PDA

View Full Version : QB Fall off - and draft thoughts

RWills
03-02-2009, 11:12 AM
First off-

Where will these QB's be? It is looking more and more that Detroit is going Smith/Monroe/Curry and who could blame them really.

Now with KC getting Cassell in the fold and other teams (Tampa, Detroit) showing intrest in Cassell, how do they feel where Stafford and Sanchez is ranked on their boards?

What about other teams...

San Fran - I think they believe they are fine with Hill and hope Smith rejoins at a lower value. I dont think they are ready for another junior QB.

Jax - Garrard did look completely different, but will Del Rio want a QB when he is on the Hot Seat? Is he even calling the shots anymore? If not then there might be some yelling in that war room.

Seattle - Is Hasselback healed-Where is the future? I don't think they are going to spend money on a back up QB

Tampa / Chicago / NY / Detroit - Will one of these teams trade up, most likely, but who is going to give up picks? Out of all the teams I think Chicago is the least likely to trade up and Tampa doesnt have quite the ammo to move up. Detroit needs all the draft picks it needs so I dont see them trading up. The Jets might be the only team willing to move up, will they outbid themselves? (See Dwayne Robertson)

I think there is a possibility 1 or even both could fall out of top 15, what do you guys think.

DRAFT THOUGHTS

Seattle - I think they are in the worst spot. The 3 guys they could use (Smith/Monroe/Curry) could be gone. Trade downs in top 5 are so unlikely and Crabtree is hurting his value just by thinking. He might not be ready for training camp meaning who might not be much use through his rookie season. With signing Cole (overrated) I think they took Raji as an option away. - So where do they go now? QB? stick w/ Crabtree and cross your fingers?

Green Bay - Hearing rumors of releasing Ryan Grant, what will that do to their draft board?

WR's - Crabtree and Maclin should be gone quick and then their will be that one team that reachs for a WR like Harvin or DHB, and after that happens I expect a free for all on WR's with either one along with Britt and Nicks, keep and eye on Robiskie as a late round 1 guy as well.

DL - Just like with WR's I think once one team reaches for that 1 it will be a mad dash to get pass rushers and there are a plenty. Dont be suprised to see Ayers in the top 20 because he is the only all-around DE in this draft and his stock is soaring.

S - Was once thought the strongest is turning into the weakest. becuase it is week look for Delmas (Top Ranked Safety) to go early since the next best S is a middle of round 2 type. Look for him to go as high as 21 to Philadelphia possibly to get a head of New England and Atlanta who have big inteerest in said Delmas.

Clay Matthews - I expect him to be the 1st USC LB taken in the draft. If someone said that a year ago everyone would laugh. But I am here to say I expect him to be a member of the Houston Texans. His uncle just got a job with them. They have huge needs at SOLB and I feel he outperformed both in the Sr bowl and combine.

Tyson Jackson - Look for his stock to fly. 3-4 DE's are making some serious money on the markets and there are plenty of 3-4 teams that can use a true athletic 3-4. Green Bay / San Francisco / Denver

Deon Butler is this years Eddie Royal
Darius Heyward Bey is this years Vernon Ghoulston

Underrated team
QB - Stephen McGee - 3rd round if never got hurt
RB - Javarris Williams - Short and powerfull, good speed
WR - Kenny McKinnley - Better pro than college
WR - Aaron Kelly - Lost in a BAD season
TE - John Phiilips - Poor mans Heath Miller
OT - Andrew Gardner - Was a top 100 before injury
OG - Ryan Stancheck - Reminds me of Jacob Bell, can pull
C - Jonathan Luigs - Was the success of running game last 3 years
OG - Matt Saluson - Last year hurt Slauson and Lucky, good RG mauler
OT - Sebastion Volmer - Shined at the shrine

DE - Matt Shaughnessy - Long body, long arms, was hurt, can develop
DT - Roy Miller - a great 4-3 scrappy nose
DT - Dorrell Scott - great size, hurt by awful year
DE - Derek Walker - Could turn to be a valuable base
LB - Anthony Felder - Best pro of all Cali LB's, poor man's Boley
LB - Jasper Brinkly - Just feel people are overlooking
LB - Tyrone McKenzie - Like Brinkley, will be solid pro think Angelo Crowell
CB - Keenan Lewis - I just love this guy, size and hips to mirror
CB - Erik Lankster - Scrappy 1 year starter that produced, showed up at allstar
S - Otis Wiley - Was a wild man and team leader, cant wait for pro day
S - Anthony Reddick - Was to follow the Miami tradition of 1st round safeties took hit because of knee injuries

