PDA

View Full Version : Draft start moved to 4pm EST

BeerBaron
03-09-2009, 08:36 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/09/draft-nudges-closer-to-prime-time/

I'm not sure what to think about it just yet....just thought it was interesting and I didn't see it posted over here anywhere just yet so I thought I'd share.

Scott Wright
03-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Not sure if I like that or not.

My concern is that with all that time in the morning picks will start to leak out.

On the other hand perhaps it will gives teams more time to talk trade and perhaps give us an exciting morning of rumors.

fischbowl
03-09-2009, 08:56 AM
***. I'm still working until 6 that day

cdub11
03-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Not a fan of the late start

mat33
03-09-2009, 09:16 AM
What the hell am I supposed to do all day?

Larry
03-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Not a fan of the late start

Now that teams only have ten minutes to make their selection, the late start really is not too bad.

fischbowl
03-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Now that teams only have ten minutes to make their selection, the late start really is not too bad.

Eh, they'll still take all 10 minutes. 10 minutes of absolute gruel for us, yah

tjsunstein
03-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Gives me more time to sleep away my pre draft hangover.

ThePudge
03-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Gives me a little more time to get checked in to the hotel and something to eat beforehand. I like tradition as much as the next guy, but last year with the three o'clock start I didn't get drowsy in Radio City at any point (due to waking up later and a shorter day.) The chairs there are too comfortable and the food there is too expensive, so from the perspective of going to the draft, this probably helps. It's not going to make the people waiting in line any happier though as they will likely have to get there at the same same as usual.

draftguru151
03-09-2009, 09:31 AM

Seriously!

I liked making the picks shorter but changing the round days and start times is pretty lame.

BeerBaron
03-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Gives me more time to sleep away my pre draft hangover.

Or, conversely, pre-game for the draft, lol.

It is going to kind of upsetting if all that morning and afternoon the top picks start getting leaked out....it's really going to be anti-climatic if/when the first 5 picks are known before teh draft even starts.

TitanHope
03-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Sounds good to me! Now I get to sleep in before leavin' to hunt down Voodoo, Staubach12, and RCAChainGaing in Nashville.

They can't dodge my calls forever... :cool:

Xiomera
03-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Horrible decision.

And now I will have to take that day off of work . . .

stephenson86
03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
great so it starts at 9 over here in england

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I love it! Now I won't miss any of it. I was afraid of missing the draft because of a flag football league I'm in. Now I'll get back with ample time. I'll even be able to shower off my stink! Our games usually end around 1 or 2 EST so this makes me so happy!

TitanHope
03-09-2009, 09:54 AM
great so it starts at 9 over here in england

You're from England dude?!

So, we have you from England, OzTitan from Australia, aNYtitan from California via New York...are me and Voodoo the only ones from Tennessee? :(

tjsunstein
03-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Or, conversely, pre-game for the draft, lol.

It is going to kind of upsetting if all that morning and afternoon the top picks start getting leaked out....it's really going to be anti-climatic if/when the first 5 picks are known before teh draft even starts.

http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/12/27/inside1-guinness.jpg
GENIUS

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Read a book, take a walk, Find a girl... just some suggestions.

Scott Wright
03-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Just out of curiosity, I was kind of kicking an idea around in my head and would like to hear peoples thoughts on it.

If I were to put together some sort of live internet radio feed to give instant analysis during the draft, with some other draft site guys as guests, would you listen to it or just stick with the television broadcast.

fischbowl
03-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Just out of curiosity, I was kind of kicking an idea around in my head and would like to hear peoples thoughts on it.

If I were to put together some sort of live internet radio feed to give instant analysis during the draft, with some other draft site guys as guests, would you listen to it or just stick with the television broadcast.

Only if I'm a guest....and BOE.

I'll tune in, I usually just watch the draft with the mute on anyways

JRTPlaya21
03-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I'd tune in Scott and probably turn to NFLN since they are slightly entertaining.

keylime_5
03-09-2009, 10:42 AM

I'd probably listen to the radio and watch the tv at the same time

...(because I like to party)

bigbluedefense
03-09-2009, 10:43 AM
YESS!!!!

i work on saturday so this is music to my ears! now i just have to convince my boss to let us leave at 4 so i can get home by 5.

then id just miss like the first 8 picks or so.

bigbluedefense
03-09-2009, 10:46 AM

i think it would be a great business idea for you. you'll get listeners, and you'll get pub for your website.

i think its definitely worth a shot.

all you would be doing is thinking out loud anyway. im sure it would be easy for you.

