PDA

View Full Version : Giants Sign Chris Canty

Number 10
03-01-2009, 04:09 PM
6 years - $42 million - $17.5 guaranteed

A bit of a surprise to me considering we just signed Rocky Bernard as well. What a rotation the Giants have including 2 guys in Tuck and Canty that can rotate inside-out.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Wtf? Why did they pay that much money for Canty when they have Tuck, Umenyiora and Kiwanuka??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Number 10
03-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm assuming it has something to do with the knee injuries to both Robbins and Cofield.

Plus the depth and versatility in the trenches was what made the Giants defense top notch during the Super Bowl run. Another move could be on the way (Kiwanuka trade to Cleveland?)

bearsfan_51
Packers fail.

I KNOW IT ALL
Odd signing. A lot of money for a guy who is a luxury for the Giants.

Kase1
03-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Link please?? Ive been searching all over

Grizzlegom
03-01-2009, 04:15 PM
really didn't see this one coming. He will will DT for them however and is expensive insurance for Robbins.

this has got to hurt packers fans that were hoping to bring in an above average 3-4 DE. they should go after Mike Wright now.

GET LOOSE
03-01-2009, 04:16 PM
To much money for a guy who is not a need at all for the Giants.

Crickett
03-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm assuming it has something to do with the knee injuries to both Robbins and Cofield.

Plus the depth and versatility in the trenches was what made the Giants defense top notch during the Super Bowl run. Another move could be on the way (Kiwanuka trade to Cleveland?)

42 million dollars is a lot to pay for versatility when a returning Umenyiora and Kiwanuka staying at DE kinda gives you that versatility already. Also, I cant find the link for it either.

Number 10
03-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I think the numbers are confuding a few of you.

Albert Haynesworth's contract will likely end up being in the vicinity of 5 years - $65 million and Canty's contract will likely end up being in the vicinity of 5 years - $28 million when you consider restructures and cuts.

Number 10
03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/03/new_york_giants_agree_to_terms.html#more

Here is the link

holt_bruce81
03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Got to love that D-Line....even if it is a bit to much cash.

Vox Populi
03-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Championship sans injury? Plaxico or not, the rest of the NFC East should invest in the offensive line in the draft lol.

PACKmanN
03-01-2009, 04:28 PM
wow, out of all the guys they could have gotten...like i said, I hope Tuck, Osi, and Kiwi hold out. Also some of the younger DTs.

eazyb81
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Weird signing for NY, I thought for sure a 3-4 team would sign Canty.

TACKLE
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
I believe that Canty will play DT for the Giants. The Giants love DT's who can get after the QB. Canty is a freak is who also strong against the run. I have a feeling that he will be on the field a lot for the Giants next season.

TitanHope
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
NFC East Arms Race!!!

*grabs popcorn*

Crickett
03-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I believe that Canty will play DT for the Giants. The Giants love DT's who can get after the QB. Canty is a freak is who also strong against the run. I have a feeling that he will be on the field a lot for the Giants next season.

The Giants love DT's who can get after the QB, but come on. Their three defensive tackles (Robbins, Cofield and Alford) combined for 11 sacks and added Rocky Bernard who had an additional 4 and a forced fumble in Seattle.

MidwayMonster31
He play inside for the Giants. If he plays under tackle and holds the ground against the run, that will make the Giants defense tough. This also makes the Cowboys weaker. The Cowboys defensive line played pretty well last year, now losing Canty really hurts their defense.

Brent
He's going to be a nice DT on that line.

DI
03-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Love the signing. What a friggin d-line rotation now.. kiwi, osi, tuck and canty on the field at the same time for passing downs is just ridiculous

BaLLiN
03-01-2009, 04:37 PM
wow, out of all the guys they could have gotten...like i said, I hope Tuck, Osi, and Kiwi hold out. Also some of the younger DTs.

well Tuck and Osi have longterm deals.. i hope we keep Kiwi whether its at DE or SAM. Alford wont hold out because he's a jersey kid and likes to stay near his family, we basically took a big reach in picking him in the third round because he wanted to play for us

Mr. Hero
03-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm just hoping we don't trade kiwi because of this, at least not this season since i think he's going to explode getting to prepare for DE throughout the offseason.

Strongside
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
That is a disgusting D-line.

