PDA

View Full Version : Jamall Lee - RB

Wootylicous
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
He recently runs a 4.39 forty with a 44 inches vertical jump at 6'1 and weighed in at 225 and did 19 reps. With the poor class of RBs this year I could see some teams take a look at him. He could be a beast!

I can dream right ? :D

thenewfeature06
03-09-2009, 11:28 AM
He recently runs a 4.39 forty with a 44 inches vertical jump at 6'1 and weighed in at 225 and did 19 reps. With the poor class of RBs this year I could see some teams take a look at him. He could be a beast!

I can dream right ? :D

Poor class?
Maybe not in terms of talent at the top..but there is depth

mat33
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
He also had an impressive 10'275 foot broad jump. I've never seen him play, but I saw his numbers at the CFL combine. His Vertical and 40, are CFL combine records.

energizerbunny
03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
another Canadian without wiggle, his numbers are insane though but he is not the prospect you think he is. Just watch his youtube tapes.

Legend234
03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I have some idea of his ability as a football player from what I have heard and seen on you tube. At this point he is a better athlete than a football player. He is not shifty in open field. My pro comparison for him would be Darren McFadden only he lacks the explosive burst of McFadden. He seems to build speed kind of slowly. Even the video of his 40 didn't really look all that explosive. That being said, he is powerfull, fast, and has the production to back up the measurables.

TACKLE
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Jamall went to my highschool. Terry Fox represent.

Jamall is a physical freak. Even I'm blown away by those numbers. He is one of the most successful RB's in CIS history. He was the single driving force in the turn around of the Bishops program. For those of you who question his ability, he was offered a full ride to the Oregon Ducks but due to paper work reasons that had to do with being an international student, he never ended up at Oregon even though he had the opportunity. Also, for those of you who question his speed based on the Youtube clips, remember that a Canadian field is 10 yards longer and about 10 yards wider so it looks like he is running slower because he is covering more ground. If he was in the NFL combine, at 6'0 221, he would of had the fastest forty (4.39), best vert (44 inches) of all the RB's. With his production and physical tools, I don't see why a team wouldn't take a flyer on him with a late round pick or at least bring him in as a UDFA.

NMUBurner22
03-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I youtubed him...hes not a good running back..very stiff...doesnt show vision or instincts....He isnt 4.39 fast with pads....not strong..goes down on the first hit...

Hes a free agent type at best.

PACKmanN
03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
If that one Canadian running back couldn't make it last year then I doubt Lee can.

iBoldin
03-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Jamall went to my highschool. Terry Fox represent.

You go to Terry Fox? Haha, I never knew anyone was here from BC. I go to Mission Secondary. Small World.

Brent
03-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I youtubed him...hes not a good running back..very stiff...doesnt show vision or instincts....He isnt 4.39 fast with pads....not strong..goes down on the first hit...

Hes a free agent type at best.
Certainly not as good as you are...

critesy
03-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Certainly not as good as you are...

haha boom roasted.

but seriously, only reason jesse lumsden (that another canadian people forget about) didnt make it, is cause he ran too tall and got hurt every 2nd play.

this kid is better and will get a chance.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-10-2009, 09:03 AM
I saw his youtube clips, he's an okay back but he leaves a ton of yardage on the field. Cuts back okay, but doesn't juke very well. Needs to be more physical, you can definitely see the speed.

Hard to evaluate him because Canadian collegiate football is somewhere between D1AA and D2 football.

He'll be given a shot in someone's camp to earn his bones, if he's any good Lee will make someone's practice squad.

6'1, 225 pound RBs who run sub 4.45 are so rare to find, hope he pans out.

Brent
03-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Didnt someone write a post on here or link to an article about CFL players getting blackballed by the NFL? This might have been before the last draft.

Sigmund Bloom
03-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Saw him at Texas Vs The Nation practices, have to agree with the down views. Didn't show nearly that kind of speed consistently. Every now and then, like in a pass route, he could surprise you, but he seemed overwhelmed when he ran the ball - no creativity or wiggle - agree with above posters who've said that.

