PDA

View Full Version : Redskins 2009 Draft

toddmlazarchick
03-01-2009, 01:02 PM
With the resigning of Hall and the new contracts of Dockery and Haynesworth I wanna know what you guys think or what you guys want us to do in the draft. Personally I want us to either fill the OLB hole or a RT. The only RT I think we should get is Jason Smith or Michael Oher. Andre Smith is just too risky for my blood. He doesnt seem to have his head on right. Maualuga or Oher is my pick at 13. If we trade back and pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick then I wanna go after Clay Matthews. Imagine a line up like this:

D:
DE - Jason Taylor
DT - Albert Haynesworth
DT - Cornelius Griffin / Anthony Montgomery
DE - Andre Carter

OLB - Rocky McIntosh
MLB - London Fletcher
OLB - Rey Maualuga / Clay Matthews

CB - DeAngelo Hall
CB - Carlos Rogers
SS - Chris Horton
FS - LaRon Landry

O:
QB - Jason Campbell
RB - Clinton Portis
FB - Mike Sellers
WR - Santana Moss
WR - Devin Thomas / Malcolm Kelly
TE - Chris Cooley / Fred Davis
LT - Chris Samuels
LG - Derrick Dockery
C - Casey Rabach / Draft Pick
RG - Randy Thomas / Chad Rinehart
RT - Stephon Heyer / Michael Oher

I think with our 5th round pick we need a C who can also play guard as well.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
At this point BPA is the way we will go. You seem to love Oher and hate Andre Smith, I feel the same way. Oher to me is just as big of a risk as Smith but Smith is more talented. Personally I don't care who we take as long as it is BPA.

toddmlazarchick
03-01-2009, 02:28 PM
At this point BPA is the way we will go. You seem to love Oher and hate Andre Smith, I feel the same way. Oher to me is just as big of a risk as Smith but Smith is more talented. Personally I don't care who we take as long as it is BPA.

I read the book on Oher (The Blind Side) and his risks are very overplayed. The kid is a pure stud. He plays with such a nasty side to him that would be perfect for our OL. Smith to me seems like he is just going pro for one reason, the cash. He doesnt seem to be taking this seriously. If he can prove otherwise I have no problem taking him but right now I dont want him.

2 Live Crew
03-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Yea if 1 of Oher/Smith are there I want them. I also wouldn't mind Orakpo if he's there. Some more lineman please

toddmlazarchick
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
If we dont sign another FA until the draft then our first 2 picks have to be OT and LB. It just depends who is there at 13 and if we can trade back or not.

Red_BearSkins
03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I hope Andre Smith falls to 13 and then somehow Eric Wood falls to us in the 3rd.

Our o-line would get younger, more talented, and mauling in the run-game. That would be about as good as anyone can possibly due in one offseason to revamp an aging overrated o-line.

I heard a rumor where we're thinking of moving Jason Taylor to SAM on probable rushing downs. Also heard a rumor where Horton would be moved to SAM on passing downs.

Is this true? Who knows, but it sounds like an indication the coaches are willing to experiment with the players currently on the roster for the SAM role. Which means our 1st and 3rd won't be spent on a LB.

Suits
03-01-2009, 08:56 PM
toddm, i just read the blurb about "the blind side," and the story seems incredible. Would you recomend the book?

As far as the skins, I am now officially a huge Oher fan. From what I've heard about him he will be a player I root for regardless of his pro-team. He has given up one sack the past two years (in the SEC no less) and seems like an incredible human being. Seems like a perfect value pick at 13. He's a great fit to be groomed immediately on the right before taking over for samuels on the left in 3 years.

Beyond Oher I could live with Maualuga at 13 as well, although I think we could pick him up later. He would add a Sean-like nastiness to our d - a toughness no other player in this draft has (appologies to Curry, but Maualuga demoralizes offenses with his style of play). I would prefer to trade back to draft anyone but Oher - somewhere in the 20s or even the early second in order to pick up a 3rd or 2nd. Maualuga, Lauranitis, and Cush would be better value back there, as would Andre Smith.

ChefMike
03-02-2009, 08:16 AM
I think you need to go LB in the 1st and then OL in the 2nd and 3rd. Heyer is a serviceable back up but a real starting LT? NO WAY but Oher and the Alabama disappearing act look nasty but look stiff to me. Not really able to handle a speed rush from a Suggs or a Merriman or a Usi.

But BPA should be the way to go. I am a Ravens diehard and would love to see you guys get better through the draft. You would create a dynasty that would be unstoppable you have a revenue base that kills everyother franchise and if you had young talent to sign long term that you drafted... you would destroy the rest of the league... you could probably raise Vince Lombardi from the dead to run your franchise if you had the talent !!!!!!

SeanTaylorRIP
03-02-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't really understand the want for Rey Mag, an OLB is a much bigger need as do we really want HB starting all year, also you never know if Rocky can stay healthy and behind those 2 there is zero depth. It's really tough though as there isn't a single OLB worth taking at 13 as Curry obviously will be gone. We should just sign Ray Willis which would take care of the RT problem, and if we can't trade down will be forced to go BPA but that doesn't mean reach on a LB. Maybe that means you take the top corner if you still plan on trading Los, We amazing depth behind Haynes but maybe even a Perria Jerry who could have 10 sacks from the DT position with Haynesworth demanding so much interior attention. Lets not forget DE is still a big need, Larry English would be a dream coming off the edge. Dare I say it but I know Vinny will give DHB, Maclin, and especially Crabtree a look if they drop. I think LB is much easier to to get later in the draft. Because of Haynes freeing up our backers one of those smaller quick guys like Tyron McKenzie or Marcus Freeman could be an absolute playmaker in our defense. It would really clear things up if we can find a way to sign Ray Willis or Angelo Crowell which would be pretty expensive.

DiG
03-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Unless Oher is on the board then i feel a trade down is absolutely our best bet because the OLBs that I'd be interested in would be a reach at 13 for sure. Sintim or Cushing would be good picks later in the first. I'm still interested in possible depth at corner too. Something similar to the following would be nice:

Pick at 13:

RD1 - Oher
RD3 - Cody Brown / Kevin Barnes

Trade down:
RD 1 - Brian Cushing / Larry English
RD 2 - William Beatty / Phil Loadholt
RD 3 - Barnes / Mike Mickens / Brandon Tate (Tate > Nicks. You heard it here first)

skinzzfan25
03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Unless Oher is on the board then i feel a trade down is absolutely our best bet because the OLBs that I'd be interested in would be a reach at 13 for sure. Sintim or Cushing would be good picks later in the first. I'm still interested in possible depth at corner too. Something similar to the following would be nice:

Pick at 13:

RD1 - Oher
RD3 - Cody Brown / Kevin Barnes

Trade down:
RD 1 - Brian Cushing / Larry English
RD 2 - William Beatty / Phil Loadholt
RD 3 - Barnes / Mike Mickens / Brandon Tate (Tate > Nicks. You heard it here first)

I like both of those scenarios.

And Ghetto, I'd LOVE to see us get Crowell. But like you said, we're probably limited in FA now. I still don't see legit receivers in either Thomas or Kelly, if we can trade down to the 20s and one of the big 3 (Crabs,Mac,DHB) is still on the board, we have to take him. I'm not sure if I'd take DHB or Mac at 13 though.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-02-2009, 09:19 AM
I like both of those scenarios.

