PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler traded to the Bears

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

WMD
02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/28/cutler-upset-over-potential-deals-to-detroit-tampa-bay/

and Denver debated it?????????

Per Adam Schefter:

There’s one story behind the trade of Matt Cassel to the Chiefs. There’s a whole other story behind that blockbuster story.

While New England and Kansas City were agreeing to Saturday’s trade of Cassel to the Chiefs for the draft’s 34th overall pick (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80efe755&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true), there were more teams in the mix. Detroit, Tampa and Denver were involved in trade talks of their own also tied to Cassel, according to sources in the respective NFL cities.

Tampa approached Denver to try to make a three-way trade that would have sent Cassel to the Broncos and quarterback Jay Cutler to the Buccaneers. The Broncos entertained the notion and pondered it but ultimately decided against it.

Also, the Lions approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler, trying to dangle Cassel as bait. Once again, Denver debated the deal and opted against it apparently. What made it a moot point was that while all Tampa, Detroit and Denver engaged in trade talks with New Engalnd, the Patriots went ahead and dealt Cassel to the Chiefs.

The Broncos firmly maintain that they never intended to trade Cutler, that they were approached to make the trades. But, as of Saturday afternoon, Cutler was angry to hear that his name had been floated in any trade conversations.

Now the Chiefs have Cassel, the Broncos still have Cutler and the Lions and Buccaneers continue their search for quarterbacks in one of the wilder and more complex behind-the-scene dramas the NFL has seen in any recent offseason.

Xonraider
02-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Jay Cutler please start hating the Broncos and go nuts and become cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CashmoneyDrew
02-28-2009, 02:38 PM
If this is true.............

Get on it Titans.

regoob2
02-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Why would Denver trade Cutler?

Basileus777
02-28-2009, 02:44 PM

Apparently he's no Matt Cassel.

GB12
02-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Also, the Lions approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler, trying to dangle Cassel as bait.
This is hilarious. Dangling a player they don't even have as trade bait. Oh Lions, you would.

CashmoneyDrew
02-28-2009, 02:52 PM
This is hilarious. Dangling a player they don't even have as trade bait. Oh Lions, you would.

Hmmmm.... Would that not be tampering? I know it would be pretty hard to prove, but still.

WMD
02-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Hmmmm.... Would that not be tampering? I know it would be pretty hard to prove, but still.
How would it be tampering? They were trying to work a 3 Team trade just like Tampa Bay was.

I wonder what the deal would have been..

CashmoneyDrew
02-28-2009, 02:55 PM
IDK, I'm just talking out of my ass as always I reckon.

WMD
02-28-2009, 02:56 PM
IDK, I'm just talking out of my ass as always I reckon.
Obviously the side effects of losing Eric King to the Lions.. just trying to bring us down. It's not gonna happen.

Geo
02-28-2009, 02:57 PM
It was on the lark that McDaniels might rather have Cassel, who he worked with in NE.

Please understand that the rest of the world doesn't deify Cutler like SWDC does.

CashmoneyDrew
02-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Obviously the side effects of losing Eric King to the Lions.. just trying to bring us down. It's not gonna happen.

I'm more worried about Chris Carr. TitanHope is like Eric King's #1 fan though. I think we should put a SWDC suicide watch out on him. :D

LonghornsLegend
02-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Ehhh, that doesn't seem very logical...What young QB has shown the progression and upside of Cutler? I don't see any scenario where Denver would want to do that deal at all, and to make it seem like Detroit and Tampa Bay were the ones who said "no thanks" makes it hard to believe for me.

Shane P. Hallam
02-28-2009, 03:02 PM
The Bucs/Pats called the Broncos. They were just entertaining offers. I HIGHLY doubt this was serious.

Basileus777
02-28-2009, 03:05 PM
The Bucs/Pats called the Broncos. They were just entertaining offers. I HIGHLY doubt this was serious.

Well Schefter was saying that Denver were interested in Cassel.

WMD
02-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Well Schefter was saying that Denver was interesting in Cassel.
If JBond says it wasn't serious, it wasn't freaking serious.

Splat
02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Just wow....

PACKmanN
02-28-2009, 03:12 PM
It was on the lark that McDaniels might rather have Cassel, who he worked with in NE.

Please understand that the rest of the world doesn't deify Cutler like SWDC does.

If McDaniels likes Cassel over Cutler, he should be fired right now.

02-28-2009, 03:12 PM
redonkulous..absolutely idiotic...if the lions could have pulled something like this off, then well damn it, I would have given their front office a thumbs up

Geo
02-28-2009, 03:13 PM
If McDaniels likes Cassel over Cutler, he should be fired right now.
Good news, he doesn't! :D

Shane P. Hallam
02-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Well Schefter was saying that Denver was interesting in Cassel.

Think of it this way. You are the Broncos, you get called up. "Hey Broncos, you give up Cutler, I think we can do a three-way deal where you get Cassel, a third round pick, and Mike Vrabel" You had no plans to trade Cutler, but what the hell, let's just talk it out and see what the offer becomes. Add onto the fact that we have the guy that made Cassel a Pro Bowl QB last year. Worth a quick ponder, then a quick rejection

"The Broncos turned down both offers after "entertaining the notion." Schefter was clear that the Broncos only fielded calls and did not instigate talks."

WMD
02-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Michael Smith said that the Broncos were trying to do the trade through Minnesota, Detroit, and Tampa Bay.. where the Broncos would get Cassel, the Vikes/Lions/Bucs would get Cutler, and the Pats would get draft picks from the two teams.

Babylon
02-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I think they're probably all talking if nothing else but to justify their salaries. Why would Denver want to move Cutler? come on try to be halfway sane.

TitleTown088
02-28-2009, 05:14 PM
What's this say about the draft? Perhaps I'm right and this indicates the Lions are not interested in taking Stafford and his fat contract #1 overall.

Babylon
02-28-2009, 05:18 PM
What's this say about the draft? Perhaps I'm right and this indicates the Lions are not interested in taking Stafford and his fat contract #1 overall.

You're reading too much into it i believe. Even if there were talks between Detroit and Denver there is no way in hell they get leaked. If they did you've not only soured your Pro Bowl QB in Cutler but also your top pick in Stafford. Heck maybe they dont care who they piss off.

WMD
02-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I say it indicates the Lions want Stafford but if they could, they would bypass the growing pains that come with drafting a QB. Stafford and Cutler are exactly 100% the same, am I right??

UK Cards Fan
02-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Wow. I am stunned by this. Jay Cutler is, in my opinion, very close to being an elite QB, and for McDaniels to even consider trading him is crazy, and will get him off to a very bad start in Denver.

I was gutted when Arizona missed Jay in the Draft, and as much as I love Kurt Warner, I would give up practically whatever Denver wanted, if it meant having Cutler throw the ball to Larry and Anquan for the next few years.

Babylon
02-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Wow. I am stunned by this. Jay Cutler is, in my opinion, very close to being an elite QB, and for McDaniels to even consider trading him is crazy, and will get him off to a very bad start in Denver.

I was gutted when Arizona missed Jay in the Draft, and as much as I love Kurt Warner, I would give up practically whatever Denver wanted, if it meant having Cutler throw the ball to Larry and Anquan for the next few years.

I dont think there is any evidence of this and there never will be. Sure others could ask about Jay but nobody in Denver would be stupid enough to initiate those discussions.

WMD
02-28-2009, 05:32 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.cutler.nfl.2.946829.html

"I've heard the rumors," Cutler told CBS4 in Denver. "I know what they're trying to do. Even though I love Denver and I'd love to remain a Bronco, I know how this business works. If they want me to play somewhere else, so be it."

also

CBS4 has also learned tight end Tony Scheffler has also been mentioned in trade talks.

CBS4's Gary Miller spoke with Broncos GM Brian Xanders Saturday afternoon. Xanders denied any plans to trade Cutler, saying "We are not trying to trade Jay Cutler. We will not trade Jay Cutler. He's a Pro Bowl Quarterback." He went on to say, "you can ask Josh McDaniels, and he'll tell you the same thing." Miller did approach McDaniels, who said he was not going to answer any questions. However, Cutler confirmed to CBS4 that he is aware that trade talks have taken place.