PACKmanN
03-01-2009, 04:51 PM
well Tuck and Osi have longterm deals.. i hope we keep Kiwi whether its at DE or SAM. Alford wont hold out because he's a jersey kid and likes to stay near his family, we basically took a big reach in picking him in the third round because he wanted to play for us

lol there is no way Canty is worth more then Osi or Tuck. It doesn't matter how long their deals are, you can always add 1-2 years to their contract and more money.

Rjspartan
03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
can a giant fan please tell me what the front seven will look like

Malaka
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
DE Tuck

DT Canty

DT Robbins

DE Umenyiora

On passing downs, and blitzes Tuck moves inside Kiwi plays DE, Robbins stays at DT

This is a guess, and there of course will be rotations...

Giantsfan1080
03-01-2009, 04:56 PM
can a giant fan please tell me what the front seven will look like

I don't think we really know yet since we now have a ton of guys on the ine. My guess is Osi, Canty, Robbins, Tuck on the line. Boley, Pierce, and Kehl at the LB spots.

Malaka
03-01-2009, 04:57 PM
No I believe our LBs unless Kehl really impresses in TC are going to be.

SAM Danny Clark
MIKE Pierce
WILL Michael Boley

Rjspartan
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
what about bernard?

Giantsfan1080
03-01-2009, 05:02 PM
what about bernard?

He's going to be on the bench now it looks like. We're going to be rotation these guys in and out like crazy I think.

LTgiants
what about bernard?

he will rotate in he wasn't signed to be a starter

Malaka
He'll be a rotational guy probably used the same way Jay Alford was, and Cofield and Alford too will rotate in... Robbins is quite injury prone. This is why it is confusing as their is a cluster **** of DLs...

Number 10
03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to what our starting lineup is going to be all about.

It is going to be all about rotations and exploitng the matchup problems our guys present.

Kase1
03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/03/new_york_giants_agree_to_terms.html#more

Here is the link

AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks for the link, I was going nuts

Rjspartan
03-01-2009, 05:08 PM
the panthers need some DL help but we cant sign anyone because the NFC EAST is taking them all

ATLDirtyBirds
03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Another good move by the Giants. Ugh.

LTgiants
03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
the panthers need some DL help but we cant sign anyone because the NFC EAST is taking them all

you can trade for Fred Robbins since it looks like if we get rid of someone he might be the one

Crickett
03-01-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks for Kris Jenkins btw.

Mr. Hero
03-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Tuck-Cofield-Robbens-Osi
Canty-Bernard-Alford-Kiwi

jesus we have two lines that could make the playoffs, I think we've finally got enough depth to withstand an injury to our DLine and not need to play out of our minds to overcome it. Add to that the best secondary we've had this millennium and there's a lot to be excited about for giants fans. Just hope Kehl or Goff can win the SLB spot opposite Boley.

Geo
03-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Giants should go to a 5-2-4 defense.

Boley is the only linebacker they have that actually merits being on the field, compared to their depth of defensive linemen. Plus Kiwanuka could drop back in coverage at times.

Number 10
The 2nd string line is probably better than at least 5 teams in the league, on par with 5 others.

Crazy.

Vox Populi
Why is Boley playing WLB? Was he not playing SLB his entire time in Atlanta and being praised as one of the best at the position on these boards before this past season?

TitleTown088
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Packers fail.
Go blow 4 mil on um... whats his name again...? Jk

I think Canty wanted to stay in NY, while the packers FO *****-footed a bit I don't think there was much they could have done to change his mind.

F you Giants.

The Packers are such a boring team to like in the off season with Favre gone.

Kase1
03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
you can trade for Fred Robbins since it looks like if we get rid of someone he might be the one

We COULD trade him, but IO he wouldnt get much value. Even though he's put up a hefty 5.5 sacks every season since the birth of Christ, he's on the down side of 30. IMO we should just keep him happy and use him sparringly

BlindSite
03-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Yeah Peppers is really handcuffing the team. Because he's tagged we can't sign anyone. So we get to watch the DE's and DT's go bye bye.

Terrell Suggs might be a possibility in a trade, who knows if he'd fit though. GAH this is frustrating. The one position the Panthers need to upgrade we can't.

All the while we get to watch the bloody rich get richer.

D-Unit
03-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Way too much money. Canty is a decent player, but he didn't fulfill his potential in Dallas. Pretty much had a very promising rookie season and then plateaued. He did get a lot bigger though. He's in the prime of his career, but if he's to earn that money, the Giants will have to continue to develop him. I don't think he's a finished product, so the Giants should try to get that out him.

