PDA

View Full Version : 3/9 - Mock Draft Updated!

Scott Wright
03-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I am happy to announce that the updated mock draft is now live.

I apologize for the long delay between updates but since it's basically a two full day project and it just wouldn't have made sense to put one out any sooner because teams needs were, and in some cases still are, changing on a daily basis.

As always discussion and constructive criticism are welcomed but please be sure to state the reasons behind your opinions. Let's try to keep this thread informative!

So without further adieu, here it is:

http://www.draftcountdown.com

Note: If each page isn't dated "March 9" at the top you will need to refresh your broswer.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Maybin is too high after his combine performance, IMO.

I also think you're underestimating who Stafford's agent is. I can't see the Lions selecting a player they don't have a deal with before the draft.

As for the Bears - I like Oher, but DHB makes sense and it would probably be the pick.

Geo
03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Derrick Williams needs to run 4.45 or better at his pro day, which I believe is next week, for that to happen.

hockey619
03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Nice work Scott. Great stuff keep it coming.

I still think that the Raiders would take Crabtree in the scenario in your mock. I think his ability to catch rockets from Russell and go up and get jump balls and contested passes would help Russell more than Maclin.

Dont know if Davis will agree but just how I see it.

Matthew Jones
03-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Looks really good from what I saw, some interesting picks. Luckily I was able to type up my own two-round mock before you so it didn't look like I stole any of your picks. =P

I am happy with the Patriots draft. As I said in the other one, I would prefer all-defense (Jarron Gilbert to Brian Robiskie), but Brian is one of my favorite wide receiver prospects and I would still be happy with three out of four. Great work!

03-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I'll have to wait 'til Missouri's second pro day (Mar.19) before I can get a better feel for where Maclin's true value stands. If he can somehow crack a sub 4.4 time it will then make him a legit possibility to Oakland. Scott, you just may be ahead of the curve here ...

holt_bruce81
03-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Nice Rams draft baby!!

I don't understand why you have Pat White going in round 2. Haven't you been saying the guy is overrated and is more of a 4th-5th round pick?

Don Vito
03-09-2009, 03:17 PM
That is one of the best Pats mocks I have seen this year. You hit our top 3 positions of need (CB, S, LB) with some of my favorite prosects at those positions (Byrd, Delmas, and Sintim). I especailly love the Jairus Byrd pick, he is one of my favorite prospects this year.

The focus has to be on defense, and as ROP said I would love all 4 picks to be one defense but now we have a need for another receiver and Robiskie would be a great addition.

keylime_5
03-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree 100% with you on how you think the top 6 picks will unfold. I have Crabtree and Maclin flipflopped from how you have them going though, and I think Green Bay goes with Raji over Brown personally. Good job on the mockage though, I can see anything you said there happening.

I don't see Cleveland taking a tight end though despite them looking at Cook. They'll probably look for LBs, RBs, Cs, Ss, WRs, and CBs before they consider a TE.

cdf_2108
03-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I agree that Malcolm Jenkins could slip to New Orleans at 14, but I find it inconceivable given his impressive combine (moreso than Jenkins), higher potential that Vontae Davis slips past the Patriots at 23. You can make a case for 16-20 passing, but Philadelphia isn't gonna pass up that kind of value even though they have Sheldon Brown and Asante Samuel on board, besides.

But i'll give you that Philadelphia could feasibly pass but Minnesota is going to pass on a Top 10 talent that is also a need for in favor of reaching for Eben Britton? T

And then Clint Sintim? He'll definitely be available at 33 unless the NYG take him and he might even be available at our San Diego Pick at 49.

Then he slips Atlanta and Miami who also have serious secondary problems as seen by their embarassing playoff losses. Miami made Derek Mason look 10 years younger. Thank god Anquan Boldin got injured in that Atlanta game or else they might have had to exercise the mercy rule.

You obviously know more about this stuff than me, but I just find this baffling and would be curious to hear the reasoning behind it because there must be something I don't know about Vontae Davis. I get the whole character, immaturity thing, but late 1st round with those teams ahead who are practically salivating for a young shutdown corner

Scott Wright
03-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't understand why you have Pat White going in round 2. Haven't you been saying the guy is overrated and is more of a 4th-5th round pick?

These mocks are indicative of what I would do, but rather what I think will happen.

Canadian_draft_fan
03-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Good job, Scott! For the Skins Tyson Jackson is a possibility but personally I would prefer Oher.

Scott Wright
I'll have to wait 'til Missouri's second pro day (Mar.19) before I can get a better feel for where Maclin's true value stands. If he can somehow crack a sub 4.4 time it will then make him a legit possibility to Oakland. Scott, you just may be ahead of the curve here ...

I promise you Maclin will crack 4.4 at his Pro Day. Maybe even low-4.3

keylime_5
Maybin is too high after his combine performance, IMO.

I also think you're underestimating who Stafford's agent is. I can't see the Lions selecting a player they don't have a deal with before the draft.

As for the Bears - I like Oher, but DHB makes sense and it would probably be the pick.

Good point about Stafford, but I think they'll take him anyway personally. Maybin sounds like he's viewed as a top 15 pick by most teams despite us draftnik's souring on him, and Buffalo is a real good fit.

holt_bruce81
03-09-2009, 03:22 PM
These mocks are indicative of what I would do, but rather what I think will happen.

Ah, that makes sense.

As for you having Maclin being the 1st Receiver taken, just brilliant! Maybe 5 spots higher? ;)

Abaddon
03-09-2009, 03:22 PM
If the Raiders' first day ended like that, I would become physically ill.

I just can't get behind Maclin as a top 10 pick. It very well could happen, but it really, really shouldn't. To think we would pass up Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, but view a glorified kick returner as "too good to pass up"...that would just be unforgivable.

The Michael Johnson pick goes without saying. I wouldn't touch that guy before the 5th round, and as luck would have it, Oakland has no 5th round pick.

Raji/Beatty, Raji/Unger, or Raji/Robiskie would make more sense for the Raiders and provide immediate help at need positions. Honestly, I'd go Raji/Hood before considering a Maclin/Johnson draft. Tommy Kelly isn't a very good DT and would be more comfortable outside where he could at least provide some run defense.

Halsey
03-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Doesn't Stafford have the same agent as Matt Ryan? The same Matt Ryan who was signed less than a month after the draft and never missed any sort of team function? What's wrong with Stafford's agent?

T-RICH49
03-09-2009, 03:24 PM
I love the Chiefs pick.I also agree things seem to be falling into place for Curry to land in KC

regoob2
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I love the Bears picks.

SaintsMan
03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
It sucks that we just missed out on BJ Raji but I would be very, very happy with Malcolm Jenkins who would probably play FS for us.

Starting lineup would be:

LCB, Jabari Greer
FS, Malcolm Jenkins
SS, Roman Harper
RCB, Tracy Porter

Go_Eagles77
03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Pretty good eagles mock, but Knowshon Moreno would be a much better fit in the eagles' offense than Beanie Wells.

03-09-2009, 03:30 PM
I promise you Maclin will crack 4.4 at his Pro Day. Maybe even low-4.3

I can see it. He was a bit dinged up at the combine I believe too.

Flyboy
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm not buying the whole Maclin before Crabtree thing, but other than that.. props for sure.

Malcolm Jenkins at 14 would be a steal imo.

Halsey
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Pretty good eagles mock, but Knowshon Moreno would be a much better fit in the eagles' offense than Beanie Wells.

The rationale for Beanie is that he brings something very different from Westbrook instead of a RB who is similar in many ways.

Hines
03-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I love you Scott. Perfect Steelers draft.

princefielder28
Everette Brown is a nice choice for the 3-4 defense and Beatty is a great value choice and future player for Green Bay

brat316
I can't believe the run is over for the U, no players selected in the first round this year. Only if one of the Rb came out

BlueBandit24
03-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Very solid Vikings picks. I might prefer Alphonso Smith in the 1st and an RT in the 2nd but that's nitpicking as I would be very happy if the draft played out that way. Great read!

keylime_5
03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
The rationale for Beanie is that he brings something very different from Westbrook instead of a RB who is similar in many ways.

