PDA

View Full Version : My new Pats draft

hannah73
03-09-2009, 07:01 PM
1. jarron Gilbert DE - need a replacement for the old and expensive Seymour and he has great strength and quickness.

2 a) Hakeem Nicks - Good WR, hopefully not a bust like every other WR they draft

b) Alex Mack - could play guard too in case mankins is too expensive to resign. Also need a backup center possible replacement.

c) Connor Barwin - everyone's favorte so I threw him in here. HOpefully he can be strong at the point of attack. Otherwise he's a wasted pick.

3a) trade for 2nd next year nad 5th this year.
3b) supplemental - Jairus Byrd. Could play Cb or safety, great ball skills, great athlete, father was all pro CB

4a) jaspar brinkley ILB - may too high for him
5. Scott McKillop ILB -
5 supplemental - Dillar WR Rice

nepg
03-09-2009, 09:41 PM
You don't draft a center in round 2 to backup anyone... I'd replace that pick with a CB or S. The rest of Round 2 looks fine, I guess. The third is cooky as all hell. No one's trading a 2nd and a 5th for a late 3rd (predicting trades - overall - is gooberish anyway).
________
Weed Bubblers (http://bubblers.net/)

ElectricEye
03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Gilbert is a terrible pick. We have Seymour locked up for another year and dire needs at other positions. Passing on an outside linebacker or defensive back would be a mistake there.

Nicks is a good pick, but again, bigger issues right now. Part of me loves in though, but personally I would prefer Britt.

Mack is pretty trash. The only spot that would warrant a first day selection is right tackle and even that's a bit iffy. There's no way in hell they let Mankins walk given the level he's played at and while Koppen leads something to be desired at center, he's still pretty good and really brings a lot to our line. Big no on this one.

I've been pretty critical of the Barwin stuff lately. Yeah, he's an explosive athlete who showed a lot as a pass rusher, but there's a questionable track record and he's still pretty raw. Just doesn't seem like the type of guy we bring in. Big time bust potential with Barwin. Wouldn't feel secure with that pick at all.

Why trade the next pick when we still have direct needs at corner and safety? Doesn't make any sense.

Byrd is a damn good pick but there's no way in hell he lasts that long. Why not take him with the pick you traded away? He might not even be there. He's a major riser right now and Scott has him going to us in the second and while there's no doubt I could see that happen should he be there, there's no guarantee he will.

Brinkley would be excellent and it wouldn't be too high for him. He's shed 30 pounds and looked every bit the athlete he did when he was being looked at as the best linebacker in the class a couple years ago before his injury. Not much of a chance of him lasting past the first now IMO. If he were there, I would be all for it. Perfect compliment to Mayo. Projects extremely well to the 3-4 and could be a monster for us. I would take him over Laurinaitis for us ten times out of ten.

McKillop I don't really get. He wouldn't help outside and you still haven't picked a safety, which is still a need even with Sanders. He wouldn't do much for us IMO, and he's a terrible athlete to top it all off. Not bad for a 5th round pick, but still.

No way in hell Dillard lasts till the end of the 5th. He ran much better than expected and looked good in workouts. Some team is going to fall in love with him. Would be the perfect pick, but he won't be there.

Good second day, but not a realistic one. The first day really sticks. Don't think that would set us up very well at all for next year :/

Bigburt63
03-09-2009, 10:34 PM
You have us taking alot of picks for backups/upgrades at positions that aren't really big needs yet. Gilbert and Mack would be great if we actually needed them right now (although I can see taking Gilbert due to the uncertainty of Seymour being around after this year).

Nicks at the top of the 2nd is a great pick IMO. We have very little depth at WR right now.

I'm not a huge Barwin fan, I like Sintim alot more personally. I also love the Byrd pick, as well as the Brinkley pick, although I bet he goes early 3rd at this point, maybe even sneaking into the late 2nd, as he is just tailor made for the 3-4.

Don Vito
03-10-2009, 12:26 AM
I like Gilbert, Nicks, and Mack as players but we have much bigger needs than those positions that need to be addressed first. The best pick is Jairus Byrd in the third and I highly doubt he goes any later than the mid second.

hannah73
03-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Well I'm glad you like the Byrd pick...

The reason I picked Gilbert this year is that it's a little tough to draft a rookie to start and that's what you'd be doign if you let Seymour walk. this way yo have time to see if he can actually do it before jettisoning Seymour.