Scott Wright
03-09-2009, 10:54 AM
i think it would be a great business idea for you. you'll get listeners, and you'll get pub for your website.

i think its definitely worth a shot.

all you would be doing is thinking out loud anyway. im sure it would be easy for you.

I actually thought of the idea during last year's draft when I was talking on the phone with Chris Steuber from Scout.com and we were basically just trying to predict each pick and then breaking them down.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I'd probably listen to the radio and watch the tv at the same time

...(because I like to party)

Talladega Nights is a great movie.

Modano
03-09-2009, 11:47 AM
10 pm in Italy. I guess I'll go bed late.

Halsey
03-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Do not like this at all. The NFL is messing with something that works in order to try to make more money. They slowly making too many changes that don't work, imo. Soon they'll have games for every night of the week during the season and they'll all be on NFL Network.....or maybe they'll go to pay-per-view. The Draft will soon be pay-per-view as well and picks will be made by fans texting in their vote.

steelernation77
03-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I actually thought of the idea during last year's draft when I was talking on the phone with Chris Steuber from Scout.com and we were basically just trying to predict each pick and then breaking them down.

I'd mute the TV and listen to you. I hate how, especially in the later rounds, ESPN just ignores the new picks altogether and continues to repeat the same things about the first 1-3 picks in the draft.

Brent
03-09-2009, 12:53 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/12/27/inside1-guinness.jpg
GENIUS
FAIL. They said "brilliant.' It's okay, TJ, we still like you.

As for this start time. I liked how it started early because I am a bit of a morning person. Oh well.

Mr.Regular
03-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Ill listen to Scott and the boys, especially on Day #2. For round 1, and maybe some of round 2 I like watching the TV broadcast, almost out of tradition, but they get stale fast. Plus they don't talk about the picks as they come in on Day 2. If you guys did that, it'd be a hit.
Plus I have to rely on the internet NFLN broadcast as I don't get ESPN or NFLN here in Canada.
So do it up Scott, Ill tune in, especially for Day 2!

ElectricEye
03-09-2009, 12:59 PM

That would be amazing. I would listen for sure. Don't think I would be the only one either.

derza222
03-09-2009, 01:05 PM
This is fantastic news for me. I've got my little sister's confirmation at 1 and was afraid I'd miss some of the draft, if it's starting at 4 I'll be able to catch the whole thing. Very clutch.

Brodeur
03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Yay, now I'll only miss about 2 hours or so because of work.

Brent
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Plus they don't talk about the picks as they come in on Day 2. If you guys did that, it'd be a hit.
I definitely agree with this. It bugs the hell out of me when there are picks going and they dont even talk about them, instead focusing on something that happened hours ago or the day before.

ElectricEye
03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah, a more complete analysis of the draft would be great.

UKfan
03-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Not good for me at all, the draft will start at 9pm here...

drowe
03-09-2009, 01:15 PM
meh. i liked it better when it started at noon et. i liked it as an all day event. ah well. i'm having a draft party. this will give me time to grill meats and prepare before the magic moment.

Flyboy
03-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Let's see.. that's like 1 PM PST. Yeah, I should be good for work that day. Still f'n sucks, though. Not a fan of the late start at ALL.

TitanHope
03-09-2009, 01:46 PM

I know I'd be listening, especially on the 2nd Day. A cool alternative would be a chat room involving you, maybe a featured guest, and some of the renown posters on DraftCountdown such as toonster and other Icons and Moderators. I know JBond does some radio appearances. You could always go into the Admin panel, create a new forum, and set the access masks so that only Mods and Admins can post in it and regular members can access it? That'd be a lot of trouble... Maybe just close the thread in the new forum, that way only Mods and Admins can post in it but any normal member can view it. Each person can have their own thread to post their thoughts. Plus, you could set it as a member only forum, that way if a visitor wants to view ya'lls thoughts, they'll have to register. If they register, maybe they'll decide to post in the other forums and traffic will increase. Just thinking outloud now...

slightlyaraiderfan
03-09-2009, 01:48 PM
I like it, I can get more sleep.

bored of education
03-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I like it, I can get more sleep.

sarf :o
hi sarf, lets watch it together or not :D

Flyboy
03-09-2009, 02:03 PM

That sounds fresh to death, Scott.

