PDA

View Full Version : Jets FA signings

hcbrad08
03-05-2007, 10:50 PM
The Jets could announce their first free-agent signing of the offseason Tuesday after spending Monday meeting with David Bowens (Dolphins). Bowens' agent, Harold Lewis, said a deal could be in place by Tuesday. Bowens had five sacks for Miami in 2006, playing mostly defensive end. He'll likely be converted into a pass-rushing outside linebacker if he signs with the Jets . . . The Jets also met with defensive end Kenyon Coleman (Cowboys) Monday. Jordan Woy, Coleman's agent, said in an e-mail Monday night that the meeting has been "great so far"

Bowens: OLB 6-3 265 28 yrs old
Coleman: DE 6-5 295 27 yrds old

nyjets5125
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
we signed coleman and also re-signed bobby hamilton whom we just cut, so i dont think we would sign bowens to but still maybe if wer gonna use him as an OLB

thule
03-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Jets | Team signs Coleman
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:15:00 -0800

The New York Jets have signed free-agent DE Kenyon Coleman (Cowboys). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
source*

jetsfan3
03-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Jets | Team signs Coleman
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:15:00 -0800

The New York Jets have signed free-agent DE Kenyon Coleman (Cowboys). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
source*

Your a cowboys fan, is he anything near decent?

hcbrad08
03-07-2007, 08:38 AM
The rumor is since the Jets gave Coleman 6 Mil in guaranteed money they had inside information on his progress and projection as a starter...(The now retired Bill Parcells is very close to Mangini) he had a carreer high 4 sacks last year...

Also there are rumors that the Jets are not only shopping LB Eric Barton but also Justin McCareins....They are trying to accumulate draft picks however some say they've shot themselves in the foot by getting TJ for such a low value pick (3rd rounder)...

There are rumors circulating that the Jets may use the 4-3 defense more than last year because they are loading up on DEs Coleman, Bowens, Hamilton.

BroadwayJoe10
03-07-2007, 11:14 AM
hah alright well ya i just asked that question somewhere else...i was wondering if they did have some sort of inside information from parcells on this guy considering the amount of money they gave him....and i got another quick question?? why would getting TJ for such a low value pick shoot themselves in the foot for accumulating draft picks???

i also just saw that Cowboys have offered "Marc Colombo a two-year, $7 million contract." I don't see him excepting that, for a guy of his talent especially in this weak free agency im sure he could get more. it also said he has visited with the broncos, anyone know if he has visited us or is scheduled to visit? i know we expressed interest but not sure of anything formal

hcbrad08
03-07-2007, 03:11 PM
By getting TJ for less than he's worth a 3rd round draft pick trying to get a 2nd 3rd or 4th for McCareins and or Barton may be difficult. The weak relation of picks to players may have steimed the Jets plans to try and get worth or more than the worth of Barton and McCareins regardless TJ was just a good signing the "shooting in the foot" is minor and a good problem to have

derza222
03-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Aren't most of the DE's that we're loading up on 3-4 DE's? So why would that mean we would move to the 4-3?

BroadwayJoe10
03-07-2007, 08:24 PM
By getting TJ for less than he's worth a 3rd round draft pick trying to get a 2nd 3rd or 4th for McCareins and or Barton may be difficult. The weak relation of picks to players may have steimed the Jets plans to try and get worth or more than the worth of Barton and McCareins regardless TJ was just a good signing the "shooting in the foot" is minor and a good problem to have

ahh alright thanks, i just didn't look at it at all like that...hah yaa but thats a problem im not too upset about having

BroadwayJoe10
03-08-2007, 11:16 AM
"The Jets, Broncos, Seahawks, and Raiders have all shown interest in free agent TE Randy McMichael." - the miami harald

"The Seahawks are not interested in free agent Randy McMichael, despite a report that they were in the Miami Herald Wednesday.
The Jets and Raiders were reported to have interest and seem good fits.
Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

not sure if this is just a little smoke screen from seattle but i dont see why theyd get rid of jeremy stevens for another TE who drops a bunch of passes hah but regardless i am excited and a bit surprised we are showing interest in McMichaels

hcbrad08
03-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Aren't most of the DE's that we're loading up on 3-4 DE's? So why would that mean we would move to the 4-3?

