PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Warner to visit the 49ers on Monday

49ersfan_87
02-28-2009, 08:35 PM
It has been confirmed through multiple reliable sources today that the 49ers continue to pursue a contract with Cardinals free-agent quarterback Kurt Warner.
[/URL]
[URL]http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/02/getting-serious-warner-still-on-49ers-radar.html (http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/)

Wow. That would be a complete 180 from everything thats been going on. Im not sure if Warner would fit our offense though. We want to become a run heavy team. Our GM has said he wants a priority on finding a 2nd back to share the load with Gore. I know Warner is better than Shaun Hill and Alex Smith but i wonder how much he would fit our system and how effective he would be compared to his situation in Arizona.

MasterShake
02-28-2009, 08:58 PM
If we signed Warner....Isaac Bruce would go from 50-50 retirement to full go for next season.

holt_bruce81
02-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Warner to ANOTHER NFC West team?

And MasterShake, I heard Isaac Bruce wanted to play another 4-5 years. Can't blame him, he's still got the skills. I mean look what he did last year with no Quarterback.

MetSox17
02-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Of course he's gonna visit other teams, he would have no leverage against the Cardinals low-balling him if he didn't. In the end, he signs with Arizona.

Menardo75
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Warner to ANOTHER NFC West team?

And MasterShake, I heard Isaac Bruce wanted to play another 4-5 years. Can't blame him, he's still got the skills. I mean look what he did last year with no Quarterback.

He did have a QB the second half of the year :). I really doubt this is anything more than bait. Warner is trying to get the Cardinals to raise their price. The Niners are trying to speed up contract talks with Alex Smith.

Ness
02-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Of course he's gonna visit other teams, he would have no leverage against the Cardinals low-balling him if he didn't. In the end, he signs with Arizona.
Right, I'm assuming he does sign with Arizona in the end.

LonghornsLegend
02-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Kurt wants to play for all the NFC West teams before he retires.

RedAttack
03-01-2009, 12:25 AM

Low-balling? The Cardinals have offered him over 20mil for 2 years - with 10mil guranteed. It's more than fair considering his age.

The 9ers would be a really bad fit. A ball control offense with those recievers and line? Have fun with that Kurt. No to mention playing outside for a minimum of 8 games a year.

MetSox17
03-01-2009, 03:06 AM
Low-balling? The Cardinals have offered him over 20mil for 2 years - with 10mil guranteed. It's more than fair considering his age.

The 9ers would be a really bad fit. A ball control offense with those recievers and line? Have fun with that Kurt. No to mention playing outside for a minimum of 8 games a year.

He deserves to be paid in the 12-16 million dollar range. He has come out and said already that he wants some stability since this is most likely his last contract, and he played for less than market value the past few seasons.

OzTitan
03-01-2009, 04:17 AM
How is it fair for his age? Age should only come into play when considering how many years a deal has (2 seems fair). $ value should be down to skill level alone IMO.

At least for a QB like Warner. It's not like he relies on anything that will go away with age like a scrambler or anything, and he hasn't shown any signs of health issues.

Rjspartan
03-01-2009, 09:10 AM
i think warner will stay in arizona i doubt he goes somewhere else

Brent
03-01-2009, 11:09 AM
As someone said above, this is to raise the price in AZ. The Niners would only sign Warner if he was willing to take a cheap contract; one much cheaper than what AZ is offering.

phlysac
03-01-2009, 01:37 PM
If it's as obvious a ploy as everyone seems to think it is, how can it be effective?

MetSox17
03-01-2009, 01:41 PM
If it's as obvious a ploy as everyone seems to think it is, how can it be effective?

Because Warner has come out and said that he will not be reluctant to sign with another team if the money and situation is right.

Bucs_Rule
03-01-2009, 01:59 PM

Their are some people that might sign with another team that isn't as good for them because they feel they are being disrespected and taken advantage of by their current team.

Chances are it is a ploy, but in the back of Arizona's mind it might create a little bit of doubt.

BlindSite
03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Because Warner has come out and said that he will not be reluctant to sign with another team if the money and situation is right.

Only have 2-3 years left in his career, I doubt he'd see playing for the 49ers as a good move to possibly win another ring.

LonghornsLegend
03-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Only have 2-3 years left in his career, I doubt he'd see playing for the 49ers as a good move to possibly win another ring.

Too bad money talks and always does...It's hard to imagine him leaving Fitz, and Arizona until someone else tells him they will pay him 4 million more per year and alot more up front, this is his last contract so if someone wants to overpay or outbid AZ he'll probably listen.

