PDA

View Full Version : Jnew76's top 64 prospects with explainations (very Long)

jnew76
03-05-2009, 08:43 PM
1. Jason Smith - OT - Baylor - Great feet, strength, and solid technique. Long arms and nasty demeanor, I think that Smith has differentiated himself as the pick with the highest upside and lowest downside in this draft. Will be an immediate starter and top LT for 10-12 years in the NFL.

2. Aaron Curry - OLB - Wake Forest - Most talented defender in the draft. Has sideline to sideline speed. Excellent feet and instincts. Very versatile 3 down LB that will be a tremendous match-up weapon in any defensive scheme.

3. Eugene Monroe - OT - Virginia - Most fundamentally sound and refined OT in the draft. Great technician who plays with leverage and strong hands. Might not have the mean streak that I would prefer in an OT. His feet are really good, but not "great". He is a better technician than Jason Smith at this point, but Smith has more upside.

4. Matthew Stafford - QB - Georgia - While I do not think he is in the same class as prospects like P. Manning, Palmer, or even Cutler, I think he is not very far behind. Great arm, good footwork. He spins it with zip and velocity. Would like him to have a better completion percentage and shows questionable decision making at times. Playing in a pro-style offense, and against SEC competition are both pluses in his transition to the NFL. Easily the best pro QB prospect in this draft.

5. Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech - Long speed has always been a question mark regarding Crabtree. Those questions might not be answered before the draft with his impending surgery. Well, you can have the long speed and I will take the production and playmaking. Crabtree has extremely strong hands and excellent short area quickness. Creates seperation on short to intermediate routes and runs after the catch. Strong enough to get off the jam against physical corners and has the body control and size to beat smaller corners. An interesting note on Crabtree is that while he measured shorter than expected, he had the 3rd longest arms behind only the 6'6" Ramses Barden and the 6'4" Marko Mitchell.

6. B.J. Raji - DT - Boston College - Easily the best interior lineman in this draft... Combines great short area quickness with tremendous strength to beat single and double teams. Holds up at the point, and can push the pocket from the middle. Sometimes is too agressive and can take him out of plays in the run game.

7. Jeremy Maclin - WR - Missouri - Plays as fast as anyone in the draft. Tremendous burst and acceleration in pads. Rare explosion in space that no other WR in this draft has. Excellent hands and body control. Maclin has good, not great size. Needs to show he can beat the jam and defeat physical corners. Has added skiils in the return game.

8. Brian Orakpo - DE - Texas - Big boom or bust player that has been an enigma at times in his career. Orakpo is a physical freak with great strength and good speed. Needs to improve his pass rush repetoire, but has only scratched the surface of his raw ability.

9. Malcolm Jenkins - CB/S - Ohio St - Tall, powerful, and extremely quick. Lacks some straight line speed which could limit him to a Cover 2 system or move him inside to safety. Has good hips and change of direction skills. Tremendous ball skills and will hit and support in the run game. I think he end up as a pro bowl safety who can cover over the top and man to man.

10. Darrius Heyward-Bey - WR - Maryland - Fastest straight line speed in the draft and should emerge into at the very least a great deep threat at the next level. DHB's true talents have never been able to come through due to the lack of talent at the QB position in college. I question his lateral quickness and he looks a little tight in the hips which might slow him down out of breaks and hinder his ability to seperate at the next level.

11. Chris "Beanie" Wells - RB - Ohio St. - Big powerful back with excellent burst and good vision. Did not run as fast as expected and could drop a little as the process moves along. Was nicked up a little throughout his career. Lacks the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Is he a 2 down back in the NFL?

12. Mark Sanchez - QB - USC - Lots of positives combined with lots of question marks. Sanchez has just over a year of starting experience, he played on an all-star team of talent that may have made him look better than he really is. However, he is an extremely hard worker with a lot of talent. He has a strong arm and good accuracy. Played in a pro style offense and has good mechanics and footwork. Was a little inconsistent at times. Really looked bad in the loss to Oregon St. Looked like he was pressing in the 4th quarter and made some bad decisions. Looked like a future pro-bowler at other times, including the Rose Bowl while dismantling the Penn St. secondary.

13. Darius Butler - CB - UConn - I might be the only one with Butler as a top 15 prospect in this draft, but I personally put a premium on corners with size, hips, and ball skills... Butler has all of these in spades. I think he has the ability to be the best man to man corner in this draft. I look for a huge rise up the draft boards for Butler as the draft approaches and would be shocked if his name is not called early in the first round come draft day.

14. Andre Smith - OT - Alabama - Is the risk worth the reward? I say no, and would not draft Andre Smith at any point in the first round. On the field Smith excel's against both the run and the pass. He is a natural knee bender with tremendous leverage and pop in his hands when he engages the defender. Is a real force in the run game and finishes blocks. He is a top 5 talent with a 3rd round attitude. Buyer beware.

15. Everette Brown - DE/OLB - Florida St. - Pass rushers are always at a premium in the NFL. Brown is a pure pass rusher with some question marks, but excellent production. Does not have great size, speed, or strength... Has a real nice repetoire of pass rush moves and a knack for getting to the QB. He is a tweener/hybrid type that needs to prove he can hold the edge and drop into coverage if he wants to be an every down player in the NFL. Probably the closest thing to a finished product as a pass rusher in this draft.

16. Michael Oher - OT - Mississippi - Proven LT who consistently played against top competition in the SEC. Good technique and leverage. Uses big frame and strong hands to neutralize defenders. Can sometimes let defenders in to close to his body and lose his leverage. Needs to refine his technique and hand placement. Slightly limited physically when compared to the three tackles above him in the draft.

17. Percy Harvin - WR - Florida - Harvin is like a Ferrari... When healthy, he is extremely fast, has tremendous acceleration, and corners like he is on rails. When not, be seems to be in the shop for months at a time. Harvin is a big play waiting to happen. Electric in the open field and displays the ability to line up all over the field. An interesting prospect that might not have an actual position at the next level. Might need to have a creative offensive coordinator to be successful.

18. Vontae Davis - CB - Illinois - Another prospect I would not draft, but have to include on my board. He is big and physical with good ball skills. I think he is a Chris McCallister clone that can match up with the bigger WR's in the NFL. Excellent speed and quickness, questionable coachability and attitude. He will be drafted very high on his tremendous potential despite being benched at Illinois. Another buyer beware prospect with perhaps more upside than question marks.

19. Ray Maualuga - ILB - USC - A thumper at MLB. Reminds me of Jeremiah Trotter on the football field. Should be a force in the middle for years, but might be a liability in the pass game later in his career. Should rack up the tackles and clog the middle. Needs to play in the right scheme and might have trouble playing sideline to sideline in the NFL.

20. Jarron Gilbert - DE - San Jose St. - When it is all said and done, I may very well have Gilbert as a top 10 prospect in this draft as I think he has that type of talent. Size/speed/strength/production - He has everything. Powerful athlete with the potential, IMO, to dominate at the next level as a 4-3 DE, or as a 3-4 DE... Has excellent ability to play in space and the strength to hold up against the run. Could also add weight and end up as an elite DT. The sky is the limit for Gilbert. Son of former Saints OT Daren Gilbert. Needs to learn to use his hands better to utilize his natural strength.

21. Alphonso Smith - CB - Wake Forest - Playmaker, Ball Hawk, with fantastic quickness and technique as a pass defender. Great instincts and work ethic. He is quicker, rather than fast... But his change of direction and hips are elite. Makes plays on the ball when given the opportunity. 6 interceptions in each of his last two seasons.

22. Robert Ayers - DE - Tennessee - Classic one year wonder who had the light come on in his last year on campus. Ayers is a perfect fit as a 4-3 DE and as one of the few players in this draft that fills that role which ups his value at least 10 spots in this draft. He is strong at the point and plays the run very well. He has some pass rush ability and is a good athlete that has some real upside.