UK Cards Fan
02-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Cutler has appeared to suggest that Denver initiated the trade. There's also reports that Denver tried to get Minnesota to bite on Cassell and receive Cutler.

eazyb81
02-28-2009, 05:39 PM
LOL, this whole storyline is hilarious.

I wonder what McDaniels sees in Cutler that he doesn't like. He probably thinks he's too much of a gunslinger and can't be counted on.

gramage
02-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Here's how that call should have gone: "Hello. Sure we can discuss a trade who are you looking to get? I'm sorry could you repeat that? Are you serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" click.

Getting good quarterback play is hard enough and even if you think Cutler has a low ceiling and this is all your gonna get (I don't) it's still better then about 20 teams.

If this is what has taken over in the post Shanahan era the AFC west just got a whole lot weaker.

M.O.T.H.
02-28-2009, 05:44 PM
meh..Michael Smith made is seem like Mcdaniels was dead set on getting Cassel by any means. He brought up several teams the Broncos started talking 3 team trade with to get Cassel in a Bronco uniform.

UK Cards Fan
02-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Now ESPN are claiming that Cutler is demanding to be traded.

Well, I guess Josh McDaniels must know something that 95% of NFL fans don't...!

A Pro Bowl QB in Year 3, whom several experts rate as having the best chance of being the next "elite" QB, and you consider / try to trade him?

What the hell... This is crazy.

Caddy
02-28-2009, 05:48 PM
I would take Jay Cutler in Tampa Bay in a heartbeat. But I highly doubt this would have ever even eventuated despite the rumours flying around.

Babylon
02-28-2009, 05:51 PM

A Pro Bowl QB in Year 3, whom several experts rate as having the best chance of being the next "elite" QB, and you consider / try to trade him?

I'm with you in that what the hell camp. I guess if they see something there that they dont like in Cutler so be it. I would think if you're some other team that wants a pro bowl QB now is the time to act. I dont get it personally but i dont claim to know everything.

M.O.T.H.
02-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Maybe Mcdaniels just doesnt like him...lots of people hate Cutler's personality. haha.

Dr. Gonzo
02-28-2009, 05:53 PM
I doubt Cutler actually demanded to be traded but if he did I think the Vikings should do whatever it takes to get him. **** sugar Sage, Cutler would be the solution to what has been one of the Vikings biggest problems for a while now. I doubt Cutler becomes a Viking any time soon (and probably never) but I can dream.

M.O.T.H.
02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
According to Smith, the Vikings were in talks but, they made the Sage deal and were happy with that.

So obviously...Rosenfels>Cutler :D

WMD
02-28-2009, 05:55 PM

#20 for Cutler

or

#1 for #12, Jay Cutler, and a 3rd :)

Done deal.

Babylon
02-28-2009, 05:58 PM
I guess we can assume that the prize for Denver was Cassel so therefore now that he is gone they wouldnt trade Jay for the sake of getting rid of him.

My guess is this story will die pretty quickly and the only casualty will be Cutler's ego. That's what they get paid the big bread for i guess, to put up with stupidity by the front office.

OzTitan
02-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Cutler demanding to be traded? really? Is there a link with some more info on this?

If so, wow. All they did was listen to offers Jay, yeesh.

Babylon
02-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Cutler demanding to be traded? really? Is there a link with some more info on this?

If so, wow. All they did was listen to offers Jay, yeesh.

Sounds like a whole lot of overreaction to me. I wouldnt choose sides here.

UK Cards Fan
02-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Apparently, ESPN radio is reporting this.

Just had a look at the Denver forum, and some have said this has been going down for weeks? (Well, why was the compensation for Cassel so low?)

That said, I know Cutler and McDaniels didn't speak for a long time after McDaniels hire, but how can an offensive "guru" such as McDaniels be willing to sacrifice a potentially elite QB? And now that Cassel has gone, this could get nasty. Some Denver fans seem to want McDaniels out!

Or this could all be a non story!

Babylon
02-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Apparently, ESPN radio is reporting this.

Just had a look at the Denver forum, and some have said this has been going down for weeks? (Well, why was the compensation for Cassel so low?)

That said, I know Cutler and McDaniels didn't speak for a long time after McDaniels hire, but how can an offensive "guru" such as McDaniels be willing to sacrifice a potentially elite QB? And now that Cassel has gone, this could get nasty. Some Denver fans seem to want McDaniels out!

Or this could all be a non story!

That pretty much sums it up.

ninerfan
02-28-2009, 06:09 PM
This whole things makes no sense

eazyb81
02-28-2009, 06:09 PM
That pretty much sums it up.

FWIW, Clayton also reported it on ESPNews.

Still, this is probably much ado about nothing. There's no point to trade Cutler now that the QB they really wanted is gone.

Babylon
02-28-2009, 06:12 PM

Still, this is probably much ado about nothing. There's no point to trade Cutler now that the QB they really wanted is gone.

Clayton would be the one guy i would respect there. This is probably going to die a quick death but Jay Cutler doesnt sound happy.

Things like this make guys think about leaving when they become FAs. It's one thing for someone to say i'd trade anyone if they offered Peyton Manning or Larry Fitzgerald, those things are almost a compliment but not Matt Cassel.

RaiderNation
02-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Do it Denver. Send him off to Tampa or Detroit. It will help your team out ALOT :D

OzTitan
02-28-2009, 06:20 PM

That won't stop the QB they apparently wanted to replace expressing a desire to be moved though I guess.

BaLLiN
02-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I doubt this is right, Cutler would not want out IMO because the season he just had with Brandon Marshal was absolute magic, Tampa doesnt have a reciever like BM, and when you factor in Eddie Royal's emergence along with the signing of Jabar Gaffney i dont think he'd take 0-16 Detroit even with Calvin there.

They're trying to get a run game going, JJ Arrington, Buckhalter, both decent players.

Menardo75
02-28-2009, 06:48 PM
If this whole rumor is true then that's a really dumb move by McDaniels. That essencially shows that he has no confidence in a pro bowl QB.

TitleTown088
02-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Stafford and Cutler are exactly 100% the same, am I right??

Think about Stafford's potential contract, maybe detroit dosent want to spend that much on a rookie QB.

Chief49er
02-28-2009, 07:54 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1666/Source--Spurned-Cutler-wants-to-be-traded.html

BlindSite
02-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Trade him to Carolina for Peppers!!!!!!!!

Interesting stuff, I wonder how serious it is, I mean hell this "source" could be a gardener who once mowed his lawn.

M.O.T.H.
02-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Honestly, the chances of him getting traded now are minute. They're stuck with eachother. It's not like they're looking to fill his position with a rookie Qb and they wont find better on the open market.

Splat
02-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Even if Jay wants out he is not going any where no way what so ever long time before the season he will calm down.

Halsey
02-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Stafford and Cutler are very similar, except I've never seen Stafford show any of the diva behavior Cutler sometimes shows. You could make an argument both for and against the Lions trading the #1 pick for Cutler. Any other team who needs a QB should just straight up offer Denver their first, no questions asked.

Smokey Joe
02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
How would it be tampering? They were trying to work a 3 Team trade just like Tampa Bay was.

I wonder what the deal would have been..
My guess would be:

-Pats get pick no. 33 from Lions OR a 2009 AND 2010 2nd rounder from Tampa

-Denver gets Cassel and either the bucs or lions (#20) 1st rounder and maybe another mid round pick

-Tampa or Detroit gets Cutler

Xiomera
02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't think Detroit would be dealing #1 for Cutler.

It'd be #20 and something . . .

I am just beside myself trying to make some sense of this.

the decider13
02-28-2009, 08:49 PM
This won't happen...I would have to take a time out from my bronco fandom.

I'm with njx, this is pretty much a BS report. Denver was offered a trade for Jay, and they declined. I really can't see them actively shopping a pro bowl, stud, quarterback with limitless potential. It would have to be a herschal walker like trade for bronco nation to be super pissed.

steelersfan43
02-28-2009, 08:56 PM
I hope he refuses to play and they trade him lol. It would Spice up the offseason a little and make njx angry.

Brothgar
02-28-2009, 09:07 PM
I doubt this is right, Cutler would not want out IMO because the season he just had with Brandon Marshal was absolute magic, Tampa doesnt have a reciever like BM, and when you factor in Eddie Royal's emergence along with the signing of Jabar Gaffney i dont think he'd take 0-16 Detroit even with Calvin there.

