PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Williams

02-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Does anyone else think he is a bum...
His production at Penn State was mediocre at best, while two other receivers Outshined him his whole time there..
His supposed greatest asset is not really an asset, as he is really not that fast, and he's just a smooth runner, not a particularly explosive guy with a second gear.
His size is okay, and he's not a superb route runner...
rep me if you agree
discuss

Malaka
02-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Sniper loves you...

I agree though.

Go_Eagles77
02-28-2009, 06:31 PM
rep me if you agree

LOL, you know saying this will just make people give you negative rep, right?

CashmoneyDrew
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Does anyone else think he is a bum...
His production at Penn State was mediocre at best, while two other receivers Outshined him his whole time there..
His supposed greatest asset is not really an asset, as he is really not that fast, and he's just a smooth runner, not a particularly explosive guy with a second gear.
His size is okay, and he's not a superb route runner...
rep me if you agree
discuss

Wow. I'm disappointed in myself for putting you back up to 0. I would've never done it if I had known you'd be a rep begger.

Cicero
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
He's a terrible route runner. He shouldn't be a day 1 pick.

02-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow. I'm disappointed in myself for putting you back up to 0. I would've never done it if I had known you'd be a rep begger.

Im not a rep begger, just slipped it in there to see who would notice

But I had always thought he was a bum, and then I read Sniper's work of genius a minute ago in the Scouting report section, and It got me to wondering, what the hell do people see in this guy

Babylon
02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
I've never been that much of a Penn State player fan but how in hell did he run a 4.58 at the combine? that is almost impossible to fathom.

BaLLiN
02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
i really thought of him as a poor mans eddie royal, now its like a moneyless mans eddie royal

Matthew Jones
02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
I've never been that much of a Penn State player fan but how in hell did he run a 4.58 at the combine? that is almost impossible to fathom.

Derrick Williams had the flu at the Combine and was advised not to run by his agent, but decided that he wanted to compete with the other wide receivers. It's pretty well documented. I'm betting he runs A LOT better at his Pro Day once he's feeling better. Also, I don't think that time really hurts him much because teams respect that he's going to go out there even when he's not 100% and give it his best shot. He was impressive in the Senior Bowl as well and that will help him. I see him as a late second round value and he could go there with a good Pro Day but right now I think he's a third round pick in the draft.

BaLLiN
02-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Derrick Williams had the flu at the Combine and was advised not to run by his agent, but decided that he wanted to compete with the other wide receivers. It's pretty well documented. I'm betting he runs A LOT better at his Pro Day once he's feeling better. Also, I don't think that time really hurts him much because teams respect that he's going to go out there even when he's not 100% and give it his best shot. He was impressive in the Senior Bowl as well and that will help him. I see him as a late second round value and he could go there with a good Pro Day but right now I think he's a third round pick in the draft.

whoah did not know this, wow. do you think he could break 4.4s?

02-28-2009, 06:46 PM

YEa its well documented, just as was his sorriness and lack of explosiveness during college.

BaLLiN
02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
YEa its well documented, just as was his sorriness and lack of explosiveness during college.

im sorry, but he was pretty explosive, watch gametape, the bowl game against tenessee 2 years ago, dont tell me he wasnt explosive. toughness is a good thing to have as a slot reciever as well.

Matthew Jones
02-28-2009, 06:51 PM

I expect him to run a 4.45 or lower at his Pro Day assuming he's 100% and I think most other people would tend to agree with me. 4.50 would be acceptable, a repeat of the Combine would hurt him.

02-28-2009, 06:53 PM
im sorry, but he was pretty explosive, watch gametape, the bowl game against tenessee 2 years ago, dont tell me he wasnt explosive. toughness is a good thing to have as a slot reciever as well.

I have watched Derrick Williams' games, and he is not "explosive"..He probably has 4.45-4.47 speed when he is healthy, but he is not a guy who blows by and has great acceleration (the two components of the term explosive). Rather he's a guy who is a smooth runner and can get in and out of his cuts while making defenders miss (in open space on returns, not so much on catches where he is covered)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qptg19L0dkM

jnew76
02-28-2009, 06:57 PM
He is an athlete more than a true receiver. Had the flu at the combine, so will give him a pass. I expect around a 4.55 at the pro day. He is more smooth and shifty than explosive. I have never seen him as a first day prospect. I think he is at best a 3rd rounder if a team really likes him, and I would not consider him until the 4th. His versatility and ball skills make him intrigueing.

As a caveat, I always thought he should have played safety at PSU... I think he would have been in the 1rst round mix as a safety and an NFL team with patience could still put him in position to succeed on the defensive side of the ball.

ljk2171
02-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Will he ever be a #1 receiver? No. But what I do see is a playmaker and anyone who makes plays will find a spot on a roster and contribute. He turned Penn State football around as it is once again a top program. He plays a lot faster than he timed at the combine and I expect him to run in the high 4.4's at his pro day. To say he isn't explosive is ridiculous though considering how many different ways he scored touchdowns, deep post patterns, slants, wheel, screens, out of the backfield, returns, obviously he has some burst.

I think he is a late 2nd/early 3rd round prospect simply because his ball skills are as good as any other receiver in the draft. And when the ball is in his hands only Percy Harvin and Jeremy Maclin are more dangerous.

Saints-Tigers
02-28-2009, 08:52 PM
The 3rd best receiver on the team turned the program around?

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
02-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Derrick was a top 5 recruit in the country out of HS, the # 1 athlete available according to most scouting services.

He was a solid 4.3 athlete as a prep, "officially" timed at many HS combines so it's a mystery to me what happened to his recorded speed.

When Williams signed with PSU, a number of top recruits followed his lead, so yes, he did directly contribute to the resurgence of the program.

