PDA

View Full Version : Brees is tampering

CC.SD
03-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Obviously not "officially" but wtf Breesy give us a chance.

BREES ADMITS TO RECRUITING L.T. TO N.O.

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2009, 10:48 a.m.
In an interview with XX 1090 AM (via SportsRadioInterviews.com), one of the radio stations in his old stomping grounds of San Diego, Saints quarterback Drew Brees recently addressed the current contract impasse involving the Chargers and running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

And if Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith ever smiles (then again, he never does), he surely wasn’t smiling after hearing what Brees had to say.

Following what seemed like 20 minutes of Brees talking about nothing that was all that compelling or humorous (with the exception of something about his wife once asking him if he had a sausage in his pocket), Brees addressed L.T.’s status.

As to whether Tomlinson should accept a reduction from the $6.725 million salary that he’s due to earn in 2009, Brees was unequivocal.

“I don’t think he should accept less money from the Chargers at this point,” Brees said, “because look at his track record . . . . Many people could say he had a decline this year, but I disagree with that. He was banged up for the majority of the year, and I think that’s just part of the game at times.

“I mean the guy hasn’t missed one start his entire NFL career, so if you’re going to sit here and tell me he’s, you know, not a durable guy, then you’re crazy. Like I said I think he’s still got a lot of motivation. I think he’s got a lot of fight and fire left in him. And you know he can still be a very productive player. So I don’t see any reason why he should be taking a pay cut at this point.”

So if Tomlinson refuses to take a pay cut, Brees would love to be reunited with his former San Diego teammate.

“I mean, come on, it’s an easy question,” Brees said. “I’d love to have him in New Orleans. I’d love to be his teammate again. I think L.T.’s got a lot of great years left in him so we’ll see what happens.”

Brees also admitted to having conversations with Tomlinson, and that the conversations have touched on L.T.’s status.

And Brees at first became very coy when asked point-blank about whether he has made it known to Tomlinson that Brees would like to have him in New Orleans.

“For me, I’m just waiting for the opportunity if he is available to come and snatch him,” Brees said.

As to the specific issue of whether Brees has shared that sentiment with Tomlinson, Brees was surprisingly candid.

“I think that’s pretty obvious, don’t you think?” Brees said.

Then reminded of the tampering rules, Brees said it was “just two buddies talkin’ on the phone.”

Yeah, and soon it could be two buddies playin’ some football together, again.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/08/brees-id-love-to-have-lt-in-new-orleans/

CashmoneyDrew
03-08-2009, 01:21 PM
They're best friends. It's forgivable.

kmartin575
03-08-2009, 01:22 PM
LT deserves more than having to deal with an ass like A.J. Smith.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-08-2009, 01:22 PM
If L.T. could play at something just a little close to his prime level, look out for the Saints, last time they had an consistent effective run game, they went to the NFCCG. If they sign him, I guess they'll be going defense in 1st round.

LonghornsLegend
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
It's an obvious fit, I have been thinking about the Saints as a likely spot for some time.

Sveen
03-08-2009, 02:05 PM
One player "recruiting" another player isn't tampering right? Isn't the only way for it to be tampering if a team recruits a player?

Flyboy
03-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah, nice way to try to stretch that CC.SD!

Tampering my ass. Sounds like two great friends having conversation to me.

no love
03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
It's okay for players to "recruit" guys. But it is not okay for ORGANIZATIONS to recruit. Big difference.

It's pretty well known that guys at the pro-bowl are always recruiting other guys and it's part of the fun.

Besides, Brees acknowledged that he thought the best thing for LT would be to stay in SD, but he just wants his friend to be treated well with regard to his contract.

Addict
03-08-2009, 03:24 PM
One player "recruiting" another player isn't tampering right? Isn't the only way for it to be tampering if a team recruits a player?

that's what I thought too. It really seems more like Brees is just being a friend to LT telling him what he thinks. Besides, even IF Tomlinson leaves San Diego, Brees isn't in charge of the Saints, so what he thinks really doesn't matter all that much. Now if he was the GM, then you could make a (strong) case of tampering.

Borat
03-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Only bitches like the Bears actually rat on other teams for tampering.

Flyboy
03-08-2009, 03:44 PM
This isn't "real news" to Saints fans anyhow.

It had been posted awhile back:

Sources close to the situation have informed me that the New Orleans Saints are “looking closely” at San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson. The Saints would have a “high level of interest” if the Chargers were unable to come to terms on a new deal with Tomlinson.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/sources-saints-interested-in-lt/

The Brees talking to LT thing just adds more fuel to the fire, though.

BaLLiN
03-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Reggie Bush, LT, Brees, Colston, holy poo!

whatll happen to Pierre Thomas?

Flyboy
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Reggie Bush, LT, Brees, Colston, holy poo!

whatll happen to Pierre Thomas?

Um, nothing? I'm sure he'd still be used if we were able to add LT.

Saints-Tigers
03-08-2009, 05:03 PM
He'd be used sparsely, kinda like the beginning of the year. Pierre is a big time special teamer too. LT, Bush, Pierre... I'd like that, I'd still like to patch the O-Line a bit.

Xenos
03-08-2009, 05:16 PM
This isn't "real news" to Saints fans anyhow.

