PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round pick a WR for NY Jets?

TT Gator
02-28-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm sure many of you know the Jets have released Laveranues Coles. Now unless their able to pick up a starting WR in free agency this off-season their going to have a big hole to fill. Even before he was released I thought for sure they'd pick up a reciever in the 2nd. Last year IMO they just didn't have enough targets for Brett Favre. This upcoming year their going to have a young inexperianced starting QB and the last thing they need is for him to struggle because of his WRs among everything else he is going to have to deal with. Now this years WR class is thick so they could wait till the 2nd but should they pass up on an elite receiver like Percy Harvin or DHB if their still around? Assuming they don't pick up a WR in free agency are they in such dire need that they need to spend their 1st round pick on a WR?

Shane P. Hallam
03-01-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't think so, but it may happen. I mean, they got Keller last year in the 1st, I think Favre had enough. Do they need someone opposite Cotch? Maybe, but some of their reserve WRs stepped up at points as well.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Michael Crabtree, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jeremy Maclin or Kenny Britt. I thought the Jets should have looked into drafting one of them before Coles was cut, so I certainly think they should select one now. The difference is I think the Jets should get an inexpensive veteran receiver in addition to drafting one.

jj45
03-01-2009, 12:21 AM
I really don't want the jets to take bey from the bears
But in my opinion has always been a need I don't like teams that have just short receivers unless he elite like a steve smith type I think a redzone time like rames or get kenny britt he is good but I think u guys should grab sanchez if he falls .

Hurricanes25
03-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I think they will take a WR because they are adddressing their other needs in Free Agency. I want DHB, Britt, or Maclin.

regoob2
03-01-2009, 01:25 AM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

thetedginnshow
03-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Someone close to the Jets said they were looking hard at Maclin, DHB, and Nicks. It's certainly a big need to the fans, but the new regime seems to have a different sort of priorities, so it's really up in the air whether they'll go receiver or not.

03-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Would be stupid, they're better off drafting a QB in round 1, and then try to get a WR in round 2 as this class is very deep

Crickett
03-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Would be stupid, they're better off drafting a QB in round 1, and then try to get a WR in round 2 as this class is very deep

Why? So that if he doesn't immediately light it up with the Jets less than stellar receiver corps, the Jets can draft a replacement for him three years down the line too?

03-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Why? So that if he doesn't immediately light it up with the Jets less than stellar receiver corps, the Jets can draft a replacement for him two years down the line too?

No one can expect him to immediately light it up, but he'll have a young O-line with good protection, a pro bowl caliber running backs, a good young TE , and hopefully the organization will surround him with more WRs starting this year. The QB doesn't have to start this year, or next year, but the pieces can be put into place (and the pieces aren't bad at all) over 2 years. And The first round QBs this year>>>>>>>>>Kellen Clemens

scottyboy
03-01-2009, 09:49 AM
No one can expect him to immediately light it up, but he'll have a young O-line with good protection, a pro bowl caliber running backs, a good young TE , and hopefully the organization will surround him with more WRs starting this year. The QB doesn't have to start this year, or next year, but the pieces can be put into place (and the pieces aren't bad at all) over 2 years. And The first round QBs this year>>>>>>>>>Kellen Clemens

barring Stafford falling, you're completely wrong. this QB class is TERRIBLE.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Why wouldn't he be expected to immediately light it up? The whole idea of the Jets drafting a QB is that Clemens needs to be replaced because he didn't light it up when he got his opportunity in 2007. Much like Drew Brees in 2004, Kellen Clemens deserves the chance to show what he can do with a decent supporting cast and the missing piece to that supporting cast is a receiver who can get some seperation and down the field. Well, that and a #2 blocking TE, but that can be obtained in free agency or later in the draft.

03-01-2009, 10:00 AM

this QB class is not terrible per se , it's just not deep AT all.. The top 3 QBs are good prospects, but it levels off after that.

