PDA

View Full Version : Cromartie on Trading block?

holt_bruce81
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2009/mar/02/cromartie-block/?chargers

The Chargers will put cornerback Antonio Cromartie on the trading block if they acquire Drayton Florence, according to league sources.

That would complete a remarkable circle for the two players. Cromartie replaced Florence as a starter in 2007.

YIKES!

Nalej
03-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Wow! Seriously? Did Cromarties play drop off that much last year???

trkaline
03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie!!!!!

aNYtitan
03-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Cromartie was so unbelievably awful last year...I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse season by a corner, ever, and this is coming from someone who has seen years and years and years of horrific secondaries in San Diego. Forget the pass rush excuse, although that's always part of it, but the guy made horrendous decisions, with zero fundamentals or physicality. Gave it deep, gave it up short, plenty of penalties, constantly talking trash, got caught NAPPING during a playoff game, constantly smiling and joking around with opposing teams after getting destroyed the entire game, the list goes on and on...

His 2007 was just as stellar as his 2008 was atrocious though, and his athleticism might be unmatched in the entire league. A 2nd would be a steal, I'd do in it a second.
I think thats a pretty incredible assessment from our resident Chargers fan.

Michigan
03-02-2009, 08:03 PM
I'd offer a 4th (if the Lions had one) but no higher.

Nalej
03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
The Pats should give up our late second for him. I'd take that chance.

The Legend
03-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I hope the cardinals trade a 2nd round pick for him. That would be cool to see them both on the same team.

the decider13
03-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd give up a 3rd or 4th for him...he had one amazing season and is incredibly athletic. It would also be good to see a young face in our secondary of old men.

But no way San Diego will want to wheel and deal with the broncos

RaiderNation
03-02-2009, 08:21 PM
How would he look as a FS? He doesnt cover well as most CB's but he is a ball hawk with good range. If he could be a good FS Id give a 4th for him no doubt

critesy
03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
i agree that he was terrible last year, always holding people and getting beat.. i think whenever i watched the chargers he got atleast 3 or 4 penalties.

CC.SD
03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I think thats a pretty incredible assessment from our resident Chargers fan.

Thanks for saving me the trouble NY. :D

Cromartie is not in a good place right now, but obviously could go either way. I'm not sure he'll get traded but I'd rather have a blue chipper on the O-line to go with a Jammer, Cason, Florence CB squad than our current setup. Then again, I'm extremely high on Cason and would love to see him start with Jammer, I think he's aces all the way.

If he can bounce back, great, but he straight up did not play hard in 2008 and that is a cardinal sin. The thought of him as a FS is a joke under any circumstance, there hasn't been a less physical secondary player since Deion.

WMD
03-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Did anyone on the Chargers D have a good year last season?

CC.SD
03-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Did anyone on the Chargers D have a good year last season?

Jamal Williams and Quentin Jammer. Cooper, Weddle and Phillips were not totally disgusting most of the time. That's about it.

the decider13
03-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah, he doesnt really fit as a FS. I mean, look at him, he is a little skinny boy. Like CC said, he isn't physical at all. What I like about him is his range and his leaping ability. If he can't get back to his pro bowl form, he would be a good nickelback with any team.

jj45
03-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Eric weddle

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I would be so happy if the Ravens grabbed him

GB12
03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Wait, I thought he was a top 5 CB. I mean he had 10 INTs in just 8 starts in 2007.

bantx
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Eric Weddle racked up stats before of our horrible run defense. But he did finish up the season quite well.

On the Cromartie note, I think this is a threaten to Cromartie that he better wake up and start playing football again. He has 2-3 years left on his contract not sure, but after one horrible season I dont see why we don't give him another shot at nickle and move Cason to #2 CB. Ever since he set the bar for that INT mark he's been playing for interceptions.

San Diego Chicken
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I think Cromartie has earned one more year to prove that last year's drop-off was due to his fractured hip. He was dreadful last year, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that the hip is what was causing him problems.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-02-2009, 09:53 PM
I think Cromartie has earned one more year to prove that last year's drop-off was due to his fractured hip. He was dreadful last year, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that the hip is what was causing him problems.

He played with a fractured hip? I don't see how, as I had a fractured hip and couldn't walk without a limp for the first few weeks, much less run and play sports at a competitive level.

Splat
03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Is any one not on the trade block this off season this is getting crazy.

JRTPlaya21
03-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Come to Washington...kidding of course.

Brent
03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Dear Scot McCloughan, please trade for him.

San Diego Chicken
03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
He played with a fractured hip? I don't see how, as I had a fractured hip and couldn't walk without a limp for the first few weeks, much less run and play sports at a competitive level.

I don't know how true it is, but that's what Cromartie said after the season.

tjsunstein
03-02-2009, 10:35 PM
I would trade Jarret Bush for him.