They're trying to get a run game going, JJ Arrington, Buckhalter, both decent players.

If he did that well with Brandon Marshal imagine how well he'd do with Calvin Johnson. if it was for the #20 there would be a franchise LT there at the top of the draft probobly Eugene Monroe or someone. Cutler's ego would let him think I could be seen as the savior of the Lions.

Xiomera
02-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Just the possibility that this ever could have happened has officially made me consider this offseason a colossal failure for the Lions.

I love Stafford, but for the price of either 20 or 33 to have gotten Cutler or Cassel just infuriates me.

**** you Martin Mayhew.

FuzzyGopher
02-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Just the possibility that this ever could have happened has officially made me consider this offseason a colossal failure for the Lions.

I love Stafford, but for the price of either 20 or 33 to have gotten Cutler or Cassel just infuriates me.

**** you Martin Mayhew.

What would Matt Millen do?

RaiderNation
02-28-2009, 09:17 PM
What would Matt Millen do?

Trade for Cutler and draft Crabtree.... Crabtree/ Calvin Johnson= CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Babylon
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Stafford and Cutler are very similar, except I've never seen Stafford show any of the diva behavior Cutler sometimes shows. You could make an argument both for and against the Lions trading the #1 pick for Cutler. Any other team who needs a QB should just straight up offer Denver their first, no questions asked.

There isnt any scenario where Denver would move Cutler without getting a top tier QB in return (apparently they thought Cassel was that). I dont see them just trading him for a non QB no matter how good the guy is.

Babylon
02-28-2009, 09:22 PM

**** you Martin Mayhew.

Dont forget you would have got Vrabel too:)

phenomenal_waffles
02-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Schefter already confirmed hours ago that McDaniels never tried to shop Cutler. Tampa and Detroit offered trades for Cutler, and Denver denied them.

McDaniels also said the same thing.

Menardo75
02-28-2009, 09:25 PM
If Cutler leaves because of McDaniels then he should be fired right away. Really poor move by McDaniels.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-28-2009, 09:25 PM
This won't happen...I would have to take a time out from my bronco fandom.

I have already reserved the new moniker slightlyabroncosfan

Babylon
02-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Schefter already confirmed hours ago that McDaniels never tried to shop Cutler. Tampa and Detroit offered trades for Cutler, and Denver denied them.

McDaniels also said the same thing.

Wasnt Schefter the one that started the whole thing in the first place?. At least nobody in here overreacted to the story.

phenomenal_waffles
If Cutler leaves because of McDaniels then he should be fired right away. Really poor move by McDaniels.

McDaniels didn't do anything. He was offered a trade for Cutler, not the other way around.

Halsey
There isnt any scenario where Denver would move Cutler without getting a top tier QB in return (apparently they thought Cassel was that). I dont see them just trading him for a non QB no matter how good the guy is.

I didn't think they would try to trade him for Cassel, so if that report were to be true, maybe they don't think as highly of him as others. If he doesn't want to be there, and they don;t think that highly of him, maybe they would take a 1st rounder for him. The report probably isn't true in the first place, so...

Babylon
02-28-2009, 09:35 PM
I didn't think they would try to trade him for Cassel, so if that report were to be true, maybe they don't think as highly of him as others. If he doesn't want to be there, and they don;t think that highly of him, maybe they would take a 1st rounder for him. The report probably isn't true in the first place, so...

If you believe half of what you read on the internet there seems to be a lot of back peddling on the whole subject. Sounds like Jay isnt too happy. I guess they could move him but he's worth a lot more than just a #1 that's for sure. What does Denver do trade him and draft a Mark Sanchez? Dont think so.

MetSox17
02-28-2009, 09:37 PM
So the minute someone says anything remotely controversial in regards to his status on the team, you have to trade him? Cutler isn't going anywhere, half the crap that comes out on "reports" is bogus, the other half is fluff for the bogus BS.

WMD
02-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Chris Mortensen said that Cutler hasn't demanded to be traded.

jnew76
02-28-2009, 09:45 PM
With all these Cassel rumors I am curious to see what the deal he makes with the Chiefs is worth. I am thinking like 6 years 60 million, with 20-25 million guaranteed.

WMD
02-28-2009, 09:51 PM

**** you Martin Mayhew.
No need to talk bad about Mayhew.. Maybe they just don't like Cassel as a franchise QB.. and :rolleyes: Kowalski :rolleyes: says that a deal could still be in the works for Cutler..

I doubt either happens, I assume Denver would only be up for moving Cutler if they got Cassel in return.

DJC
02-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Maybe Denver's original intentions were to only trade Cutler if they could get Cassel, as insane as that is. But now it seems like it might backfire on them if it proves to be true. They may have pissed Cutler off so bad that he will demand a trade, and then the Broncos don't have a choice and might have to move him anyways, even though Cassel isn't available anymore.

^Bucs fan's wishful thinking

BlindSite
02-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah, it's a bit of a mountain out of a molehill if Cutler is really upset about this. Lets face it, if a team calls with a "trade offer" and you take the call, you've discussed trading cutler even if the discussion consisted of "lol no"

MetSox17
02-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Besides, any GM that blows off any trade offers for players is doing a disservice to his team and ownership. You're always looking to improve your team, and in my sincere opinion, there isn't one player in the NFL that is absolutely untouchable.

Halsey
02-28-2009, 10:15 PM
It's funny the way the media and fans have begun to totally overanalyze the Lions #1 overall pick. They just need to take Stafford and do everything they can to set him, and the rest of their team, up to succeed. It's not a curse to have the #1 overall pick and take a QB if, ya know, he turns out to be a good QB and stuff. You didn't see teams like the Colts and Giants going into fits of anxiety when they took a QB #1 overall. The Lions need to follow the example the Falcons set with Ryan: Draft him, sign him as early as possible, draft other good players with the rest of the draft and then get to work. No need for overanalysis.

Xiomera
02-28-2009, 10:28 PM
No need to talk bad about Mayhew.. Maybe they just don't like Cassel as a franchise QB.. and :rolleyes: Kowalski :rolleyes: says that a deal could still be in the works for Cutler..

I doubt either happens, I assume Denver would only be up for moving Cutler if they got Cassel in return.

I need someone to blame for this. Might as well be Mayhew.

Why the **** wouldn't the Lions trade #33 for Cassel?

WMD
02-28-2009, 11:04 PM
I need someone to blame for this. Might as well be Mayhew.

Why the **** wouldn't the Lions trade #33 for Cassel?
Maybe they've checked him out and don't think he's a guy worth passing on Stafford for..

Xiomera
02-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Maybe because they've checked him out and don't think he's a guy worth passing on Stafford for?

I hope that's the case then. But going to all that trouble trying to get Cutler could just as easily be interpreted as a lack of confidence that Stafford is our guy.

GB12
02-28-2009, 11:07 PM
I don't think Detroit would be dealing #1 for Cutler.

It'd be #20 and something . . .

I am just beside myself trying to make some sense of this.
If Cutler was actually available you should give up #1 for him in a second. Why would you use #1 on Stafford, but not Cutler?

Xiomera
02-28-2009, 11:09 PM
If Cutler was actually available you should give up #1 for him in a second. Why would you use #1 on Stafford, but not Cutler?

I would trade #1 for Cutler.

It just didn't sound like it would have required that to get him.

Oh well, it's a moot point now. He isn't ever coming to Detroit.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Besides, any GM that blows off any trade offers for players is doing a disservice to his team and ownership. You're always looking to improve your team, and in my sincere opinion, there isn't one player in the NFL that is absolutely untouchable.

Yeah, I'm assuming the only reason he didn't laugh immediately is because if they could get Cassell+some high picks and a defensive starter or two out of it it's not a TERRIBLE deal.

EDIT: Assuming we draft better than we did in the Shanny era.

HawkeyeFan
02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Please St. Louis!!!! Acquire Him!!!

JRTPlaya21
02-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Washington get on that! Infact why don't we just go get T.J. too and buy up a damn ring.

gpngc
02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
This whole thing is really silly but here's what I just heard... very interesting...