23. Peria Jerry - DT - Mississippi - Tremendous producer on the field. Jerry is the most disruptive DT in this draft. He plays with great quickness and leverage. Has shown the ability to play the run with surprising strength. Prototypical 3-tech DT who will need to play next to a solid bigger DT to excel at the next level. Poor mans Amobe Akoye.

24. Larry English - DE - Northern Illinois - Fast rising DE prospect who flashes tremendous potential and ability to rush the passer. Is raw with regards to technique, but plays with leverage and speed. Question marks regarding his level of competition, but proved he could hold his own at the senior bowl as he improved dramatically over the course of the week. Impressive initial quickness off the ball.

25. Brian Cushing - OLB - USC - I think Cushing might be a little better at 235lbs rather than the 243 he weighed in at the combine. He did show very well in the quickness and change of direction drills at the combine, but I think he would play better as an OLB in the NFL at a little lighter weight. He is a natural football player who will work very hard and play every down. If he maintains the weight he might get a look as an ILB at the next level.

26. Brandon Pettigrew - TE - Oklahoma St. - Pettigrew is a tremendous in-line blocker and receiver. Good strong hands and big frame. I question his value at the next level, because he might be more of a luxury than a weapon. I believe there might be 10 teams in the NFL that value Pettigrew's skill set enough to make him their 1rst round pick. Combined with his off the field trouble I could see a slide come draft day.

27. Kenny Britt - WR - Rutgers - Big, powerful, and fast WR. Reminds me of a young Brandon Marshall, with less baggage. Britt was the shining star of an offense that had its struggles this year. Britt is an extremely good route runner and catches the ball all over the field. He is good over the middle and makes catches in traffic with his hands.

28. James Laurinaitis - ILB - Ohio St. - JL is a very solid ILB who plays with strength and athleticism. What you see is what you get... He is a lunch pail guy who will come to work every Sunday and compete. I question whether or not he has reached his potential or not. Looking at tape, I don't think he has improved as much as you would hope over the last 3 years. I don't think he diagnosed plays any better as a senior than he did as a Junior. I think you get a good solid producer at the next level, but he may never be an all-pro.

29. Connor Barwin - DE/OLB - Cincinnati - Productive at Cincinnati at both TE and DE, Barwin really came into his own as a pass rusher for the Bearcats. Barwin relied mostly on athletic ability and a non-stop motor to get to the passer. He will need to develop better technique and hand placement. Despite being thought of as exclusively as a pass rusher, Barwin was surprisingly good against the run. Should play 3-4 OLB in the pros, but has the athletic ability and frame to play elsewhere.

30. Knowshon Moreno - RB - Georgia - Gifted natural runner blessed with some of the best balance I have seen in a RB. Not a burner, and will not make a lot of people miss in the hole. However, he make yards after contact for two reasons... 1.He does not take big hits 2. His balance enables him to take a shot and gain chunks of yardage after contact... He is similar to Emmitt Smith in both of those areas. Can get into the secondary and get the maximum out of runs by angling to the sidelines and maximizing yardage.

31. Ron Brace - DT - Boston College - As a 3-4 NT Brace is exactly what teams look for. Plays with leverage, strength, and power. Holds up at the point and occupies blockers with his big body. Has shown the ability to collapse the pocket at times, and was particularly impressive to me at the senior bowl. Not a natural pass rusher and does not really have any moves, but he is strong as a bull and enables the people behind him to flow to the ball and make plays.

32. Donald Brown - RB - UConn - Brown exploded on the scene this season when an injury made him the only back UCONN could give the ball to. Brown responded by turning in one of the best statistical years in NCAA history. Rushing for over 2000 yards while averaging 5.7ypc. Brown surprised some with his athleticism at the combine, but proved to be explosive throughout his Junior year. Excellent patience in the hole. Has vision and burst, and has proven he can break tackles and get yards after contact. Has excellent size for the position, and proved his durability with 367 carries last year without missing a game.

33. William Beatty - OT - UConn - High ceiling, but a low floor, Beatty is a projection whose great feet and athleticism are much better than his technique at this point. When he maintains his technique he is a fantastic pass protector and potential LT. Can play too high at times and lose his leverage. Lacks some pop in his initial punch. can be over-powered, as witnessed at times in the senior bowl practices, but showed by the end of the week that he was coachable and responded by being one of the most improved players of the week.

34. Clay Matthews - OLB - USC - Matthews is a bit of a late bloomer and is not nearly as heralded as the rest of the USC linebacking corp, but may very well end up being the best of the bunch. Athletic and versatile LB who could play a few positions at the next level. Excellent bloodlines, definitely has his best football in front of him.

35. Sean Smith - CB/S - Utah - Big, athletic and talented... Is he a corner? I think so. He has good hips and enough speed and lateral quickness to play the position. Smith is a willing, but not a physical tackler. He can be physical in coverage and plays well with his hands. Probably not a fit in every scheme at CB, but offers versatility in the ability to play safety. Covers a lot of ground with a bit of a long stride, but still has the ability to play low and backpedal with some efficiency.

36. LeSean McCoy - RB - Pittsburgh - I would like to have seen McCoy run at the combine, as I think he would have helped his stock with his times relative to the rest of the RB's. McCoy is a very nimble and quick RB who plays his best in space. He is not overly powerful or physical. More of a make you miss RB. Good receiver out of the backfield. At 198lbs I question whether he can take the pounding of a 16 game seasaon and duplicate his 300+ carry season this year at Pitt. Might be the only back in the draft that is a legit big play threat. Has relatively small hands and struggled holding onto the ball as a senior.

37. Alex Mack - OC - California - Good size for a center. Plays with a nasty demeanor and finishes blocks. Good functional strength and leverage. Quick off the ball and technically sound in the pivot. I think he is easily the best Center prospect in this draft. Has some added value with the size and athleticism to play guard as well.

38. Jared Cook - TE - South Carolina - An underutilized weapon in college, who suffered from the QB carousel at South Carolina. A converted WR who has tremendous upside. Questions about his blocking ability might keep him off the field and he is not a fit in all schemes.

39. William Moore - S - Missouri - I think Moore did a lot at the combine to rehabilitate his stock. He was very impressive in his drops and change of direction drills. Had a very poor senior season and was not utilized in a way to maximize his talents. He is a playmaker but played with nagging injuries all year. Led the nation in INT's as a junior. Can cover a lot of ground, has decent instincts, and solid tackler. Has a true love of the game and makes big plays. Defensive MVP of the 2007 Cotton Bowl.

40. Eben Britton - OT - Arizona - Started 37 games in three years at Arizona, but only one of those years at LT. Britton has slimmed down considerably over the course of college and his comitment to his physical condition has allowed his athleticism to show. His arms are a little short, and his strength is not overwhelming. Could be overpowered at the next level. Might end up playing RT and excel. Needs to be a little nastier in the run game.

41. Louis Delmas - S - Central Michigan - Delmas is a really good player with great leadership skills. Excellent tackler with good ball skills. Diagnoses plays well and rarely gets beat by play action. He is agressive and plays with speed and tenacity. Not a great coverage safety and will struggle to match up in man coverage. Takes good angles for the most part and, combined with his instincts, makes him a very efficient safety without much wasted motion.

42. D.J. Moore - CB - Vanderbilt - Moore is a pure Cover-2 corner in my book. Has great short area quickness and can plant and drive on short routes as well as any qb in the draft. Good tackler who looks to strip the ball after contact. Good upper body build will help him at the line of scrimmage against bigger receivers. Moore plays bigger than he is, but his size is still a question mark. Does not have good long speed. Will be blocked by bigger WR's in the run game. Might have the best ball skills of any CB in the draft. Can take it the distance after the interception.

43. Jamon Merideth - OT - South Carolina - Really passes the eyeball and measureables test. Showed versatility throughout his college career. However, he was inconsistent at times throughout. His ability to play any position except center on the offensive line increases his draft stock and I think he could get real close to the 1rst round if there is a run on Offensive linemen.

