PDA

View Full Version : Jarron Gilbert

roscoesdad27
03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I see him as the second best 3-4 d.e. in the draft, slightly behind tyson jackson...or a justin tuck type in a 4-3, playing l.e. in base and switching to u.t. in nickel/dime packages. He had a tremendous combine and I think a first round lock. i have him going to tampa bay in my mock to play a justin tuck type role for a team that needs a l.e. and an u.t. If he slips past them the ravens could use him at d.e. with ngata move inside and an aging injury prone trevor pryce....he would be PERFECT in arizona replacing antonio smith...or in pittsburgh to play in their 3-4 scheme and backup a pair of aging vets until he gets his chance.

could go as high as 13 to the skins as a justin tuck type l.e. and no lower than pitt at 32...first round lock?

Shane P. Hallam
03-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't think he is a first round lock by many means. Yes, a great 3-4 DE, but past that, wouldn't take him in the first. Heck, Tyson Jackson can fall to 32 if some of the other DEs/OLBs fall, and 4-3 teams nowadays want a pass rushing DE over that bigger guy. I have him in the mid-2nd right now

roscoesdad27
03-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Yes, a great 3-4 DE, but past that, wouldn't take him in the first....and 4-3 teams nowadays want a pass rushing DE over that bigger guy.

what do you think of the justin tuck role he could play in a 4-3?...works great for the giants.

jsagan77
03-07-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't think he is a first round lock by many means. Yes, a great 3-4 DE, but past that, wouldn't take him in the first. Heck, Tyson Jackson can fall to 32 if some of the other DEs/OLBs fall, and 4-3 teams nowadays want a pass rushing DE over that bigger guy. I have him in the mid-2nd right now

What makes him a "Great 3-4 DE"?

Shane P. Hallam
03-07-2009, 10:42 PM
What makes him a "Great 3-4 DE"?

Very good size, and it really fits him in that 3-4. 6'5 288 is pretty nice. He has a bit of athleticism to go horizontally, but was always an excellent run stuffer. He played tackle in college, and should make an easy adjustment over to 3-4 DE. He just has everything you want in that position. Can eat up a tackle, stuff the run, has enough athleticism to pick off smaller RBs, etc.

And Justin Tuck is in a unique defensive scheme. No one can play as he does, I think Gilbert will go to a 3-4 team in the second.

twista6002
03-07-2009, 10:57 PM
One of my buds plays at SJSU and told me he's the most freakish physical specimen he's ever seen

Menardo75
03-07-2009, 11:51 PM
The video of him jumping out of the pool is insane.

twista6002
03-08-2009, 12:36 AM
The video of him jumping out of the pool is insane.

My boy who plays at SJSU said he also leaped from one subway platform to another over a rail, and BART subway rails between platforms are about 12 feet. Dude is a specimen. And keep in mind he's pushing 300 pounds

jsagan77
03-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Very good size, and it really fits him in that 3-4. 6'5 288 is pretty nice. He has a bit of athleticism to go horizontally, but was always an excellent run stuffer. He played tackle in college, and should make an easy adjustment over to 3-4 DE. He just has everything you want in that position. Can eat up a tackle, stuff the run, has enough athleticism to pick off smaller RBs, etc.

And Justin Tuck is in a unique defensive scheme. No one can play as he does, I think Gilbert will go to a 3-4 team in the second.

I don't get that from Gilbert. I know small school kids can make it in the NFL but it's rare... I agree that he was great for his team but wasn't that D-2 ball? He has a lot of potential but I'm going to have my reservations about him until I see him against a bit better talent.

I'm interested, did you get to watch him this year? What's his motor like and what was his level of competition like?

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Jarron is my best bet for the highest riser in the draft. The kid is very intriguing, explosive, superior measurables, agile, nose for the football, can play multiple line positions in any scheme.

I'm not the Skins GM, but I would reach like hell for Gilbert and pick him at #13. He has the most upside of any DLineman in the draft and if he can manage to put on 20-25 pounds the next couple of years, he could be a dominant DT.

Don't know how powerful he is, but from a physical standpoint I'd love to see him line up next to Haynesworth next year inside.

And the reason he went to San Jose State, (WAC conference, D1 school), is he was 240 pounds coming out of HS, don't think he played all four years.

Also his dad is a former NFL OT.

roscoesdad27
03-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Jarron is my best bet for the highest riser in the draft. The kid is very intriguing, explosive, superior measurables, agile, nose for the football, can play multiple line positions in any scheme.

I'm not the Skins GM, but I would reach like hell for Gilbert and pick him at #13. He has the most upside of any DLineman in the draft and if he can manage to put on 20-25 pounds the next couple of years, he could be a dominant DT.

