PDA

View Full Version : Laveranues Coles agrees with Bengals

sbh15
03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Coles has agreed to a four-year deal with the Bengals, John Clayton for ESPN.com reports.

Spin: Coles and the Bengals have agreed to the general terms of the deal (four years, $28 million total), but still have to work on the language of the contract and the guarantee clauses.

per ESPN, solid move to replace Housh

vidae
03-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I like this move by the Bengals. I've always been a fan of Coles.

Thecollegedropout
03-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Chad Johnson vs Laveranues Coles in a battle of "Give Me The Damn Ball 2009".

I'll say this much about Coles though....When he isnt complaining about something, this guy leaves it all on the field and will take nasty hits to help his team. Bengal fans should like the guy on the football field its just he may be a bit too vocal at TC and what not.

He must have really wanted a more "secure" deal though to get out of his past deal with NYJ to join Cincy....

Young Nasty Man
03-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Thank god its not Buffalo. Coles will be a great receiver next to Chad Johnson and he is the type of player that works his tail off. The guy is only 5'10 but plays like he is 6'2. Great move by the Bengals and a solid deal considering. I think both sides will be pleased with this.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
As soon as I think I do not need to worry about the bengals passing as much they sign him. Owell at least it isn't Housh.

holt_bruce81
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm a fan of Coles, he's a very good replacement for TJ Whosyourmamma :)

TheBuffaloBills
03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
That seems like too much money.

holt_bruce81
03-04-2009, 04:14 PM
That seems like too much money.

7 million a year? I don't think that sounds like to much at all.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
nice pickup for Cincy. Not as good as Housh but good enough as a short term answer.

themaninblack
03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Very happy with this move by the Bengals. The money is a non issue really and if we can get a good 2 or 3 years out of him it will be great. Should help the younger guys as well.

RaiderNation
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
yes!!! This means Crabtree just needs to fall past KC and no1 trade up for him and he will be ours!

Cicero
03-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Interesting...

Bengals fans would you rather have Coles out there or would you rather Jerome Simpson or Andre Caldwell be given a chance to shine?

themaninblack
03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Well, Jerome is probably another year away and Caldwell will get plenty of chances I'm sure. One thing TJ never really did was be much of a mentor to the younger guys and Coles can hopefully help the two along. Very happy with this signing though.

thenewfeature06
03-04-2009, 04:54 PM
yes!!! This means Crabtree just needs to fall past KC and no1 trade up for him and he will be ours!

I COMPELTELY AGREE

MooshooGawd
03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I like the move.

With TJ leaving, I was a bit concerned about the question marks at the WR position. Chad is coming off his worst season, can he rebound? Could Chris Henry get his life together and be a number 2? Should we really trust Andre Caldwell after only two good games against teams like the Chiefs and Browns? Plus Jerome Simpson had all of 1 catch last season.

Coles instantly eases those concerns. Chad will have a legit proven target on the other side of him, Henry can stay in that 3rd WR role that he plays so well, and Caldwell can come in and take teams by surprise.

The money is a bit more than I would like, but when you only win 4 games I guess you have to overpay sometimes.

It also means that they hopefully won't flirt with taking Crabtree if he's there. They can just focus on taking Monroe, Andre Smith, Orakpo, Raji or trading back.

ThePudge
03-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Interesting...

Bengals fans would you rather have Coles out there or would you rather Jerome Simpson or Andre Caldwell be given a chance to shine?

Remember, Chad Johnson will be a Free Agent in 2010. So, with that being said, if either player is ready to assume a starting job, they will have to wait only a year. This gives the team to use Andre Caldwell still as an asset on Special Teams and gives Simpson a much needed extra year to develop. You can expect to see Caldwell in a more expansive role this coming season, but it's also nice to know he won't exactly be rushed or forced into the slot. I like the move personally. I do feel the team paid a lot, but the team also has a lot, so it doesn't worry me. Finally, they are focused on getting things done.

BroadwayJoe10
03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
It's not the money that worries me, it's the number of years. Coles is on the wrong side of 30 and is another concussion away from being sidelined for a while.

When he isn't whining about money, his life-partner chad pennington, he is one hell of a gutsy player, who plays hurt and leaves everything out on the field. I was leary when the jets gave him his salary guaranteed and that was only for two years, I would definitely be worried about a 4 year contract.

That having been said, he is a great compliment to CJ and will probably give two good to very good years playing with palmer.

BroncosFan15
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I just dont get why anybody would want to go to the Cincy but with that being said lets see if Carson can put together a decent season and chad johnson plays to his level

skinzzfan25
03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I think they have more important needs. Coles was bitching with the Skins after he got 80+ receptions that he didn't get the ball. I doubt the two egos of himself and Chad can co-exist in the same locker room.

ThePudge
03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
I think they have more important needs. Coles was bitching with the Skins after he got 80+ receptions that he didn't get the ball. I doubt the two egos of himself and Chad can co-exist in the same locker room.