They've been searching for a big back for years and have never found one. He would compliment Westbrook well, and when the time comes in the near future to replace Westbrook they can go out and get a smaller, receiver of a back to replace him and compliment Beanie - who would become the feature back.

TimD
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
i think you may be right on with the Jets pick. its starting to look like they will take Harvin.

thetedginnshow
03-09-2009, 03:57 PM
i think you may be right on with the Jets pick. its starting to look like they will take Harvin.

What makes you say that?

Go_Eagles77
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
They've been searching for a big back for years and have never found one. He would compliment Westbrook well, and when the time comes in the near future to replace Westbrook they can go out and get a smaller, receiver of a back to replace him and compliment Beanie - who would become the feature back.
I can definitely see where you guys are coming from, but Beanie would not be a good fit in our offense. Our feature back only gets 15-20 carries a game as it is, and Beanie isn't a great receiver. We do need a big back, but more like a Quinn Jonson type who could get 3-4 carries a game in goal line/ short yardage situations. Westbrook will only be around for a couple more years, and Knowshon would be the perfect replacement. Heck I would prefer McCoy to Wells right now. Unless of course Reid gets fired and we become a run-oriented team, than Beanie might be my choice.

PACKmanN
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Scott, I don't like the Brown pick over Raji. A NT's value>>>>>OLB's value.

bored of education
03-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Curry, is good...i guess :)

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2009, 04:10 PM
No way Gilbert last to the end of the 2nd, surprised Scott still had him so low...Thank god we didn't get Chung, Johnson is a much better fit and I think he can be really good.

drowe
03-09-2009, 04:12 PM
IMO, the best mock i've read on here, and i've been a member for 4+ years and have been going to the site longer than that. very insightful and some really good reasoning.

good packers mock too. i'd be pleased.

spencer61
03-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Connor Barwin was rising toward the first round and.....??????

coordinator0
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I would love me some Vontae Davis to Baltimore in the first. Ingram is a pretty good pick in the second too, but an OT or a 3-4 DE would be great as well. Nice mock.

Xonraider
03-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Scott, with all due respect, you're crazy.

The Oakland Raiders fans referring to you picking Maclin over Crabtree.

How ever Michael Johnson is awesome... I just hope he is decent against the run

rockio42
03-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Jason Smith and Kenny Britt is beautiful...but I would rather have Curry over Smith

Breaker
03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
No way the Texans would take Cushing if the steroids rumor are true. The Texans thrive on taking players that are good character guys, honest and all that junk. I honestly would rather Sintim or English(as DE) over Cushing anyways.

RaiderNation
03-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I really doubt after running a 4.4 at the combine that Al would take Maclin

cdf_2108
03-09-2009, 04:43 PM
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, Vontae Davis at 26? Slips past New England, Minnesota, Atlanta, and Miami???

Clint Sintim a HUGE reach at 23...Wouldn't be surprised if he's available at 47 or even 57!

Paul
03-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I like the Rashad Johnson pick. At this point I would definitely address safety before WR or NT.

d34ng3l021
03-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Same thing I said in the other locked thread:

I got around to looking at the mock. Great job, once again. Some Falcon comments/questions.

1. Do you really think Larry English could be a 4-3 OLB at 274 lbs? I don't think that will happen. What do you think of him as a 4-3 DE though? He looks like the type of guy that could be a 10+ sack player and the guy who can get pressure on the QB alongside Abraham.

2. Patrick Chung in the 2nd as our replacement for Milloy is great.

Larry
03-09-2009, 04:47 PM
The Niners aren't taking Sanchez at 10. Shaun Hill, Alex Smith and Damon Huard will be the three Qb's. Yes they pursued Kurt Warner, but they only did it to push up the price for the Cardinals.

DiG
03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Personally I dont like the Jackson fit in Washington at all. He isn't going to be able to generate the kind of pass rush we need. Signs point to the skins likely signing Phillip Daniels and Wynn this week at DE. If we did draft a DE in the first then I would much prefer Larry English to Jackson. A trade down would be ideal in the hopes of getting English, Sintim, Mathews, or Ayers then an offensive lineman with a pick that we pick up from a trade but if we had to stick at 13 then i think id prefer oher or cushing over jackson for sure.

thetedginnshow
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Haha. I just noticed you and Charles Davis have virtually the same top ten (and he got some pointers about Crabtree, so Maclin and Crabtree will probably switch for him next time).

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Scott I knew I could depend on you to change that bad DE pick in the first for the Bears. WR and OT are the Bears two top needs so you nailed it. DHB and Duke Robinson fits our needs perfectly and would be an outstanding draft for us. GOOD JOB!

bernbabybern820
03-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I can't see how the Raiders can pass on one of the "big 3" centers in the second round. Jake Grove left and we are left with John friggin Wade as our starter with no adequate free agent centers.

MidwayMonster31
03-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Overall pretty good job. Personally, I would prefer Paul Kruger or Rashad Johnson over Duke Robinson, but I'm not complaining.

OzTitan
03-09-2009, 05:32 PM
"You have to question the wisdom of signing a competitors #3 wideout and expecting him to be your go-to-guy"

I think Washington is more of just an injection of speed and deep ability. I seriously doubt it influences round 1 too much.

Oaktown1981
03-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't see the Raiders passing on Crabtree he is the best WR in the draft..

Really don't like the M.Johnson pick he isn't someone who can play the run.. Raiders found a pretty good player in Trevor Scott last year..

OL is a need in round 2 either OC or OT IMO Max Unger would of been an ideal pick.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-09-2009, 05:45 PM
If a team drafts Maclin over Crabtree I will be in absolute awe. I can't even picture Al Davis doing that and I'm very high on Maclin.

Dark Knight01
03-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I will be VERY disappointed if the old man Al picks a slot track guy WR like Maclin ahead of an overall better football player in Crabtree because of the OVER RATED 40 time.

nepg
03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I think Sintim's good, but your reasoning has never helped any of Groh's former players get into Pats' uniforms. Only Kai Parham was even brought to camp. They passed on Blackstock and Brooks multiple times each... The only guy that's lasted past training camp with the Pats was kicked off UVA (Vince Redd).

Also, I don't think LB is a huge need on top of believing there are better options at LB than Sintim for the Pats. Adalius Thomas showed that he's best-used as an ILB in Belichick's 3-4 base, so ILB isn't an issue (Thomas could play for them for 3+ years at a high level) and at OLB, they brought back TBC and are very high on Woods (whom they seem to be touting as their main dude now) and Crable...

I think they'll go LB at some point, but with Vontae Davis on the board (easily the most talented corner in the draft), Sintim is a silly pick. I also don't like the Delmas pick...I don't think his rise up the draft boards is justified. Duke Robinson would have been a great pick for the Pats there (can start immediately at LG, RG, or RT), passing on a corner like Darius Butler (if you're not taking Davis at 23) is also silly.

I do like the Jairus Byrd pick, but that wouldn't even be much of an option if the other picks were better choices.

I'm also in the "Jarron Gilbert falling to the end of the 2nd is ridiculous" club.
________
Washington Marijuana Dispensaries (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

Menardo75
03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I like how he makes it sound like Sanchez to the Niners is destiny and a mortal lock. Oh well about what I expected.

OneToughGame
03-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I personally don't like Ayers to the Seahawks in round 2 at all. Seahawks went OT (in your mock) so now they need to go S and get Brian Russell out of the starting lineup ASAP.

Chris
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Great scenario for the Broncos there. Do you think Hood is a legitimate 3-4 defensive end though? I hope so. Still some nice players on board, but those picks are definitely sexy. Good work, Scott.

wicket
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I dont like tweeners usually but jenkins at 14 is good enough value to validate the pick although I would still like us to trade down.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-09-2009, 06:00 PM
thank you Nepg although I kind of like Selmas. I also find it kind of racist that everyone says he's the next Bob Sanders just because he has dreadlocks and plays the same position...don't forget, all safeties are supposed to be good hitters so just cuz he hits hard doesn't mean he's bob sanders. they do kind of look alike in the face though.

