PDA

View Full Version : SS Roy Williams released

yno88
03-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Reported about 10 AM CDT on Sportscenter.

MetSox17
03-05-2009, 10:07 AM
No surprise there.

M.O.T.H.
03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. I dont want ass prints on my new door. :D

703SKINS202
03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Finally this scrub is gone.

FuzzyGopher
03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
If no one signs him he will be the first player to ever make the Pro Bowl as a free agent.

Bucs_Rule
03-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Has a worse player ever been selected to so many pro bowls?

stephenson86
03-05-2009, 10:38 AM
curiously whats the case with roy williams why is he so terrible (cant watch any cowboys games) i know he cant cover for toffee but he can hit well and isnt the slowest guy in the game...could he be an undersized cover 2 LB?

D-Unit
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Predicted this last night. Sweet. Jerry cleaning house is actually a pretty beautiful thing to witness.

M.O.T.H.
03-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Roy looks completely lost in coverage and he may be a good "hitter" but, he doesnt wrap up consistantly and he'll reach for the horse collar still, several times per game. He takes bad angles and remains completely stationary when playing in zone coverage. While he can still be stout against the run...his deficiencies in all other aspects do not make up the difference. His actual football IQ is very low.

M.O.T.H.
03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Predicted this last night. Sweet. Jerry cleaning house is actually a pretty beautiful thing to witness.

Yes you did. Now we'll have to see if Ellis is next. I'm not so sure he gets let go, though. Another move, I'd be happy with regardless but, he can still help us as a rush end on passing downs.

D-Unit
03-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes you did. Now we'll have to see if Ellis is next. I'm not so sure he gets let go, though. Another move, I'd be happy with regardless but, he can still help us as a rush end on passing downs.
I think Greg Ellis is smart enough to keep his mouth shut after witnessing this ****. The main reason why I see Ellis staying though is because Anthony Spencer is messing his career up by getting arressted and crap. If this becomes a trend... Spencer will be the next to see his ass out the door.

yno88
03-05-2009, 10:51 AM
If no one signs him he will be the first player to ever make the Pro Bowl as a free agent.

LOL Well played.

Brent
03-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Who didnt see this coming, though? It should have happened before this past season.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
We all saw it coming, but as a fan of an NFC East team this greatly idsapoints me. If only he could stay so we could pick the Cowboys apart deep even worse than we do... (not meant as a dig to cowboy fans)

brat316
03-05-2009, 11:26 AM
How come he did so well his first 2 or 3 years and then just got fat and sucked?

Nalej
03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Who's interested?

M.O.T.H.
03-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Who's interested?

Toronto Argonauts, Winnepeg Blue Bombers, Calgary Stampeders, Montreal Alouettes...ummmm, the Washington Sentinels?

LonghornsLegend
03-05-2009, 12:20 PM
How come he did so well his first 2 or 3 years and then just got fat and sucked?

He says he doesn't fit the 3-4 but his play also dropped off when Darren Woodson retired, some team running the 4-3 will give him a shot and see what he can do but there won't be a long line and he won't get much guaranteed...Aside from sucking so much recently his forearm was broken twice last year, he's damaged goods, I bet nobody wanted to give us a 7th for him.

edit: in his words

On his fit in Wade Phillips' defensive scheme:

"I'm not playing the position I played in my first three years when Mike Zimmer was here and we ran a 4-3. OK? I got used in the defense. I don't make excuses. I don't need to make excuses. But just take my first three years and my last four years and see the difference in where I'm lined up. Yes, I'm better in a 4-3 scheme than in a 3-4 because it's gap sound."

Brent
03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Basically Darren's play allowed Roy to just be a roamer where he would hang near the line of scrimmage and just hit whoever he thought had the ball. When he retired, he had to pass cover... and he cannot.

M.O.T.H.
03-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Roy's style of play makes him a dinosaur by the league's standards. He'll probably have to play LB some where and I dont really buy him being that good at it, either.

brat316
03-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Lions can take him.

M.O.T.H.
03-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Lions can take him.

They probably could have had him in the Kitna deal. He was probably offered first...but now Anthony Henry will most likely be playing safety for them.

HawkeyeFan
03-05-2009, 12:34 PM
About damn time, a few years back he had the Cowboys fans thinking he was one of the best in the league, and now they realise where he is.