And Ghetto, I'd LOVE to see us get Crowell. But like you said, we're probably limited in FA now. I still don't see legit receivers in either Thomas or Kelly, if we can trade down to the 20s and one of the big 3 (Crabs,Mac,DHB) is still on the board, we have to take him. I'm not sure if I'd take DHB or Mac at 13 though.

IMO DHB's stock now is 7-18.

Red_BearSkins
03-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm starting to get worried that no matter what OT we draft in the 1st round, Buges won't start. He'll sit him in favor of Heyer or Ray Willis (assuming we get him).

That means if we want an immediate impact with our 1st rounder, it would have to be LB. Vinny is good at drafting LBs and DBs, and I don't think he wants to be known for drafting a bust with a 1st rounder. The two OT's that will fall are still really talented, but have a higher than you'd like bust chance (Oher/Smith). So he might go his usual BPA route, and get a LB, since that has a lesser chance of being a bust.

I know he's high on Orakpo, so he might stick him at SAM if he falls to us, but I hope that pick only happens if Blache incorporates more blitzes.

toddmlazarchick
03-02-2009, 01:32 PM
The love for Rey from me comes at his intensity and leadership. He has talent that you just dont pass on. After Curry there is no OLB worth the #13 pick. But for me taking Rey and moving him to OLB at #13 is move valuable then trading back and taking a lesser talent like Cushing or Sintim. I dont not like Cushing at all. He has been hurt all 4 years at USC. To me he is a HUGE bust waiting to happen. Id still like to sign Willis and Crowell so when the draft comes around we truely can go BPA.

2 Live Crew
03-02-2009, 01:34 PM
A LB does not have a lesser chance of being a bust than an OL in the first round. If anything it is the other way around. Especially not where we are drafting. Any LB at 13 this year will be a reach. Oher/Smith would certainly not be reaches there.

Worst case scenario for Oher/Smith is basically a decent RT. Thats far from a "bust".

SeanTaylorRIP
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
The love for Rey from me comes at his intensity and leadership. He has talent that you just dont pass on. After Curry there is no OLB worth the #13 pick. But for me taking Rey and moving him to OLB at #13 is move valuable then trading back and taking a lesser talent like Cushing or Sintim. I dont not like Cushing at all. He has been hurt all 4 years at USC. To me he is a HUGE bust waiting to happen. Id still like to sign Willis and Crowell so when the draft comes around we truely can go BPA.

Lets be real here. I know you love Rey because of his intensity and he does lay wood but lets be real here, moving him to OLB? If he were an OLB he wouldn't be in my top 7 at all. He already struggles with speed at MLB, at OLB, Robert Royal could get 80 yard catches. Rey stinks in open space.

Red_BearSkins
03-02-2009, 01:58 PM
IMO DHB's stock now is 7-18.

Fortunately, Cerrato doesn't really feel comfortable drafting WR's. As indicated by his philosophy of loading up on pass-catchers last year, thinking at least one of them has to be good.

The Redskins have had a very unfortunate history of drafting WR busts, Cerrato knows this, and doesn't want to perpetuate it.

I don't like DHB at ALL. But his great combine could deceive some teams into trading up (hopefully), to nab him.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Honestly I want us to trade down...

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Honestly I want us to trade down...

No one wants that big rookie contract they have to pay. Trading down is something you can't plan for only will happen if someone drops that a team desperately wants. I pray someone like Mark Sanchez drops as teams will give up more than face value to move up for a franchise QB, i.e. Ravens and Flacco last season.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
No one wants that big rookie contract they have to pay. Trading down is something you can't plan for only will happen if someone drops that a team desperately wants. I pray someone like Mark Sanchez drops as teams will give up more than face value to move up for a franchise QB, i.e. Ravens and Flacco last season.

We're on the same page...With KC trading for Cassel there is a strong chance that Sanchez will fall...There u have a trade on the table for pick 13...If Vinny doesn't somehow screw it up...I'd be a happy man...

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
We're on the same page...With KC trading for Cassel there is a strong chance that Sanchez will fall...There u have a trade on the table for pick 13...If Vinny doesn't somehow screw it up...I'd be a happy man...

Although I fear San Fran takes him at 10. They want Warner so obviously are not satisfied with Shaun Hill and Alex Smith plus Sanchez is a local product. Someone like the Jets would definitely trade up with us, although sucks Minnesota seems to be fine with Rosenfels, Jackson, and Booty.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Although I fear San Fran takes him at 10. They want Warner so obviously are not satisfied with Shaun Hill and Alex Smith plus Sanchez is a local product. Someone like the Jets would definitely trade up with us, although sucks Minnesota seems to be fine with Rosenfels, Jackson, and Booty.

Im hoping San Fran does something dumb like draft Rey Rey

703SKINS202
03-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Have no fear:

http://vimeo.com/3454205

DreadedDatSkinsFan
03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
LOL...Vinny needs to go back to acting...

skinzzfan25
03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/78315/gmailCerrato.jpg

ROFL

critesy
03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
ahahahah thats awesome

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2009, 06:11 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/78315/gmailCerrato.jpg

ROFL

That's classic. + Rep for finding that. Whoever made that must have a lot of time on their hands.

skinzzfan25
03-03-2009, 08:17 PM
That's classic. + Rep for finding that. Whoever made that must have a lot of time on their hands.

Saw it on ES, had to repost it. But I'm guessing somebody from HH made it from the watermark on the bottom. And they've made other good stuff like that in the past.

I've seen other ones like this but with God and Jesus haha.

toddmlazarchick
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Lets be real here. I know you love Rey because of his intensity and he does lay wood but lets be real here, moving him to OLB? If he were an OLB he wouldn't be in my top 7 at all. He already struggles with speed at MLB, at OLB, Robert Royal could get 80 yard catches. Rey stinks in open space.

Wow really? He struggles in open space? You obviously dont watch him play at all. No speed? I cant take you seriously anymore

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow really? He struggles in open space? You obviously dont watch him play at all. No speed? I cant take you seriously anymore

Have you seen him in coverage?

critesy
03-04-2009, 12:01 AM

yeah really, have you seen him play. he is basically a two down linebacker.
his intensity may fool some people into thinking that he plays faster then he really is.

toddmlazarchick
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
yeah really, have you seen him play. he is basically a two down linebacker.
his intensity may fool some people into thinking that he plays faster then he really is.

Have you seen him in coverage?

Yes I have watched film of him covering a much fast RB out of the backfield and him covering a TE. He is always in position to make a play or the tackle.

Red_BearSkins
03-04-2009, 05:17 PM

I think this has more to do with hurting their division rivals, the Cardinals, by taking away their QB. I don't think this means that San Fran will draft a QB.

roscoesdad27
03-06-2009, 01:34 PM
1) M. Johnson d.e. g.t.
extremely athletic d.e. with tremendous upside to line up and take advantage of the attention haynesworth will be recieving....a bit risky but johnson could blossom into a younger version of jason taylor...well worth the risk for you guys with the way the board fell here....sleeper

3) J. Luigis c/o.g. arkansas
2 time remington winner is a powerful run blocker and is soli in pass protection...natural center and line general could play o.g. if need be.

complete mock here
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1533596&posted=1#post1533596

thoughts?

treyskins
03-06-2009, 04:14 PM
1)m. johnson= dont think so.

Defensive Coach Blache wants to stuff the run first.
Scott Wrights own scout report says "almost a non-factor against the run" and is reckoned to be a 2nd rounder.
If orakpo/brown/mualaga are gone then trade with a team for q.b. sanchez or tyson jackson helps the skins more.