It had been posted awhile back:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/sources-saints-interested-in-lt/

The Brees talking to LT thing just adds more fuel to the fire, though.
The thing I don't get is if LT leaves for NO, he still won't be paid 6.75 million. Heck, he'll make less than Reggie Bush and will be the second highest paid RB on that team. So it would make LT less of a person if he decides to leave for less money with a team that's not even close to a contender.

Flyboy
03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
He'd be used sparsely, kinda like the beginning of the year. Pierre is a big time special teamer too. LT, Bush, Pierre... I'd like that, I'd still like to patch the O-Line a bit.

Andre Smith at 14 imo.

TimD
03-08-2009, 05:18 PM
how is this wrong. im sure there are a lot of players who say to each other

"man it would be great to have you here with me"

not a big deal.

Saints-Tigers
03-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Yes, Andre Smith please.

Anyway, as for not being anywhere close to a contender, we were 8-8 with massive amounts of injuries, and Martin Gramatica cost us at least two games on easy FG's.

We aren't that far off.

Flyboy
03-08-2009, 05:22 PM
The thing I don't get is if LT leaves for NO, he still won't be paid 6.75 million. Heck, he'll make less than Reggie Bush and will be the second highest paid RB on that team. So it would make LT less of a person if he decides to leave for less money with a team that's not even close to a contender.

Not even close to a contender? All righty then. :rolleyes:

wicket
03-08-2009, 05:23 PM

jeah having the #1 offense might make us at least not far from a contender.

Xenos
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Until Sean Payton stops playing Madden with your team, you are going to always underachieve. The defense is still a mess (hint stop picking up cover 2 corners). And getting LT would be almost pointless since Payton loves to air it out so much. I understand that LT is a receiving threat as well, but you have Bush for that very reason, who is a lot of faster and more of a threat than LT is at this period.

The point of the matter is that no one is going to pay LT the 24 million that his current contract has him for. It's why the Chargers are asking him to restructure. I could understand if he took less money to play for an annual contender like the Patriots, Colts, or Steelers. But the Saints have only had gone to the postseason once under Payton. And the reason they haven't been able to do more is because of Payton and his playcalling. As well as his entire disregard for the defense.

Finally, if SD really wanted to be evil, they could wait until September 1st to release him without any cap penalty.

sweetness34
03-08-2009, 06:02 PM

2009 called and it said to come back when you're actually relevant to the NFL again.

Kthxbye

Menardo75
03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't see anything wrong. He is talking good about his buddy only the Bears would have a problem with it.

SaintsMan
03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Until Sean Payton stops playing Madden with your team, you are going to always underachieve. The defense is still a mess (hint stop picking up cover 2 corners). And getting LT would be almost pointless since Payton loves to air it out so much. I understand that LT is a receiving threat as well, but you have Bush for that very reason, who is a lot of faster and more of a threat than LT is at this period.

The point of the matter is that no one is going to pay LT the 24 million that his current contract has him for. It's why the Chargers are asking him to restructure. I could understand if he took less money to play for an annual contender like the Patriots, Colts, or Steelers. But the Saints have only had gone to the postseason once under Payton. And the reason they haven't been able to do more is because of Payton and his playcalling. As well as his entire disregard for the defense.

Finally, if SD really wanted to be evil, they could wait until September 1st to release him without any cap penalty.

The Bills play a lot of man coverage. Greer has excelled while playing man.

Payton offered some of his own money to get Greg Williams hired as DC. We spent last years first on a defensive player, this years first will most likely be a D player and we did lock up Vilma long term. I don't get this "disregard for the defense"?

Menardo75
03-08-2009, 08:32 PM
They have tried on defense it just hasn't worked out yet.

SaintsMan
03-08-2009, 08:56 PM
They have tried on defense it just hasn't worked out yet.

That's true, adding players like Jason David, Brian Simmons, Kevin Kaesviharn was a huge blunder. But I think we've added a few good players since last years off-season with Jonathan Vilma, Randall ***, Bobby McCray, Sedrick Ellis, Dan Morgan, Jabari Greer. Also, we finally have a legit DC for the first time since 2001 when Ron Zook left.

Xenos
03-08-2009, 09:04 PM
The Bills play a lot of man coverage. Greer has excelled while playing man.

Payton offered some of his own money to get Greg Williams hired as DC. We spent last years first on a defensive player, this years first will most likely be a D player and we did lock up Vilma long term. I don't get this "disregard for the defense"?
I didn't say disregard for the defense. From what you have told me, it sounds like it's going to improve with your new DC. I said it's still a mess and the primary reason seems to be the lack of pressure from both of your ends. If Williams can fix that problem then great. And if you draft more defensive help, then it's a step in the right direction.

However, disregarding the problems with the defense, there is still the issue with Payton as a playcaller. I think he loves airing it too much. Maybe the problem is that your line isn't as good at run blocking. However, even during the 2006 season when the rushing yards were decent under Payton, he still seemed to ignore it during crucial games. The problem with passing it so much is that it puts too much pressure on Brees. No QB can pass that much without making costly mistakes that hurt the team.

russie
03-08-2009, 09:22 PM

and the packers. the vikes never wanted that washed up piece of **** brett favre

Borat
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
2009 called and it said to come back when you're actually relevant to the NFL again.

Kthxbye

HAHA. 1992 called. It wants its joke back.

PACKmanN
03-09-2009, 12:30 AM
and the packers. the vikes never wanted that washed up piece of **** brett favre

you believe that lol.

vikes_28
03-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Cool. Brees wants L.T. on his team. Let's fight about it to see who is right and wrong in this situation.