PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City May Lose Chiefs

HawkeyeFan
03-06-2009, 01:21 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,506325,00.html

Officials are worried that Kansas City's Major League football and baseball teams may be forced to leave because of budget deficits.

Jackson County Executive Mike Sanders has reported an $85 million budget shortfall that needs to be taken care of by the end of the month and may force the Chiefs and the Royals to go elsewhere, according to KMBC.com.

To relieve the deficit, Mayor Mark Funkhouser has proposed a budget that would eliminate the nearly $2 million the city spends annually on the Truman Sports Complex, the station said.

If the proposal is passed, the city will pull the yearly contribution, breaking the lease on the sports complex with no guarantee of keeping the two teams.

"This came with no notice to us. We were unaware that this was even going to be an issue," Sanders said in a radio interview. "Those leases are now gone. We would be on a tightrope or a high wire with no safety net."

yourfavestoner
03-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Come To La!

Basileus777
03-06-2009, 01:32 PM
It's not happening over $2 million.

Splat
03-06-2009, 01:41 PM
"A source with knowledge of the situation has reminded us that the Hunt family has committed $125 million to Arrowhead Stadium renovations that are due to be completed in 2010."

Bottom line the Chiefs are going nowhere.

End of thread.

M.O.T.H.
03-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I thought this was going to be another thing over the actual "chiefs" name. I was gonna say, you'd expect a name like the Redskins would go first. I mean come on, seriously. haha.

Another conversation entirely.

Sveen
03-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm sure Los Angeles would love to have them as anyone else ;)

M.O.T.H.
03-06-2009, 01:50 PM
The funny thing is that a few years ago...The Orlando Magic were really close to moving to Kansas City.

TheBuffaloBills
03-06-2009, 01:52 PM
No city deserves to lose their team. Not one. Its like losing a family member that you think about everyday.

Splat
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
You don't drop 125 millon of your own money like Chiefs owner Clark Hunt just did in to a stadium then move the team away from that stadium.

yourfavestoner
03-06-2009, 02:07 PM
los angeles would love to have any team for about a week. then they would predictably fail to support that team, and that team would move away. this should all sound familiar. LA is a pathetic football market.

Build the new stadium and the fans will come. Who the **** would ever want to go to the Coliseum in the middle of the hood to watch an NFL team? Not a lot of people.

PACKmanN
03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
wow, that would destroy the fan base. They are top 5

the decider13
03-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Move em to OKC...not too far of a drive, and I could have a local team to support. Although, I'm not the only Broncos fan here, I did see a guy wearing a broncos beanie at a Thunder game.

But like Splat said, they arent going anywhere. I guess I'm just a little anxious to get a team here haha

Menardo75
03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Well L.A. did approve to build a new stadium.

T-RICH49
03-06-2009, 03:43 PM
It'd be a dark day if we lost the Chiefs and Royals

vidae
03-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Hell, take the Royals but leave the Chiefs imo.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I really doubt this even comes close to happening.

Brent
03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
"A source with knowledge of the situation has reminded us that the Hunt family has committed $125 million to Arrowhead Stadium renovations that are due to be completed in 2010."
LOL at FoxNews. What a joke. More garbage from a garbage news source.

T-RICH49
03-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Hell, take the Royals but leave the Chiefs imo.

don't take any of them

D-Unit
03-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm surprised Portland doesn't have a team.

bored of education
03-06-2009, 05:03 PM

Yeah Portland, ME is a hot bed for football. wtf NFL get on it!

Brent
03-06-2009, 05:21 PM
While there may be a lot of people, it's not a strong enough market for a football team.

TheBuffaloBills
03-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Here is an essay I wrote back in 8th grade about teams relocating
Relocation of NFL Teams: Its all true. I am completely against teams moving:

Have you ever wondered what happened to the cities that once had a NFL franchise? The relocation of a National Football League team can have devastating consequences to the fans, players and the city. Since 1960, eight NFL franchises relocated to a new area. Some cities got their team back after time, but some didn’t. Luckily, a NFL team has not moved in over ten years, but that might change in the future.
Relocating NFL franchises can take a toll on the mentality of fans and players. In 1996, the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and became know as the Ravens. The Browns’ fans revolted and filed over one-hundred lawsuits. During the Browns’ last game in Cleveland, chaos broke out. In the last moments of the game, fans started to tear apart the stadium. Seats and railings were ripped off and thrown. In 1984, the Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis overnight. According to Wikipedia.com, several Mayflower Transit trucks were dispatched and lugged all the equipment out of town at three o’clock in the morning. This affected the legal system of Baltimore. To prevent the relocation, Baltimore was going to pass a law (eminent by domain) which would put off the moving. However, the Colts owner and Indianapolis’ mayor reached an agreement before Maryland passed the bill. That was the reason for the abrupt relocation of the franchise. Relocation of a NFL franchise can affect the lives of the players, too. Once their team moves, they have to move too. The players are forced to sell their houses and buy new ones. Their children will have to make new friends and attend a different school. If a player becomes stressed over these things, it may negatively affect their performance on the field. Relocation can cause havoc for a city, players and fans.
Many restaurants and retail stores rely on a team for their success. Sports bars bring in more people if they are on TV. More people will mean more money. There are also countless stores that rely on the teams merchandise and memorabilia. If the team were to move the store will have an extraordinarily tough time surviving. If a team store were to close, the employed become unemployed. Personally, not including ticket prices, I have spent over five-hundred dollars on Bills memorabilia and merchandise in my lifetime. If the team moves, all my Bills belongings become worthless.
I surveyed twenty-five people over eighteen years of age about the topic of moving a NFL franchise. Not surprisingly, twenty-four believed that if a team where to relocate, it would negatively affect the fans, players, and the city. I asked the one person for his reasoning for being a proponent of moving a franchise. He wanted too see a bigger city like Los Angeles with a team. He also said the small market teams should be replaced with large market teams. I countered his argument by explaining how the Los Angeles Rams had to move in the first place. It was due to poor attendance at their football games. I also explained how a team that moved to a new area may have a small fan base because of the team’s performance. If the team plays poorly in the beginning, many fans will be turned away. The team wont have the loyal smaller market Packers, Browns, Bills, etc. fans that always sellout no matter the teams record. About three-hundred people took a survey asking many questions about expansion and relocation of the NFL on Misterpoll.com. One question was “What NFL team(s) should be moved?” The answer with the most votes was “The NFL doesn't need to relocate”. Thirty-one percent of the people believed no team should move.
The relocation of a NFL franchise can produce drastic consequences. It can hurt the mental state of the fans. Also, players’ lives will change along with their family. The moving of a team will negatively affect the financial situation of the city. Businesses that rely on Bills memorabilia will go bankrupt. Some of the best sports bars will have a difficult time staying open. The best way to prevent the relocation of your favorite team is to buy tickets and support your team. Though it’s a possibility, hopefully we will not witness a relocation of a National Football League franchise in our life time.

