PDA

View Full Version : Seattle #4

RWills
03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
No Raji - Cole signing
No Crabtree - Housh signing

what if Monroe/Curry/Smith go 1-3

Does Seattle reach for Orakpo/Jenkins?

Do they take the organization in a different route with Stafford or Sanchez?

How does everyone feel about this?

Brent
03-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they still go Crabtree but I guess Orakpo or Andre Smith wouldnt be a bad pick.

Primetime21
03-02-2009, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they still go Crabtree but I guess Orakpo or Andre Smith wouldnwat be a bad pick.

Ruskell is pretty cautious of character when it comes to the draft and cant really seem him going after Andre.

The Hawks are in a horrible spot and would love them to trade down(Hopefully Al Davis falls in love with Crab). If it goes with the scenario in the first post Stafford is probably going to be the choice even though he may not be the best choice for WCO.

For years I have wanted the Hawks to have a chance at elite prospects and now with the TJ signing no one is tempting.

Big Board
1. J. Smith/ E. Monroe
2. M. Stafford
3. Crab

keylime_5
03-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Assuming Stafford is gone it's gonna be either Crabtree or an OT like Monroe or Jason Smith.

cc360
03-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Not only does the team still need a WR, it needs a young one as well. Branch, Burleson and Housh are all on the wrong side of 30 or will be soon. After them it's a sad bunch of players at WR.

jballa838
03-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Stafford is not going to be a hawk. quote that. Crabtree would still be drafted if he was there and the 2 OT's arent.

Fly_EaglesFly
03-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Not only does the team still need a WR, it needs a young one as well. Branch, Burleson and Housh are all on the wrong side of 30 or will be soon. After them it's a sad bunch of players at WR.

if curry/monroe/smith go ahead of them, the Have to look at Crab and Stafford. although given the injuries that Hasselbeck has suffered and given his age, a QB might be the best option.

Yatta!
03-02-2009, 07:35 PM
In my mind the top 4 looks pretty set at the moment but obviously things change.
1. Detroit - Matthew Stafford
2. Rams - Jason Smith
3. Chiefs - Aaron Curry
4. Seahawks - Eugene Monroe

Shane P. Hallam
03-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Do they really still need that LT? I just don't see it as a huge need.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Monroe without a doubt

jballa838
03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Do they really still need that LT? I just don't see it as a huge need.
Walter Jones is getting up there in age, and Locklear is a RT. They'd pick the lineman and move Sean to guard I think. not quite sure, but for future's sake I hope they get one of these stud OTs.

RaiderNation
03-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Dont rule out QB here. Id say they go either Curry or OT. They could fall in love with Sanchez though and take him here

Primetime21
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Dont rule out QB here. Id say they go either Curry or OT. They could fall in love with Sanchez though and take him here

Seahawks GM values experience more than any other quality it seems and Sanchez has failed to do more than Brady Quinn at this point.

Stafford does seem to be unrealistic but I cant see Hasselback being able to thrive in the league after this next season. Injuries and age are becoming a huge problem for him. We can cut Frye and let Stafford sit back for a year then he can compete with Wallace in 2 seasons. Seahawks are probably noticing Baltimore and Atlanta's success from last years strategy. I see a lot of comparisons in last years Baltimore and this years Seattle.

As for OT it really isnt a need, but more of an insurance policy of stability of the O-line. Right now I think Locklear can handle LT when Jones is done with(2 more years of upper tier play).

Im kinda disgusted with our WR situation. We have huge money tied up with Nate, Branch, Housh. Branch has ran into bad luck and whenever he comes back from an injury he shows promise, Nate hasnt really found his role, and Housh hopefully puts up Jurevicous type numbers. Crab will just add problems to our WR core and I think a 3rd or 4th round WR would be better for the Hawks in so many ways.

umphrey
03-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Ruskell is pretty cautious of character when it comes to the draft and cant really seem him going after Andre.

The Hawks are in a horrible spot and would love them to trade down(Hopefully Al Davis falls in love with Crab). If it goes with the scenario in the first post Stafford is probably going to be the choice even though he may not be the best choice for WCO.

For years I have wanted the Hawks to have a chance at elite prospects and now with the TJ signing no one is tempting.