Crickett
Kellen Clemens is clearly never going to amount to anything, a former spread QB who hasn't shown much in his mental progress and doesn't have the deep ball to scare teams, WOW, that guy clearly deserves a shot. The fact is that the JEts are in a position to make a move to draft one of the top 3 QBs, and very likely could have Mark Sanchez. These guys are all more athletic, have better arms, and are MUCH younger than the soon to be 26 year old Clemens. I say teh hell with him.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 10:04 AM
this QB class is not terrible per se , it's just not deep AT all.. The top 3 QBs are good prospects, but it levels off after that.

Crickett
Kellen Clemens is clearly never going to amount to anything, a former spread QB who hasn't shown much in his mental progress and doesn't have the deep ball to scare teams, WOW, that guy clearly deserves a shot.

The only thing this can be based on was Clemens 2007 performance where he had no one to throw to and was constantly running for his life. To say that he isn't going to amount to anything after not succeeding in that environment is ridiculous.

You say that the Jets wouldn't force a rookie quarterback to start immediately, but if he doesn't, who does that leave as the starter? Kellen Clemens.

03-01-2009, 10:07 AM
The only thing this can be based on was Clemens 2007 performance where he had no one to throw to and was constantly running for his life. I'd like to see Clemens actually get a real opportunity to show what he can do before the Jets draft Phillip Rivers with a Drew Brees on the roster.

The Chargers were better off for that situation,as they had a pro bowl QB either way, and whose presence pushed the other to improve.

Clemens is nothing to write home about, at all, he has okay arm strength, average size, and gets hurt a lot. You generally wouldn't want those characteristics in your young QB who you want to lead you to the Super Bowl. The fact is all of the 3 QBs who are first round material in this draft are more talented than Clemens and the Jets should consider them heavily with their first round pick .

Shane P. Hallam
03-01-2009, 10:08 AM

They are, but the Jets reached for Clemens. Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman are all better prospects than Clemens was.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 10:15 AM
The Chargers were better off for that situation,as they had a pro bowl QB either way, and whose presence pushed the other to improve.

Clemens is nothing to write home about, at all, he has okay arm strength, average size, and gets hurt a lot. You generally wouldn't want those characteristics in your young QB who you want to lead you to the Super Bowl. The fact is all of the 3 QBs who are first round material in this draft are more talented than Clemens and the Jets should consider them heavily with their first round pick .

The Chargers could have had Larry Fitzgerald with Drew Bress throwing him the ball instead of letting the former MVP runner up go for no compensation. Or given the trade down, Sean Taylor.

As for Clemens?

Average size? You do know Sanchez and Clemens are the same size, right?
Average arm? I've seen Chad Pennington throw, I know what a noodle armed quarterback looks like. Clemens is not that by any means and last I checked, Mark Sanchez did not have a JaMarcus Russell/Ben Roethlisberger howitzer arm.

03-01-2009, 10:20 AM
The Chargers could have had Larry Fitzgerald with Drew Bress throwing him the ball instead of letting the former MVP runner up go for no compensation. Or given the trade down, Sean Taylor.

As for Clemens?

Average size? You do know Sanchez and Clemens are the same size, right?
Average arm? I've seen Chad Pennington throw, I know what a noodle armed quarterback looks like. Clemens is not that by any means and last I checked, Mark Sanchez did not have a JaMarcus Russell/Ben Roethlisberger howitzer arm.

Average Size?I know Sanchez is the same size, but his physical tools are better than Kellen Clemens, as he is more elusive and more athletic than Kellen Clemens.
Average arm? Chad Pennington had a terrible arm. I didn't say Clemens had a terrible arm, just an okay one. Sanchez doesn't have a cannon arm, but it is several notches better than Clemens'.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Average Size?I know Sanchez is the same size, but his physical tools are better than Kellen Clemens, as he is more elusive and more athletic than Kellen Clemens.
Average arm? Chad Pennington had a terrible arm. I didn't say Clemens had a terrible arm, just an okay one. Sanchez doesn't have a cannon arm, but it is several notches better than Clemens'.

Clemens showed himself to be plenty athletic running for his life in 2007.