How is that racist at all?

Bigburt63
03-09-2009, 06:06 PM
I think Sintim's good, but your reasoning has never helped any of Groh's former players get into Pats' uniforms. Only Kai Parham was even brought to camp. They passed on Blackstock and Brooks multiple times each... The only guy that's lasted past training camp with the Pats was kicked off UVA (Vince Redd).

Also, I don't think LB is a huge need on top of believing there are better options at LB than Sintim for the Pats. Adalius Thomas showed that he's best-used as an ILB in Belichick's 3-4 base, so ILB isn't an issue (Thomas could play for them for 3+ years at a high level) and at OLB, they brought back TBC and are very high on Woods (whom they seem to be touting as their main dude now) and Crable...

I think they'll go LB at some point, but with Vontae Davis on the board (easily the most talented corner in the draft), Sintim is a silly pick. I also don't like the Delmas pick...I don't think his rise up the draft boards is justified. Duke Robinson would have been a great pick for the Pats there (can start immediately at LG, RG, or RT), passing on a corner like Darius Butler (if you're not taking Davis at 23) is also silly.

I do like the Jairus Byrd pick, but that wouldn't even be much of an option if the other picks were better choices.

I'm also in the "Jarron Gilbert falling to the end of the 2nd is ridiculous" club.

I could not disagree more. TBC was only ok when he was here last. Woods is good, but not great. Crable, although I really like him, is somewhat of an unknown, as is Vince Redd. Thomas could be used inside, I agree, but he doesn't have to be moved there. If we were to bring in a guy like Sintim (who I love as a prospect) then he could be moved inside, making our LB corps look something like Sintim, Thomas, Mayo, Crable/Woods/Redd with Guyton and Bruschi also on the inside.

I would be pissed if the pats drafted Davis in round 1. Corner is not our most pressing need, and if we took a corner in round 1 I would want it to be Alphonso Smith. Davis is not a patriot type of prospect (poor work ethic, attitude, etc.) As for Delmas, although his stock rising may not be merited, is where he will probably be drafted, and he is the type of prospect the patriots target (for all the oposite reasons of Davis). Byrd is a great pick, IMO, and he can step in an contribute right away.

As for Robinson, he could be a good pickup, but we dont need him to start at LG (we have Mankins), but he could push Neal for time at RG, but it's not a top need, nor do I see him pushing Kazcur for time.

Robiskie is a great pick, and although most patriots fans might not agree, WR is a pretty big need. Other than Moss and Welker, we have...Greg Lewis, Sam Aiken, and Matthew Slater.

CashmoneyDrew
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Nice job Scott. I see me and TitanHope are finally beginning to wear you down with the D.J. Moore love just like we did with Robert Ayers.

corbi328
03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Pretty good mock Scott. As a Bears fan I would not complain with this outcome but would frankly prefer Kenny Britt and Sean Smith. By the way, Sean Smith is way too low. The guy is going to be a first round pick and future all pro. I would be happy if my Bears picked him up in the mid twenties in a trade down scenario with New England. Smith would be an all pro free safety for us.

Flyboy
03-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I dont like tweeners usually but jenkins at 14 is good enough value to validate the pick although we are in general a team that trades down more than up

Yeah, that's not true at all with recent history.

Bengals78
03-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Excellent Bengals draft. I would cry tears of extreme joy if that happens.

49ersfan_87
03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I like how he makes it sound like Sanchez to the Niners is destiny and a mortal lock. Oh well about what I expected.

There's always one teams fans that Scott seems to get into arguements with each year. It was the bills in 07, falcons in 08, and the 49ers in 09 hehe.

thebow305
03-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Nice job on the two rounder Scott.

I would be pretty happy with that Phins mock. Still not loving Clay Matthews as a first round pick, but Butler and White are very nice picks IMO. Not every Phins fan will love that Pat White pick, but I certainly do! I would prefer Sean Smith to Darius Butler but I would not be upset with either as I like Butler very much as well.

Just a few things though: You're love for Tyson Jackson and Aaron Maybin continues to baffle me, as does your hate for Michael Oher and Sean Smith. I don't know how you justify Moore AND Alphonso Smith both going over a productive, 6'3" 217 lb corner with fluid hips and 4.49 speed. He was one of the faster corners at the combine and combined with his speed and production, I have NO CLUE why everyone is so late to the party, but I certainly hope it continues to draft day so we can steal him at 25! ;)

Also with Oher's solid postseason performances, I don't understand why you continue to have him fall so much, while Tyson Jackson continues to rise up your draft while he has done absolutely nothing but hurt himself all year.

Me Likey Rookies
03-09-2009, 07:38 PM
If that was the Bucs pick, I would throw my shoe at the TV.

C'mon Scott, why would you believe rumors such as TB likes Freeman? Morris has seen him firsthand and knows what a bust he will be in the NFL. Oher, English, Matthews, Alphonso Smith would all be MUCH better picks.

wicket
03-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah, that's not true at all with recent history.

sorry you are right i meant to say something completely else, i fixed it

gdamac
03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I sure hope that's not who the Raiders pick, in either round. How utterly disappointing that would be. One thing I will say for Al, in his 4 top ten picks over the last 5 years, he has not made a reach like you suggest with Maclin. Some may argue that Quinn was a better QB than Russell, but it certainly wasn't a consensus. DMC, Gallery and Huff were rated right where Oakland picked them. Top ten picks cost too much money to take reaches.

Of course, as soon as I think I have Davis figured out, I don't, so we'll see.

PS
Al has a tremendous amount of faith in Higgins and Schillens, I think the surprise from Al will be not picking a WR in the first round.

MenOfTroy
03-09-2009, 08:24 PM
If I was a Lions fan, wow, that would be an amazing draft for those guys... Stafford, Oher, and Laurinaitis.

Steel4Real
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
If the Steelers draft turned out Alphonso Smith and Jarron Gilbert 1 and 2, I'd do a back flip over the moon. Though, from everything I've been seeing, it seems as though Gilbert's stock is soaring and won't last that long. I've seen a few people have the Steelers taking him in the first. Which I think is a bit crazy.

Steel4Real
03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
If I was a Lions fan, wow, that would be an amazing draft for those guys... Stafford, Oher, and Laurinaitis.

Yeah, I imagine everyone saying they had the best draft, no matter what would happened on day two, if it went like that.

derza222
03-09-2009, 08:48 PM

I wonder where you've seen that... I'd actually be kind of disappointed if they took Harvin between his injury issues and the fact that he's not at all polished as a WR. Kind of reminds me of a WR version of LW with his versatility and ability to make plays with the ball in his hands, but I'd rather a more polished guy that we can rely on more. Also not a huge fan of the McCoy pick, I'd prefer a bigger guy if he goes that route. Again, reminds me a little too much of the guys we already have on the team.

General Zod
03-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Thank you Scott for the much improved Vikings draft!

ElectricEye
03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I must say, that Patriots draft is excellent. I kinda really prefer Matthews to Sintim at this point given the fact he's really forced the issue in being a first round pick. People just kept waiting for him to slip up and not test well be he tested damn near better than anyone else. Love the Delmas pick, really dig the Robiskie pick as well and the Byrd pick is amazing. I really hope it shakes out this way on draft day because that would be quite the haul.

Caddy
03-09-2009, 09:40 PM
If that was the Bucs pick, I would throw my shoe at the TV.

C'mon Scott, why would you believe rumors such as TB likes Freeman? Morris has seen him firsthand and knows what a bust he will be in the NFL. Oher, English, Matthews, Alphonso Smith would all be MUCH better picks.

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that.

Seasonticketholder
03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
It sucks that we just missed out on BJ Raji but I would be very, very happy with Malcolm Jenkins who would probably play FS for us.

Starting lineup would be:

LCB, Jabari Greer
FS, Malcolm Jenkins
SS, Roman Harper
RCB, Tracy Porter

I'm not buying the whole Maclin before Crabtree thing, but other than that.. props for sure.

Malcolm Jenkins at 14 would be a steal imo.