Michael Smith said the Bucs would've given up their 1st and 3rd for Cutler, then the Broncos would trade #12 for Cassel.

Don't know why the Broncos wouldn't offer 19 instead of 12...

Anyway how crazy that would've been. Pats fans would've been a lot happier.

Patriots get: #12

Broncos get: Matt Cassel, #19, Bucs 3rd rounder

Bucs get: Jay Cutler (And then they'd have no picks until round four)

Crazy.

GB12
02-28-2009, 11:50 PM
This whole thing is really silly but here's what I just heard... very interesting...

Michael Smith said the Bucs would've given up their 1st and 3rd for Cutler, then the Broncos would trade #12 for Cassel.

Don't know why the Broncos wouldn't offer 19 instead of 12...

Anyway how crazy that would've been. Pats fans would've been a lot happier.

Patriots get: #12

Broncos get: Matt Cassel, #19, Bucs 3rd rounder

Bucs get: Jay Cutler (And then they'd have no picks until round four)

Crazy.
The Broncos would be getting ripped off.

Jay Cutler for Matt Cassel straight up would be an absolutely terrible trade, and in that scenario they are getting even less than that.

PoopSandwich
03-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Brady Quinn for Jay Cutler :)

Monomach
03-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton, Nathan Vasher, and #18 overall.

DO IT, MCDANIELS! ;)

San Diego Chicken
03-01-2009, 02:20 AM
I haven't heard much about a contract extension for Cutler, what's the word on that? Denver could be nervous because Cutler's a borderline headcase and prima-donna. If you asked NFL people who they would want between Cutler and Matt Ryan, I bet 9 out of 10 of them would take Ryan, because he has the characteristics of a strong leader who has the complete trust of everyone in the organization.

Ness
03-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Not a good start for the Broncos. Perhaps firing Shanahan wasn't such a good idea after all.

D-Rod
03-01-2009, 06:32 AM
What the hell was McDaniel thinking?

Damnit, Cutler had better not end up on the Bucs. ****.

Saints-Tigers
03-01-2009, 07:58 AM
I haven't heard much about a contract extension for Cutler, what's the word on that? Denver could be nervous because Cutler's a borderline headcase and prima-donna. If you asked NFL people who they would want between Cutler and Matt Ryan, I bet 9 out of 10 of them would take Ryan, because he has the characteristics of a strong leader who has the complete trust of everyone in the organization.

Give me a break, even im not a big Cutler fan, but he's not that bad, he's just cocky. Headcase? give me a break.

Smokey Joe
03-01-2009, 08:06 AM
I think this is a big non-story. I guarantee McDaniels called/will call or meet with Cutler and basically tell him that teams contacted him about a trade for you, but that Cutler's still his guy.

Jimmy
03-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Honestly. Cutler Scares me. I've said a lot good about him, but I'd still be kinda happy if it happened... yet... who would be our quarterback?

Xiomera
03-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Honestly. Cutler Scares me. I've said a lot good about him, but I'd still be kinda happy if it happened... yet... who would be our quarterback?

Trade for Kevin O'Connell? Matt Gutierrez?

Burger
03-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Trade for Kevin O'Connell? Matt Gutierrez?

I would take Kevin O'Connell if I was the vikings/lions.

WMD
03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
John David Booty.

Xiomera
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
John David Booty.

A trio of Byron Leftwich, J.P. Losman, and Patrick Ramsey would suffice too.

GB12
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Brett Favre.

Babylon
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Cutler was telling the Denver Post that he thinks the team is trying to trade him. I would think that there would be some serious interest but at what price.

Carolina, Julius Peppers?
Tampa, Jeff Garcia, draft picks?
Tennessee, Vince Young, draft picks?
Houston, Matt Schaub, picks?

nepg
03-01-2009, 02:00 PM
I would take Kevin O'Connell if I was the vikings/lions.

I really like O'Connell... It sucks that McDaniels is gone, but Kevin still has a ton of potential, and is surrounded by a great situation in New England. He'll get the accelerated version of what Matt Cassel's path.

With Brady out for now, O'Connell will be preparing as the starter. That will be huge for his development and for his worth as Brady's backup.
________
Sharonhotxxx live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Sharonhotxxx)

WMD
03-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Cutler was telling the Denver Post that he thinks the team is trying to trade him. I would think that there would be some serious interest but at what price.

Lions will offer Cory Redding, Drew Stanton, and Pick #33!

Stanton > Cassel

d34ng3l021
03-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Not a good start for the Broncos. Perhaps firing Shanahan wasn't such a good idea after all.

Perhaps entertaining the idea of trading your franchise QB who made the pro bowl in his 2nd full season starting wasn't a good idea.

However, Cutler is being a ***** about this now.

Burger
03-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Perhaps entertaining the idea of trading your franchise QB who made the pro bowl in his 2nd full season starting wasn't a good idea.

Wouldn't you be a douche about being traded, after you were one of the best?

steelersfan43
03-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Did stanton ever get a chance to start? Surely he is better then overslky(canat spell, self safety er)

Ness
03-01-2009, 02:18 PM

You wouldn't be upset? We don't even know both sides of the story in their entirety. To automatically label the Broncos organization as "the good guys" is not logical.

CC.SD
03-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Cutler's ego is bruised, time to go to the press.

"I know they love playing for me and I love playing for them," Cutler said. "There's going to be a lot of problems if they try to trade me. Well, they've already tried to trade me, but if they trade me for sure."

Keep it in house, Jay. Now Clayton says there's a trade demand? yikes

d34ng3l021
03-01-2009, 02:21 PM
You wouldn't be upset? We don't even know both sides of the story in their entirety. To automatically label the Broncos organization as "the good guys" is not logical.

I would be upset, yes, but to continue to try to talk out trade negotiations on my own or demand a trade? It just puts the franchise in a terrible spot. Maybe refuse to sign a long term deal and hit FA in 2 years and get paid.

MetSox17
03-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Jeff Garcia is a FA. Vince Young has absolutely no market value, Matt Schaub a little bit more but not much either since he's often injured. The only one of those that would make sense is Julius Peppers, but i would ask for a little more than that. Peppers is gonna hit 30 soon.

StorminNorman
03-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Cutler will end up with a nice, large contract extension out of this.

sbh15
03-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Cutler will end up with a nice, large contract extension out of this.

I accidently skipped over the word "contract" when I read this...

GB12
03-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Did stanton ever get a chance to start? Surely he is better then overslky(canat spell, self safety er)

No, he isn't. Stanton sucks so much he couldn't even see the field on an 0-16 team that doesn't have a quarterback. If Stanton was anything at all he would have been given a chance. He busted so hard he couldn't buy a chance.

San Diego Chicken
03-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Give me a break, even im not a big Cutler fan, but he's not that bad, he's just cocky. Headcase? give me a break.

Well, you need to wake up and pay attention. Cutler's a good player, but he has a lousy attitude.

steelersfan43
03-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Phillip rivers' attitude is 1.942x10^38 times worse then cutlers.

Lol @ charger fans bashing cutler for his attitude.

San Diego Chicken
03-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Phillip rivers' attitude is 1.942x10^38 times worse then cutlers.

Lol @ charger fans bashing cutler for his attitude.

Oh really? When was the last time Rivers publically criticized his organization? Cutler's done it twice in the last two months.

Think a little bit before you post.

the decider13
03-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Jay is my favorite player, but he is kind of a diva. He isnt doing much to help that reputation. Hopefully he matures a little bit and just focuses on playing good football.

sbh15
03-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Oh really? When was the last time Rivers publically criticized his organization? Cutler's done it twice in the last two months.

Think a little bit before you post.

If Rivers' name was being thrown around in trade talks the year after a Pro Bowl season...

Dontcha think he'd be a little bit peeved?

thetedginnshow
03-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Peppers and a 2nd for Cutler would make sense.

Brodeur
03-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Who the hell would start for Denver? Darrell Hack-ney?

CashmoneyDrew
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM

They'd re-sign the great Patrick Ramsey of course.

San Diego Chicken
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
If Rivers' name was being thrown around in trade talks the year after a Pro Bowl season...

Rivers never has a negative thing to say to the media, so the worst thing he would probably say is "no comment".