44. Josh Freeman - QB - Kansas St. - Physically gifted, with prototypical size. Freeman is a developmental QB that will be over-drafted based on potential. Needs a minimum of 2 years on the bench to develop, but has all the tools to do so. Huge boom or bust prospect who may or may not ever pick up the nuances of the position in the NFL. To his credit, he played on a Kansas St. team that might not have another player drafted this year.

45. Tyson Jackson - DE/DT - LSU - Versatile defensive lineman that will be over-drafted because of his size and athleticism. IMO, he is an under-achiever... however, I think the defensive staff at LSU, who have since been replaced, were not respected by the defensive players which lead to some poor performances. Whether Jackson can show more drive and coachability in the pros remains to be seen, but I would rather have another team besides my own find out.

46. Hakeem Nicks - Wr - North Carolina - Strong, well built WR, with excellent run after the catch ability. Nicks is a really good route runner that played in a pro style offense and understands a lot of the nuances of route running.
Decent speed, but not a burner. Plays big in big games and can dominate opposing CB's with his physicality.

47. Bernard Scott - RB - Abilene Christian - I am amazed at the number of people who do not know how good this player is. If he played in a BCS conference I think he would be discussed as a top 15 pick. Of course, there are a number of reasons he does not play in a BCS conference and none of them are good. Scott has 5 arrests in his college career and when he failed to make grades out of JUCO, he had all of his offers from BCS schools pulled. No way he sniffs the first day of the draft, but if your team grabs him late, you are getting one of the 20 most talented players in this draft... mark my words.

48. Clint Sintim - OLB - Virginia - Does everything well, but is not spectacular in any one area. Has an understanding of the 3-4 defense and should transition well into the pros. Four year starter at Virginia, who improved every year. Not overly athletic or instinctive, but rushes the passer well and makes plays in the backfield. Lacks suddenness off the ball, but plays non-stop. An NFL starter, but might never be at an elite level. One of the most finished products in the draft and one of the few players coming out of a 3-4 scheme.

49. Brian Robiskie - WR - Ohio St. - Big, angular WR who is a polished route runner and has decent long speed. Will create seperation with his body which makes up for some of his lack of short area quickness. A posession receiver at the next level who will play smart and move the chains consistently.

50. Max Unger - OC/OG - Oregon - Versatile interior lineman who's stock is higher because of his ability to play a variety of positions along the O-Line including center. Does not have great feet or strength, but is a good technician who competes every play.

51. Rashad Johnson - S - Alabama - 5th year senior who was the emotional leader of a great Alabama defense. Has good range and instincts, combined with solid ball skills and tackling ability. Not as big as some prefer at the safety position and not a fit in every system. Decent change of direction skills and some man coverage ability. Is not a force against the run and is not an impact hitter. Does not have the upside of other prospects.

52. Shawn Nelson - TE - Southern Mississippi - Excellent athlete with really good speed and quickness. Runs like a WR and has explosive short area burst. Plays fast and can stretch the field. Smooth athlete who looks effortless in routes. Can be a little sloppy in his routes. Does not have the bulk teams like in a TE. Showed at the Senior Bowl that he is willing to block and compete.

53. Evander "Ziggy" Hood - DT - Missouri - Hood is an excellent 3-Tech tackle prospect who does nothing great, but everything well. Does not always play up to his measurables, but he has been a consistent performer with a great motor. Tall, and carries his weight well, maybe too well. He lacks some lower body girth that many teams look for in a DT. Should be a solid contributor for many years in the NFL.

54. Juaquin Iglesias - WR - Oklahoma - Iglesias will never run 4.3 or jump 40", but he will get open and catch the ball. He will do it over the middle, on the sidelines, or down the field. He has strong hands and a knack of getting open. Could be a top #2 WR, or a great slot reciever. He is a player every team would like to have. Not flashy, but gets the job done.

55. Keenan Lewis - CB - Oregon St. - Press man corner who has decent hips, but struggles in his backpedal. Good short area quickness alows him to stay on WR's hip and maintain his coverage down the field. Has good ball skills and long lean body helps him make plays on the ball. Has an amazing 51 starts in college and is the most experienced DB in this class.

56. Duke Robinson - OG - Oklahoma - Big, strong, mauler, who envelopes defenders once he engages. Not asked to pull in college and might not be able to do so in the NFL. Not a fit in all systems. Does not block well in space and has trouble getting to the 2nd level. Will dominate as a straight ahead run blocker and is tough to get around in the passing game.

57. Lawrence Sidbury Jr. - DE/OLB - Richmond - Long, lean, angular, with really long arms. A project who is more of an athlete than a pass rusher at this point. Sidbury has a decent pass rush repetoire and uses leverage well. Very good in pursuit and in space. Has narrow hips and lacks lower body bulk. He is a little stiff as an athlete. Lacks the strength to stack and shed against the run, but has the frame to add weight/strength. Progressed throughout senior bowl week, but never flashed like many hoped he would in individual drills.

58. Xavier Fulton - RT/OG - Illinois - Another O-Line prospect with good feet and athleticism, who is clearly raw, but responded well to coaching at the Senior Bowl. Fulton Has a great frame and can add strength and weight. Might be better on the right side, or inside initially, but has the ability to eventually project to LT.

59. Paul Kruger - DE - Utah - Relentless pass rusher who plays the run very well. Can play in space and drop into coverage as well. Did not workout at the comnine, and has some questions to answer at his pro day. Looks fast and athletic on film. Pursues well and plays with tremendous motor. Only 2 years college experience after going on a 2 year LDS mission... Will be 23 as a rookie. Plays a little high at times and will need to refine his technique. Has a great frame and could add weight. Could play 3-4 Rush LB or as a DE in a 4-3. Look for him to rise up boards as the draft approaches.

60. Gerald McRath - MLB - McRath looks to be a potential Tampa 2 MLB who can drop in coverage as well as any MLB in this draft. He was a tackling machine in college and plays sideline to sideline. Good blitzer with nose for the football. Lacks some bulk, but has been healthy for most of his career. Interesting prospect who has lots of upside. Could also play WILB in a 3-4 or WLB in a 4-3. Has versatility.

61. Darry Beckwith - MLB - LSU - Solid sideline to sideline MLB who will make tackles all over the field with his ability to close and cover ground. Good lateral quickness and a sure tackler. Needs to play behind good D-Line that keeps lineman from getting to him. Does not shed blocks well. Gets lost in the scrum.

62. Coye Francies - CB - San Jose St. - Might have the best hips and agility of any CB in this draft. Has nice size and frame. Good hitter who plays the run very well. Could play in multiple defenses. Probably best suited in a cover-2, but him man-2-man ability makes him versatile. Makes plays on the ball and does well in space. Does not have deep speed, and can be beat over the top. Has better accelleration than speed which helps his intermediate route coverage and make up speed. Can plant and drive on the ball with efficiency and ease. Should be a starter in the NFL.

63. Patrick Chung - S - Oregon - Hard hitting safety who diagnoses plays quickly and lays the wood. Might be the most sure tackler as a safety in the draft. Plays fast and is good at recognizing play action. Not a superior athlete, but does his best to make up for it with his instincts and intelligence. Good size and well built frame. Probably best in a zone scheme where he is not asked to cover man-to-man. Good blitzer, who can get to the QB and disrupt timing in the backfield.

64. Chase Coffman - TE - Missouri - Some serious injury concerns continue to drop Coffman. He has the best hands of any player in this draft. He is a huge target that uses his body and leaping ability to create seperation and mismatches. Has good natural strength and decent speed. Lacks burst and short area quickness. Never asked to be an in-line blocker at the college level, he has been unable to address those questions while recovering from a "Jones Fracture" in his left foot. Big risk/reward player at this point who might not have a 40 time prior to the draft.

