PDA

View Full Version : Patriots sign Shawn Springs

Matthew Jones
03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3955762

It didn't take long for free agent cornerback Shawn Springs to find a new home, or for the New England Patriots to strengthen their secondary with a veteran cover man.

Springs, agreed to a contract with the Patriots on Thursday, after visiting with team officials, a source told ESPN.com. The move continues a trend by the Pats in recent years of signing a veteran cornerback in the offseason to bolster their defense. Springs, 33, was released by the Washington Redskins last week after the team re-signed free agent DeAngelo Hall.

Details of the contract, which has not been officially signed, were not immediately available. Springs also considered signing with Phildelphia.

Patriots' officials visited with free agent Leigh Bodden (Detroit) earler in the week, then turned their attention to Springs. It is believed that Springs, who can play cornerback or safety, could challenge for a starting job.

Springs, a 12-year veteran, has played for the Redskins the past five seasons. Prior to that, Springs played seven seasons in Seattle, which chose him with a first-round draft pick in 1997 with the third pick overall.

The former Ohio State star has played in 143 games with 134 starts. He has 372 tackles, 32 interceptions, 66 passes defensed and 8 1/2 sacks. Springs is the son of former Dallas running back Ron Springs. He played in nine games with seven starts for the Redskins in 2008, before an injury ended his season.

The Patriots on Thursday also acquired wide receiver Greg Lewis from Philadelphia.

New England will get Lewis, along with an undisclosed choice in the 2010 draft, in exchange for an undisclosed choice in the 2009 draft. Over the last two seasons, Lewis has dropped down the Eagles' depth chart.

A veteran of 90 games, and 23 starts, Lewis made the Philadelphia roster as an undrafted free agent in 2003. The former Illinois standout has 127 catches for 1,699 yards and seven touchdowns. His most productive season was in 2005, when he caught 48 passes for 561 yards.

The Patriots also re-signed starting safety James Sanders, punter Chris Hanson and reserve linebacker Eric Alexander on Thursday.

Sanders, a fourth-round pick in 2005, has started 36 games over his first four seasons in New England. He has 198 career tackles, five interceptions and a sack.

Hanson has played ten seasons in the NFL, the last two with the Patriots. He averaged 43.7 yards on 49 punts in 2008, with nine touchbacks and 19 kicks inside the 20.

Alexander was signed as a rookie free agent in 2004. He appeared in only one game last season because of a hamstring injury.

The Patriots also released linebacker Darrell Robertson, who spent part of last season on the practice squad.

Matthew Jones
03-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm liking the kind of players they're bringing in so far in free agency for the most part. I can see why they wanted to get rid of Cassel (salary) and Vrabel (money) and I can see why Belichick didn't want to wait on a potentially better deal (since he could get stuck with both and not have money to sign free agents), but it's only okay for now.

Fred Taylor will take over for LaMont Jordan in that RBBC approach New England has, and Chris Baker is someone I expect to take over as the starting tight end. Springs is probably the #1 cornerback on the team right now and even though he's old and injury-prone, I like the move so long as they didn't pay him a ridiculous sum. He only gave up one touchdown last year. Not a huge fan of the Greg Lewis trade, but I think he could realistically replace Jabar Gaffney, who came onto the team under similar circumstances. He has a cheap deal and is signed for three years, which looks good considering the bloated free agent contracts at wide receiver.

Rjspartan
03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I like this signing

Matthew Jones
03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Here's his entry in the top 50 cornerbacks rankings from last year:

28. Shawn Springs, Washington Redskins
Season Totals: 31 attempts, 5.16 YPA, 32.26 Forced INC%, 1 TD, 1 INT

My two cents: Shawn Springs just couldn’t stay healthy and was only able to play in nine games. In those nine games Springs played well. Springs will turn 34 in March and has likely already seen his best years. He is still a top 20 CB when he is healthy, unfortunately he has only played one 16 game season in the last eight years.