3)luigs=a fine pick for us if wood and caldwell are gone.

Overall, i think maclin/jerry/english/mack/unger/beatty/britton are too far down your mock but that apart a decent stab at it.

DiG
04-03-2009, 09:26 PM
smoot says we should draft fat boys:

"Fat boys wins my game. I know football, and in December, in the playoffs, fat boys win. Whoever's got the best fat boys is gonna win, so I'm gonna collect fat boys. I can find Fred Smoots -- not a dime a dozen, but I can find cornerbacks that can make plays. I can find that. I can't find a big boy that can push this line for four quarters."

toddmlazarchick
04-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Assuming we enter the draft as we stand player wise right now who do you want/think we should pick in each round?

If we stay at #13 and dont trade back:

Round 1: Rey Maualuga - LB - USC: This is a very iffy pick with a lot of people. It seems right down the middle as far as for or against Rey. Im all for him. He DOES have the athletic ability to play outside and he DOES have the speed to be effective. He is an excellent pass rusher. IMO without a stellar pass rushing DE we will need to be effective bringing the pressure from the second level. Haynesworth eating up blockers in the middle can cause openings for Rey to cause havoc on the opposing QB. He is an excellent run stuffer as well and will fit our defensive mold of being a difficult defense to run against. Rey is the perfect type of player to take over for Fletcher when he retires. Im not sold on Blades being anything more then depth and special teams player.

Round 3: Lawrence Sidbury - DE - Richmond: Sidbury is starting to get noticed by a lot of people. This kid has a non-stop motor. He has a great pass rushing moves. One known as the "Sidbury Spin Move". The knock on him is his competition playing for Richmond. He can become what we hoped we would have gotten from Jason Taylor. He is heavier then Taylor so he will be more stout against the run but that is an area where he needs to improve some. He is known for being a vocal leader and his upside is tremendous.

Round 5: Ricky Jean-Francois - DT - LSU: This could end up being one heck of a steal in the end. Ricky was a Freshman All-American in 2006. In 2007 he served a one year suspension for an off the field issue but did play in the BCS National Championship Game and was named Most Valuable Player of the game as a sophomore. Entering his junior year his expectations were huge but he was injured and never fully played to his potential. He decided to go pro after his mediocre junior year and could play out well for us as a steal. The kid has tremendous talent there is no denying it. The question is will he learn to harness it or not? If he does he could be a real surprise. He is very very quick off the ball and gets lots of penetration. He needs to work on technique and consistency. Griffin is old and this should be his last season with us. IMO Monty is a great run stuffer but thats it. Golston is average to me. Alexander is just serviceable. Jean-Francois could be a force next to Haynesworth.

Round 6: AQ Shipley - C - Penn State: Rabach is losing a step. He had an average year last year. Within the next year or 2 he is going to need replacing. Shipley had a very good combine would be a great to sit and learn this year behind Rabach before pushing to take over. Shipley also has the ability and athleticism to move out to guard if needed. He is extremely aggressive and strong. He is also a very smart kid who would be the leader of the OL. He uses great technique, an a non-stop motor. He is also a very vocal leader. Rimmington Award Winner as nations best center. His knock is his short arms and small hands and needs to perfect his run blocking skills as well.

Round 7: Maurice Evans - DE - Penn State: Here is a kid when he is on his game he is a beast to control. His off the field issues are a big risk. He had a bad combine and seems to be dropping way off the radar. BUT when he is at his best he can be flat out dominant. He had a sensational sophomore year and was considered a sure first round lock at the beginning of this year. His off the field issues cause him to miss time and he eventually lost his starting job to Aaron Maybin. I think he would be a guy to take a risk on late in the draft. If he can come back around and get his head on right then I think he could be another huge steal. If he turns out to to still not want to turn things around then there is no real loss.

If we trade down from #13:

Round 1: Larry English - DE - Northern Illinois: DE is a huge need for us with us cutting Jason Taylor. If we trade back English would have great value for us. There is no other DE that has been as productive as English in NCAA. He racked up an enormous amount of sacks in his four years. But he played at a lesser known college and that means the talent he played against wasn't the top notch. His motor is incredible and he wont be denied. He is very skilled with pass rushing moves and very athletic. Can beat double teams and is very powerful. He has good size too to be a pass rushing DE. His knock is his size at 255lbs and that he didnt play against the top schools in the nation. English can be force to reckon with playing with Haynesworth. Albert can cause a lot of 1-on-1 matchups for English which would allow him to be very productive on the edge.

Round 2: William Beatty - OT - Connecticut: Its no lie that we struggled at RT last year and an upgrade there would be huge. Beatty has a monster frame (6'6" 307). His footwork and athleticism is excellent and he gets to the second level really well. He has really fluid hips and is very smart. He could add more bulk to his body and needs to refine his run blocking skills. He was a 3 year starter and was blocking for the nations leading rushing attack. Beatty would be an instant upgrade over Jansen and Heyer and has the athleticism to possibly make the switch to LT in a few years if he can refine his skills

Round 3: Jonathan Casillas - LB - Wisconsin: Casillas is an extremely productive LB even though he lacks ideal size and bulk for an NFL LB. He put up a 4.4 40 yard dash and has killer closing speed. His best skills come in coverage. He is athletic and quick enough to cover TEs and RBs with ease. He knows how to play the ball and force a TE or RB to make a mistake in his route. He does lack the ideal size but can add to his frame. With the athletic TEs and RBs we have in the NFC East he can be an asset in the pass coverage when needed to cover Witten or Westbrook.

Round 5: Ricky Jean-Francois - DT - LSU
Round 6: AQ Shipley - C - Penn State
Round 7: Maurice Evans - DE - Penn State

DiG
04-15-2009, 05:18 PM
i like the Rey pick Todd. I want one of the big 4 OTs in the first but assuming they are all off the board then I am really starting to lean towards Rey as the guy I want in the first. I don't think Everette or Maybin are good fits for LDE in a 4-3 and I think English and Ayers are more late first/early second round guys. I'd kill for Sidbury but I think he will be gone by our pick in the third. If he is there though its a no brainer but Rey and Sid would be an ideal draft with our first two picks if the big 4 OTs are gone.

Watch this video if you have any questions about Rey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WyMRq-7SLA

D-Unit
04-15-2009, 08:54 PM
If you guys got Rey... I would be forced to become a Redskins fan. Please tell Dan Snyder NOT to do that.

703SKINS202
04-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Whats up with us looking at Toler in round 3? Think we are looking to shop around Carlos Rogers now? We have more pressing needs than CB right now...

Edit: Also, if we trade up to get Sanchez what do you think we would have to give up say he is available at #8 with jacksonville picking. What would Jason's trade value be come draft day? 3rd Rounder?

DiG
04-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Whats up with us looking at Toler in round 3? Think we are looking to shop around Carlos Rogers now? We have more pressing needs than CB right now...

Edit: Also, if we trade up to get Sanchez what do you think we would have to give up say he is available at #8 with jacksonville picking. What would Jason's trade value be come draft day? 3rd Rounder?

Pretty sure that we would be looking at Toler for our 5th rounder or maybe even a mid or late 4th if we picked up something in a trade down. I am pretty certain it would not be with our 3rd but I think that the Skins are doing well to check out guys of all grades because theres no telling at this point what trades might happen and what picks we might end up with.

We would probably have to give up more than we can afford based on the amount of picks we have. I just don't see it happening and I'm glad. I've been pretty adamant about my feelings on Campbell and I like Sanchez but not enough to trade up unless we had more picks.