Kase1
03-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Go blow 4 mil on um... whats his name again...? Jk

I think Canty wanted to stay in NY, while the packers FO *****-footed a bit I don't think there was much they could have done to change his mind.

F you Giants.

The Packers are such a boring team to like in the off season with Favre gone.

Sorry, but Canty wasnt leaving NY w/o a contract, he's a Bronx born NFLer, who most likely grew up rooting for Big Blue (he's in his mid 20's so would be of age for the Parcells and LT days) And he purposely scheduled NYG as his 1st stop (hoping that it'd be the ONLY stop)

BaLLiN
03-01-2009, 05:35 PM
RE: Osi, Kiwi, Tollefson, Henderson
DT: Fred Robbins (probably released), Canty, Alford
NT: Coefield, Bernard
LE: Tuck, Kiwi, Tollefson, henderson

SLB: Blackburn, Kehl, DeOssie
MLB: Pierce, Goff, DeOssie
WLB: Boley, Wilkinson, Kehl

Primetime21
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
So where is Gerris Wilkinson the LB out of Georgia Tech and whats his role? It seems their are all sorts of studs buried on the Giants depth chart.

Rocky will be great for you guys when he isnt hurt and I love the Canty signing. Him and Tuck as DT in passing situations is going to be so fun to watch.

Kase1
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Gotta say, this is THE most exciting off-season I thnk we've EVER had

J-Reese is Mr. Diamond-In-The-Rough

Malaka
03-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Didn't we cut Henderson from PS?

Malaka
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
So where is Gerris Wilkinson the LB out of Georgia Tech and whats his role? It seems their are all sorts of studs buried on the Giants depth chart.

Rocky will be great for you guys when he isnt hurt and I love the Canty signing. Him and Tuck as DT in passing situations is going to be so fun to watch.

I love Wilkinson he is very athletic and great in coverage but made out of paper, and through 3 games he had 2 tackles and lost his job to rookie Bryan Kehl. He will is a good back-up not starting material.

TitleTown088
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Sorry, but Canty wasnt leaving NY w/o a contract, he's a Bronx born NFLer, who most likely grew up rooting for Big Blue (he's in his mid 20's so would be of age for the Parcells and LT days) And he purposely scheduled NYG as his 1st stop (hoping that it'd be the ONLY stop) Which is esentially what I indicated it my post.

BaLLiN
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Didn't we cut Henderson from PS?

idts hes on NFL.com and giants.com's website rosters for giants. and Craig Dahl is back :) yay

Rjspartan
03-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah Peppers is really handcuffing the team. Because he's tagged we can't sign anyone. So we get to watch the DE's and DT's go bye bye.

Terrell Suggs might be a possibility in a trade, who knows if he'd fit though. GAH this is frustrating. The one position the Panthers need to upgrade we can't.

All the while we get to watch the bloody rich get richer.
every free agency is disappionting for a panther fan isn't, when was the last time we got a big name on the team, all we do is get average or below average players to fill our needs. but on the flip side we dont really need free agency when we do so good in the draft, just take a look at our roster, the starters are mostly first or second round draft picks

Sniper
03-01-2009, 05:46 PM
NFC East Arms Race!!!

*grabs popcorn*

Only three teams seem to want to get into this arms race. The other one just twiddles its thumbs and sits on its collective ass.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-01-2009, 05:53 PM
NFC East Arms Race!!!

*grabs popcorn*

It always is! Except we are going back to the rotation that helped us beat the Pats in the superbowl. We had Strahan, Osi, and Tuck moving around. With Osi hurt last year it was Tuck and Kiwi and both started to tire towards the end of the year due to less rotating and hard schedule.

Teams also went to the quick game, 3 step drop and get rid of it. Now we have the luxury of going back to the rotating system.

DEs:

Osi
Tuck
Kiwi
Tollefeson

DTs:

Canty
Robbins
benard
Alford
Cofield

* Sometimes Tuck

Passing, 3rd down situations..

Osi, Canty, Tuck, and Kiwi and we can blitz Boley or Kenny Philips or both

Reese and Kevin Abrams the capologist have done a great job in making the defense solid. Now we will have 9 draft picks plus comp picks, and add even more to the D and perhaps get some toys on offense if need be.