Overrated Team

QB - Rhett Bomar - Has never looked like a 3-4 prospect to me
RB - Shonne Greene - I see short yardage back
WR - Derrick Williams - He reminds me of Peter Warrick, not a complement
WR - Demetrius Byrd - has the speed, doesnt have the hands nor routes
TE - James Casey - Doesnt have a true position
OT - Eben Britton - Something is missing when watching him
OG - Duke Robinson - Title game showed his struggle with speed
C - Alex Mack - Just Cali OL in general worry me, we'll see
OG - Trevor Canfield - arms are just too short and doesnt have a base for it
OT - Garrett Reynolds - Might of been the worst OT at combine

DE - Everette Brown - 6'1.5 with a broad of 9'6 will cause me to stay clear in top half
DT - Fili Moala - Just seems lazy, got by on athletic ability
DT - Rickey Jean-Francis - Why are people so high?
DE - Paul Kruger - Just average athleticism and not a strong base.
LB - Marcus Freeman - Where is the consistent game tape to make him a 2nd
LB - Joshua Mauga - Like all nevada players, will test good
LB - Dannell Elerbe - imo just way overrated, will test out though
CB - Asher Allen - Doesnt have the best of hands and showed lackluster speed
CB - Vontae Davis - Yes he does have he ability to be great, but will his prima donna-ness succeed. was benched in college, has sloppy technique
S - David Bruton - I see way to high of a back pedal, just straightline speed, lack of cover skils, great ST player though
S - Michael Hamlin - Really thin, not the greatest hands and showed his lack of range.

bad econmy - I am bored, sorry for the length

Yatta!
03-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Where are you hearing these rumours about Packers and Grant? Got a link?

I haven't heard anything and nothing has been mentioned in the team forum.

jj45
03-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I hope ur wrong about dhb he going to the bears I was hoping for a better career then crabtree

RWills
03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Where are you hearing these rumours about Packers and Grant? Got a link?

I haven't heard anything and nothing has been mentioned in the team forum.

I think it might of been from scout.com or PFW. I checked the boards as well.

RWills
03-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I hope ur wrong about dhb he going to the bears I was hoping for a better career then crabtree

I just see a lot of Chad Jackson in him. As a Pats fan I know how it is

gpngc
03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Crabtree will be fine for training camp. He'll be fine in 6-10 weeks.

the decider13
03-02-2009, 12:46 PM
There are a couple of paths for DHB...He can become the next chad jackson like you said, or he will dominate the NFL with his speed. It is a tough call at this point. But there is more to being an NFL receiver than speed. So I kinda agree with your thought on DHB.

Halsey
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
What makes it seem like Detroit will do the cowardly Lion thing and take a OT #1? Just because many fans are afraid that every QB will bust doesn't mean the Lions aren't gonna pick Stafford. Many of the same fans were afraid of Matt Ryan too. Detroit is gonna take Stafford #1.

Mr.Regular
03-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Cutting Ryan Grant? Whaaaaaaaaat? Why?

And I disagree with your assessment of Detroit... It was looking a lot like Atlanta wasn't going Matt Ryan with #3 last year, but in the end they took the potential franchise QB. I've gotta think Detroit does that.
But I guess you have to ask yourself what do you like better.... Stafford/Beatty or Freeman/ J.Smith? That seems like the 2 likeliest scenarios if their dead set on LT and QB.

I also don't see the Jags going QB. MAYBE if Monroe, J.Smith, and Raji are all gone though.

IMO I see Stafford as going #1, with a worst case scenario of #4. I see Sanchez with a ceiling of #4 and a basement of #10 (EDIT: Though I guess I can see him sliding to #17 in some scenarios). Freeman will slide somewhere in that Chicago, Jets, Tampa, Minny range.

phlysac
03-02-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't see the Chad Jackson/DHB similarities. Wasn't an inability to stay healthy what killed Jackson?

Babylon
03-02-2009, 01:17 PM
What makes it seem like Detroit will do the cowardly Lion thing and take a OT #1? Just because many fans are afraid that every QB will bust doesn't mean the Lions aren't gonna pick Stafford. Many of the same fans were afraid of Matt Ryan too. Detroit is gonna take Stafford #1.

I sort of laighed at the "it's looking more and more"..... comment. Someone needs to tell the Lions they arent taking Stafford.

georgiafan
03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
They let Dan O leave as a FA, traded John Kitna, failed to trade for Cassell (for whatever reason). If anything it's looking more likely they will draft Stafford (or sanchez).

RWills
03-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't see the Chad Jackson/DHB similarities. Wasn't an inability to stay healthy what killed Jackson?

he was hurt yes, but that wasnt what doomed him, it was his inability to round off routes and make up routes when he didnt know the play and drop many catchable balls.

All of that reminds me of DHB, it is common knowledge he isnt know for his hands.

Shane P. Hallam
03-02-2009, 03:08 PM
They let Dan O leave as a FA, traded John Kitna, failed to trade for Cassell (for whatever reason). If anything it's looking more likely they will draft Stafford (or sanchez).