And, you guys need to back from sarf. We're gonna watch the draft together.

wicket
03-09-2009, 02:12 PM

I'd love it. On another note, I HATE the late start, c'mon it starts at 10, I wont be able to watch anything more than the first round.

furiousgod
03-09-2009, 02:51 PM
pvr is a beautiful thing =)

gpngc
03-09-2009, 03:04 PM
It started at 3 pm ET last year. How different is this? All it means is that it will go one hour later than what it would have.

We'll all be watching as soon was we wake up so all this move really does is add another hour to opening presents on Christmas.

And it's only the two rounds- it'll probably end at 10 pm as opposed to 9 pm. No big deal.

They'd leak the picks if the start time was 3 anyway. I would not be surprised one bit if every single pick from 1-6 was pretty much known thanks to the overzealous media prior to the start of the draft. What they don't realize is that part of the draft's appeal is the unpredictable nature of it and not knowing what's going to happen. Oh well.

DeathbyStat
03-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Good so i can watch the draft after the penn state blue and white game

holt_bruce81
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Now I can sleep a few extra hours!

Sleep feels soooooo good.

TheBuffaloBills
03-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Ugh, I am really allowed a day off once in a blue moon, so I decided to take it off on Draft day. I would've had to of worked from 9-5. So I really wouldn't have missed too much. I probably could have gotten out a little early too. Boo.

The Dynasty
03-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Ugh...I hated it last year when they moved it from 12 to 3 and now its even later. I guess it gives more time to prep and cook food for the draft but still I still wish it would go back to noon and 3 rounds.

BaLLiN
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
dislike it, itll probably take up most of the day, if it started at 12 itd prolly be done by at least 5, annoying

OzTitan
03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I like the move, because it means it starts 7am here in Aus (or maybe it's 9am? 15 or 17 hours ahead depending on day light saving situation). It used to be in the wee hours, and I'd never make it past the 1st round. Now I can sleep (yeah, right) and just wake up early ;)

WMD
03-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Bah. Just keep it at Noon. Part of the fun was being half asleep for the first few picks.

thetedginnshow
03-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh man. Maybe I can go to the Spring Game and make the draft after all.

BeerBaron
03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Bah. Just keep it at Noon. Part of the fun was being half asleep for the first few picks.

There were more than a few years where I'd wake up around 11:30, hork down some lunch/breakfast and be ready for the draft, lol. I miss that.....

Dark Knight01
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
That late of a start is stupid......

Dark Knight01
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM

^^^Exactly!

CashmoneyDrew
03-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Sounds good to me! Now I get to sleep in before leavin' to hunt down Voodoo, Staubach12, and RCAChainGaing in Nashville.

They can't dodge my calls forever... :cool:

Sir. This statement is ludicrous. If you called me, I'd JIZZ IN MY PANTS!

You're from England dude?!

So, we have you from England, OzTitan from Australia, aNYtitan from California via New York...are me and Voodoo the only ones from Tennessee? :(

I believe Smitty and Pitbull are tennesseans as well. Don't forget Islandboy either. He's in South Carolina I believe.

jetvilma51
03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Damn, this sucks. this is just four more hours of waiting on line to get in. maybe at least i can set my alarm to possibly 3 a.m. now lol

ATLDirtyBirds
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Not a fan.

PACKmanN
03-09-2009, 08:47 PM
ok this is a question for Canadians, every year we watch TSN screw us over after about 5 picks and take the draft off, does it change this year?

Smokey Joe
03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I still would prefer the draft schedule to be:

Friday Night (around 7 est.) - 1st Round
Saturday Afternoon (around 2 est.) - 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Round
Sundary Morning (around 11 est.) - 5th, 6th, and 7th Round, as well as plenty of time for UDFA signings!

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Man, this is weak...I liked the early start around 11 or noon, waking up out the bed and rolling over to grab a beer was the best part of the draft, pushing it back makes the day take TOO long...I remember last year I was just pacing around the house waiting for it to start, it's going to be even worse this year.