Big Board
1. J. Smith/ E. Monroe
2. M. Stafford
3. Crab

/thread

It's easy to predict the #4 pick, just make a 4 player big board.

etk
03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
In my mind the top 4 looks pretty set at the moment but obviously things change.
1. Detroit - Matthew Stafford
2. Rams - Jason Smith
3. Chiefs - Aaron Curry
4. Seahawks - Eugene Monroe

I agree. That's the only way I see it ATM.

diabsoule
03-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I think their BB is this:

1. Matt Stafford
2. BJ Raji
3. J. Smith
4. Crabtree
5. Eugene Monreo

Primetime21
03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I think their BB is this:

1. Matt Stafford
2. BJ Raji
3. J. Smith
4. Crabtree
5. Eugene Monreo

We have a decent enough rotation at NT to where it really isnt a need and even though Raji could drastically improve the entire front 7. The signing of Cole was also a sign that our team is fine where we are at.

Raji is quite appealing and fits the profile of a Seahawks first rounder.

summond822
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
J. Smith, Monroe, & Raji are going to be at the top of their big board in that order.

It would be fiscally irresponsible to invest as much money as they have in Housh and then go out and spend that same money on Crabtree. Taking a guy like Robiskie in the early third or trading up to get him would probably be their best option.

Raji is not really a Ruskell guy, with only one year of production and being suspended for one year, but he is such a disruptive force, he may force Ruskell's hand and they could potentially get a Albert Haynesworth type of guy eventually. Cole has pretty much been a rotation guy his entire career, and he is going to be that again in Seattle. Raji would be an impact pick, but the question really is how much of an impact would he make? He would be rotating a lot so he likely isn't the pick.

Seahawks fans are pretty much convinced that our collapse since our Super Bowl appearance, and the cause for Alexander's downfall, is that we haven't been able to replace Hutchison. Losing Walter Jones would be even more catastrophic, so they have to secure his successor somewhere in this draft. Preferably Smith or Monroe, but if Ruskell has to reach for Oher, I could definately see them doing that.

S is our biggest need, that likely won't be addressed, but taking Jenkins there is just plain stupid. You don't spend a top 5 pick on a CB/S tweener. An impact safety like Mays or Berry, maybe, but not Jenkins.

TACKLE
03-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't think that the Cole signing will stop them from considering BJ Raji. Most of the Seahawks struggles defensively revolved around the DT position. They were unable to get interior pressure, and when you don't a push up the middle, it is easier to double team a guy like Patrick Kerney. There secondary is alright but nothing special. This exposed their secondary and also cause Seattle to blitz more to provide pressure which makes you liable in passing game. I think BJ Raji would be a great pick but their nothing wrong with getting a talented future blindside protector. Also, don't totally rule out Crabtree.

cc360
03-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Ruskell drafting a good WR in the later rounds? Haha good one.

The Seahawks still need another WR. You cannot depend on Housh/Branch/Burleson to get you through a full season.

- Housh should be good as a #2
- Branch is a lesser #2 and will get hurt
- Burleson has always been a #3 to me besides one year, and he's coming off major surgery.
- Every other WR on the team sucks.

All Ruskell has done in his tenure with the Seahawks is sign players to overpriced contracts. Deon Grant? That's just embarrassing. Good player, doesn't deserve as much as he's earning though.

eazyb81
03-03-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't know why there's not more talk of Sanchez at #4. Hasselbeck isn't getting any younger, and with a new regime in charge that has no ties to him, now seems like the perfect time to take a QBOTF and let him sit for a year or two behind Hass.

If they don't go the QB route, I think the best OT available, either Smith or Monroe, will be the pick.

keylime_5
03-03-2009, 08:16 AM
I dont think anyone in the league thinks Sanchez is good enough to go #4. Maybe if he had 2 years worth of film, but not with what they have on him. Smith/Monroe makes the most sense to me unless they fall in love with Crabtree.

NotoRussell
03-03-2009, 08:33 AM
how about to draft a RB? yes, Moreno and Wells ran bad at the combine, but for me they are still top15 picks because of their college production.
IMO they will draft a LT or QB, but we shouldnt forget that they havent a great RB since Shaun got his big contract. Jones and Duckett arent the answer.

keylime_5
03-03-2009, 08:37 AM
They need a back, and those guys are top 15 quality....but not top 4 quality.

RWills
03-03-2009, 11:18 AM
They need a back, and those guys are top 15 quality....but not top 4 quality.

Agreed, if they ran in the 4.3's then you can make an argument.

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
They could get much better value with McCoy or Brown who could be available in the second round if they would want to...

BuddyCHRIST
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
They are definitely in a awkward spot, Crabtree still would be a pretty good pick, especially because I don't think this team is that far away from competing in that weak division (especially if Arizona loses Warner) and with a healthy Hasslebeck they could make some noise. Sanchez is a good fit with being able to sit and for that offense, but at 4 and when the team isn't in total rebuilding mode it's hard to take a guy to sit. LT is probably the best mix of need and value, and I think thats where they'll go. They could get a good RB in the 2nd and I think they should take someone like Bomar to develop behind Hass.