bigbluedefense
03-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Build the new stadium and the fans will come. Who the **** would ever want to go to the Coliseum in the middle of the hood to watch an NFL team? Not a lot of people.

id watch the giants at a high school gymnasium for all i care.

The problem with LA is its fickle fan base. They love the Lakers bc theyre always good. They pretend to love USC. But football has too much parity for a team to constantly be good, and during bad times, that football team won't be supported in LA.

tjsunstein
03-07-2009, 08:56 AM
id watch the giants at a high school gymnasium for all i care.

The problem with LA is its fickle fan base. They love the Lakers bc theyre always good. They pretend to love USC. But football has too much parity for a team to constantly be good, and during bad times, that football team won't be supported in LA.

Seriously. The Kings, Clippers, and Lakers all play in the Staples center. Say something?

TimD
03-07-2009, 12:55 PM
the kings and the clippers suck, but there's no talk of them being moved. I think LA should get another chance at a football team. its been 15 years or so.

jballa838
03-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Seriously. The Kings, Clippers, and Lakers all play in the Staples center. Say something?
Kings play at Arco Arena.
Which is in sacramento. Which is 385 miles from Los Angeles.
And Seattle to Portland is 185 miles, and they never had problems filling up The Rose Garden and Key for a while.
but you were saying?

M.O.T.H.
03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
He was talking about the hockey team...also named the Kings.

kmartin575
03-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Kings play at Arco Arena.
Which is in sacramento. Which is 385 miles from Los Angeles.
And Seattle to Portland is 185 miles, and they never had problems filling up The Rose Garden and Key for a while.
but you were saying?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Kings

But you were saying?

Shane P. Hallam
03-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I still think a team in Vegas would boom moreso than LA

adschofield
03-07-2009, 01:40 PM
First off, the cut of 2 million is proposed--meaning it hasn't been passed yet. The Mayor proposed the cut, and he is extremely unpopular, and it would not surprise me to see City Council ignore the cut and not include it in the final budget.

Second, both the Royals and the Chiefs have invested millions of dollars into their stadiums, and both have received millions of dollars from the public. I would be shocked to see either leave.

M.O.T.H.
03-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Vegas would seem brilliant for Basketball. Given the later start of the games and all.

Brent
03-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I still think a team in Vegas would boom moreso than LA
The stigma of gambling will hurt their chances of ever landing an NBA, MLB or NFL team. Which is sad because an NBA or NFL team would never have problems filling the stands in Vegas.

Smokey Joe
03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
LOL at FoxNews. What a joke. More garbage from a garbage news source.
Way to make a completely irrelevant post. This story was originally reported by a local Kansas City station which is affiliated with ABC.

But that's besides the point. While something like this is possible, it's extremely unlikely with how much money the Chiefs and Royals have put into renovating their stadiums.

Shane P. Hallam
03-07-2009, 07:41 PM
The stigma of gambling will hurt their chances of ever landing an NBA, MLB or NFL team. Which is sad because an NBA or NFL team would never have problems filling the stands in Vegas.

I recognize, but it is a good city, and I am unsure how the gambling would affect anything, but that is me.

Kase1
03-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Id watch the Giants in The Pink Houses in East NY (for all NYC outsiders, this is possibly the most dangerous housing project in NYC), if the fans are dedicated it dont matter where the team plays

Hell if the packers played in the north pole or the Cowboys in Mexico City, they'd still put up great attendance

Kase1
03-07-2009, 07:59 PM
If LA is gonna get a team give em a brand new franchise dont give them someone elses team

nepg
03-09-2009, 09:34 AM
The Chiefs aren't going anywhere. There's no where else they can go and fill a stadium no matter how bad the team is... And the Royals are perennially among the highest net profit teams in MLB.
________
Park Royal Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

BPhilb
03-09-2009, 09:38 AM
The Chiefs aren't going anywhere. There's no where else they can go and fill a stadium no matter how bad the team is... And the Royals are perennially among the highest net profit teams in MLB.

To that point, Clark Hunt has already said they are not leaving. They just got a huge stadium renovation and are not going to walk on a technicality.