But our GM and franchise knows the game is won in the trenches and so I would never mind if our franchise tosses money to the O and D lines. That's where the game is won.

Brodeur
03-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Only three teams seem to want to get into this arms race. The other one just twiddles its thumbs and sits on its collective ass.

I don't know how Philly can catch up with Dallas trading for Jon Kitna. That's a landmark move right there.

Oh yeah and the over the hill Brooking signing.

Kase1
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Unfortunatley, G-Wilk is considered an outcast by many fans. After seasons of playing a handful of snaps and then getting seriously injured many of us are FED UP

I was one of the biggest G-Wilk supporters, but his time has run out after last season. He has talent and seems like a perfect fit for WLB, but IMO its time 2 move on

Giantsfan1080
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM
It always is! Except we are going back to the rotation that helped us beat the Pats in the superbowl. We had Strahan, Osi, and Tuck moving around. With Osi hurt last year it was Tuck and Kiwi and both started to tire towards the end of the year due to less rotating and hard schedule.

Teams also went to the quick game, 3 step drop and get rid of it. Now we have the luxury of going back to the rotating system.

DEs:

Osi
Tuck
Kiwi
Tollefeson

DTs:

Canty
Robbins
benard
Alford
Cofield

* Sometimes Tuck

Passing, 3rd down situations..

Osi, Canty, Tuck, and Kiwi and we can blitz Boley or Kenny Philips or both

Reese and Kevin Abrams the capologist have done a great job in making the defense solid. Now we will have 9 draft picks plus comp picks, and add even more to the D and perhaps get some toys on offense if need be.

But our GM and franchise knows the game is won in the trenches and so I would never mind if our franchise tosses money to the O and D lines. That's where the game is won.

The Giants arguably have the best O-Line and D-Lines in football now.

OneToughGame
03-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Wow, I was hoping the Seahawks would sign him.. Oh well :\

NY+Giants=NYG
03-01-2009, 06:10 PM
The Giants arguably have the best O-Line and D-Lines in football now.

Yup, and depth! That's the key! You have to have depth in this league, and on the DL we have TONS of it. People think we may release Robbins, but we don't need to. He is getting older, and coming off injuries, but not with the rotation system, he plays less, but his level can stay high because of the rotation system. We basically have the style with our offense to control the clock with the running game, score, and then attack opposing QBs. Meaning they have to control the clock over us, stop the run, and then make plays on offense and not avoid getting killed by pressure. O and they better have depth on their OL, because if a key linemen goes down, it's going to be a looooong afternoon!

Giantsfan1080
03-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Yup, and depth! That's the key! You have to have depth in this league, and on the DL we have TONS of it. People think we may release Robbins, but we don't need to. He is getting older, and coming off injuries, but not with the rotation system, he plays less, but his level can stay high because of the rotation system. We basically have the style with our offense to control the clock with the running game, score, and then attack opposing QBs. Meaning they have to control the clock over us, stop the run, and then make plays on offense and not avoid getting killed by pressure. O and they better have depth on their OL, because if a key linemen goes down, it's going to be a looooong afternoon!

I think we are going to keep Robbins as well. We just need some more depth on the O-Line and we are set. Wr, OL, and S are going to be the 3 areas we address early I think.

Number 10
03-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Robbins isn't going anywhere.

He was playing at a higher level than anyone on our defense for at least 6 games last year. A rotation inside and out will really help him.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-01-2009, 06:15 PM
I think we are going to keep Robbins as well. We just need some more depth on the O-Line and we are set. Wr, OL, and S are going to be the 3 areas we address early I think.

We have 9 draft picks and that's not counting comp picks. This gives us all the flexibility in the world to trade up or down, and do what we need to.

Giantsfan1080
03-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Robbins isn't going anywhere.

He was playing at a higher level than anyone on our defense for at least 6 games last year. A rotation inside and out will really help him.

I agree. I basically just said the exact same thing in the Giants thread.

BaLLiN
03-01-2009, 06:19 PM
We have 9 draft picks and that's not counting comp picks. This gives us all the flexibility in the world to trade up or down, and do what we need to.

we really only need to use maybe 4 of 11 possible picks,

WR, RT, LG, S, and then the luxury picks would be RB, K/P, TE, possibly C

but we should stop ranting about the giants, too much giant love on this forum, its throwing everything overboard

Burns336
03-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Sorry, but Canty wasnt leaving NY w/o a contract, he's a Bronx born NFLer, who most likely grew up rooting for Big Blue (he's in his mid 20's so would be of age for the Parcells and LT days) And he purposely scheduled NYG as his 1st stop (hoping that it'd be the ONLY stop)

Except for the fact that he was on a plane to Washington with a verbal agreement for 18 mil guaranteed until they signed Haynesworth...

