PDA

View Full Version : Best CB tandem 07-08 season?

SanFran
03-05-2007, 11:04 PM
which two CB's from which teams will be the best tandem this coming season?

GB12
03-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Denver, Bly and Champ

SanFran
03-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Denver, Bly and Champ

On paper yes they are ,will see when season starts

Cashmoney
03-05-2007, 11:08 PM
reynaldo hill and cortland finnegan, titans, oh and throw lamont thompson in there too.
(sarcasm)

49erfaithful
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Denver. With Bly and Bailey, i wouldnt want to throw into that secondary

RaiderLifer
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Not the best but IMO Oakland's duo of Aso and Fabian (improved greatly this year) are going to be up there.

Denver Bronco99
03-05-2007, 11:11 PM
i mean bailey and bly....bly going against #2 is hands down almost as big of a lock as bailey on #1's

edge_V
03-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Oakland's should be pretty good. But I see Tye Hill improving greatly, he's pretty much like Fabian, incredibly fast, breaks on the ball like no other. However, idk who is playing opposite of Hill. But I think either fahkir brown *rolls eyes* or the youngster Ron Bartell will also play solid enough to make them a good duo.

DChess
03-05-2007, 11:14 PM
you gotta go with bly and bailey

SanFran
03-05-2007, 11:14 PM
49ers-Nate Clements, (Walt Harris & Shawntae Spencer compete for #2 spot,will be real Competition) wouldnt be the best but some where next to bailey and bly them

Craigo
03-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Champ Bailey is so far ahead of every corner right now that you could pretty much pair him with anybody, and that would be the best tandem. The fact that it's Bly just solidifies it.

Severe Punishment
03-05-2007, 11:15 PM
It's Denver and it's not close.

The real question should be whose the second best CB tandem.

Throw a line our to the Bears / Vikes / Packers / Patriots / Steelers / and just for kicks the Chargers.

RaiderLifer
03-05-2007, 11:18 PM

Throw a line our to the Bears / Vikes / Packers / Patriots / Steelers / and just for kicks the Chargers.

You have to add the Raiders to that list.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-05-2007, 11:19 PM
sanfran ur way overrating ur team, and it makes u look foolish. not trying to be a dick, just being serious.

on paper and on the field its Denver. 2nd is up for debate far more than #1

Craigo
You have to add the Raiders to that list.
You don't have to

Smokey Joe
Peanut and Vasher own...

critesy
03-05-2007, 11:21 PM
redskins with uhhhh

carlos rogers annnnd smoot ?

guh, i dunno.

Denver Bronco99
03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
i really think that the ravens could be in the talk....i mean i dont see any how they are better then the broncos...but def. in consideration with people throwing our the raiders and what not..

Damix
03-05-2007, 11:25 PM
sanfran ur way overrating ur team, and it makes u look foolish. not trying to be a dick, just being serious.

on paper and on the field its Denver. 2nd is up for debate far more than #1

I like how he made this thread hoping other people would say san fran, and then when no one did he tried to slyly put it in there

TitleTown088
03-05-2007, 11:25 PM

Vikings? Winfeld is good but after that they have a second year guy that played solid last year for a rookie but I don't know if i would put him with the rest of those guys.

Geo
03-05-2007, 11:26 PM
My vote goes to Nnamdi Asomugha and Fabian Washington, Oakland Raiders.

Best trio would be Charles Tillman, Nathan Vasher, and Ricky Manning Jr. of the Chicago Bears.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-05-2007, 11:27 PM
lol.. Denver fans have you seen Bly play?

For every great play he comes up with he gives up one.

He's over rated.. You will find out sooner or later.

Number 10
49ers-Nate Clements, (Walt Harris & Shawntae Spencer compete for #2 spot,will be real Competition) wouldnt be the best but some where next to bailey and bly them

haha I knew that was cmoing soon out of you, could that be why you made this thread?

