PDA

View Full Version : Tony Sheffler on the Block...

Bronco in UT
03-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Hey all,

I'm getting the impression from my Broncos that Tony Sheffler is on the block, anyone with input on what he is worth? (draft picks) For anyone who isn't familiar, he is a great receiving TE but a sub-par blocker. Also, who would be potential suitors for him? Thanks, GO BRONCS

PACKmanN
03-04-2009, 11:52 AM
The Eagles should consider sending their 4th round pick for him.

Crickett
03-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey all,

I'm getting the impression from my Broncos that Tony Sheffler is on the block, anyone with input on what he is worth? (draft picks) For anyone who isn't familiar, he is a great receiving TE but a sub-par blocker. Also, who would be potential suitors for him? Thanks, GO BRONCS

Potential suitors for him would include IMO

Buffalo
Cleveland
Detroit (hey, why not? They need just about everything)
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Carolina (unlikely)

Bronco in UT
03-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm just trying to get a relative understanding of what he is worth on the market. People in Bronco land tend to WAY overvalue current players on the roster. He is injury prone, and really doesn't fit into McDaniels' system.

TRJ997
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
The Bucs gave up a 2nd for Winslow. I think you are looking at a 3rd or 4th for Scheffler.

Bronco in UT
03-04-2009, 12:06 PM
The Bucs gave up a 2nd for Winslow. I think you are looking at a 3rd or 4th for Scheffler.

If we could get a third I would be ecstatic....One more pick to dedicate to the DL

senormysterioso
03-04-2009, 12:08 PM
do the broncos have anything behind sheffler?

Crickett
03-04-2009, 12:09 PM
If my team needed a pass catching TE, I'd trade a third for Schefler in a heartbeat.

Bronco in UT
03-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Not really, Daniel Graham is the starter and has already played in the Patriots' system. He is the ideal TE for that system. I would suspect they could entertain grabbing another blocking TE via FA or late in the draft....

Diehard
03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm just trying to get a relative understanding of what he is worth on the market. People in Bronco land tend to WAY overvalue current players on the roster. He is injury prone, and really doesn't fit into McDaniels' system.

You are 100% correct. BTW, your handle looks rather familiar... are you posting over at Broncomania?

As I said over there, a late 3rd - 4th would be a decent exchange for the Broncos.

Bronco in UT
03-04-2009, 12:20 PM
You are 100% correct. BTW, your handle looks rather familiar... are you posting over at Broncomania?

As I said over there, a late 3rd - 4th would be a decent exchange for the Broncos.

That is me, I have to come over here often to get a "sensible" approach to fee agency and other topics. Some people over there too often post too much crap before getting the facts straight. Bye the way, how do you feel about us potentially moving Sheff? I really think he is a good player, but McD's offense is predicated on WRs versus TEs.....

senormysterioso
03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Not really, Daniel Graham is the starter and has already played in the Patriots' system. He is the ideal TE for that system. I would suspect they could entertain grabbing another blocking TE via FA or late in the draft....

I forgot about Graham, he probably will have a bit of a renaissance under McDaniels

Bronco in UT
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
I forgot about Graham, he probably will have a bit of a renaissance under McDaniels

Yeah I was a little disappointed given the size of his contract when we brought him in. However, I have completely changed my tune on Graham and he is actually a really good TE.....

d34ng3l021
03-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I wonder if the Falcons look at him. LJ Smith is visiting Detroit and I dont know anymore if he will be a Falcon. While the Falcons need a more well balanced TE, it wouldn't hurt to have a great receiving threat over the middle like Scheffler.

the decider13
03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I like scheff a lot, and I really don't want to see him go...but I would be happy if we got a third for him. A 4th would be alright I guess. But I think graham is gonna be great this year.

Diehard
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Bye the way, how do you feel about us potentially moving Sheff? I really think he is a good player, but McD's offense is predicated on WRs versus TEs.....

IIRC, his offense is the spread version of the Erhardt-Perkins system... there's plenty of latitude to use more of the base system and run 2 TE sets if he wants to.

The bigger issue is blocking. Scheff just doesn't fit the mould. Wierdly enough (considering how pass-happy the Pats have been), the roots of McDaniels' system are very much smash-mouth, so the TE is expected to be a good blocker. Combine that with a reputation for being fragile and I can see why he'd be on the trade block.

Any team running a West Coast offense (or some derivative) should take a very close look at him, as he can do a lot of damage in the right situation.

Bronco in UT
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
IIRC, his offense is the spread version of the Erhardt-Perkins system... there's plenty of latitude to use more of the base system and run 2 TE sets if he wants to.

The bigger issue is blocking. Scheff just doesn't fit the mould. Wierdly enough (considering how pass-happy the Pats have been), the roots of McDaniels' system are very much smash-mouth, so the TE is expected to be a good blocker. Combine that with a reputation for being fragile and I can see why he'd be on the trade block.