703SKINS202
04-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Pretty sure that we would be looking at Toler for our 5th rounder or maybe even a mid or late 4th if we picked up something in a trade down. I am pretty certain it would not be with our 3rd but I think that the Skins are doing well to check out guys of all grades because theres no telling at this point what trades might happen and what picks we might end up with.

We would probably have to give up more than we can afford based on the amount of picks we have. I just don't see it happening and I'm glad. I've been pretty adamant about my feelings on Campbell and I like Sanchez but not enough to trade up unless we had more picks.

Obviously we dont have the picks, we would have to give up futures. But if we go ahead with Sanchez then Campbell is surely going to be traded. What do you think we could get for him? I'm thinking maybe a 3rd rounder hopefully.

BaLLiN
04-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Obviously we dont have the picks, we would have to give up futures. But if we go ahead with Sanchez then Campbell is surely going to be traded. What do you think we could get for him? I'm thinking maybe a 3rd rounder hopefully.

id say thats about right, maybe another pick included like a 6th maybe 5th

SeanTaylorRIP
04-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Maybe it's just me but I don't believe any team in the league values Campbell as a 3rd rounder.

derza222
04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Do you guys feel there's anything to the Sanchez talk?

Canadian_draft_fan
04-16-2009, 06:34 PM
It's hard to say. Rumours flew in 2005 that we were looking at Campbell and we know what happened. I think this is a ridiculous move to go after Sanchez, especially in a trade up, but not out of the realm of possibility for the Skins idiotic FO. I just pray that this is a smoke screen to increase the value of the pick in a trade down or force someone to trade up for Sanchez so a better player falls to #13. If Sanchez is still on the board @ 13 I don't want to be near any sharp objects.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-16-2009, 06:42 PM

I truly believe that Snyder is smitten over Sanchez and when Snyder wants someone he will go after him no matter what. I'd rather not but whatever. Also to add on to earlier about J.C., I don't think anyone gives us a 3. Firstly I think there are only a handful of NFL teams who would value him as a 3rd rounder. Secondly we would have the disadvantage of other teams knowing we want to move him because we drafted Sanchez. All the other teams would have the leverage and lowball us. Also I don't know how it will work with the CBA but Campbell is slated to be a free agent. IMO cutting Campbell could actually be a possibility although unlikely at that.

DiG
04-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm fairly certain at this point that if Sanchez is on the board at 13 then he will be the pick but im also fairly certain that theres no way Sanchez will be on the board at 13 so Im not too worried about it. I like Sanchez but I dont think we can or will move up and I dont think Sanchez will be available. If things with Campbell arent successful as I expect this year then I expect us to draft Colt McCoy next year because I can't imagine wed be drafting high enough for Bradford. I'd honestly be in 7th heaven if we had Colt vs Colt through training camp and over the next few years.

I'm stickin to my guns until some new news comes out that its going to be either smith, oher, maualuga, or a trade down.

D-Unit - how would you like it if Colt McCoy, Colt Brennan, and Rey Maualua were all Skins?? :)

treyskins
04-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Bad news guys,
i think the iggles have screwed us with the trade for buffalo's tackle Peters.
If the bills use their pick 11 on Oher,with Smith gone,then there goes our chance at having someone other than Jansen as day one starter.
The iggles have done their scouting homework and dont feel Britton/Beatty or Loadholt can start straight away?

Latest news;Snyder was entertaining Sanchez last night.
Somehow i dont think seattle will just accept our 13 and next years first rounder for a shot at Sanchez.I hope it doesnt involve losing Rogers.
I hate the week before the draft!!!

toddmlazarchick
04-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Doesnt matter to me about Buffalo. I dont like Smith anyway and I dont think we would take him even if he is there. We will either trade down, trade up a few spots if Orakpo is there, take Sanchez if he falls to 13 or Maualuga.

2 Live Crew
04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/20/draft/1.html

Peter King says the Skins already have a deal in place with CLE if Sanchez falls to 5.

UGH.....

SeanTaylorRIP
04-20-2009, 05:28 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/20/draft/1.html

Peter King says the Skins already have a deal in place with CLE if Sanchez falls to 5.

UGH.....

Lets go SEATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DiG
04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Sanchez is going to be gone by 5. Book it.

D-Unit
04-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Love the rumors. Gil Brandt saying Tyson Jackson is a Top 5 lock and Peter King saying he thinks Sanchez will be gone no later than 4. Scott Pioli saying he wants to trade down desperately... and the Redskins rather have a deal with Cleveland...? My brain is going crazy.

Just hoping that you guys don't screw over Colt Brennan before you have a chance to see what you got.

2 Live Crew
04-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Sanchez is going to be gone by 5. Book it.

I hope so. Except if the Skins are the ones that do it.

toddmlazarchick
04-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Im starting to warm up to the idea of Sanchez. If Zorn thinks he is better then Campbell then Im on board.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Im starting to warm up to the idea of Sanchez. If Zorn thinks he is better then Campbell then Im on board.

Yet at the bare minimum it's going to take this years first, next years first and either Campbell or a pick equivalent to the value we'd get for him. That's for the minimum. With our LDE closer to 40 than 30 and no SLB not to mention no RT, can we really afford to deplete our already limited draft for a rookie QB. I was all over getting Cutler because he was a proven NFL starter, with Sanchez basically he starts off even further behind than Colt Brennan.

703SKINS202
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM

I'm warm on Sanchez too but at what price? A lot, that's when I become cold on Sanchez.

Canadian_draft_fan
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure it's Zorn pushing for him but whatever. Drafting Sanchez and trading Campbell does nothing but us right back to 2005 or 2006 with another rookie QB to develop. I don't see how we can be successful with a QB who has started a whole 16 games at the college level. I realize he is an excellent prospect but one that needs to sit and learn for a year, IMO. I consider it very unlikely that he will do what Ryan/Flacco did in 2008, especially with the current state of the Skins OLine.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-21-2009, 01:16 PM
If Snyder is so set on doing this I hope we trade for #5 before the draft. That way Seattle ends up taking him at 4, and we are "forced" to take Orakpo or Eugene Monroe.

DiG
04-21-2009, 01:22 PM
If Snyder is so set on doing this I hope we trade for #5 before the draft. That way Seattle ends up taking him at 4, and we are "forced" to take Orakpo or Eugene Monroe.

<3 that idea. id be giddy as a school girl with one of those two guys. but at the same time i dont want to give up next years first for either of them either. my hopes right now are that someone else wants to move up to 3, 4 or 5 for Sanchez that can offer more value this year. and if we then decide to move up to 8 or 9 for orakpo or smith/oher than so be it. that wont end up costing as much and im not sure any of those 3 will make it to us at 13.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Honestly if we are so set on making a move and making headlines then I'd rather package #13+ our 3rd rounder to move into the 7-10 range to grab Orakpo or Monroe. Hell with all the rumored crap we would give up to #3, I want Aaron Curry.

2 Live Crew
04-21-2009, 02:54 PM
If you draft Sanchez (or *gulp* trade up for him) than you can say goodbye to a playoff team for the next 2-3 years. This is not a very young team. Might as well trade off any decent veterans and rebuild around Sanchez.

Trade anyone over the age of like 25 who is decent to rebuild as fast as you can. Trade CP, Cooley, Moss, Fletcher, Rogers, Samuels, and Campbell.

