jnew76
03-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Just reported on ESPN by Michael Smith

Buttered toast sonic
03-04-2009, 11:21 PM
god help Mike Crabtree if TO Ends up in Oakland

Harmonykor
03-04-2009, 11:30 PM
This is the dumbest move ever made by jerry jones! I doubt they will get someone to replace him! roy williams,patrick crayton,miles austin means we will be worst then we were last year!

Paul
03-04-2009, 11:52 PM
This is the dumbest move ever made by jerry jones! I doubt they will get someone to replace him! roy williams,patrick crayton,miles austin means we will be worst then we were last year!

Seriously, I mean a healthy Jason Witten? pft. Martellus Bennett going into hiss 2nd year? **** that. A three headed monster in the backfield? Who cares. Losing that one player will makes us a below .500 team. :rolleyes:

Mr. Goosemahn
03-04-2009, 11:56 PM
PER ROTOWORLD: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=718&sport=NFL
PER WIKIPEDIA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Owens

cdub11
03-04-2009, 11:57 PM
wish they had fired Jason Garrett

Staubach12
03-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Well, we had one player with heart. Now we have none. ******* awesome.

Modano
03-05-2009, 12:41 AM
**** me :(

DancingMonkey
03-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Not to become a one-trick pony, but I just threw up in my mouth again.

On a side note, this might be the best move in the long term though.

pocketaces
03-05-2009, 06:28 AM
All I can say, is Washington and the Giants have gotten better this off season, we have gotten worse. MUCH WORSE. This is a terrible move IMO

leroyisgod
03-05-2009, 08:22 AM
It'll be interesting to say the least. I'm kind of on the fence about this decision. Part of me wanted to ride it out for one more year and the other half wanted to just cut ties.

bigmac076
03-05-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't like the move, simply because we didn't get anything for him. I think the only good that may come out of this is the fact that this is Tony Romo's offense now and it may relax him not having the "Oh I better get TO his passes" In the back of his mind all game long. That may be one of the reasons for all the INTs. Or it may not fix anything, Im trying to find some good out of this though.

gafyobop
03-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Finally a smart move from the GM suite. He choose his young QB, a new future Coach, and Miles Austin over a declining prima donna. Got my popcorn ready!

What a glorious day.

Macarthur
03-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Good move. This move just made us a better team.

You do realize that since Thanksgiving 07, excluding the SF game, TO has averaged 5 catches for 50 something yards?

He is a declining player and not anywhere worth $9 million. Just wait too see what the rest of the league thinks of him now.

FinChase
03-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I like the move. Yes, he definitely had his moments, but if you look objectively, you'll notice those moments were getting fewer and farther between. If he finds another team, he'll probably still have a few big games, but he's just not good enough anymore to justify the headaches he creates. I think Jones' biggest mistake was giving him that extension last year. My guess is that this was the cause of the hold up in releasing him. If they hadn't done that, I think he'd have been gone right after the season ended.

And yes, in the short term we probably took a step backward, but long term I think it's a good thing. I guess we add WR to Dallas' offseason needs now. God, I wish we were in a position to go after Maclin!

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
03-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I will take him in Baltimore

thule
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30903

We have two admins and a team leader...there is nothing wrong with noting team news in the team thread. Having one thread pertaining to the team works because you don't get other team people coming in saying he can come here...blah blah blah...this is just team based...nothing wrong with that.

leroyisgod
03-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Honestly, I don't really see this as us taking two steps back at receiver. In 4 WR spreads we will be using Williams, Crayton, Austin and Witten. We've got speed and and good hands with this 4some. I do feel we need to find a versatile speedy guy in the draft, but it's not like we have to reach for one.

JJJ888
03-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Wanted to weigh in on TO's release:

1. One thing that came to thinking about the release this morning, was the tremendous amount of respect Jerry Jones has for TO. He didn't have to release him right now. He could've waited until late May, when other teams had already filled their needs through free agency and the draft, and then put a top wide receiver out on the market. But Jerry's respect for Terrell meant that he released him now so that TO could get paid and have a shot at going to the right team for him.