Honestly, there are several CB tandems I would take over the Niners because Clements is not a top 5 CB in this league and the depth behind him is horrid.

niel89
ill throw out the ravens but rolle needs to step it up. plus we have some good safties too.

niel89
03-05-2007, 11:31 PM
i consider the broncos the best purely from champ. if bly is just average they still are at the top because of champ

Caddy
03-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Brian Kelly and Ronde Barber (I'm a homer :))

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-05-2007, 11:34 PM
As of right now I have to go with Bly and Champ.WIth Scrabble and Fabs right behind them.We'll see the performance this year out of both duos.

Craigo
03-05-2007, 11:35 PM
haha I knew that was cmoing soon out of you, could that be why you made this thread?

Honestly, there are several CB tandems I would take over the Niners because Clements is not a top 5 CB in this league and the depth behind him is horrid.

As much as I strongly agree that the Niners shouldn't be mentioned here, the depth is not bad. Maybe after #3, but really, who cares about your 4th corner?

I will stand by this: Shawntae Spencer is the best #3 corner in the league. Most underrated player on the team.

But this thread isn't about that. Behind the obvious Broncos, I would put the Bears and Ravens.

49ersfan_87
03-05-2007, 11:39 PM
As much as I strongly agree that the Niners shouldn't be mentioned here, the depth is not bad. Maybe after #3, but really, who cares about your 4th corner?

I will stand by this: Shawntae Spencer is the best #3 corner in the league. Most underrated player on the team.

But this thread isn't about that. Behind the obvious Broncos, I would put the Bears and Ravens.

Not to derail, but where is spencer the 3? Everything i read indicates they will battle for the 2.

Obviously the broncos win this poll. Bailey+Bly=Best.

sodar21
03-05-2007, 11:48 PM
49ers, Raiders, Panthers...

themaninblack
03-05-2007, 11:59 PM
jo-jo and deltha o'neal. ya you right.

Craigo
03-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Not to derail, but where is spencer the 3? Everything i read indicates they will battle for the 2.

Obviously the broncos win this poll. Bailey+Bly=Best.

Alright, well from what I've been hearing, Walt Harris has the inside track after his amazing year. Either way, whoever is our #3 is the best nickel corner in the league.

TheChampIsHere
03-06-2007, 12:37 AM
yeah you gotta go with Bailey and Bly. Champ is the best right now, no doubt about it. Yeah, Bly is overrated and he gives up a lot of big plays and hes undersized and whatnot but he is without question one of the best big-play CBs in the league and with Champ on one side and Bly on the other, QBs are gonna be throwing a lot of INTs against the Broncos, especially if they can add a ballhawking safety and a pass-rusher in the draft.

also, the 49ers CB duo and too bad either. Clements is borderline top 5, definetely top 10, Spencer is a very solid young CB and Walt Harris is coming off a great season.

I love how people are showing the Raiders love. Soon I belive Fabian and Nmandhi will be widely recognized as one of the best CB duos out there, maybe the best. Honestly, both turned out better than I ever expected. Good lookin Al Davis. Its great picks like these that people fail to give him credit for.

But I gotta give number 2 to the Ravens. McCalister went back to his old form last year and he is a flat out animal when he is at his best and Rolle while he isnt what he used to be, he is still a damn good CB.

BX
03-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Homer comment, but Newman - Henry - Glenn constitute the best CB trio in the league.

Craigo
03-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Anthony Henry is definately one of the more underrated players in the league.

Grizzlegom
03-06-2007, 12:54 AM
law and surtain didnt get mentioned?

i know both are getting up in age but they still play at a high level and id take either over bly...

Whistler6
03-06-2007, 02:25 AM
Charles Woodson and Al Harris...I like them (homer style)

Dre' Bly is more of a talker then a player. The only reason they'd be towards the top of this list is because Champ is by far* the best corner in the league

yourfavestoner
03-06-2007, 02:44 AM
Jacksonville anybody for number two?

