PDA

View Full Version : Laurinaitis VS Maualuga

steelcrew43
03-01-2009, 07:49 PM
James Laurinaitis Ohio St. 6017 244 4.80 315/8 10 22
Rey Maualuga USC 6016 249 4.82 313/4 10 23

mesurable's seem to be pretty close ... rey was supposed to be like 260 .. discuss who you like better as a pro prospect... i think both with succeed and both grade out as first rounders.but i think rey had better players around him in college ..

YAYareaRB
03-01-2009, 08:03 PM
but i think rey had better players around him in college ..

Are you trying to say Rey was only good because of the players around him? Wouldn't be harder to shine if there was better players around you?..

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
not a particular fan of either but I like Maualuga more in this debate.

Maybe I just havent seen enough of James yet, but I haven't been overly impressed with him.

jj45
03-01-2009, 10:43 PM
I think james is better I hate when people compare rey to ray lewis . Lewis start he plays with aggresive but its controlled I think people don't like james because he doesn't always blow people up he goes for the sure tackle and his team isn't full with future first round picks not saying that makes he weak or anything but its easier to hide flaws when ur not best player on the field. I think james will fall to the last 6 picks of the first round. And he will be great pro for the colts. But sense I see rey going to the chargers which make him look great too

Texas Homer
03-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Give me Maualuga.

brat316
03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
James Laurinaitis Ohio St. 6017 244 4.80 315/8 10 22
Rey Maualuga USC 6016 249 4.82 313/4 10 23

mesurable's seem to be pretty close ... rey was supposed to be like 260 .. discuss who you like better as a pro prospect... i think both with succeed and both grade out as first rounders.but i think rey had better players around him in college ..

Luga's 40 time might be faster since he got injured running it.

umphrey
03-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Mauluga will be very productive inside a 3-4. Lauranitis is a really average, and thus overrated prospect. I wouldn't even look at him until the second round or later, but he'll probably get drafted before that and be a disappointment.

Geo
03-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Scott McKillop for me.

Shahin
03-02-2009, 01:46 AM
I think james is better I hate when people compare rey to ray lewis . Lewis start he plays with aggresive but its controlled I think people don't like james because he doesn't always blow people up he goes for the sure tackle and his team isn't full with future first round picks not saying that makes he weak or anything but its easier to hide flaws when ur not best player on the field. I think james will fall to the last 6 picks of the first round. And he will be great pro for the colts. But sense I see rey going to the chargers which make him look great too

Jeez.

Anyway, I'd take Rey. I like the tenacity he plays with.

WMD
03-02-2009, 02:04 AM
I'll take Maualuga. I'm hoping the Lions get to snatch him up at #20. I love his aggressiveness and physicality.. Hoping he can continue to be an intimidating presence wherever he lands in the NFL.

Sloopy
03-02-2009, 09:54 AM
I know it was filled with spelling errors and I wasn't really sure what he was saying but I think I agree with JJ45 on this. IMHO I think that both will do well if they are picked for the right scheme... Rey going to the chargers and playing in that 3-4 scheme will be good and he will accel... If James goes to play for the colts or the patriots or any 4-3 tampa 2 type defense were he will be called upon to drop back sometimes and not really be looked at to deliver those big hits then he will be a sure tackler and have success just like Rey the only reason I believe he has dropped so fer is because alot of the teams who run his kind of defense have late round picks.

killxswitch
03-02-2009, 09:55 AM
I would take Maualuga first but either would be an upgrade for the Colts. I think Laurinaitis gets a bad rap because he isn't as fierce as some want him to be but he still gets the job done.

jj45
03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Sorry about the misspelling im always on my phone when im on this site

SteelCzar76
03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Rey hands down,...it's no contest. Sure he may have to refine his game a degree,...but that's nothing that cannot be achieved with league level coaching.

bitonti
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
it depends on the system. Rey in a 3-4, Laurinaitis in a 4-3.

MetSox17
03-02-2009, 10:42 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/lomis/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Babylon
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Both guys seem in a similar situation, stayed around 4 years, may have dropped off a bit in scouts eyes. Rey disappears from time to time, doesnt read plays as well as you'd like but is relentless in pursuit and will make a highlight reel play. JL to me is more consistant, reads plays exceptionally well and is a sure tackler, he doesnt play as physical or seem to make a lot of big plays but is solid.

Draft wise i honestly think both should be rated about the same. Rey has probably been getting too much love in mock drafts and JL not enough. Rey should go somewhere from 16 -32 and JL 20-32.