Just Missed

Derrick Williams - WR - PSU
Michael Johnson - DE - Georgia Tech
Phil Loadholt - OT/OG - Oklahoma
Sen'Derrick Marks - DT - Auburn
Jairus Byrd - CB - Oregon
Andre Brown - RB - NC St.
Victor Harris - CB - VATech

princefielder28
03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I'd like to see Michael Johnson in the Top 64. What's the reason for his absence?

twista6002
03-05-2009, 08:51 PM
DHB's hands aren't good enough to be rated higher than Kenny Britt, other than that not bad

jnew76
03-05-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd like to see Michael Johnson in the Top 64. What's the reason for his absence?

I really go back and forth on Johnson. The main problem I have with him is that he has no concept of leverage and plays really high. Additionally, lacks the strength to bull-rush. As a 6'7" DE without great strength, he could bull rush if he had any concept of leverage, but he just fails to understand how to use his gifts to his advantage.

He is so tall, that I think he would need to be in the 280lb range to be effective as a DE, but he is so naturally lean, that he might have trouble gaining the weight.

He is just to raw and unfinished for me to have as a first day guy, but I think he has a great chance to be "over-drafted", even in the early second if a team falls in love with his potential.

superman
03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
no bj raji?

oldLibid21
03-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Try his lack of production? I've been saying all year long that Michael Johnson will not be a top draft pick and that he had a very big chance of falling out of the second round. I see nothing special about him in his future pro career - maybe he can be a good rotational player, but he relies way too much on his athleticism to get by in college. He does not impress me at all. This isn't to say that I think he'll be a bust, I'm just saying "I told you so" to all the GT / MJ fans who doubted me when I said around August of last year that Michael Johnson was overrated and would probably fall out of the first round. So far, it looks like it might go that way. Here's to hoping that reality doesn't hit him too hard that he won't be able to get up on his feet and really make it in the pros.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
03-05-2009, 09:51 PM
no bj raji?

He is number 6.

BigBanger
03-05-2009, 10:08 PM
11. Chris "Beanie" Wells - RB - Ohio St. - Big powerful back with excellent burst and good vision. Did not run as fast as expected and could drop a little as the process moves along. Was nicked up a little throughout his career. Lacks the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Is he a 2 down back in the NFL?
Lot of questions and concerns there. I agree with all of it, and for that I have him graded as a third rounder. I don't think he's as good as people think and I don't think he'll go as high as people expect. Never saw top 10 as a possibility.

30. Knowshon Moreno - RB - Georgia - Gifted natural runner blessed with some of the best balance I have seen in a RB. Not a burner, and will not make a lot of people miss in the hole. However, he make yards after contact for two reasons... 1.He does not take big hits 2. His balance enables him to take a shot and gain chunks of yardage after contact... He is similar to Emmitt Smith in both of those areas. Can get into the secondary and get the maximum out of runs by angling to the sidelines and maximizing yardage.
Moreno is the best RB in this draft and I don't even think its close. He's far and away the best RB prospect.

Just read what you wrote about Wells and then read what you wrote about Moreno. Take the names out of there. What description sounds like a better player?

You didn't even get into his vision and cutting ability. Then his burst and acceleration are both great. He ran just as poor as Wells. Neither are home run threats. We all knew that. Moreno is a much more natural and instinctive runner that plays behind his pads so well. He has a really low bust potential. A complete back that can catch the ball extremely well. Block and has much better size than I think we all thought. If he ran 4.45 he'd be a top 5 player on everyone's board... like Cadillac Williams.

14. Andre Smith - OT - Alabama - Is the risk worth the reward? I say no, and would not draft Andre Smith at any point in the first round. On the field Smith excel's against both the run and the pass. He is a natural knee bender with tremendous leverage and pop in his hands when he engages the defender. Is a real force in the run game and finishes blocks. He is a top 5 talent with a 3rd round attitude. Buyer beware.
You have him 14th overall. Obviously you would draft him in round 1. If you wouldn't you should have 44th.

I re-watched a few games of his from his sophomore year and couple from last year, and I forgot just how great of talent he is amidst all this negative off-season news. He has the best feet of any Tackle in this draft including Jason Smith, and feet that rival Joe Thomas. He has incredible strength in his lower body. Great knee bend. He's powerful and sometimes mauling in the run blocking game. Exceptional technique and leverage. Can anchor down and shutdown defenders. He is by far the most talented OT in this draft, and even more talented than Jake Long was last year. Andre Smith is an elite talent. I've been worried about his strength in the past (upper body), but I no longer think that after watching a few of games. The only concerns are his 6-4 height not being 'elite' and his character concerns. I don't know. This draft is very thin on elite talent. Smith and Stafford, to me, are the only two elite prospects. All these guys have glaring question marks and concerns.

13. Darius Butler - CB - UConn - I might be the only one with Butler as a top 15 prospect in this draft, but I personally put a premium on corners with size, hips, and ball skills... Butler has all of these in spades. I think he has the ability to be the best man to man corner in this draft. I look for a huge rise up the draft boards for Butler as the draft approaches and would be shocked if his name is not called early in the first round come draft day.
You're not a lone. I have him in my top 5 and pretty much even with Malcolm Jenkins. His footwork is incredible along with his technique. The most fluid DB in the draft, barnone. Very underrated. I thought he would be getting a ton of hype after his combine performance. I thought it was very similar to DRCs performance last year. Only if he ran 4.33.

Good write-ups. An excellent read.

BigBanger
03-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I said that during every game of his college career. Where's Michael Johnson?

He has no business being in a top 100. 4th rounder for his potential alone and for his ability to be a solid situational guy. A big underachiever.

princefielder28
03-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Try his lack of production? I've been saying all year long that Michael Johnson will not be a top draft pick and that he had a very big chance of falling out of the second round. I see nothing special about him in his future pro career - maybe he can be a good rotational player, but he relies way too much on his athleticism to get by in college. He does not impress me at all. This isn't to say that I think he'll be a bust, I'm just saying "I told you so" to all the GT / MJ fans who doubted me when I said around August of last year that Michael Johnson was overrated and would probably fall out of the first round. So far, it looks like it might go that way. Here's to hoping that reality doesn't hit him too hard that he won't be able to get up on his feet and really make it in the pros.

Lack of production???

17.5 TFL, 9 sacks, and 7 passes broken up...looks like production to me

Malaka
03-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Honestly I like Phil Loadholt over Jamon Meredith but that just my opinion. I also think if McCoy runs a sub 4.4 40 he is easily a top 3 RB in this class and could put up a fight for the best.

ZOMGitsjosh
03-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Lack of production???

Two of those sacks were against LSU, the rest were against lower-tier teams. (As far as offensive lines go.)

BPhilb
03-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I really like your list. Watch for William Moore to climb up the draft boards. You were right on your analysis of him and he wasn't used well this year. He ran a 4.39 at his Pro Day today and I belive the talent that made him a Top 15 guy early this year will push him up to the early 2nd round level.

jnew76
03-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Lot of questions and concerns there. I agree with all of it, and for that I have him graded as a third rounder. I don't think he's as good as people think and I don't think he'll go as high as people expect. Never saw top 10 as a possibility.

Moreno is the best RB in this draft and I don't even think its close. He's far and away the best RB prospect.

Just read what you wrote about Wells and then read what you wrote about Moreno. Take the names out of there. What description sounds like a better player?

You didn't even get into his vision and cutting ability. Then his burst and acceleration are both great. He ran just as poor as Wells. Neither are home run threats. We all knew that. Moreno is a much more natural and instinctive runner that plays behind his pads so well. He has a really low bust potential. A complete back that can catch the ball extremely well. Block and has much better size than I think we all thought. If he ran 4.45 he'd be a top 5 player on everyone's board... like Cadillac Williams.

You have him 14th overall. Obviously you would draft him in round 1. If you wouldn't you should have 44th.