Yeah, I think is guy is spewing a few things that he is creating out of thin air.

Fly_EaglesFly
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM

Either that or they could try making a run at Cutler if his situation in Denver completely falls apart....

phlysac
03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
he was hurt yes, but that wasnt what doomed him, it was his inability to round off routes and make up routes when he didnt know the play and drop many catchable balls.

All of that reminds me of DHB, it is common knowledge he isnt know for his hands.

That's because he's always been known for his speed. DHB doesn't have the best hands obviously, but I've never seen nor read where it was an issue for him at Maryland.

RWills
03-02-2009, 06:59 PM
It's just my opinion, I have seen way to many draft's with players like him. Troy Williamson, Travis Taylor, Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Donte Stallworth, Matt Jones, Koren Robinson, Robert Meachum, etc. They all were drafted way to high than their ratings based on speed. I just think DHB has to break a long streak of speed busts and I wouldnt spend a top 25 pick on him, just my opinion.

phlysac
03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
It's just my opinion, I have seen way to many draft's with players like him. Troy Williamson, Travis Taylor, Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Donte Stallworth, Matt Jones, Koren Robinson, Robert Meachum, etc. They all were drafted way to high than their ratings based on speed. I just think DHB has to break a long streak of speed busts and I wouldnt spend a top 25 pick on him, just my opinion.

Can't argue with your reasoning.

farfromforgotten
03-02-2009, 07:08 PM
First off-

Where will these QB's be? It is looking more and more that Detroit is going Smith/Monroe/Curry and who could blame them really.

I hope you are some kind of prophet or something. Anyway you could predict that the other 8 teams picking ahead of my 49ers will not take Stafford as well?

If Detroit selects anyone other than a guy named Matthew Stafford at #1 they have made the wrong selection. They can find O line help with some of there other early picks, and I dont believe that a LB will go #1 overall.

Brent
03-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I hope you are some kind of prophet or something. Anyway you could predict that the other 8 teams picking ahead of my 49ers will not take Stafford as well?
As much as I dont like Sanchez, if Matt fell to the Niners I would love if we selected him.

The homerism in me wants him to be a Niner haha.

TT Gator
03-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Sorry bro but Staffords going #1. If he doesn't the Lions are idiots and can expect another winless season but I believe with Millen gone their brains are starting to work again. I think they've finally realized they have 2 extra early picks if they want a LT and a LB they 2 chances after #1 but if they want a franchise QB? they have only one shot. Even though you believe that the 49ers are happy with Hill if Sanchez falls in there lap I think its a lock. If not I could see the Seahawks, Minnesota, Tampa Bay and less likely the NY Jets or Bears taking Sanchez. The Seahawks will go LT most likely but with Hasselback getting older, playing worse, and the pick up of T.J. they may go QB. With the Jets losing Coles and with Sanchez gone I think its a no brainer even if hes there Harvin or DHB will be going to NY. I also think whichever one they don't take will go to Chicago. Hester is their only receiving threat they need more depth. I'd also add Nicks as a possibility to the Bears. On receivers I have to disagree with you on them going earlier than predicted. Originally I agreed with you but after everything that happened in free agency Crabtree is likely going to fall unless hes chosen simply as the best player on the board I think the earliest he'll go is #8 or 9 with Maclin having a chance of being the first WR taken. If the Jags don't go WR one of them might have a wait on their hands. Though later in the draft after #20 I think 2 to 3 receivers have a chance to be taken.

OneToughGame
03-11-2009, 02:47 AM
Seattle - I think they are in the worst spot. The 3 guys they could use (Smith/Monroe/Curry) could be gone. Trade downs in top 5 are so unlikely and Crabtree is hurting his value just by thinking. He might not be ready for training camp meaning who might not be much use through his rookie season. With signing Cole (overrated) I think they took Raji as an option away. - So where do they go now? QB? stick w/ Crabtree and cross your fingers?

Why do people think Seattle needs another LB? They just tagged Hill. There is absolutely NO need right now for a LB in Seattle. Maybe after this next season but not right now.

Cicero
03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
First off-

Now with KC getting Cassell in the fold and other teams (Tampa, Detroit) showing intrest in Cassell, how do they feel where Stafford and Sanchez is ranked on their boards?

What about other teams...

San Fran - I think they believe they are fine with Hill and hope Smith rejoins at a lower value. I dont think they are ready for another junior QB.

Jax - Garrard did look completely different, but will Del Rio want a QB when he is on the Hot Seat? Is he even calling the shots anymore? If not then there might be some yelling in that war room.

Seattle - Is Hasselback healed-Where is the future? I don't think they are going to spend money on a back up QB

Tampa / Chicago / NY / Detroit - Will one of these teams trade up, most likely, but who is going to give up picks? Out of all the teams I think Chicago is the least likely to trade up and Tampa doesnt have quite the ammo to move up. Detroit needs all the draft picks it needs so I dont see them trading up. The Jets might be the only team willing to move up, will they outbid themselves? (See Dwayne Robertson)

I think there is a possibility 1 or even both could fall out of top 15, what do you guys think.