Non_Sequitur
03-06-2007, 03:05 AM
Charles Woodson and Al Harris...I like them (homer style)

Dre' Bly is more of a talker then a player. The only reason they'd be towards the top of this list is because Champ is by far* the best corner in the league

I was wondering how far in the thread I'd get before a mention of Woodson-Harris. They get no pub, and are probably better than Bly (who can't touch the run) Bailey.

Modano
03-06-2007, 05:39 AM

And he will play safety next year :D

The Unseen
03-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Rashean Mathis and Brian Williams. Duh.

remix 6
03-06-2007, 05:49 AM
besides Champ-Drew..

Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown

BlindSite
03-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Ken Lucas, Chris Gamble and Richard Marshall is the best nickel set in the NFL.

LionSmack
03-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Fernando Bryant and Stanley Wilson har har

Seriously though, Champ Bailey and Shawn Springs. Er uh, ...

draftguru151
03-06-2007, 08:07 AM

IMO it isn't really close either. I still think Lucas and Gamble are the best duo as well.

JRTPlaya21
03-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Brown and Lito

wogitalia
03-06-2007, 08:27 AM
[quote]Not the best but IMO Oakland's duo of Aso and Fabian (improved greatly this year) are going to be up there.[quote]

Was going to say them as well. Denver is the obvious choice, you have the hands down best DB in football, or at least CB, and you throw in a guy that 2 years ago would have been top 5(or close) who struggled with a system but should have plenty in the tank.

I quite like the Raiders pairing though, definitely their strongest and most promising position.

HawkeyeFan
03-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Packers - Al Harris and Charles Woodson
Broncos - Champ Bailey and Dre Bly

Sleeper - Rams - Tye Hill and Ron Bartell :)

art vandelay
03-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Haha --- Ashton Youboty and Terrance McGee for the worst with Jabari Greer as our nickle!

bigbluedefense
03-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Its either Denver, Oakland, or Baltimore. Philly needs some love in this convo as well.

If Cromartie steps up next year, don't be surprised if SD creeps into this convo. Jammer finally turned the corner, and they have a demon CB that could be unleashed at any moment in the nickel right now. That front 7 makes their life alot easier as well.

Jimmy
03-06-2007, 10:45 AM
prolly oakland, the rest of the team is a laughing stock, but their pass defense is very underrated, and is a top 3. With Asomugha and Whoever else (Routt, washington, or w/e is on the other side. Just move huff over there.

T-RICH49
03-06-2007, 11:08 AM
law and surtain didnt get mentioned?

i know both are getting up in age but they still play at a high level and id take either over bly...

Thank You.Both still can flat play despite age.It's the best combo we've had since Dale Carter and James Hasty

bsaza2358
03-06-2007, 11:16 AM
I am glad that there has been an uptick in overall CB play of late. Back a few years ago, there wasn't a lot going on, but with all the new talent coming in, it's nice to see shut-down tandems coming back.

iowatreat54
03-06-2007, 11:18 AM

if you are talking about nickel back...ricky manning jr. is probably the best nickel back IMO not the most talented 3rd DB on a team but the best at playing nickel back...

peanut tillman, nathan vasher, and ricky manning jr. is the #1 nickel set in the NFL :)

yay for homerism!

Larry
03-06-2007, 11:35 AM
depth behind him is horrid.

I wouldn't go that far.

23trufant
03-06-2007, 11:48 AM
1-Denver
2-Oakland
3-Carolina(If Ken Lucas is healthy, Gamble doesnt gamble so much, and Richard Marshall keeps his play up, thats 3 good CBs.)

sodar21
03-06-2007, 11:56 AM
1. Carolina
2. Green Bay
3. Denver
4. San Francisco
5. Oakland

Finlayson56
03-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Charles Tillman, Nathan Vasher

Titans10
03-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Denver, not even close

Champ>>>>>>everyone else

Vikes99ej
03-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Champ and Dre Bly at #1 obviously, but one of them could get injured. I'll take Lucas, Gamble, and Bly after that. It annoys me when people throw out their little homer picks. I'll just say the Vikings CBs are in the top halve of the league.

