PDA

View Full Version : MJD thinks he should be highest paid RB?

Splat
03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/04/jones-drew-makes-his-pitch-for-a-payday/

Jaguars running Maurice Jones-Drew, who has his tongue in his cheek so often that it’s hard to tell when he doesn’t (he claims that he’s training in Egypt, running the pyramids), made his case for a big-money deal on Wednesday’s Dan Patrick Show (http://www.danpatrick.com/).

Asked whether Jones-Drew believes he should be the highest-paid running back in the league, Jones-Drew said that, yes, he should be.

Um, really?

Though he has been a touchdown machine, with 34 scores in only three seasons, Jones-Drew has never rushed for 1,000 yards in his three NFL seasons.

Bottom line? The highest-paid backs in the NFL are and will continue to be the shrinking handful of guys who aren’t splitting touches on first and second down with another tailback. Jones-Drew has never been asked to do it, and until he shows that he can, there’s no way that he can be among the highest-paid at the position.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-04-2009, 10:11 AM
I agree, he shouldn't be paid that much. TDs is one thing, but get some yards to back it up. He obviously has the skill set but to the be the highest paid RB is alittle extreme.

Young Nasty Man
03-04-2009, 10:12 AM
There is only one running back in the league that deserves a contract that puts him at the top: L.T.

He may not even deserve it anymore becuase of his age, but MJD? I think this is a case of a little thing called Cockiness....

tylerb929
03-04-2009, 10:17 AM
MJD is good, but not even close to Adrian Peterson (who deserves to be, and probably will be at some point, the highest paid RB).

Vikes99ej
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
He can be, but he sure as hell won't be the best.

brat316
03-04-2009, 10:24 AM
-Would MJD take less money to assure that a teammate stayed with the team? Jones-Drew says yes if he was Kurt Warner who has already been paid throughout his career. He compares his salary to eating at Subway and he's hoping to upgrade to McDonald's.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

really I think McD would be a down grade to Subway, eat fresh vs Eat preprocessed food.

abaddon41_80
03-04-2009, 10:25 AM
MJD is a funny guy.

bored of education
03-04-2009, 10:26 AM
The things this guy and Marshawn says is epic all the time. Those two should have a show.

Vikes99ej
03-04-2009, 10:28 AM

really I think McD would be a down grade to Subway, eat fresh vs Eat preprocessed food.

What a ******* moron. McDonalds high quality than Subway?

Splat
03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
The things this guy and Marshawn says is epic all the time. Those two should have a show.

They just need a catchy title and it will be a hit.

gsorace
03-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Um...of course he does, what was he supposed to say?

Someone asked him a question, it's not as if he just came out and said it.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Someone hasn't heard of the 5 dollar footlong, apparently.

Shahin
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM

They're both pretty bad, man.

Mr. Hero
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
The jags should trade their first round pick for marshawn and than just re-name themselves the jacksonville dreds.

FlyingElvis
03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Would any starting RB ever say they shouldn't be the highest paid? And if they did, would you want that guy to be "The Guy" for your team?

MJD will finally get his chance to be a true #1. My money is on him succeeding and showing that maybe he should be paid as the best.

My head, on the other hand, doubts anyone overtakes AP as the best back in football.

The Unseen
03-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Keak must've prepped him for the interview.

bored of education
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Keak must've prepped him for the interview.

Todd Haley DOES own my life.

LonghornsLegend
03-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Look at the way the question was asked, of course he'll say that, it's not like he just came out with it on his own, I'd expect most backs of his caliber to say the same thing even though he knows he won't get that type of money.

Brent
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Why wouldn't he say he should be the highest paid? He's got every right to demand a lot of money. If the Jags wont pay him, someone else eventually will.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't see how he could respond any differently, to be honest. 'No, i shouldn't be'
Next question: 'How come?'
Does he talk about any of his shortcomings? About how great the other players in the league are? Nothing he says is going to get him more money going down this stream. You say yes, show that you think you are the best, and continue to produce on the field that makes someone pay you the big bucks.

Do i think he should be? No. I doubt he does either, but he can't really say anything otherwise.
Classic garbage question by a reporter. The forced response leads to something like this.....which is nothing...