CB they have Springs, Hobbs, Wilhite, Wheatley, richardson...another guy would just be thrown on the pile, not much room to start. But I did pick Byrd, who I figure could play safety too.

Safety is a little tricky as it's hard to draft a rookie who can necessarily play right away. Maybe the pats defense is too tricky. Besides I think belichick likes picking veterans for leadership back there.

Mack as trash? Haven't heard that one. They could use a guard/tackle but also need a backup center.

I'd like to see them get a NT who can backup / replace Wilfork. wilfork may want too much money and a NT who isn't as athletic but takes up a lot of space might by much cheaper and not hard to get.

OLB is tough to draft. Barwin might just be just another body thrown onto the pile behind crable, redd, woods. No point in that. But who could legitimately start? No one, most likely.

Dillar might last to the latter rounds, you never know. He doesn't have great speed and is kind of small.

Did you say Brinkley in the first? Hadn't heard him ever projected that high.

McKillop would be an ILB. Supposedly has great instincts. Beckwith from LSU is another who is kind of small but might be draftable there.

Casey from Rice wuld be a good pick, only problem is we have a ton of TEs now, although Watson will be gone soon. Maybe Casey could play OLB, he's about the same size as Barwin.

ElectricEye
03-10-2009, 11:33 AM
The reason I picked Gilbert this year is that it's a little tough to draft a rookie to start and that's what you'd be doign if you let Seymour walk. this way yo have time to see if he can actually do it before jettisoning Seymour.
Who's to say we're doing that? There's a chance Seymour walks, but we also have a pretty good chance of working something out next year.

CB they have Springs, Hobbs, Wilhite, Wheatley, richardson...another guy would just be thrown on the pile, not much room to start. But I did pick Byrd, who I figure could play safety too.
It would be an outright mistake to count on Springs. His injury issues are just too big of a deal to ignore. We would be lucky to get ten games out of him. The rest of those guys are pretty good, but do we honestly expect them to be the future? Bringing in a talented, starting caliber cornerback would be great. Byrd would be perfect, but he's not going to last that long.

Safety is a little tricky as it's hard to draft a rookie who can necessarily play right away. Maybe the pats defense is too tricky. Besides I think belichick likes picking veterans for leadership back there.
I don't think it's hard to find an upgrade over Sanders though. Most people agree that Sanders is at his best as a backup and really isn't starting material. Moore, Delmas, and Johnson would all be instant upgrades and would probably start right away.

Mack as trash? Haven't heard that one. They could use a guard/tackle but also need a backup center.
Mack is good, but not for us. Spending a second on a backup center? Why? Especially given the fact we have needs at things beyond offensive line depth.

I'd like to see them get a NT who can backup / replace Wilfork. wilfork may want too much money and a NT who isn't as athletic but takes up a lot of space might by much cheaper and not hard to get.
I don't think we'll let Wilfork walk. I'm pretty sure we would franchise him if it came down to it. He's the most important player on our defense. There's no way he's going anywhere.

OLB is tough to draft. Barwin might just be just another body thrown onto the pile behind crable, redd, woods. No point in that. But who could legitimately start? No one, most likely.
Exactly. We would be lucky to find a productive player out of one of those guys. Crable played extremely sparingly last year, didn't see much of Redd, and Woods won't ever do much besides be a quality backup one day. With Vrabel gone, we have a pressing need to find a pass rusher. You keep saying we're not going to find guys who can start for us right away. Have to disagree with that. We've found plenty of those types of guys in recent years and 3-4 OLB is one of those positions where you can find a guy to come in and make an impact right away. It would be a mistake not to pick up a guy who can put a little heat on the quarterback. We'll end up having a very weak pass rush next year if we don't and we all know where that leads.

Dillar might last to the latter rounds, you never know. He doesn't have great speed and is kind of small.
The only chance he would last beyond the 4th would have been if he ran 4.6. Put up a respectable 4.5 and had an out of this world vertical. Don't think he'll be around for very long, let alone the 5th round.

Did you say Brinkley in the first? Hadn't heard him ever projected that high.
Not the first, but the first day, or the old one anyway. He'll be gone after the third round. The main concern with him is that he was huge and had lost a lot of his athletic ability. He's slimmed down from 280+ to 255ish and really looked a lot like he used to. Perfect thumper in the 3-4.

