PDA

View Full Version : Michael Clayton signs 5 year 25 million dollar deal with Bucs

Rjspartan
03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3944914
what do you guys think of this, personally i think this is a terrible deal. why would they pay 25mil on a guy like clayton who hasn't been real productive?

CashmoneyDrew
03-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Probably has something to do with the way the contract is written. Also, aren't they like 50 million below the cap? Gotta make it to the cap floor somehow.

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
That rookie season sure has carried him a long way.

BaLLiN
03-02-2009, 03:36 PM
That rookie season sure has carried him a long way.

he had a good block leading to a TD, dont remember the play except when his helmet came off he had a tiny mohawk

BlindSite
03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Gunners are expensive these days.

Brodeur
03-02-2009, 04:22 PM
5 million a year is a lot for a blocking number 3/4 receiver.

OzTitan
03-02-2009, 04:25 PM
It's fairly odd to see a disappointing 1st rounder resign with his drafted team to a fairly beefy deal.

But as pointed out, maybe the cap-floor thing isn't that much of a stretch at all.

Kase1
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Good thing the Bucs finally got a #1 WR......... Oh wait they kept their halfway decent posession WR

Guess they dont believe in Offense down there in Tampa

Brent
03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Good thing the Bucs finally got a #1 WR......... Oh wait they got another halfway decent posession WR

Guess they dont believe in Offense down there in Tampa
Do not question Luke McCownzzz! Luke = SB win. haha.

brat316
03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Cap floor....they could have picked up a few free agents this year and offered him a contract that resembles his ability.

They could get Nate Washington, Brian McFadden, Dawkings, Runyan, Cassel.

OzTitan
03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Cap floor....they could have picked up a few free agents this year and offered him a contract that resembles his ability.

They could get Nate Washington, Brian McFadden, Dawkings, Runyan, Cassel.

Nate just went off the market ;)

Caddy
03-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Maurice Stovall is our gunner!

Flyboy
03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
... *shakes head*

Nice one, Tampa Bay.

umphrey
03-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Why so much money to a guy they never use...

He's had plenty of time, the pricetag just doesn't match the production or skills. Maybe if another team signed this contract thinking he's a solid #2 but the Bucs already know what they have so it makes no sense whatsoever.

Caddy
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Why so much money to a guy they never use...

He's had plenty of time, the pricetag just doesn't match the production or skills. Maybe if another team signed this contract thinking he's a solid #2 but the Bucs already know what they have so it makes no sense whatsoever.

Apparently the Seahawks offered him more money but he declined to sign for the Bucs.

I hope this does signify Clayton receiving a bigger role in the offense. Behind K2 and Bryant it looks like he might be the #3 target so hopefully with an increased workload he returns to his rookie year form.

brat316
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Apparently the Seahawks offered him more money but he declined to sign for the Bucs.

I hope this does signify Clayton receiving a bigger role in the offense. Behind K2 and Bryant it looks like he might be the #3 target so hopefully with an increased workload he returns to his rookie year form.

you mean with a decrease in importance.

Geo
03-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Maybe his career picks back up again, following the departure of Gruden.

Caddy
03-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Maybe his career picks back up again, following the departure of Gruden.

Buccaneers fans have been dreaming of this since his disappointing sophomore season. Hopefully we aren't disappointed again.

bearsfan_51
03-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Why not just extend your good players with the cap space? Michael Clayton sucks. The Lions signed Bryant Johnson, a player of comparable talent, for 3 years-9 million.

wogitalia
03-03-2009, 03:20 AM
Could end up being a bargain if he stars now that he is finally out of the doghouse.

Seems unlikely though, that rookie season seems so long ago now.

etk
03-03-2009, 07:57 AM

Way to have no clue what you're talking about troll.

rockio42
03-03-2009, 08:42 AM
I still believe in him and hope this deal pans out and he beasts like he did his rookie year...

I KNOW IT ALL
03-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Talented player but he didn't take care of his body and it shows. I think he's past the point of return but there's always that chance he still has something left in the tank.

umphrey
03-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I still believe in him and hope this deal pans out and he beasts like he did his rookie year...

I don't think he was a beast in his rookie year IIRC someone got hurt and he just filled in admirably.

Beans
03-03-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't think he was a beast in his rookie year IIRC someone got hurt and he just filled in admirably.

wrongo dongo

rockio42
03-03-2009, 09:49 AM

80 catches is not filling in admiribly

I KNOW IT ALL
03-03-2009, 09:49 AM

He put up almost 1200 yards as a rookie...that's quite a bit more than filling in "admirably".

umphrey
03-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Well I guess I remembered incorrectly.
Correct me if I'm wrong on this statement:
The Bucs were a good team that year and their passing attack was very productive. Then 1 or 2 of their starting receivers got hurt and Clayton was starter by default, best of a depleted depth chart. He stepped into an already productive system and put up respectable numbers. Thus, a lot of his production can be attributed to a system.

Once they got some healthy receivers though, he barely saw the field.

etk
03-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that was the year Keyshawn Johnson got deactivated. Or maybe it was the year after. Either way, Clayton was the starter for the whole season and the #1 guy for most of it.

Production in our WCO is not "system" production at all. It's not like we consistently have league-leading WRs here. What Antonio Bryant did last year was nothing short of beastly. Yardage and TDs (especially) are earned in this offense, not given.

Our offense was consistently bad with a horrible supporting cast. Clayton's rookie year was very much his doing.

CC.SD
03-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Clayton's rookie year wasn't a fluke, he was beastly from the get go, and a big reason they were okay with trading Keenan McCardell IIRC.

I am coming around to this signing, especially if Bryant continues to rock. Continuity in the WR corps is going to kickstart the Josh Johnson era and usher in a new golden age for the NFL.

Beans
03-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I am coming around to this signing, especially if Bryant continues to rock. Continuity in the WR corps is going to kickstart the Josh Johnson era and usher in a new golden age for the NFL.

this man knows what's up

rockio42
03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Clayton's rookie year wasn't a fluke, he was beastly from the get go, and a big reason they were okay with trading Keenan McCardell IIRC.

I see were you are coming from this but...a lot of Tampa Bay fans seem to want Mark Sanchez which would pretty much take Josh Johnson out of the equation...

Beans
03-03-2009, 09:28 PM
don't ruin my dreams, man

CC.SD
03-03-2009, 09:29 PM
this man knows what's up

I have been a witness to the inevitable future for years.

Sanchez a Buc?! SD roots...USC for life...conflict...conflict...emergency shutdown.