PDA

View Full Version : Where Will Percy Harvin Be Drafted

RCAChainGang
03-11-2009, 08:41 AM
How far could he fall/rise. What teams would think on taking him.

ammandss
03-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Jets. They needs some explosive offensive player and a receiver. I could see them drafting Josh Freeman though as another possibility.

thenewfeature06
03-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Im sure the Jets want a big wideout...not somebody like harvin..i can see harvin in either INDY or MIN

Thecollegedropout
03-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Hopefully not on the Jets............

killxswitch
03-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Not Indy. Hopefully someone takes him before #27 and doesn't tempt Polian.

Flyboy
03-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Top 20 would be my guess.

Matthew Jones
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
In my latest mock draft, I have him going in the early second round, although I definitely think a team like the Colts might take him.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
He's an interesting player. He's a guy that you want to have the ball, but his injury history and character are definite drawbacks. I'd have him going to the end of the 1st/early 2nd, but given the talent level he could very well go much higher. My thing is, every year there are talented guys who bust because they can't get their ego's/attitude out of the way, and the more those guys turn into nothing but trouble, the further those guys will fall. It will be a team that can risk the risk/reward, or knows that they are getting a steal....which is the late 1st/early 2nd.

I don't want him on the Jets, i'll put that out there now. Given what the team needs, he doesn't fit the mold. I'm also not a guy who wants ego on the team, so i don't see any real match (except for gamebreaker ability, but i'd rather take a safer approach).

Komp
03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=The Great Jonathan Vilma;1540846]He's an interesting player. He's a guy that you want to have the ball, but his injury history and character are definite drawbacks. QUOTE]

To be honest I was unaware that Harvin had character concerns. I always thought he seemed to carry himself well. That aside I seem him going late 1st - early 2nd rd, unless an OC falls in love with his versatility.

Babylon
03-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I think he's a perfect fit for the Patriots, they have the luxury of having 3 second round picks to address LB or other positions so Harvin would be an ideal 1st for them. The guy can do a lot of things on the field, he immediately becomes their 3rd receiver, top return man, and wildcat guy out of the backfield. Working with a weak arm QB in college i think we dont really know the potential of this guy yet.

CC.SD
03-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I think he's a perfect fit for the Patriots, they have the luxury of having 3 second round picks to address LB or other positions so Harvin would be an ideal 1st for them. The guy can do a lot of things on the field, he immediately becomes their 3rd receiver, top return man, and wildcat guy out of the backfield. Working with a weak arm QB in college i think we dont really know the potential of this guy yet.

You're really gonna try and sneak this through, huh? :D

Race for the Heisman
03-11-2009, 02:14 PM
He's an interesting player. He's a guy that you want to have the ball, but his injury history and character are definite drawbacks. QUOTE]

To be honest I was unaware that Harvin had character concerns. I always thought he seemed to carry himself well. That aside I seem him going late 1st - early 2nd rd, unless an OC falls in love with his versatility.

I'm with Komp. What are these character concerns you speak of (aside from coming from Florida)?

MarioPalmer
03-11-2009, 02:39 PM

Not like he is lying is he?

CC.SD
03-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Not like he is lying is he?

How can you even tell, it's tough to watch his games when the announcers fog up the screen with heavy breathing.

roscoesdad27
03-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Not Indy. Hopefully someone takes him before #27 and doesn't tempt Polian.

he would be great in indy...he's a mismatch nightmare and peyton will find a way to abuse him in pre-snap adjustments.

1) he would be a very good #2 w.r. and allow gonzalez to stay in the slot.

2) he can line up at r.b. 6-10 times a game and give you guys a nice 3rd down/ change of pace back....this is where peyton can really abuse him with pre-snap reads...line him up at r.b. then motion out to w.r. or line him up at w.r. and motion him into the backfield...wherever the mismatch is peyton will find it.

3) he runs the wildcat extremely well and could give you guys some options there.

4) he can develope into an elite return guy

5) he could be a great decoy and open up things for the rest of your offense ala reggie bush....bring him in motion like a reverse and watch the middle open for the r.b.'s....flash a bubble screen and watch the secondary open up for gonzalez...teams have to respect his playmaking ability every play which makes him a perfect decoy.

roscoesdad27
03-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Hopefully not on the Jets............

I agree...he would be redundant to leon washington.

