PDA

View Full Version : UFL

Splat
03-10-2009, 11:18 PM
What are you thoughts on the upstart UFL football league (insert XFL joke here) but really what do you think.

Fail?

Some news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner

"Head coaches for the UFL's four teams have been named, and they're people you've heard of (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29603897/). Jim Fassel's coaching the Vegas team, Dennis Green is coaching the San Francisco team, Jim Haslett's coaching the Orlando squad, and Ted Cottrell is the guy in New York."

El Peefs?????
03-10-2009, 11:20 PM
A smashing success if they sign He Hate Me.

fenikz
03-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Vick goes to Vegas and ill root for them

HawkeyeFan
03-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I forget, who was/is He Hate Me, I thought he was playing in the NFL now...

Giantsfan1080
03-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Rod Smart is his name.

Splat
03-10-2009, 11:26 PM
I forget, who was/is He Hate Me, I thought he was playing in the NFL now...

His real name is Rod Smart I'm not sure if he is still in the NFL or not?

El Peefs?????
03-10-2009, 11:29 PM
He was the Panthers return man for awhile. I don't remember hearing his name at all recently though, he probably got cut.

Xonraider
03-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I doubt this league has much success unless they add people like Michael Vick and Pacman Jones, which might make it ... live ... for some years.

Hawk
03-10-2009, 11:39 PM
And the legend that was Eric Crouch shall return...

M.O.T.H.
03-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Pacman is destined to land here as their biggest star.

Once Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick get out of jail...watch out!

tjsunstein
03-11-2009, 12:39 AM
If they get Mike Vick then itll generate some interest. Every outcast will go there, some AFL players that were awesome.

Ward
03-11-2009, 12:41 AM
There is enough interest out there to support 2 professional leagues. The problem has been too much gimmick and not enough substance, and running out of money. This league doesn't look like it will have either of those problems. I'm predicting success, although I don't see them scaring the NFL for a decade at least, if ever. I just think they're going to stick around in some capacity for a lot longer than that. Somebody has to.

CJSchneider
03-11-2009, 07:43 AM

Carter played for the Arena II team here is Bossier City, where I live, for a little while. He got busted; couldn't even keep it together in the arena league.

vikes_28
03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
It looks legit. I think Akili Smith should go there. OH wait! He couldn't even handle it in NFL Europe.

diabsoule
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm hoping this succeeds. And I'm surprised Haslett couldn't find a job in the NFL somewhere.

M.O.T.H.
03-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah but, there are only four teams? That will probably hold my interest for a short while but, I doubt I'd watch every week. I understand the risk in going balls to the wall, per se and making it like an eight or more team league but, four? blah.

I guess the selling point for me will end up being all about the talent. I loved watching the XFL because of the great Jon Avery. haha.

Hollywood
03-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I am rooting for this league. Roger Goodell is trying his hard to truly make it the No Fun League, and he is succeeding in a lot of ways. The NFL has become all about marketing too, which annoys me greatly.

This league needs three leagues to help it succeed:

1. Let them entertain us. Dance, celebrate, do whatever just let them entertain us in what is supposed to be a game about entertainment.
2. Let them play hard and physical. Don't make so many rules protecting the golden boy QB's, if they are going to play football let them get hit too.
3. No dictatorship

YAYareaRB
03-11-2009, 12:32 PM
QB - Quincy Carter
HB - Rod Smart

Recipee for Success

senormysterioso
03-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I really hope that this league is like what the XFL was supposed to be except on steroids...I mean literally on steroids. Mandatory steroid injections for every player. Who isn't going to tune into see two teams of 'roid raging freaks kicking each others skulls in.

Menardo75
03-11-2009, 12:42 PM
It won't survive very long no league does with the NFL around.

brat316
03-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Is this the league with Mark Qubien has one of the owners?

And they were trying to run it for like 3 months, before the NFL league starts so some guys can make it on NFL teams?

Its already better than the XFL they have NFL coaches. As long as its good and entertaining it'll be a success, but thats very hard to do. It needs to be better than the SEC football, in order for people to give attention to it. Have to have some stand out players. Also it can't turn football into a joke like XFL did.