Don't know how powerful he is, but from a physical standpoint I'd love to see him line up next to Haynesworth next year inside.

And the reason he went to San Jose State, (WAC conference, D1 school), is he was 240 pounds coming out of HS, don't think he played all four years.

Also his dad is a former NFL OT.

if the skins, or any 3-4 team gets him, I would like to see him slim down and stay at about 280 where i think he could be the next justin tuck....he would be a great and much needed 4-3 left end that could kick inside to u.t. next to haynesworth on pass situations.

if a 3-4 team get him i would like to see him get to and stay at about 300 pounds...i would love him on my ravens in the bottom of the first.

ironman4579
03-08-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't get that from Gilbert. I know small school kids can make it in the NFL but it's rare... I agree that he was great for his team but wasn't that D-2 ball? He has a lot of potential but I'm going to have my reservations about him until I see him against a bit better talent.

I'm interested, did you get to watch him this year? What's his motor like and what was his level of competition like?

San Jose State is a D-1 team. They play in the WAC. They played on the road at Nebraska, as well as teams like Stanford, San Diego State, Hawaii, Boise State and Fresno State. Against Nebraska he had a TFL, and against Boise State, he had 9 tackles, 4 TFL's, 2 sacks, a forced fumble, and 2 hurries. I didn't check the other games, but the guy has put up numbers against at least alright competition at the very least.

Iamcanadian
03-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Gilbert is definitely the wildcard in this year's draft. He could easily go round 1 and maybe a lot higher than people expect. He's not a cinch by any means and may only be a high 2nde rounder but I doubt it.
This is not an exceptionally great draft and any 3-4 team may well draft him in round 1 once you get past the top 12 picks and even 4-3 teams may like him and be willing to take a shot after the 18th pick. I like him better than Jackson who is getting a lot of chatter in that range but it is just my opinion.

Iamcanadian
03-08-2009, 09:03 AM

I suggest you check the starting rosters on NFL teams, I think you'll find your claim is not true.

Scott Wright
03-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I know small school kids can make it in the NFL but it's rare...

I don't know about that. It seems to me there are a lot of small schooler excelling in the NFL.

I'm going to have my reservations about him until I see him against a bit better talent.

Well, he was the most dominant player at the East / West Shrine all-star game.

Shane P. Hallam
03-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Yeah, you definitely should take a look. The Titans just gave a D-3 WR a fat contract. Gilbert is from a D-1 school, and played against top competition, plus what Scott said, the East/West Shrine game really showed how dominant he can be.

If you truly are concerned about an adjustment, I think the 3-4 DE is the spot to place him in, a spot where little adjustment is really needed.

As for watching him in games, I've snagged a few tapes, and he definitely looks ready to take that step to the NFL level. I would not hesitate to place in the 3-4 system.

bigbluedefense
03-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I LOVE Jarron Gilbert. While most peg him as a 3-4 DE, I honestly think his best role would be a UT in a penetrating scheme. He's a great penetrator.

I compare him favorably to Darnell Dockett, who i think is an absolute beast in his own right.

If the Giants didn't make so many moves, Id be the strongest advocate of this guy to our team. He's a perfect fit for what the Giants love to do.

I think he can play both 3-4 DE and 4-3 UT. He has the skill set to do both.

3-4 DE will kind of hold him back, bc it will take away from his ridiculous abilities as a pass rusher to penetrate.

Id still do backflips if the Giants took him anyway.

skinzzfan25
03-08-2009, 11:13 AM
I'd like him for the skins but 13 is too early IMO.

THav916
03-08-2009, 11:14 AM
I LOVE Jarron Gilbert. While most peg him as a 3-4 DE, I honestly think his best role would be a UT in a penetrating scheme. He's a great penetrator.

I compare him favorably to Darnell Dockett, who i think is an absolute beast in his own right.

If the Giants didn't make so many moves, Id be the strongest advocate of this guy to our team. He's a perfect fit for what the Giants love to do.

3-4 DE will kind of hold him back, bc it will take away from his ridiculous abilities as a pass rusher to penetrate.