Shiver
03-06-2007, 12:35 PM
IMO it isn't really close either. I still think Lucas and Gamble are the best duo as well.

You haven't watched many Panthers games did you? Chris Gamble is not good. Lucas is though, when he was healthy, which he wasn't last year. I think it would be best if Gamble is replaced by Marshall. Either way, they were not that good last year, i.e anywhere near an elite tandem.

SanFran
03-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Well I mIght have said Niners(clements,harris & Spencer) as next rated to Champ and Bly,i'll take my word back and just wait till season starts but Champ and bly are the best rite now(on paper,yet to be seen) next to them are ,Asamougha and Washington ,got to show this guys some Luv coz they did hav the best Pass defense with Huff and Stuart in that mix,but will never rule out Chris Mc and Samari Rolle(Ravens ,they are studs)

Denver Bronco99
03-06-2007, 01:12 PM
i dont see how anyone could actually argue against bailey and bly.....bailey is better then anyone and bly pre-cover two scheme in det. was a top CB aslo....bates the broncos new Dcordinator runs man to man..which bly is great in....

yourfavestoner
03-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I actually think Youboty and McGee are going to develop into a very good, young corner duo.

TNewFan41
03-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Cowboys have to be up there, with the added pressure we will get with Wad'es shemes, Newman and Henry will be even more dominant. Henry is a good CB and could be a #1, just he was hurt last year, and we have Newman.

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I'll throw out two teams CB depth that I like (not saying they are the best):

Atlanta - Look, I'm not a big fan of Jimmy Williams. That said, I won't deny there isn't talent there, and Zimmer did use a similar talent in Henry (and Williams is arguably more physically gifted). If Jimmy can become a solid guy, paired with DeAngelo, that will free up the defense to do more.

Seattle - A lot of injury issues that cloud the picture, but if healthy, I still like Marcus Trufant a lot (albeit, he has to take that next step), and they have capable options across from him, with the two Kelly's.

LonghornsLegend
03-06-2007, 01:55 PM
bly has been the #1 corner most of his career, his position now will only make him better...he's been a pro bowler before, with a great defense, and the best opposite corner you can have, taking #2 wr's, id say denver will be pretty close to shut down if they can get some pressure on the qb....

cant wait for denver to face cincy and indy again

PackerLegend
03-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Harris And Woodson!

Bly doesnt even want to be in Denver.

Denver Bronco99
03-06-2007, 01:59 PM
bly has been the #1 corner most of his career, his position now will only make him better...he's been a pro bowler before, with a great defense, and the best opposite corner you can have, taking #2 wr's, id say denver will be pretty close to shut down if they can get some pressure on the qb....

cant wait for denver to face cincy and indy again

exactly...if we get a DE in the draft we will be good to go.....im hoping dumerville wins the starting job this year...along with a rookie DE....we will have alot of pressure if that happens

Denver Bronco99
03-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Harris And Woodson!

Bly doesnt even want to be in Denver.

that was before we gave him a contract extension

PackerLegend
03-06-2007, 02:02 PM
that was before we gave him a contract extension

Really I never saw that you gave him one, ok Im going to kind of be a homer and say Al Harris/Charles Woodson tie with Champ Bailey/Dry Bly

ccB
03-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I think Bly is going to dissapoint. Kind of like when we got Samari Rolle and everyone was saying CMac and Rolle would be the best CB duo.

crazyisme
03-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Bly is overrated

DeathbyStat
03-06-2007, 02:21 PM
1.Denver

2.Everyone else

I think Pittsburgh is a sleeper with Mcfadden and Ike Taylor if they are coached up by Tomlin.

Denver Bronco99
03-06-2007, 02:26 PM
well i heard and read a rumor about us sending bly and a 1st and 2nd for springs and their 1st....so broncos=Bly,1st,2nd for Wash=Springs and 1st

while i DO think bly is the bigger playmaker when springs is healthy i think he is the better corner....but having the 6th overall would be nice, we could def. get gaines adams that way

dware_94
03-06-2007, 02:31 PM
broncos easily...baltimore or oakland are 2nd

SanFran
03-06-2007, 04:06 PM
I actually think Youboty and McGee are going to develop into a very good, young corner duo.