LonghornsLegend
03-02-2009, 11:00 PM
It was ridiculous what Brandon Marshall did to him for 4 quarters, he literally made him his ***** for 60 minutes.

D-Unit
03-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Wade Phillips was instrumental in drafting Cromartie... Wonder if Dallas will have interest in him filling our FS spot????

ccB
03-02-2009, 11:22 PM
It was ridiculous what Brandon Marshall did to him for 4 quarters, he literally made him his ***** for 60 minutes.

To Cromartie's credit, Brandon Marshall makes a lot of CB's his *****.

CashmoneyDrew
03-02-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd take him on the Titans fa sho.

MetSox17
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Wade Phillips was instrumental in drafting Cromartie... Wonder if Dallas will have interest in him filling our FS spot????

No thanks. He'd get shredded apart by any quarterback worth two cents.

BlindSite
03-02-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't think he's a bad player, he was pretty good, he just needs some better coaching and support around him. The chargers defense was pretty bad last year and it's not like he had a good situation to excel.

I wonder how he'd go in a cover 2 system.

MetSox17
03-02-2009, 11:40 PM
I don't think he's a bad player, he was pretty good, he just needs some better coaching and support around him. The chargers defense was pretty bad last year and it's not like he had a good situation to excel.

I wonder how he'd go in a cover 2 system.

And by not bad you mean terrible, and by pretty good you mean in 07.

He got beat like a dirty rug so many times last year it would make any team weary of putting him in a starting slot. I wouldn't trust him with one side of the field, to be honest, and i'd slowly work him into my rotation if i were a coach, only if he showed improvement, of course.

thebow305
03-03-2009, 12:01 AM
OMFG, I would trade one of our 2nds for him in a heartbeat!

So much untapped potential. Sure he had a bad year, but the rest of the defense was not much better. He is a true playmaker and something the Phins need badly in their secondary!

PLEASE PARCELLS GET HIM!!!

Antonio Cromartie, Gibril Wilson, Yeremiah Bell and Will Allen would be a naughty secondary! ;)

Texas Homer
03-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Can he play FS?

I'd welcome him on the Texans.

TitleTown088
03-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Can he play NT? I'd like him on the Packers for a 1st...

stephenson86
03-03-2009, 08:46 AM
id take him no doubt about it, finny would make him his *****

DeathbyStat
03-03-2009, 08:47 AM
I'll give you a steelers second rounder

Kase1
03-03-2009, 08:48 AM
OMFG, I would trade one of our 2nds for him in a heartbeat!

So much untapped potential. Sure he had a bad year, but the rest of the defense was not much better. He is a true playmaker and something the Phins need badly in their secondary!

PLEASE PARCELLS GET HIM!!!

Antonio Cromartie, Gibril Wilson, Yeremiah Bell and Will Allen would be a naughty secondary! ;)

Never thought THAT guy would be mentioned in a good 2ndary, the Will & Will experiment went VERYsour in NY

Kase1
03-03-2009, 08:53 AM
He's only 24 and had 1 bad season, Id LOVE to give him a shot in our 2ndary either as a Safaety or Nickelback then we'd be able to slide Terrell Thomas to Safety

Oh man Cromartie on NYG...... I think I just creamed myself, LOL

Meta4
03-03-2009, 08:55 AM
From day one I thought Cromartie was highly overrated. 2007 was not an accurate assessment of what he can do on the field. It was a fluke. He has good range and ball hawk skills but absolutely no fundamentals. His cousin on the other hand is a phenom.

vikes_28
03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Vikes could use a good Nickelback. But I don't know if he would be any good in a cover 2 D.

LonghornsLegend
03-03-2009, 09:03 AM
His cousin on the other hand is a phenom.

How bout we give him more then one year too, people were crowning Antonio after 2007 too...Although DRC is alot more fundamentally sound right now then Antonio ever was, but I want to see him for another year or 2 to see if he follows it up or if he just tries to go for the INT everytime like it's flag football.

Meta4
03-03-2009, 09:15 AM
How bout we give him more then one year too, people were crowning Antonio after 2007 too...Although DRC is alot more fundamentally sound right now then Antonio ever was, but I want to see him for another year or 2 to see if he follows it up or if he just tries to go for the INT everytime like it's flag football.

First year in the league and hes already more fundamentally sound then AC thats saying something. Not to mention his range and ball hawk skills are just as good if not better then his cousins. I guarantee if you ask all the GM's in the league who they would rather have on there team 75% would go with the rookie DRC.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-03-2009, 09:21 AM

You think Cromartie could play FS? LOL, the guy is Deion Sanders 2.0 in terms of how he plays the game.

LonghornsLegend
03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
First year in the league and hes already more fundamentally sound then AC thats saying something. Not to mention his range and ball hawk skills are just as good if not better then his cousins. I guarantee if you ask all the GM's in the league who they would rather have on there team 75% would go with the rookie DRC.