I dont like tweeners usually but jenkins at 14 is good enough value to validate the pick although I would still like us to trade down.

Jenkins, to me, would be the best pick if we go defense. He is versatile and can play CB/S. With the signing of Greer, and assuming we add Gerald Sensabaugh this week, Jenkins would still make sense since he could step right in at FS. Now, if the Saints sign Sensabaugh and plan to play him at FS (he can play both safety positions), I would not rule out Chris Wells. But for now, Jenkins is the best pick!

wicket, I do not think trading down will be as easy to come by as some might think. The value in this draft is too close-to-even from about the 15th ranked player to the 45th ranked player. Why would a team want to trade up and give up valuable picks when chances are they won't be getting a player who is that far different in talent from the player they would be selecting if they stayed put? Also, with the looming uncapped season, I think more teams will be inclinced to keep their picks (to add players) and stockpile picks than to move up. Also, the teams with the serious ammunition to trade up like Miami, New England and Philadelphia are not teams that like to trade up. If anything, those teams like to trade down, which is the reason why they have so many picks.

Our best bet is to stay put and get the BPA. I think that will either be Jenkins or Wells unless one of the top tackles fall. A case could also be made for Raji if he falls but I do not see him getting any lower than Denver. So, it's Jenkins or Wells and, to me, you cannot go wrong with either player though I give the slight edge to Jenkins for now.

nepg
03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I could not disagree more. TBC was only ok when he was here last. Woods is good, but not great. Crable, although I really like him, is somewhat of an unknown, as is Vince Redd. Thomas could be used inside, I agree, but he doesn't have to be moved there. If we were to bring in a guy like Sintim (who I love as a prospect) then he could be moved inside, making our LB corps look something like Sintim, Thomas, Mayo, Crable/Woods/Redd with Guyton and Bruschi also on the inside.

I would be pissed if the pats drafted Davis in round 1. Corner is not our most pressing need, and if we took a corner in round 1 I would want it to be Alphonso Smith. Davis is not a patriot type of prospect (poor work ethic, attitude, etc.) As for Delmas, although his stock rising may not be merited, is where he will probably be drafted, and he is the type of prospect the patriots target (for all the oposite reasons of Davis). Byrd is a great pick, IMO, and he can step in an contribute right away.

As for Robinson, he could be a good pickup, but we dont need him to start at LG (we have Mankins), but he could push Neal for time at RG, but it's not a top need, nor do I see him pushing Kazcur for time.

Robiskie is a great pick, and although most patriots fans might not agree, WR is a pretty big need. Other than Moss and Welker, we have...Greg Lewis, Sam Aiken, and Matthew Slater.

Sintim's probably more of an inside guy in the NFL. They're more likely to go with Clay Matthews or Connor Barwin if those are their options and they take a linebacker...

Vontae Davis is a great pick there. He's one of the few CBs in the draft that's definitely better than Wilhite or Wheatley... He's the only elite talent at corner (and one of the very few elite talents in the entire draft). At #23, the guy is worth whatever risk is involved (I think you and many others are way overrating his short-comings). They took Brandon Meriweather, who had the same knocks, and he's turned out great. I'll go ahead and say with near-100% certainty that unless someone amazing is there (Oher, DHB, Maclin, Cushing), there's no way they pass on Vontae Davis.

Duke Robinson's another guy who's slipped on boards because he's a guard and because people are bored with him (because he's been at the top for so long). He's another one of the very few elite talents in the draft. He'd crush Neal or Kaczur at either RG or RT, and he gives the Pats flexibility to move Mankins to RG or RT to strengthen the overall line. You park Duke Robinson and Logan Mankins on either side of Dan Koppen, and Koppen's problems with big, strong NT's disappears.

WR's a big need, no doubt... I just don't like that they pass on other talent earlier and settle on reaching on Robiskie in the middle of the 2nd round. I don't hate Robiskie, but the guy had one good season, and it wasn't this past one. If they're not going to get one of the Top 5 or 6 guys, they can do better than reaching on Robiskie in the 2nd round...there are some super-talented receivers out there.
________
Park Royal 3 Condo (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Bigburt63
03-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Sintim's probably more of an inside guy in the NFL. They're more likely to go with Clay Matthews or Connor Barwin if those are their options and they take a linebacker...

Vontae Davis is a great pick there. He's one of the few CBs in the draft that's definitely better than Wilhite or Wheatley... He's the only elite talent at corner (and one of the very few elite talents in the entire draft). At #23, the guy is worth whatever risk is involved (I think you and many others are way overrating his short-comings). They took Brandon Meriweather, who had the same knocks, and he's turned out great. I'll go ahead and say with near-100% certainty that unless someone amazing is there (Oher, DHB, Maclin, Cushing), there's no way they pass on Vontae Davis.

Duke Robinson's another guy who's slipped on boards because he's a guard and because people are bored with him (because he's been at the top for so long). He's another one of the very few elite talents in the draft. He'd crush Neal or Kaczur at either RG or RT, and he gives the Pats flexibility to move Mankins to RG or RT to strengthen the overall line. You park Duke Robinson and Logan Mankins on either side of Dan Koppen, and Koppen's problems with big, strong NT's disappears.

WR's a big need, no doubt... I just don't like that they pass on other talent earlier and settle on reaching on Robiskie in the middle of the 2nd round. I don't hate Robiskie, but the guy had one good season, and it wasn't this past one. If they're not going to get one of the Top 5 or 6 guys, they can do better than reaching on Robiskie in the 2nd round...there are some super-talented receivers out there.

Not to hijak the thread, but...

To me, Davis is nothing that the patriots look for when they draft a player. Merweather was a little bit different, and he was worked out persoanlly by BB and Bill came away raving about him. Until something like that happens, I guess we will have to agree to disagree about Davis.

Why would we move Mankins to RG or RT if he was an all-pro at LG just a year ago? Makes no sense to me. Its not that I wouldn't like the Robinson pick, just that S, LB, WR, and to some extent CB are more pressing needs than a guard. Neal is above-average when healthy, and Kazcur isn't as bad as some make him out to be. Could either be upgraded? Certainly, but we don't have the luxury of doing that early in this draft.

The patriots don't care about reaching for a player, even if the value isn't necessarily there, as long as they feel that confident in him (i.e. Mankins, Mayo, Wheatley).

ElectricEye
03-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Disagree with everything there.

Sintim might not have tested well, but he isn't more of an inside guy. He has legit pass rusher skills off the edge in the 3-4. Known one's as well. I don't disagree with the sentiment that there might be a better pick out there(English and Matthews come to mind, who Scott has going back to back after us and I think it would be a damn shame if we passed on them). Sintim still isn't a bad pick at all.

You're being way to easy on Davis. Davis was basically baking on a blazing 40 time and while he worked out overall, he showed he might not be all the athlete he's cracked up to be. Might run a lot better at his pro day, but still. Not worth the pick at all. Character concerns and he hasn't been productive at all. I was very enthusiastic about him entering the year but there were times this year when he just didn't look like a very good cornerback. Good athlete, but there's guys of his caliber in the second round. I would probably prefer just about any corner projected to go in the first two rounds to Davis. Byrd would be the better pick, IMO. Much better track record. I'm pretty damn confident we would pass over him at this point and not blink. Bighurt just said it, but Merriweather had a bit different of a situation.

Robinson? Not sure I follow that one. I agree to the extent that the right side of the line is a weak spot, but I would much rather go tackle there than guard. Robinson never really struck me as the type who could play RT. He can move alright, but he moves like a guard. Not the type of guy I would want dealing with defensive ends at all.

Also disagree that Robiskie is a reach. He's more of a late second/third round talent to me but he fits the profile for a Patriots type player perfectly. The lack of production this year has a lot more to do with Pryor than it does with his play.

regoob2
03-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Overall pretty good job. Personally, I would prefer Paul Kruger or Rashad Johnson over Duke Robinson, but I'm not complaining.Why???????

CC.SD
03-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Another mock and more Maualuga. As a Trojan alum and SD native I seriously can't imagine how cool this would be, I wasn't around for Junior's college days. It's too popular a pick, AJ Smith will never make it. He will try to outsmart the NFL again. Le sigh.