Well i didnt like Youboty coming out last season for draft, but he did and it was good for him to groom under clements last season, now as clement is gone he will be counted on to step up and feel his big shoes beside McGee

Hines
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
dude ike taylor and bmac have to be up there. i mean ike had a bad year but still was really good. and bmac turned the corner. under tomlin they will be probowlers i bet

BlindSite
03-06-2007, 04:55 PM
if you are talking about nickel back...ricky manning jr. is probably the best nickel back IMO not the most talented 3rd DB on a team but the best at playing nickel back...

peanut tillman, nathan vasher, and ricky manning jr. is the #1 nickel set in the NFL :)

yay for homerism!

LOL, You forget I saw Ricky Manning for two years, he's nothing. As for Vasher and Tillman, they're good, but they lack a lot like size and physicality.

You haven't watched many Panthers games did you? Chris Gamble is not good. Lucas is though, when he was healthy, which he wasn't last year. I think it would be best if Gamble is replaced by Marshall. Either way, they were not that good last year, i.e anywhere near an elite tandem.

Both players were injured all year, not only that but our defense was on the field for an extreme amount of time compared to what they were in 05. The trio is the best in the NFL, head and shoulders. They just need some form of support from the safeties. Last year three passes gamble tipped were picked up by receivers he wasn't covering that the safeties should've leveled. He never had inside support when he was running outside technique and never got help over the top against speed receivers like our scheme is designed to give. Why do you think we're targeting safeties?

JT Jag
03-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Realistically, it's Denver.

Dre Bly is very overrated, an aging corner whose skills are sloping downward, but it doesn't matter. He's a former #1 who is now a #2 and whose coverage responsibilities will be changed thusly, and that's all you need to know.

Put anyone decent next to Champ Bailey and it's the best pair of corners in the league. The Broncos need to clean out backfield and develop some new safeties. Then, they'll have the best secondary in the league.

That's the effect that having the one person in the NFL that never asks for coverage help and almost never blows his coverages has on a defense.

jetsfan3
03-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Bly and Bailey. Bly is arugably a solid #1 corner, and having someone with that kind of talent besides Champ Bailey creates the best CB tandem in the NFL.

Eagles own the NFC East
03-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Bly and Champ obviously, but nigg* please sheldon brown and lito sheppard deserve some credit in 2nd know what im sayin?

Go_Eagles77
03-06-2007, 05:42 PM
1. Denver
2. Oakland
3. Philly
4. Green Bay
5. Dallas

PACKmanN
03-06-2007, 05:43 PM
i heard that Bly is demading a trade because the broncos wont rework his contract.

Chucky
03-06-2007, 05:58 PM
the best is definatly the broncos, but for everyone saying the ravens are the best have any of you actually watched a raven game, samari rolle is beyond bad.

TNewFan41
03-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Thank you. And this is coming fron a 49er fan.

TNewFan41
03-06-2007, 06:04 PM
And he will play safety next year :D

Uhhh no he won't. Jerry said they are probably going to keep him at CB.

Good, he is a good CB, why move him?

RaVeNFaNaCtIc
03-06-2007, 06:56 PM
BLy and Champ are #1 but not because of Bly, itss that Champ will make BLy look good

Beans
03-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Tampa!

...eh, not really.

#1chiefs_fan
03-06-2007, 07:25 PM
how about chris gamble and ken lucas

niel89
03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
the best is definatly the broncos, but for everyone saying the ravens are the best have any of you actually watched a raven game, samari rolle is beyond bad.

his play tends to get exagerated because while he did play poorly many times he lacked the saftey help that he was supposed to have. he still is a starter though

#1chiefs_fan
03-06-2007, 07:28 PM
ken lucas and chris gamble

BlindSite
03-06-2007, 08:45 PM
ken lucas and chris gamble

3 people see the light

Craigo
03-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you. And this is coming fron a 49er fan.
I hope you realize how much that hurt to say.