Otherwise you just get stuck in this vicious cycle that we continue to be in where you just tread water. Constantly a mediocre team around 8-8 every year.

Because by the time Sanchez hits his stride (if ever), all of those above will be on a decline (some steeper than others) and you don't really gain any ground.

D-Unit
04-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Food for thought.... What if the Redskins ended up pulling a move like this???

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32866

DiG
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Food for thought.... What if the Redskins ended up pulling a move like this???

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32866

now thats crazy. i love crabtree but i have no idea what to think of that. id be speechless.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-21-2009, 03:39 PM
To be honest, I'll take that move 100 times before I make the Sanchez move. Hell with Crabs, Santana, and Cooley you could have Shane Falco back there tossing it. Anyways I don't think Sanchez is a smokescreen. He's been all over ESPN 24/7 which makes Snyder beam. Although if it is a smokescreen it would be for Orakpo who our FO loves. That I wouldn't mind at all, as to trade up for him the earliest would be 5 but we could even swing a deal in the 7-9 range. Sanchez most likely will take the 2nd or 3rd pick to secure.

DiG
04-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Although if it is a smokescreen it would be for Orakpo who our FO loves. That I wouldn't mind at all, as to trade up for him the earliest would be 5 but we could even swing a deal in the 7-9 range. Sanchez most likely will take the 2nd or 3rd pick to secure.

This is what I've been praying for. I do think that theres a chance this could be whats going on and it would make me very happy if we moved up to say 8 or 9 to take him.

DiG
04-21-2009, 06:02 PM
haha my boy colt sounds a bit upset about going in the 6th round:

"I never watch that stuff," Brennan said. "I fell asleep last year. I don't have a lot of respect for the NFL draft, to be honest with you, because of my experience. I think what's more important is what happens after the draft. That's what I care about. I just don't have a lot of respect for the NFL draft process. Obviously something's not right, because they make a lot of mistakes, year-in and year-out."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/colt_brennan_doesnt_respect_th.html

D-Unit
04-21-2009, 06:15 PM
haha my boy colt sounds a bit upset about going in the 6th round:

"I never watch that stuff," Brennan said. "I fell asleep last year. I don't have a lot of respect for the NFL draft, to be honest with you, because of my experience. I think what's more important is what happens after the draft. That's what I care about. I just don't have a lot of respect for the NFL draft process. Obviously something's not right, because they make a lot of mistakes, year-in and year-out."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/colt_brennan_doesnt_respect_th.html
Word up. At least nobody can tell him he's wrong about that.

When you can't even guarantee that the first player taken will be good, something is terribly bonkers about it.

DiG
04-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Nice to see some Orakpo info!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/20/AR2009042003205.html

"The visit with Washington went really well," Orakpo said. "I got a chance to meet Mr. Snyder and [executive vice president] Vinny Cerrato and Coach [Jim] Zorn and the rest of coaching staff. We had a nice dinner, and I know Mr. Snyder likes to take care of his players, and we had a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant, a good steakhouse, and it was a good chance for them to get to know you better and have a little fun.

"But then it got very in-depth as soon as the actual visit on site the next day. I watched film and talked to [linebackers] coach K.O. [Kirk Olivadotti], and what they see in me doing is some linebacker and also some D-end, and trying to use my versatility to my advantage."

treyskins
04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
So the original redskin plan A was for jason Taylor play strongside Linebacker.
With ancients Daniels and Wynn at D.E.
Then it became middle-backer Blades(undersized) and D.E. Wilson for that strongside spot.

Now they want to look at Orakpo at L.B. on early downs?
Should have no trouble covering the likes of Witten and Westbrook.
With Jansen pencilled in a right tackle, i dont feel the skins are paying attention to detail.
Plug In and Play.................then Pray more like!

critesy
04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
im making a guarantee we stay at 13.

something is telling me this is all too much and is just bs.

DiG
04-22-2009, 05:39 PM
im making a guarantee we stay at 13.

something is telling me this is all too much and is just bs.

thats what worries me. i dont like what i think will happen at 13 which is why im praying for a trade up or down. i have a bad feeling that orakpo and all 4 top OTs will be off the board which leaves a good chance we will screw up and take someone like maybin, everette, or cushing (big reach at 13 imo). i wouldnt be upset if we took ayers although id rather trade down and take the chances that he is available later. i really dont like most of the guys i think the skins would take at 13. id be happy if we drafted maualuga or malcolm jenkins even at 13 but i am afraid we wont.

toddmlazarchick
04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Trade back and take Larry English please :)

critesy
04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
well i guess i should say if anything we will trade back again. but i doubt we move up cause we are already are missing picks from next year.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-23-2009, 06:58 AM
well i guess i should say if anything we will trade back again. but i doubt we move up cause we are already are missing picks from next year.

Only way I would want to move up is for Orakpo, Curry, or Monroe. As far as tradebacks the Jets at 17 may be interested to lock up Josh Freeman. Trading back to 17 basically gives us all the same options at 13. I still don't like what we will probably get but at least we would have picked up an extra draft pick.

2 Live Crew
04-23-2009, 02:34 PM
On NFL.com, they did a mock with all the different writers for each team "making the pick".

Frank Hanrahan made the pick for the skins - Rey M. He said that team officials "are salivating at his 40 time" and they said he fits their LB needs.

Well if we pick him I hope its not because of his 40 time although it wouldn't surprise me with this group.

I can actually see Snyder making this pick. Big School - Big name - MLB is about as sexy a pick as you can make on D.

DiG
04-23-2009, 03:56 PM
On NFL.com, they did a mock with all the different writers for each team "making the pick".

Frank Hanrahan made the pick for the skins - Rey M. He said that team officials "are salivating at his 40 time" and they said he fits their LB needs.

Well if we pick him I hope its not because of his 40 time although it wouldn't surprise me with this group.

I can actually see Snyder making this pick. Big School - Big name - MLB is about as sexy a pick as you can make on D.

i dont care what it takes for the FO to fall in love with Rey. Whatever it takes just make the pick if the OTs are gone!

DiG
04-24-2009, 10:19 PM
“We’re not going to be trading next year’s one,” Snyder said. “We’ve already said that several times."

-best news ive heard all offseason.

2 Live Crew
04-25-2009, 09:30 AM
“We’re not going to be trading next year’s one,” Snyder said. “We’ve already said that several times."

-best news ive heard all offseason.

Taking credit for things you should be doing.

"Man I take care of my kids! I ain't never been to jail!"

DiG
04-25-2009, 03:48 PM
ok stuck with campbell....

703SKINS202
04-25-2009, 03:49 PM
ok stuck with campbell....

yea now what the hell do we do i was 100% sure we were gonna get sanchez and i think snyder was too

skinzzfan25
04-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Monroe and Orakpo fallinnnnnnnnn

703SKINS202
04-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I bet we take Orakpo, hopefully he doesnt go to the bills at 11

HChu
04-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Come on Michael Oher!

DiG
04-25-2009, 04:36 PM
omg im soo happy right now. sooo happy. wow.

HChu
04-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Woo! Hooray for a smart draft pick! Orakpo will be great with Carter and Fat Albert. This pass rush is looking great, let's just hope Orakpo doesn't continue his string of injuries.

2 Live Crew
04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
ORAKPO!!!!!

Thanks for the gift teams 1-12!

Made it easy on Vinny. You see how fast we made our pick...LOL

DiG
04-25-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Rice+v+Texas+-rTDGiN1LeSl.jpg

Canadian_draft_fan
04-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Well, there goes the "Skins don't draft DEs in the first round" axiom.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
It doesn't matter if we draft Sean Glennon with our 3rd round pick, my draft is made with getting Orakpo. I wanted to trade up to 5 or even 3 to get him.