Case in point
Attmpt Yrds Avg Td
Kellen Clemens 2007 27 111 4.1 1
Matt Sanchez 2008 52 16 0.3 3

As for Sanchez, yeah, he does have stronger arm, but I'd argue that its not sufficiently so to warrent drafting him in the first round when Clemens is already on the roster and would be starting anyway (unless the Jets would throw Sanchez into the fire immediately). And again, you could make the same arguments about Sanchez that you're making about Clemens should Sanchez fail to immediately light it up in the NFL.

03-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Clemens showed himself to be plenty athletic running for his life in 2007.

Case in point
Attmpt Yrds Avg Td
Kellen Clemens 2007 27 111 4.1 1
Matt Sanchez 2008 52 16 0.3 3

As for Sanchez, yeah, he does have stronger arm, but I'd argue that its not sufficiently so to warrent drafting him in the first round when Clemens is already on the roster and would be starting anyway (unless the Jets would throw Sanchez into the fire immediately). And again, you could make the same arguments about Sanchez that you're making about Clemens should Sanchez fail to immediately light it up in the NFL.
this is going in a circle.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 10:43 AM
this is going in a circle.

Yep. The Jets very well could draft Sanchez. But I'd rather that they filled the hole created by Laveranues Coles' lack of production down the field and exacerbated by his outright release. Its JMO.

ManOverboard
03-01-2009, 10:46 AM
If Sanchez doesn't fall I pray we grab Britt.

nepg
03-01-2009, 11:02 AM
If Tyson Jackson's there, that's a bigger play than a WR. After Crabs (would be funny to have Crotch and Crabs on the same team), Maclin, and DHB, it's really hard to discern where to value WRs, and which ones are really the best of the rest...

They should draft a couple WRs after the first round...the other talent is just too good to pass on for a borderline WR prospect in round 1. Plenty of great value at WR later, and they should like Crotch and Stuckey (combined with the TE's) enough to be comfortable addressing the need with later picks and free agency...
________
VAPORIZER VOLCANO (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

Crickett
03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
If Tyson Jackson's there, that's a bigger play than a WR. After Crabs (would be funny to have Crotch and Crabs on the same team), Maclin, and DHB, it's really hard to discern where to value WRs, and which ones are really the best of the rest...

Why would that be a bigger play than a WR either? Kenyon Coleman is servicable and Shaun Ellis is aging but still very productive leading the Jets in sacks a-g-a-i-n. Meanwhile, at WR, Chansi Stuckey is a up and coming receiver, but I don't think I'd want to rely on him to be the Jets #2 and Jerricho Cotchery is more of a very good #2 WR than a #1.

derza222
03-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I'd have to imagine they're looking very, very hard at a WR in the first. Outside of Crabtree, they have a shot to get every other wideout in the draft and a very good chance to have their choice of DHB, Nicks, and Britt at 17.

The lack of a true #1 and a guy who can separate on his own consistently made WR a big need before cutting Coles, and now that they only have one starter on the roster it's a huge need.

It seems they're going to see what they can get out of the QB's on the roster and there's certainly some potential there as well as scheme consistency so it's not an awful move in my eyes.

Could they go Sanchez? Sure, but I'm not sure they do if he's available (it seems like they won't at this point), and given the Bucs will probably try to flip ahead of them to grab him I'm not sure he's there anyway.

nepg
03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Erik Ainge is better than any QB in this draft class, to be quite honest. Especially with a much-improved defense and more focus placed on the running game.
________
VAPORIZER WIKI (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

03-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Erik Ainge is better than any QB in this draft class, to be quite honest. Especially with a much-improved defense and more focus placed on the running game.

You need to quit right now.

derza222
03-01-2009, 12:40 PM
You need to quit right now.