But sure, I guess NY was his second pick.

CC.SD
03-01-2009, 06:52 PM
It is really depressing to see all these already good teams bring in quality talent while the 8-8 Chargers spend their time debating whether or not to bring back the greatest player in their history.

Sniper
03-01-2009, 07:08 PM
It is really depressing to see all these already good teams bring in quality talent while the 8-8 Chargers spend their time debating whether or not to bring back the greatest player in their history.

Hey, at least your team didn't let one of their best players of all-time go without even offering a contract.

Mr. Hero
03-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Unfortunatley, G-Wilk is considered an outcast by many fans. After seasons of playing a handful of snaps and then getting seriously injured many of us are FED UP

I was one of the biggest G-Wilk supporters, but his time has run out after last season. He has talent and seems like a perfect fit for WLB, but IMO its time 2 move on

I think Wilk can still contribute as a nickelbacker but at this point he shouldn't even get to be in the competition for the third LB spot next to Pierce and Boley. He helps us because he's a really good athlete and good in coverage for a handful of snaps a game, but any more than that and you're giving too much responsibility to highly injury prone player.

OSUGiants17
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
All I have to say is I<3 Jerry Reese

CC.SD
03-01-2009, 07:19 PM

It's okay, I'm pretty sure the Bolt braintrust's thinking right now goes like this: "Our division is so wretched it doesn't matter what we do, we'll make the playoffs and try to win a few in a row. Yah, cut LT, what, are the Raiders gonna win 9 games? lawlz."

*spit

ATLDirtyBirds
03-01-2009, 07:24 PM

I've got a team who needs a couple of pieces to become a championship contender, but is content on bringing no one in and just flirting with LJ Smith for the last 3 days. And sending out a defense that looks like:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/People/Roster/Depth_Chart.aspx

Impossible not to have some kind of faith in Dimitroff, but goddamn.

Mr. Hero
03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I've got a team who needs a couple of pieces to become a championship contender, but is content on bringing no one in and just flirting with LJ Smith for the last 3 days. And sending out a defense that looks like:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/People/Roster/Depth_Chart.aspx

Impossible not to have some kind of faith in Dimitroff, but goddamn.

You guys made a tremendous turn around but I still think the falcons are building and not really contending. Dimitroff knows that team overachieved last season so he's still looking to fill it out with young talent before he starts being really active in FA, is my outside opinion.

CC.SD
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM
You guys made a tremendous turn around but I still think the falcons are building and not really contending. Dimitroff knows that team overachieved last season so he's still looking to fill it out with young talent before he starts being really active in FA, is my outside opinion.

Yah I remember all too well thinking "The Bolts just need a few pieces to be championship contenders" after the 04 season, but that's not how it works. Dmitroff can't blow his load because of last year, he knows it's a process.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Yah I remember all too well thinking "The Bolts just need a few pieces to be championship contenders" after the 04 season, but that's not how it works. Dmitroff can't blow his load because of last year, he knows it's a process.

I understand that and all, but look at that defense. We had a highly rated offense last year and Matt is going to be in year 2. Everyone is back. But we current have no NT, ROLB, LOLB, SS, #3 corner, LDE. We've got every chance to be just as good with the offense, but we aren't going to do much of anything with that D.

Mr. Hero
03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I understand that and all, but look at that defense. We had a highly rated offense last year and Matt is going to be in year 2. Everyone is back. But we current have no NT, ROLB, LOLB, SS, #3 corner, LDE. We've got every chance to be just as good with the offense, but we aren't going to do much of anything with that D.

Draft + Bargain FAs for competition + more familiarity with the coaching staff should = better performances on defense?

bigbluedefense
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
To be honest, I wasn't the biggest Canty fan. He's a great run stuffer, but thats all he is. He's overrated. I said it when he was with the Cowboys, and Im sticking to my guns on this one.

Great run stuffer, not much of a pass rusher. He'll be great for our dline because we need a stronger presence inside, but is he worth 7 mill a season for a guy who won't get double teams and won't rush the passer?