TACKLE
03-20-2009, 02:22 PM
A good article of Jamall. Apparently two NFL teams are interested.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/2009/03/13/jamall_lee_nfl_scouts

Mr. Hero
03-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't think I've ever read a thread with so many people making assumptions off youtube "tapes." Would not mind it at all if the gmen picked him up to compete with Danny Ware and be polished into our third back down the line.

TACKLE
03-20-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't think I've ever read a thread with so many people making assumptions off youtube "tapes." Would not mind it at all if the gmen picked him up to compete with Danny Ware and be polished into our third back down the line.

With his H-W-S, he could definitely make a contribution on special teams right away and could compete to be to be in the RB rotation.

Mr. Hero
03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
With his H-W-S, he could definitely make a contribution on special teams right away and could compete to be to be in the RB rotation.

That's what I was thinking, granted I may have seen him run only once, but he seems like a good project is he's got a good head on his shoulders and that's all we need at RB, someone who'll compete with Ware, can play some special teams and will work hard to improve so that in time he can become our third runner after Jacobs, the mighty midget and Ware.

03-20-2009, 02:55 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Giants were one of the teams interested in him as an undrafted free agent. Their track record with small school RBs over the last decade or so is worth noting and he would be a great guy to develop on the practice squad or even through playing ST. His athleticism is right up there with any eligible RB in this draft, easily.

Mr. Hero
03-20-2009, 03:27 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Giants were one of the teams interested in him as an undrafted free agent. Their track record with small school RBs over the last decade or so is worth noting and he would be a great guy to develop on the practice squad or even through playing ST. His athleticism is right up there with any eligible RB in this draft, easily.

It really is impressive how good coughlin's been for us in terms of finding young unknowns and teaching them to be productive runners. Under coughlin we've brought Jacobs, Bradshaw, Ward and Ryan Grant in the league. And Danny Ware looks like he'll be next on that list. This is without even getting into the vast improvements to tiki barber's game that transpired under coughlin's tenure.

nobodyinparticular
03-20-2009, 03:42 PM
another Canadian without wiggle, his numbers are insane though but he is not the prospect you think he is. Just watch his youtube tapes.

Justin Fargas doesn't have wiggle, but he's still a useful NFL running back. Someone like Lee should at least get a look from teams.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-20-2009, 04:26 PM
MR. HEro, I'd argue that RBs aren't developed at the pro level so much as they're instructed on how to follow blocking, how to protect the ball from defenders, how to be more efficient in their running and not "dance" in the hole, those rudimentary elements of being a solid RB.

But the RB position more than any other on a football team requires God-given instincts to be an effective runner. That and the vision to recognize cutback and running lanes, the ability to make a defender miss, or a knack for being able to lower one's shoulder and put a would be tackler on his butt.

Jacobs, Ware, Bradshaw and Ryan were all proven effective runners in D1A, but all had specific question marks about their ability to be good NFL ball carriers.
Of the RBs you listed, either people thought they were too slow for the NFL, too small, or too tall, but they all had previously shown they could carry the rock for major yards.

For a guy with elite measurables like Jamall Lee who played against sub-par collegiate competition in Canada, you would expect him to pop and flash his talents more on film.

Consider that Lee and Adrian Peterson are virtually identical RBs from an athletic standpoint, but there's a huge gap between them when you look at the film.
Personally, I'd bring Lee into camp and hope he makes the roster, it could be that he'll develop once he spends time playing against better competition, similar to Christian Okoye who didn't grow up playing American football.

But even Okoye had basic RB instincts, that innate ability to recognize seams in the defense, find open space and run for daylight.

Jamall's average production playing college football in Canada is a huge question mark for me about his long term potential, but his measurables alone have earned him a long look in the NFL.

Mr. Hero
03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Jacobs vision was atrocious prior to this season, he sought out to hit people and push piles but this season he's shown much improved patience and decision making. The staff has clearly made Brandon Jacobs into a running back instead of a fast fullback like he was when he got here. Granted you need pure talent, but instincts can be developed and adjustments can make a runner much more fluid and natural. Often times what we call natural instincts are simply instincts that where developed at a young age, and while runners who show them are far more likely to succeed than runners who don't, that's not to say they can't be developed with patience and gifted teachers.