Babylon
03-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Didnt get it by you did i? I am not an anti Tebow guy but he isnt a strong arm Qb, is that even in doubt?

hagy34
03-11-2009, 03:23 PM
22. To Minnesota.

batsandgats
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
he would be great in indy...he's a mismatch nightmare and peyton will find a way to abuse him in pre-snap adjustments.

1) he would be a very good #2 w.r. and allow gonzalez to stay in the slot.

2) he can line up at r.b. 6-10 times a game and give you guys a nice 3rd down/ change of pace back....this is where peyton can really abuse him with pre-snap reads...line him up at r.b. then motion out to w.r. or line him up at w.r. and motion him into the backfield...wherever the mismatch is peyton will find it.

3) he runs the wildcat extremely well and could give you guys some options there.

4) he can develope into an elite return guy

5) he could be a great decoy and open up things for the rest of your offense ala reggie bush....bring him in motion like a reverse and watch the middle open for the r.b.'s....flash a bubble screen and watch the secondary open up for gonzalez...teams have to respect his playmaking ability every play which makes him a perfect decoy.
gonzalez shouldnt strictly be a slot receiver, i see him as a #2 receiver now, i can see harvin in a reggie bush role

roscoesdad27
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
gonzalez shouldnt strictly be a slot receiver, i see him as a #2 receiver now, i can see harvin in a reggie bush role

even better then...harvin can be a good #2 w.r. or dynamic in the slot.

tylerb929
03-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Gonzalez has proved so far that he is better out wide than in the slot. In fact, there were many instances last year where Gonzalez and Harrison would be out wide and Wayne would play the slot, and that formation proved to be the most successful.

JT Jag
03-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Although someone will surely pull the trigger on him in the first, it's hard for me to consider Percy as a first rounder. He has good speed, but so many problems with his game.

1. He is one of the least polished route runners in the draft
2. He's undersized, which leads to him being
3. Injury prone

If you're ok with Harvin as a poor-man's Reggie Bush and you think someone like that is worth a first rounder, all power to you. If you draft him expecting him to develop into a Pro Bowl-caliber wide receiver, prepare to be sorely disappointed.

Geo
03-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't see why the Jets would take Harvin, if Heyward-Bey is on the board.

Yet I don't see Harvin reaching the Colts' pick.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm with Komp. What are these character concerns you speak of (aside from coming from Florida)?

Well, they aren't anything i saw on television, but I have heard from one place or another that he has a fairly big ego - leading to a sense of entitlement that has led him to talk down to coaches (and as a result doesn't take well to hard coaching - thus probably requires more of a players coach). He was suspended in high school and college (for unsportsmanlike consuct, inappropriate language and improper contact with an office. Apparently he 'identifies' with the 757 Virginia Beach neighborhood (brought Lawrence Taylor, Michael Vick, DeAngelo Hall - great players but have some 'issues'). These things have apparently lead some to be rubbed the wrong way - thus who knows about his 'team' approach, etc.

How many of these things are true? I would be open to someone letting me know, but i have read them in well respected magazines and from respected analysts on the television.

These things don't necessarily mean anything definitely negative, and they may be overblown, but like i said, my personal opinion leads me to not want him on the Jets....but someone will certainly go after the elite talent and very possibly get a bargain.

MNRunLeft
03-11-2009, 10:06 PM
I think he'd be great for the Vikings. AD, Berrian and Harvin would give the offense 3 home run threats that each bring unique skill sets to the table. Not to mention the Vikings need for a return man.

CC.SD
03-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Didnt get it by you did i? I am not an anti Tebow guy but he isnt a strong arm Qb, is that even in doubt?

Come on, it's good enough to throw a FB option pass, why you gotta be hatin?

BeerBaron
03-11-2009, 10:51 PM
To the Colts in the first at the absolute latest imo

BBIB
03-12-2009, 07:01 PM
He's an interesting player. He's a guy that you want to have the ball, but his injury history and character are definite drawbacks.

LOL percy Harvin has CHARACTER issues?

As far as his draft status he probably will be picked in the teens and 20s because of concerns of his health and perhaps the lack of success of previous UF WRs

TT Gator
03-13-2009, 04:18 AM
Jets. They needs some explosive offensive player and a receiver. I could see them drafting Josh Freeman though as another possibility.