I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I like the move, but Im not as excited as everyone else is. Im thrilled with Boley, I love that move like you wouldn't believe, but I think we tied up too much money to Bernard and Canty.

We're making too many FA moves for my liking. I was never a big fan of FA. I don't think you win SBs with FA.

Call me one of the few Giant fans that are skeptical about all of this. Im not as excited about it as everyone else is.

Number 10
03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
To be honest, I wasn't the biggest Canty fan. He's a great run stuffer, but thats all he is. He's overrated. I said it when he was with the Cowboys, and Im sticking to my guns on this one.

Great run stuffer, not much of a pass rusher. He'll be great for our dline because we need a stronger presence inside, but is he worth 7 mill a season for a guy who won't get double teams and won't rush the passer?

I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I like the move, but Im not as excited as everyone else is. Im thrilled with Boley, I love that move like you wouldn't believe, but I think we tied up too much money to Bernard and Canty.

We're making too many FA moves for my liking. I was never a big fan of FA. I don't think you win SBs with FA.

Call me one of the few Giant fans that are skeptical about all of this. Im not as excited about it as everyone else is.

Building your team via FA every year is not the right move. But throwing in the occasional plug here and there is necressary.

Kareem McKenzie
Antonio Pierce
Plaxico Burress

Remember that spending spree? We don't have rings without those three.

iowatreat54
03-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Building your team via FA every year is not the right move. But throwing in the occasional plug here and there is necressary.

Kareem McKenzie
Antonio Pierce
Plaxico Burress

Remember that spending spree? We don't have rings without those three.

Giants have won multiple Super Bowls since then? Interesting...

LTgiants
03-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Giants have won multiple Super Bowls since then? Interesting...

he meant the players have won rings not that we won multiple rings

iowatreat54
03-01-2009, 09:30 PM
he meant the players have won rings not that we won multiple rings

Touche. But saying 'we' implies he meant the Giants organization, so that's how I took it.

LTgiants
03-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Touche. But saying 'we' implies he meant the Giants organization, so that's how I took it.

he is a giants fan quoting another giants fan talking about the giants organization about winning the super bowl

like you never used we when talking about the (bears?) idk what team you like

Malaka
03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I am with BBD, I am not too crazy about the Canty signing either, or this spending spree which is quite unlike Jerry Reese, but as always in JR I trust.

iowatreat54
03-01-2009, 09:35 PM
he is a giants fan quoting another giants fan talking about the giants organization about winning the super bowl

I guess. But saying "without them we [Giant's organization] don't have rings (meaning multiple rings from acquiring said players)." When said players only brought the Giants organization 1 ring, although multiple to the various players.

I'm just nitpicking english, so don't mind me.

And I wouldn't say "Without Walter Payton and Mike Singletary we wouldn't have rings." I would say, "Without Sweetness and Samurai Mike, we wouldn't have a ring."

LTgiants
03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
I guess. But saying "without them we [Giant's organization] don't have rings (meaning multiple rings from acquiring said players)." When said players only brought the Giants organization 1 ring, although multiple to the various players.

I'm just nitpicking english, so don't mind me.

if we [the giants organization] dont sign Plax, and Kareem Mckenzie , and Antonio Pierce the giants organization wont have rings.

scottyboy
03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
If I'm grading the signings, I'd give ours:

Boley: A+. hands down, most pumped about this.

Bernard: B. Why? 4 years? If it was 2-3, it'd be probably A- or so. He probably wont' see all that much time.

Canty: B. He's got talent, but too much $$$ invested in him I think. Should probably be at least a B+ as he'll most likely take over for Freddy next year with Cofield and start this year with Freddy but it's a bit too much for my liking

iowatreat54
03-01-2009, 09:40 PM
if we [the giants organization] dont sign Plax, and Kareem Mckenzie , and Antonio Pierce the giants organization wont have rings.

No, see, the term organization constitutes one party. One party does not receive multiple rings for one Super Bowl. They theoretically receive a ring. Now, the different players and personnel obviously each receive a ring, thus constituting multiple rings. However, the organization is singular, meaning it does not receive multiple rings unless multiple championships are won. It's like saying "without them, the Giants won't have Super Bowl victories."

