PDA

View Full Version : Thule Enters the Career World

thule
03-07-2009, 04:15 AM
So I'm bored and sick of studying up for my new job, so I figured I'd inform my nfldc friends whats going on in my world.

I'm on my last day in the great state of North Dakota. Two weeks ago I went down to the twin cities to watch my little brother and sisters play hockey. My dad happens to be a coach on my sisters hockey team.

Anyways...after their last game he introduces me to one of the other coaches who happens to be the chairman and CEO of this web development company.

I'm not sure how many of you know my story...but I'm one of those anti-school people in this world who find it a waste of time....and lets just say it's not for me...so I dropped outta high school with a 3.7 gpa a half credit short of graduating...and vowed never to go back.

Anyways it just so happens that my dad has been telling this CEO how he has been trying to get me to go to school and whatever and the CEO says he'd like to meet me....so after talking to this man for about 30 mins about random technology he tells me his company is coming into this new technology dealing with phone conversation recognition or whatever and they are going to need a new software guy in their office.

So that monday I go in and interview with him. I let him know that I have a bit of computer experience but all I have is stuff that i've learned on my own. He asks if I know php/mySQL I tell him I've done some basic HTML but nothing like that...messed around with some C++ and some other stuff but never that.

Anyways after 2.5 hours of interviewing he informs me that I'm hired...making salary and full benefits from the start. I'll get full training first hand from the CEO and his #2 programming guy. And a 6k raise after my first 90 days. Says they have a 37% profit sharing program on top of the base salary.

This is a company with about 30 employees and did over 1.2 million in revenue in the month of january. So even in a recession this company is breaking it's own sales records.

So Thule now has a career as a Software Developer and Web Developer working in an Enterprise based .com

I just thought it was an interesting story given the fact that someone without a post secondary degree got an opportunity in a multimillion dollar .com

CJSchneider
03-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Holy **** dude, congratulations. My one piece of advice is that you do get over what ever kept you from getting that diploma and go back and get your HS diploma and some college. Not so much as a means to success, but as a safety net now.

Addict
03-07-2009, 06:48 AM
well done Thule, you lucky bastard.

tjsunstein
03-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Congrats and good luck man.

bigbluedefense
03-07-2009, 08:47 AM
congrats Thule.

Bills2083
03-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Congratulations Thule.
Make sure you do not forget about SWDC though.

oldLibid21
03-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Holy **** dude, congratulations. My one piece of advice is that you do get over what ever kept you from getting that diploma and go back and get your HS diploma and some college. Not so much as a means to success, but as a safety net now.

Agreed.

I would suggest you go and get your high school diploma. It is key that you have a high school diploma in order to "succesful" (I put it in quotes because many people have different meanings of success) in life. A college diploma is not as necessary because we all know of the many people who have succeeded without a college education, but those people were very creative and even lucky. Having a college diploma just makes your life so much easier.

$.02

MetSox17
03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Congratulations Thule. Always good to see people who pursue their true desires succeed in this world. Best of luck with your new gig!

Xonraider
03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Wow, congrats dude, you got really lucky.

tjsunstein
03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Out of curiosity, what did you plan on doing as a career without your diploma?

Brent
03-07-2009, 11:29 AM
"it's who you know, not what you know"

CJSchneider
03-07-2009, 12:00 PM
$.02

Just in case anyone here works for Verizon - thats 2 CENTS

tjsunstein
03-07-2009, 12:09 PM

It's who you know to get in, it's what you know to progress.

In reference to your quote:
"You need a ticket to the game to catch a foul ball."
Knowing someone is gonna get you in but it's not guaranteed that you're going to be lucky enough to rise through the ranks based on knowing someone. A more qualified person is surely going to get the higher position based on knowledge rather than a relationship.

Brent
03-07-2009, 12:24 PM

Knowing someone is gonna get you in but it's not guaranteed that you're going to be lucky enough to rise through the ranks based on knowing someone. A more qualified person is surely going to get the higher position based on knowledge rather than a relationship.
I am not discounting knowledge. What I am saying is someone who might not be as smart or did as well in school as someone else, assuming they have more networking connections, has a better chance at success than the guy who spent all his time studying. That's not to say that you can just BS your way through school and hope to just know the right people, but that knowing the right people makes up for tons of things.

awfullyquiet
03-07-2009, 12:24 PM
secondary school education is a joke.

that's me.

congrats thule. at least you didn't get wrangled around like you did last time.

tjsunstein
03-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I am not discounting knowledge. What I am saying is someone who might not be as smart or did as well in school as someone else, assuming they have more networking connections, has a better chance at success than the guy who spent all his time studying. That's not to say that you can just BS your way through school and hope to just know the right people, but that knowing the right people makes up for tons of things.

