PDA

View Full Version : Best Cover Corner?

foozball
03-06-2009, 12:21 PM
With no respect to ballskills, who are the top 5 (in order) man to man, 1 on 1, cover corners? I know moore and smith have great ballskills, but what about their ability to man up?

roscoesdad27
03-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I love jenkins in press man...davis and sean smith would be very good for press man as well....butler would be a very good man guy but i'm not sure about press man.

d.j. moore and alphonso smith are more cover 2 guys, quicker than fast and dont have the physicality to make up for it at the line of scrimmage.

bored of education
03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Darius Butler ftw!

Don Vito
03-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah Darius Butler is the man, and he looks like a receiver when the ball is in the air. He was really impressive in the position drills at the combine. I would love for the Pats to grab him, he is a playmaker.

ElectricEye
03-06-2009, 01:05 PM
d.j. moore and alphonso smith are more cover 2 guys, quicker than fast and dont have the physicality to make up for it at the line of scrimmage.

I don't think that's very accurate. I agree to the extent they're both more quick than fast(although speed isn't a problem), but both of them are pretty physical.

Cicero
03-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Mark Parson is the best man corner in my opinion.

Iamcanadian
03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah Darius Butler is the man, and he looks like a receiver when the ball is in the air. He was really impressive in the position drills at the combine. I would love for the Pats to grab him, he is a playmaker.

Darius Butler would indeed be special if he could tackle. Unfortunately he can't and will have to build up his strength to start at the next level. Excellent in man coverage but useless in supporting the run defense.

BeerBaron
03-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Darius Butler would indeed be special if he could tackle. Unfortunately he can't and will have to build up his strength to start at the next level. Excellent in man coverage but useless in supporting the run defense.

Thats a trade off a lot of the top corners have to overcome. Luckily though I think it's easier to teach a guy who to wrap up tackle than it is to ask him to learn to cover better...some guys are just naturals at that like Butler seems to be.

PACKmanN
03-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I don't see any CB who pops out as a solid 1v1 CB. I think most, if not all, are better suited for zone.

Top 5
1. Malcolm Jenkins
2. Darius Butler
3. Coye Francies
4. Kevin Barnes
5. Mike Mickens

those are, imo, the top 5 man-to-man CBs.

03-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Butler's hips are as fluid as anyone's in this class and he ran a very solid time in comparison to the rest at his position. He's gotta be right up there in the top 2 or 3.

diabsoule
03-06-2009, 03:49 PM
He won't rank as the best but Bradley Fletcher is like a mirror on guys.

thebow305
03-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Alphonso Smith is no doubt the best man-to-man cover corner in this draft. It truly is a a shame that he is only 5'9". You've heard it before, and it cannot be said enough that if he was only two inches or so taller, he would be sure-fire Top 10 pick.

Based on that:

For Top 5, I'd say:

1. Alphonso Smith
2. Darius Butler
3. Malcolm Jenkins
4. Mike Mickens
5. Sean Smith :)

tjsunstein
03-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Darius Butler is nice. Jenkins could man up in college but that may change in the NFL, he seems more of a FS/Cover 2 corner.

Texas Homer
03-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Jenkins.

I think Jenkins is going to be a stud DB in the NFL.

ThePudge
03-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Darius Butler, in my opinion, is the best strictly man cover corner in this draft. He has excellent cover skills, fluid hips, is smooth in his transitions, is quick in his backpedal, and can run with anyone. He will need to add strength though, as he is not exactly a press-man corner, he's just not that strong or physical.

Alphonso Smith really fits in a man or zone cover system. Due to his ball skills, short area quickness, recovery speed, and instincts, I think Smith in a zone would work extremely well. He is a bit short, at the NFL level, in man coverage and could be picked on by bigger receivers. Still, he plays plenty physical and can mirror his opposition. He definitely deserves a mention.

Malcolm Jenkins is a hell of a man corner as well. His strength, unlike Butler, is press man coverage. Jenkins is big, physical, has long arms, smart, and despite what you hear, he is very quick in his backpedal (though his hips are a little too high), he is fluid in his transitions, and has very good change of direction skills. I may not want him on Ted Ginn Jr. or Jeremy Maclin on a vertical route, but Jenkins went from overrated to underrated very fast around here. A good press-man corner or cover 2 corner.

D-Unit
03-07-2009, 03:15 AM
Jairus Byrd. So underrated.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:24 AM
Coye Francies is my favorite guy to man up. He is just a guy who is alot like Mike Jenkins last year...player almost exclusively man to man in college....and has the talent to stick with anyone.