Go_Eagles77
03-05-2009, 05:35 PM
He should be a good fit at CB in their system.

Thunder&Lightning
03-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm liking the kind of players they're bringing in so far in free agency for the most part. I can see why they wanted to get rid of Cassel (salary) and Vrabel (money) and I can see why Belichick didn't want to wait on a potentially better deal (since he could get stuck with both and not have money to sign free agents), but it's only okay for now.

Fred Taylor will take over for LaMont Jordan in that RBBC approach New England has, and Chris Baker is someone I expect to take over as the starting tight end. Springs is probably the #1 cornerback on the team right now and even though he's old and injury-prone, I like the move so long as they didn't pay him a ridiculous sum. He only gave up one touchdown last year. Not a huge fan of the Greg Lewis trade, but I think he could realistically replace Jabar Gaffney, who came onto the team under similar circumstances. He has a cheap deal and is signed for three years, which looks good considering the bloated free agent contracts at wide receiver.

I deff dont think Baker will take over at TE.

WMD
03-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Hopefully this eliminates Chris Carr from their wish list. He needs to come to the Lions.

Matthew Jones
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I deff dont think Baker will take over at TE.

You must not have seen Ben Watson play.

bored of education
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Here's his entry in the top 50 cornerbacks rankings from last year:

he is the defintion of a 4-6 game stop gap. have fun with him.

Thunder&Lightning
03-05-2009, 05:40 PM
You must not have seen Ben Watson play.

He was injured the entire season and when he did play you could tell he was not at 100%

Matthew Jones
03-05-2009, 05:45 PM
He was injured the entire season and when he did play you could tell he was not at 100%

He also can't catch a football. He drops a ridiculous proportion of his passes, catching only 47% of passes thrown at him. Baker caught 70% of the passes thrown at him, per Football Outsiders. He's a blocking tight end but has decent hands as well.

ElectricEye
03-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Too many old guys. I'm not against the move and it's probably only for a year, but it just makes our defense seem so much older. Always have to watch out for the defense breaking down with age. Hope this doesn't change our draft plans any. We still need a younger starting caliber corner.

Any idea how much this is going to cost us?

And yeah, Watson is an absolute waste of talent. Terrible hands and he isn't good at locating the ball on top of that.

Thunder&Lightning
03-05-2009, 06:00 PM
He also can't catch a football. He drops a ridiculous proportion of his passes, catching only 47% of passes thrown at him. Baker caught 70% of the passes thrown at him, per Football Outsiders. He's a blocking tight end but has decent hands as well.

Took you long enough to look that stat up... Bottom line is that Baker will be a #2 TE hes not a receiver hes a blocker his best days are behind him. Watson is a playmaker, if hes healthy.

ElectricEye
03-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Took you long enough to look that stat up... Bottom line is that Baker will be a #2 TE hes not a receiver hes a blocker his best days are behind him. Watson is a playmaker, if hes healthy.

Which Ben Watson are you watching? Because I'm seeing the one that hasn't developed as a player for three years despite obvious opportunities to step his game up.

Thunder&Lightning
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Which Ben Watson are you watching? Because I'm seeing the one that hasn't developed as a player for three years despite obvious opportunities to step his game up.

Baker hasnt done much either... If Watson is healthy he can be a playmaker.

Don Vito
03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I like this signing a lot. We needed a veteran corner who still can offer something when he is on the field (not another Deltha O'Neal or Tory James), I still think we take a corner with one of our first four picks.

Like RoP said, I am really likeing the players we are bringing in.

ElectricEye
03-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Baker hasnt done much either... If Watson is healthy he can be a playmaker.

His physical skills would say so, but he has zero instincts as a receiver. None. He's a forty time and not a heck of a lot more.

Thunder&Lightning
03-05-2009, 06:10 PM
His physical skills would say so, but he has zero instincts as a receiver. None. He's a forty time and not a heck of a lot more.

agreed but you honestly think Baker is better than Watson?