Mr.Regular
03-03-2009, 12:14 PM
With these signings, I think the Seahawks have a 'win now' mentality.
So I'd rule out Sanchez.
Stafford and Jason Smith will likely be gone.
That leaves Raji, Monroe, ands Crabtree as the only realistic options IMO.
I think they go Monroe personally.

cacksman
03-03-2009, 09:34 PM
As a Seahawks fan, my educated opinion would be one of 5 players. They will have the choice between 2 of these players:

Jason Smith
Eugene Monroe
Michael Crabtree
Brian Orakpo
Matt Stafford

That is my big board for Seattle. Smith or Monroe would be ideal with the signing of Housh. Crabtree can still not be counted out because WR is still a need. A team can never have enough talented DE's, or they may feel like it is a good idea to start grooming a replacement for Hass for the next couple of years. I am just recently entertaining that idea.

Young Nasty Man
03-03-2009, 09:35 PM
You start to wonder would they take the greatest value at this pick if none of the tackles are their....

cacksman
03-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Raji will most likely not be the choice. DT has the highest bust rate of any position and with the signing of Cole, DT is no longer a big need. We need depth players at that spot more than anything. Seattle also rotates their DT's a lot, so spending a top 5 pick on one would be foolish.

Curry will also not be the choice. It would be flat out stupid to draft Curry. We already have arguably the best LB corps in the NFL and even if we traded Hill or Peterson, we would still only be moving laterally when we could shore up a position of need. Linebacker is not one of our needs.

gpngc
03-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Possibilities assuming Stafford, J. Smith, and Curry are gone at #4

Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
Why they will: Walter Jones is aging and the team must prepare for life without him. It is possible that Jones may still be feeling effects of the injury and maybe they don't feel Locklear is the future at LT. Perhaps a move of Locklear to guard would be best for the team, with Monroe playing RT until Jones retires.
Why they won't: With both tackle spots locked up, there is really no room for a third OT unless he can play inside. Even so, you usually don't pay #4 money to a swing 3rd OT or OG.
Possibility at this point IMO: 35%

Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
Why they will: Matt Hasselbeck has had trouble staying healthy recently and he's not getting any younger either. After what they hope was a fluke terrible season, using the pick for the QB of the future is a "free pick" and blessing in disguise. This of course is contingent upon the team believing Sanchez can be a franchise QB after a few years of learning behind Hass.
Why they won't: As evidenced by the T.J. Housh signing, this team still believes it can win now. With a pick of all but three players in the entire draft, surely they'd rather take someone who will help the Hasselbeck-led team right now.
Possibility at this point IMO: 20%

Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
Why they will: Even with T.J. Housh on board, the team still doesn't have a young WR they can be excited about going forward. Also, Crabtree is regarded as the best player in the draft and may be the only option worth the money that comes with being selected 4th overall. Housh will play Branch's flanker position, and with Branch being moved to the slot or possibly being cut, there is still a hole at split end, especially considering Nate Burleson coming off a serious injury.
Why they won't: It's hard to imagine GM Tim Ruskell spending around $100 million on WRs in one offseason, especially given the fact that Branch and Burleson don't have particularly cheap contracts either.
Possibility at this point IMO: 20%

Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State
Why they will: They do need a safety, and Jenkins looks like he could be an Antrel Rolle-type player in the NFL.
Why they won't: Tim Ruskell values speed on defense, and while he may become a good FS, the team is looking more for a SS so that Deon Grant can move back to FS, as evidenced by their interest in FA SS Jermaine Phillips.
Possibility at this point IMO: 10%

B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College
Why they will: They had trouble stopping the run and Raji is a supreme talent. Plus, you can never have enough DL.
Why they won't: They just signed Colin Cole giving them three options at NT in Cole, Brandon Mebane and Red Bryant. The need is probably more at UT where Mebane may be moved and Craig Terrill currently is the only real penetrating inside pass rusher..
Possibility at this point IMO: 5%

Trade down
Why they will: If they don't want Crabtree, it's possible there is nothing worth it for them at #4.
Why they won't: It's ridiculously difficult to trade down from a top pick. No one wants to give up two or more cheaper unproven players to pay that much $ for one unproven player.