Completely agree. Networking is the single most important aspect of business that is ignored sometimes.

awfullyquiet
03-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Completely agree. Networking is the single most important aspect of business that is ignored sometimes.

hence why i got a bad gpa and still got a great job?

oh yeah... really... who know and what they know about you is more important than any gpa, college name, GRE score you can provide... if they know you're good, that's more than a GPA can ever show to a person.

iowatreat54
03-07-2009, 12:48 PM
hence why i got a bad gpa and still got a great job?

oh yeah... really... who know and what they know about you is more important than any gpa, college name, GRE score you can provide... if they know you're good, that's more than a GPA can ever show to a person.

Yes, I've been told my many people in the professional world that most times GPA barely carries any weight, that they usually look at it to make sure you didn't barely pass and then rely more on experience, skills, and personality. That's why I laugh whenever my friends are freaking out about GPA and tell me that getting .1 higher this semester will get them an even better job than before.

TimD
03-07-2009, 12:49 PM
but gpa's often give people the chance to succeed. if you have a **** for brains it often shows in your gpa and then it doesn't matter who you know.

awfullyquiet
03-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Yes, I've been told my many people in the professional world that most times GPA barely carries any weight, that they usually look at it to make sure you didn't barely pass and then rely more on experience, skills, and personality. That's why I laugh whenever my friends are freaking out about GPA and tell me that getting .1 higher this semester will get them an even better job than before.

maybe if they're going to law school or into a graduate program. but even that is weighted on who you know and your relationship with them.

how do you think idiots get into ivy league schools? networking.
like george bush?

Hollywood
03-07-2009, 01:00 PM

I have always lied about my GPA when filling out an application or asked. Always go with some ******** number like 3.6 or something. Businesses don't care and won't check unless maybe you are trying for a prestigious law firm or something?

Anyways, not that it really matters since I own and operate a one man business, I'm only lying to myself!

iowatreat54
03-07-2009, 01:07 PM
maybe if they're going to law school or into a graduate program. but even that is weighted on who you know and your relationship with them.

like george bush?

Well even if you are going post grad, your score on the GMAT, LSAT, etc. is usually weighted heavier than GPA. Because honestly, they would rather take kids that do well and know the subject they are going to be studying, than kids who just did well in random subjects that have nothing to do with that particular field/career.

Menardo75
03-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Congradulations goodluck.

MetSox17
03-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Congradulations

Damn... seriously? Did you not read the 20 other people that spelled it correctly before you?

Xonraider
03-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Damn... seriously? Did you not read the 20 other people that spelled it correctly before you?

Maybe it was on purpose? I don't know lol, I hope it was in purpose

Brent
03-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Well even if you are going post grad, your score on the GMAT, LSAT, etc. is usually weighted heavier than GPA. Because honestly, they would rather take kids that do well and know the subject they are going to be studying, than kids who just did well in random subjects that have nothing to do with that particular field/career.
If you want to go to grad school or think you might, just keep your overall GPA at or above 3.0 and you should be good. That really just shows you tried haha.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:00 PM

Well I'll know in the first 90 days if this job is for me...if thats the case....I think 2 years + in an enterprise level .com doing web development and programming on my resume will speak higher than any degree anyways.

The way it was explained to me is....you're pretty lucky...you should feel like the janitor at google right before the struck it big.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Congratulations Thule.
Make sure you do not forget about SWDC though.

My #1 question going into this job is....how much free time will I have on the job. It's not a big corporation...so it's not like I have to put a cover page on my TPS reports...but will it be frowned upon if I have my stuff done?

The way it sounds like....work hard play hard. They have a 400 sq foot game room with a wii/pool table/ping pong table....all kinds of ****...they said people just go in there to blow off steam or w/e when they need a break...so hopefully that goes the same for browsing nfldc.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Agreed.

I would suggest you go and get your high school diploma. It is key that you have a high school diploma in order to "succesful" (I put it in quotes because many people have different meanings of success) in life. A college diploma is not as necessary because we all know of the many people who have succeeded without a college education, but those people were very creative and even lucky. Having a college diploma just makes your life so much easier.