ElectricEye
03-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Possibly. It's not a very large limb to step out on to say Baker will get more playing time than Watson this year. Not saying he's better persay, but Watson has become a real frustrating player. I really hope he can get his game up to the level that he was supposed to be playing at after 06, but I just don't see it happening. Damn fine Madden player, not a good football player.

Don Vito
03-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Watson hasn't lived up to his first round billing as a game changing TE, but I haven't given up on him quite yet. His blocking has improved quite a bit and even though he hasn't made a huge impact in the passing game, a lot of that has to do with Welker holding down the underneath stuff and Moss stretching the field. I think Watson could see a bigger role next year, but there is no denying he has had his struggles with catching the football.

Matthew Jones
03-05-2009, 06:21 PM

Yes. And Baker's better days are behind him? He's 29, and he just got hooked up with Tom Brady. Ben Watson can't catch a ball. You could put a video clip of his targets this season (passes thrown at him) to the Benny Hill theme song. Passes bouncing off his hands, chest, facemask, him not being able to see where the ball is, you name it.

21ST
03-05-2009, 06:45 PM
You should get a good 8 games out of him

Matthew Jones
03-05-2009, 07:03 PM
You should get a good 8 games out of him

Terrence Wheatley looked great in his first start last year until he went down with a broken wrist - he was blanketing Marvin Harrison, deflected two passes, and I would like to see him in more action next year. I'm sure Springs is better at this point, but I hope Wheatley still gets some quality playing time.

Matthew Jones
03-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Also, there's an unexplored storyline here - Shawn Springs is Terrell Owens' rival, and there's talk the Jets will sign Owens, although that's a bad situation for him, playing with Clemens and/or Ratliff at QB. If McNabb, Garcia couldn't cut it, there's no way those guys do.

21ST
03-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Terrence Wheatley looked great in his first start last year until he went down with a broken wrist - he was blanketing Marvin Harrison, deflected two passes, and I would like to see him in more action next year. I'm sure Springs is better at this point, but I hope Wheatley still gets some quality playing time.

As long as you have his back up ready, but when he is on the field he is going to be one of the better players out there and he can play CB and FS very well. When he was actually in the game he was our best DB out there last year

BradysKnee
03-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I like this signing, and I've liked how the Pats have handled this off-season. Wheatley is going to be the next Hobbs for us, very similar players.

If Watson could chisel the stone off his hands, he'd be an elite TE, but that doesn't seem the case, Baker will bring some fire onto Watson's ass and hopefully force him to improve.

Nalej
03-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I like the signings.

skinzzfan25
03-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Springs is good but he's made of glass. He's great for matching up on big physical receivers.

Once that hammy or calf goes, the season goes.

Crickett
03-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Also, there's an unexplored storyline here - Shawn Springs is Terrell Owens' rival, and there's talk the Jets will sign Owens, although that's a bad situation for him, playing with Clemens and/or Ratliff at QB. If McNabb, Garcia couldn't cut it, there's no way those guys do.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-teams-that-don-t-want-Terrell-Owens?urn=nfl,146116

Third team from the bottom: The New York Jets.

bored of education
03-05-2009, 09:34 PM
The thing that the Pats do that some people marvel at are the signings they make that actually payoff and they are seen as geniuses. if Springs doesn't work out, if Adalius gets injured again its overlooked, but if they get someone low risk high reward and pays off its genius. Moss, Seau did well for some time, Rodney Harrison etc. ZOMGZ they are geniuses!!!

Signing Springs will be one of those ahh who cares if he does jack **** or ZOMGZZZ PATRIOTS KNEW ALL ALONG THEY ARE SUCH GENIUSES IF HE HAS 9 INTS.