M.O.T.H.
03-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Yup this is the Cuban one...the one where he said he sees them taking potential draftees away from NFL teams. They can always offer the 2nd day pick more money and playing time. But it sure would seem like a pretty bad idea, though for that player, imo. But maybe if this thing lasts they can snag a few guys.

brat316
03-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Yup this is the Cuban one...the one where he said he sees them taking potential draftees away from NFL teams. They can always offer the 2nd day pick more money.

ahah....I think they are going to end up picking up the second day left overs and guys who get cut after training camp. If they have a chance to play in the NFL, why give it up for the money? There probably are guys who will go for the money.

brat316
03-11-2009, 01:08 PM
They are going to fail, I read that they are starting the season in September, games begin in October and its 6 games.

M.O.T.H.
03-11-2009, 01:11 PM
The first year, possibily the only year, is obviously just a test or a feeling out period. They were going to go with 8 teams but, that didnt seem too smart, given the economy.

brat316
03-11-2009, 01:19 PM
yeah one thing they try and do is stick with the rules and not make up non sense rules like the XFL did. ahah every other week they would modify a rule.

diabsoule
03-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I think the league would be better off starting in March and going until the summer months. It would compete with baseball but I'd much rather watch Division II football than major league baseball any day.

If they could expand to eight teams, which I'm sure they could (Memphis, Birmingham, Oklahoma City, Portland, Orlando, San Antonio, any mid major market) depending on the interest of the city and who they could find as a owner could do wonders. They wouldn't be competing with the NFL since it'd be in the offseason and they could probably receive a nice amount of viewers on television due to how infatuated the nation is with football.

Crickett
03-11-2009, 01:50 PM
yeah one thing they try and do is stick with the rules and not make up non sense rules like the XFL did. ahah every other week they would modify a rule.

IMO, they need to do three things.

They need to not use 5 yard no contact rule.
They need to not have calls that could be described as "ticky tack".
They need to go with the college football overtime system.

That could help distinguish them without having novelty rules like the XFL did.

Ward
03-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I think the league would be better off starting in March and going until the summer months. It would compete with baseball but I'd much rather watch Division II football than major league baseball any day.

If they could expand to eight teams, which I'm sure they could (Memphis, Birmingham, Oklahoma City, Portland, Orlando, San Antonio, any mid major market) depending on the interest of the city and who they could find as a owner could do wonders. They wouldn't be competing with the NFL since it'd be in the offseason and they could probably receive a nice amount of viewers on television due to how infatuated the nation is with football.

Yeah throw in Tulsa and Austin as two more cities that could support a lesser football team. Little Rock possibly as well.

bored of education
03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Maybe the Lions, Chiefs, Rams and Raiders can join this league.

GB12
03-11-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm hoping this succeeds. And I'm surprised Haslett couldn't find a job in the NFL somewhere.
I'm sure he had a number of job offers, it's just that he'd rather be a head coach than a position coach even if it's at a lower level.

Brent
03-11-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/020582.html

The most interesting thing I took away - and what ultimately may distinguish this football league from failed predecessors - is that it isn't trying to take on the NFL but rather compliment it. When NFL Europe folded last year, the NFL lost a valuable tool for developing players. The UFL seeks to fill that niche. The idea, as explained by Commissioner Michael Huyghue, is to work with the NFL to help develop and showcase future Kurt Warners and David Patten's. "I think the robust feeling that 'we're going to take the NFL on' is a foolish ploy," Huyghue said.

Each of the four teams will have an affiliation with NFL divisions. The SF franchise, for example, will get first dibs on players cut by teams in the NFC and AFC West. Orlando will have the same relationship with the NFC and AFC South, New York with the East divisions and Las Vegas with the North. The UFL will experiment with gadgets - GPS devices inside footballs, cameras to document halftime speeches - but the rules won't stray far from NFL rules. Huyghue said that once the UFL season is over on Thanksgiving, players from that league will be free to sign with any NFL team. The UFL believes its value will come from developing quarterbacks. "Where do you go right now if you're a third quarterback?" Huyghue said. "How do you get that opportunity?"
They are going to work with the NFL and become like an NFL Europe but in America. Great idea.

brat316
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
yeah thats smart, and i always wondered about the GPS thing in the football why they never tried it.

The Unseen
03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
I think this will work. It will give America more football and help support the main system of football.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Vick in this league=success.

diabsoule
03-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Yeah throw in Tulsa and Austin as two more cities that could support a lesser football team. Little Rock possibly as well.

The cities they've started in are great. Las Vegas, Orlando, SF, and NY are all great expansion cities, esp. Vegas and Orlando.

The amount of cities that could support an upstart football league are many, however, what could serve the new league well is if new teams were created in cities that already have stadiums available to play in.