Like he said #17 NY Jets. Sorry to the haters but NY needs a #1 receiver and since Crabtree and Maclin are gone they choose one in Coles' mold(only Harvins younger, faster, and has more big playmaking ability) I don't know what's up with all the hate but Harvin can score anytime he gets the ball period. He can take a WR screen thats heading no where and turn it into a first down or TD. He can line up at RB and be lightning to Jones' thunder. He can cut up the field burn the CB and score a 60 yard TD. You get it? I understand I guess cuz he's had injury problems(which he only missed 3 games) didn't have a real set position in college, and didn't get as many stats at WR cuz of it. But comeon watch the tape when he gets the ball he makes other players look like children and not just with his speed but breaking takles, pulling jukes, and making cuts few can at that speed oh and he's got damn good hands and can return too. I like DHB as much as the next guy he has ton of potential and I wouldn't be super upset if they got him but he's never played in big games, againest top competition, or had a team depend on him. Percy has been through those experiances 2 BCS Natl. Championships for cryin out loud and while I think DHB will have a good career it will take time for him to adjust from being Mr. Underused at Maryland to Mr.#1 receiver for who gets him. The Jets need someone who can produce right away to give confidence to their young QB. Also just to varify where i'm at wit the Jets 1st round pick QB theory i'm very againest it. Either way their looking at a young QB why not pick up a #1 receiver to help your guy then get a 1st round rookie QB who'll have few targets. If its the 3rd round sure pick one up take a chance he's a diamond in the rough and let him compete with the others or sign a free agent.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Harvin is gonna be the truth in the NFL. The dude has been preparing for a pro career since HS.
How many receivers do you know that bench 400+ pounds?
And compared to LT, Charles Haley, Deangelo, Plax, and Vick, Percy was a choir boy as a prep in Virginia Beach.

He's on the short list for offensive rookie of the year if he stays healthy, and he's a much smarter runner than Reggie Bush.

It will be criminal if he slides to Indy!!!

Percy is Eddie Royal times 5.

TT Gator
03-13-2009, 05:17 AM
Although someone will surely pull the trigger on him in the first, it's hard for me to consider Percy as a first rounder. He has good speed, but so many problems with his game.

1. He is one of the least polished route runners in the draft
2. He's undersized, which leads to him being
3. Injury prone

If you're ok with Harvin as a poor-man's Reggie Bush and you think someone like that is worth a first rounder, all power to you. If you draft him expecting him to develop into a Pro Bowl-caliber wide receiver, prepare to be sorely disappointed.

You ppl crack me up you never even picked a team man you just came to bash Harvin. I could make the same list with Crabtree or any other WR with weakness' which is ugh every one. Come on how can you honestly say he WON'T be a Pro Bowler i'm not sayin he's a lock or anything cuz I don't claim to know but dude hasen't even been drafted yet speaking of pulling the trigger thats what you've done right there. Poor man's Reggie Bush? Why isen't Reggie a poor-man's Percy Harvin. Bush has been mediocre since he came to the Pros(ranks better as a WR than RB his position). I don't see Harvin rushing the ball as much as in college in the pros any way. Under sized? 5'11 192? Pleaz. Maclin's 1 inch taller and 6 pounds heavier what about him? Your other 2 are kinda true although blown out of proportion. He isen't weak he benchs 400 pounds, has played through many injuries, and only missed 3 games in college. He's not the best route runner but has time to work on that and isen't close to worst. I'm not trying to attack you personally or nothing i'm just sick and tired of all the negative "ohh hes not a first rounder" "he'll bust in the pros def" crap. Guess what no one knows, thats your opinion not a fact and if he's picked in the 1st guess what? he's a first rounder! Curry, Crabtree, and Stafford could all bust. I'm an SEC fan i've seen the games I know how Harvin played WR and RB in the fastest conference in the NCAA. As long as you give him the ball, however you do it, the guy will produce. Hey NY will take him just watch.

sbh15
03-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Yeah.... uh Percy has absolutely zero concern about character. And I don't see how he isn't a 1st rounder on talent alone.

thetedginnshow
03-13-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm very interested to hear more about Percy's character in the coming weeks since it's been talked about several times in various places about him talking down to coaches or not being an especially team-oriented guy and all that. Sorry that I can't trust the Florida fans and Percy lovers.

Also, does anyone know if Percy's injury late this past season was related to that condition about tearing the muscle from the bone or whatever? I heard him in a couple interviews say he got that condition fixed and didn't have any injuries his Senior season, so I didn't know if he was making a joke, he's just stupid, he was talking about HS, or I misheard, so if someone could clear that up.

EDIT: http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Scouting+Combine/2009/rock021909.htm

There's an example of someone questioning his character in case people are wondering where it's coming from.