The fact that Rivers's name is NOT being thrown around, and instead is in talks about a 100 million dollar extension tells you all you need to know.

That said, I'm not going to get into yet another Rivers/Cutler debate.

Brodeur
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
They'd re-sign the great Patrick Ramsey of course.

Didn't he sign with Houston?

thetedginnshow
03-01-2009, 04:05 PM

Well in making the trade I'd assume they'd see something in Sanchez or the great Tyler Thigpen.

CashmoneyDrew
03-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Didn't he sign with Houston?

No clue. I know the Texans signed Orlovsky. Don't know why they'd sign two veteran QBs in FA.

Brodeur
03-01-2009, 04:08 PM
No clue. I know the Texans signed Orlovsky. Don't know why they'd sign two veteran QBs in FA.

Ah well I guess they didn't, not sure where I read that though.

Vox Populi
03-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Jay Cutler is a little brat. He needs to grow up and this doesn't entirely have to do with this situation at all.

Babylon
03-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Jay Cutler is a little brat. He needs to grow up and this doesn't entirely have to do with this situation at all.

Come on that's a little overboard. He didnt break the story on ESPN. Give the guy a break. He makes the pro bowl then trade rumors surface, i'd be a little annoyed too.

jth1331
03-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Calling Jay Cutler out after the Broncos entertained trade offers and then when his agent calls, they never go out and say "Jay is our guy."
In Cutler's mind, the organization doesn't think too highly of him. Why would he be happy to be in a place where the front heads don't like him so much?

Still, McDaniels and Xanders are pissing me off. How can you talk trade with one of the best young QB's in the league? And then not come back out and say "Jay is our guy". Completely ridiculous.

BlindSite
03-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Have Peppers and Delhomme for Cutler.

Xenos
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Come on that's a little overboard. He didnt break the story on ESPN. Give the guy a break. He makes the pro bowl then trade rumors surface, i'd be a little annoyed too.
I understand he's upset, but I think he's taking it a little too far with his comments like not being able to sleep, and like he was being betrayed by his girlfriend or some weird nonsense like that. I think his contempt for the media overall made him come off even worse in general.

Niners_2152
03-01-2009, 06:16 PM
This whole things makes no sense

About as much sense as us wanting Warner... :confused:

Flyboy
03-01-2009, 06:36 PM

I'm with you on this one.. I don't see why so many people are so fast to call Cutler the bad guy in this.

GET LOOSE
03-01-2009, 06:38 PM
I like Cassel a lot but you have a very young pro bowl QB in Cutler. Stupid to even think of trading him for Cassel. I understand why he is pissed off

Wrathman
03-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Cutler was right to be angry but he needs to learn how to conduct himself with the media. It's Cutler's personality that had Denver considering Cassel, not his performance.

Babylon
03-01-2009, 06:40 PM
I understand he's upset, but I think he's taking it a little too far with his comments like not being able to sleep, and like he was being betrayed by his girlfriend or some weird nonsense like that. I think his contempt for the media overall made him come off even worse in general.

Athletes need to be pampered we know that. Who really knows what's going on there. If they really would entertain thoughts of trading him it is probably wise to pursue it. The Delhomme and Peppers deal might work out for both teams. Southern guys like Cutler probably would rather play close to home anyway.

If someone has any idea what is going on there let me know because i'm in the dark on this one, it just seems bizaar.

Bigburt63
03-01-2009, 06:46 PM
I guess this means that McDaniels REALLY likes Cassel

CC.SD
03-01-2009, 06:49 PM

For all its flaws, the Chargers organization has supreme confidence in Rivers, that much is obvious. I'm not so sure you can say that about the Broncos right now, hence this situation. They're not the same player so I don't think your hypothetical holds up.

Babylon
03-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I guess this means that McDaniels REALLY likes Cassel

Espn would lead you to that conclusion.

the decider13
03-01-2009, 07:02 PM

I think everyone needs a source besides ESPN. Read that story on CBS and it is pretty clear that Jay is going no where.

NJX9isafaggggg
03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
This sucks. Denver used to be one of the top organizations in the NFL and now they are sinking to the Browns level of incompetence.

CC.SD
03-01-2009, 07:12 PM

I think everyone needs a source besides ESPN. Read that story on CBS and it is pretty clear that Jay is going no where.

The first paragraph in that article mentions that Denver is trying to meet with Jay and he has no plans to speak to them...I doubt he gets away under any circumstance but this is officially big time drama.

Babylon
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
This sucks. Denver used to be one of the top organizations in the NFL and now they are sinking to the Browns level of incompetence.

Come on they havent sunk that low:)

CC.SD
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Come on they havent sunk that low:)

"Hi it's Tampa Bay...want to trade your QB to us?"

----Click----

That it went any further than that might prove you wrong, Babs.

Bigburt63
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Espn would lead you to that conclusion.

Well I meant if it were true of course

the decider13
03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
The first paragraph in that article mentions that Denver is trying to meet with Jay and he has no plans to speak to them...I doubt he gets away under any circumstance but this is officially big time drama.

I agree that there is some diva drama going on, but there is no danger of him going anywhere.

LonghornsLegend
03-01-2009, 07:36 PM
For all its flaws, the Chargers organization has supreme confidence in Rivers, that much is obvious. I'm not so sure you can say that about the Broncos right now, hence this situation. They're not the same player so I don't think your hypothetical holds up.

I wish you guys would stop comparing the situation, if Rivers was Denver's QB and McDaniels comes in who says he still doesn't try and trade for Cassell? That was his guy and he may of wanted him regardless, the Broncos are going through an entire rebuild in the organization right now, the Chargers aren't.

If we saw AJ Smith get fired along with Norv and new guys are coming in were talking about a whole different scenario, if these guys came into Denver and are talking about trading Cutler and haven't spoken with him at all I'd be pretty pissed too...I've never heard of something like this before honestly and I can think of plenty of other QB's in the NFL who would be just as pissed.

CC.SD
03-01-2009, 07:40 PM
I wish you guys would stop comparing the situation, if Rivers were San Diego's QB and McDaniels comes in who says he still doesn't try and trade for Cassell? That was his guy and he may of wanted him regardless, the Broncos are going through an entire rebuild in the organization right now, the Chargers aren't.

If we saw AJ Smith get fired along with Norv and new guys are coming in were talking about a whole different scenario, if these guys came into Denver and are talking about trading Cutler and haven't spoken with him at all I'd be pretty pissed too...I've never heard of something like this before honestly and I can think of plenty of other QB's in the NFL who would be just as pissed.

I agree it's not comparable, that post you quoted was the first thing i've said about any kind of Rivers comparison. Barring insane hypotheticals we'll never know.

But seriously, why did McDaniels sign with Denver? It doesn't make sense if it wasn't for a chance to have Cutler run his system. He could have gone anywhere and traded for Cassell. Right? He's not a total moron, he knows that Denver right now= Cutler.

bigbluedefense
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Dumbest HC in NFL history?

Id fire him yesterday for even thinking about it. Take your SCHEMEZ and shove em up your ass.

Moron.

NJX9isahomoo
03-01-2009, 07:58 PM
We fire Shanny so we can bring in a 32 year old Bellicheat assistant, most of who are flops at head coaches? Make sense to me.

Pat Bowlen must go.

Brodeur
03-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Dumbest HC in NFL history?

Does he believe in the invisible?

Mr. Hero
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Does he believe in the invisible?

you're just making marinelli the escapegoat after your failures to get youthier.

I'm feeling awefully hateful of marbury of late, my apologies.

the decider13
03-01-2009, 08:31 PM
The more I read from Jay's agent, the more I really hate him. He is just adding fuel to the fire.

""here's an awful lot of smoke for there not to be a fire," Cook said. "If they were in fact trying to trade Jay Cutler, then I think that's a situation that's going to cause a very serious problem for the organization.

"If they weren't, maybe he forgives and forgets. But if they were, that's going to be a very difficult situation to repair."

Maybe he hasn't yet realized that most of the smoke is coming from his end. NFL drama....way worse than high school

Spartan4224
03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
No, he isn't. Stanton sucks so much he couldn't even see the field on an 0-16 team that doesn't have a quarterback. If Stanton was anything at all he would have been given a chance. He busted so hard he couldn't buy a chance.

the biggest problem with stanton is he's been hurt and martz changed the throwing motion of a guy who threw almost 70% in college. So don't say he sucks when he hasn't had a real chance!!!