$.02

How many jobs have you been too where they asked to see your high school diploma....my resume says I graduated from North Dakota with a 3.7 GPA...and in all my life I've never heard of anyone asked to bring their high school diploma.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Out of curiosity, what did you plan on doing as a career without your diploma?

It was so up in the air right now. I really didn't have an idea. I was in with a small computer company that is about to get pretty big in GF right before I got this job. So depending on what happened there I might have gotten into the computer programming that way...but that was more on the service side...not the web development side.

Or idk....I went from prep cook to #2 in the kitchen the past 2.5 years of my life....and I enjoyed cooking....and was offered a job as a sous chef last month...with that experience I'd be able to go run any kitchen in the midwest basically.

I'd describe myself as a jack of all trades...master of none.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:07 PM

Thats what I thought....but I actually think its...

"It's not what you know...It's not who you know.....It's what you know about who you know"

For instance I knew that this CEO happened to take chances on people with hard work ethic and good technology base. So I spent 3/4 of my interview saying words like diligent and hard working and determined and blah blah blah...had I not had knowledge about him I doubt I woulda gotten the job.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Very true. Once your foot is in the door...it's on you then.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:10 PM
secondary school education is a joke.

that's me.

congrats thule. at least you didn't get wrangled around like you did last time.

Ya not having to go through HR made everything soooooo much easier.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:11 PM

These people are in for a rude awakening in life....I tend to laugh at them....these also happen to be all the people that told me I needed to go back to school so I could get a job....

bored of education
03-07-2009, 03:12 PM
thule you are posting too much! but congrats and best of luck to you.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:12 PM
but gpa's often give people the chance to succeed. if you have a **** for brains it often shows in your gpa and then it doesn't matter who you know.

....woah I'm going to have to disagree....GPA might as well be renamed TRY. Because anyone that tries in school...has a good GPA...it's about trying/studying.....until you get up into Grad school then things are different.

bored of education
03-07-2009, 03:13 PM
i've applied for big investment firms in Boston and NYC and not once was I asked my GPA.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:13 PM

like george bush?

Rich parents that either went there...or wished they went there...so happen to contribute x amount of dollars so little jimmy could go to school?

iowatreat54
03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
....woah I'm going to have to disagree....GPA might as well be renamed TRY. Because anyone that tries in school...has a good GPA...it's about trying/studying.....until you get up into Grad school then things are different.

Yes. I mean every single one of us knows the really dumb girl with zero common sense, but she tries really hard and spends a lot of time on hw/studying to get a high GPA. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but that doesn't mean she is very intelligent or even more intelligent than I am.

sweetness34
03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Ya not having to go through HR made everything soooooo much easier.

Ugh I hate HR people. The ones we have at Comcast are ******* horrible. They don't even bother to try and help you out.

They also kept my dad from getting a job at State Farm for 10 years until he got his resume to the actual department he was applying to and he immediately got an interview and received a job offer.

The world would be a better place if we didn't have HR.

iowatreat54
03-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I would say it would be better to not involve them ever in any hiring process. However, for problems within the company and dealing with personnel once they are hired, it is much better to have them than just have top level guys wasting their time with things such as the janitor's pay check or tracking vacation days.

sweetness34
03-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I think our janitors would do a better job than our HR people do. I'm not joking when I say that are terrible. Literally, they have done nothing for us when we've asked.

bored of education
its their job to weed out the candidates and i get that. you get past them then the real interview starts. you just have to know how to interview to get past them. doesnt matter waht your resume say. dont just asnwer their questions with one word answers, but dont babble. give an example for each strength or weakness(play a weakness off into something that could be a strength). its cake to get past HR..its just about killing interviews 2-4 and more if need be.

thule
Ugh I hate HR people. The ones we have at Comcast are ******* horrible. They don't even bother to try and help you out.

They also kept my dad from getting a job at State Farm for 10 years until he got his resume to the actual department he was applying to and he immediately got an interview and received a job offer.

The world would be a better place if we didn't have HR.

Every HR person I've met in my life has been a
A)Female
B)Idiot
C)Arrogant

I worked at a job for a year and a half with a clean record. New boss came in....fired me in 2 weeks....I was the #2

Less than a month later he quits and screws over the kitchen. So I go back and talk to the GM of the entire hotel...and he tells me ya everything sounds good....go talk to HR and thats that....well after talking and explaining what happened....I leave with a good feeling that I'm coming back.