PS Rey is a beast and severely underrated at this point. He dramatically impacts games and you can't place a value on presence.

Flyboy
03-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Jenkins, to me, would be the best pick if we go defense. He is versatile and can play CB/S. With the signing of Greer, and assuming we add Gerald Sensabaugh this week, Jenkins would still make sense since he could step right in at FS. Now, if the Saints sign Sensabaugh and plan to play him at FS (he can play both safety positions), I would not rule out Chris Wells. But for now, Jenkins is the best pick!

wicket, I do not think trading down will be as easy to come by as some might think. The value in this draft is too close-to-even from about the 15th ranked player to the 45th ranked player. Why would a team want to trade up and give up valuable picks when chances are they won't be getting a player who is that far different in talent from the player they would be selecting if they stayed put? Also, with the looming uncapped season, I think more teams will be inclinced to keep their picks (to add players) and stockpile picks than to move up. Also, the teams with the serious ammunition to trade up like Miami, New England and Philadelphia are not teams that like to trade up. If anything, those teams like to trade down, which is the reason why they have so many picks.

Our best bet is to stay put and get the BPA. I think that will either be Jenkins or Wells unless one of the top tackles fall. A case could also be made for Raji if he falls but I do not see him getting any lower than Denver. So, it's Jenkins or Wells and, to me, you cannot go wrong with either player though I give the slight edge to Jenkins for now.

Quality post. I think what happens with LT is something to watch very closely, though.. if he gets cut from SD and we sign him then I would imagine that we wouldn't go after Chris Wells although I was one of the first posters here to claim we could select him if he's the BPA on our board. We get LT, no Wells and we get Jenkins I'm happy. No LT with Wells & Jenkins on the board... I think we still need to go Jenkins.

yourfavestoner
03-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Well, with Matt Jones' arrest, I can't really complain about wide receiver int he first round anymore.

Either Jason Smith/Eugene Monroe or Crabtree/Maclin will fall to them at eight. And I really can't complain about any of those players at that point.

j05son
03-09-2009, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't think Cleveland goes TE with Tampa's old pick. With Heiden, Dinkins and recent draftee Rucker along with the signing of Royal, I don't think the position is a need even if Cook is bpa.

Forenci
03-09-2009, 11:45 PM
That'd be an amazing Giants draft if it went down like that. Nicks is my favorite wide receiver (after Maclin and Crabtree, of course), I love Unger and think he'd give us depth and eventually be the eventual replacement for O'Hara, or even Seubert.

Coffman is iffy to me a little bit though. I know we need a tight end to some extent, but isn't Coffman somewhat like Boss? Big, good hands, not extremely athletic? I haven't seen him play much, but thats the impression I got. Plus I know the Giants are very high on Boss.

If we were spend a pick on a luxury type player I think I wouldn't mind a running back. We're predicated on the run, so we could definitely use someone to help replace Derrick Ward.

MidwayMonster31
03-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Why???????Robinson would help the running game. I just think that safety and pass rush are bigger problems and that Kruger or Johnson would help. But since the Bears have a ton of problems, it's probably better to go with value.

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2009, 12:10 AM
To those who don't think the Raiders would pass on Crabtree, found this on rotoworld and Lombardi doesn't think it's that hard to believe:

Mike Lombardi said on the NFL Network's Path to the Draft program that he doesn't believe the Raiders would draft Michael Crabtree at No. 7 overall.
Lombardi worked in Oakland's front office for eight years, and says Al Davis needs a forty time to draft any player. The Raiders may feel safer with Jeremy Maclin or Darrius Heyward-Bey.

Lombardi is a respected writer, and I'd say he has an idea of what Al tends to do so it's a thought, or he could pass up Crabtree all together for a LT.

gpngc
03-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I wonder where you've seen that... I'd actually be kind of disappointed if they took Harvin between his injury issues and the fact that he's not at all polished as a WR. Kind of reminds me of a WR version of LW with his versatility and ability to make plays with the ball in his hands, but I'd rather a more polished guy that we can rely on more. Also not a huge fan of the McCoy pick, I'd prefer a bigger guy if he goes that route. Again, reminds me a little too much of the guys we already have on the team.

This is a good thing! He's your biggest asset on O. You need more players like him!

There is no proof that Harvin can be a solid, true WR in the NFL (like there was with DeSean Jackson last year- how he went in round two I'll never understand). But, there are many reasons to believe he can be the same type of player. We know he's a phenomenal athlete and absolutely electric with the ball. We know he can get open deep, but can he run NFL routes and beat press coverage? Those are the questions. As for beating the bump- the kid is extremely strong for his size, and his quickness will be used to his advantage at the LOS. As for the route tree- I'll bring it up again: Hines Ward, Antonio Gates, A. Randle El. Those guys never ran a real route until they came to the NFL and they are all fine in that department. Roddy White is another example of someone who turned into a #1 route-runner after not running the whole tree in college. I'll admit P. Harvin ran a lot of 9s and shallow crosses, but I have no doubt in my mind that such a gifted athlete (and proven football player) could develop into a good route-runner. We know he has the tools.

The injuries are scary, yes. But I'm of the belief that you can't be afraid of non-existent injuries (his past) when drafting a supreme talent. Plus, he's shown some toughness playing through some nicks. You can also think of it this way: if he didn't have the injury questions- the Jets probably wouldn't even have a chance at such a talent at #17.

JMO.

MooshooGawd
03-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Andre Smith and Alex Mack?

OMG! That would make me sooooooooo happy.

Scott Wright
03-10-2009, 01:37 AM
To think we would pass up Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald

Michael Crabtree is no Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald...

Scott Wright
03-10-2009, 01:40 AM
I think Sintim's good, but your reasoning has never helped any of Groh's former players get into Pats' uniforms.

I think the difference is that Groh is really singing the praises of Sintim.

Scott Wright
03-10-2009, 01:42 AM
There's always one teams fans that Scott seems to get into arguements with each year. It was the bills in 07, falcons in 08, and the 49ers in 09 hehe.

Ha, you're right about that.

And for the record:

* Bills Fans: Still think Terrence Pennington is the long-term answer at right tackle?

* Falcon Fans: How do you like Matt Ryan now?

Scott Wright
03-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Just a few things though: You're love for Tyson Jackson and Aaron Maybin continues to baffle me

I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being an Aaron Maybin fan. I've been saying he is overrated for months and he's a late first rounder on my board. With that said it seems like he is still going to be picked in the top half of round one.

As for Tyson Jackson, he could very easily slip into the Top 10.

On Michael Oher, as I said in the mock analysis he isn't the elite prospect some have made him out to be. There are plenty who feel he is a late first round pick.

Scott Wright
03-10-2009, 01:45 AM
One thing I will say for Al, in his 4 top ten picks over the last 5 years, he has not made a reach like you suggest with Maclin.

Maclin would not be a monumental reach at #10, he is a legit Top 10 pick.

Flyboy
03-10-2009, 02:28 AM

Scott just basically asked the Falcon fans how his ass taste!

OH!

D-Unit
03-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Sean Smith fell farther than I thought. I think the Cowboys could be an option for him. KFFL recently said we met with him.

Shane P. Hallam
03-10-2009, 04:14 AM
I wouldn't think Cleveland goes TE with Tampa's old pick. With Heiden, Dinkins and recent draftee Rucker along with the signing of Royal, I don't think the position is a need even if Cook is bpa.

Dinkins is no longer on the Browns, he is a free agent, I am pretty sure.

BigBanger
03-10-2009, 05:00 AM
Just some general thoughts.

The 49ers fans should be mad.

Mark Sanchez and Philip Loadholt? OMG!!!!! A huge bust Loadholt would turn out to be and he'd add to that 55 sacks. Then they'd go through another top 10 pick at QB. That franchise would simply have to give up before they look like the Lions. Let's see them keep an OC for more than two years before they start drafting QBs in the top 10 again.

Great draft for the Bengal's. That's pretty much ideal.

