PDA

View Full Version : Jason Smith Highlights

TACKLE
02-28-2009, 11:15 PM
I know many people have seen barely anything of the guy who could maybe be the #1 overall pick. Finally, here are some highlights. They're actually Robert Griffin highlights but you get to see a lot of Smith. He is primarily LT but on some overload sets he play on the right side. I know its not amazing but its better than nothing. Enjoy!

a4EXHy6WLLQ

Me Likey Rookies
03-01-2009, 04:23 PM
nice find TACKLE. I wasnt able to get any Baylor games this year.

thetedginnshow
03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Looks basically like what you'd expect out of a converted TE.

TPac
03-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I was impressed by Alphonso Smith's tackling ability

Brent
03-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Robert Griffin is so amazing... oh and Jason Smith is good, too.

EDIT: at 9:20 watch him get beat by Von Miller.

etk
03-01-2009, 06:38 PM
More impressive than Monroe or Oher for sure.

Babylon
03-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I like his fiesty temperment. Will be interesting to see if the Rams take Curry where Smith lands.

TACKLE
03-01-2009, 09:56 PM
He has a lot of really solid plays in pass pro and shows his athletic ability. For those of you who don't want to watch the full 10 minutes, here are some of the highlights of the highlights - mainly of him in the run game.

0:17 - Nice pull in space (OMG Robert Griffin back juke. epic!!!!)
2:52 - Drives man out of the play
3:27 - GREAT PLAY! Takes two guys out
5:01 - Great Drive, dominates man
5:40 - Gets on LB, really finishes block
5:59 - Dominates man, finishes block
6:41 - Owns DE
8:53 - Nice block on the pull

Thunder&Lightning
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
griffin is nasty

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-02-2009, 07:36 AM
damn, Baylor doesn't win alot of games lol.

anyways, Jason Smith looks to have a TON of upside and if he's coached up right, he could easily be an elite Tackle very soon. Pass blocking in superb and I was shocked that he is pretty decent in the run game as well.

bitonti
03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
More impressive than Monroe or Oher for sure.

yeh Jason Smith really shut down that no name defender.

bored of education
03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Highlights are highlights for a reason.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Highlights are highlights for a reason.

QFT man. mind if I quote you on that?

bored of education
03-02-2009, 02:24 PM

yes you can. it will go down in history with MLK's I Have a Dream Speech, and with quotes from Voltaire.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Yeah, but these aren't necessarily HIS highlights, so take that for what its worth...

etk
03-02-2009, 03:28 PM
yeh Jason Smith really shut down that no name defender.

Yeah Monroe really shut down Michael "Motor" Johnson....oh wait.

Oher really shut down....nobody for more than 5 straight plays.

Nice try with the witty sarcasm. It's fine if you don't like Jason Smith, but you can't honestly tell me the other 2 have more impressive film. Smith is no Ogden/Pace/Thomas/Long, but he's easily the best OT in the class ever since Andre Smith stopped caring about making money.

bitonti
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah Monroe really shut down Michael "Motor" Johnson....oh wait.

Oher really shut down....nobody for more than 5 straight plays.

Nice try with the witty sarcasm. It's fine if you don't like Jason Smith, but you can't honestly tell me the other 2 have more impressive film. Smith is no Ogden/Pace/Thomas/Long, but he's easily the best OT in the class ever since Andre Smith stopped caring about making money.

Oher has the best film of any OT in the class. He shut down Spikes, Cunningham AND Dunlap in the Swamp. Smith is next, then Monroe, then Smith.

I understand the risk aspect of the draft, I understand the upside aspect and I understand Jason Smith will be a higher selection. That doesn't change the fact that Oher and Smith slugged it out pro-style in the SEC, while Jason Smith was walling people off in the Big 12.

etk
03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Oher has the best film of any OT in the class. He shut down Spikes, Cunningham AND Dunlap in the Swamp. Smith is next, then Monroe, then Smith.

I understand the risk aspect of the draft, I understand the upside aspect and I understand Jason Smith will be a higher selection. That doesn't change the fact that Oher and Smith slugged it out pro-style in the SEC, while Jason Smith was walling people off in the Big 12.