Kurve
03-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Well its not gonna be long until they will regret letting Shanny go ...... typical way of thinking want always something bigger and better and after u find something else u realize how much better your old coach was. If i was Cutler id say screw this coach too rather then giving him a chance to run a team he already was running and made the pro bowl for his performance. If they cant resolve this teams who need a qb needs to offer their 1st round pick.

Mr. Hero
03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Just because one guys sucks, it doesn't take away from the previous/next guy's suckitude.

the decider13
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
qft. i do not currently, and do not foresee myself regretting shanahan being fired. i am beginning to strongly regret hiring mcdaniels. but they're completely unrelated.

I don't regret getting rid of shanny either. McDaniels wasn't my choice (Spags ftw!) but you just gotta live with it. I like some of the players he is bringing, idk if it is all his work or not.

I think Bus Cook is making more of an issue of it than anyone else is. It'll calm down in time.

steelersfan43
03-01-2009, 09:16 PM
I vote that if cutler gets traded Njx has to adopt Philip rivers as his favorite play and wear a sig stating it.

the decider13
03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
i think *everyone* is making a bigger deal out if it than it actually was. there's a quote someplace in this thread, iirc, that everyone's completely ignoring where xanders specifically says there was no intention of trading cutler.

but hey, espn made some **** up for ratings. we all might as well continue to lap it up. bloody sheep.

yep, in the article I posted from CBS (which is now on NFL.com) there is the Xanders quote you are talking about. But I don't think anyone gets that far in to the article lol

Xenos
03-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Apparently, Brandon Marshall just got arrested. Probably upset about the whole Cutler rumor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3944945

GBahDunka
03-01-2009, 11:30 PM
jay cutler is acting like an immature whiney baby.

the NFL is a business and every team has to look at all possible options in favor of the best of the team.

If denver could of gotten cassel and an extra pick; that pick could of amounted to an eventual starter.

Lots of players are looked at on trade-market and then taken off. It doesnt matter at all; the NFL is a business.

M.O.T.H.
03-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah, it's a business but, dont take the human element out of it. Anytime you're not wanted by someone/something you thought was committed to you...you can bet you're ass that can be hard to grasp and hurt. As much as it's a business they're still people and in addition to the whole emotional factor...a lot goes into getting traded. You're talking about a complete lifestyle change away from the game, uprooting your family, taking kids/siblings out of schools, etc. Some just think of these guys as products or chess pieces, there is a lot more to it than that. These things have ramifications and in the end they're just people with feelings and lives that could be greatly effected by things like this, off of that football field. He has every right to be upset by this.

GBahDunka
03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
it kind of reminds me of Simeon Rice, but the thing is if GM's and the front office look at the situation as "oh poor him we need to keep him because we dont want to hurt his life" then thats when you start losing. You have to be relentless in this league as unfortunate as that is. You need to do what you think is best for your team

Bengalsrocket
03-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Yeah, it's a business but, dont take the human element out of it. Anytime you're not wanted by someone/something you thought was committed to you...you can bet you're ass that can be hard to grasp and hurt. As much as it's a business they're still people and in addition to the whole emotional factor...a lot goes into getting traded. You're talking about a complete lifestyle change away from the game, uprooting your family, taking kids/siblings out of schools, etc. Some just think of these guys as products or chess pieces, there is a lot more to it than that. These things have ramifications and in the end they're just people with feelings and lives that could be greatly effected by things like this, off of that football field. He has every right to be upset by this.

I agree with you. However, that's part of an occupation that has potential to pay you millions of dollars for playing a game. If a person is looking for stability, I don't think being an athlete is the right choice. Again, I agree that there is a human element and it's certainly not fair to Cutler if the team is thinking about renegotiating their commitment to him. But on the other hand, I don't think he should really be pouting about this; he needs to talk this over with the team.

sbh15
03-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Jay still believes he is on the trading block...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3944555

My bad if it's been posted

LonghornsLegend
03-02-2009, 09:34 AM
This is certainly going to make for one interesting Chiefs/Broncos series next season, can't wait for the storylines.

bored of education
03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I really hope I am hired as the audio/visual assistant for the Chiefs next year!

awfullyquiet
03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
shanny would have had no part in this.

this would be non-news... way to go canning the man.

Babylon
03-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Both sides actions lead you to believe they would both like to move in a differant direction.

Bearsfan123
03-02-2009, 11:13 AM
If the Broncos are shopping Cutler the two teams that should jump would be the Bears and Detroit. Detroit can offer a package unlike anyone else for a franchise QB who would definately turn their team around, while the Bears could use Cutler to cut through Soldiers Field's swirling winds.

Babylon
03-02-2009, 11:23 AM
If the Broncos are shopping Cutler the two teams that should jump would be the Bears and Detroit. Detroit can offer a package unlike anyone else for a franchise QB who would definately turn their team around, while the Bears could use Cutler to cut through Soldiers Field's swirling winds.

Good point. I do think the rebuilding Lions will go with Stafford, less results right away but GMs love those 5 year plans.

the decider13
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
A team would have to offer the farm for me to not be super pissed about a trade. I'm thinkin...better than what the chiefs got for allen last year. But I really don't want Mark Sanchez, so that makes all trades unacceptable.

I'm watching sportscenter right now, and Michael Smith is talking like the Broncos are still planning on moving cutler. Now I see what people are saying about ESPN. I'm really starting to not like it for anything except highlights.

edit: WOW, I really don't like Michael Smith now. He said that the Broncos were the losers of the week because of the Jay Cutler saga. Yes...that should definately overshadow the signing of key players and improving the team. And yes, the chiefs trading for a one year, overpaid starter makes them the HUGE winners of the week.

Bravo ESPN, Bravo

D-Rod
03-02-2009, 11:43 AM
This whole thing is just incredibly stupid.

It's so difficult to find a franchise QB, you don't just get rid of him, whatever the price.

I'd rather have Cutler than three mid-first round picks, because a Pro-Bowl QB is just priceless.

phlysac
03-02-2009, 11:48 AM
It's now being reported that Jay Cutler demanded to be traded after Jeremy Bates was hired at USC.

Notredameleo
03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Get Him Lions!!!

FuzzyGopher
03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
It's now being reported that Jay Cutler demanded to be traded after Jeremy Bates was hired at USC.

Where is this being reported?

Diehard
03-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Where is this being reported?

Peter King from SI, iirc.

phlysac
03-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Peter King from SI, iirc.

Correct, thank you.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/01/freeagency/index.html

21ST
03-02-2009, 12:15 PM
If he is going to be on the block the skins have to get in on this

the decider13
03-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Cutler is so emotional for being in a tough business. It is good to have a nice relationship with coaches, but being a little girl anytime a coach is let go is not good.

When you have the division lead all year and still don't make the playoffs, you can expect some changes. Pro bowl or not, with all the mistakes Cutler made, he cost the Broncos a lot of games. It is partly Cutler's fault that there were so many coaching changes that hurt his "feelings".

I would just like to see Cutler man up, work hard for his team mates, and do the best he can possibly do. But I guess that would be too mature for a guy who has called out coaches and the orginization multiple times.

bored of education
03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
what if, what if, what if Mcdaniels did this on purpose to light a fire in Cutlers ass? lol :D

Brodeur
03-02-2009, 12:24 PM
with all the mistakes Cutler made, he cost the Broncos a lot of games.

No he didn't. The defense cost them those games, not Cutler.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2009, 12:29 PM
I would trade everyone except for Adrian Peterson and Jared Allen for Cutler.

Mr.Regular
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
This is so strange.... No matter how big of a drama queen Cutler is, he is becoming a legitimate franchise QB. Those are hard to find. It's probably the hardest position to fill in all of sports.

He isn't old, he wasn't the reason Denver lost most of those games last year, he isn't particularly injury prone, and I'm pretty sure he has some chemistry with that offense (which was pretty sick at times last year).

Maybe the new regime in Denver is a little in over their heads, because if I walked into a coaching or management job in the NFL and the most important piece of the puzzle was already there I'd do just about everything to keep it there.

the decider13
03-02-2009, 12:37 PM
No he didn't. The defense cost them those games, not Cutler.