I re-watched a few games of his from his sophomore year and couple from last year, and I forgot just how great of talent he is amidst all this negative off-season news. He has the best feet of any Tackle in this draft including Jason Smith, and feet that rival Joe Thomas. He has incredible strength in his lower body. Great knee bend. He's powerful and sometimes mauling in the run blocking game. Exceptional technique and leverage. Can anchor down and shutdown defenders. He is by far the most talented OT in this draft, and even more talented than Jake Long was last year. Andre Smith is an elite talent. I've been worried about his strength in the past (upper body), but I no longer think that after watching a few of games. The only concerns are his 6-4 height not being 'elite' and his character concerns. I don't know. This draft is very thin on elite talent. Smith and Stafford, to me, are the only two elite prospects. All these guys have glaring question marks and concerns.

You're not a lone. I have him in my top 5 and pretty much even with Malcolm Jenkins. His footwork is incredible along with his technique. The most fluid DB in the draft, barnone. Very underrated. I thought he would be getting a ton of hype after his combine performance. I thought it was very similar to DRCs performance last year. Only if he ran 4.33.

Good write-ups. An excellent read.

With regards to Wells/Moreno - He is dropping on my board, but the fact is that with regards to the draft, NFL teams consistently value big backs with both power and explosiveness higher than the 5'10" - 200lb backs that are far more prevalent in the draft. Teams believe they cannot find the big explosive back later in the draft, but can find similar backs to Moreno later in the draft and have proven they can do so consistently.

While "we" can evaluate them on tape and give our opinions, I for one know that while I compare Moreno to Emmitt Smith physically, I have not spoken to him or his coaches in order to "try" and evaluate his intangibles and work ethic moving forward... Emmitt talent was maybe half of the total needed to determine he was going to be an all time great. No one worked harder in the offseason and played as hurt as Emmitt did. That is why I have Moreno as low as I do.

With regards to Andre Smith - While I said in my evaluations I would not draft him, Vontae Davis, or Tyson Jackson, I rated them where I thought their value was. I think a GM would do the same in order to evaluate potential trades if those players were to "slip" to them in the draft.

Thank for the response and the kind words as well.

holt_bruce81
03-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Very nice and well done. In my opinion you have Josh Freeman a little to low though. But still, nice work man.

Iamcanadian
03-05-2009, 11:57 PM
1. Jason Smith - OT - Baylor - Great feet, strength, and solid technique. Long arms and nasty demeanor, I think that Smith has differentiated himself as the pick with the highest upside and lowest downside in this draft. Will be an immediate starter and top LT for 10-12 years in the NFL.

-----The reason Curry is ranked ahead of Smith on most boards is because Smith is still a project and will take awhile to reach his peak. He's not the smooth pass blocker Monroe is and he never had to run block as he will be asked to do as a pro. I agree he will be a solid pro in time but he's not there yet and no where near the prospect Thomas was. I also love his demeanor.

2. Aaron Curry - OLB - Wake Forest - Most talented defender in the draft. Has sideline to sideline speed. Excellent feet and instincts. Very versatile 3 down LB that will be a tremendous match-up weapon in any defensive scheme.

3. Eugene Monroe - OT - Virginia - Most fundamentally sound and refined OT in the draft. Great technician who plays with leverage and strong hands. Might not have the mean streak that I would prefer in an OT. His feet are really good, but not "great". He is a better technician than Jason Smith at this point, but Smith has more upside.

-----I think Monroe is the best pass blocker in the draft however he lacks a physical edge to his game and and probably won't be a great run blocker. He might surprise though because sometimes he makes it look so easy that maybe people underestimate him.

4. Matthew Stafford - QB - Georgia - While I do not think he is in the same class as prospects like P. Manning, Palmer, or even Cutler, I think he is not very far behind. Great arm, good footwork. He spins it with zip and velocity. Would like him to have a better completion percentage and shows questionable decision making at times. Playing in a pro-style offense, and against SEC competition are both pluses in his transition to the NFL. Easily the best pro QB prospect in this draft.

-----A bit too high for my liking. I think he relies too much on his great arm and it has effected his accuracy. He won't get away with it in the pros and we'll just have to see if he adjusts.

5. Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech - Long speed has always been a question mark regarding Crabtree. Those questions might not be answered before the draft with his impending surgery. Well, you can have the long speed and I will take the production and playmaking. Crabtree has extremely strong hands and excellent short area quickness. Creates seperation on short to intermediate routes and runs after the catch. Strong enough to get off the jam against physical corners and has the body control and size to beat smaller corners. An interesting note on Crabtree is that while he measured shorter than expected, he had the 3rd longest arms behind only the 6'6" Ramses Barden and the 6'4" Marko Mitchell.

-----Great overall talent but questions about his ability to get deep and his injury could drop him out of the top 5 IMO.

6. B.J. Raji - DT - Boston College - Easily the best interior lineman in this draft... Combines great short area quickness with tremendous strength to beat single and double teams. Holds up at the point, and can push the pocket from the middle. Sometimes is too agressive and can take him out of plays in the run game.

7. Jeremy Maclin - WR - Missouri - Plays as fast as anyone in the draft. Tremendous burst and acceleration in pads. Rare explosion in space that no other WR in this draft has. Excellent hands and body control. Maclin has good, not great size. Needs to show he can beat the jam and defeat physical corners. Has added skiils in the return game.

-----I think Harvin matches up with him and may be even more explosive. However injury concerns will drop Harvin behind Maclin and Crabtree.

8. Brian Orakpo - DE - Texas - Big boom or bust player that has been an enigma at times in his career. Orakpo is a physical freak with great strength and good speed. Needs to improve his pass rush repetoire, but has only scratched the surface of his raw ability.

9. Malcolm Jenkins - CB/S - Ohio St - Tall, powerful, and extremely quick. Lacks some straight line speed which could limit him to a Cover 2 system or move him inside to safety. Has good hips and change of direction skills. Tremendous ball skills and will hit and support in the run game. I think he end up as a pro bowl safety who can cover over the top and man to man.

-----He reminds me of Brandon Flowers who led the CB pack right up till the combine last year then took a serious dip after running a poor 40. Unless somebody drafts him as a FS, only a Cover 2 team will touch him in the draft and Mayock has already dropped him to #19 on his top 20 list.

10. Darrius Heyward-Bey - WR - Maryland - Fastest straight line speed in the draft and should emerge into at the very least a great deep threat at the next level. DHB's true talents have never been able to come through due to the lack of talent at the QB position in college. I question his lateral quickness and he looks a little tight in the hips which might slow him down out of breaks and hinder his ability to seperate at the next level.

-----Too high IMO, Hands, hands, his just are way too inconsistent.

-----I think his 40 time will drop him some, how far is anybody's guess.

12. Mark Sanchez - QB - USC - Lots of positives combined with lots of question marks. Sanchez has just over a year of starting experience, he played on an all-star team of talent that may have made him look better than he really is. However, he is an extremely hard worker with a lot of talent. He has a strong arm and good accuracy. Played in a pro style offense and has good mechanics and footwork. Was a little inconsistent at times. Really looked bad in the loss to Oregon St. Looked like he was pressing in the 4th quarter and made some bad decisions. Looked like a future pro-bowler at other times, including the Rose Bowl while dismantling the Penn St. secondary.

-----I really like Sanchez and think he will be a great pro given time.

-----I would love Butler as well if only he could tackle. He's going to have to get a lot stronger to survive at the next level.

-----In this draft year, I say yes. IMO, he, Curry and possibly Crabtree are the only top 5 talents in this draft. He's only a junior and being a little immature will probably drop him some but you don't get to be as good as he is by being lazy. It took hard work to make himself an elite athlete and I think he be a great pro.

15. Everette Brown - DE/OLB - Florida St. - Pass rushers are always at a premium in the NFL. Brown is a pure pass rusher with some question marks, but excellent production. Does not have great size, speed, or strength... Has a real nice repetoire of pass rush moves and a knack for getting to the QB. He is a tweener/hybrid type that needs to prove he can hold the edge and drop into coverage if he wants to be an every down player in the NFL. Probably the closest thing to a finished product as a pass rusher in this draft.