Cowboys going for a SS early in the draft now?

thule
03-05-2009, 12:39 PM
William Moore to the cowboys is starting to make a lot of sense now. But yea most of us saw it coming....we saved 2.2 million on the cap by making the move...and obviously the interest wasn't there to move him.

21ST
03-05-2009, 12:41 PM
All the NFC east teams should make a roy williams appreciation thread im sure he helped all of us win a game or 3

Brent
03-05-2009, 12:43 PM
All the NFC east teams should make a roy williams appreciation thread im sure he helped all of us win a game or 3
Brunell to Moss comes to mind.

BeerBaron
03-05-2009, 12:50 PM
William Moore to the cowboys is starting to make a lot of sense now. But yea most of us saw it coming....we saved 2.2 million on the cap by making the move...and obviously the interest wasn't there to move him.

I think they'd be wiser to try and get ahold of a coverage FS and slide Hamlin over...A better move for the future I think. Jarius Byrd would be a nice pickup if available in round 2. They could even try him out at corner and if he works out, they could put Terrance Newman back at FS in the future.

But on Williams....lol. Jerry Jones is starting to look like he prefers to have a football team than a media circus now.

Someone somewhere will give Roy a chance...probably a year at the vet minimum and use him as a situation safety....make try him out at weakside LB.

thule
03-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I think they'd be wiser to try and get ahold of a coverage FS and slide Hamlin over...A better move for the future I think. Jarius Byrd would be a nice pickup if available in round 2. They could even try him out at corner and if he works out, they could put Terrance Newman back at FS in the future.

But on Williams....lol. Jerry Jones is starting to look like he prefers to have a football team than a media circus now.

Someone somewhere will give Roy a chance...probably a year at the vet minimum and use him as a situation safety....make try him out at weakside LB.

This safety class outside of Moore and Delmas is a joke imo...depending on your feelings of Johnson. My early pick for the cowboys was Pegues as he had some return value as well....but he just doesn't scream NFL starter to me either.

Cowboys fans have been calling for Sean Jones...but apparently we haven't made the move...and with Igor coming to town it doesn't seem likely that we could sign both.

TimD
03-05-2009, 01:03 PM
He can't be THAT bad. He obviously has some talent, and I think a team picks him up cheaply to play SS in a 4-3 or weakside OLB. I hope he does well.

thule
03-05-2009, 01:06 PM
He can't be THAT bad. He obviously has some talent, and I think a team picks him up cheaply to play SS in a 4-3 or weakside OLB. I hope he does well.

Well he has looked out of shape for a few years now. But they did a special on him on espn...and he looked in shape....so not quite sure what to make of it. It's hard to believe he will ever be a 3 down safety again...because he has regressed every year since Woodson left....WOLB is probably his last option imo.

BeerBaron
03-05-2009, 01:07 PM
This safety class outside of Moore and Delmas is a joke imo...depending on your feelings of Johnson. My early pick for the cowboys was Pegues as he had some return value as well....but he just doesn't scream NFL starter to me either.

Cowboys fans have been calling for Sean Jones...but apparently we haven't made the move...and with Igor coming to town it doesn't seem likely that we could sign both.

I like Delmas and Johnson as the top FS types, Delmas could even play some SS in the right scheme, and I feel that Moore is strictly a SS.

Thats why I said Byrd might be a nice option late 2nd where your picking. Try him out at corner, if he doesn't do so well there, make him your future FS. And if he does do well, let him eventually take over at CB and slide Terrance Newman back there as he's aging.

M.O.T.H.
03-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Dallas is already set at corner and they seem relcutant to move Hamlin to SS because of his suspect tackling...so, we're pretty much looking exclusively at SS types.

BeerBaron
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Dallas is already set at corner and they seem relcutant to move Hamlin to SS because of his suspect tackling...so, we're pretty much looking exclusively at SS types.

Moore/Chung might just be your godsends if they last that long then.

brat316
03-05-2009, 01:26 PM
hahah what if Moore turns into Williams,...it could be possible.

thule
03-05-2009, 01:26 PM
hahah what if Moore turns into Williams,...it could be possible.

we could play the "what if" game all night....but yes the similarities are there coming out of college.