Darius Butler? This seems very low to me. I think he's arguably the best CB in the draft, and coming off a great season, a great senior bowl, and an excellent combine... where's the love? At 44, that's the steal of the whole draft.

TEs usually fall, but I think that's very low for Cook and teams may be looking for different kinds of TEs, so certain ones may fall. I think he and Nelson are the top 2 TEs.

Ayers seems like a better fit in ATL than English. Ayers seems more like a RDE than English.

Glad to see Wells finally out of that top 10. That has been making me sick for months. He should be out of the first round entirely.

Cigaro
03-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Sen'Derrick Marks? What the hell? Yes, we need a defensive tackle, but the Panthers need a nose tackle, not another under tackle to add to the 100000000000 we already have.

dtowner
03-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Nicks is NOT in my opininon a 1st rounder. IN FACT, the list of WR's that have been pushed in and out of the first round in most draft boards are NOT 1st rounders. There is little difference between Nicks, Britt, Robinskie, Murphy and Bey. Bey has the speed, but oh those drops will give lots of coaches grey hair. He is probalby the only 1st rounder among these guys and only because of his combine speed. I actually like the 2nd round pick of the Giants better. I also see them needing a safety and an OLB. I would be surprised if they didn't wait until their 3rd pick to take a Robiskie or Murphy, both of whom will still be around. OR an Aaron Kelly from Clemson in the 3rd or 4th round.

You still think Stafford will go 1st? I'm not so sure. And I still see the Rams taking Defense because I'm sure Spags will want to put HIS mark on the team. IMHO

Halsey
03-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Sen'Derrick Marks? What the hell? Yes, we need a defensive tackle, but the Panthers need a nose tackle, not another under tackle to add to the 100000000000 we already have.

Marks isn't exactly anorexic at 306 and the Panthers roster says that 3 of their 6 DT's are 310 and above. The Panthers could use any DT who can make an impact, cause the ones they have don't.

DiG
03-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Bey has the speed, but oh those drops will give lots of coaches grey hair.

umm what drops??? have you watched any maryland games before? bey never drops balls. his hands are easily one of his best assets as a receiver.

UK_Raider
03-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Hi Scott,

Always look forward to your mocks with baited breath and today was no different.

I know trying to second guess Al Davis is (possibly) the most difficult job in the world but what reasons do you have for the Raiders not taking BJ Raji at #7 and then addressing the Oline in the second round (Mack??) - is it just because that would be the most sensible (and therefore the least likely) thing to do??

Thanks,

Raider fan from the UK.

dtowner
03-10-2009, 09:23 AM
umm what drops??? have you watched any maryland games before? bey never drops balls. his hands are easily one of his best assets as a receiver.

watch a ton of Maryland's games and you haven't been paying attention.

dtowner
03-10-2009, 09:35 AM
watch a ton of Maryland's games and you haven't been paying attention.

Top 20 and not around when the Giants pick. I don't think Britt, Nicks, Robiskie or Murphy are 1rd rounders.

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Sean Smith fell farther than I thought. I think the Cowboys could be an option for him. KFFL recently said we met with him.

I saw him go #50 to Cleveland right before us in another mock, I wouldn't be opposed to moving down to #42 and jumping San Fran to take him if he even gets that close, hopefully I won't get my hopes up for nothing :(

jCut
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Great draft for Denver.. Raji and Hood would be steals.

Menardo75
03-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Top 20 and not around when the Giants pick. I don't think Britt, Nicks, Robiskie or Murphy are 1rd rounders.

...Murphy?

dtowner
03-10-2009, 11:19 AM
...Murphy?

6'2 - 205 and runs a 4.45 40 averaging 17 yards a catch. Not big numbers in college but good pro size and speed and should be a late 2nd round or 3rd round pick.

Larry
03-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Alex Smith just restructured his contract. Singletary definitely won't be taking a QB at 10.

roscoesdad27
03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
1) love the ravens first rounder....vontae would be great and can matchup with the bigger w.r.'s that are sure to give our smaller guys fits.

2) dont like the second...yes t.e. is a need but so is d.e., w.r. and r.t.....better choice and value would be jaron gilbert....he'd be a steal and ideal for the ravens there...must go w.r. in round 3.

Dark Knight01
03-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I sure hope that's not who the Raiders pick, in either round. How utterly disappointing that would be. One thing I will say for Al, in his 4 top ten picks over the last 5 years, he has not made a reach like you suggest with Maclin. Some may argue that Quinn was a better QB than Russell, but it certainly wasn't a consensus. DMC, Gallery and Huff were rated right where Oakland picked them. Top ten picks cost too much money to take reaches.

Of course, as soon as I think I have Davis figured out, I don't, so we'll see.

PS
Al has a tremendous amount of faith in Higgins and Schillens, I think the surprise from Al will be not picking a WR in the first round.

^^They should really look to trade down or take an OT like Andre Smith to be a dominant RT and insurance just in case Henderson fails.

Then if they want a WR in Round 2 and 3 Robiskie,or Britt may be there and Round 3 Patrick Turner will be there.

In Round 2 they can look at Ron Brace or maybe Ziggy Hood or Terrance Taylor also.

If Crabtree is there, it will be difficult to pass on him though....

Dark Knight01
03-10-2009, 12:46 PM
To those who don't think the Raiders would pass on Crabtree, found this on rotoworld and Lombardi doesn't think it's that hard to believe:

Lombardi is a respected writer, and I'd say he has an idea of what Al tends to do so it's a thought, or he could pass up Crabtree all together for a LT.

Old man Al will end up doing the exact opposite of what Lombardi said now........LOL

Dark Knight01
03-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi Scott,

Always look forward to your mocks with baited breath and today was no different.

I know trying to second guess Al Davis is (possibly) the most difficult job in the world but what reasons do you have for the Raiders not taking BJ Raji at #7 and then addressing the Oline in the second round (Mack??) - is it just because that would be the most sensible (and therefore the least likely) thing to do??

Thanks,

Raider fan from the UK.

^^Alex Mack isn't going to be there in Round 2 when the Raiders pick more than likely....

Grig
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Clay Matthews, okay.. Darius Butler, hell yeah... Pat White?!?

While Miami might be the best fit for White simply due to the Wildcat, if they take him in the 2nd round, Fins fans will be heated.

Menardo75
03-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Alex Smith just restructured his contract. Singletary definitely won't be taking a QB at 10.

Beat me to it.

derza222
03-10-2009, 02:59 PM
This is a good thing! He's your biggest asset on O. You need more players like him!

There is no proof that Harvin can be a solid, true WR in the NFL (like there was with DeSean Jackson last year- how he went in round two I'll never understand). But, there are many reasons to believe he can be the same type of player. We know he's a phenomenal athlete and absolutely electric with the ball. We know he can get open deep, but can he run NFL routes and beat press coverage? Those are the questions. As for beating the bump- the kid is extremely strong for his size, and his quickness will be used to his advantage at the LOS. As for the route tree- I'll bring it up again: Hines Ward, Antonio Gates, A. Randle El. Those guys never ran a real route until they came to the NFL and they are all fine in that department. Roddy White is another example of someone who turned into a #1 route-runner after not running the whole tree in college. I'll admit P. Harvin ran a lot of 9s and shallow crosses, but I have no doubt in my mind that such a gifted athlete (and proven football player) could develop into a good route-runner. We know he has the tools.

The injuries are scary, yes. But I'm of the belief that you can't be afraid of non-existent injuries (his past) when drafting a supreme talent. Plus, he's shown some toughness playing through some nicks. You can also think of it this way: if he didn't have the injury questions- the Jets probably wouldn't even have a chance at such a talent at #17.

JMO.

Don't get me wrong I love LW and I think we need more offensive playmakers. Right now Percy is an incredibly talented guy without a true position, and we have a similar player on the team right now. I'd really like to diversify the offense a little more, pick up a guy with the potential to be a true #1 wideout where Harvin seems more like a guy that can be an awesome playmaker as a #2 right now with his route tree in question as you stated. That's how I see him at least anyway. Plus right now we've got nobody really to start ahead of him so he'd be thrust into a starting role, at the moment, across from Cotchery which I'm not sure he's ready for. If we pick up Holt not only to ease Harvin in but even mentor him in his routes some, the pick becomes considerably better IMO.

