PDA

View Full Version : Eagles sign S Sean Jones to 1 year deal

Go_Eagles77
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Link: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17509

I like the move, but I would have liked a multi-year deal better, beggars can't be choosers though. Pretty good alternative for not signing Dawk.

Staubach12
03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Dammit! FML!!!!

MetSox17
03-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Well F me sideways with a lunchbox.

diabsoule
03-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow. Lose Dawkins and pick up Jones. Pretty nice consolation. And yes, FML, cuz he would've been perfect in a Saints jersey.

twista6002
03-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Sometimes life can actually be pretty good :)

CC.SD
03-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Why does AJ Smith hate me?

Vox Populi
03-06-2009, 04:02 PM
They still need some more depth at the position, but definitely a good signing

bsaza2358
03-06-2009, 04:04 PM
They have Mikell, Quentin Demps, and now Jones. They can also sign Sean Springs perhaps or even a Roy Williams (ha)...

Bigburt63
03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Sean Springs already signed with the patriots

M.O.T.H.
03-06-2009, 04:14 PM
There wasnt much interest at all and he only signed a one year deal. Those knees def. scared more than a few teams off.

Pb&j
03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Have fun watching him get abused by tight ends and whiff on tackles.

twista6002
03-06-2009, 04:27 PM
They have Mikell, Quentin Demps, and now Jones. They can also sign Sean Springs perhaps or even a Roy Williams (ha)...

Shawn Springs signed with New England yesterday...

bsaza2358
03-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm sure with the proper coaching, he can be deployed properly and will execute well. If not, he won't see the field and won't be back...

keylime_5
03-06-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm surprised that he setted for that, I would've thought Sean was looking for a longterm contract with his injury history and inconsistency. I guess his market wasn't as good as people thought it would be. Nice signing for the Eagles though, if nothing else a guy to fill the hole at safety for at least a year...not Dawkins but not bad.

D-Unit
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Surprised Cleveland didn't want to out do them. They must have surely heard of the offer by his agent before Sean signed the dotted line.

LonghornsLegend
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
There wasnt much interest at all and he only signed a one year deal. Those knees def. scared more than a few teams off.

Shouldn't of scared us off, he was exactly what we needed, and exactly the type of deal we needed to give him, he could battle it out with whoever we picked in the 2nd round and would give us some end of the year options...Certainly wanted to lean this direction then tinkering with moving Scandrick around.

M.O.T.H.
03-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Shouldn't of scared us off, he was exactly what we needed, and exactly the type of deal we needed to give him, he could battle it out with whoever we picked in the 2nd round and would give us some end of the year options...Certainly wanted to lean this direction then tinkering with moving Scandrick around.

I tend to agree...for one year, I wouldnt have minded gambling either. We literally have no one at safety outside of Hamlin. He's really not as good as a lot the Cowboy fans have been making him out to be but, I certainly agree we could have used him. Starting a rookie safety selected from round 2 on scares the hell out of me. It's not like we even have any depth.

I will say, though...I'd have to actually know what he got before I fully agree here. If he got like close to $4-$5 million for a year, we couldnt even afford that, in addition to Igor.

D-Unit
03-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I tend to agree...for one year, I wouldnt have minded gambling either. We literally have no one at safety outside of Hamlin. He's really not as good as a lot the Cowboy fans have been making him out to be but, I certainly agree we could have used him. Starting a rookie safety selected from round 2 on scares the hell out of me. It's not like we even have any depth.

I will say, though...I'd have to actually know what he got before I fully agree here. If he got like close to $4-$5 million for a year, we couldnt even afford that, in addition to Igor.
Well we couldn't get something done with him.... We were busy courting Olshansky.

Menardo75
03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
This is a really good signing by the Eagles even though I thought they would give Quentin Demps a try next year.

M.O.T.H.
03-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Well we couldn't get something done with him.... We were busy courting Olshansky.

I was speaking hypothetically...we figured the Igor deal would get done but, a lot of guys still wanted Jones as well. Jones got $3 million...it's arguable if we could have got something like that done because, of the Igor signing. I'm not so sure...it may have been doable but, the money is really tight. We may be done in FA now. It sure would be nice to add a veteran safety some how, though.

Number 10
03-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Best part about this for the Eagles is that this will essentially be another contract year but this time he is surrounded by top tier DB talent being coached by one of the best in Jim Johnson.

ThePudge
03-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I think Sean Jones may be a bit overrated by the general public here because of his draft stock and upside coming out of college. He has put up numbers but has been injury prone and inconsistent in his play. He's a pretty average player, though he has shown some promise during his career. I expect a battle with Jones and Demps for the starting spot, though I expect Jones to come out victorious.

If anyone can get the best out of Jones, it's Jim Johnson who has done a lot with DB's over the years. Still, this isn't Brian Dawkins, even in his older age. Jones has potential if he can stay healthy and show some signs of being a consistent player. A nice stop-gap signing for the Eagles though that allows Demps to develop.

twista6002
03-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Best part about this for the Eagles is that this will essentially be another contract year but this time he is surrounded by top tier DB talent being coached by one of the best in Jim Johnson.

Not to mention he'll be coached by arguably the NFL's best secondary coach in Sean McDermott

MetSox17
03-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I don't think anyone is making him out to be much of anything, but the fact that the Eagles signed him on a one year deal is what really bugs me. We did the exact same thing with Ken Hamlin, not too long after he had gotten beaten close to death, and he played amazing. Not saying that's what will happen with Jones, but the talent and opportunity is there for him to do so. And it will be at little to no risk.

eaglesalltheway
03-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't think anyone is making him out to be much of anything, but the fact that the Eagles signed him on a one year deal is what really bugs me. We did the exact same thing with Ken Hamlin, not too long after he had gotten beaten close to death, and he played amazing. Not saying that's what will happen with Jones, but the talent and opportunity is there for him to do so. And it will be at little to no risk.

I made that same exact comparison in the conversation about him earlier.

In a way, Jones and Demps will battle for a starting job, but not directly. Mikell can play either, and it will come down to how the team thinks it'll fit best. If they think having Jones at SS and Mikell at FS is better Jones "wins" the battle, but if the team feels it'll be best with Demps as the FS and Mikell as the SS, then Demps "wins". They aren't competing for the same spot, but because of Mikell's versatility they will be competing for a starting spot...

D-Rod
03-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Really pissed that the Falcons didn't do a similar deal...