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure if it was sheer luck, but the Skins did a great job in getting Orakpo. I expect him to develop into an absolute monster as a RE very shortly in his career. One of my biggest steals of the first day...

2 Live Crew
04-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Orakpo....biggest steal in the 1st round?

HChu
04-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Orakpo....biggest steal in the 1st round?

This or Oher to Baltimore.

D-Unit
04-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Orakpo is a fricken stud. Great Day 1 for you guys.

treyskins
04-26-2009, 03:48 AM
Funniest thing is vinny wanted to trade UP to get him and other teams said no,even denver!!

Saved from ourselves,thankyou bills and broncos.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Yeah Denver was so dumb IMO. They could have easily had Orakpo at 12 and Moreno at 18.

D-Unit
04-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I knew Denver didn't want Orakpo. McDaniels said Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder had been notified that they will switch to OLBs.

I don't think Moreno would've been there at 18 though it is possible.

DiG
04-26-2009, 09:56 AM
A couple good OTs available coming up like Meredith, Loadholt, Kroprog. Some corners I really like Mickens, Barnes, Macho and also some LBers. I'd love Freeman.

skinzzfan25
04-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Wow, quick pick right here.

I love Barnes as a player and I've watched him a ton but we NEED the OL help more than another DB.

DiG
04-26-2009, 10:06 AM
whohooooooooo barnes. thats awesome. id argue depth at corner is just as big a need as oline at this point. smoot was on and off last year and for me fits best in the dime and other than dhall and rogers we have no one.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0410/ncf_u_barnes_576.jpg

703SKINS202
04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
What's he like?

703SKINS202
04-26-2009, 10:27 AM
a big hitter lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i26DRXC37fs&NR=1 god dang we got some people to lay wood out there

BaLLiN
04-26-2009, 01:37 PM
please dont take duke robinson

Canadian_draft_fan
04-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm telling you if Scott gives the Skins better than a c grade for this draft I'm going to ask for a drug test.

703SKINS202
04-26-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm telling you if Scott gives the Skins better than a c grade for this draft I'm going to ask for a drug test.

Doubt it. I mean the Orakpo pick was awesome, A+, but it was a NO-BRAINER, even for the likes of Snyderatto. Confused about Cody Glenn...Anyone got some insight on him?

Canadian_draft_fan
04-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Doubt it. I mean the Orakpo pick was awesome, A+, but it was a NO-BRAINER, even for the likes of Snyderatto. Confused about Cody Glenn...Anyone got some insight on him?
Not much and the same thing for the ILB they drafted from TCU (Henson). Basically 2 UDFAs that we wasted picks on. Just horrible.

703SKINS202
04-26-2009, 03:49 PM
lol look at this:

really? buges better have his guys ready this Fall cause depth is a major issue.

Posted by: elfreako | April 26, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Why???

Posted by: DemBakerBoyz | April 26, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

sigh i can't see the positives in day two of the draft anymore

Posted by: lowtharofthehill | April 26, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

why?

Posted by: Salinas1 | April 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

RIP JC

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | April 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

SeanTaylorRIP
04-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Lol apparently Mike Williams will fulfill his draft spot, that's the only reasoning I can make for taking horrible LB's over Jason Watkins and a few other guys. Even the guy Scott gave us in the 3rd round of his mock Cadogan.

DiG
04-26-2009, 04:02 PM
some of you guys are really overreacting. just because these arent guys that were talked about on internet message boards doesnt make them bad picks. at linebacker weve got mcintosh (who i love), fletcher (also love but but hell be 34 this year), and hb blades (playing out of position at strong side). beyond that theres zero depth. finchers a decent special teams player but not worth much otherwise. from what ive read on cody glenn he's a pretty intriguing prospect. not overly experienced but has some good serious athleticism and winning attitude. its the 5th round for god sake. everyones got some question marks at this point. obviously theres a reason that NO ONE is taking some of the olineman that people thought would go higher and dont tell me you expect a 5th round OT to come in and provide anything worthwhile in his first few years...

we come away with one of the biggest steals in the draft with orakpo, a starting quality corner in the third, some much needed depth at linebacker in the 5th, and ALL of our 2010 draft picks. Sounds like a great draft to me. I'm quite pleased.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-26-2009, 04:15 PM
some of you guys are really overreacting. just because these arent guys that were talked about on internet message boards doesnt make them bad picks. at linebacker weve got mcintosh (who i love), fletcher (also love but but hell be 34 this year), and hb blades (playing out of position at strong side). beyond that theres zero depth. finchers a decent special teams player but not worth much otherwise. from what ive read on cody glenn he's a pretty intriguing prospect. not overly experienced but has some good serious athleticism and winning attitude. its the 5th round for god sake. everyones got some question marks at this point. obviously theres a reason that NO ONE is taking some of the olineman that people thought would go higher and dont tell me you expect a 5th round OT to come in and provide anything worthwhile in his first few years...

we come away with one of the biggest steals in the draft with orakpo, a starting quality corner in the third, some much needed depth at linebacker in the 5th, and ALL of our 2010 draft picks. Sounds like a great draft to me. I'm quite pleased.

I don't have a problem with the guys but we always tend to kill a position. Focus on one position and kill it when only 1 or 2 will make the roster. We have an aging O-line and didn't address it. We are taking a guy who has only been playing linebacker for one year and only has 50 career tackles over right tackles who could compete year one like Fenuki, Jamon Meredith, Duke Robinson, Jason Watkins, etc. We passed up on a proven OLB like Marcus Freeman in the 5th round.

Canadian_draft_fan
04-26-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't have a problem with the guys but we always tend to kill a position. Focus on one position and kill it when only 1 or 2 will make the roster. We have an aging O-line and didn't address it. We are taking a guy who has only been playing linebacker for one year and only has 50 career tackles over right tackles who could compete year one like Fenuki, Jamon Meredith, Duke Robinson, Jason Watkins, etc. We passed up on a proven OLB like Marcus Freeman in the 5th round.
Exactly, those prospect LBs could be drafted in the 7th round. Passing on OTs with some potential is just ridiculous. The Skins have a much different view of player value than most of us, IMO.

DiG
04-26-2009, 04:24 PM

We've done pretty well in the late rounds the last few years so I trust that we saw something in these guys. Like I said we are talking bout the 5th round and we still have 2 picks to address more depth. I don't think a guy in the 5th or later gives us that much more starting potential than Heyer. If we get a decent body or two in the next few picks for the oline than great but I think we hit a home run with our first and third rounders in terms of guys that can be legit starters and make an impact and I love that we have all of our picks next year still. i still love the dockery signing for us and im hoping rinehart is able to give us some great depth at both guard and tackle.

Exactly, those prospect LBs could be drafted in the 7th round. Passing on OTs with some potential is just ridiculous. The Skins have a much different view of player value than most of us, IMO.

all it takes is ONE team. taking a slight reach in the late rounds isnt a bad thing. in the early rounds its a different story. im not willing to judge these guys yet. its a definite need position and thats important.

HokiesSkins2621
04-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Wow, forgot about the teams thread. Late to the party haha. I love the Orakpo and like the Barnes pick. I just can't understand passing up those tackles though. We need to get Jason some more protection.

Eddie Williams/TE...Seriously?