I never disputed that, but I said before you want to make bold statements lets see DRC with 2 or 3 seasons under his belt...After Antonio's season in 2007 everyone was all over his nuts and saying how good he was, not of course it's easy to say someone is so much better on a down year.

Right now probably 100% would take DRC but that's because Cro is coming off a terrible season so it's not much of a question right now.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Why are people asking if he can play FS? Sure, i guess he could, but i don't think that is an ideal situation for him. He's a CB. He had a good, but highlight driven 2nd season, and an absolutely terrible 3rd year where i would guess the spotlight got to his head.

With that said, i would be willing to take a risk on him. He has great ability, has the size/speed, and can make plays. Sure he's not physical, but as long as he's adequate in that regard, and picks up his mental game again, he can be a very good corner. I'm not jumping off him yet. I was never on like some people who hailed him as the best CB and all that, but now it is the total other way, and people jump as far away as possible. He's still got all the same ability that made him a real solid corner who made game changing plays 2 seasons ago. With his head on straight, he is a good corner. Classic example of someone realizing that INTs = big payday & media darling. As soon as a CB starts trying for INTs, they don't come. He needs to get back to basics, and let his physical gifts bring the INTs to him. Don't jump too far off the horse.....I expect a year in between the previous 2 next season.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
03-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I think if he had the same pass rush as he did 2yrs ago he wouldn't be on that block. Put him on a team with good pass rush and he is beast.

BaLLiN
03-03-2009, 02:54 PM
I think if he had the same pass rush as he did 2yrs ago he wouldn't be on that block. Put him on a team with good pass rush and he is beast.

or you could put him on dallas with all the other showboats :p jaykay

if the chargers improve their defensive line this will answer your question whether they want to keep Antonio Cromartie.

Alot of teams have those gamble cbs. They can be stars or they can be dunces. If he falls into a situation where he can do that, good for him, but this is the NFL, most teams don't like that.

Eagles brought in Samuel, not because he's amazing at covering, he can't cover tall guys; well Cromartie is just dumb sometimes. He still knows how to get a pick.

DeAngelo Hall, total jack***, he is so dumb its not funny. All the athletisism in the world cant make you a great cornerback, its what lies between the ears that completes the greats.

From my perspecitive i see only one guy that can be a shutdown corner and still get the picks, and that is Darrelle Revis, damn you JETS!!!!

fenikz
03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Ill take Cro in AZ

THE CRO CRO SHOW

He would be able to cover #2 WR adequately and with him, DRC, Rolle, and Wilson, everybody is a threat to take any pick to the House

our late 2nd would be the max i'd give up though

bolts2388
03-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Cro is not going any where.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2009/mar/03/smith-says-cromartie-staying/?chargers

Smith: Cro staying
By Kevin Acee

Posted: 12:18 p.m. Tuesday March 3, 2009

Even if Drayton Florence returns to the Chargers, Antonio Cromartie won't be leaving.

So says Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith.

League sources had said the Chargers were quietly floating the idea of putting Cromartie on the block if they signed Florence.

"He's not being traded," Smith said today.

Asked Monday about the idea of trading Cromartie, Smith declined to confirm or deny the possibility.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Hmm, that brief clip does pretty much nothing to assure that he isn't going anywhere.

"He's not being traded" - haven't heard something like that before....those guys never lie!!

'Smith declined to confirm or deny the possibility' - That doesn't seem like something that would leave the door open at all!

The team looking at Florence - another corner? Jammer will play. Cason looked good. Cromartie had a poor season. I know, lets try to bring in a not very cheap 4th corner!

Sorry, but all signs point to, yes, it is still a possibility. This does nothing to make people think otherwise....
I didn't click the link, but just by what highlighted, it doesn't make sense. I don't see him being traded, but i will say that it is definitely somethign that has been talked about within the organization and the possibility is being explored.

ElectricEye
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Damn. If he really is on the block, the Patriots should be all over it and then some.

the decider13
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
well now that florence signed with the Bills, I imagine that this trade won't happen.

FlyingElvis
03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Can he play NT? I'd like him on the Packers for a 1st...
bwahahaha!! good one.

Cro is not going any where.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2009/mar/03/smith-says-cromartie-staying/?chargers

yeah, no player is ever being traded - until they get traded.

Way too much talent to give up on, imo. I'd love to see him play for a team that shows discipline from top to bottom. He'd look good in silver/blue/red (or red & white throwbacks) :)

The Unseen
03-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Drayton Florence ***** up everyone's world. Cannot trust that guy.

Young Nasty Man
03-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Another very interesting move by the Bills. Curious to see if they land Coles. I'll officially not like Laverneus Coles for possibly the rest of my life. fact.