PDA

View Full Version : Reese looking to draft Brian Leonard?

GiantRutgersFan
03-05-2007, 09:45 PM
There hasnt really been much talk about a RB in comparasion to its need for us.

Dominic Rhodes and Jamal Lewis are the only proven RBs that are available and Lewis is likely to re-sign with Baltimore and isn't really a fit. Rhodes came in for a visit, but we didnt get it done.

Green, Henry, Mcgahee, Thomas Jones, etc are all signed, and a trade for Mcgahee seems unlikely.

I think Reese might be positioning to draft Brian Leonard. Besides the obvious fact that it fills our need for a second back, it also gives us a pass catcher out of the backfielder to make up for Tiki. And beyond that, it would be an extremely popular pick that the fans would love.

I think Reese will select Leonard in the draft partially because of the fans (and its a perfectly sound selection also). It would give a good impression to the fans and boost Reese's own popularity.

What do you think about this?

BoltHype
03-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Michael Turner is still here in SD. Would Giants fans give up a first for him?

BigBlue58KiperIII
03-06-2007, 12:32 PM
No we wouldnt give up a first for Turner who would be splitting time with BJ

hugegmenfan
03-06-2007, 02:15 PM
There hasnt really been much talk about a RB in comparasion to its need for us.

Dominic Rhodes and Jamal Lewis are the only proven RBs that are available and Lewis is likely to re-sign with Baltimore and isn't really a fit. Rhodes came in for a visit, but we didnt get it done.

Green, Henry, Mcgahee, Thomas Jones, etc are all signed, and a trade for Mcgahee seems unlikely.

I think Reese might be positioning to draft Brian Leonard. Besides the obvious fact that it fills our need for a second back, it also gives us a pass catcher out of the backfielder to make up for Tiki. And beyond that, it would be an extremely popular pick that the fans would love.

I think Reese will select Leonard in the draft partially because of the fans (and its a perfectly sound selection also). It would give a good impression to the fans and boost Reese's own popularity.

What do you think about this?

STOP! please stop! ur incredibly biased about brian leonard and its misrepresenting the giants needs and wants please stop!
leonard is a waste of a pick imo
first of all- not all giants fans are rutgers fans, most have absolutely no allegiance to rutgers, and i do not think he would simply pick a player to appease a few rutgers alum/fans of the jersey area
he is not quick enough and not the type of elusive back we need to complement jacobs- id much rather get a guy like irons, booker, hunt, walker, brandon jackson or most preferably sign rhodes
yes he has good hands, but so do other backs that satisfy more of a need

scottyboy
03-06-2007, 02:33 PM
hugegmen fan- leonard ran faster than hunt, and is overall better at RB than hunt, and jackson.(esp. hunt) we wont get him becuz that would be a luxury pick, he would fit in nicely with his blocking and hands at RB to help eli, but he wont be there for us in round 2, we cant afford to lose picks and trade up, and we have more pressing needs at LB and most importantly CB

GiantRutgersFan
03-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Im not gonna deny that I am biased. But Leonard definitely fits our needs. Even the mock draft on this very site has him going to the Giants over all the guys you mentioned.

hugepunch
03-07-2007, 09:57 AM
i rather have kenny irons but big leonard would be a nice pick too.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
20 would be awfully high for Leonard, and I don't see him being there for their 2nd round pick right now.

ricky bobby
03-07-2007, 10:20 AM
We don't need two power backs.

GiantRutgersFan
03-07-2007, 02:21 PM
We don't need two power backs.

Leonard has underrated speed. He's not a power back like Jacobs is, although he has power. I think he would fit in great, especially as a pass catcher

Forenci
03-07-2007, 02:54 PM
I'd much rather take Lorenzo Booker in the third or even fourth. He's more of a scat back and can catch the ball just as well as Leonard can. He'd make a much better combination than Jacobs/Leonard would. I would be happpy with Darius Walker or Antonio Pittman as well, as we can get them a lot lower.