I've broken down expansion cities based on population, stadiums, and any kind of prior attendance I could go on (college, USFL, CFL, etc...). This isn't as in-depth as some of you may like but it's a loose record.

Expansion Elite

Los Angeles, CA - Has there ever been a list that didn't rank LA as #1? Location? Check. Population? Check. Stadium? Check. Success of prior professional football teams? Errr. Let me get back to you on that one.
Memphis, TN - Has great prior attendance records (had one of the best USFL attendance records), has Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium (62,000+ seating), and is a good location as the closest professional team is in Nashville.
San Antonio, TX - One of the most populous cities without a professional football team. There is the Alamodome, which is rarely used through the spring and summer months and is perfect for football. Had a bad run in the USFL, but there were few teams that were ran well.
Birmingham, AL - boasts Legion Field which was home of better run USFL franchises and which drew in a considerable amount of fans. While old, it is still very much usuable, and the state of Alabama has some of the most rabid football fans in the country.

Close Yet Far

Salt Lake City, UT - The population of the city is one that should warrant NFL expansion consideration. BYU and Utah have great football attendance and both have nice stadiums that could be played in. Arena league football was big in the city. There is also Rio Tinto Soccer Stadium which could be converted for football games if allowed. Would be in the Elite category if not for the fact there isn't an outright football stadium allowed that isn't owned by a university.
Columbus, OH - Always a great place for football, very good population base, and has the facilities, however, more places are ideal.
El Paso, TX - Holds the population, yet has no prior professional experience with any teams. It does have a stadium in the Sun Bowl so should receive immediate consideration.
Louisville, KY - Great location which can pull people from both Louisville, KY and Cincinnati, OH. Could play at either Cardinal Stadium or Papa John's Stadium. Has some previous professional football exposure. More desirable markets exist, however.

On The Brink

Virginia Beach, VA - Great population on the VA peninsula which has Hampton Roads, VA Beach, Norfolk, etc... all located nearby. Has a nice history of professional soccer yet no football stadium. The only thing that could help them out is if Foreman Field on the campus of Old Dominion University is upgraded (which is in the works) and a franchise is allowed to play there.
Albuquerque, NM - Good population and would make for a natural rivalry if a team was located in El Paso, TX. Problem is no prior experience with professional teams (only minor league like most cities), and outside of University Stadium, would have no place to play.
Austin, TX - Has no professional football experience. If a deal could be worked out between UT and an Austin based UFL franchise then the Austin team could play at Darrell K. Royal Texas Stadium, where the Longhorns play. A franchise here and in San Antonio would make for a natural rivalry, esp. if an Austin franchise is forced to play in the Alamodome.

Outlook Uncertain

Portland, OR - Has a couple of options. It's a very populous city with only one professional franchise. If a football team wanted to play in the actual city of Portland then PGE Park is about the only venue they could play at. The closest stadium is Reser Stadium in Corvallis.
San Jose, CA - Great population base but I'm not sure how it would handle a professional football franchise although it does have the facilities.
Milwaukee, WI - Great population and is located in a state where football fever is always high. Problem is finding a place to play.

There were other cities I could consider and I'm sure there are some that people would like for me to list, and if you want one listed just let me know and I could do it, but the aforementioned, minus cities like Houston, Chicago, Boston, and Miami, probably represent the best cities for the UFL to expand and compete with the NFL.

El Peefs?????
03-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I would rather have a team in this league than have the Lions.

Kurve
03-11-2009, 05:48 PM
from what i hear this league will get most of the players what will be cut from the nfl and all the players are able to play in the nfl once the season ends which is around thanksgiving. So youll might see some NFL transactions that occur if players do well and seeing a team in mid season picking up a few players during the second part of the nfl season. Also i think this will develope certain coaches. I think it can work especially if it doesnt conflict with the nfl that much if players can freely go from this league to the nfl with out contract disputes with there UFL teams youll see more players willing to come in and play and maybe develop.

gameplaya2435
03-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Bring back the XFL brawl for possession. Kickoffs are for pussies!

SuperMcGee
03-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I'd like to check it out, see a lot more players and how their games go. Impressive coaches for this. Plus, where there's Ted Cottrell, there's TJ Cottrell. Muff State represent.

Philliez01
03-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Cannot wait to see Justin Rascati bombing it to Bobby Sippio......