-----I have him around #15 as well.

16. Michael Oher - OT - Mississippi - Proven LT who consistently played against top competition in the SEC. Good technique and leverage. Uses big frame and strong hands to neutralize defenders. Can sometimes let defenders in to close to his body and lose his leverage. Needs to refine his technique and hand placement. Slightly limited physically when compared to the three tackles above him in the draft.

17. Percy Harvin - WR - Florida - Harvin is like a Ferrari... When healthy, he is extremely fast, has tremendous acceleration, and corners like he is on rails. When not, be seems to be in the shop for months at a time. Harvin is a big play waiting to happen. Electric in the open field and displays the ability to line up all over the field. An interesting prospect that might not have an actual position at the next level. Might need to have a creative offensive coordinator to be successful.

18. Vontae Davis - CB - Illinois - Another prospect I would not draft, but have to include on my board. He is big and physical with good ball skills. I think he is a Chris McCallister clone that can match up with the bigger WR's in the NFL. Excellent speed and quickness, questionable coachability and attitude. He will be drafted very high on his tremendous potential despite being benched at Illinois. Another buyer beware prospect with perhaps more upside than question marks.

19. Ray Maualuga - ILB - USC - A thumper at MLB. Reminds me of Jeremiah Trotter on the football field. Should be a force in the middle for years, but might be a liability in the pass game later in his career. Should rack up the tackles and clog the middle. Needs to play in the right scheme and might have trouble playing sideline to sideline in the NFL.

20. Jarron Gilbert - DE - San Jose St. - When it is all said and done, I may very well have Gilbert as a top 10 prospect in this draft as I think he has that type of talent. Size/speed/strength/production - He has everything. Powerful athlete with the potential, IMO, to dominate at the next level as a 4-3 DE, or as a 3-4 DE... Has excellent ability to play in space and the strength to hold up against the run. Could also add weight and end up as an elite DT. The sky is the limit for Gilbert. Son of former Saints OT Daren Gilbert. Needs to learn to use his hands better to utilize his natural strength.

-----Definitely an intriguing prospect who is on the rise.

21. Alphonso Smith - CB - Wake Forest - Playmaker, Ball Hawk, with fantastic quickness and technique as a pass defender. Great instincts and work ethic. He is quicker, rather than fast... But his change of direction and hips are elite. Makes plays on the ball when given the opportunity. 6 interceptions in each of his last two seasons.

22. Robert Ayers - DE - Tennessee - Classic one year wonder who had the light come on in his last year on campus. Ayers is a perfect fit as a 4-3 DE and as one of the few players in this draft that fills that role which ups his value at least 10 spots in this draft. He is strong at the point and plays the run very well. He has some pass rush ability and is a good athlete that has some real upside.

23. Peria Jerry - DT - Mississippi - Tremendous producer on the field. Jerry is the most disruptive DT in this draft. He plays with great quickness and leverage. Has shown the ability to play the run with surprising strength. Prototypical 3-tech DT who will need to play next to a solid bigger DT to excel at the next level. Poor mans Amobe Akoye.

24. Larry English - DE - Northern Illinois - Fast rising DE prospect who flashes tremendous potential and ability to rush the passer. Is raw with regards to technique, but plays with leverage and speed. Question marks regarding his level of competition, but proved he could hold his own at the senior bowl as he improved dramatically over the course of the week. Impressive initial quickness off the ball.

25. Brian Cushing - OLB - USC - I think Cushing might be a little better at 235lbs rather than the 243 he weighed in at the combine. He did show very well in the quickness and change of direction drills at the combine, but I think he would play better as an OLB in the NFL at a little lighter weight. He is a natural football player who will work very hard and play every down. If he maintains the weight he might get a look as an ILB at the next level.

26. Brandon Pettigrew - TE - Oklahoma St. - Pettigrew is a tremendous in-line blocker and receiver. Good strong hands and big frame. I question his value at the next level, because he might be more of a luxury than a weapon. I believe there might be 10 teams in the NFL that value Pettigrew's skill set enough to make him their 1rst round pick. Combined with his off the field trouble I could see a slide come draft day.

27. Kenny Britt - WR - Rutgers - Big, powerful, and fast WR. Reminds me of a young Brandon Marshall, with less baggage. Britt was the shining star of an offense that had its struggles this year. Britt is an extremely good route runner and catches the ball all over the field. He is good over the middle and makes catches in traffic with his hands.

28. James Laurinaitis - ILB - Ohio St. - JL is a very solid ILB who plays with strength and athleticism. What you see is what you get... He is a lunch pail guy who will come to work every Sunday and compete. I question whether or not he has reached his potential or not. Looking at tape, I don't think he has improved as much as you would hope over the last 3 years. I don't think he diagnosed plays any better as a senior than he did as a Junior. I think you get a good solid producer at the next level, but he may never be an all-pro.

29. Connor Barwin - DE/OLB - Cincinnati - Productive at Cincinnati at both TE and DE, Barwin really came into his own as a pass rusher for the Bearcats. Barwin relied mostly on athletic ability and a non-stop motor to get to the passer. He will need to develop better technique and hand placement. Despite being thought of as exclusively as a pass rusher, Barwin was surprisingly good against the run. Should play 3-4 OLB in the pros, but has the athletic ability and frame to play elsewhere.

-----I think he is going to need some time at the next level. He is new to the defensive side and now he will be asked to play OLBer in a 3-4. It won't be an easy transition.

31. Ron Brace - DT - Boston College - As a 3-4 NT Brace is exactly what teams look for. Plays with leverage, strength, and power. Holds up at the point and occupies blockers with his big body. Has shown the ability to collapse the pocket at times, and was particularly impressive to me at the senior bowl. Not a natural pass rusher and does not really have any moves, but he is strong as a bull and enables the people behind him to flow to the ball and make plays.

-----Even in this average draft, I cannot see him as a 1st rounder but you never know.

32. Donald Brown - RB - UConn - Brown exploded on the scene this season when an injury made him the only back UCONN could give the ball to. Brown responded by turning in one of the best statistical years in NCAA history. Rushing for over 2000 yards while averaging 5.7ypc. Brown surprised some with his athleticism at the combine, but proved to be explosive throughout his Junior year. Excellent patience in the hole. Has vision and burst, and has proven he can break tackles and get yards after contact. Has excellent size for the position, and proved his durability with 367 carries last year without missing a game.

33. William Beatty - OT - UConn - High ceiling, but a low floor, Beatty is a projection whose great feet and athleticism are much better than his technique at this point. When he maintains his technique he is a fantastic pass protector and potential LT. Can play too high at times and lose his leverage. Lacks some pop in his initial punch. can be over-powered, as witnessed at times in the senior bowl practices, but showed by the end of the week that he was coachable and responded by being one of the most improved players of the week.

-----His problem right now is that he has no intial punch which allows defenders to get way too close to his body. Great athleticism to be a LT but he needs a lot of work in the strength room to be able to start at the next level.

34. Clay Matthews - OLB - USC - Matthews is a bit of a late bloomer and is not nearly as heralded as the rest of the USC linebacking corp, but may very well end up being the best of the bunch. Athletic and versatile LB who could play a few positions at the next level. Excellent bloodlines, definitely has his best football in front of him.

-----I have the same feeling.

35. Sean Smith - CB/S - Utah - Big, athletic and talented... Is he a corner? I think so. He has good hips and enough speed and lateral quickness to play the position. Smith is a willing, but not a physical tackler. He can be physical in coverage and plays well with his hands. Probably not a fit in every scheme at CB, but offers versatility in the ability to play safety. Covers a lot of ground with a bit of a long stride, but still has the ability to play low and backpedal with some efficiency.