2. This signals a change in the Dallas Cowboys' offense. I think, more than anything, the ability Tashard Choice showed late in the season was the biggest factor in TO's release. With three super-solid backs in the fold, the Cowboys now have a chance to be a pound-the-ball running team, but still have dynamic weapons in the air when they need them. When TO's around, you simply can't do that, because you need to feed him the ball. Plain and simple. I'm no sure whether I like the change, but it may reduce Tony Romo's turnovers. I'd like to see a stat of the number of interceptions Romo threw when targeting Owens vs. other players this past season.

3. This makes the tendering of Sam Hurd at a 2nd round value make more sense. It would be tough to pay 5 receivers that significant an amount of money.

4. People are talking about Miles Austin stepping up next year, and I think he will have to, but I'm intrigued with the possibilities this brings for Isiah Stanback. If he can live up to his potential (and TO's release was the only way we'd be able to evaluate that) he could be an incredible weapon.

5. Any team that signs TO will be getting a real bargain. I guarantee that he has an incredible season next year. Getting released for him is just a motivator, and he will play in 2009 with a vengeance.

Finally, despite my sentiments above, I was shocked to see this go down. TO was one of my favorite players, if not my favorite on the team. He was almost like that classic underdog story (although this underdog story seems a little perverted). I would've liked to see him retire a Cowboy.

At least we won't have to hear as much ridiculous media coverage any more (I've always believed that TO is the second most common subject/person on the news--at least until the presidential campaigns--behind George Bush).

Good luck to Terrell wherever he goes--I hope he wins a Super Bowl some day. I think he deserves it.

D-Unit
03-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Nice post JJJ. I liked TO a lot too. Had a lot of heart and got a bad rap by the media and the public.. ...and even some teammates here (privately).

I think something that is being looked over is that his release will really open up good things for Martellus Bennett. I think he will emerge big time.

Macarthur
03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Nice post JJJ. I liked TO a lot too. Had a lot of heart and got a bad rap by the media and the public.. ...and even some teammates here (privately).

I think something that is being looked over is that his release will really open up good things for Martellus Bennett. I think he will emerge big time.

I think the "TO had heart and wanted to win" stuff is way over used and misguided.

Look, the dude wanted to win, but only when he got his numbers. What did he do after one of the biggest wins of the year in Washington? He bitched about his numbers.

He doesn't have heart - When was the last time he made a tough catch across the middle? How many times did he come up short of a first down? How many times did he give up on routes?

Just because a guy says all he wants to do is win and yells and screams a lot doesn't mean he has heart.

And I agree 100% with your Tellus comment. I think he can become a big time threat. And lets not forget, he came out of Texas A&M as a reputation as a devistating blocker. A year or two in a real S&C program, and he will be even more of a physical freak.

Macarthur
03-06-2009, 11:52 AM
For those of you upset about the Owens release, I think this article puts it quite well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvQo.C5W.OPLPPSPMJcqQdtDubYF?slug=jc-cowboysroles030509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

D-Unit
03-06-2009, 12:03 PM
There is an honest part of me that says TO was in decline and was getting selfish about not getting the ball enough.

I'm ready to move on and not look back.

Macarthur
03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
There is an honest part of me that says TO was in decline and was getting selfish about not getting the ball enough.

I'm ready to move on and not look back.

Yeah, I think the eptiome of what TO can bring is the play that I'm sure we all remember against Philly.

He made a double move, the safety bit, Romo pumped and they hit a beautiful 70 something yard TD. He's still got that. However, those are not the types of things that build consistecy in an offense. Frankly, I think Austin has the speed to make that type of play a couple time a year.

What TO just didn't bring anymore was the tough 7 yard catch in traffic. That's the type of stuff that seperates good teams from teams like Pitt.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
03-07-2009, 12:49 AM
i am not gonna complain about this or the roy williams drop, either. But we have a whole lot of dead money, now.

Modano
03-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Per rotoworld:

"[Critics] are trying to make [Owens] into something he's not," Barber said. "I felt the same way like everybody else, but then I met the man. Once you know who he is, he's a great guy." Barber later called the move a "shock.