We'd have to give away Draft picks to move up high enough to grab him in the second, and we're going to need the picks we have.

Sorry, but this pick will not happen, unless Ernie Accorsi comes back.

eacantdraft
03-08-2007, 07:50 AM
I hate college homers who try to pass their guys off on pro teams. I want the best guy available. I don't care if he goes to Bo Didley Tech as long as he can play.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-08-2007, 08:13 AM
If we drafted BL, I'd get a boner.. BL is a stud and character guy we can use on this team. His versatility alone can be a huge asset for us.

bigbluedefense
03-08-2007, 08:26 AM
I like Brian Leonard the player, but realistically, I don't see a spot for him on this team. Especially since he'd require a high investment. We have bigger fish to fry than a RB/FB hybrid that has no true position that we would have to create plays for.

I still think he'd be a great Hback in a 2 TE scheme. He just has no spot on our team worthy of that high of an investment thats all. I understand he's a local guy and what not, but it he just doesn't fit here. Not with our needs, not with our offensive system. Love the player, hate him on our team.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I like Brian Leonard the player, but realistically, I don't see a spot for him on this team. Especially since he'd require a high investment. We have bigger fish to fry than a RB/FB hybrid that has no true position that we would have to create plays for.

I still think he'd be a great Hback in a 2 TE scheme. He just has no spot on our team worthy of that high of an investment thats all. I understand he's a local guy and what not, but it he just doesn't fit here. Not with our needs, not with our offensive system. Love the player, hate him on our team.

That's fine, that's what coaches do. They innovate and create ways to use players. Bill B is the master at that. He would be a great H back, can spell Jacobs on carries, and block for him as well. Good hands out of the backfield, and would be a huge upgrade over Finn. He also brings more to the table as well.

I would disagree I think he fit in perfectly on this team, and what realistically would happen is the Eagles may get him, and than we'd have to worry about him, and Westbrook coming out of the backfield. I think he would be a great asset on this team, and brings tremendous value to this offense.

bigbluedefense
03-08-2007, 08:35 AM
That's fine, that's what coaches do. They innovate and create ways to use players. Bill B is the master at that. He would be a great H back, can spell Jacobs on carries, and block for him as well. Good hands out of the backfield, and would be a huge upgrade over Finn. He also brings more to the table as well.

I would disagree I think he fit in perfectly on this team, and what realistically would happen is the Eagles may get him, and than we'd have to worry about him, and Westbrook coming out of the backfield. I think he would be a great asset on this team, and brings tremendous value to this offense.

Theres no question that he can help our team and help our offense by adding another weapon. My issue is, we can't take him so high in the draft with bigger fish to fry. Its just not something we can do. We have more important needs. We have enough playmakers on offense, its time for Eli to step up and use them to the best of his ability. We need improvement on the other side of the ball, and I think our day 1 picks should ultimately be concentrated on defense. Of course the board can change at any moment given falling players etc, but Im just saying, we should approach this draft with more defensive emphasis.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Theres no question that he can help our team and help our offense by adding another weapon. My issue is, we can't take him so high in the draft with bigger fish to fry. Its just not something we can do. We have more important needs. We have enough playmakers on offense, its time for Eli to step up and use them to the best of his ability. We need improvement on the other side of the ball, and I think our day 1 picks should ultimately be concentrated on defense. Of course the board can change at any moment given falling players etc, but Im just saying, we should approach this draft with more defensive emphasis.

Yeah i can see your point of view, but if the team sees value in his versatility than even than I'd take him. Plus i'd say that's what Reese and TC like.. Notice how Kiwi was a DE, but COULD have potential as a SAM, Moss is a wr, that can probably KR and PR, WIlk played DE, and 3 LB positions, while BC played DE, and DT as well. CHarlie P is a hybrid S/CB, and WHimper was a project LT/TE. Notice the versatilty among all our picks. That's more of a reason, sticking with this theme of versatility that BL could be taken by us. His value in different spots, may off set the bigger fish to fry. That bigger fish may do one thing, so in essence BL, the smaller, fish could provide as much value because of his versalility.

