PDA

View Full Version : 4 Simple things to do with Cleared Cap Room

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2009, 03:38 PM
After cutting Jason Taylor we have some cap room and we all know well Vinny isn't going to use it all. Here are 3 simple things which would make us contenders.

Sign Ray Willis: He will come relatively cheap granted we don't overpay him, lol. He is young and has the tools to be a good starting RT in the league. Between him and Heyer Tackle shouldn't have to be addressed in the draft anymore.

Sign Angelo Crowell: Local guy, but an absolute beast. He would make our LB core one of the best in the league with him London and Rocky, also HB is great backing up all 3 LB spots.

Extend Carlos Rogers: I know it sounds crazy but I think he's proved enough. Might as well extend him now while his price is cheaper rather than wait until his price tag increases. He, Deangelo, and Smoot would give our secondary along with Hort and Landry stability for the next 5 years at least.

Resign Phillip Daniels: Daniels will be solid. He won't get any offers so we can get him close to the veterans minimum. Demetric Evans is better but wants starting money and I don't want to give 4+ million a year to a guy like him. I'd rather start Chris Wilson if we have to.

If we make these 4 plausible moves our only draft need would be DE in the draft and could even entertain taking a skill player.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
03-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I can agree with a lot of your post.

Ray Willis would be a good...cheap pick up for us...But I dont think that means we stray away from a Tackle sometime in THIS draft...For one You can never have too much depth, and this draft has plenty of tackles that have loads of potential....Not only that...But who knows how much longer Samuels has playing at this level...We dont want an Orlando Pace situation to happen to us...

Go after Crowell...I would love that...But doesnt he play on the weakside?? Do we know for sure he can play on the strongside??

EXTEND CARLOS ROGERS IMMEDIATELY...That is a MUST...He is on the verge of being elite

Phillip Daniels can go...And if Evans wants starting money...He can go as well...Chris Wilson needs playing time anyway...

DiG
03-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Sign Ray Willis: He will come relatively cheap granted we don't overpay him, lol. He is young and has the tools to be a good starting RT in the league. Between him and Heyer Tackle shouldn't have to be addressed in the draft anymore.

Totally agree with you here. My friend and I were talking this morning about hopefully signing Willis. Looked great in Seat this year when he got the starting role. Obviously knows the system well.

Sign Angelo Crowell: Local guy, but an absolute beast. He would make our LB core one of the best in the league with him London and Rocky, also HB is great backing up all 3 LB spots.

If we could afford Crowell then I'd be ALL for it. Doesnt seem to have been much interest in him much this offseason which amazes me. Cato June and Morlon Greenwood could be options too.

Extend Carlos Rogers: I know it sounds crazy but I think he's proved enough. Might as well extend him now while his price is cheaper rather than wait until his price tag increases. He, Deangelo, and Smoot would give our secondary along with Hort and Landry stability for the next 5 years at least.

Do what it takes Dan. It won't be cheap but to lock up Hall and Rogers for the next 5-6 years would be a beautiful thing. We wouldn't have to worry about the secondary for a long long time which would allow us to focus on other areas.

Resign Phillip Daniels: Daniels will be solid. He won't get any offers so we can get him close to the veterans minimum. Demetric Evans is better but wants starting money and I don't want to give 4+ million a year to a guy like him. I'd rather start Chris Wilson if we have to.

Meh no thanks. I agree that I don't want Evans at that price tag but there has to be better options than Daniels. I mean if we pay him vet min and hes the backup then fine but I sure as hell dont want him to be the starter.

Canadian_draft_fan
03-03-2009, 05:55 PM
After cutting Jason Taylor we have some cap room and we all know well Vinny isn't going to use it all. Here are 3 simple things which would make us contenders.

I wouldn't be against this but what I really like the Skins to draft one of the top OTs in this draft. Smith (Andre), Oher or Britton with a trade down would be my dream sceanrio.

Sign Angelo Crowell: Local guy, but an absolute beast. He would make our LB core one of the best in the league with him London and Rocky, also HB is great backing up all 3 LB spots.I'm down with this. An alternative might be Kevin Burnett from the Cowpukes. He doesn't fit in a 3/4. A bit more risky but he should be cheaper.

Extend Carlos Rogers: I know it sounds crazy but I think he's proved enough. Might as well extend him now while his price is cheaper rather than wait until his price tag increases. He, Deangelo, and Smoot would give our secondary along with Hort and Landry stability for the next 5 years at least.Agree totally.

If we make these 4 plausible moves our only draft need would be DE in the draft and could even entertain taking a skill player.You lost me here. DE is a need but I don't need want Daniels at his age. We need to get younger. Hunter Smith (P) has been rumoured to come to DC. I'd be in favour of that.

By the way Warpath says we have $13.4M in cap space:
http://www.thewarpath.net/salary-cap-central/27715-current-redskins-salary-cap-status-2009-a.html
Apparently these guys are pretty accurate on the cap.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't be against this but what I really like the Skins to draft one of the top OTs in this draft. Smith (Andre), Oher or Britton with a trade down would be my dream sceanrio.

I'm down with this. An alternative might be Kevin Burnett from the Cowpukes. He doesn't fit in a 3/4. A bit more risky but he should be cheaper.

Agree totally.

You lost me here. DE is a need but I don't need want Daniels at his age. We need to get younger. Hunter Smith (P) has been rumoured to come to DC. I'd be in favour of that.

By the way Warpath says we have $13.4M in cap space:
http://www.thewarpath.net/salary-cap-central/27715-current-redskins-salary-cap-status-2009-a.html
Apparently these guys are pretty accurate on the cap.

Hopefully that is accurate. And yeah if we can save almost a mil in cap by cutting Thrash, please do so. I was in favor of keeping him last season because he was a special teams stud especially downing balls, but now he does nothing on special teams and especially as a receiver so please cut him loose.

DiG
03-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Hopefully that is accurate. And yeah if we can save almost a mil in cap by cutting Thrash, please do so. I was in favor of keeping him last season because he was a special teams stud especially downing balls, but now he does nothing on special teams and especially as a receiver so please cut him loose.

strip yo we gotta finish our mock fool. shoot me a pm with your email. i have some changes to some picks based on recent FA activity. ill email you what we got so far.

treyskins
03-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Cleared some cap room............ and now its all gone quiet.
That money must be burning a hole for snyder but no imminent deal for a L.B. or D.E. or O.T.
Must be waiting for the price to drop now the marquee players are gone.
How shrewd.

Unless they are making a run for Peppers and giving up multiple picks.
I hope not.
Might need our 2010 first rounder for a Q.B. and there should be some good ones out there.

DiG
03-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Might need our 2010 first rounder for a Q.B. and there should be some good ones out there.

http://monkeyinmymind.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/colt-brennan-redskins.jpg

says hi.

toddmlazarchick
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
http://monkeyinmymind.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/colt-brennan-redskins.jpg

says hi.

I honestly wish we had an open QB competition in training camp. maybe it would light a fire under his butt so he knows he isnt 100% safe.