I hope he goes to SF, he may very well fail but Josh Morgan will end up with 1100 yards with him at QB, I love him and a QB like Warner would show off his skills.

Chief49er
03-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Too bad money talks and always does...It's hard to imagine him leaving Fitz, and Arizona until someone else tells him they will pay him 4 million more per year and alot more up front, this is his last contract so if someone wants to overpay or outbid AZ he'll probably listen.

I hope he goes to SF, he may very well fail but Josh Morgan will end up with 1100 yards with him at QB, I love him and a QB like Warner would show off his skills.

I think the 49ers have just as good a chance, if not better than Arizona at getting to a superbowl in the next 2 years.

Menardo75
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I like this guy.

Chief49er
03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
If we can get him to sign a contract tomorrow we win the west. Even if he goes down first game, we still win the west.

****, even if he goes back to the Cards, we still win the west!

Menardo75
03-02-2009, 02:35 AM
I really like this guy.

phlysac
03-02-2009, 01:11 PM
After reading that Kurt Warner has never recieved more than $5Million a season and that the offer he has gotten from the Cardinals is very similar to what the Seahwaks pay Matt Hasslebeck, I can definitely understand why he wants one last big payday before he retires.

LonghornsLegend
03-02-2009, 01:26 PM
If the Niners make a great offer I think they could steal him away, if he's actually taking the visit some teams will do whatever they can to make sure it gets done...I think if they can get Warner picking Sanchez would be a great pick, they would still have quite a few holes but if you take the Aaron Rodgers route with him you see the benefits of it, and if Warner's play starts to decline in a year you can have Sanchez to push him in year 2.

MasterShake
03-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Warner is in the SF facility.

Apparantly they pulled out all the stops on this one and picked him up in the private jet.

Sveen
03-02-2009, 03:18 PM
From Rotoworld:
ESPN's Michael Smith reports that the Cardinals have no intentions of budging off their current two-year, $20 million offer to free agent Kurt Warner.

Chief49er
03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
1:49 p.m. SF Gate's John Crumpacker reports that Warner is currently at Stanford Hospital getting his physical. Warner has had pinky (2000), hand (2002), concussion (2003), hand (2004), groin, MCL (2005) and elbow (2007) injuries in the past, so the physical is not a routine event.--From Barrow's Blog

M.O.T.H.
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
The Cards have increased their offer to 2 years $23 million.

RedAttack
03-03-2009, 02:19 AM
How is it fair for his age? Age should only come into play when considering how many years a deal has (2 seems fair). $ value should be down to skill level alone IMO.

At least for a QB like Warner. It's not like he relies on anything that will go away with age like a scrambler or anything, and he hasn't shown any signs of health issues.

I can't say that I have seen many (if any) 38 year old QB's play at a high level. So realistically you have to consider at what point does age catch up with him?

I would also disagree that Kurt doesn't have health issues. This is the first time he has completed a 16 game season in a long time. He messed up his arm in 2007 and has long history of concussions and issues with his thumb.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kurt is a warrior. But those factors considered, I would say that 10 mil guranteed is really fair.

fenikz
03-03-2009, 02:48 AM
The Cards have increased their offer to 2 years $23 million.

that was the offer like 3 weeks ago, nothing has changed on our part

M.O.T.H.
03-03-2009, 04:22 AM
that was the offer like 3 weeks ago, nothing has changed on our part

The offer was increased...the offer that was just on the table was 2 years $20 million...They just added $3 million to that after his San Fran visit.

fenikz
03-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Is that 3 mil in the 1st year?

So like $13 Mil for 2009 with a Option Bonus of $10 Mil for 2010?

abaddon41_80
03-03-2009, 06:23 AM
I am all for Warner not going back to the Cardinals but I don't think he is a very good fit for the offense we want to run. Sure we have some weapons in Isaac Bruce, Isaac Bruce Lite (Jason Hill), Josh Morgan, and Frank Gore but Bruce/Hill/Morgan are hardly comparable to Fitz/Boldin/Breaston.

Still, if we do sign Warner you might as well pencil us in as NFC West champions in 2009.

BandwagonPunditry
03-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Still, if we do sign Warner you might as well pencil us in as NFC West champions in 2009.

Bearing in mind the strength of our division that's not quite the accolade it used to be...

I can see where Warner's coming from, the option means he's got no security at Arizona, all the power's with the Cards' management.