We do have playmakers, but we used them incorrectly.. We have plax and Shockey, and dont know about Moss yet or Jacobs. Someone like BL would give Eli even more targets especially of down the field isnt there, now you have guys like Jacobs and BL, that can be an effective weapon. Basically player utilization can make this smaller fish, as big as the bigger fish, because of value. Yea the need may not be there, but the value he can provide can over shadow the need.

But I do like the defensive emphasis, but i still think when value like that comes across, you cant be too fixated in one philosophy.

bigbluedefense
03-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah i can see your point of view, but if the team sees value in his versatility than even than I'd take him. Plus i'd say that's what Reese and TC like.. Notice how Kiwi was a DE, but COULD have potential as a SAM, Moss is a wr, that can probably KR and PR, WIlk played DE, and 3 LB positions, while BC played DE, and DT as well. CHarlie P is a hybrid S/CB, and WHimper was a project LT/TE. Notice the versatilty among all our picks. That's more of a reason, sticking with this theme of versatility that BL could be taken by us. His value in different spots, may off set the bigger fish to fry. That bigger fish may do one thing, so in essence BL, the smaller, fish could provide as much value because of his versalility.

We do have playmakers, but we used them incorrectly.. We have plax and Shockey, and dont know about Moss yet or Jacobs. Someone like BL would give Eli even more targets especially of down the field isnt there, now you have guys like Jacobs and BL, that can be an effective weapon. Basically player utilization can make this smaller fish, as big as the bigger fish, because of value. Yea the need may not be there, but the value he can provide can over shadow the need.

But I do like the defensive emphasis, but i still think when value like that comes across, you cant be too fixated in one philosophy.

Ugh, tell me about it. Player utilization is the biggest flaw of our team, and with the coaching staff still in place, it could rear its ugly head again this year.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Ugh, tell me about it. Player utilization is the biggest flaw of our team, and with the coaching staff still in place, it could rear its ugly head again this year.

If that happens I will be pissed.. Use our damn players correctly and efficiently!

eacantdraft
03-08-2007, 09:57 AM

The Giants have been to fixated with offense the past few seasons. That idiot EA felt he could build a 99 Rams type of offense in New York. That is not going to work. Meanwhile except for the D line, our defense has sunk to low levels.

Defense is the trademark of the Giants. Not a bunch of prima donna ball hogs clamouring for the ball from a metrosexual QB.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-08-2007, 10:01 AM
The Giants have been to fixated with offense the past few seasons. That idiot EA felt he could build a 99 Rams type of offense in New York. That is not going to work. Meanwhile except for the D line, our defense has sunk to low levels.

Defense is the trademark of the Giants. Not a bunch of prima donna ball hogs clamouring for the ball from a metrosexual QB.

Are you lockhart by chance? ANd our last first round picks have been defense... Kiwi, Webster(first pick for us, 2nd rounder), Willy Joe, and than Shockey.

Forenci
03-08-2007, 10:04 AM

You make a very good point and if Leonard was to fall to us in the second round, I wouldn't be upset if we took him there. I don't believe that to be the case though, I think he'll be high second round, Tampa may go for him. We desperately need all of our picks this year to reload on the defense and offensive line. We'd be giving up a lot to grab him in the high second round.

Another point was mentioned that our coaching staff has not game planned for certain players to take advantage of their abilities. I fear this would happen if we got Leonard. TC would stick him in at fullback and that would be that.

I mean, no matter how much versatility the guy has, it's not going to help us if the defense gives up huge plays at the end of the game when our offense has done just fine. I can only remember us losing a couple of games because the offense was complete crap, but I remember many that were due to the defense giving up plays.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-08-2007, 10:24 AM
You make a very good point and if Leonard was to fall to us in the second round, I wouldn't be upset if we took him there. I don't believe that to be the case though, I think he'll be high second round, Tampa may go for him. We desperately need all of our picks this year to reload on the defense and offensive line. We'd be giving up a lot to grab him in the high second round.