I think the fact that so many of us think he's a 'perfect' fit for a different scheme...4-3 DE, 4-3 DT, 3-4 DE...just adds to his versatility, draft stock and likelihood that he'll get selected early. He could go to a variety of teams at a variety of positions. Along the lines above, as a Steelers fan wanting him for the 3-4 DE spot, I almost thought it was an overrated fact about his 40 time, as that doesn't really matter at that position. The important number was the longest arms in the draft with 28 reps. The dude is a freak. He's versatile. People seem to bash him for a one-year wonder but it actually seemed like he had 3 solid seasons before exploding. Not to mention the well documented 240lbs out of high school and raw ability. As many of you have pointed out, San Jose St plays at a higher level than a lot of people seem to realize. Guys like Demarcus Ware show it doesn't matter where you come from anyway. And Gilbert even has strong bloodlines. He's one of my favorite targets for the Steelers and I think the dude's gonna be a force at wherever you put him.

TheBuffaloBills
03-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Where is this video of Gilbert jumping out of a pool? I have never seen it before. JK, Its everywhere, and getting alittle annoying. It's very impressive, but it's getting too much hype.

I think Gilbert will be a great fit for a 3-4 DE. I think he will have a better career than Tyson Jackson.

jsagan77
03-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I don't know about that. It seems to me there are a lot of small schooler excelling in the NFL.

Maybe "rare" was a bad word choice but I think it's more of a law of averages equation than anything... I'd say the NFL is predominantly a big school league but it's not overly common for small school names to stick due to their lack of exposure...

Though I'm not enamored with the level of talent he played in college his stats and measurable's are undeniable so he's actually a very intriguing prospect when everything comes together... I may have been underestimating him a bit, but we'll see..

Well, he was the most dominant player at the East / West Shrine all-star game.

That's good to know. Since we're talking about players from smaller schools and the E/W Shrine game, did you get a chance to see Clinton McDonald? What do you think of him as a prospet?

BroadwayJoe10
03-08-2009, 04:03 PM

That's what she said ;)

Joking aside, he really does possess a unique skill set, as mentioned. I think you're right that placing him as a 34 DE would limit his ability to penetrate and make plays in the backfield. However, if used in a more hybrid 34 system, where he can slide in as a DT I think it would create some serious mismatches for the opposing offense. He just seems that he has the talent to line up in various spots on the line in numerous situations, giving the offense a handful of different looks.

bigbluedefense
03-08-2009, 04:08 PM
That's what she said ;)

Joking aside, he really does possess a unique skill set, as mentioned. I think you're right that placing him as a 34 DE would limit his ability to penetrate and make plays in the backfield. However, if used in a more hybrid 34 system, where he can slide in as a DT I think it would create some serious mismatches for the opposing offense. He just seems that he has the talent to line up in various spots on the line in numerous situations, giving the offense a handful of different looks.

i agree completely. thats why i liken him to Darnell Dockett so much.

a hybrid scheme is perfect for him. just like its perfect for Dockett.

This guy can literally play 4-3 LE, 4-3 UT, 3-4 DE, and even NT in nickel 3-3-5 sets, just like Dockett.

I know what youre thinking, and yes, Rex Ryan would know how to use this guy well :p

derza222
03-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I know what youre thinking, and yes, Rex Ryan would know how to use this guy well :p

To be honest, I actually kind of prefer him to Jackson for us for just that reason. He'd be a very interesting pick there. We still need a receiver really, really badly though. And you can't forget about the question marks at the QB position...

Menardo75
03-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Even though 3-4 DE isn't that much of a need anymore I still wouldn't be opposed to us taking this guy.

roscoesdad27
03-08-2009, 08:48 PM
I'd like him for the skins but 13 is too early IMO.

thats where i have him going in my latest mock with orakpo, brown, smith and oher off the board.

you guys need help at l.e. and at u.t....gilbert can fill both needs by playing l.e. in base packages and shifting inside on nickel/dime pakages ala justin tuck...I think this is his best role althou he would be a tremendous 3-4 d.e. as well...the redskins and bucs could use him in the justin tuck role.

mqtirishfan
03-08-2009, 11:29 PM
If the Packers could get him in the 2nd, I wouldn't even care if the #9 pick sucked.

bigbluedefense
03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
i think this board is severely overrating his worth. he's not going in the 1st round.

He's the #4 rated 4-3 DT by most accounts, and the #2 rated 3-4 DE.

No 3-4 team is going to touch him in the 1st unless its Pittsburgh, and I don't see them doing that, especially since Tyson Jackson could very well still be available at that point in time.

and I don't see the #4 rated DT in a weak DT class going in the 1st either.