Splat
03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Kurt Warner: Cards Increase Offer (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-urtarnerardsncreasef&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

sweetness34
03-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Good call Mr. Smith! Gotta love those ESPN Analysts and their "sources." When Trent Dilfer is starting to do that kinda stuff, you have to seriously wonder what the **** they are thinking, then again this is the company that hired Smith, Irvin, and Salisbury....

phlysac
03-03-2009, 02:16 PM
This is all different from what Warner's agent is reporting. He said that the "new" deal the Cardinals offered (2 Years - $23 Million) is basically the same deal as before (1 Year - $10 Million w/ a 2nd year option at $10 Million) the only difference is that the extra $3 Million would be paid to Warner if he QB'ed the Cards to a second consecutive Super Bowl.

Warner has reportedly counter-offered the same deal (2 Years - $23 Million) but the $12 Million Guaranteed would be split up so he'd be guranteed $6 Million in 2010. He also said he would remove $1 Million off the contract per season if the Cardinals extended Anquan Boldin....

The ball is now back in Bidwill's court.

fenikz
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
We are like 45 Mil+ under the cap and still haven't cut Edge or Chike which opens up another 9 Mil, a few million should not be this hard to agree upon

phlysac
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
We are like 45 Mil+ under the cap and still haven't cut Edge or Chike which opens up another 9 Mil, a few million should not be this hard to agree upon

I'm pretty sure that is the point that Warner is trying to make, yet the Cards haven't been eager to budge.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I am all for Warner not going back to the Cardinals but I don't think he is a very good fit for the offense we want to run. Sure we have some weapons in Isaac Bruce, Isaac Bruce Lite (Jason Hill), Josh Morgan, and Frank Gore but Bruce/Hill/Morgan are hardly comparable to Fitz/Boldin/Breaston.

LOL. If you had Martz as the OC I would think your chances would go up. But I wouldn't pencil you guys in. He still has to learn a new system, with new reads and progressions, new terminology and develop chemistry with his new players.

Chief49er
03-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Even if he doesnt sign with the 49ers we won the battle.

Either way, the Tards lost something.

muhahahaha!

Borat
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM

Nah, I don't think you can pencil in anyone in the division, regardless of Warner signing or not.

Even if he doesnt sign with the 49ers we won the battle.

Either way, the Tards lost something.

muhahahaha!

They're so far under the cap, that small amount of money won't hurt them. But cheap-ass Bill Bidwell will definitely feel that extra few millions. Beer prices are going up in 'Zona!

Bucs_Rule
03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
LOL. If you had Martz as the OC I would think your chances would go up. But I wouldn't pencil you guys in. He still has to learn a new system, with new reads and progressions, new terminology and develop chemistry with his new players.

I think it would do the opposite. Martz long passing routes got Warner killed, Martz also sent him away in favor of Bulger.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
I think it would do the opposite. Martz long passing routes got Warner killed, Martz also sent him away in favor of Bulger.

No, because Mike Martz is the follower of the Air croyell or the original WCO offense not the Walshian WCO as we know it today. Warner mainly is a hall of famer because of that system, and Bulger is another guy from that system. Rivers is a QB in that system as well as well as Aikman. It's almost like the Walshian WCO offense with their sets of QBs, Montana, Young, Garcia, Bono, Hasselbeck, and so on.

That's why having Martz there would benefit him. Yeah he would get killed and that's more of a function of Martz's pass protections. But the system works and Warner's greatest show on turf is an example of what the system can do, just like Walsh's system with Montana.

Bucs_Rule
03-03-2009, 04:23 PM
No, because Mike Martz is the follower of the Air croyell or the original WCO offense not the Walshian WCO as we know it today. Warner mainly is a hall of famer because of that system, and Bulger is another guy from that system. Rivers is a QB in that system as well as well as Aikman. It's almost like the Walshian WCO offense with their sets of QBs, Montana, Young, Garcia, Bono, Hasselbeck, and so on.

That's why having Martz there would benefit him. Yeah he would get killed and that's more of a function of Martz's pass protections. But the system works and Warner's greatest show on turf is an example of what the system can do, just like Walsh's system with Montana.

I just don't think he likes Martz.

phlysac
03-03-2009, 04:29 PM
They're so far under the cap, that small amount of money won't hurt them. But cheap-ass Bill Bidwell will definitely feel that extra few millions. Beer prices are going up in 'Zona!

Mike Sando of ESPN had an interesting take on Arizona's cap space...

The latest internal NFL data shows Arizona with about $40 million in salary-cap space three weeks before free agency. That is the highest figure in the league.

But what does that mean?