They are 34 DEs but 43 DT and if we get Bowens he would be a 43 DE and Bryan Thomas would be as well. We have versatility which I like but I am more of a fan of the 34 than the 43 if and only if we have what it takes to impliment it but regardless I think our D will be completely set by the latest next season. Mangini and Tannenbaum are both shopping for the ingredients and getting them at wholesale prices, the meal they're cookin smells good I hope its ready by July and it will smell this good until February. (to quote the TUNA)

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
They are 34 DEs but 43 DT and if we get Bowens he would be a 43 DE and Bryan Thomas would be as well. We have versatility which I like but I am more of a fan of the 34 than the 43 if and only if we have what it takes to impliment it but regardless I think our D will be completely set by the latest next season. Mangini and Tannenbaum are both shopping for the ingredients and getting them at wholesale prices, the meal they're cookin smells good I hope its ready by July and it will smell this good until February. (to quote the TUNA)

Thank God for the versatile Shaun Ellis.

BroadwayJoe10
03-08-2007, 02:37 PM
haha yaa thank god for him...well st. louis just inked McMichaels to a 3 year deal and reports are that Bowens left NY without signing a contract..however i beleive there was one offered

nyjets5125
03-08-2007, 03:52 PM
"The Jets, Broncos, Seahawks, and Raiders have all shown interest in free agent TE Randy McMichael." - the miami harald

"The Seahawks are not interested in free agent Randy McMichael, despite a report that they were in the Miami Herald Wednesday.
The Jets and Raiders were reported to have interest and seem good fits.
Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

not sure if this is just a little smoke screen from seattle but i dont see why theyd get rid of jeremy stevens for another TE who drops a bunch of passes hah but regardless i am excited and a bit surprised we are showing interest in McMichaels
yeah i wouldve liked him but he signed wiht st louis

nyjets5125
03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
i think we like bowens at 34 OLB

BroadwayJoe10
03-08-2007, 08:22 PM
yaa i heard he was gonna play OLB but then i heard some rumor that theyd put him inside with vilma...not sure where hed play but ill def like if we sign him

nyjets5125
03-08-2007, 09:10 PM
yaa i heard he was gonna play OLB but then i heard some rumor that theyd put him inside with vilma...not sure where hed play but ill def like if we sign him
yeah idk how hell do as an ILB cuz the transition from DE to ILB is probably more difficult than that of DE to OLB, also i heard were trying to get rid of barton so that we could move hobson inside becasue were comfortable with him at ILB

shavedaeyebrow2
03-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Jets | Barnes signs
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:09:09 -0800

The New York Jets have signed unrestricted free-agent FB Darian Barnes (Dolphins). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Jets | Bowens leaves empty handed
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:12:01 -0800

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports unrestricted free-agent DL David Bowens (Dolphins) left a visit with the New York Jets without a contract.

And something on Randy Moss

The teams linked to Moss are the Packers, Buccaneers, Jaguars, and Patriots. There are rumors (unsubstantiated at this point) that the Jets are in the mix.

And that would make sense; if Pats coach Bill Belichick has long been enamored with Moss, some of that man-love might have infected Jets coach Eric Mangini, who spent several years with Belichick in New England.

throwback54milkman
03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Chad probably wants Moss cuz they know eachother from college, but thats a big waste of money for a guy that can only go long with a QB that cant throw it to him. No thanks.

hcbrad08
03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
yea you're right a huge waste of money considering Chad can throw the ball deep but his main problem is floating it and Randy Moss is said to be the best leaper in the NFL (Quote from ESPN "He has phenomenal pure leaping ability and times his jumps very well, which puts him head and shoulders above crowds when combined with his height and long arms" quote from scouts inc "if there is a jump ball randy moss is coming down with it"....oh yea huge wast of money on Moss, he and Chad hold the record for most TDs from 1 QB to 1 WR in NCAA history...and Randy moss has the best field awareness in the league do you remember the play he made where he was tackled but lateraled the ball before he was down. He makes tough catches and is not considered a waste of talent because he can only go long...If we wanted that we could have just picked up Bethel Johnson...Moss isn't a Mangini player but if it keeps him out of NE then it's worth the money. Also let's say Chad is done in a year or 2 he'd be a lot more productive with a reciever like Moss..Maybe Chad could talk some sense into him due to their college connection and what if Moss is there to help clemens if chad goes down or clemens moves up a reciever with his skill set would make it easier on a rookie starter. If we got Moss with a restructured contract for 5 mil a year for our 2nd 2nd round pick or our 3rd I think we would be creating a great WRs and QB combination (also knowing his comfort with coles) for at least 2 years and if he's gonna go to NE it mighthelp to throw our hat in the ring to at the very least make them over pay for him or keep him in Oakland.