Another point was mentioned that our coaching staff has not game planned for certain players to take advantage of their abilities. I fear this would happen if we got Leonard. TC would stick him in at fullback and that would be that.

I mean, no matter how much versatility the guy has, it's not going to help us if the defense gives up huge plays at the end of the game when our offense has done just fine. I can only remember us losing a couple of games because the offense was complete crap, but I remember many that were due to the defense giving up plays.

Well i'd rather have the player, because if our coaching staff sucks at player utilization than shame on us. But if the player is here, and if the system and coaches change perhaps the use of the player would be better utilized. One example is Troy P.. Under Lewis he was avg, but under LaBeau he truly became a stud.

eacantdraft
03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Are you lockhart by chance? ANd our last first round picks have been defense... Kiwi, Webster(first pick for us, 2nd rounder), Willy Joe, and than Shockey.

And all of those players were chosen before most people thought they should be. Only Kiwi showed flashes.

News to you. Shockey was not a defensive player and you conveniently left out Eli who cost us the 1st pick in the 2005 draft.

Reese would be stupid to draft Leonard just because he goes to Rutgers. You pick the best players in the NFL, not where they go to college. Who cares where they went to college.

You fangirls are laughable.

ricky bobby
03-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Rumors of Giants interest in TJ Duckett. I doubt he'll get out of Buffalo (he's visiting them soon), because of the money they invested in FA on that O-line. I think Duckett would be a great fit in Buffalo, but if he makes it to the giants, that would be great. I know we need a change of pace back, but if we bring in another beast, that defense will take a beating.

Damix
03-08-2007, 02:28 PM
This is why eacantdraft is the most ignorant poster on the site, anyone who doesn't take his ridicously pessimistic view on things is labeled a fan girl. He has the mind of a 3 year old and doesn't understand that just because you don't think someone is horrible doesn't mean you think they are great either.

He conveiently forgets to mention that Accorsi was a .500 GM, which is average, not the worst GM in the league, not the worst GM ever. He made some bad decisions, and some good ones, just like every other average GM in the league.

He could do us a favor and walk in front of train, what a pathetic excuse for a fan.

ricky bobby
03-08-2007, 02:35 PM
This is why eacantdraft is the most ignorant poster on the site, anyone who doesn't take his ridicously pessimistic view on things is labeled a fan girl. He has the mind of a 3 year old and doesn't understand that just because you don't think someone is horrible doesn't mean you think they are great either.

He conveiently forgets to mention that Accorsi was a .500 GM, which is average, not the worst GM in the league, not the worst GM ever. He made some bad decisions, and some good ones, just like every other average GM in the league.

He could do us a favor and walk in front of train, what a pathetic excuse for a fan.
UH OH. eacantdraft made a powerful enemy.

Damix
03-08-2007, 02:42 PM
UH OH. eacantdraft made a powerful enemy.

I'm tired of his crap posts

Forenci
03-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Eh, I'm not sure about Duckett to be honest. I'd much rather have a speedy back who can be lined up in the slot. While Darius Walker is exactly speedy, I would love to see him on our roster. Although I personally would love to grab Lorenzo Booker if we can get him at good value.

Brian Leonard will not happen unless for some cataclysmic reason he ends up dropping to us in the second. Look for Tampa to take him the second. Gruden loved him at the Senior Bowl and they could use someone to help Cadillac Williams out. Clearly we will not take him in the first.

ricky bobby
03-08-2007, 03:07 PM
We are looking for a FB. We were looking a Mughelli before he recieved an insane contract. That means we aren't 100% satisfied with Finn. If Leonard gets back up to 235-240, we should look into drafting him in the 3rd round. Other than that, i'd say no to Leonard also.

eacantdraft
03-08-2007, 03:42 PM

There are plenty of GM's who have better than a .500 record. EA also had the propensity of taking players higher than they should have been and these players never panned out.

The guy was a total buffoon. There were reasons why the Giants were his third team. Totally glad that he is gone.