What I discovered about Derrick, which isn't a bad thing, is that Penn State had several talented prospects at WR on their roster. He's a game-breaking player, just not the best wideout on his college team.

Sniper
02-28-2009, 10:56 PM
635, that's so weird how your rep randomly jumped by more than double its previous score when I read this thread. Creepy.

I obviously endorse this thread.

02-28-2009, 10:58 PM
635, that's so weird how your rep randomly jumped by more than double its previous score when I read this thread. Creepy.

it's amazing

Twinkle Toes
03-01-2009, 06:51 PM
He is an athlete more than a true receiver. Had the flu at the combine, so will give him a pass. I expect around a 4.55 at the pro day. He is more smooth and shifty than explosive. I have never seen him as a first day prospect. I think he is at best a 3rd rounder if a team really likes him, and I would not consider him until the 4th. His versatility and ball skills make him intrigueing.

As a caveat, I always thought he should have played safety at PSU... I think he would have been in the 1rst round mix as a safety and an NFL team with patience could still put him in position to succeed on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree with the bolded statements above. I see him as a collossal bust as an NFL WR, just as he underperformed at the position in college. BUT I strongly agree that it would be wise to try him as a safety in the pros, along with being a 2-way special teamer to give him some immediate value. IMO his excellent athletic skills would probably be used to better advantage on the defensive side where reaction is at least as important as technique.

underscore
03-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Safety? Not a chance.

Michael Robinson should have been a safety...not Derrick Williams.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Actually, converting him to safety may not be a bad idea.

Coming out of HS many thought Derrick Williams was a much more talented cornerback prospect than he was a WR.

I was shocked he decided to play offense exclusively at PSU. How far and long he plays in the NFL will all be up to him and how hard he's willing to work.

underscore
03-01-2009, 07:49 PM
He didn't "decide" to play offense at PSU. He was recruited as a WR and PSU has virtually no one at WR returning that year. Most teams recruited him as a WR as well.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-02-2009, 08:07 AM
SO someone forced him to play WR?

OF course he made the decision to be a WR in college. Many programs thought he was equally talented on the defensive side of the ball but that's not where he wanted to play.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-02-2009, 08:23 AM
He could be a decent slot guy at best. solid return man, but nothing too flash.

underscore
03-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Florida wanted him as a WR. Oklahoma wanted him as a WR. Tennessee was more open to him at CB, but wanted him as a WR more.

Those were his finalists.

roscoesdad27
03-02-2009, 02:25 PM
D. Williams will run in the 4.4's at his proday imho. I like his versatility alot for the right team. I have him going in the top of round 3 to the seahawks. The seahawks need help at w.r., a return guy, some help at r.b. and somebody to potentially run the ever evolving wildcat.

Williams will never be a #1 w.r. but he could be a very good #2 in the right scheme and a dynamic slot guy. He can line up at r.b. 10 times or so a game, runs the wildcat extremely well and is an elite return guy...alot like percy harvin....weapon plain and simple....reminds me of leon washington a bit.

Race for the Heisman
03-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Homeless man's Devin Hester. Less explosive primarily, but yeah. As for him playing safety, isn't he like 185 pounds? I'm too lazy to check the combine numbers but I just don't see that panning out.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Homeless man's Devin Hester.

LOL.
I still like him and think he will be a productive pro.

Texas Homer
03-03-2009, 01:02 AM
4th round guy.

TimD
03-03-2009, 01:23 AM

i hope he has a successful career to prove everyone wrong.

did he personally do something to you sniper? or better yet is he best friends with ovechkin??? mayland ties... i think ive got it.

anyways, i think he can have a successful nfl career as a slot guy, return man, and all around athletic weapon. while he may not have the same speed, I think he can be like Leon Washington, just in WR form. guys as athletic and willing to work as DW find a way to succeed. talent a work ethic is everything an nfl team should want

Sniper
03-03-2009, 06:43 AM
i hope he has a successful career to prove everyone wrong.

did he personally do something to you sniper? or better yet is he best friends with ovechkin??? mayland ties... i think ive got it.

anyways, i think he can have a successful nfl career as a slot guy, return man, and all around athletic weapon. while he may not have the same speed, I think he can be like Leon Washington, just in WR form. guys as athletic and willing to work as DW find a way to succeed. talent a work ethic is everything an nfl team should want

A) I like Ovechkin. I just think he does some stupid **** and isn't good enough all-around.
B) Williams sucks, and it annoys me when people say he's good. If he hadn't been ranked so highly as a HS prospect, no one would give a **** about him.

Cicero
03-03-2009, 06:52 AM
A) I like Ovechkin. I just think he does some stupid **** and isn't good enough all-around.
B) Williams sucks, and it annoys me when people say he's good. If he hadn't been ranked so highly as a HS prospect, no one would give a **** about him.
He is worth a 4th round pick at the most. I would say 5th.

roscoesdad27
03-03-2009, 12:14 PM
He is worth a 4th round pick at the most. I would say 5th.

will you change your mind if he runs in the 4.4's at his proday?...cause I think he will run atleast a 4.45, he had the flu during the combine.

Crickett
03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
will you change your mind if he runs in the 4.4's at his proday?...cause I think he will run atleast a 4.45, he had the flu during the combine.

Depends if it is hand timed or electronically timed.

Sniper
03-03-2009, 12:22 PM

No. His on-field lack of production matters more than a 4.4 40.

Crickett
03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
No. His on-field lack of production matters more than a 4.4 40.

This is true, but at least with a 4.4 40, he would have something going to him as a pro prospect. Because right now.....

Speed? No.
Great hands? No.
College Production? No.
Size? No.

Why should he even be considered in the first three rounds by anyone?