Any team running a West Coast offense (or some derivative) should take a very close look at him, as he can do a lot of damage in the right situation.

Sheff is particularly suited for getting up the seam QUICKLY. He is stellar in that role (when healthy), which opens up the crossing routes for receivers that can get some YAC. He would be well suited for a team running the west coast....

ATLDirtyBirds
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I wonder if the Falcons look at him. LJ Smith is visiting Detroit and I dont know anymore if he will be a Falcon. While the Falcons need a more well balanced TE, it wouldn't hurt to have a great receiving threat over the middle like Scheffler.

This is what I was thinking. I could definitely see this move now that it seems we aren't going to get LJ.

d34ng3l021
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
This is what I was thinking. I could definitely see this move now that it seems we aren't going to get LJ.

I don't see it though. His blocking skills are inadequate and blocking is very important for our scheme.

D-Rod
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
How bad is Scheffler's blocking? Obviously it's difficult to pinpoint the blocking of a TE for another team.

If his blocking is non-existent, then I doubt the Falcons go for it. On the other hand, there aren't really any well-rounded TEs in the draft, except in the 1st, so if it's for a 3rd or 4th then I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea.

twista6002
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM

chuuuuuuuch

Geo
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Meh, Scheffler can't even stay healthy.

Plus this is a good TE class.

Go_Eagles77
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
We already have someone just like him in Brent Celek.

the decider13
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Meh, Scheffler can't even stay healthy.

Plus this is a good TE class.

That's why I don't mind parting with him for a third or fourth. Can prolly get a better TE for the system with the pick.

Mr. Hero
03-04-2009, 02:01 PM
I could see the giants sending a fourth for him, he'd be a great compliment to the bossman and we could teach him to block. Plus we have a **** ton of picks and have pretty good depth at most positions.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't see it though. His blocking skills are inadequate and blocking is very important for our scheme.

Smith is probably just as bad and we had interest in him.

Bronco in UT
03-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Not sure if this is just hearsay, but I just read on the Broncos forum (different than this one) that the Broncos and Eagles have tentatively worked something out. They (ESPN) expect the deal to be done later this evening or early tomorrow....

GB12
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM
No way could you get a third rounder. He's a one deminsional 26 year old tight end. At the best you're looking at late 4th-5th.

Go_Eagles77
03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Not sure if this is just hearsay, but I just read on the Broncos forum (different than this one) that the Broncos and Eagles have tentatively worked something out. They (ESPN) expect the deal to be done later this evening or early tomorrow....
McNabb for Cutler? lol

But seriously I'm curious to see if it's true, but a message board isn't really a reliable source, especially if they don't have a link.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess your saying it has to do with Scheffler? If so I'm not too happy.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I'd Hate to see him go, him and Cutler developed some great chemistry their rookie years. I think he was really misused even when healthy. He should have been out there more than Graham.

Bronco in UT
03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
McNabb for Cutler? lol

But seriously I'm curious to see if it's true, but a message board isn't really a reliable source, especially if they don't have a link.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess your saying it has to do with Scheffler? If so I'm not too happy.

Yeah no link as of yet, someone "heard" on ESPN that they were in "heavy trade talks" so I could be totally off point on this one.....

Go_Eagles77
03-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah no link as of yet, someone "heard" on ESPN that they were in "heavy trade talks" so I could be totally off point on this one.....
How about A 3rd round pick for Scheffler and Dawkins? lol

Bronco in UT
03-04-2009, 02:50 PM
How about A 3rd round pick for Scheffler and Dawkins? lol

Honestly, I was soooooo elated to hear that the Broncos "swindled" BDawk from your Eagles! 35, or not, that dude is a BEAST and he will bring some much needed attitude and toughness to the pussies on our defense. I know you don't want to hear this, but it is nice to see all the Eagles fans complaining about how you let him go.....

Cicero
03-04-2009, 04:35 PM
This would make sense. He's a piece of Shanny's offense that doesn't really fit for McDaniels.

PACKmanN
03-04-2009, 04:59 PM
you would think the Broncos front office would get coaches who can build a season with the pieces that are on the team. Wasn't Waston an below average blocker when he came into the league? I don't understand why Tony is on the block because he can't block, that's dumb.

BroncosFan15
03-04-2009, 06:25 PM
If we could get a 3rd or 4th for tony i would hope they would take it. He seems to never play more than 2 games in a roll decent and he goes away during big games. Also he is hurt a lot trade him!

the decider13
03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Graham does drop a lot of passes (a couple at the end of games that cost the game) but he isn't all bad. He was a decent blocker, but wasn't much for a receiving tight end.

I would like to hope he would regain some usefulness with McD because he is a player that McD is familiar with. Before Watson, Graham was the tight end for the patriots. And he did pretty good.

I do find it odd that after the Cutler debacle, they want to quickly ditch a player he had great chemistry with.