Hograiser
03-02-2009, 01:19 PM
i do not understand the JL hate this guy is the real deal. he flies to the football and makes plays all over the field. a good way to grade linebackers is if they are with in 5 yards of the football when the whistle blows. JL is always around the ball and constantly gets bad mouth for it. People talk like his jumping on piles and getting in on the tackles is a bad thing. But what it shows is that he is constantly around the ball and always trying to make plays. Rey is the oppisite. he runs down hill hard and looks for a teamate to force the cutback to him. if the ball doesnt come his way he just sits and watches the play instead of chasing it down and getting in on the play.
In the end both are playmakers. Rey let things happen with his play, but JL forces things to happen.
JL=Keith Brookings, Zach Thomas
Rey=Jeremiah Trotter, Ed Hartwell

MarioPalmer
03-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Rey Maualuga is the better prospect, he stills has unrelized potential and his ceiling is much much higher.

JL is what he is. He's not going to get better, he is maxed out in every single way. He's Paul Pozluszney at best.

Rey is Levon Kirkland, and has the potential to be closer to a Chad Brown as well. Big physical, solid athleticism and brings the wood every time. In 3 years when he gets his experience up he will be one of the most intimadating players in the NFL.

Staubach12
03-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Give me Rey-Rey. He has very good instincts and has the potential to be a hell of an NFL player.

SimonRath
03-02-2009, 02:39 PM
i LOVE James L. He isn't the flash type of LB the Rey is but i think hes better. He's consistant, an a goood tackler.

he the kind of player id want on my team cuz you wouldnt have to worry about any off field issues

ljk2171
03-02-2009, 03:29 PM
I think Laurinaitis is going to fall similar to the way Dan Connor did last year (maybe not as far). So he'll probably end up the second round, whereas Maualuga can go in the top 15 if someone reaches, but more likely the back half of the first round. In my opinion Maualuga doesn't get caught in the trash as much and I agree with the Trotter comparison above, downhill linebacker who may struggle in coverage. Laurinaitis is similar to Connor and Poz which I don't think is a bad thing for either prospect. I prefer Rey though.

BigBanger
03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I'll take JL.

I think both are very close. Both need to find the right scheme to be productive. In the end the only thing that separates the two, for me, is the head on their shoulders. JL is, simply put, a smarter guy. He might not have the talent level of Rey (and Rey's abilities are vastly overrated), but he plays with better technique and has a better understanding of defenses and gap control. He's a high character guy, a good competitor, a guy who I wont have to worry about with any off field issues, and a guy who's played up to his ability.

Rey can't get off blockers. He's not a single bit better than the day he was when he stepped foot on that campus. I also think he's a moron with bad athletic ability and an inability to shed blockers that's kind of appalling. And apparently he's not 275 pounds, so he looks even less like a physical specimen, which he isn't, and his game play never indicated that he was.

3rd (JL) and 4th (Rey) rounders.

Shahin
03-02-2009, 05:50 PM
I think Laurinaitis is going to fall similar to the way Dan Connor did last year (maybe not as far). So he'll probably end up the second round, whereas Maualuga can go in the top 15 if someone reaches, but more likely the back half of the first round. In my opinion Maualuga doesn't get caught in the trash as much and I agree with the Trotter comparison above, downhill linebacker who may struggle in coverage. Laurinaitis is similar to Connor and Poz which I don't think is a bad thing for either prospect. I prefer Rey though.

Whatever happened to Connor last year? Was he injured?

*googles*

edit//Ah, the good old torn ACL.

ljk2171
03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Whatever happened to Connor last year? Was he injured?

*googles*

edit//Ah, the good old torn ACL.

Yep, ACL. He was actually leading the NFL in special teams tackles when he got hurt.

nhlkdog411
03-02-2009, 10:50 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/lomis/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Wow awesome shop there and I've somehow never seen it before

steelcrew43
03-03-2009, 08:52 AM
the better players comment can be looked at either way ... but i believe that laurianitis will have more success due to his ability to read a play .. some say he isnt as athletic but i think that is a misconception to be honest..

batsandgats
03-11-2009, 04:42 PM
james laurenitis is going to get the paul poz treatment and all of a sudden people will realize he is a great linebacker. Where are the people who bashed Paul Poz and said he would be a bust? i never hear them eat their words
big 10 linebacker syndrome

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Rey Maualuga.... maybe the next Seau?