Something I'm not seeing
A RB, Oher, A. Smith, Vontae Davis, a DE, Maclin, Harvin, Freeman, etc.

gpngc
03-04-2009, 06:09 PM
And now Mayock reveals something even the biggest Crab fans never mentioned/realized (including myself): He's a good blocker.

I really hope Seattle didn't opt for a 31-year old possession receiver in lieu of a dynamic perennial all-pro playmaker. I really hope they didn't...

Cicero
03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
And now Mayock reveals something even the biggest Crab fans never mentioned/realized (including myself): He's a good blocker.

I really hope Seattle didn't opt for a 31-year old possession receiver in lieu of a dynamic perennial all-pro playmaker. I really hope they didn't...

You and me both.

ElectricEye
03-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I still think Crabtree would be a decent pick. They'll need a quarterback in the next couple years and drafting Crabtree instantly turns a weakness into a position of strength for them and sets up an easy transition for a quarterback. Of course, a quality tackle to take over once Jones is done certainly wouldn't hurt either. Tough decision for them to make.

gpngc
03-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Sando knows the Seahawks better than anyone:

Chuck from parts unknown writes: Hey mike now that seattle has T.J. is there any way they still take Crabtree?

Mike Sando: Yes. I think that would be an aggressive move with the potential to put the Seahawks' receiving corps over the top if Michael Crabtree met expectations. General manager Tim Ruskell's tack has been to react strongly to problems. Adding Houshmandzadeh was a strong reaction. Taking Crabtree would put down the hammer. I think it could happen.

There is still hope...

toonsterwu
03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Just coming by to give my 2 cents -

The Seahawks picture will be clearer after March 19th. If Stafford shows well, I think the Lions lean back that way. That said, all along, the Lions have, according to rumors, been looking for a way to go away from Stafford. If it's not Stafford, for all the talk about OT, I think it'd be Curry. I may be off on that, but short of it is, I think it's Stafford/Curry.

The darkhorse in all this is that Mark Sanchez is moving up. Now ... moving up in value doesn't necessarily mean he'll go high. After all, we've seen QB's drop before.

Let's look at the possible scenarios pre-Seattle

Scenario A

1. Detroit - QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia. Franchise QB is needed.
2. St. Louis - OT Jason Smith, Baylor. Top OT is needed, with Pace being shopped.

3. Kansas City

Pioli, I think, will shop this hard. A deal would really shake things up a bit, but at this point in time, there's only 2 possibilities I see, and I don't like either enough for a jump to 3. If he's making a pick, it's a bit more complicated than people think. I've come around to Aaron Curry as a 3-4 ILB (I've never said he was overrated, at least, I don't think so, but rather, that he was overhyped. Quick reason being this - teams that draft a LB early tend to think that the LB hole they had gets addressed as a result of said selection and wants the LB to make the plays, rather than to put the LB in a position to make the plays. Problem is, LB is very dependent on other spots. AJ Hawk is not that much worse of a player from year 1 to year 2. The 49ers defense got better after the DL found some consistency and they managed some edge pressure. As good as Patrick Willis is, he can only impact so much from his position.)

Back on track - while I've come across to Curry, there's a ton of buzz that my spec (and others spec) on Pioli preferring to go with the trenches is valid and that Pioli, if all things equal, prefers that route. It's tough to gauge at the moment, but keep in mind that most opinions are that BJ Raji is a top 7 or 8 value, so don't rule that out. For now, though, I'll go with Curry here for this post.

So, what do we have for Seattle? Mark Sanchez, Michael Crabtree, Eugene Monroe, maybe BJ Raji, maybe Brian Orakpo. I don't love the Raji and Seattle fit. Not at all - not sold he's the guy Bradley wants. I don't know if they load up on an end here. I'd guess Orakpo as a valid darkhorse. But in this scenario, in all likelihood, it's an offensive pick. I don't think it's Crabtree here - every indication is that they are feeling confident about their Houshmandzadeh/Branch/Burleson trio, and while they would add to it, I'm not sure they do with Crabtree.

If they can't trade out, I think, in this scenario, they are looking at Sanchez or Monroe. My guess would be ... Sanchez. There, I said it. I think there's two guys this year that scouts value higher more than the general draft followers and that is Sanchez and Maclin. I actually don't love either that much, but the case for Sanchez would be that

a) They feel he's a franchise QB.
b) Hasselbeck has, I think, 2 years left. Enough time to groom Sanchez.
c) They are going to go ZBS a bit, and if Jones is fine, they can groom a guy (trade up for Beatty maybe, or draft Meredith). Health and stability were a bigger issue for them than talent.