I'd absolutely learn to love the pick, and having those two on the field at the same time would allow Schottenheimer to do a lot of fun stuff and really frighten defenses, but right now I'd like to diversify our offense a little more. A true #1 wideout is something we've lacked since I've been watching the team really while we have had some borderline guys, and it would be nice to get one. Maybe we can't get one at 17 anyway, though. You do make some very nice points, and we could certainly do worse.

Menardo75
03-10-2009, 03:10 PM
6'2 - 205 and runs a 4.45 40 averaging 17 yards a catch. Not big numbers in college but good pro size and speed and should be a late 2nd round or 3rd round pick.

Yeah I know who he is lol. I don't see him going before late second.

Brown Leader
03-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Scott-
Browns may be compelled to take Orakpo and Gini might see D.Brown as a safe choice in the 2nd but the Browns offense severely lacked leadership in 08' and if Moreno falls where you have him or further I expect/demand the Browns trade up to get him. He is the type of lightening rod the offense needs and can share time with Jamal for another two years.
Cook is a one dimensional pass catching TE right? Isn't that very similar to M.Rucker. In your mock I see the Browns taking Chung for SS or E.Wood to play RG.

03-10-2009, 03:56 PM
^^Alex Mack isn't going to be there in Round 2 when the Raiders pick more than likely....

There's a decent chance Mack and Unger both end up late first round picks and if not then they will certainly be gone by our pick. Personally, I'd settle for Eric Wood if that be the case. I'm actually hoping we address the offensive line with our first two picks and I'd be completely fine with passing on Crabtree and Maclin for Andre Smith or even Michael Oher. Letís give those young receivers another year to develop some chemistry with Russell because I believe we have something special already in Chaz Schilens and one of JLH or Shields should surprise as well. Contrarily, we have absolutely no worthy future assets from within the organization at either tackle spot. No, Super Mario is not the answer.

Mykdaneck
03-10-2009, 04:43 PM
If I was a Lions fan, wow, that would be an amazing draft for those guys... Stafford, Oher, and Laurinaitis. I would be giddy with that draft. I do not want Stafford at #1 but if the rest of the 1st 2 rounds went like that, I will be all smiles.

Flippityskip91
03-10-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm okay with the Orakpo pick, although I really don't like the value for any pick the Browns might make at 5. As much as I like Donald Brown, I'm not sure I'd like for us to take him due to the myriad of other needs we seem to have. If we manage to get another 2nd at some point, then I'd be open to it.

As for the Jared Cook thing, I'm just going to say no. We have no need for another TE. We just signed Royal, we still have Heiden (although he's coming off surgery), and we've already got a receiving TE who isn't going to be blocking anyone (Rucker).

Babylon
03-10-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure what makes Everette Brown and Aaron Maybin top 12 picks in this draft or any other draft for that matter. Both guys are undersized DEs that most likely will have to transition to OLB and neither exactly set the world on fire at the combine when you comare their numbers to other backers.

Maybin and Brown have potential but i think it's a little risky and i think they get drafted high based on playing for PSU and Fla. State more than anything else.

keylime_5
03-10-2009, 06:15 PM
As for the Jared Cook thing, I'm just going to say no. We have no need for another TE. We just signed Royal, we still have Heiden (although he's coming off surgery), and we've already got a receiving TE who isn't going to be blocking anyone (Rucker).

yeah, we didn't trade Winslow for a draft pick just to pick another tight end with it. I'm pretty sure the idea is using those picks to shore up the rest of the team, and I think the Royal signing confirms that now that we have Rucker and Heiden as the top two...plus the word is that the new coaching staff don't plan to feature a tight end in the offense like we did before, and this isn't even Schottenheimer's offensive system like it was in New York for Mangini, it is Brian Daboll's and his offense is a lot more like the one in New England where the tight end blocks mostly.

thetedginnshow
03-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure what makes Everette Brown and Aaron Maybin top 12 picks in this draft or any other draft for that matter. Both guys are undersized DEs that most likely will have to transition to OLB and neither exactly set the world on fire at the combine when you comare their numbers to other backers.

Maybin and Brown have potential but i think it's a little risky and i think they get drafted high based on playing for PSU and Fla. State more than anything else.

What's wrong with FSU?

spencer61
03-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Just some general thoughts.

The 49ers fans should be mad.

Mark Sanchez and Philip Loadholt? OMG!!!!! A huge bust Loadholt would turn out to be and he'd add to that 55 sacks. Then they'd go through another top 10 pick at QB. That franchise would simply have to give up before they look like the Lions. Let's see them keep an OC for more than two years before they start drafting QBs in the top 10 again.

I'm a 49er fan and I TOTALLY agree.

I don't think that Singletary and the 9ers' Front Office would risk their futures nursing a 1-year marvel QB through a so-so season.

If Raji or a QUALITY OT/RT like Andre Smith or possibly Oher were available, I think they would be taken over Sanchez.

I also think they would take Connor Barwin (you forgot to include him) in the 2nd round.

Cigaro
03-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Marks isn't exactly anorexic at 306 and the Panthers roster says that 3 of their 6 DT's are 310 and above. The Panthers could use any DT who can make an impact, cause the ones they have don't.

I don't care what their weight is, I care how they play. Except for Kemo who's average at best, our defensive tackles are all undertackles. If Ron Brace is unavailable, I'd rather us go defensive end to replace Julius Peppers and go after someone like Terrance Taylor later on.

Flippityskip91
03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
yeah, we didn't trade Winslow for a draft pick just to pick another tight end with it. I'm pretty sure the idea is using those picks to shore up the rest of the team, and I think the Royal signing confirms that now that we have Rucker and Heiden as the top two...plus the word is that the new coaching staff don't plan to feature a tight end in the offense like we did before, and this isn't even Schottenheimer's offensive system like it was in New York for Mangini, it is Brian Daboll's and his offense is a lot more like the one in New England where the tight end blocks mostly.

Yea, I read the same thing about how the tight ends are expected to be used. I understood that as the reasoning behind grabbing Royal. I could see the possibility for this pick to so many ways though. Depending on who's available, it could be a C, RB, WR, LB, or S. I like where we're at with 2 2nds, and I'm hoping we can manage to get another one sometime after DA's bonus gets paid. That's this weekend I think.

CantStopGregJones
03-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Pick 50 = Pathetic.

Jarron Gilbert is the pick there, or best RT, WR, SS, CB take your pick.

Chief49er
03-10-2009, 09:25 PM
49ers just restructured Alex Smith's contract, I don't think they are drafting Sanchez.

Scott Wright
03-11-2009, 12:29 AM
49ers just restructured Alex Smith's contract, I don't think they are drafting Sanchez.

That's the smart move. Stick with Smith and let him set the franchise back another five years.

Talk about compounding a mistake.

LonghornsLegend
03-11-2009, 12:33 AM

LMAO, I can't tell if your serious or not.

So by them giving their bust QB less money, that means they won't be drafting a franchise QB? I don't understand some of you Niner fans.

The only way I don't see Sanchez being the pick is if Andre Smith is there, if he's on board I think Singletary leans his way to get the ground game solidified, but listing Alex Smith as reasons why Mark Sanchez won't be the pick makes no sense, Smith won't be the reason they do, or don't do anything in this draft what so ever.

d34ng3l021
03-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Ha, you're right about that.

And for the record:

* Bills Fans: Still think Terrence Pennington is the long-term answer at right tackle?

I just feel as if Mike Smith comes from a team that had top defensive tackles and he will look to draft Glenn Dorsey. Tom Dmitroff comes from a team that took Tom Brady in the 6th round. Matt Ryan won't be able to succeed in with the surrounding pieces in Atlanta.

Thecollegedropout
03-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Awful 1st round pick for NYJ. The only guy Id absolutely hate to get at 17 is the guy you give to us in Harvin...