McKillop would be an ILB. Supposedly has great instincts. Beckwith from LSU is another who is kind of small but might be draftable there.
Both of those guys will probably be gone, but Beckwith wouldn't be a good pick and McKillop would only be decent because of the value. Beckwith is undersized and has major issues getting off blocks. McKillop has similar issues, actually. Both don't project terribly well to the 3-4 and don't figure to be around that long.

Casey from Rice wuld be a good pick, only problem is we have a ton of TEs now, although Watson will be gone soon. Maybe Casey could play OLB, he's about the same size as Barwin.
Hope you aren't serious about the last line haha, but Casey would be a good pick. We have good depth at tight end, but no real starters. Casey fits in perfectly with our offense and would give us some major league versatility.

Babylon
03-10-2009, 03:19 PM
1. jarron Gilbert DE - need a replacement for the old and expensive Seymour and he has great strength and quickness.

2 a) Hakeem Nicks - Good WR, hopefully not a bust like every other WR they draft

b) Alex Mack - could play guard too in case mankins is too expensive to resign. Also need a backup center possible replacement.

c) Connor Barwin - everyone's favorte so I threw him in here. HOpefully he can be strong at the point of attack. Otherwise he's a wasted pick.

3b) supplemental - Jairus Byrd. Could play Cb or safety, great ball skills, great athlete, father was all pro CB

5. Scott McKillop ILB -

Not sure he's everyone's favorite but he's one of mine. As for strong at the point of attack he needs to get a little more upper body strength but that is nothing to worry about. His pass rushing ability at DE would be a plus for an OLB i would think.

proshoota25
03-10-2009, 04:03 PM
just saw on espn.com that the patriots have just signed leigh bodden. pretty sweet, got two veteran corners

proshoota25
03-10-2009, 04:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3968052

link

FlyingElvis
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
^ wrong thread? off the the FA/Trades thread to discuss. :)

proshoota25
03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
figured id just throw it in there cuz its the most recent one haha

hannah73
03-12-2009, 12:40 PM

5. Scott McKillop ILB -

OK, still think they need a 3-4 DE high.

so
Gilbert

2. Delmas - I pick him b/c he's similar to Meriweather and the Pats seem to like him.

2b. Robert Ayers - hopefully could play 3-4 OLB. Can at least hold the POA which is all important. Could possibly play inside. I think the patsies showed interest here too. Not that much in coverage right now maybe, but probably better than Vrabel.

2c. Jairus Byrd - I put him here b/c people say he'll be gone in the 3rd. tough though b/c the pats now have a ton of CBs springs, bodden, hobbs, wilhite, wheathley, richardson. This guy could play safety too most likely.
If the pats don't see room, then they'll maybe trade this pick or pick someone else.

3a. Eric Wood C - Louisville This guy is good and is probably better than Koppen right now. Could possibly play guard.

3b. Jaspar Brinkley - LB

4. Dillard WR - he's intelligent enough to learn the system.

Wootylicous
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
We need OL help. I would like a C and possibly a late round pick on an OT! btw Brinkley to the pats! :D

Don Vito
03-12-2009, 02:56 PM
We need OL help. I would like a C and possibly a late round pick on an OT! btw Brinkley to the pats! :D

Yeah, defense is our main concern but I would not rule out the staff falling in love with a lineman and taking him day 1 (even at 24). Dan Koppen got manhandled at times last year, especially against 3-4 teams (Jamal Williams bitched on him for an entire game). Steve Neal had a few solid years for us but he is getting pretty old and is starting to wear down and get hurt a lot. Light is still pretty good but he is aging on the left side, he still has some years left in him but he is entering his tenth season. We have a big hole at RT, Nick Kazcur isn't good and has ran into off the field trouble and Ryan O'Callaghan hasn't showed anything.

Mankins is really the only can't miss stud type of lineman we have, but he is a free agent after this season. We have very little depth to speak of, too. We better pay Mankins along with Wilfork, they are young and the anchors of our lines. Light is still solid but he is aging and has his occasional struggles. I could realistically see us taking a tackle, guard, or center as early as the first round. You never know with our staff until the pick is in.

Wootylicous
03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
and I would like to add a safety like Pegues in later rounds. He is a stud.