Oher is very impressive physically, but he was awfully inconsistent at the Senior Bowl against linemen from all conferences. It was basically 1-1 for him where he would win one and lose on in order. It's mind-boggling.

Level of competition is not everything. Andre Smith slugging it out to an undefeated regular season in the SEC, starting every game for 3 years? That's great, but you gotta finish like Jason Smith does after every block. Why make a fool of yourself from December onward when it matters most?

Put Jason Smith in the SEC and it would be almost the same result. He's athletic, powerful and hard-working. He's gonna knock guys off their feet and drive them at any level because he's a natural and he wants it more. He's pretty shaky in his pass pro and struggles with the speed rush, however the Big 12 has plenty of athletic pass rushers, especially at DE, so that's a moot point.

bitonti
03-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Oher is very impressive physically, but he was awfully inconsistent at the Senior Bowl against linemen from all conferences. It was basically 1-1 for him where he would win one and lose on in order. It's mind-boggling.

Ah the senior bowl. Does this thing have a character limit? Im feeling a rant coming on. I was there and i wouldn't characterize it like that. He got beat occasionally, but by good players. Clay matthews, Robert Ayers, these are not bums. The issue with Oher wasn't necessarily inconsistancy as much as turning it on. He'd go out there, someone would beat him and THEN he'd wake up. it was troubling... which is why he isn't the top tackle on most boards. He's still the top guy on mine tho. I think teams were concerned about his understanding of complicated schemes etc. and that is a concern, no question he has risk factors.

I remember when Dbrickashaw Ferguson got beat by Mark Anderson at the Senior Bowl game a few years back everyone said man Brick must stink, turns out Mark Anderson was an early contributor for the Bears. It happens.

As for the event itself I think it's pretty big balls for a guy like Smith and Monroe to pull out. It's the safe move but OL should want to play. These guys should eat and breathe football. I don't think there's enough money in the world to pay a guy like Brian Cushing to stay away. Or Demeco Ryans. Say what you want about Oher he was there every day knockin heads. Jason Smith's best day took place in doors, in shorts. Not exactly football. as for the 1-on-1's Jason Smith didn't get beat at all because he didn't go. That's opting out and I don't agree with that for OL. these guys should be lunchpail guys. I know what the agent was doing and it worked so i guess good for him. But the draft isn't always about who gets picked highest, most of the time the best guy taken isn't the top guy selected.

Put Jason Smith in the SEC and it would be almost the same result. He's athletic, powerful and hard-working.

It's very possible... but b.c Smith worked out of the spread and a 2 point stance we can't say that for sure. I see Jason Smith as a better version of Chris Williams. Smart, hard working, yes yes. A professional from day 1 - that's what teams like - Very agile, probably the most agile in the class... ok I get that... unique athlete, sure... but on film people see what they want to see.

having looked at several Baylor tapes, I will he's a nice, wall off blocker with upside. I don't see that Baylor team as winning or losing that many games because of Jason Smith. can't say the same of Oher and Andre Smith, those guys basically were cornerstones of their respective programs.

Fly_EaglesFly
03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Monster Prospect!

etk
03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
As for the event itself I think it's pretty big balls for a guy like Smith and Monroe to pull out. It's the safe move but OL should want to play. These guys should eat and breathe football. I don't think there's enough money in the world to pay a guy like Brian Cushing to stay away. Or Demeco Ryans. Say what you want about Oher he was there every day knockin heads. Jason Smith's best day took place in doors, in shorts. Not exactly football. as for the 1-on-1's Jason Smith didn't get beat at all because he didn't go. That's opting out and I don't agree with that for OL. these guys should be lunchpail guys. I know what the agent was doing and it worked so i guess good for him. But the draft isn't always about who gets picked highest, most of the time the best guy taken isn't the top guy selected.

It's very possible... but b.c Smith worked out of the spread and a 2 point stance we can't say that for sure. I see Jason Smith as a better version of Chris Williams. Smart, hard working, yes yes. A professional from day 1 - that's what teams like - Very agile, probably the most agile in the class... ok I get that... unique athlete, sure... but on film people see what they want to see.

having looked at several Baylor tapes, I will he's a nice, wall off blocker with upside. I don't see that Baylor team as winning or losing that many games because of Jason Smith. can't say the same of Oher and Andre Smith, those guys basically were cornerstones of their respective programs.