Don't take this as me saying I agree with that statement at all, because right now I don't, but Ainge is certainly an interesting dark horse for the Jets if they do have that 3 man competition Ryan has been talking about. Nobody really talks about him but I'll be interested to see if he makes an unexpected leap.

nepg
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Ainge is in the Pennington mold of just being super efficient and not making negative plays. You have to remember how stacked last year's QB class was. The Jets would win a lot of games with Ainge.
________
Medical Marijuana Balboa Medical Center (http://www.dispensaries.org/)

derza222
03-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Ainge is in the Pennington mold of just being super efficient and not making negative plays. You have to remember how stacked last year's QB class was. The Jets would win a lot of games with Ainge.

Ainge gets a lot better zip than Pennington ever did. I could be wrong but I thought he was near the top of the velocity competition at the combine...second to Flacco if memory serves.

nepg
03-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Wasn't comparing arms, just styles (efficiency). Ainge does have a pretty good arm...
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Grizzlegom
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM

if they really don't draft a QB and go with one of the three they have, i think Ainge could very well win for that reason alone. Rex Ryan wins with pounding the football, playing defense, and not turning the ball over so if Ainge is the best game manager and most efficient, i don't see why he wouldn't be the starter.

RaiderNation
03-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Maclin or DHB should be there

nepg
03-01-2009, 02:04 PM
They'll be gone...probably long gone.
________
Laguna Bay II Condos Prathumnak (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Crickett
03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Percy Harvin is not an "elite" receiver. The Jets probably will go for a more polished receiver than DHB.

If Maclin isn't there, then who? Nicks is a good receiver prospect, but doesn't really give the Jets the deep threat they lack. Kenny Britt is a definite possibility, but I don't know if I'd want to take him ahead of DHB.

GET LOOSE
03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Maclin and DHB are the only WRs I would like at 17. I like Nicks and Britt as well but not that high. If Maclin and DHB are gone I wouldnt mind a trade down to go with the other guys. All I know is we really do need to draft a WR in the 1st but if not then definitly the 2nd

Crickett
03-01-2009, 07:18 PM
The Jets need a reliable pass catcher. Clemens doesn't have the strongest arm so speed is not a big criteria.

The Jets already have two pretty relable receiving options in Cotchery and Keller. And Clemens does not have the strongest arm, but he's not Pennington either if you know what I mean.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Pennington and Clements have about the same arm strength.

Thats not even remotely true.

GET LOOSE
03-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I dont know what you guys are talking about. Clemens has a pretty strong arm and comparing it to Chad "15 yards" Pennington is just stupid. All three QBs on our team have pretty good arms

GET LOOSE
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI2_Hm_lN2A.

Chad Pennington?? Ok

NJX9isahomoo
03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Chad Pennington makes pretty good use of his candy arm. He took a 1-15 team to the playoffs while the Jets with the drama queen failed to make the playoffs.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Chad Pennington makes pretty good use of his candy arm. He took a 1-15 team to the playoffs while the Jets with the drama queen failed to make the playoffs.

Quarterbacks can win (in the regular season) without having a strong arm. But he's still called ole' noodle arm for a reason. He has the weakest arm among starting NFL quarterbacks. Probably among most of the backups too.

NJX9isahomoo
03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Quarterbacks can win (in the regular season) without having a strong arm. But he's still called ole' noodle arm for a reason. He has the weakest arm among starting NFL quarterbacks. Probably among most of the backups too.

And all Pennington does is to win. The Jets always were worse off when he didn't play. This past season is no exception either.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 07:48 PM
And all Pennington does is to win. The Jets always were worse off when he didn't play. This past season is no exception either.

Except in 2006 and 2007 when he lost. A lot. And no, the Jets were not worse off without him. Winning regular season games does not make Pennington's arm magically strong which was the original topic we were discussing here.

NJX9isahomoo
03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Except in 2006 and 2007 when he lost. A lot. And no, the Jets were not worse off without him. Winning regular season games does not make Pennington's arm magically strong which was the original topic we were discussing here.

Miami 11-5 > Jet 9-7 with a future Hall of Famer drama queen. That all that matters.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Pennington and Clements have about the same arm strength. Too bad Kellen Clements isn't as accurate as Pennington.