ThePudge
03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I still would prefer the draft schedule to be:

Friday Night (around 7 est.) - 1st Round
Saturday Afternoon (around 2 est.) - 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Round
Sundary Morning (around 11 est.) - 5th, 6th, and 7th Round, as well as plenty of time for UDFA signings!

Naaa, that's no good, I'd have to get a hotel for two nights. I think you'd see New York fans population rise and other fans decide against making the expensive trip to New York City.

I have enjoyed both systems they used and this year should allow for more time for me in transportation, checking into the hotel, and getting some food beforehand. I thought 3 PM was nice, 4 could be excessive, but hey, it's an extra hour of sleep or extra hour of analysis.

I must admit though, I preferred the first day including the 3rd Round as well and with shorter rounds now. I'd rather the day started at 2 and included the third, making it last until around 10:00-11:00 PM. The Second Day could start at Noon and conclude by 5 or 6. That's the world I one day want to live in.

Hollywood
03-09-2009, 09:35 PM
This is a travesty. The draft is a Saturday morning/all day tradition for me and always has been, this 4 PM start is horrible. A travesty with epic proportions. I hate Roger Goodell.

M.O.T.H.
03-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree with what would seem like the majority, back to 12 please.

thebow305
03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Seriously!

I liked making the picks shorter but changing the round days and start times is pretty lame.

Totally agree. It's good for the teams I guess, sucks for the fans though!

BaLLiN
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
they changed the round days?

its not 1-2 day 1 then the rest day 2? WTF?

jballa838
03-09-2009, 09:55 PM

I can almost here it now from some awful gm,
"Who the hell is Scott Wright?"
and then the legacy begins.

ThePudge
03-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Totally agree. It's good for the teams I guess, sucks for the fans though!

It's good for the fans that are going to the draft. If I were staying at home though, I'd prefer the earlier start time though.

PACKmanN
03-09-2009, 10:00 PM

zomg Scott do it!!!!! and have the live feed of them calling out each pick. The Canadian people will thank you :)

Hollywood
03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
There were more than a few years where I'd wake up around 11:30, hork down some lunch/breakfast and be ready for the draft, lol. I miss that.....

That's what I am talking about man.

TheBuffaloBills
03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
zomg Scott do it!!!!! and have the live feed of them calling out each pick. The Canadian people will thank you :)

Oh please Scott, that would be awesome.

CashmoneyDrew
03-09-2009, 10:48 PM
We should all petition Goodell to change the draft back to the way it was under Tagliabue. Minus the 15 minutes to 10 minutes however. We must nip these shenanigans in the bud!

Hollywood
03-09-2009, 11:45 PM
We should all petition Goodell to change the draft back to the way it was under Tagliabue. Minus the 15 minutes to 10 minutes however. We must nip these shenanigans in the bud!

Bah, Goodell is a communist dictator who will just move the draft to 6 AM Sunday to piss us off if we petition...

03-10-2009, 12:07 AM
ok this is a question for Canadians, every year we watch TSN screw us over after about 5 picks and take the draft off, does it change this year?

Probably not. Stanley Cup Playoffs always interfere. You really need NFL Network man. It's free on Rogers.

OneToughGame
03-10-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm fine with the time. It'll be 1pm here when it happens :)

initial_flo
03-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Love it, I can sleep in and still have time to drink a twelve pack with friends and then go out to the bar and watch it. I don't really see the downside besides the tradition or whatever...

thebow305
03-10-2009, 12:46 AM
What time was the draft last year? It was Noon correct?

yourfavestoner
03-10-2009, 01:47 AM
I like it. The past couple years I've been hung over as **** on draft day and waking up early in the morning has sucked.

niel89
03-10-2009, 02:58 AM

id really be interested in this if you had it for the second day. to be honest, on the first day last year i was flipping between the NFLN and ESPN radio feeds they were projecting at the draft and i was overloaded just from those. on the the later picks though i would love to have this, they gave little analysis to they guys as they were announced.

Dark Knight01
03-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Moreover, the time limits for day one selections were reduced, from 15 minutes to 10 for first-round picks and from 10 minutes to 7 in the second. The limit remained five minutes for all picks in rounds three through seven.

This was a long overdue change and thank god they finally made it last year.

15 minutes between picks was ASININE!