Don Vito
03-12-2009, 03:23 PM
We need a safety in the first two rounds I think, but I would love to pick up Pegues if he is available in the fourth or maybe as early as the third. He is a stud, he just is under the radar because he played on a team that was pretty bad and he has some character/intelligence issues. He can play FS and corner (2 time all-SEC safety, one time all-SEC corner) as well as being a stud return man.

I am curious to see if the staff plans on playing Meriweather at free or strong, he can do both the only thing he has the dropsies. He can cover a lot of ground and get to the ball, he just can't always hang on to it. Rashad Johnson is a guy who could be a great centerfielder, he is a playmaker with great range and has good hands too. Pegues is like Johnson just more athletic I think, but Johnson is a little more intelligent/instinctive and played with a better defense around him. I think we may look for a guy who can offer more against the run than Johnson/Pegues, but I would be thrilled if we picked up either of them. William Moore is an option too.

Honestly, I think the best safety for us could be Louis Delmas. He is a great leader and a very smart player who is a great tackler and hard hitter. He is solid in coverage and very good against the run, I was really impressed with him in the senior bowl.

PackLeader
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
1) Jarron Gilbert - With Wilfork approaching Free Agency; the Pats could move Ty over to nose. As he is getting older; he is gaining weight & the result is he is becoming more of a 'stout' defender.

2) Lawrence Sidbury - This kid is not a good ball player, but a good person as well; not failing to mention a good ball player as well. And with 'back-scratchers as arms;' he & Crable could be very impressive bookends for yrs to come.

3) Alex Boone - What I like most about this kid is the fact that he is 'heavy handed' & not shy about it! Throws his weight around well. For three yrs - this kid played the demanding LT spot on a line that faced tuff competition week-n-week-out. So moving over to RT should be a plausible adjustment. I love the fact he is rambunctious & plays w/ passion.

4) David Bruton - Smart, athletic DB, who could add length (6ft 3in) to the secondary.

Bigburt63
03-17-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't like the prospect of Warren at nose, he's not built to be a NT, and is much better utilized at DE where he is now. Sidbury is a major reach in the 2nd, as is Alex Boone who will be lucky to get drafted at all, nevermind in the 2nd (or 3rd, we have 3 2nd round picks). I guess I'd be ok with Gilbert in the 1st, but not by any means my favorite pick at all.

ElectricEye
03-17-2009, 09:11 PM
That's pretty terrible. Don't need Gilbert right now. So long as we don't land Peppers, we have a pretty good chance of keeping the line together. Sidbury is a nice prospect, but the value isn't there in the second. You two picks after that as well. Boone in the 3rd is completely upsetting. The talent is there but the guy is an absolute meathead who spends most of his time under the influence. Million dollar right tackle prospect, two cent brain. Not getting drafted until well into the second day. Bruton is nice, but I would rather take a more impressive safety with one of our picks you forgot...

nepg
03-19-2009, 07:47 AM
I do like Bruton for the Pats because he might not have to be relied upon right away. The rest is horrible.

With Wright re-signed, there's little-to-no need to make a desperate pick at 3-4 DE. No need to explain the others...
________
Washington medical marijuana dispensary (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

nepg
03-19-2009, 09:12 AM
This is what I've come up with so far...
1. Clay Matthews
2a. Jamon Meredith
2b. William Moore/Louis Delmas/Patrick Chung
2c. Duke Robinson
3a. Jairus Byrd/Mike Mickens/Bradley Fletcher
3b. Travis Beckum
________
HOW TO ROLL A JOINT (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

hannah73
03-19-2009, 01:43 PM
I still think they need a 3-4 DE. I know they don't need one "right away", but Seymour is gone next year if he wants 8M per and it's a little rushede to get one and expect him to play right off the bat.

I thought I read somewhere that the patsies were interested in Michael Johnson and Clay Matthews....but I can't find it anywhere.

Michael Johnson might be interesting. He has unreal strength but one report said he "didn't like contact" and gets neutralized.

nepg
03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't see any way Michael Johnson fits in a 3-4. Maybe they see him as the same type of player as Peppers and wanted to bring them both along in their scheme together?

And I do agree that they should draft a 3-4 DE, but they don't need to throw down a 1st or early 2nd on one. It'd just be annoying to hear people complain about the pick being useless when he inevitably can't get any playing time over the Pats' current Top 5 or 6 DL's (Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Green, and maybe Smith)

There are some very good options available on Day 2.
________
red head girl Webcam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/redhead-girls/)

TNPatsFan
03-19-2009, 03:25 PM
The "old" and expensive Seymour is 29 years old. Should we start giving up on guys for being too old after they hit 25 or 26?

