03-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Stephen McGee?

Hurricanes25
03-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Pat White and Stephen Mcgee

sbh15
03-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Percy Harvin is not a wildcat QB...

this whole Wildcat thing is getting blown way out of proportion.

Suddenly Miami is expected to use a 2nd round pick on a quarterback for their other offense?

keylime_5
03-07-2009, 09:59 PM
yeah, I don't get the enamoration with something that is basically like 5 plays a game where the guy takes the direct snap and runs it like 95% of the time. It's a nice wrinkle, but it's not a huge part of the playbook. Ronnie Brown and the Dolphins totally shredded the Patriots last year in that one game (didn't work at all the 2nd time they played), but other than that it hasn't been a totally big deal. Pat White can be a nice Josh Cribbs/Antwan Randle El type who can do the wildcat formation plays.

Brent
03-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Stephen McGee?
McGee can actually play pro-style QB.

Halsey
03-07-2009, 10:15 PM

Yeah, but he's supposedly a good runner too. I haven't seen much of him and I just wonder if he could be effective in a wildcat play.

And I agree with people saying the whole wildcat thing is getting overhyped.

Brent
03-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, but he's supposedly a good runner too. I haven't seen much of him and I just wonder if he could be effective in a wildcat play.
He sure as hell can run but that doesnt mean he should to be lumped into the same category as Pat White.

PossibleCabbage
03-07-2009, 10:56 PM

All the impressions I've gotten from this last season of college ball, and all of the post-season hoopla lead me to believe that Pat White can as well. That's why he's a valuable draft pick, because he'd be great as a wildcat guy, but he's also instantly a #3, who can grow into a #2 or maybe even a #1, and you can also trot him out there at WR.

I mean, Kordell Stewart was a second round pick. I see Pat White as being a similar sort of prospect, probably with higher upside.

no love
03-07-2009, 11:42 PM
I think the wildcat formation could evolve into a very useful package given the right personnel. If a team were ever to have moderate success passing out of the formation, it could act in a very similar way to play action.

PACKmanN
03-08-2009, 03:17 AM
Malcolm Jenkins, he knows what the secondary is thinking. ;)

umphrey
03-08-2009, 05:56 AM
No one should bump up prospects on their list because of wildcat potential. It's one of my pet peeves. That offense is a gimmick that won't last a full year. Teams will know exactly how to stop it next season and anyone who tries it will look stupid.

roscoesdad27
03-08-2009, 07:45 AM
All the impressions I've gotten from this last season of college ball, and all of the post-season hoopla lead me to believe that Pat White can as well. That's why he's a valuable draft pick, because he'd be great as a wildcat guy, but he's also instantly a #3, who can grow into a #2 or maybe even a #1, and you can also trot him out there at WR.

I mean, Kordell Stewart was a second round pick. I see Pat White as being a similar sort of prospect, probably with higher upside.

exactly...he would be great for a team like dallas or jax because they need help at reciever (white would be great in the slot as an antwan randle el type and gain valuable knowledge of defenses that he can translate to the q.b. position), a #2 q.b. (possible career #2 or potentially well groomed #1 in a few years), and somebody to potentially run the wildcat offense better than its ever been ran, he could be known as the guy that took it to the next level.

like a sick mix between antwan randle el, doug flutie and mike vick.

I have him going to jax in the third round but he could easily move up in the second to dallas...thats about as high as I see him going.

roscoesdad27
03-08-2009, 07:52 AM
No one should bump up prospects on their list because of wildcat potential.

disagree.

i think the ability to run the wildcat adds to pat white's, lesean mccoy's, percy harvin's and derrick williams's value.

the 2 teams that ran the wildcat the most last year (ravens, dolphins) both made the playoffs...not saying it's conclusive but i thought it should be pointed out.

roscoesdad27
03-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I think the wildcat formation could evolve into a very useful package given the right personnel. If a team were ever to have moderate success passing out of the formation, it could act in a very similar way to play action.

pat white and vince young are the guys that can take it to the next level...vick would've been sick...maybe still could be.....

RedVision
03-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I agree that all this "Wilcat QB" is getting out of proportion, but James Casey should be on that list

Babylon
03-08-2009, 12:12 PM
First of all i dont think QBs should be called wildcat players, they're just a QB taking a shotgun snap and running with the ball, whatever.

I do think a player enhances his ability to be a wildcat option, it is a limited number of plays but you can also get him the ball on reverses, maybe not a big plus but i think its a plus.

no love
03-08-2009, 12:40 PM
No one should bump up prospects on their list because of wildcat potential. It's one of my pet peeves. That offense is a gimmick that won't last a full year. Teams will know exactly how to stop it next season and anyone who tries it will look stupid.

I disagree that teams shouldn't bump up prospects bc of wildcat potential. Playing in the wildcat simply is saying that a player has another skill set that will make him more versatile. As they say, the more you can do, the more valuable you are to a team.

Do teams bump up players who have shown a knack for blocking kicks and providing great special teams blocking ability? Ofcourse they do, even if it is only something that they might utilize a few times a game.

Now in the case of the wildcat, the bump is marginal but it is still a situational skill that can be used a few times a game.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
the growing use of the Wildcat in the NFL really does boost players stock in the draft, however, I can't see why. As stated above, its only run like 5-7 times a game and is a boom or bust play.

BBIB
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
the growing use of the Wildcat in the NFL really does boost players stock in the draft, however, I can't see why. As stated above, its only run like 5-7 times a game and is a boom or bust play.

The two teams who ran Wildcard had two of the biggest turnarounds in NFL history.

The Dolphins especially were really benefactors of that formation and they ran it more than 5-7 times per game.

