PDA

View Full Version : Best 3-4 Nose Tackles

boogeydown
03-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Outside of Raji and Brace who else can play NT in the 3-4. I heard Taylor from Michigan can but I heard he's pretty bad but who else?

Yatta!
03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
After Raji and Brace, Chris Baker from Hampton and Sammie Lee Hill from Stillman would be guys to look at.

Shane P. Hallam
03-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I like Taylor as a NT if he just improves his run defense. Won't ever be a starter likely, but could develop.

Flippityskip91
03-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Talyor has good bulk and strength. I'd rather have Sammie Lee though.

gpngc
03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Outside of Raji and Brace who else can play NT in the 3-4. I heard Taylor from Michigan can but I heard he's pretty bad but who else?

I think Moala could put on some weight and play NT. He's listed at 305ish but who knows what he's capable of getting to. He's got all the tools to play 0. 4-3 is a better fit though.

Chris Baker of Hampton is up to 326 and he's quick as hell for that size but I'm not sure he's best suited to be a 0-tech guy in a 3-4. He's probably still more of a penetrator than a clogger eating up blocks.

T. Taylor has undeniable skill and could be a decent player despite what you've heard but he's better off as a nose in a 4-3 I think. Could probably fit in the 3-4 too I guess.

Roy Miller is a darkhorse NT. He's around 310 but he's short, stocky, and strong. Probably more of a penetrator also, but hey- who the hell thought Jay Ratliff could play NT coming out of Auburn?

Myron Pryor of Kentucky is another candidate, but again, he's not your typical immovable force-type lineman.

M. Favorite of LSU is another Ratliff-NT-sleeper type. He's talented, but never put it all together for the Tigers.

As for your traditional NTs:

Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman
Terrance Knighton, Temple
Khalif Mitchell, ECU
Dorell Scott, Clemson (probably better as 4-3 NT)
Antonio Dixon, Miami Fl.
Brandon Setzer, ECU

BeerBaron
03-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm assuming you want just 3-4 NTs yes? If so my list goes

Raji
Brace
Chris Baker
Terrence Knighton
Sammie Lee Hill
Myron Pryor
Marlon Favorite

All have the size you look for at the position for sure.

I think Terrance Taylor and Roy Miller have a shot, but I think they'd better off as NT's in a 4-3.

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Roy Miller can definately pull it off, I can see him being a great NT in a 3-4 or 4-3 honestly...He holds own at the point of attack and can split double teams, could also depend on if the 3-4 team is running a 1 gap or 2 gap technique but I like his fit.

phlysac
03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Everyone keeps mentioning Sammie Lee Hill. From what I've seen his intention isn't to be a NT. He played DE at Stillman and has continued to list himself as a DE in all of the offseason programs. Just because a guy has the "measurables" of a NT doesn't make him a good NT prospect. He does, however have those measurables so I'm sure teams may project him inside.

The best 3-4 NT prospect IMO are Raji and Pryor. Both of those players have a more penetrating style which doesn't fit a 0 Technique but several 3-4's are using a one gap approach, which I feel they'd perform well in.

BeerBaron
03-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Everyone keeps mentioning Sammie Lee Hill. From what I've seen his intention isn't to be a NT. He played DE at Stillman and has continued to list himself as a DE in all of the offseason programs. Just because a guy has the "measurables" of a NT doesn't make him a good NT prospect. He does, however have those measurables so I'm sure teams may project him inside.

The best 3-4 NT prospect IMO are Raji and Pryor. Both of those players have a more penetrating style which doesn't fit a 0 Technique but several 3-4's are using a one gap approach, which I feel they'd perform well in.

He can list himself at RB for all I care, if an NFL team looks at him and sees him as a good 3-4 NT and wants to pay him to play there, he'll learn it. He'll do it.

Sniper
03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Terrance Taylor is so damn mediocre that it's maddening. He seriously lacks explosiveness, speed, and agility. Pretty good against the run, very little pass rush.

brat316
03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
what about Terrance Knighton from .....TEMPLE. Hes 330 pretty wide body guy, and he gets in the backfield, also a fat ass that just sits there. Literally he just shits there sometimes as the Rb goes by him. But on pass downs he gets there. Once in a while he gets to the rb and when he does, he comes up with a fumble.

phlysac
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
He can list himself at RB for all I care, if an NFL team looks at him and sees him as a good 3-4 NT and wants to pay him to play there, he'll learn it. He'll do it.

OBVIOUSLY. My point is that alot of people throw him into the NT mix when his style of play isn't that of a 3-4 NT.

BeerBaron
03-10-2009, 08:26 PM
what about Terrance Knighton from .....TEMPLE. Hes 330 pretty wide body guy, and he gets in the backfield, also a fat ass that just sits there. Literally he just shits there sometimes as the Rb goes by him. But on pass downs he gets there. Once in a while he gets to the rb and when he does, he comes up with a fumble.

If you would have checked just a few posts up.....

I'm assuming you want just 3-4 NTs yes? If so my list goes

Raji
Brace
Chris Baker
Terrence Knighton
Sammie Lee Hill
Myron Pryor
Marlon Favorite

And seriously, I couldn't tell from your tone if you were serious about what you were saying or sarcastic....it looked like both.

SenorGato
03-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Roy Miller can definately pull it off, I can see him being a great NT in a 3-4 or 4-3 honestly...He holds own at the point of attack and can split double teams, could also depend on if the 3-4 team is running a 1 gap or 2 gap technique but I like his fit.

Yea, I really like Roy Miller as a NT in either scheme. Texas DT...

I like Terrence Taylor if a team will kick him in the butt.

Lee Hill is a DE in a 3-4.

Adrian Grady is my favorite sleeper. Kelly Gregg of the draft...

BeerBaron
03-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Yea, I really like Roy Miller as a NT in either scheme. Texas DT...

I like Terrence Taylor if a team will kick him in the butt.

Lee Hill is a DE in a 3-4.

Adrian Grady is my favorite sleeper. Kelly Gregg of the draft...

This is still an ignorant statement in my opinion. Like I said in my earlier comments, if a team looks at him and sees his size and thinks he'll make a good NT, he'll play there. You do what a team is paying you to do.

killxswitch
03-11-2009, 09:33 AM

He was moved to DE in college to make better use of his athleticism. That was against Stillman-level competition, so the move made sense. In the NFL his athleticism will be nice but it won't be higher than most "real" 3-4 DEs. He will be a DT of some sort, whether that is in a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme.

SenorGato
03-11-2009, 02:19 PM
This is still an ignorant statement in my opinion. Like I said in my earlier comments, if a team looks at him and sees his size and thinks he'll make a good NT, he'll play there. You do what a team is paying you to do.

True enough...if he were on my team I'd just have him as "DL" and wherever he takes snap at is where he takes snaps.