Jvig43
03-06-2009, 08:57 AM
The thing that the Pats do that some people marvel at are the signings they make that actually payoff and they are seen as geniuses. if Springs doesn't work out, if Adalius gets injured again its overlooked, but if they get someone low risk high reward and pays off its genius. Moss, Seau did well for some time, Rodney Harrison etc. ZOMGZ they are geniuses!!!

Signing Springs will be one of those ahh who cares if he does jack **** or ZOMGZZZ PATRIOTS KNEW ALL ALONG THEY ARE SUCH GENIUSES IF HE HAS 9 INTS.

The second statement is always true

bored of education
03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
The second statement is always true

the whole post is true. don't be a blind patriots homer.

21ST
03-06-2009, 09:33 AM

when u are the best thats what happens

bored of education
03-06-2009, 09:37 AM
when u are the best thats what happens

Best at what, did I miss something?

21ST
03-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Best at what, did I miss something?

playing football

bored of education
03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
playing football

for a time they were.

21ST
03-06-2009, 09:45 AM
for a time they were.

Its hard to argue a team did something wrong if they win 18 games

FlyingElvis
03-06-2009, 09:53 AM
I like the signings so far, too. Fragile Fred, Springs, and Baker are all guys with solid production in their history. Sure they're older and could break down, but the Pats usually get players like this at solid bargain type prices.

Which leads me too . . .

Isn't that the point of "low risk high reward" signings? If they work out you're brilliant (high reward) if they flop it is NBD (low risk.)

nepg
03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Too many old guys. I'm not against the move and it's probably only for a year, but it just makes our defense seem so much older. Always have to watch out for the defense breaking down with age. Hope this doesn't change our draft plans any. We still need a younger starting caliber corner.

Any idea how much this is going to cost us?

And yeah, Watson is an absolute waste of talent. Terrible hands and he isn't good at locating the ball on top of that.

They need veterans... They brought in a bunch of young guys that they're developing and are poised to bring in a lot more this year.
________
Vaporizer vidoes (http://vaporizers.tv/)

bored of education
03-06-2009, 10:06 AM
I like the signings so far, too. Fragile Fred, Springs, and Baker are all guys with solid production in their history. Sure they're older and could break down, but the Pats usually get players like this at solid bargain type prices.

Which leads me too . . .

Isn't that the point of "low risk high reward" signings? If they work out you're brilliant (high reward) if they flop it is NBD (low risk.)

But what makes the Patriots different from other teams, that they strike luck more than once? Every team does it from time to time. But other teasm are seen as failures when its over looked about the patriots if the person doesnt pan out.

I get why they sign these old bags, but they aren't doing anything different (off the field) than many other teams.

bored of education
03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
hey the won rings for a reason I guess right lol

hopefully the true mastermind (Pioli) can have the same LUCK in KC!

nepg
03-06-2009, 10:42 AM
It's not really luck... They're able to sign these guys cheaper than most teams, and the Patriots are the best team in the NFL at putting players with specific skills in situations where they can succeed and produce.

Pioli will do the same thing in KC.
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

ElectricEye
03-06-2009, 10:42 AM

He's already brought in a bunch of talent for you guys. With another nice draft, you guys should be well on your way to the playoffs in the near future.

Bigburt63
03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
But what makes the Patriots different from other teams, that they strike luck more than once? Every team does it from time to time. But other teasm are seen as failures when its over looked about the patriots if the person doesnt pan out.

I get why they sign these old bags, but they aren't doing anything different (off the field) than many other teams.

Recently the patriots have done it more than most other teams, and have been winning as a result of these signings/late round draft finds. Also, alot more of these signings, recently, have panned out than those that have failed.

ElectricEye
03-06-2009, 10:54 AM
We also don't count on those guys. That's an important part of it all.

bored of education
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM
We also don't count on those guys. That's an important part of it all.