FlyingElvis
03-19-2009, 03:35 PM
It's more a question of age + skill + cost & length of contract. Giving Seymour 8 mill per year is fine over 2 or 3 years, but is it worth it if he wants a 5 year deal? Tough call. Then again, they can always load it up on the back end and cut him w/a year or 2 left. :(

sdotcarter33
03-21-2009, 09:46 AM
My dream 2009 Patriots draft:

1.23) Aaron Maybin OLB/Penn St. (Or best available OLB pass rusher)
2.2) Alphonso Smith CB/Wake, DJ Moore CB/Vandy
2.15) William Beatty OT/UCONN (If not available explore trades/ would love to trade for a next years mid 1st to have a shot at safeties Mays or Berry.)
2.26) Jarron Gilbert DE/San Jose St (Stock is rising fast, may not be around)
3.25) Juaquin Iglesias WR/Okla.
3.Comp) Cornelius Ingram TE/Florida, Travis Beckum TE/Wisc.

Other players to consider in the later rounds of the draft:

Frantz Joesph ILB/Florida Atlantic
Jarret Dillard WR/Rice
Kory Sheets RB/Purdue (K. Faulk isn't getting any younger)
Aaron Boone OT/Ohio St
Brian Toal OLB/BC

nepg
03-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I think Beatty is strictly a LT prospect. Unless you're talking about an Alex Gibbs system, he really doesn't fit anywhere else.

I don't see Gilbert lasting that long.
________
Beststrip4You (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Beststrip4You/)

Babylon
03-21-2009, 11:59 AM
My dream 2009 Patriots draft:

1.23) Aaron Maybin OLB/Penn St. (Or best available OLB pass rusher)
2.2) Alphonso Smith CB/Wake, DJ Moore CB/Vandy
2.15) William Beatty OT/UCONN (If not available explore trades/ would love to trade for a next years mid 1st to have a shot at safeties Mays or Berry.)
2.26) Jarron Gilbert DE/San Jose St (Stock is rising fast, may not be around)
3.25) Juaquin Iglesias WR/Okla.
3.Comp) Cornelius Ingram TE/Florida, Travis Beckum TE/Wisc.

Other players to consider in the later rounds of the draft:

Frantz Joesph ILB/Florida Atlantic
Jarret Dillard WR/Rice
Kory Sheets RB/Purdue (K. Faulk isn't getting any younger)
Aaron Boone OT/Ohio St
Brian Toal OLB/BC

Like your picks even the players to consider.

Really liking Barwin over anyone else out there for that 3-4 OLB spot (and occasional TE) i'm still trying to get over him running 4.43 (by some scouts accounts) at his pro day.

sdotcarter33
03-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I think Beatty is strictly a LT prospect. Unless you're talking about an Alex Gibbs system, he really doesn't fit anywhere else.

I don't see Gilbert lasting that long.

well i would actually like to see Light moved to RT if we could ever find a suitable LT...I'm tired of seeing Light get beat by the speed rushers.

No you're right, i doubt gilbert will last the long either...we can only hope.

sdotcarter33
03-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Like your picks even the players to consider.

Really liking Barwin over anyone else out there for that 3-4 OLB spot (and occasional TE) i'm still trying to get over him running 4.43 (by some scouts accounts) at his pro day.

Thanks man

I really haven't seen enough of Barwin.....What current NFL'er would you compare him to? I do hear a lot of people ranting and raving over him though.

nepg
03-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I'd compare him to Adalius Thomas. Really tough to compare him to anyone though.
________
NitroJeff live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/NitroJeff)

Babylon
03-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks man

I really haven't seen enough of Barwin.....What current NFL'er would you compare him to? I do hear a lot of people ranting and raving over him though.

There's a lot of pretty good footage on Youtube for what it's worth.

I'd sort of compare him to a Brian Urlacher at the same stage being a guy who was a little under the radar and had unreal numbers at 6-3 and 255lbs. I guess he'd translate to an OLB at the next level, the Mike Vrabel comparison is too easy but i think Barwin would probably show a little more range than Vrabel, maybe more of a Shawn Merriman (without the juice).