TACKLE
03-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Jamall's average production playing college football in Canada is a huge question mark for me about his long term potential, but his measurables alone have earned him a long look in the NFL.

Average production? He's lead the CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sport) in rushing for the past two years. He's forth all time in CIS and he still had one more year of eligibility left. He had 1464 yards (209 ypg) as a junior and 1202 (171 ypg) as a senior. Know that in CIS, it is only a 7 games schedule which makes it even more impressive. He ran for 391 yards in one game this season. Also his team isn't that great and he's carries them on his back every week.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up, TACKLE.

I assumed they were playing a 10+ game schedule up north.

TACKLE
03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Check the front page of http://www.nfl.com

I hope I'm not breaking any rules.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I wonder how many of those guys make the NFL.

If a team devotes the needed resources to scout all of North America, there's a lot of talented football players at every level of competition.

Mr. Hero
03-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Check the front page of http://www.nfl.com

I hope I'm not breaking any rules.

Jason Williams is another really good sleeper, great athlete who's physical and likes to attack.

Sloopy
03-20-2009, 11:44 PM
From what I saw he wasn't elusive enough to be considered a true speedster and runs way to upright to be a power runner, I don't put a lot into 40 times as alot of it has to do with form for running a forty (skills one wouldn't apply when running down the field) hence game speed vs. timed speed and from what I saw his game speed wasn't that good... in the end slow and upright tall guy equals major punishment he'd get cleaned out high and low and his lack of speed makes him an easy target... then again canucks can take a beating I mean look at hockey.

Mr. Hero
03-20-2009, 11:49 PM
From what I saw he wasn't elusive enough to be considered a true speedster and runs way to upright to be a power runner, I don't put a lot into 40 times as alot of it has to do with form for running a forty (skills one wouldn't apply when running down the field) hence game speed vs. timed speed and from what I saw his game speed wasn't that good... in the end slow and upright tall guy equals major punishment he'd get cleaned out high and low and his lack of speed makes him an easy target... then again canucks can take a beating I mean look at hockey.

Brandon Jacobs ran completely upright before our coaches got their hands on him for a few seasons. AD also runs very upright, that's a concern but a manageable one. Calling him slow seems excessive as well. i'm no expert but from the one game of his I saw this season he had a legit second gear which let him really take advantage of the wider canadian fields.

Sloopy
03-21-2009, 12:12 AM
AD is more elusive than extinct species and Jacobs is bigger than some of the linebackers out there so he can get away with it (plus he has some wiggle) also I'm basing my analysis of slow off of video I saw maybe he was having a slow day but from what I saw a hard hitting safety or fleet footed backer would clean him out and I know that if I saw a slow guy standing up like that there would only be one thought in my head: should i take him out high and knock the piss out of him or hit him low and mess him up for the rest of the game... either way I'd leave him looking different and as you pointed out he took advantage of the wider field. He isn't slow like linemen slow and he is faster than some backs but he isn't fast enough or elusive enough for the style to which he runs.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-21-2009, 01:59 AM
From what I've seen and read, he's a glider, like Eric Dickerson and Robert Smith, who because of their height don't look like they're running as fast as they are.

I'll agree the 40 time isn't the last word on a player's game speed, but in general there is a strong correlation between the two.

Meaning that fast guys on the field usually run a faster 40 time than those who look slower on film.
I don't have any questions about his speed, my problems are that Jamall Lee needs to run stronger, with better instincts, and get better at making people miss.

RedVision
03-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up, TACKLE.

I assumed they were playing a 10+ game schedule up north.

It's actually 7-games regular season in the Quebec conference, and he played for some terrible Bishop teams. Nowhere near the talent of the Laval, Montreal and Concordia.

rvns
03-23-2009, 01:50 AM
heyy nice i go to terry fox too, i never got to play with jamall but i have tried to follow his college career as best as i could.