Cutler trying to squeeze the ball in to places that he can't contributes to losing games. If he helped them win any games, his mistakes hurt the team a great deal in the losses.

There is no denying the crapiness of the defense though, most games were lost by the defense.

Diehard
03-02-2009, 12:46 PM
McDaniels comes from the Patriots' system - IMO, his mindset and Cutler's personality are not going to mesh well. They need to work hard to bridge the gap, but they seem to be doing the exact opposite... allowing a non-event to become a real problem.

djp
03-02-2009, 01:16 PM
#22 for Cutler... get on it Brad

HawkeyeFan
03-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Jay Cutler and the there first for 2nd pick?

Dr. Gonzo
03-02-2009, 01:21 PM
#22 for Cutler... get on it Brad

#22 + future first + Tjack for Cutler!

I don't care what it takes to get the guy or the fact that he is a big whiney *****, I hate watching the ****** QB play of the Vikings.

Babylon
03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Jay Cutler and the there first for 2nd pick?

Would have to include Bulger i would think, Denver is going to have to come up with a QB unless they plan on drafting Sanchez.

HawkeyeFan
03-02-2009, 01:23 PM
The hit against the Rams would be big, but Cutler would bring youth and be able to throw the ball deep to Avery and Co., and have Jackson to give the ball to.

The_Dude
03-02-2009, 01:30 PM
REPORT: VIKINGS INTERESTED IN CUTLER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2009, 1:46 p.m.
With Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler officially declaring that coach Josh McDaniels is no longer his “BFF,” the question becomes whether the Broncos will resume efforts to trade the disgruntled three-year pass-thrower.

Buried in an item from Mike Klis of the Denver Post is a disclosure that the Lions and the Vikings are interested in Cutler. (Presumably, the Buccaneers are still willing to talk turkey, too.)

The Lions already had been disclosed as a potentially interested team, but the Vikings are the eyebrow-raiser.

Though the Vikings already have traded for, and extended the contract of, quarterback Sage Rosenfels, a Cutler-Sage depth chart would look a lot better to Minnesota fans that the forgettable Tarvaris-Frerotte pairing of 2008 — not to mention the nightmarish Jackson-Holcomb-Bollinger revolving door from the prior season.

The question is whether the Vikes would pull the trigger, and what it would take to get Cutler from Denver. After sending a first-round pick and two third-round picks to Kansas City for defensive end Jared Allen last year, trading away another first-round pick would undermine the team’s ability to continue its effort to develop a nucleus of solid young players.

Then again, a quarterback can play for a long time, and franchise quarterbacks like Cutler rarely are available.

Meanwhile, Rosenfels’ three-year, $9 million deal doesn’t scream out “starter money,” which would give the Vikings the ability to pay Cutler.

And since he’s under contract for at least two more years (we’re assuming that 2011 is voidable), the Vikes would have time to get a long-term deal done, and in the interim would absorb manageable base salaries of $1.03 million and $1.42 million. (That said, there could be bonuses and escalators that drive up those numbers considerably.)

The question is whether the Vikings think they need both a franchise quarterback and a franchise running back. Based on the acquisition of Rosenfels, the answer apparently is, “No.” But with the career of coach Brad Childress hinging on what the team does in 2009, it makes sense to at least explore what it would take to pry Cutler away from the Broncos, especially at a time when Cutler is clamoring to get out.

While Rosenfels could take the Vikings to places they haven’t been in a long, long time, the chances of Cutler getting it done are considerably greater.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notredameleo
03-02-2009, 01:35 PM
NO,,,HE BELONGS TO THE LION....but in all seriousness, if they indeed are trying to trade him, the lions have much more ammo to strike a deal..

HawkeyeFan
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
NO,,,HE BELONGS TO THE LION....but in all seriousness, if they indeed are trying to trade him, the lions have much more ammo to strike a deal..
http://blog.pharmalive.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/o_rly.jpg

Notredameleo
03-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Yes, really?

Flyboy
03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
LOL.

The new Broncos regime fail so much.

HawkeyeFan
03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Yes, really?
How so?

Why do the Lions have so much fire power?

Dr. Gonzo
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
How so?

Why do the Lions have so much fire power?

Two first rounders and high draft picks. That's about it though. The have the ability to give up more if the Broncos just want picks.

HawkeyeFan
03-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Two first rounders and high draft picks. That's about it though. The have teh ability to give up more if the Broncos just want picks.
And then overpay! YAY!

art vandelay
03-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Cutler to TJ, Berrian and Sidney Rice with AD out of the backfield? Scary potential...

d34ng3l021
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Do you guys really think a Cutler trade will go through?

If I were the Lions, I would offer #1 overall straight up.

Flyboy
03-02-2009, 01:54 PM

At the end of the day? No. But it's fun to speculate.

Brothgar
03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
http://blog.pharmalive.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/o_rly.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/DamnThoseWiffyDogs/Rs9ZUEA8r1I/AAAAAAAAAOc/BF2BE3SL4Iw/QuiteRly.jpg

03-02-2009, 01:59 PM

Yes. To Carolina for Peppers and Delhomme.

Okay, it would never happen, but I can dream :(

Flyboy
03-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Yes. To Carolina for Peppers and Delhomme.

Okay, it would never happen, but I can dream :(

If Cutler got traded to the NFC South, I'm stabbing people in the jaw.

Babylon
03-02-2009, 02:01 PM

If I were the Lions, I would offer #1 overall straight up.

Cutler vs Stafford is an interesting subject because they're so similar. My guess is a new regime in Detroit will take it slow and go with the 5 year plan (it's called job security) as opposed to more of a why arent you winning now environment with Cutler.

I wouldnt be shocked or critical of Detroit for trading the #1 for Cutler but i think Denver in any deal is going to want a signal caller(even a marginal one) in return unless they plan on taking a Mark Sanchez at 12.

d34ng3l021
03-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Cutler in the NFC South would be ridiculous. Could you imagine being a fan of the team that doesn't have a QB in the likes of Drew Brees, Jay Cutler, and Matt Ryan? That would suck.

And yeah, you have a point Babylon. I think the team could win now if they could just get Cutler a LT so he has time to target Calvin Johnson a billion times.

D-Rod
03-02-2009, 02:08 PM
If Cutler got traded to the NFC South, I'm stabbing people in the jaw.

Josh McDaniels first. Brees, Ryan, and Cutler in the same division would be nasty.

Shahin
03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Niner's should send their first rounder for him, see if McDaniels bites.

Flyboy
03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Cutler in the NFC South would be ridiculous. Could you imagine being a fan of the team that doesn't have a QB in the likes of Drew Brees, Jay Cutler, and Matt Ryan? That would suck.

Those would be some epic games to watch to say the least.

bored of education
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Those would be some epic games to watch to say the least.

Nothing will beat Rivers v. Cutler arguing over who's argile socks pick up more chicks while at the Newport beach Yatch club during the winters

Babylon
03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Niner's should send their first rounder for him, see if McDaniels bites.

My guess is there was probably a love affair with Cassel by Denver and that doesnt translate into moving Jay for someone else. A Peppers/Del homme offer though might be too good to pass up.

Shahin
03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
My guess is there was probably a love affair with Cassel by Denver and that doesnt translate into moving Jay for someone else. A Peppers/Del homme offer though might be too good to pass up.

Agreed; just wishful thinking on my part. I was hoping the Niners would have made a move for Cassel.

D-Rod
03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Nothing will beat Rivers v. Cutler arguing over who's argile socks pick up more chicks while at the Newport beach Yatch club during the winters

Rivers' text to Cutler this evening: there's a clipboard with your name on it in San Diego...

Don Vito
03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3946294&sportCat=nfl

Didn't see this posted, Cutler gets blasted pretty hard by Wojciechowski.

Brodeur
03-02-2009, 04:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3946294&sportCat=nfl

The comparison to the Derrick Brooks and Brett Favre situations was ******* stupid, but that's what you get with Gene's old ass.

the decider13
03-02-2009, 04:12 PM
god. i feel bad for packers fans. this must be how you felt the last couple of seasons with the endless, ESPN generated drama.

also, i'm highly entertained that people think the lions 20th pick, for instance, has even remotely equivalent value to cutler.

but *shrug*. if the broncos trade cutler, i will never watch another broncos game, spend another dollar, or in any way whatsoever support the team for the rest of my life.

