PDA

View Full Version : Once Again

awesomesteveh
03-04-2009, 12:39 AM
I couldn't find it on google, or in any faqs, so how many teams does it take to inquire about you to make it to the combine? I don't see why this is such an ignorant question when there's nothing to be found on this site or the main combine site(nflcombine.net)

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Good question. I checked too, but can't find anything. My guesses are it would need to be either:
A) Unanimous, but that's unlikely because I doubt there are 300 or so players every team wants to see.
B)A majority. 17 teams seems reasonable.
C) One. But that's unlikely because there would be way too many prospects.

Do they have a specific number they need? Because if they do, it could be the top x most wanted players. But then how would they break ties? Maybe the people running the combine pick the top 300?

awesomesteveh
03-04-2009, 01:28 AM
I think it's somewhere around 12 to 13(Least that's what I remember my teammates here at Mizzou told me) but I'm not totally sure....

bored of education
03-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Did you not get invited?

Solomon
03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
From a 2008 Tony Pauline article:

"In past years a committee of a half dozen people chose who would be invited to the combine. This committee was made up of general managers and combine officials. The process changed this year. The officials of the combine initiated a list of the players they thought were worthy of an invitation to Indianapolis. They then sat down with representatives from the leagues 32 teams and whittled the names down to the final list. Wiggle room was left to offer a few late invitations for deserving players who may have been left off the initial list."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/02/20/combine.guide/

It seems like a fairly flexible process.

On a sidenote it pisses me off when players receive a combine invite then show up and choose not to workout in front of the scouts, preferring their pro day. They are just taking away a combine spot from other players who would benefit more from the exposure.

If players say they aren't going to work out (like Andre Smith) they should be sent home and invites should be extended to other guys like the Frantz Josephs, Jason Williams' and the Trimane Goddards out there.

brat316
03-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I know one of the Temple players Terrance Knighton, got invited after his senior bowls games, not THE senior bowl but other ones.