LTgiants
03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
No, see, the term organization constitutes one party. One party does not receive multiple rings for one Super Bowl. They theoretically receive a ring. Now, the different players and personnel obviously each receive a ring, thus constituting multiple rings. However, the organization is singular, meaning it does not receive multiple rings unless multiple championships are won. It's like saying "without them, the Giants won't have Super Bowl victories."

Do not give me your George Carlin routine here. Anyway if the Giants "organization" doesn't sign those 3 players they wont have their ring or rings whichever u prefer.

Forenci
03-01-2009, 09:56 PM

I don't think so.

Glad you said it, BBD. I completely agree. Not sure why every Giants fan thinks this is such an amazing signing. It might be if it was for 15 million dollars less, but I don't really like it.

Solid signing considering the money and certainly our defensive line is much stronger now, but I think it'd be better off spent else where like re-signing Eli, re-negotiating Osi's contract most likely, and maybe signing a free agent WR down the road.

iowatreat54
03-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Do not give me your George Carlin routine here. Anyway if the Giants "organization" doesn't sign those 3 players they wont have their ring or rings whichever u prefer.

Yea I don't disagree with that statement at all.

Giantsfan1080
03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Glad you said it, BBD. I completely agree. Not sure why every Giants fan thinks this is such an amazing signing. It might be if it was for 15 million dollars less, but I don't really like it.

Solid signing considering the money and certainly our defensive line is much stronger now, but I think it'd be better off spent else where like re-signing Eli, re-negotiating Osi's contract most likely, and maybe signing a free agent WR down the road.

Which we could all still do. When we re-sign Eli we'll have even more cap space the next couple of years. Osi isn't going to get a new deal coming off an injury.

Xenos
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM
It's called the second wave of FA man. Teams like the Steeler and the Colts do it all the time.

D-Unit
03-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't know how Philly can catch up with Dallas trading for Jon Kitna. That's a landmark move right there.

Oh yeah and the over the hill Brooking signing.
Not spectacular moves that would make the casual fan excited, that's for sure. But I'm impressed with Jerry this year. He's got a tight wallet on bringing in outside FAs . ...and that's 2 years in a row now... Last season only a small Zach Thomas contract was made.

Jerry gets crucified for making big signings... and he gets crucified for not making big signings... the guy just can't win.

What he's allowing himself to do is have enough space to retain our key FAs. Newman, Barber, Ratliff, Adams last year... Soon we will lock up Ware. There's no way we resign him if we spend frivously in FA.

So these moves by Jerry have been on the downlow, but they have been very sound. Kitna is going to be a much better back up than Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger and he already has a couple years under his belt playing with Roy Williams. There were no affortdable FA QBs that offer what Kitna offers. ...and there are no QBs in the draft that fit the need either. We're not looking for a replacement, just a guy with some fire in his belly who could push/advise/compete with Romo to be a better QB and who could hold the fort down in case of injury. Plus getting rid of Henry's salary is a big plus. Henry has been declining the last 2 years and Safety is easier to address than QB in this year's draft.

Brooking is a wash with Zach Thomas if you ask me, but if he can provide any leadership at all then that's already a plus. Thomas was a sour puss since, playing out of position and not wanting to be a leader. That's why he's gone. Ray Lewis tried his hardest to make Jerry open up his wallet, but Jerry stuck to his guns and still got a leader at a much cheaper price. 2M a year for Brooking sounds better than 10+M a year for Lewis, imo... especially with our DL... where Ray doesn't have a the same kind of big blockers in front of him.

Canty will be missed, but not at that price tag. Just last year, Jerry resigned Ratliff to a 5 year, $20.5M deal. No wonder sides were so far apart after Canty landed a 5 year, $42M deal.

Jerry is wising up... I like this.

Staubach12
03-02-2009, 02:39 PM
F*** my life.

Thumper
03-02-2009, 08:17 PM
NFC East Arms Race!!!

*grabs popcorn*

Lol it is an entirely different world in the NFC East. 4 playoff contenders and 3 legitimate Superbowl contenders, makes for some good games. But, whenever there is a player on the market an NFC East team is always competing with each other. Take for example Anquan Boldin, out of all 32 teams in the NFL it is rumored that if he were traded the Giants and Eagles both have offers waiting.

But Chris Canty is a very good player and with the right coaching I believe that he can become a pro-bowl DT (not that that means anything now) with some good coaching, which is bad news for the Eagles.

stephenson86
03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
unlucky packers, castillo is still there