They also only passed the ball out of the formation once or twice all season. Someone like Pat White in that formation makes it so much more dangerous. It's a legit formation that could be run a dozen times per game which could cause severe headaches for a team.

Ronnie Brown averaged over 2 more yards per carry out of that formation than he did traditionally. And if a team averages 4-5 yards per play out of that formation, that's as good as any run play

Rjspartan
03-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Malcolm Jenkins, he knows what the secondary is thinking. ;)
hahahaha lol!

BBIB
03-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Percy Harvin is not a wildcat QB...

this whole Wildcat thing is getting blown way out of proportion.

Suddenly Miami is expected to use a 2nd round pick on a quarterback for their other offense?

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2008/11/eye-popping-foc.html

The Miami Dolphins had an 8 game stretch where they averaged more yards per play out of the Wildcat than they did out of their base offense period.

"The Dolphins have run Wildcat a total of 59 times this season. They have rushed 55 of those times, passed twice and been sacked twice. Miami averages 7.1 yards per play in Wildcat. It averages 5.6 yards per play outside of Wildcat.

Out of the 55 rushes, the Dolphins have gained 356 yards. They have scored six rushing touchdowns out of Wildcat. They have averaged 6.4 yards per carry out of Wildcat.

The base offense production pales by comparison. The Dolphins have rushed 225 rushes for 819 yards out of the base set. That is a 3.6 yards per carry average, about 44 percent less than what they average in Wildcat. The Dolphins have scored eight of their rushing TDs out of the base offense which means Wildcat has almost equaled the point production on runs despite being used on 170 fewer running plays."

Exactly how many yards they averaged per play by season's end I can't find but I do remember John Clayton said Ronnie Brown averaged 2 yards more per carry out of the Wildcat than their base offense over the course of the season.

And keep in mind they did all this while only passing TWICE out of that formation. Teams completely keyed in on their running back.

Also keep in mind they did not even touch the tip of the iceberg of this formation. It's something they installed in their 3rd game of the season. Not something they had worked on in the off-season and training camp. Not something they fully installed with over a dozen of potential plays.

You give a team a full off-season to install this offense and give them a QB who is a threat to not only throw the ball more than twice all season but more than that many times per quarter, and that offense will create plenty of potential headaches for defenses.

SKim172
03-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Personally, I think the wildcat is a viable offense that is feasible in the NFL. I believe college offenses can work in the big game and would bring some fresh variety to that level. I even think offenses like the zone-option read, the one Pat White's been running at West Virginia, can be successful in the NFL.

BUT, AS IT STANDS, the wildcat will not work as an NFL offense. It will not be more than a gadget, not a whole new playbook.

And it's very simple to explain why - to install such a radically new offense, you'd need to re-build everything. Raze the forests, scorch the earth and scatter salt in the wound. That's really the only way. You're re-thinking your entire offensive philosophy and re-building out of that thinking. You'd need to hire new coaches, from the head coach to the lowest assistant, guys who are experienced in the system, know how to run it. You'd need to re-assess your entire roster, get rid of old standbys who won't succeed in the offense, test out new players who might. You'd need talent scouts who know the offense and know what to look for in prospects. And you'd need an understanding front office and fanbase who'll be okay with mediocrity, maybe even downright humiliation, for at least the next two seasons.

And what are the chances of that, really?

At the college level, new offenses tend to develop at the small schools, or the loser schools, and the scope and number of teams is large enough that a new offense is more likely to develop and the circumstances more favorable to innovation.

At the pro level, you've got 32 teams, a lot of money on the line and a bad season can get you fired.

Is the wildcat here to stay? At the very least, it's a foot in the door and maybe an opening for some innovation in the league. But as it stands, it's still a gadget formation and no team has yet built an offense around it.

And I disagree with you BBIB - first off, there were plenty of teams that had a wildcat package, but only the Phins really ran it regularly. And they didn't do it more than 10 times a game. And they abandoned the Wild Tuna quickly in tough games. Their bread and butter remains your standard pro offense - they just like a touch of marmalade every now and then.

YAYareaRB
03-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Derrick Williams would be the best I believe. They could line him up either at WR or RB and could be switched to Wildcat without the defense noticing really.

PossibleCabbage
03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't think the Wildcat is really an "offense" so much as just a gimmicky set that you can run a variety of plays out of. You just sub in a RB-type player for the QB, and (usually) run the ball.

It doesn't require revamping the whole offense, it's not fundamentally different than going 5 wide, or 3 TE set, or that goofy looking inverted Wishbone that Green Bay runs. I mean, for years you've seen trick plays where the QB splits out wide, and the WR runs in and takes the snap, and that's not really conceptually different than the Wildcat. Misdirection, confusion, and unpredictability aren't exactly new discoveries for offensive coordinators.

In the end, it's just blocking, running, and passing. You may not be able to run it because you don't have an RB who poses any threat as a passer, but it's doesn't really require a total roster revamp or really committing to it as an offense.

Menardo75
03-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Since when did a trick play become an offense?

Smokey Joe
03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
WRONG.

It is something that will stay around for a while. Now, if a team ever goes to the option spread, otherwise known as the "wildcat" as their base O, they will be screwed because an NFL D can handle that.

However, when a team has the option of throwing in that package out of no where, it makes a DC's life a WHOLE lot tougher. Especially with someone like Pat White. You can have Pat White out there as a slot receiver and without even making any substitutions, you can surprise the D with him at QB the very next play. And with someone like White, you're talking about a guy who can run AND is a legit passing threat.

The "wildcat" will never be a base offense in the NFL, but most OC's realize the potential of just having that package in there to surprise a team and keep the DC guessing.

Pat White shouldn't be a first day pick based on his wildcat potential, but I could definitely see him going in the 2nd to a team looking to add a wildcat package to their offense, or make their wildcat offense better.