Canadian_draft_fan
04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
We've done pretty well in the late rounds the last few years so I trust that we saw something in these guys. Like I said we are talking bout the 5th round and we still have 2 picks to address more depth. I don't think a guy in the 5th or later gives us that much more starting potential than Heyer. If we get a decent body or two in the next few picks for the oline than great but I think we hit a home run with our first and third rounders in terms of guys that can be legit starters and make an impact and I love that we have all of our picks next year still. i still love the dockery signing for us and im hoping rinehart is able to give us some great depth at both guard and tackle.

all it takes is ONE team. taking a slight reach in the late rounds isnt a bad thing. in the early rounds its a different story. im not willing to judge these guys yet. its a definite need position and thats important.
I'm sorry D30 but I can't see getting better than a D grade on this draft. We didn't address the Oline which as our biggest need, IMO. OLB was addressed with a bunch of UDFA quality players. I hope 3 years down the road I'm proven wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Never mind my bashing of the draft. We just took Marko aka Ocho Cinco pt.2. A++++ for the draft. Marko is a great vertical threat. Hope he makes the roster. With the LB's though our track record with mid round linebackers is not great so I don't expect any of the guys to make the roster. Just look at our recent mid-late round linebacker picks, Spencer Havner, Dallas Sartz, Kevin Simon, Robert McCune, Jared Newberry. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2 guys we got join that list of names. Still I think Orakpo, KB, and Marko make this 3 good players when we only started off with a few picks. Very solid draft.

skinzzfan25
04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Never mind my bashing of the draft. We just took Marko aka Ocho Cinco pt.2. A++++ for the draft. Marko is a great vertical threat. Hope he makes the roster. With the LB's though our track record with mid round linebackers is not great so I don't expect any of the guys to make the roster. Just look at our recent mid-late round linebacker picks, Spencer Havner, Dallas Sartz, Kevin Simon, Robert McCune, Jared Newberry. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2 guys we got join that list of names. Still I think Orakpo, KB, and Marko make this 3 good players when we only started off with a few picks. Very solid draft.

I agree with all of this. Marko intrigues me a lot and I hope he can develop into something great.

I would also like to thank Denver and Buffalo for handing us Orakpo. It is very appreciated.

I do however think we didn't need to take Barnes in the 3rd and would have been better off with one of the leading OL prospects. With all this recent beef being added to the DL it should only make our secondary shine (baring they catch the ball).

DiG
04-26-2009, 06:59 PM
your freaking crazy to not give this draft a minimum of a B grade based souly on the first two picks. the late rounds are a crap shoot. you get lucky with a couple great but you cant count on those guys being starters. we were really fortunate with horton, monte, gholston, and blades already the last few years. for me the first 3 rounds are 80% of my grade for a team because in all likelihood those are the guys that are going to impact your lineup. sure we didnt address the oline but with 2 picks in the first 4 rounds you can't address every need. you take the best player that is available at need positions which we did. id much rather have barnes in the third than any OT we would have reached on. and beyond the 5th rd i dont think anyone would be any better of a prospect than heyer which is why im fine with taking guys that our FO were high on based on our past late round successes. the fact that we finally nailed some of our early picks is awesome. and the fact that we came away with ALL of our 2010 draft picks. i dont understand the te pick much but love the marko pick. at the end of the day id still give the Skins a B to B+ grade.

i would have loved a starting rt as much as anyone but i dont think anyone out side of the top 4 ots or maybe britton would have given us an upgrade and id take orakpo anyday. finally we have a potential stud de.

703SKINS202
04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
your freaking crazy to not give this draft a minimum of a B grade based souly on the first two picks. the late rounds are a crap shoot. you get lucky with a couple great but you cant count on those guys being starters. we were really fortunate with horton, monte, gholston, and blades already the last few years. for me the first 3 rounds are 80% of my grade for a team because in all likelihood those are the guys that are going to impact your lineup. sure we didnt address the oline but with 2 picks in the first 4 rounds you can't address every need. you take the best player that is available at need positions which we did. id much rather have barnes in the third than any OT we would have reached on. and beyond the 5th rd i dont think anyone would be any better of a prospect than heyer which is why im fine with taking guys that our FO were high on based on our past late round successes. the fact that we finally nailed some of our early picks is awesome. and the fact that we came away with ALL of our 2010 draft picks. i dont understand the te pick much but love the marko pick. at the end of the day id still give the Skins a B to B+ grade.

i would have loved a starting rt as much as anyone but i dont think anyone out side of the top 4 ots or maybe britton would have given us an upgrade and id take orakpo anyday. finally we have a potential stud de.

Pretty much agree with all of this haha. The pick I really liked was Kevin Barnes. Smoot is aging and diminishing, Rogers contract is almost up, Tryon was the worst pick ever it seems. So to add some depth I like it, good value and a smart pick in a top 3 round something we don't see too often. I will give them no credit for picking Orakpo because every member on this site could have picked that for us. But I will give them credit for not doing anything crazy and keeping all of the 2010 picks!!! When was the last time that happened? But what are the odds we actually still have all those picks by the next draft lol.

Canadian_draft_fan
04-26-2009, 07:09 PM

I see your point but I don't agree. While I am glad we did address a DE need and got decent value with the Barnes pick. However we did nothing to protect Campbell or improve the run game. Our offense will continue to suck. The Oline is older and I can only hope that Rinehart and Heyer step up and play to a decent NFL level. Our only hope to do better than 8-8 is that our defense gets beastly and gives the offense plenty of short fields.
On a side note I hope Dallas cuts Bobby Carpenter and we at least give him a chance at SLB.

DiG
04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
However we did nothing to protect Campbell or improve the run game. Our offense will continue to suck. The Oline is older and I can only hope that Rinehart and Heyer step up and play to a decent NFL level.

We did bring back Dockery and whatever happened in Buf I dont care. He was a good player in Washington and I expect him to be again. No one we drafted other than maybe Oher was going to replace jansen/heyer at RT this year and Id take Rakpo over Oher every day of the week. If heyer/rinehart dont step it up then we know we address oline early next year with one of our MANY PICKS!! But we made the best picks possible IMO in the first and third and I couldnt be happier. Anyone in the 5th or later wouldnt have meant jack to this offense for 3 or so years at best.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
I wish we had money now that LeRoy Hill is now a free agent. The Eddie Williams pick is a head scratcher. He's actually a pretty good player, but he's an H-back. If this were Joe Gibbs era it would make sense but not now with 2 pass catching TE's. If anything an in line blocking TE would make sense. He's similar to Gijon Robinson. Damnit I thought the pick was Edwin Williams which would be a good pick.

703SKINS202
04-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Still the best comment I've seen about the 09 Skins Draft:

RIP JC

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | April 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

This had me rolling forever.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-26-2009, 07:38 PM
We signed Chase Daniel. I would have rather signed Graham Harrell who I think has more WCO potential. Daniel shouldn't even be on the practice squad. He just doesn't have an NFL arm or NFL size.

DiG
04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Damnit I thought the pick was Edwin Williams which would be a good pick.

skins signed edwin williams as udfa :)

critesy
04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
gah so happy... wore my jason campbell jersey for the draft i was so confident :)

LOVE me some orsackpo, and barnes is a beauty. marko mitchell hopefully lights **** up as well.

love love love the draft. cant wait for next years draft with lots of picks <3

SeanTaylorRIP
04-26-2009, 09:09 PM
skins signed edwin williams as udfa :)

Well that's great to hear. Anyways Marko>>>>>>Malcolm. I have been pimping him so long I went wet when I saw his name on the board. Hopefully he's not the next Robert McCune hehe.