I agree with that last paragraph about the Senior Bowl. That's where OL make their money and it's a must-attend event. Past prospects set the trend of skipping out on it and now every top guy follows.

I don't see what's so worrisome about the 2-point stance and the spread. Smith obviously has top-notch physical and mental tools. The spread didn't hide his flaws either as he had some poor plays in pass pro in that film alone.

A better version of Chris Williams sounds good to me...good enough to be the #1 OT in this class and top-3 overall.

Not sure what you mean about people seeing what they want to see. I don't really pay attention to early scouting reports of OL. I watch the games and let their play decide, so I don't end up looking for something in the film because someone said it.

Smith didn't really make a difference in the outcome of his games, but his impact is obvious. He's throwing LBers around 15 yards down the field while his counterparts can't handle anyone. Andre Smith was more valuable because of his power in the run game....running behind him was stealing candy from a baby. I like Andre better as a football player but right now his status is up in the air.

Mr. Hero
03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Jason Smith is the only prospect in this draft who's close to Curry's level. Everyone talks about his upside as though he's not much of a player right now but his pass blocking is incredible and as a run blocker he shows good technique and great fiestiness. He won't be a mammoth road blocker, but he'll be a very good run blocking LT as well a truly exceptional pass blocking LT. Think a rich man's Ryan Clady without the learning disability and conference.

etk
03-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Jason Smith is the only prospect in this draft who's close to Curry's level. Everyone talks about his upside as though he's not much of a player right now but his pass blocking is incredible and as a run blocker he shows good technique and great fiestiness. He won't be a mammoth road blocker, but he'll be a very good run blocking LT as well a truly exceptional pass blocking LT. Think a rich man's Ryan Clady without the learning disability and conference.

I don't see the "truly exceptional pass blocker". He's pretty raw and can be beat with speed. Ryan Clady had/has tremendously gifted feet. Smith is a good athlete, but he's not a "dancing bear" like Clady is. His overall game is better than Clady's though.

Me Likey Rookies
03-06-2009, 12:03 AM
A rich man's Clady? There aint getting much better than what Clady was last year.

Mr. Hero
03-06-2009, 01:05 AM
A rich man's Clady? There aint getting much better than what Clady was last year.

That is my point, I loved clady but I think once they reach their respective peaks Jason Smith will be a similar player just better athletically.

Clady had a much better understanding of where his feet should be but I see Jason smith moving his feet more quickly, although he does so less effectively, that's also where he screws himself with speed rushers. He is a very good pass blocker right now, he has his faults, but that's something that a good OL coach should work out with him by the end of his rookie season, if not by the time TC wraps up, and once he's there I think we'll see his play really take off to the point where he's in that elite LTs conversation.

roscoesdad27
03-06-2009, 08:22 AM
andre smith is better and will be drafted higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md-EZ6TOWyw&feature=related

etk
03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
andre smith is better and will be drafted higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md-EZ6TOWyw&feature=related

He absolutely will not be drafted higher.

stephenson86
03-06-2009, 03:42 PM
cant believe robert griffin III is a year younger than me...cant believe it

jsagan77
03-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I haven't been impressed with Jason Smith since he was hyped up months ago... Status wise, he's just this years Brandon Albert to me.. Some draftnik sees a guy on tape and the player takes a meteoric rise to the top of the draft... There can't be any way I was the only one not impressed?

It's pretty apparent to me, in this video, as in most video's i've seen of Smith, that the D was trying not to over pursue because of their lightning quick QB. All Smith had to do was shield the guy for like 2 seconds.. Even when he worked to the second level he didn't maul anyone or completely dominate his man like you'd expect from a top OT...

Sure he's athletic and strong, but he's raw and is going to need to be coached up at the next level. I'm telling you now he is going to be so use to having his pads high from his 2 point stance, that when he comes up out of a 3 point stance, he'll get beaten early and often. He's just way too raw to take off the board with a top pick no matter how much people want to buy into the hype...

Will he be good? Probably.. Will he be dominant or ready to go to the Pro Bowl in his first full year? I'm not buying it... I think he'll but just what Albert was last year.. A raw guy with tons of upside that can possibly be dominant, who will get taken on his physical ability a lone...