Smokey Joe
03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I really hope this succeeds. Hopefully when/if this gets into high gear there will be about 16 teams and perhaps even this becoming an official minor league of the NFL. I think the timing of the season is good as well. I think they should make the games on Thursday night and have the season end right before thanksgiving (like it is already planned to). That way all it has to compete with is some of the less interesting college football games they usually put on ESPN. On Friday night they'd have to compete with high school football. Also, having it end right before thanksgiving is brilliant, IMO. Right after thanksgiving is when the playoff races really get interesting, but a lot of players get banged up, and there could be some BIG FA signings coming out that help teams.

This could be big, and make things even more interesting and fun, IMO.

sbh15
03-12-2009, 09:35 PM
I think Chris Leak is supposed to be in this. Automatic win.

El Peefs?????
03-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I think Chris Leak is supposed to be in this. Automatic win.

For the team that hes playing against?

Boosh

TimD
03-12-2009, 09:38 PM

Lol, had an awesome discussion about Quincy Carter earlier today...

http://pyleoflist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/quincy-carter.gif

http://www.valleycentral.com/uploadedimages/kgbt/News/Stories/Quincy%20Carter%20Mugshot.jpg

Talk about a fall from greatness.

Im_a_Romosexual
03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Talk about a fall from greatness.

He was great?

TimD
03-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Idk with the picture, greatness felt like a good word to use. Makes the fall seem even bigger.

Hurricanes25
03-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I think this league will be around for a while. As long as it is not compared to the NFL it should do fine. I would love to see guys like Chris Leak and Jared Zabransky get another shot to play professionally.

Xonraider
03-12-2009, 09:49 PM
When is this league going to start? Like mid September? When will the games be played? Because Sundays its NFL, saturdays its college and then fridays is High School

TimD
03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
When is this league going to start? Like mid September? When will the games be played? Because Sundays its NFL, saturdays its college and then fridays is High School

I wish it could be during the summer, but I doubt that happens. That's when players are still trying to make NFL rosters. Maybe have Tuesdays-Thursdays during the NFL reg season. If it was on ESPN it could probably do okay.

Hurricanes25
03-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I wish it could be during the summer, but I doubt that happens. That's when players are still trying to make NFL rosters. Maybe have Tuesdays-Thursdays during the NFL reg season. If it was on ESPN it could probably do okay.

I would love it if they played their games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights during the NFL season.

Shane P. Hallam
03-12-2009, 09:56 PM
It should be interesting. Bringing in some older college players who failed in the NFL (Crouch, Couch, Leak, etc). Unfortunately, the USFL may steal some or most of those. The UFL is saying they only want players with under 3 years of NFL experience. Their draft will be in April.

Scott should have some coverage!

http://www.ufl-football.com/blog/2009/02/16/live_chat_with_commissioner_michael_huyghue

brat316
03-13-2009, 11:15 AM
It should be interesting. Bringing in some older college players who failed in the NFL (Crouch, Couch, Leak, etc). Unfortunately, the USFL may steal some or most of those. The UFL is saying they only want players with under 3 years of NFL experience. Their draft will be in April.

http://www.ufl-football.com/blog/2009/02/16/live_chat_with_commissioner_michael_huyghue

USFL doesn't exist anymore

NVM they are coming back Spring 2010, if the NFL Owners scew things up....well here comes the USFL

diabsoule
03-13-2009, 12:23 PM

I had no idea that there were plans to bring the USFL back. I can understand why, I guess, but with the stigma that the old USFL had on it, it's unusual. I guess the people behind this resurrection feel that enough time has passed that most people will have forgotten about the corruption and mismanagement that plagued the old USFL.

So, individual cities haven't been announced for teams but the USFL is supposed to have 12 teams and play a 16 game season.

Teams will be in the following states:

Western Division
2 California
Texas
Louisiana (Baton Rouge, Shreveport, or New Orleans)
Nevada
Oregon (Portland)

Eastern Division
Florida
Alabama (Birmingham)
New York (Albany)
Michigan
Ohio
Arkansas

Head coach & GM of the Alabama team is Jackie Sherrill, if anyone remembers him. Very solid coach back in the day but was known for recruiting violations.

They also have some strange rules:

• No Touchbacks. If the ball goes out of the endzone on the kickoff then it will be spotted at the 15 yard line.
• Field goals of 51 yars or more will be worth 4 points
• Safeties will be worth 4 points
• No kneel downs
• Overtime, same as college
• A three point PAT from 10 yards out
• One foot inbounds for a catch

It's a very interesting website that explains their working out cable deals to show games on major networks, etc...

Season will run from February to June.

http://www.newusfl.com/index.html