In theory, the Cardinals could sign Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers, Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and their own free agents, including quarterback Kurt Warner, without using that much cap space.

We could deduce as much from considering the 2009 salary-cap charges associated with the highest-paid players at defensive end (Jared Allen, $11.45 million) and defensive tackle (Tommie Harris, $9.1 million) while assuming Warner's new deal might count about $10 million against the cap.

But the reality is much different.

The Cardinals have fewer than 40 players signed for 2009, meaning millions more will vanish when they fill out their roster. Some of that cap space will go toward signing draft choices.

Once the Cardinals account for other cap charges -- incentives from 2008, salary escalators for 2009 and future miscellaneous expenses relating to various reserve lists -- their functional cap space figures to stand between $20 million and $25 million heading into free agency.

Even that figure is a bit optimistic.

Re-signing their own free agents, notably Warner and linebacker Karlos Dansby, could require more than $15 million in cap space.

The Cardinals would still have enough left over to pursue a high-profile free agent, but an aggressive approach to the market could require trade-offs.

With that, we take a comprehensive look at where NFC West teams stand in relation to the salary cap:

Arizona Cardinals

Current cap room: $40 million

Projected functional cap room: $20 million to $25 million

Top players without contracts for 2009: Kurt Warner, Karlos Dansby, Antonio Smith, Bertrand Berry, J.J. Arrington, Terrelle Smith

Cap considerations: Having so few players under contract for 2009 has made the Cardinals' cap-space figure misleading. Other teams in the division won't be adding nearly as many contracts for the 2009 season. Arizona must also consider the financial implications associated with extending contracts for receiver Anquan Boldin or defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, should the team elect to address those situations. Rewarding Boldin with a Larry Fitzgerald-type contract might chew up an additional $8 million in cap space in 2009. Trading Boldin and releasing Edgerrin James would free up additional cap room.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-03-2009, 08:56 PM
I just don't think he likes Martz.

Maybe that may be the case, but either way Kurt Warner built his fame and success in Martz's Air Croyell system.

MasterShake
03-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Maybe that may be the case, but either way Kurt Warner built his fame and success in Martz's Air Croyell system.

Jimmy Raye (49er OC) runs the Air Coryell also...alot of OC's do.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-03-2009, 09:43 PM

I wouldn't say alot, I know some of the concepts are mixed with other systems, but like I said I would have expected success with Martz based on their years with the Rams. If Raye does run the Coryell then that's good for Warner. The thing is they had sooo many OCs that god knows what is going on in terms of the offense.

MasterShake
03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't say alot, I know some of the concepts are mixed with other systems, but like I said I would have expected success with Martz based on their years with the Rams. If Raye does run the Coryell then that's good for Warner. The thing is they had sooo many OCs that god knows what is going on in terms of the offense.

Yeah...but the last 4 OC's have all been Coryell, but yeah...too many OC's...

Next time I see Norv Turner I'm gunna kick him in the nuts.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah...but the last 4 OC's have all been Coryell, but yeah...too many OC's...

Next time I see Norv Turner I'm gunna kick him in the nuts.

I don;t get to see SF games in the east coast so don't really pay attention. All I know right now currently that I am aware of is Mike Martz and Norv Turner. They are direct from that Coryell tree. I have no clue how many others offensive coaches took that system and run it now. It's a pain trying to keep tabs of who runs the WCO, PRO, spread, Air Coryell, or a mix of all concepts.

phlysac
03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
As far as I have always thought, about the only thing that Mike Martz has from the "Air Coryell" era is the digit system. I could be wrong, but Martz's system is unique in nearly every way. That's why he doesn't have a young "Martz deciple" working his way up the coaching ranks, and that every team has to virtually start over once he leaves.

Menardo75
03-04-2009, 01:40 AM

No Raye has a vertical passing game offense.

vikes_28
03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Warner + another team = fail

NY+Giants=NYG
03-04-2009, 09:39 AM
As far as I have always thought, about the only thing that Mike Martz has from the "Air Coryell" era is the digit system. I could be wrong, but Martz's system is unique in nearly every way. That's why he doesn't have a young "Martz deciple" working his way up the coaching ranks, and that every team has to virtually start over once he leaves.

No, he and Norv Turner added that digit system, but both learned it from Ernie Zampese the former coach in the NFL. What makes Martz and Turner's system unique is the terminology. I have 2 of Martz's playbook and those things are huge, but the terminology is very easy. In fact the college I coached at used the terminology, but we used the Urban meyer spread which he used with Alex Smith at Utah.