Only to have to wait for her lazy ass to call me a week later and tell me shes sorry I won't be back.....needless to say I took it up with the GM and told him I was no longer interested in coming back because obviously that lady couldn't use her head.

She was also fired within a month after that happened.

I actually had a job interview back there a week before I got this job with the new executive chef....pretty crazy that I went back there after HR was fired.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I think our janitors would do a better job than our HR people do. I'm not joking when I say that are terrible. Literally, they have done nothing for us when we've asked.

It must have something to do with the position of power....because you can never get in with them the same day....THEY ARE SOOOOOOOO BUSY.....they don't have a bunch of time for people "lower than them" and they are so busy they will "try" to get back to you.

It's like wtf....isn't that your job?

I KNOW IT ALL
03-07-2009, 03:24 PM
i've applied for big investment firms in Boston and NYC and not once was I asked my GPA.

Perhaps that's why you never got a job? GPA is required for every new graduate position that is competitive that I can think of.

thule
03-07-2009, 03:25 PM
its their job to weed out the candidates and i get that. you get past them then the real interview starts. you just have to know how to interview to get past them. doesnt matter waht your resume say. dont just asnwer their questions with one word answers, but dont babble. give an example for each strength or weakness(play a weakness off into something that could be a strength). its cake to get past HR..its just about killing interviews 2-4 and more if need be.

In my last interview I had down in the cities...I know I talked to AQ about it....the HR lady that I talked too was fired...so I was ready to get it...then 2 weeks later then new lady calls me and sets it up....let me tell you....she was not on the same page as the other lady and I went in looking like an idiot. I still think that she was looking for the wrong requirements...but needless to say I didn't get that job.

bored of education
03-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Perhaps that's why you never got a job? GPA is required for every new graduate position that is competitive that I can think of.

nope i got a job. But they never asked it whether it was interview 1 or interview 4.

sweetness34
03-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Try this one;

My boss supposedly had to go to manager meetings in our state capitol once a month or so. He was not notified about it and people were wondering where he was.

Of course the things that were covered were things that we were asking about.

Well our HR person that works in our building claims that my boss was at those meetings. My boss has said basically she is on crack and that he had never attended the meetings. So we asked how she knew he was there, and her reply (get ready for this one);

"Well I wasn't ever at those meetings, I just know he was there. I haven't attended them either but Dan has been to every one of those meetings so there is no need for you to be asking about this stuff. Dan was in the meeting room when these discussions were going on."

I know for a fact he was never there because he was working with us when those meetings were happening.

Can we add completely insane to the characteristics of HR people?

bored of education
03-07-2009, 03:27 PM
In my last interview I had down in the cities...I know I talked to AQ about it....the HR lady that I talked too was fired...so I was ready to get it...then 2 weeks later then new lady calls me and sets it up....let me tell you....she was not on the same page as the other lady and I went in looking like an idiot. I still think that she was looking for the wrong requirements...but needless to say I didn't get that job.

yeah you really need to sorta put yourself out there for that initial HR contract. it sucks but thats how it works.

sweetness34
03-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I have about 10 stories on that level that I've heard about or went through with our HR people.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-07-2009, 03:30 PM
nope i got a job. But they never asked it whether it was interview 1 or interview 4.

What is your job and were you a fresh grad?

bored of education
03-07-2009, 03:32 PM
What is your job and were you a fresh grad?

no i wasnt a fresh grad i had about 2-3 years experiece and i work in investment sales...im not a portfolio analyst strategist type...i know those guys are more strict through the process hiring. GPA's, references, trust funds, yacht club memberships etc

awfullyquiet
03-08-2009, 01:19 AM
no i wasnt a fresh grad i had about 2-3 years experiece and i work in investment sales...im not a portfolio analyst strategist type...i know those guys are more strict through the process hiring. GPA's, references, trust funds, yacht club memberships etc

especially the yacht club memberships...

twats.

TimD
03-08-2009, 01:39 AM
i'm still in college so i obviously dont know about applying for "real" jobs yet, but pretty much everyone ive talked to said that if their gpa was x amount better they feel they could have gotten a better job. could be ********, but that's what i base my opinions off of.

good gpa = better job opportunities immediately after college.

i look at it like this. let's say theres 2 people applying for the same job. one with a 3.7 one with a 2.7. the one with the 3.7 will probably have a slight advantage going into the interview stage. now whoever gets the job depends on the interviews but any advantage helps. i know right out of college i will have my college gpa on my resume.