36. LeSean McCoy - RB - Pittsburgh - I would like to have seen McCoy run at the combine, as I think he would have helped his stock with his times relative to the rest of the RB's. McCoy is a very nimble and quick RB who plays his best in space. He is not overly powerful or physical. More of a make you miss RB. Good receiver out of the backfield. At 198lbs I question whether he can take the pounding of a 16 game seasaon and duplicate his 300+ carry season this year at Pitt. Might be the only back in the draft that is a legit big play threat. Has relatively small hands and struggled holding onto the ball as a senior.

37. Alex Mack - OC - California - Good size for a center. Plays with a nasty demeanor and finishes blocks. Good functional strength and leverage. Quick off the ball and technically sound in the pivot. I think he is easily the best Center prospect in this draft. Has some added value with the size and athleticism to play guard as well.

-----Mayock says he ends up on the ground a bit too much for his liking. Functional strength may be a problem.

38. Jared Cook - TE - South Carolina - An underutilized weapon in college, who suffered from the QB carousel at South Carolina. A converted WR who has tremendous upside. Questions about his blocking ability might keep him off the field and he is not a fit in all schemes.

39. William Moore - S - Missouri - I think Moore did a lot at the combine to rehabilitate his stock. He was very impressive in his drops and change of direction drills. Had a very poor senior season and was not utilized in a way to maximize his talents. He is a playmaker but played with nagging injuries all year. Led the nation in INT's as a junior. Can cover a lot of ground, has decent instincts, and solid tackler. Has a true love of the game and makes big plays. Defensive MVP of the 2007 Cotton Bowl.

-----He will need the proper defensive system to be effective IMO. I don't think he'll do well if asked to cover anybody in man coverage. I didn't like his feet/hips at the Senior Bowl.

40. Eben Britton - OT - Arizona - Started 37 games in three years at Arizona, but only one of those years at LT. Britton has slimmed down considerably over the course of college and his comitment to his physical condition has allowed his athleticism to show. His arms are a little short, and his strength is not overwhelming. Could be overpowered at the next level. Might end up playing RT and excel. Needs to be a little nastier in the run game.

Strictly a RT IMO but maybe a little better than you think.

41. Louis Delmas - S - Central Michigan - Delmas is a really good player with great leadership skills. Excellent tackler with good ball skills. Diagnoses plays well and rarely gets beat by play action. He is agressive and plays with speed and tenacity. Not a great coverage safety and will struggle to match up in man coverage. Takes good angles for the most part and, combined with his instincts, makes him a very efficient safety without much wasted motion.

-----The way this guy hits people, I doubt he get past a very early 2nd round pick at the latest unless people are concerned about his longevity.

42. D.J. Moore - CB - Vanderbilt - Moore is a pure Cover-2 corner in my book. Has great short area quickness and can plant and drive on short routes as well as any qb in the draft. Good tackler who looks to strip the ball after contact. Good upper body build will help him at the line of scrimmage against bigger receivers. Moore plays bigger than he is, but his size is still a question mark. Does not have good long speed. Will be blocked by bigger WR's in the run game. Might have the best ball skills of any CB in the draft. Can take it the distance after the interception.

43. Jamon Merideth - OT - South Carolina - Really passes the eyeball and measureables test. Showed versatility throughout his college career. However, he was inconsistent at times throughout. His ability to play any position except center on the offensive line increases his draft stock and I think he could get real close to the 1rst round if there is a run on Offensive linemen.

44. Josh Freeman - QB - Kansas St. - Physically gifted, with prototypical size. Freeman is a developmental QB that will be over-drafted based on potential. Needs a minimum of 2 years on the bench to develop, but has all the tools to do so. Huge boom or bust prospect who may or may not ever pick up the nuances of the position in the NFL. To his credit, he played on a Kansas St. team that might not have another player drafted this year.

-----He'll likely go round 1 but I agree he could bust.

45. Tyson Jackson - DE/DT - LSU - Versatile defensive lineman that will be over-drafted because of his size and athleticism. IMO, he is an under-achiever... however, I think the defensive staff at LSU, who have since been replaced, were not respected by the defensive players which lead to some poor performances. Whether Jackson can show more drive and coachability in the pros remains to be seen, but I would rather have another team besides my own find out.

-----I agree with your assessment but everybody seems to like him in the middle of round 1. Just have to see if we are right.

46. Hakeem Nicks - Wr - North Carolina - Strong, well built WR, with excellent run after the catch ability. Nicks is a really good route runner that played in a pro style offense and understands a lot of the nuances of route running.
Decent speed, but not a burner. Plays big in big games and can dominate opposing CB's with his physicality.

47. Bernard Scott - RB - Abilene Christian - I am amazed at the number of people who do not know how good this player is. If he played in a BCS conference I think he would be discussed as a top 15 pick. Of course, there are a number of reasons he does not play in a BCS conference and none of them are good. Scott has 5 arrests in his college career and when he failed to make grades out of JUCO, he had all of his offers from BCS schools pulled. No way he sniffs the first day of the draft, but if your team grabs him late, you are getting one of the 20 most talented players in this draft... mark my words.

48. Clint Sintim - OLB - Virginia - Does everything well, but is not spectacular in any one area. Has an understanding of the 3-4 defense and should transition well into the pros. Four year starter at Virginia, who improved every year. Not overly athletic or instinctive, but rushes the passer well and makes plays in the backfield. Lacks suddenness off the ball, but plays non-stop. An NFL starter, but might never be at an elite level. One of the most finished products in the draft and one of the few players coming out of a 3-4 scheme.

49. Brian Robiskie - WR - Ohio St. - Big, angular WR who is a polished route runner and has decent long speed. Will create seperation with his body which makes up for some of his lack of short area quickness. A posession receiver at the next level who will play smart and move the chains consistently.

50. Max Unger - OC/OG - Oregon - Versatile interior lineman who's stock is higher because of his ability to play a variety of positions along the O-Line including center. Does not have great feet or strength, but is a good technician who competes every play.

51. Rashad Johnson - S - Alabama - 5th year senior who was the emotional leader of a great Alabama defense. Has good range and instincts, combined with solid ball skills and tackling ability. Not as big as some prefer at the safety position and not a fit in every system. Decent change of direction skills and some man coverage ability. Is not a force against the run and is not an impact hitter. Does not have the upside of other prospects.

52. Shawn Nelson - TE - Southern Mississippi - Excellent athlete with really good speed and quickness. Runs like a WR and has explosive short area burst. Plays fast and can stretch the field. Smooth athlete who looks effortless in routes. Can be a little sloppy in his routes. Does not have the bulk teams like in a TE. Showed at the Senior Bowl that he is willing to block and compete.

53. Evander "Ziggy" Hood - DT - Missouri - Hood is an excellent 3-Tech tackle prospect who does nothing great, but everything well. Does not always play up to his measurables, but he has been a consistent performer with a great motor. Tall, and carries his weight well, maybe too well. He lacks some lower body girth that many teams look for in a DT. Should be a solid contributor for many years in the NFL.

-----He had an amazing pro day and it may well move him into round 1 but won't fit every system.

54. Juaquin Iglesias - WR - Oklahoma - Iglesias will never run 4.3 or jump 40", but he will get open and catch the ball. He will do it over the middle, on the sidelines, or down the field. He has strong hands and a knack of getting open. Could be a top #2 WR, or a great slot reciever. He is a player every team would like to have. Not flashy, but gets the job done.

55. Keenan Lewis - CB - Oregon St. - Press man corner who has decent hips, but struggles in his backpedal. Good short area quickness alows him to stay on WR's hip and maintain his coverage down the field. Has good ball skills and long lean body helps him make plays on the ball. Has an amazing 51 starts in college and is the most experienced DB in this class.

56. Duke Robinson - OG - Oklahoma - Big, strong, mauler, who envelopes defenders once he engages. Not asked to pull in college and might not be able to do so in the NFL. Not a fit in all systems. Does not block well in space and has trouble getting to the 2nd level. Will dominate as a straight ahead run blocker and is tough to get around in the passing game.