Just look at what Reece is doing shows you what he thought of many of his former boss's picks. They reaked of suckage.

Damix
03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
And there are plenty of GMs that are worse then 500, league average.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10042827

As soon as April gets here, the running back conversations will turn to draft prospects like Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Michael Bush, Tony Hunt, Kenny Irons, Lorenzo Booker and Brian Leonard. With teams like the Texans, Jets and Broncos already resolving their running back situations, some very good backs in the draft are going to drop and are going to be tremendous values in the second and third rounds. The money investment in those rounds is going to put more pressure on the free-agent backs and lessen the compensation a team would give in a trade for a back.

Green Bay, Cleveland, Baltimore, the New York Giants, Tennessee, Oakland and Pittsburgh, among others, have to be thrilled at the possibilities to fill their running back needs now that the market is coming to them. If Thomas Jones can be traded for a swap of second-round picks after a season with 1,364 total yards, you can get a bargain in this market very shortly.

hugegmenfan
03-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Eh, I'm not sure about Duckett to be honest. I'd much rather have a speedy back who can be lined up in the slot. While Darius Walker is exactly speedy, I would love to see him on our roster. Although I personally would love to grab Lorenzo Booker if we can get him at good value.

Brian Leonard will not happen unless for some cataclysmic reason he ends up dropping to us in the second. Look for Tampa to take him the second. Gruden loved him at the Senior Bowl and they could use someone to help Cadillac Williams out. Clearly we will not take him in the first.

ya i do not think duckett is the right fit for us- hes similar to brandon jacobs in the power back mold where as we need a speedy complement to him. I too like lorenzo booker a lot

joepas171
03-08-2007, 07:41 PM
There will probably be good value in the draft at Rb so we'll get a good one. Not that we need one tho. I want Jacobs getting at least 75% of the carries. He's gonna be the man for the forseeable future IMO.

hugegmenfan
03-08-2007, 07:45 PM
There will probably be good value in the draft at Rb so we'll get a good one. Not that we need one tho. I want Jacobs getting at least 75% of the carries. He's gonna be the man for the forseeable future IMO.

I think whoever we get in the draft, it should play out to be a 65-35 with jacobs gettin the most- if we get rhodes may b a 60-40 type situation

joepas171
03-08-2007, 08:07 PM
I think whoever we get in the draft, it should play out to be a 65-35 with jacobs gettin the most- if we get rhodes may b a 60-40 type situation

I'll live with that too.

eacantdraft
03-09-2007, 07:46 AM

The Giants aint getting Rhodes.

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 08:06 AM
The Giants aint getting Rhodes.
QFT. Finally somebody that agrees.

eacantdraft
03-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Why would Rhodes come to NY to be a part timer when he could sign with Buffalo or some other team and be a starter?

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Why would Rhodes come to NY to be a part timer when he could sign with Buffalo or some other team and be a starter?
I doubt he'll be starting anywhere, but we still don't want him. He'll probably end up backing up Lamont Jordan in Oakland. Or brought into Buffalo to complete with a rookie for the starting job.

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 09:26 AM
I doubt he'll be starting anywhere, but we still don't want him. He'll probably end up backing up Lamont Jordan in Oakland. Or brought into Buffalo to complete with a rookie for the starting job.

No team will have him as an uncontested starter. Buffalo signed Chris Brown remember.

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Nevermind it looks like Rhodes signed with the Raiders. Only 2 years 7.5 million dollars. He is well worth that to me. I think Reese dropped the ball on this one.

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 09:59 AM

I called it.

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Well Lamont might get cut, so he might not be backing up Jordan.

GiantRutgersFan
03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Yea for that little money, Reese's pieces definitely screwed that one up....

Forenci
03-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Yea for that little money, Reese's pieces definitely screwed that one up....

I'm actually not terribly upset we didn't get a free agent to spell Jacobs. None of them were really the speedy back who could catch out of the backfield. Plus we'll save money by drafting a rookie.