Miami 11-5 > Jet 9-7 with a future Hall of Famer drama queen. That all that matters.

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

GET LOOSE
03-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Bottom line is that Clemens has a strong arm and good mobility. Chad is accurate. We have 3 young QBs and giving them another WR to throw to is better than drafting another young QB and giving him a limited amount of weapons.

NJX9isahomoo
03-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Bottom line is that Clemens has a strong arm and good mobility. Chad is accurate. We have 3 young QBs and giving them another WR to throw to is better than drafting another young QB and giving him a limited amount of weapons.

Clemens sure showed what a good QB he was in 2007. He sucked. If he was good, the Jets would not have signed the drama queen.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Clemens sure showed what a good QB he was in 2007. He sucked. If he was good, the Jets would not have signed the drama queen.

I could for the 92,708th time go over the Jets offensive woes, their bad OL, nonexistant run game, maybe throw in a Pennington went 1-7 crack. But Im not going to bother. You're a troll. And you're going to be banned soon. Again.

GET LOOSE
03-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Wow you really know nothing about what your talking about do you. 1st of all we were not a good team in 07 and that was his first year of starting. A lot of QBs were not good in their first season. Second of all we signed Farve cause we felt we could win the SB (and adding Farve would give us a better shot).

NJX9isahomoo
03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Wow you really know nothing about what your talking about do you. 1st of all we were not a good team in 07 and that was his first year of starting. A lot of QBs were not good in their first season. Second of all we signed Farve cause we felt we could win the SB (and adding Farve would give us a better shot).

I guess you felt wrong. Favre cost you a shot at winning a Super Bowl.

Halsey
03-02-2009, 01:30 AM
I guess you felt wrong. Favre cost you a shot at winning a Super Bowl.

Not unless you think they had a shot without him. The Jets weren't going to the Super Bowl with or without Favre. The Jets were a better team with Favre for the first 10 or so games, until the wear of the season and cold weather took a toll on his 39 year old, 18 year veteran body.

Whether or not Clemens can be a solid starting QB is something nobody knows for sure. The Jets coaching staff needs to sit down and evaluate the heck out of Clemens and their other 2 young QB's. If they don't think any of them has a future as a quality starting QB, finding one this offseason should be a top priority. One guy they might want to look at in the 2nd is Rhett Bomar. He seems like a nice talent who has the arm strength to handle the windy conditions in NY.

TT Gator
03-02-2009, 03:29 AM
The only thing this can be based on was Clemens 2007 performance where he had no one to throw to and was constantly running for his life. To say that he isn't going to amount to anything after not succeeding in that environment is ridiculous.

You say that the Jets wouldn't force a rookie quarterback to start immediately, but if he doesn't, who does that leave as the starter? Kellen Clemens.

I agree completely. New York's a different team they've gotten better on the O-line and defence. But now their missing a #1 receiver Cotcherys no slouch but he's not going to be able to do it all. The more I think about it, the more a 1st round WR makes sense for the Jets. The QB class is weak this year and with the Jets at pick #17 I can't see Sanchez or Stafford(the only ones who could i'd call "elite" signal callers) still being there. They could draft Freeman but I honestly don't think he'd do much better or worse then Clemens. After picking up Bart Scott and Lito Sheppard their defence is starting look impressive. They could use a young pass rusher at DE but Ellis still has a couple years in him and Coleman contributes every year. I say take advantage of the impressive WR class and pick up Maclin(if hes around),DHB, Harvin, or Nicks who all have big playmaking potential. Teams this offseason are looking for young receivers and who knows how many quality WRs will make it till their 2nd round pick. Even if Clemens chokes next year you'll have 3 young threats for your passing game for years to come(Cotchery, Keller). This draft is their opportunity to get an elite receiver mid-first round. The 2010 Draft I really believe will be full of QBs with rookie starting potential. So I say wait and give Clemens a chance if he flops next year you'll have plenty of elite prospects to chose from and when he's throwing TDs to DHB you'll be glad you waited.