57. Lawrence Sidbury Jr. - DE/OLB - Richmond - Long, lean, angular, with really long arms. A project who is more of an athlete than a pass rusher at this point. Sidbury has a decent pass rush repetoire and uses leverage well. Very good in pursuit and in space. Has narrow hips and lacks lower body bulk. He is a little stiff as an athlete. Lacks the strength to stack and shed against the run, but has the frame to add weight/strength. Progressed throughout senior bowl week, but never flashed like many hoped he would in individual drills.

58. Xavier Fulton - RT/OG - Illinois - Another O-Line prospect with good feet and athleticism, who is clearly raw, but responded well to coaching at the Senior Bowl. Fulton Has a great frame and can add strength and weight. Might be better on the right side, or inside initially, but has the ability to eventually project to LT.

59. Paul Kruger - DE - Utah - Relentless pass rusher who plays the run very well. Can play in space and drop into coverage as well. Did not workout at the comnine, and has some questions to answer at his pro day. Looks fast and athletic on film. Pursues well and plays with tremendous motor. Only 2 years college experience after going on a 2 year LDS mission... Will be 23 as a rookie. Plays a little high at times and will need to refine his technique. Has a great frame and could add weight. Could play 3-4 Rush LB or as a DE in a 4-3. Look for him to rise up boards as the draft approaches.

60. Gerald McRath - MLB - McRath looks to be a potential Tampa 2 MLB who can drop in coverage as well as any MLB in this draft. He was a tackling machine in college and plays sideline to sideline. Good blitzer with nose for the football. Lacks some bulk, but has been healthy for most of his career. Interesting prospect who has lots of upside. Could also play WILB in a 3-4 or WLB in a 4-3. Has versatility.

61. Darry Beckwith - MLB - LSU - Solid sideline to sideline MLB who will make tackles all over the field with his ability to close and cover ground. Good lateral quickness and a sure tackler. Needs to play behind good D-Line that keeps lineman from getting to him. Does not shed blocks well. Gets lost in the scrum.

62. Coye Francies - CB - San Jose St. - Might have the best hips and agility of any CB in this draft. Has nice size and frame. Good hitter who plays the run very well. Could play in multiple defenses. Probably best suited in a cover-2, but him man-2-man ability makes him versatile. Makes plays on the ball and does well in space. Does not have deep speed, and can be beat over the top. Has better accelleration than speed which helps his intermediate route coverage and make up speed. Can plant and drive on the ball with efficiency and ease. Should be a starter in the NFL.

63. Patrick Chung - S - Oregon - Hard hitting safety who diagnoses plays quickly and lays the wood. Might be the most sure tackler as a safety in the draft. Plays fast and is good at recognizing play action. Not a superior athlete, but does his best to make up for it with his instincts and intelligence. Good size and well built frame. Probably best in a zone scheme where he is not asked to cover man-to-man. Good blitzer, who can get to the QB and disrupt timing in the backfield.

64. Chase Coffman - TE - Missouri - Some serious injury concerns continue to drop Coffman. He has the best hands of any player in this draft. He is a huge target that uses his body and leaping ability to create seperation and mismatches. Has good natural strength and decent speed. Lacks burst and short area quickness. Never asked to be an in-line blocker at the college level, he has been unable to address those questions while recovering from a "Jones Fracture" in his left foot. Big risk/reward player at this point who might not have a 40 time prior to the draft.

Just Missed

Derrick Williams - WR - PSU
Michael Johnson - DE - Georgia Tech
Phil Loadholt - OT/OG - Oklahoma
Sen'Derrick Marks - DT - Auburn
Jairus Byrd - CB - Oregon
Andre Brown - RB - NC St.
Victor Harris - CB - VATech

-----I am beginning to have Loadholt grow on me as a RT. Plays way too tall now but if he learns to bend more he might make a solid starter.
Andre Brown sold me and I think he is definitely a riser in this year's draft. I think high 2nd round but that's only me.

This is a very fine piece of work on your part, a really thorough analysis even if I differ occasionally. Love it when somebody puts this much effort into their board with substantial backup supporting details.
My wife is calling me to go to bed, if I have time I'll review the rest tomorrow.

Me Likey Rookies
03-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Very nice job man! Just from a quick glance, I think you might have DHB too high (too inconsistent for me, disapeared in games), and Hakeem Nicks too low.

ThePudge
03-06-2009, 02:20 AM
I read the entire thing, great work. There were some things I really liked, and of course some things I disagreed with. However, NFL teams all have different boards and there is hardly a unanimously correct Big Board, so it's fine and I'm not going to introduce my opinion as fact. Since it's late and I'm naturally tired at 3:20 AM, I'm going to sleep and I'll review in-depth in the morn-hmm.. early afternoon perhaps. I did read everything a bit earlier though, I should have plenty to say and we should have plenty to discuss.

OneToughGame
03-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Few things I disagree with you on in this but other then that you did a really good job. +Rep.

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
03-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Knowshon below Beanie.....lol.

Knowshon's one of the best college RB's Ive ever seen.

ThePudge
03-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Knowshon below Beanie.....lol.

Knowshon's one of the best college RB's Ive ever seen.

You must not have been watching college football very long. Wells is a Top 5-10 talent and clearly the most gifted back in the draft but concerns about passion/durability will drop him right out of the Top 10-15, and then the fact that teams don't need running backs may drop him right out of the Top 20. Knowshon is a great player, but he is not the most talented tailback in this draft, nor would he have been the top Running Back in any draft dating back to... hm, perhaps 2005 depending on how high you were on Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, and Cadillac Williams. Knowshon was a very good college back, the best at UGA in quite some time (perhaps Herschel Walker), but that's a pretty ridiculous statement hahaha.

fear the elf
03-06-2009, 08:15 AM

does he lack the ability, or just the opportunity? i don't remember him being thrown to very often and when it did happen i don't remember him looking bad at it. just nit-picking i guess. nice job, very thorough.

twista6002
03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
So, how is DHB ahead of Kenny Britt?

Kase1
03-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Nice read, def helped kill time at work

roscoesdad27
03-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Lack of production???

beat me to it....I have johnson going 13 overall to the redskins...right behind orakpo for best pure 4-3 d.e. in the draft.

Kase1
03-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Great talent, questionable motor...... IMO M. Johnson would be an awful pick for the skins, he needs a total disciplinarian as a coach and being in DC isnt gonna l\help that. Orakpo would be a NASTY pick for the skins though

roscoesdad27
03-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Great talent, questionable motor...... IMO M. Johnson would be an awful pick for the skins, he needs a total disciplinarian as a coach and being in DC isnt gonna l\help that. Orakpo would be a NASTY pick for the skins though

I think he would excel there...esp. now with haynesworth in the middle.

Kase1
03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I think he would excel there...esp. now with haynesworth in the middle.

If the skins got someone that'd whoop his ass into shape Parcells style he would be a good fit, but being surrounded by all that money I dont think itd be a good fit for him, but who knows maybe he's out 2 prove 'the haters' wrong

Hograiser
03-08-2009, 01:32 PM
no aaron maybin?

Maybin is a legit top 20 and has the most upside of all the DE/OLB in the draft

PossibleCabbage
03-08-2009, 01:49 PM
no aaron maybin?

Maybin is a legit top 20 and has the most upside of all the DE/OLB in the draft

Agreed. If it was my list, I would replace Everette Brown with Aaron Maybin at that spot. I'm not high on Brown, so I might leave him out of the top 64 entirely, but he probably merits around a 50.

Maybin's raw, but he's more explosive than Brown.

Race for the Heisman
03-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I didn't read the whole thing, but the first 15 or so looked solid. That said, Xavier Fulton? He's got to be a fourth rounder tops by general consensus and I'm not inclined to disagree.