WMD
03-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Nice work thuley. You lucky bastard. I didn't finish HS, I don't even remember what my GPA was.. I, too, was a few credits away.. I'm hoping to one day bump into a CEO who offers me a job.

iowatreat54
03-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Well, technically we have to qualify what GPA is, because HS GPA is severely different than college GPA. If I didn't go to college, I don't even think I would put my HS GPA on a resume because of how little weight it would carry. I still have been told college GPA isn't the end all be all, but it is at least worth putting on a resume.

El Peefs?????
03-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Congrats on your daddy knowing people Thule.

fischbowl
03-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey, Michael Dell dropped out of school and still made millions in computers. Maybe one day I'll buy a Thule brand laptop

thule
03-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Nice work thuley. You lucky bastard. I didn't finish HS, I don't even remember what my GPA was.. I, too, was a few credits away.. I'm hoping to one day bump into a CEO who offers me a job.

peewee/squirt hockey games are a great place to bump into successful people and hot moms...it was a really good weekend

thule
03-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey, Michael Dell dropped out of school and still made millions in computers. Maybe one day I'll buy a Thule brand laptop

Nop...not making laptops. However I was told yesterday that we were taking down Google..and if we weren't onboard then there is the door. The scary part was he was serious. He said what google is to search engines we are going to be to niches. Needless to say he has some crazy big ideas.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something here, but is this what happened:

A CEO of a technologically-based start-up hired somebody with no software development experience, knowledge, or training as a software developer?

Seems like a prudent business decision to me. I mean, it's not like unemployment is out of control and the labour market is flooded with highly-skilled employees willing to work for less.

This is not an attack at you thule, just seems completely insane that a CEO would make a human resources move like this.

D-Unit
03-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Congrats thule. Just remember us small people when you reach the top!

...and maybe one day you'll make it back to Hawaii. :)

fischbowl
03-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Nop...not making laptops. However I was told yesterday that we were taking down Google..and if we weren't onboard then there is the door. The scary part was he was serious. He said what google is to search engines we are going to be to nitches. Needless to say he has some crazy big ideas.

Google operates in my building. And no I reject whatever recon operations you want me to do

thule
03-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something here, but is this what happened:

A CEO of a technologically-based start-up hired somebody with no software development experience, knowledge, or training as a software developer?

Seems like a prudent business decision to me. I mean, it's not like unemployment is out of control and the labour market is flooded with highly-skilled employees willing to work for less.

This is not an attack at you thule, just seems completely insane that a CEO would make a human resources move like this.

Here is my thoughts on his decision.

He knows my dad and has heard stories about how I was raised...ect

He had a business opportunity ahead that he might land which was going to require another php-oop programmer at his disposal.

Since the deal wasn't final and the immediate need for the position wasn't there he told himself to take a chance

I come from a well-rounded technical background with about 3 years of experience doing frontend server operations.

Also I am on a 3 month trial/probationary period...making less than probably any programmer out there. So if I workout great....if not it wasnt a huge loss because he didn't have an immediate need anyways. Plus this is a heavy incentives job ....37% profit sharing that doesn't get touched unless your employed Dec 31st....so he really is investing 3000 dollars into me because he values "hard working, driven, people who are passionate about technology.

For the record we landed "his deal" today...which means I'm going to be thrown to the dogs earlier than anticipated....which means it's time for me to show up.

thule
03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Congrats thule. Just remember us small people when you reach the top!

...and maybe one day you'll make it back to Hawaii. :)

If this niche web portal stuff is true....I will definately be coming back to that area...and this time the tab will be on me :P

I KNOW IT ALL
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Here is my thoughts on his decision.

He knows my dad and has heard stories about how I was raised...ect

He had a business opportunity ahead that he might land which was going to require another php-oop programmer at his disposal.

Since the deal wasn't final and the immediate need for the position wasn't there he told himself to take a chance

I come from a well-rounded technical background with about 3 years of experience doing frontend server operations.

Also I am on a 3 month trial/probationary period...making less than probably any programmer out there. So if I workout great....if not it wasnt a huge loss because he didn't have an immediate need anyways. Plus this is a heavy incentives job ....37% profit sharing that doesn't get touched unless your employed Dec 31st....so he really is investing 3000 dollars into me because he values "hard working, driven, people who are passionate about technology.

For the record we landed "his deal" today...which means I'm going to be thrown to the dogs earlier than anticipated....which means it's time for me to show up.

Very interesting. Well keep us updated, hope it works out for you!