Iamcanadian
03-05-2009, 01:57 PM
These types of moves by high paid teams have more to do with fitting a roster into the salary cap than a discussion on how good a player is. These type of teams have to make tough decisions every year. Williams and TO will be picked up by somebody, you can count on that.

M.O.T.H.
03-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Not in this case...this isnt a salary cap move at all. The fact that we save $2 million is just an added bonus.

thule
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Just to add onto what MOTH said....Roy actually asked earlier this week to be traded or cut....on top of the fact that we were already shopping him.

Matthew Jones
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
New England wanted a "rover" safety last year (SS/OLB hybrid), but Tank Williams was put on IR and I guess they didn't like what they saw from John Lynch. Roy Williams would be a pretty decent rover though, I think.

BeerBaron
03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
New England wanted a "rover" safety last year (SS/OLB hybrid), but Tank Williams was put on IR and I guess they didn't like what they saw from John Lynch. Roy Williams would be a pretty decent rover though, I think.

Williams could play that Rodney Harrison-esque role, and if theres a guy in the league who can figure out a use for Williams, it would be Bellichick.

gafyobop
03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Roy is done. He just wants to sit around and pontificate about Jesus and how he is a righteous man.

I think whoever signs him is in for a surprise. The guy simply does not care and is tying to get by on reputation and whatever physical talent he can muster.

Young Nasty Man
03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
He is a scrub and all he can do is drop his shoulder to make a tackle. If i was any team, I would stay away. He is getting old and he is just straight up garbage ever since Darren Woodson has been with ESPN.

Staubach12
03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm still mad about TO. It'll be a while before I get over that.

WMD
03-05-2009, 05:11 PM
I just needed to call attention to this post. Awesome stuff.

Larry
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Move him to LB, his coverage skills just stink at SS.

thule
03-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Move him to LB, his coverage skills just stink at SS.

THANKS....i've been waiting for someone to explain how he will be a great player!!!!

ElectricEye
03-05-2009, 06:12 PM

I thought about that for a second too but he's not exactly in a hurry to get his career back on track. That combined with the outright liability in coverage makes me very weary.

brat316
03-05-2009, 07:28 PM
THANKS....i've been waiting for someone to explain how he will be a great player!!!!

No...he will be a great special teams tackling machine

PACKmanN
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
No...he will be a great special teams tackling machine

if he can ever get to the returner.

Bucs_Rule
03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
if he can ever get to the returner.

So mean, so true.

Solomon
03-05-2009, 08:04 PM
He might be a solid fit in Houston...

no love
03-06-2009, 04:34 AM
A team really that uses Roy Williams wisely can get a bargain out of him. Teams should look to how Michael Lewis was used by the 49ers. Lewis was another "in-the-box" safety who was written off in Philly bc of his liability in coverage, but he has been a productive player for the 49ers and an impact player against the run game. You hardly see Lewis get lit up or burned in coverage bc they really limit his responsibilities. Teams like the Niners or Pats a few years ago who use a lot of cover 3 can always use a traditional SS.

A 34 team really benefits from a strong safety who can help in run support and can cover the flats. This is why Harrison was so big in the Pats scheme, the 3-4 is very vulnerable in the near perimeter, the flats. Outside swing routes and screens present mismatches for OLBS.

Best way to run at a 3-4 is right up the gut, through one of the A gaps (if the team does not have a dominant NT, which most teams don't). Generally the OLB's are taken out of the play by that approach, the SS has to get the ball carrier as the interior linemen often get matched up against one of the ILB.

Ofcourse, if a team goes 5-WR formation you are probably going to pull your in-the-box guy, just like you are probably subbing your big NT for a guy who can offer more in terms of passrush. With the way offenses are attacking defenses now, alot of traditional positional players (run stuffing mike, in-the-box saftey, big NT) have become situational players.

Also, I just want to throw this question out there... Has Roy Williams really regressed so much as a player, or is it simply that the game is now attacking him (and players like him) differently with the proliferation of wide-open offenses? I think Roy Williams in another era of power-run football could have been a effective player instead of the goat.

PACKmanN
03-06-2009, 02:37 PM
The only way I see Roy having success is if you do a 46 type defense. Move him down to the line of scrimmage and have him blitz the qb or help in run support.