T.J., Chad, and Chris Henry co-existed so I'm sure they'll be fine.

D-Unit
03-04-2009, 07:04 PM
One less WR off the market that could've helped the Eagles or Giants. Phew...

03-04-2009, 07:07 PM
One less WR off the market that could've helped the Eagles or Giants. Phew...

Kenny Britt will soon haunt you in your dreams. Oh, it's coming.

D-Unit
03-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Kenny Britt will soon haunt you in your dreams. Oh, it's coming.
Yeah... bring on any rookie Wr you want... that's like the worst way to address your #1 Wr position.

03-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah... bring on any rookie Wr you want... that's like the worst way to address your #1 Wr position.

I'm not a fan of either team, but who said he had to be a #1 receiver? :rolleyes:

D-Unit
03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm not a fan of either team, but who said he had to be a #1 receiver? :rolleyes:
You did. #2 WRs don't "haunt" people.

03-04-2009, 07:25 PM

St. Louis is still in play as a possible destination, imo. I wouldn't rule them out.

PalmerToCJ
03-04-2009, 08:38 PM

TJ had plenty of ego, it won't be any more of a problem than he was, TJ was just a lot quieter about it which I respect him for.

I really like it given that we didn't get TJ. I'm not comfortable with Caldwell or Simpson as our #2 this year.

ThePudge
03-04-2009, 11:10 PM
"Cincinnati paying a 31-year-old receiver $7 million per season provides seven million reasons to believe the team is not high on young receivers Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell. The Bengals spent a second- and third-round draft pick in 2008 on Simpson and Caldwell, respectively, and is essentially admitting the draft errors."

per ESPN's James Walker.

hahahaha ESPN hates the Bengals when they struggle yet when they succeeded in 2005, they loved them. Walker's comments above are proof of pure ignorance.

Jerome Simpson is still very raw, and not ready to assume a starting role in 2009. Still, the club is extremely high on Andre Caldwell and that's no secret. Why rush a young player into the starting lineup when you don't have to?

PalmerToCJ
03-04-2009, 11:35 PM
You cannot trust Henry, ever.
I just cannot trust 2nd year WR's. Our highest pick, Simpson, was drafted on potential. Either way, our #2 WR would've been Henry/Simpson/Caldwell, not very comforting at all.

We're plenty under the cap, they've wanted to run some 5 WR sets in the past but haven't had the players, this gives us a chance for that at least. Not to mention Coles is a proven commodity, 800 yards is a very reasonable expectation for him next season and that's exactly what we need.

Believe me, our FO has massive problems but sometimes people just bash them because they assume every move they make is bad.

Crickett
03-05-2009, 12:13 AM
This would have been a great deal. If it had been 4 years 14-18 million. But is wasn't. It was 28 million and he just isn't the receiver he once was.

Iamcanadian
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
As far as I'm concerned Palmer has more to do with their receiving records than their overall talent. Coles will probably match TJ's totals or come close because he has Palmer throwing him the ball. I suspect TJ may struggle with a new QB throwing him the ball.

Menardo75
03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
T.J. will be great in Seattle it's a perfect fit for him. Solid signing by the Bengals, I deep down though am still feeling that Chad Johnson could be a draft day trade.

fear the elf
03-05-2009, 03:06 PM
"Cincinnati paying a 31-year-old receiver $7 million per season provides seven million reasons to believe the team is not high on young receivers Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell. The Bengals spent a second- and third-round draft pick in 2008 on Simpson and Caldwell, respectively, and is essentially admitting the draft errors."

per ESPN's James Walker.

hahahaha ESPN hates the Bengals when they struggle yet when they succeeded in 2005, they loved them. Walker's comments above are proof of pure ignorance.

Jerome Simpson is still very raw, and not ready to assume a starting role in 2009. Still, the club is extremely high on Andre Caldwell and that's no secret. Why rush a young player into the starting lineup when you don't have to?

i don't know if there is a single person working for espn that i respect... maybe the tmr when the fantasy season rolls back around.

Crickett
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
i don't know if there is a single person working for espn that i respect... maybe the tmr when the fantasy season rolls back around.

Kenny Mayne? Peter Gammons? Former WWE Raw general manager Jonathan Coachman?

ThePudge
03-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Kenny Mayne? Peter Gammons? Former WWE Raw general manager Jonathan Coachman?