Let's move quickly to Scenario B

1. Detroit Lions - LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest. They want an impact defensive player, and he can be utilized like Keith Bulluck was for Jim Schwartz (or Derrick Johnson for Gunther Cunningham). They feel they can find a QB later, and they also feel that, considering 4/5ths of their OL is in place, they can find a guy to groom for LT.

2. St. Louis Rams - OT Jason Smith, Baylor. Need an OT. Have an OT.

3. Kansas City Chiefs - NT BJ Raji, Boston College

I don't see the Monroe nod that is gathering some steam in the rumor mill - Albert looked good, and I don't think they want to commit that much to OT's right off the bat (Albert could be a superb RT ... he'd make the move if they went Monroe, I think, but I just don't see it). QB's are off the clock. That leaves Crabtree, Raji, Orakpo, and I'd guess defense and Raji here, but Orakpo could be a thought.

4. Seattle - QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia

In this scenario, I think it's rather easy and they go with Matthew Stafford. Two years to groom their Jay Cutler.

Scenario C

1. Detroit Lions - OT Jason Smith, Baylor.

They decide they can go QB later, and OT value is higher than LB.

2. St. Louis Rams - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia.

I'm actually wary on this nod. I don't know if they love Monroe as much as people think, but I think they love him enough. Curry is going to be a factor here, as well as Crabtree. But I wouldn't be surprised if plan B is QB.

3. Kansas City Chiefs - LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest.

The Curry/Raji debate for me.

4. Seattle Seahawks - QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia.

__________________________________________________ __

The one team that I think will ponder trading up is the one team whose fans would probably hate it (although I still believe in Harvey enough), and that would be Jacksonville for Eugene Monroe.

TAMBA is HUNGRY!!!!
03-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I think Crabtree should be the pick if he is there. Thinking long term, if a young QB has to come in, in a year or two, having TJ and Crabtree in the lineup will definitely help a young QB out and relieve some growing pains.

gpngc
03-07-2009, 05:11 PM
New developments related to #4:

Seahawks have re-signed OT Ray Willis.

While this move certainly doesn't completely rule out an OT at #4, it does slightly decreases the likelihood of such a pick IMO. The team currently has a HOF LT, a versatile RT/LT/OG, and another versatile RT/OG under contract.

Cicero
03-07-2009, 10:27 PM
New developments related to #4:

Seahawks have re-signed OT Ray Willis.

While this move certainly doesn't completely rule out an OT at #4, it does slightly decreases the likelihood of such a pick IMO. The team currently has a HOF LT, a versatile RT/LT/OG, and another versatile RT/OG under contract.

He looked pretty good in his limited action last year.

roscoesdad27
03-08-2009, 08:35 AM
my mock

1) lions....m. stafford
2) rams...a. smith
3) chiefs...a. curry
4) seahawks...e. monroe

i think you will have the choice betwen jason smith and eugene monroe come draft day...but if andre smith is available he should be the pick.

going o.t. would allow jones to play right tackle and locklear to kick inside....willis would be nice for depth because i'm not sure how much jones has left...you cant pass on a franchise left tackle in this spot imho.

Babylon
03-08-2009, 12:18 PM
You start to wonder would they take the greatest value at this pick if none of the tackles are their....

First off there are 4 top rated tackles and they have the 4th pick, not sure how they could screw that up but stranger things have happened. Also there are conservatively speaking 2 players going before too many tackles are considered and they are Stafford and Curry.

My board for them as of today would probably be:

Stafford
Andre Smith
Jason Smith
Aaron Curry

THav916
03-08-2009, 12:31 PM
In your scenario of JSmith, Monroe and Curry going, I'd take Stafford

gpngc
03-08-2009, 01:03 PM
my mock

1) lions....m. stafford
2) rams...a. smith
3) chiefs...a. curry
4) seahawks...e. monroe

i think you will have the choice betwen jason smith and eugene monroe come draft day...but if andre smith is available he should be the pick.

going o.t. would allow jones to play right tackle and locklear to kick inside....willis would be nice for depth because i'm not sure how much jones has left...you cant pass on a franchise left tackle in this spot imho.

Right idea except the rookie would have to play RT, not Jones.

Jones is still a top LT in the league- he's not moving to the right side after 10+ years of dominance on the left side.

Which begs the question- which of the tackles can play on the right side or at guard?

Andre Smith can probably play guard.
E. Monroe can probably play right tackle.
J. Smith at RT? I don't know if he'd fit there honestly.
Oher can obviously play inside but I don't know if he's really getting any consideration in the top five.