DRAFT THOUGHTS

Green Bay - Hearing rumors of releasing Ryan Grant, what will that do to their draft board?

WR's - Crabtree and Maclin should be gone quick and then their will be that one team that reachs for a WR like Harvin or DHB, and after that happens I expect a free for all on WR's with either one along with Britt and Nicks, keep and eye on Robiskie as a late round 1 guy as well.

DL - Just like with WR's I think once one team reaches for that 1 it will be a mad dash to get pass rushers and there are a plenty. Dont be suprised to see Ayers in the top 20 because he is the only all-around DE in this draft and his stock is soaring.

S - Was once thought the strongest is turning into the weakest. becuase it is week look for Delmas (Top Ranked Safety) to go early since the next best S is a middle of round 2 type. Look for him to go as high as 21 to Philadelphia possibly to get a head of New England and Atlanta who have big inteerest in said Delmas.

Clay Matthews - I expect him to be the 1st USC LB taken in the draft. If someone said that a year ago everyone would laugh. But I am here to say I expect him to be a member of the Houston Texans. His uncle just got a job with them. They have huge needs at SOLB and I feel he outperformed both in the Sr bowl and combine.

Tyson Jackson - Look for his stock to fly. 3-4 DE's are making some serious money on the markets and there are plenty of 3-4 teams that can use a true athletic 3-4. Green Bay / San Francisco / Denver

Deon Butler is this years Eddie Royal
Darius Heyward Bey is this years Vernon Ghoulston

Underrated team
RB - Javarris Williams - Short and powerfull, good speed
WR - Kenny McKinnley - Better pro than college
WR - Aaron Kelly - Lost in a BAD season
TE - John Phiilips - Poor mans Heath Miller
OT - Andrew Gardner - Was a top 100 before injury
OG - Ryan Stancheck - Reminds me of Jacob Bell, can pull
C - Jonathan Luigs - Was the success of running game last 3 years
OG - Matt Saluson - Last year hurt Slauson and Lucky, good RG mauler
OT - Sebastion Volmer - Shined at the shrine

DE - Matt Shaughnessy - Long body, long arms, was hurt, can develop
DT - Roy Miller - a great 4-3 scrappy nose
DT - Dorrell Scott - great size, hurt by awful year
DE - Derek Walker - Could turn to be a valuable base
LB - Anthony Felder - Best pro of all Cali LB's, poor man's Boley
LB - Jasper Brinkly - Just feel people are overlooking
LB - Tyrone McKenzie - Like Brinkley, will be solid pro think Angelo Crowell
CB - Keenan Lewis - I just love this guy, size and hips to mirror
CB - Erik Lankster - Scrappy 1 year starter that produced, showed up at allstar
S - Otis Wiley - Was a wild man and team leader, cant wait for pro day
S - Anthony Reddick - Was to follow the Miami tradition of 1st round safeties took hit because of knee injuries

Overrated Team

QB - Rhett Bomar - Has never looked like a 3-4 prospect to me
RB - Shonne Greene - I see short yardage back
WR - Derrick Williams - He reminds me of Peter Warrick, not a complement
WR - Demetrius Byrd - has the speed, doesnt have the hands nor routes
TE - James Casey - Doesnt have a true position
OT - Eben Britton - Something is missing when watching him
OG - Duke Robinson - Title game showed his struggle with speed
C - Alex Mack - Just Cali OL in general worry me, we'll see
OG - Trevor Canfield - arms are just too short and doesnt have a base for it
OT - Garrett Reynolds - Might of been the worst OT at combine

DE - Everette Brown - 6'1.5 with a broad of 9'6 will cause me to stay clear in top half
DT - Fili Moala - Just seems lazy, got by on athletic ability
DT - Rickey Jean-Francis - Why are people so high?
DE - Paul Kruger - Just average athleticism and not a strong base.
LB - Marcus Freeman - Where is the consistent game tape to make him a 2nd
LB - Joshua Mauga - Like all nevada players, will test good
LB - Dannell Elerbe - imo just way overrated, will test out though
CB - Asher Allen - Doesnt have the best of hands and showed lackluster speed
CB - Vontae Davis - Yes he does have he ability to be great, but will his prima donna-ness succeed. was benched in college, has sloppy technique
S - David Bruton - I see way to high of a back pedal, just straightline speed, lack of cover skils, great ST player though
S - Michael Hamlin - Really thin, not the greatest hands and showed his lack of range.

bad econmy - I am bored, sorry for the length
Seahawks could use Curry? We have the best group of 4-3 linebackers in the NFL. There is a 0% chance we take him.