Will you did count on moss, Seau, Covin (for a time), Rodney..but in the last few years you are right they have been just pieces to the puzzle sorta

ElectricEye
03-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Will you did count on moss, Seau, Covin (for a time), Rodney..but in the last few years you are right they have been just pieces to the puzzle sorta

That's the way to go I think. It's more a mindset than anything else, but I think we realize that a lot of these guys might not pan out.

nepg
03-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Colvin was a big signing (originally, not this past year), Seau wasn't counted on until he'd already proven himself, and Moss wasn't counted on at all (remember, same off-season they brought in Stallworth, Washington, Welker, and had Chad Jackson developing)...
________
INFANTS WELLBUTRIN (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

ElectricEye
03-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Colvin was a big signing (not this past year), Seau wasn't counted on until he'd already proven himself, and Moss wasn't counted on at all...

Agreement. Colvin kinda came and went, but he wasn't a risk/reward type guy. He was a reward that turned into a risk. Still ended up having some good years for us though.

You could even argue we didn't count on Rodney. Merriweather and Sanders were brought in to eventually be starters, even if Sanders has had mixed results in that role.

FlyingElvis
03-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Like others have mentioned, Luck is an interesting choice of words. At what point does a good personnel system go from Luck to just plain smart? Every time a stud goes down the guy behind him steps up. You call it luck, we here in Patriots Camp call it a sound system w/a good eye for the talent needed to get the job done.

Now we will get to find out how much of that 'good eye' was attached to Pioli. ;)

FlyingElvis
03-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Rosy, Adalius and Rodney are hardly examples of low risk high reward, anyway, imo. All 3 were proven studs who continued to be studs here in NE. Injuries and all. In fact, I would argue they were all high risk b/c they were expected to be studs. It's much tougher to live up to high expectations.

Shahin
03-06-2009, 12:45 PM

I wouldn't base my team's future on luck...

They sign good players for cheaper contracts because players actually want to go there; especially the older ones looking for rings with their last contracts.

bored of education
03-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I call it luck until it happens in KC :D

Menardo75
03-06-2009, 12:57 PM
The Patriots will find a way to make him successful.

nepg
03-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Rosy, Adalius and Rodney are hardly examples of low risk high reward, anyway, imo. All 3 were proven studs who continued to be studs here in NE. Injuries and all. In fact, I would argue they were all high risk b/c they were expected to be studs. It's much tougher to live up to high expectations.

Thomas and Colvin were both high-profile FA signings. They're completely uninvolved in this conversation. Harrison was more along the lines of this Springs signing. He seemed completely washed up, then ended up being good enough for the Pats to drop Milloy.
________
VAPORIZER TELEVISION (http://vaporizers.tv/)

Matthew Jones
03-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Shawn Springs deal is for three years and "at least" $10.5 million, and up to $13 million total. Not a bad deal, although I doubt he'll be on the team for three years due to his age. Still, in terms of yearly salaries, we're looking at $3-4 million a year, which is about market value.

ElectricEye
03-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Shawn Springs deal is for three years and "at least" $10.5 million, and up to $13 million total. Not a bad deal, although I doubt he'll be on the team for three years due to his age. Still, in terms of yearly salaries, we're looking at $3-4 million a year, which is about market value.

Too much, IMO. Don't like the money much but I suppose it isn't THAT bad as long as we pick up a corner to spell him in the draft. Still, the Duane Starks experiment kinda put me off moves of this nature. Hopefully they learned their lesson and don't count on the guy although the money would say otherwise...

DiG
03-09-2009, 11:06 AM

if you can get 12 or so games out of him this year and 9-10 next year then he is well worth that. i couldnt imagine us paying him the 7.5 he was due this year under contract with us but id have had no problem paying him 3-4 mil. when hes healthy and on the field he is still a very good cornerback.

ElectricEye
03-09-2009, 12:01 PM
ESPN is so god damned dumb. We make Springs official and suddenly it is a counter move to the Bills signing Owens. Forget the fact this has been in place for a week. Nope. That's not a good story.