Injury proneness? Check
Gadget trickery despite us having Brad Smith and Leon Washington for those plays when we lack a true big WR? Check
Florida Wide Reciever? Check

I know the last point isnt fair on Harvin but I would still be weary of the guy just based upon past history with the Gator WR's. But since the Jets usually do draft bad I guess you arent that far off with the move and all. I understand we need a "gamebreaker" so to speak but what is really the difference between Ted Ginn Jr and Percy Harvin honestly?

McCoy I dont think we'd go with in round 2 since they still feel Thomas Jones is a young 30 and Leon can still do damage with chances but I think talent wise McCoy is a beast and would be something to watch out for. But I can see the Jets getting a 3-4 DE sometime early IMHO.

gpngc
03-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Awful 1st round pick for NYJ. The only guy Id absolutely hate to get at 17 is the guy you give to us in Harvin...

Injury proneness? Check
Gadget trickery despite us having Brad Smith and Leon Washington for those plays when we lack a true big WR? Check
Florida Wide Reciever? Check

I know the last point isnt fair on Harvin but I would still be weary of the guy just based upon past history with the Gator WR's. But since the Jets usually do draft bad I guess you arent that far off with the move and all. I understand we need a "gamebreaker" so to speak but what is really the difference between Ted Ginn Jr and Percy Harvin honestly?

Harvin is stronger, more physical, and tougher than Ginn. Ginn's value was enhanced by his KR ability, Harvin doesn't return kicks. Ginn runs by you, Harvin has better moves in the open field and is more agile. Ginn had 14 career touchdowns from scrimmage, Harvin had 32.

Despite being "injury prone" Harvin missed about 5.5 games in three seasons in the SEC.

keylime_5
03-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Ugh....I don't like it when people compare stats from guys in Ohio State's underachieving offensive scheme (we don't have an offensive coordinator) to those in great offenses like Urban Meyer's......but yeah, Harvin isn't that much like Ginn. He's similar to Steve Smith though he's never returned a kick or punt in college like Smith does - and Ginn is more like Galloway. Maclin is closer to Ginn than Harvin.

Menardo75
03-11-2009, 12:38 PM
That's the smart move. Stick with Smith and let him set the franchise back another five years.

I guess time will tell.

Chief49er
03-11-2009, 06:30 PM

Scot McCloughan has said on numerous occasions he feels that Alex Smith still has his best football ahead of him and he sees him as the 49ers starter.

Do I agree, not really, Smith hasn't proved crap. But, why draft a QB if Scot feels this way?

princefielder28
03-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Scot McCloughan has said on numerous occasions he feels that Alex Smith still has his best football ahead of him and he sees him as the 49ers starter.

Do I agree, not really, Smith hasn't proved crap. But, why draft a QB if Scot feels this way?

It's easy to say that Alex Smith has his best football ahead of him because it's hard to imagine that it'll get any worse.

Scott Wright
03-11-2009, 09:39 PM

I guess time will tell.

I'm sorry but in my opinion time has already role.

LonghornsLegend
03-11-2009, 09:51 PM

What did you expect him to say? That he was a collossal bust and set the franchise back?

I guess you don't remember how "confident" the Texans were with David Carr going into the 2005 draft, surely that made Carr a great QB because the GM said so.

GM's say things like this all the time, your crazy if you thought he would openly bash a QB when they just restructured his contract, of course he hopes he can get anything he wants, but Alex Smith won't have anything to do with their draft plans, that's just not even a remote possibility.

CC.SD
03-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Hello Kevin Burnett, I hope you have a stellar career with the Charg...wait, wait, Rey! Rey! Come back mofo! Come on 58 why you gotta be like that...

alright go then.

How about a beer, Cushing? No? Please it's been so long since we've had a Trojan.

Wow, Scott really hates Cushing: "Manufactured athlete who should test well but isn't that impressive on film and often looks like a defensive end in a linebacker's body...Is overrated as a pro prospect but has the talent to start at the next level if he can somehow find a way to stay healthy."

Manufactured athlete o dang. Rey and I were love at first sight but you have to give Cushing credit for being truly ferocious, which you simply do not see enough in the nfl these days.

Menardo75
03-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm sorry but in my opinion time has already role.

A year and a half as a starter and two injury plauged seasons and his time is up? at 25? I'm glad you're not our GM.

Matthew Jones
03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
A year and a half as a starter and two injury plauged seasons and his time is up? at 25? I'm glad you're not our GM.

I think you would be in the minority there. I don't think it's a bad move to get a former #1 overall pick for cheap but I doubt I'd let a guy with 19 TD and 31 INT on his career and with durability issues to boot prevent me from trying to get a stud at quarterback.

Menardo75
03-11-2009, 11:59 PM
I think you would be in the minority there. I don't think it's a bad move to get a former #1 overall pick for cheap but I doubt I'd let a guy with 19 TD and 31 INT on his career and with durability issues to boot prevent me from trying to get a stud at quarterback.

Who's to say either of the two guys they have can't be "Studs" Oh right you guys don't think so.

Scott Wright
03-12-2009, 02:09 AM

If I were your GM you'd have Aaron Rodgers and not Alex Smith.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-12-2009, 02:20 AM
Fairly realistic Oakland draft. Maclin appears pretty likely, but I think that, with the way things fell prior to the 40th pick, Oakland would take William Moore before taking Johnson.

bergo23
03-12-2009, 06:12 AM
I do not see Maualuga going to the Bolts at #16, and you haven't had anyone else there for us since the order came out!

Here is why:

1)Kevin Burnett: ILB

2)They already have Thumper types at ILB in Siler and Dobbins

3)AJ will take Oher if he falls past Washington like you have, he really wants to beef the Run Game.

4)We would go with Tyson Jackson if the Skins taker Oher instead of Jackson.

Howz that for reasons!

gpngc
03-12-2009, 01:49 PM

I remember when he first declared. People said 2nd-3rd round, which was about where I thought he belonged at the time. Then out of no where there was talk of him going #3 to Cleveland.

I still don't understand the decision to go with Smith over Rodgers. The Niners must have been REALLY infatuated with his intellect and smarts. That game where Rodgers was like 25-27 against USC was what did it for me...

24th overall... man.

Menardo75
03-12-2009, 01:51 PM
They thought and still do that Smith at his best would be the better of Rodgers at his best which could still be true.

Larry
03-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Because the results would clearly be the same. Rodgers only got to sit and learn behind a HOF QB with a superb supporting cast.

Alex was thrown into the fire mid way through his rookie season with a bad offensive line and no WR's.

Switch both into those situations and who knows what happens.

49ersfan_87
03-14-2009, 10:25 AM
LMAO, I can't tell if your serious or not.

So by them giving their bust QB less money, that means they won't be drafting a franchise QB? I don't understand some of you Niner fans.

The only way I don't see Sanchez being the pick is if Andre Smith is there, if he's on board I think Singletary leans his way to get the ground game solidified, but listing Alex Smith as reasons why Mark Sanchez won't be the pick makes no sense, Smith won't be the reason they do, or don't do anything in this draft what so ever.

Its not impossible. All offseason Singletary has basically said he wanted Smith and Hill to compete for the QB job. Our GM loves Smith and still wants him to work out. I wouldnt be surprised if our GM still thinks Smith can be the long-term answer. I'd expect the 49ers to pick someone like Oher, Brown, or Raji at 10.

RaiderNation
03-15-2009, 01:33 AM
I have a good feeling Al Davis is changing the way he is doing things. He has overpaid anyone this offseason like most previous offseasons. He has clearly wanted to add depth to both lines(signed OT Khalif Barnes and OT Eric Pears, also stated in a press conference not to long ago that he wanted some dlinemen). I think Al is going with the safe pick in Crabtree or Raji or Orakpo at #7.

I expect us to go
#7 Crabtree WR, Raji DT, or Orakpo DE
#40Mack C,Unger C,Wood C,Nicks WR, Britt WR,Brace DT,Ayers DE or Johnson DE
#71 Luigs C, Caldwell C, Barden WR, Moala DT, Baker DT, Kruger DE