Addict
03-04-2009, 12:31 PM
so a midget made a joke. Can we call him Verne Troyer than?

senormysterioso
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
The second contract for a running back is pretty much his last best chance to make a lot of money. He'll be close to 30 by the end of it and it's tough to get a team interested in paying you when you hit the big three zero as a running back. He's just politicking. He's getting something like $325,000 which is nothing to cough at, but not enough to live off considering he could get injured and not really have any marketable skills just like that.

Menardo75
03-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Until he is the NFL's clear cut number one back he shouldn't be the highest paid.

BandwagonPunditry
03-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Doesn't really matter. The kid's still in a fast-food joint.

JonasBlane
03-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Until he is the NFL's clear cut number one back he shouldn't be the highest paid.

League doesn't work that way. NFL salaries go up every season, so it's not always necessarily the best player in the league who is highest paid, it is usually the most recently signed elite QB. So say MJD becomes a FA in 2010, and there are no other elite running backs who become free agents in the previous 2 years, it is highly likely he would become the highest paid RB in the leauge. And I think that might actually be the scenario. Michael Turner is elite now, but he wasn't viewed as so when he signed his contract. AP would become a FA the next season I believe which would then make MJD's run as the highest paid RB short lived.

senormysterioso
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
League doesn't work that way. NFL salaries go up every season, so it's not always necessarily the best player in the league who is highest paid, it is usually the most recently signed elite QB. So say MJD becomes a FA in 2010, and there are no other elite running backs who become free agents in the previous 2 years, it is highly likely he would become the highest paid RB in the leauge. And I think that might actually be the scenario. Michael Turner is elite now, but he wasn't viewed as so when he signed his contract. AP would become a FA the next season I believe which would then make MJD's run as the highest paid RB short lived.

Exactly, Ben Roethlisberger was the highest paid player right now, followed by Jared Allen, Larry Fitzgerald, and...wait for it...JaMarcus Russell. Michael Turner was the highest paid running back and Tommy Kelly was the highest paid defensive tackle. Are any of them top at their position? You could make an argument for Fitzgerald and maybe Allen I suppose, but it's all about going on the market at the right time with the right circumstances.

PoopSandwich
03-04-2009, 02:37 PM
There is only one running back in the league that deserves a contract that puts him at the top: L.T.

He may not even deserve it anymore becuase of his age, but MJD? I think this is a case of a little thing called Cockiness....

There's this guy that plays running back for the Vikings his name is Adrian Peterson you may have heard about him.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 07:25 AM
The jags should trade their first round pick for marshawn and than just re-name themselves the jacksonville dreds.

No, it'd be the "Dreded" RB duo...

abaddon41_80
03-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Personally I don't even think MJD is an elite back. So far his yards per carry have gone down every year with more and more carries. If he ever does have to carry the load with like 275 carries per season I think he will be lucky to break 4 yards per carry. I like him a change of pace/split workload/spot starter but from what I have seen he doesn't have what it takes to be a workhorse.

vikes_28
03-05-2009, 08:22 AM
The highest-paid backs in the NFL are and will continue to be the shrinking handful of guys who aren’t splitting touches on first and second down with another tailback.

Except for Adrian Peterson. :D

Xonraider
03-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm sure Keak agrees with MJD

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
03-05-2009, 10:20 PM
If you were asked "Do you have the worlds biggest schlong?", what would you say? If he says he should be enough maybe someone will pay him big.

RaiderNation
03-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Is he even a top 10 RB in the league? We will see when he is actually the #1 RB on his team

JonasBlane
03-06-2009, 02:34 AM
This past season wasn't a very good year to judge MJD on as their OLine was really beat up. We'll have to see how he performs this season, as the premier back and a(hopefully for them) healthy O-line.

fear the elf
03-06-2009, 09:14 AM
They're both pretty bad, man.

this statement is far more rediculous than mjd being the top paid back in the league. 5 DOLLARS FOR A FOOTLONG! I'M NOT SAYING IT'S A 5 STAR BISTRO, BUT JESUS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?