I like Jaws, Chris Berman, Kiper, and Trey Wingo. Wingo was particularly fun to mess with on the draft's second day a year ago, the guy put down 11 Diet Cokes, 4 Waters, and even a Vanilla Bean Mochaccino with only two bathroom breaks in six hours. Impressive stats for a guy who is regarded as a wild card over at ESPN. A funny guy who takes heckling well and returns it.

nepg
03-05-2009, 03:48 PM
This just shows how awful the Bengals are as an organization... Let one of the few class-acts on the team go, rather than F-tagging him (****, trade his ass if you want), then signing a far lesser player with attitude history for nearly the same contract that Housh got... Just awful. They just screwed themselves out of a 3rd comp pick to boot.
________
Melrose herbal collective melrose (http://www.dispensaries.org/)

fear the elf
03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
I like Jaws, Chris Berman, Kiper, and Trey Wingo. Wingo was particularly fun to mess with on the draft's second day a year ago, the guy put down 11 Diet Cokes, 4 Waters, and even a Vanilla Bean Mochaccino with only two bathroom breaks in six hours. Impressive stats for a guy who is regarded as a wild card over at ESPN. A funny guy who takes heckling well and returns it.

i hate the way jaws talks for some reason, chris berman has been a joke for years now, kiper ok but i think he is a little high on himself. i do like trey though. so i guess i should say i don't respect 98% of espn.

ThePudge
03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
This just shows how awful the Bengals are as an organization... Let one of the few class-acts on the team go, rather than F-tagging him (****, trade his ass if you want), then signing a far lesser player with attitude history for nearly the same contract that Housh got... Just awful. They just screwed themselves out of a 3rd comp pick to boot.

The Bengals had to tag Shayne Graham, the club's most accurate kicker of all time. His 2.48 tag is relatively cheap and gives them time to work out a longer term deal that could allow the former Pro Bowl Kicker to finish his career a Bengal later down the line.

Coles is a bit younger and has greater career production despite never playing with a quarterback nearly as talented as Carson Palmer. T.J. had a big attitude issue and was more detrimental in the locker room, not in the media, than Chad Johnson. After the first week of the season he said "We can't run. We can't pass. We suck." He stuck with that attitude the entire year. This offseason, he and his agent played games with teams notably the Eagles, Bengals, Vikings, etc. They made up places that he was going to visit.

I do believe we overpaid for Laverneus, but such is the state of the market this year. He is penciled in to be our #2 WR, so it's not like the team broke the bank for a #3 or nickel back. Coles is going to be a very productive Bengals player over the next couple years whether you like it or not. He can pick up where T.J. left off, in the slot. Coles is faster, quicker, and shows more effort as a blocker despite not being quite as consistent, reliable, or tough after the catch.

As far as attitude goes, he was disgruntled in Washington, and also New York after the team let go a good friend and player he had developed chemistry with, Chad Pennington. He was upset Chad was not given a chance and Brett Favre could come in, because of his name, not working with the team at all, and assume the starting role. Maybe he is easily irked, he is a wide receiver. As far as how Chad and Coles will work together, Laverneus referred to Chad as "Batman" and himself as "Robin." He acknowledges the fact that he is the #2. T.J. caught 100 balls here as the #2 and you have to assume Coles will have that same opportunity from the slot.

Due to Stacy Andrews and T.J. both being signed, we would have had two 3rd Round comp. picks. By your logic, because we would have gotten a second third round compensation pick next year we shouldn't have picked up a productive, valuable veteran to assume a starting role for the next two-three years. His deal will cancel out with Stacy's (both 7 mil), leaving us with a compensation pick for Houshmanzadeh.

Man what a stupid move by a stupid organization, who, for the first time in I can't remember how long, has actually shown the willingness in the offseason to get things done.

-They wanted Benson back - made that happen for 2 years 7 mil,
-They wanted Crocker back, made that happen for 4 years 10 mil,
-They didn't want to play T.J.'s game for T.J.'s price, let Seattle pay,
-They made sure their most accurate Kicker of all-time returned,
-They wanted a backup QB, got one in J.T. O'Sullivan
- And they wanted a productive veteran that fits the offensive scheme to take T.J.'s torch, as to not rush Andre Caldwell into the starting lineup and out of the Kick Returner spot, they brought in Coles for less (1 year/12 million less).

PalmerToCJ
03-05-2009, 08:28 PM

I loved what TJ brought on the field but it's clear you don't know what you're talking about by calling him one of the 'few class acts'. There have been several write ups on how TJ and Chad try to run the team, he throws fits and wouldn't show up for anything before training camp. I will say, the one thing that puts TJ ahead of a lot of WR's is at least he generally kept his antics in the locker room.

Kase1
03-06-2009, 12:28 PM
A step in the right direction for Cincy, but they gotta get one of the big time WRs in this years draft as well, cause their run game doenst scare a JV team

Still LC was a good WR in NY for the 2nd rate Jets, and I was always a fan. Hope he does good in Cincy

Kase1
03-06-2009, 12:29 PM
I loved what TJ brought on the field but it's clear you don't know what you're talking about by calling him one of the 'few class acts'. There have been several write ups on how TJ and Chad try to run the team, he throws fits and wouldn't show up for anything before training camp. I will say, the one thing that puts TJ ahead of a lot of WR's is at least he generally kept his antics in the locker room.

Wait, TJ and Chad DIDNT run that team??!?!?!?!?!?

Cause thats what it looked from an outsider's POV