BroadwayJoe10
03-09-2007, 09:29 PM
yea you're right a huge waste of money considering Chad can throw the ball deep but his main problem is floating it and Randy Moss is said to be the best leaper in the NFL (Quote from ESPN "He has phenomenal pure leaping ability and times his jumps very well, which puts him head and shoulders above crowds when combined with his height and long arms" quote from scouts inc "if there is a jump ball randy moss is coming down with it"....oh yea huge wast of money on Moss, he and Chad hold the record for most TDs from 1 QB to 1 WR in NCAA history...and Randy moss has the best field awareness in the league do you remember the play he made where he was tackled but lateraled the ball before he was down. He makes tough catches and is not considered a waste of talent because he can only go long...If we wanted that we could have just picked up Bethel Johnson...Moss isn't a Mangini player but if it keeps him out of NE then it's worth the money. Also let's say Chad is done in a year or 2 he'd be a lot more productive with a reciever like Moss..Maybe Chad could talk some sense into him due to their college connection and what if Moss is there to help clemens if chad goes down or clemens moves up a reciever with his skill set would make it easier on a rookie starter. If we got Moss with a restructured contract for 5 mil a year for our 2nd 2nd round pick or our 3rd I think we would be creating a great WRs and QB combination (also knowing his comfort with coles) for at least 2 years and if he's gonna go to NE it mighthelp to throw our hat in the ring to at the very least make them over pay for him or keep him in Oakland.

perfectly said

nyjets5125
03-09-2007, 11:32 PM

touche hcbrad, touche....as long as we dont overpay im fine with it

BroadwayJoe10
03-09-2007, 11:43 PM
well it seems as tho colombo resigned with the cowboys so it looks like were gonna have to consider other options at RT

nyjets5125
03-10-2007, 12:02 AM
well it seems as tho colombo resigned with the cowboys so it looks like were gonna have to consider other options at RT
yeah im pissed, i heard were interested in todd wade though

Crickett
03-10-2007, 12:57 AM
yeah im pissed, i heard were interested in todd wade though

NNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo. :(

hcbrad08
03-10-2007, 02:10 AM
If wade is our guy then.... we NEED to draft RT 1ST or 2ND

nyjets5125
03-10-2007, 11:40 PM
NNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo. :(
idk whether that was to colombo or wade, but if wade, is he really taht bad?

BroadwayJoe10
03-12-2007, 09:58 PM
i figure i might as well bring this up now cuase its gonna get mentioned eventually haha....Lance Briggs, "refuses to ever play a single snap with the bears again." Well this considerably lowers the bears power in trading him as well as we already have had another very successfull deal earlier this month. IS there any way we pull the trigger for him?

throwback54milkman
03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
i figure i might as well bring this up now cuase its gonna get mentioned eventually haha....Lance Briggs, "refuses to ever play a single snap with the bears again." Well this considerably lowers the bears power in trading him as well as we already have had another very successfull deal earlier this month. IS there any way we pull the trigger for him?

no, but what about Lavarr Arrington, a one year, low risk deal- we all know his potential.

Crickett
03-12-2007, 10:56 PM
idk whether that was to colombo or wade, but if wade, is he really taht bad?

After how he did in Miami and Houston, I'd say yes.

As for Briggs, considering how much he'd cost in both picks and money, I'd hope not.

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
with the signing of barnes are we planning on giving up hodgins?? becuase when the guy was healthy he was an absolute beast, i def hope we can resign him and keep him healthy

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2007, 09:38 PM
and also if you were to compare the two is barnes run blocking noticeably worse than hodgins??