He's a mid 2nd pick.

nepg
03-09-2009, 11:18 AM
He's a late first to early second pick. He's so versatile, and putting him at 3-4 DE would be such an easy transition... I could see him going as early as San Diego at #16, and no later than San Francisco in Round 2.
________
BustyHottness (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/BustyHottness/)

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-09-2009, 11:56 AM
I won't say Gilbert is underrated, Bigblue, but there's no way he's the 4th best DT in the draft.
I don't care how anyone wants to rank them, none of the DTs listed in front of Gilbert have his upside.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't taken in the 1st round, somewhere between the 20th and 32 pick.

bitonti
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
when it's all said and done 2nd round is an excellent result for Jarron Gilbert. even with the combine he's kinda coming out of nowhere for the decision makers. if he makes it in it's just barely like TEN, PIT.

hannah73
03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I could see the Patsies taking him in the first or early second. THey need a 3-4 DE badly and he has the rare ability to play it and play it with athleticism. BB is quoted as saying that good big men are as rare as hens' teeth and you grab them when you can. Something like that.

Seymour is probably gone or will price himself out after this year.

ElectricEye
03-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I could see the Patsies taking him in the first or early second. THey need a 3-4 DE badly and he has the rare ability to play it and play it with athleticism. BB is quoted as saying that good big men are as rare as hens' teeth and you grab them when you can. Something like that.

Seymour is probably gone or will price himself out after this year.

Badly? Wouldn't say that. Next year, maybe. But I don't think working something out wit Seymour is impossible. Like the guy a ton, but it would be a wasted first to pick him over guys at positions that we need help at right now.

Mr. Stiller
03-10-2009, 11:56 AM
i think this board is severely overrating his worth. he's not going in the 1st round.

He's the #4 rated 4-3 DT by most accounts, and the #2 rated 3-4 DE.

No 3-4 team is going to touch him in the 1st unless its Pittsburgh, and I don't see them doing that, especially since Tyson Jackson could very well still be available at that point in time.

and I don't see the #4 rated DT in a weak DT class going in the 1st either.

He's a mid 2nd pick.

Tomlin loves him some rare talented guys. No one really thought Timmons was a top 15 pick before Pitt took him. And at 32, this guy is the Lawrence Timmons of 3-4 DL talent.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Tomlin loves him some rare talented guys. No one really thought Timmons was a top 15 pick before Pitt took him. And at 32, this guy is the Lawrence Timmons of 3-4 DL talent.

You know I love me some Lawrence Timmons.

But I don't see the Steelers going after him when they have CB, and oline to worry about.

I still think Alex Mack is the pick for Pittsburgh.

thule
03-11-2009, 08:11 PM
If anyone else wants to drool more...here is his shrine bowl video from draftguys

jarron_gilbert_video/ (http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/jarron_gilbert_video/)

bergo23
03-12-2009, 06:25 AM
The highest I've seen is Skins at #13.....but now that AJ Smith has solidified LB with Burnett......I see him taking a chance on Gilbert.......this kid is so versatile, and Rivera loves versatility!!!

Many would say this is a reach because he played at a small school, but in a 3-4 with the ability to switch inside on 3rd down as a tackle....he is perfect for the Bolts and Rivera's scheme, and it is their #1 need (with OLine a close #2).

Scott Wright
03-12-2009, 07:17 AM
I like Jarron Gilbert as much as the next guy but but not only is he not a first round pick but he isn't even a sure-fire second rounder.

Larry121283
03-12-2009, 08:10 AM
I like Jarron Gilbert as much as the next guy but but not only is he not a first round pick but he isn't even a sure-fire second rounder.
I agree.

He went from underrated to overrated over the course of a few weeks.

Late second round, early third round type, IMO.

thule
03-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Sure-fire is a risky thing to say about any prospect not from a top school.

Lets just say that he could be overdrafted and go in the late first by a team that can afford to take the risk...or fill a need in the beginning of the third for a team that has a hole. That is pretty much the best case : worst case scenario.

Me personally...I don't see him falling out of the 2nd...he is arguably the top 3-4 DE in this class...depending on how you view Jackson...and he has hands down the top skillset for the position in the pros. I think he falls in the anywhere from cleveland to dallas in the 2nd round.

D-Unit
03-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I would be really disappointed if Dallas passes on him. But I can see them doing it if Ron Brace is available. Which would make sense if they plan to play Ratliff in some DE packages.

thule
03-12-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't see him making it past the broncos in the 2nd round to be honest.

Dowdy
03-18-2009, 10:33 PM
This guy makes me drool, and I am sure that some GMs are drooling as well. He seems like the kind of player that will be a surprise late first rounder to me.

SenorGato
03-19-2009, 01:07 AM
I like Gilbert.

I think he's a Trevor Pryce clone. Pryce was a bit bigger coming out, but the versatility, athleticism, and playing style all resemble Pryce.

I think he's a perfect fit for whatever D-scheme in most roles.