DiG
04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
coach zorn on not drafting oline.:

"Well down the way, we've had five picks. Now we tried to move in different places all throughout this draft. Very active on the phones, trying to move around so we can capture one of these guys and it either hasn't worked or when we've had that chance to pick the guy hasn't really been there. We feel really fortunate in the guys that we do have though.

I'm not disappointed that has happened either because we are developing some offensive players. We are developing some of our linemen. We are hoping that Chad Rinehart develops into an outstanding offensive lineman. We just got Derrick Dockery, so there are some new faces that are going to be in that offensive line and we will see how they develop as well."

sounds about right to me.

Canadian_draft_fan
04-26-2009, 09:47 PM
coach zorn on not drafting oline.:

"Well down the way, we've had five picks. Now we tried to move in different places all throughout this draft. Very active on the phones, trying to move around so we can capture one of these guys and it either hasn't worked or when we've had that chance to pick the guy hasn't really been there. We feel really fortunate in the guys that we do have though.

I'm not disappointed that has happened either because we are developing some offensive players. We are developing some of our linemen. We are hoping that Chad Rinehart develops into an outstanding offensive lineman. We just got Derrick Dockery, so there are some new faces that are going to be in that offensive line and we will see how they develop as well."

sounds about right to me.
Dock is a definite improvement over Kendall and i hope Rinehart can win the starting RG job as well. We really needed a RT and I would have liked to have gotten Eben Britton in a trade down but Orakpo fills need. I'm hoping Heyer can step up and be a decent RT becuase jansen is done. I like getting Edwin Williams as a UDFA and think he can be the backup center.

DiG
04-26-2009, 10:12 PM
3 more udfas signed. total so far:

QB Chase Daniel (Missouri)
OT Scott Burley (Maryland)
DE Derek Walker (Illinois)
WR Josh Briscoe (Tennessee)
C Edwin Wiliams (Maryland)
WR Jaison Williams (Oregon)

703SKINS202
04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
I like bringing in those WR's. We really need to stir up competition in the off season and get Kelly and Thomas off their asses. Marko looks like a guy who can be groomed into a nice WR as well.

critesy
04-26-2009, 10:27 PM
haha jaison williams!

lets hope he suddenly realizes his potential and tears it up.

JRTPlaya21
04-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I love how I come out on my facebook page about Macho going to Philly, and I get crap from an Eagles fan about how the division is theirs this year again.

703SKINS202
04-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Does anyone else feel like we need some speed at RB? I'm just looking over our roster and we don't really have anyone with breakaway speed. Portis' running style has evolved since he has come here and although hes still got some speed he is more of a power runner, rather than the speedster he was early in his career. He seems to stumble a lot when he used to break off longer runs when his feet were quicker I guess. Betts and Cartwright both have no breakaway or top end speed.

I think in the 2010 draft we need to adress this and draft a quick guy if he falls to us with good value. Maybe a guy like Noel Devine(homer) in the 2nd or 3rd depending on where he goes or something like that. Devine is tiny but he could be a dynamic returner because **** Randle El. I'm not really up on the rb class that year are there any guys worth taking in rounds 2-4 for the reasons I stated? Or do you even think we need a RB or am I crazy?

JRTPlaya21
04-26-2009, 11:01 PM
For some reason I want a lineman or Brandon Spikes with our 1st rounder if that's the way the cards fall. A change of pace back will help because it's a deep draft.

2 Live Crew
04-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Edwin Williams from UMD is a good pickup...Solid Center

critesy
04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
dominque dorsey and anthony aldridge are 2 speedy scat backs we picked up this offseason. hopefully they show some things to give this offense a burst

bafball21
04-30-2009, 08:09 PM
the skins are messing up...we got orakpo which will prolly be a monster but our defense was top 5 last year so is it really needed to improve the d without the d we would prolly have less then 5 wins... our offense was 29th in scoring and we dont draft an offensive player untill the 6th round and we go with a te so guess that means giving up on fred davis to ever develop and a wr in the 7th thought we drafted two pretty good wrs last years draft givin up on them to im tired of the redskins having horrible drafts thats the main reason we dont win

SeanTaylorRIP
04-30-2009, 08:20 PM
dominque dorsey and anthony aldridge are 2 speedy scat backs we picked up this offseason. hopefully they show some things to give this offense a burst

Marcus Mason is back on board.

the skins are messing up...we got orakpo which will prolly be a monster but our defense was top 5 last year so is it really needed to improve the d without the d we would prolly have less then 5 wins... our offense was 29th in scoring and we dont draft an offensive player untill the 6th round and we go with a te so guess that means giving up on fred davis to ever develop and a wr in the 7th thought we drafted two pretty good wrs last years draft givin up on them to im tired of the redskins having horrible drafts thats the main reason we dont win

This post makes zero sense. We had hardly any picks. You think that drafting Oher over Orakpo would have made our offense more explosive??? The fact is while we do need youth for the future on our line, the offensive success is predicate on the young receivers developing and Jason making strides. Did you want us to draft a skill position??? Also how in the world can you say that drafting Eddie Williams means that we are giving up on Fred Davis. That's ludicrous. Williams was a late 7th round draft pick. At that point you are going for BPA. Our scouting had him as a potential 3rd rounder before his injury. Also he projects to play more of a FB role for us. A receiving full back on 3rd down. Also how can you be against improving our defense. This team is going to rely on our defense carrying us. As the Ravens have shown for the past 10 years, a great defense can carry a team far even with an inept offense. Our offense actually has playmakers on it. The fact is we got zero pass rush last year and without pass rush guys like Deangelo Hall and Landry are useless as no DB can stay on a man for 10+ seconds. I thought the draft was great and while I disagree with some of the late round picks, it's not like if those 6th and 7th rounders are offense all of a sudden our offense is explosive. A final LOL at us giving up on Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly because we drafted Marko Mitchell. He's a friggin compensation 7th round pick!!! He might not even make the roster. Furthermore if he is better than Malcolm Kelly than I don't care cut his ass even if he's a 2nd rounder. If you put no pressure on these guys we will be left in the same situation as last year, 2 deep at WR.

bafball21
05-01-2009, 03:35 PM
i understand the ravens d comparision but i think our d has always been decent i would rather have spent the the 3rd round pick on a ol instead of barnes i think our db our prolly best in the league wen horton matures we have pretty solid back ups think we should have gone after the bigger needs...look at david carr and patrick ramsey qbs with skills that never devolped because they were gettin pressured and lost all confidence i think this is cambell last year if he doesnt win he will have no confidence and we should prolly start lookin to get a qb in 2010 draft no dissin on the skins im a fan for life but im just questionin the moves

holt_bruce81
05-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Seems like Zorn really likes Chase Daniel. I'm wishing him well and hope he makes the team!

DiG
05-03-2009, 09:14 AM
i think our db our prolly best in the league wen horton matures we have pretty solid back ups think we should have gone after the bigger needs...

lemme get some of what your smoking...at safety, yes, i love horton/landry. at cb we have two fantastic young starters in hall and rogers but after that only tryon and smoot?! tryon is terrible and barely made the team last year and smoots decent but not on his way up. barnes was great value and at a position that we definitely needed to add depth for nickle/dime packages. after our pick in the third there was only one OT taken through the rest of the third and fourth round...barnes was easily the better option. no question in my mind id take barnes over the available oline at the time.