I'm with you on the trade value. There is no way in hell the 20th pick is anywhere near Cutler's value. More like a teams 1st, 2nd, next years first, and whoever their best QB is. And even then I would not want to trade.

I'll be upset for a while if Cutler gets traded, but idk if I could go support another team. I would prolly start following his new team. There will always be a part of my heart for the Broncos because I started watching every one of their games since I was 7.

jj45
03-02-2009, 04:20 PM
I like the lion's giving up the first and that it. Or the pepper/delhome seems perfect too. But I think they have to make a trade soon because u don't want the leader of ur team pissed off and ruining ur locker room. I would rather him go to carolina I would hate to what would happen against the bears

bored of education
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
what if ,what if..they did this to light a fire under Cutlers ass?

wrong medium used though :(

no more shrugging in this thread for your njx

Strawdog
03-02-2009, 04:48 PM
McNabb, 1 first and 1 second for Cutler.

I don't see any other way the Broncos can ship Cutler, get a comparable quarterback, and get added value for their rising star. Depending on the behind the scenes stuff with McNabb, this may be a perfect opportunity to avoid a similar showdown with their star quarterback.

the decider13
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
McNabb, 1 first and 1 second would be the only one of everyones trades that made any sorta sense value wise.

And I still want to hold on to cutler. But good thinking.

BlindSite
03-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't think the Broncos ever wanted to trade him, like they're saying I think they just listened and that's got him all in a tizzy.

the decider13
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
We should all spam peter king to write about it...then everyone will calm down.

I think the problem is that Jay is reading all these articles and they are telling him how to feel about his problems. As soon as the media cleans up, he will suddenly feel better.

CC.SD
03-02-2009, 05:08 PM

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1070/cutlercrybaby.jpg

Haha, how funny is this caption? I didn't name this image btw, saw it on another board.

Brodeur
03-02-2009, 05:08 PM
but because some moron like peter king hasn't suggested it, no one will believe it or talk about it.

But everyone hates Peter King and no one will listen to him.

BlindSite
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, good isn't it. When All those goes write something about Peyton Manning being a sure fire HOFer or some RB being a good pick up they get argued with, insulted and destroyed, but when they write about an unsubstantiated storm in a teacup its taken as gospel.

OzTitan
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, Cutler sure as hell seems to think the team wanted to trade him.

bored of education
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah, good isn't it. When All those goes write something about Peyton Manning being a sure fire HOFer or some RB being a good pick up they get argued with, insulted and destroyed, but when they write about an unsubstantiated storm in a teacup its taken as gospel.

DEF cuz Peyton is so borderline right now. UGHH makes me want ot make a thread and a letter to my editor!

CC.SD
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM

They still show Rivers yakking at Cutler before all his highlights. This is what ESPN is.

The Legend
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Do you guys think Jay Cutler is worth the number one overall pick from the Lions?
How much would it actually cost to get him out of Denver?

Finz99
03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
no. the lions would be much better served drafting a complete unknown than getting a guy who's basically on the barest edge of being elite already. cutler's probably only worth a 3rd.

A 3rd? You'd be lucky to get a bag of peanuts for Cutler. No one wants a pro-bowl Quarterback now-a-days...where's the risk in that?

Dr. Gonzo
03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
no. the lions would be much better served drafting a complete unknown than getting a guy who's basically on the barest edge of being elite already. cutler's probably only worth a 3rd.

Vikings 3rd and 5th for Cutler?

I would seriously give up the first overall pick for Cutler in a heatbeat. If the Brocos do somehow end up trading Cutler I would not like the value of the first overall pick. Just because it is the best overall pick I doubt the Broncos would get a whole lot more. If it were me trading Cutler I would ask for at least two first rounders and more. I don't think I would ever put myself in the position where I were trading a great young QB like Cutler. Guys like him are just to valuable and if he gets moved I would be disgusted with the Broncos organization.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I know this is being facetious, but getting Cutler would be like getting Jared Allen times 23.

Ness
03-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Do you guys think Jay Cutler is worth the number one overall pick from the Lions?
How much would it actually cost to get him out of Denver?

The Lions would win that battle easily. All they have to do is give up a 1st round selection for probably the league's best young quarterback at age 25? Denver would be dumb to go through with something like that. Even if they did they should demand something like the Lions' first three selections in the draft and some draft picks from the following year.

San Diego Chicken
03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
There is no way in hell Detroit gives away the #1 overall pick for Cutler. Only in fairy-tale land is that even possible.

GB12
03-02-2009, 10:22 PM
There is no way in hell Detroit gives away the #1 overall pick for Cutler. Only in fairy-tale land is that even possible.
If he were to actually become available, there should be no hesitation to give up #1 to get Cutler.

Shane P. Hallam
03-02-2009, 10:24 PM
If he were to actually become available, there should be no hesitation to give up #1 to get Cutler.

I agree. Cutler is more of a sure thing. I think there is more no way in hell Denver takes the #1 overall pick due to the money involved.

San Diego Chicken
03-02-2009, 10:27 PM

You're dreaming. When was the last time a trade like that ever went down in the NFL? If Detroit didn't want to give up #20 for Cassel, they definitely won't give up #1 for Cutler. Yeah, you could try to argue that Cutler is better than Cassel, but the statistics don't agree at all.

San Diego Chicken
03-02-2009, 10:39 PM
which, exactly? int %, completion percentage (barely)? that's about it.

although i'm sure you'll throw out something like win percentage, which will make for a fantastic argument for about 0.3 seconds.

The stats stack up pretty evenly to me, and that's before you consider that Cassel was sacked 47 times, while Cutler was only sacked 11 times. I think Cutler is a better player, but not by alot.

JonasBlane
03-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Cutler is one of the most valuable players in the league based on him being a pro bowl QB at the age of 25. If I was the Lions I would be willing to give up the #1 overall, and if that wasn't enough, I would also throw in a future #2.

If I was the Broncos, I can't really think of a realistic scenario where I would trade Cutler. If you want to go into full on rebuilding mode, you already have the most important piece in a pro bowl QB. They have a pro bowl QB, LT and WR... What possible reason could they have to trade Cutler... Seems insane.

MetSox17
03-02-2009, 10:40 PM
You're dreaming. When was the last time a trade like that ever went down in the NFL? If Detroit didn't want to give up #20 for Cassel, they definitely won't give up #1 for Cutler. Yeah, you could try to argue that Cutler is better than Cassel, but the statistics don't agree at all.

Yeah, i don't know what the hell you're thinking. Jay Cutler is a proven commodity in this league, is young, has yet to hit the prime of his career, and doesn't carry a ridiculous contract (just yet). What exactly does Detroit have to win by taking a risk on a rookie quarterback, and automatically paying him in the top three contracts for quarterbacks in the NFL?

San Diego Chicken
03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah, i don't know what the hell you're thinking. Jay Cutler is a proven commodity in this league, is young, has yet to hit the prime of his career, and doesn't carry a ridiculous contract (just yet). What exactly does Detroit have to win by taking a risk on a rookie quarterback, and automatically paying him in the top three contracts for quarterbacks in the NFL?

What am I thinking? I'm thinking about the last couple of decades of NFL history, and I'm thinking no GM wants to be known as the guy who pulled the trigger on the Hershel Walker trade part two.

sweetness34
03-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Well would you be happy if you thought your job was safe then come to find out your team is shopping you around behind your back?

Cutler has every reason to be mad right now. He's going to be one of the best QB's in the game in a very short time...we'll take ya in Chicago. Kyle Orton, 1st Round Pick, and Nathan Vasher...kthxbye!

Me Likey Rookies
03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Cutler is worth more than the #1 pick. Stafford's best case scenario is to become Cutler and Curry as a LB just isnt as important to a team as a franchise QB.

There are now rumors of Cutler for Brady Quinn and Shaun Rodgers. Ughh. If I am Pat Bowlen, I am stepping in and defending my QB. The Denver fans will have an epic meltdown if Cutler is traded. Cutler is much more valuable to Bowlen than Josh McDaniels is. Bowlen should admit his mistake and fire McDaniels.