The Unseen
03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
3 people see the light

Or are blinded by the light of your homerism.

Either way...

Tubby
03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Marcus Trufant and Asante Samuel WOULD'VE been. **** the Patriots.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Personally, as I haven't mentioned my top tandem yet, I would still take whichever twosome the Panthers put out there. Yes, whichever twosome out of the three. While it's fair to say that neither Lucas/Gamble had exemplary seasons, I didn't see any physical skill level slippage that would warrant concern in future seasons. Having an off year happens, and there were certainly other factors. Now, both have a lot of work to do this offseason, but age/talent wise, I'll take my chances with them. After that, I think I would go with the Broncos ... if they keep Bly. If it turns out to be, say, Bailey/Macklin instead ... then they drop. I would probably go Falcons after that, as I'll roll the dice with Williams over Washington (if Williams stays at corner), as I like Hall better than Asomugha. Raiders would probably come in after that with Asomugha developing, but a bit of uncertainty on my part as to how good Fabian Washington can be. I'd close it off with the Eagles.

Thus,

1. Panthers
2. Broncos (if Bly stays ... )
3. Falcons (I absolutely am not a big Williams fan ... but the kid has some skills)
4. Raiders
5. Eagles

I think a case could be made for a variety of orders, though. For all the "Champ Bailey and Joe Smuckers" could be the best tandem ... I think that's a bit overreaching in this age of football.

But I'll give it some more thought, and who knows, by the end of this free agency period, things could be much different.

Eagles own the NFC East
03-07-2007, 11:50 AM
wow ur on crack thinking the falcons cb duo is better then the eagles jimmy williams hasnt proved jack ****.

bsaza2358
03-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Toonster, normally I'd back you up, but I have to agree that your assessment here is suspect at best. Hall had a terrible 2006, and Williams didn't fare better. Meanwhile, Brown and Sheppard were consistent and consistently better than both Falcons CB's with a lesser pass rush to help them out. You can put the Falcons in the top 5 based on Williams' potential, but the Eagles have to be ahead of them due to actual production...

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I thought we were looking towards 2007 ... not looking back at 2006. If we are looking back at 2006, sure, I'd take Brown/Sheppard over the Falcons tandem any day. I don't think Hall had a terrible 2006 ... and I didn't see any slippage in physical ability to assume that he can't be considered one of the elite CB's in the league. It reminds me a few years ago (2003) when most observers felt that Fred Smoot was the better cornerback than Champ Bailey. Looking back on it, it's ludicrous. Champ had an off year, and it wasn't a bad year.

Hey, by all means, if we are judging on 2006, I'd take the Eagles duo over the Falcons. From that measure, the Packers and 49ers definitely deserve to be up there. But the age of guys like Al Harris/Charles Woodson/Walt Harris makes me wary on those guys.

Again ... if we are looking at 2007 ... I'll take my chances with the Falcons duo over the Eagles duo, especially with Mike Zimmer there as the DC and a quality coach in Emmitt Thomas. I could end up being dead wrong, but I'd take them ... if we are looking at 2007.

And if it wasn't made clear befoe, I personally don't like Jimmy Williams much, and I'll also state that I'm not a huge fan of DeAngelo Hall either.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 03:28 PM
DeAngelo Hall's '06 season was no different than Nate Clements '05, Lito Sheppard's '05, Champ Bailey's '03/'04. He had a rocky mid-end of the season, I wouldn't classify it as "terrible" in any respect. He had a few rough games, against Pittsburgh, Detroit, New Orleans (2nd), and Dallas. Those were the games he didn't play well in. If you want to selectively look at stretches of games, then I could, if I wanted to, bring up how dominant he was in a 17-game stretch between week nine of '05 and week seven '06 to counter point. It would be nice if he played more consistently well next year, to be sure.

That said, I was surprised anyone mentioned Atlanta, let alone Toonster. I don't think I am even that optimistic.