Just to counter that though, I saw that in '07 he was a member of the Leadership Committee. Also, he was a member of the Goodwill Gators volunteering with the Children's Miracle Network.

EDIT2: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/01/15/harvin-spikes/

That mildly explains the HS incident.

BBIB
03-13-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm very interested to hear more about Percy's character in the coming weeks since it's been talked about several times in various places about him talking down to coaches or not being an especially team-oriented guy and all that. Sorry that I can't trust the Florida fans and Percy lovers.

Also, does anyone know if Percy's injury late this past season was related to that condition about tearing the muscle from the bone or whatever? I heard him in a couple interviews say he got that condition fixed and didn't have any injuries his Senior season, so I didn't know if he was making a joke, he's just stupid, he was talking about HS, or I misheard, so if someone could clear that up.

EDIT: http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Scouting+Combine/2009/rock021909.htm

There's an example of someone questioning his character in case people are wondering where it's coming from.

Just to counter that though, I saw that in '07 he was a member of the Leadership Committee. Also, he was a member of the Goodwill Gators volunteering with the Children's Miracle Network.

EDIT2: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/01/15/harvin-spikes/

That mildly explains the HS incident.

It just hit me today why people have a misconception about Percy Harvin's character.

Basically when he came out of HS there was this reputation he had as a douche bag and it is said why the other WR out of his school in VA Beach didn't sign with Florida.

Well turns out none of these so called character concerns arose while Percy was at Florida

etk
03-13-2009, 08:05 PM

If anything that shows positive character. It takes a bold, intelligent man of high morals, ethics and character to talk down to Gator coaches and avoid all their *** team rituals like kissing on the sidelines, playing with each other's guns, etc.

The more distant he is from the Gators, the better the prospect he will be.

FreeBaGeL
03-13-2009, 10:28 PM

He's no Matt Stafford in that regard or anything, but he is far from a weak-armed QB.

FreeBaGeL
03-13-2009, 10:29 PM
One thing to keep in mind with Harvin's injury history is that he spent a good chunk of time in college playing tailback, so he was put into situations to get dinged up a lot more often than most WRs.

proshoota25
03-13-2009, 11:34 PM
i really would not be surprised if my pats took him

BBIB
03-14-2009, 11:21 AM
One thing to keep in mind with Harvin's injury history is that he spent a good chunk of time in college playing tailback, so he was put into situations to get dinged up a lot more often than most WRs.

Good point. His injury history may be blown out of proportion as well. He's never missed more than two games in a season.

murdamal86
03-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah.... uh Percy has absolutely zero concern about character. And I don't see how he isn't a 1st rounder on talent alone.

lol except for when he beat the s**t outta Jerrod Fayson

03-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, they aren't anything i saw on television, but I have heard from one place or another that he has a fairly big ego - leading to a sense of entitlement that has led him to talk down to coaches (and as a result doesn't take well to hard coaching - thus probably requires more of a players coach). He was suspended in high school and college (for unsportsmanlike consuct, inappropriate language and improper contact with an office. Apparently he 'identifies' with the 757 Virginia Beach neighborhood (brought Lawrence Taylor, Michael Vick, DeAngelo Hall - great players but have some 'issues'). These things have apparently lead some to be rubbed the wrong way - thus who knows about his 'team' approach, etc.

How many of these things are true? I would be open to someone letting me know, but i have read them in well respected magazines and from respected analysts on the television.

These things don't necessarily mean anything definitely negative, and they may be overblown, but like i said, my personal opinion leads me to not want him on the Jets....but someone will certainly go after the elite talent and very possibly get a bargain.

Just because he identifies with the area code of his hometown doesn't mean he has any character issues. Hell, I identify with the "214" Dallas area.

Babylon
03-14-2009, 12:50 PM
He's no Matt Stafford in that regard or anything, but he is far from a weak-armed QB.

That's probably fair enough, let me restate that to read he hasnt always run pro style routes because of the offense they play in at Florida.

Texas Homer
03-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Percy late 1st round. Maybe to the Titans if he is there when they pick.

DT35
03-14-2009, 04:48 PM
I think he'll go to the Rams or Jags in the second, depending on where they go in the first. If not, then the Raiders in the second. I think his ceeling is Lee Evans-esque, but I don't think he'll reach it.

sbh15
03-14-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm hearing from a Gator insider that Jax and Miami both have him high on their boards.