PDA

View Full Version : Darius Butler vs. Alphonso Smith...why is Butler gaining steam?

JDB7821
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I see in some mocks and rankings that Butler is overtaking Smith and Moore as the 3rd cornerback, I'm just looking for a little feedback as to why. I know Butler has a tremendous vertical and maybe is a little more physical due to his height, but I just keep coming back to Smith's 21 career interceptions against Butler's 7.

One possibility is scheme specific, as Butler might fit more in a Cover 2. With that said though, I think Smith's playmaking makes him a better fit for any scheme. Am I wrong?

thenewfeature06
03-11-2009, 12:52 PM
No you are not wrong but i'm a little skeptical if smith played in any scheme, he isn't the most physical corner but his ball skills are considered elite at this point and he still is first round talent..reminds me of ellis hobbs a little in terms of sticking to defenders but i think with hobbs inconsitency was the downfall but Alphonso looks to be a nickel guy IMO

etk
03-11-2009, 01:08 PM
I see in some mocks and rankings that Butler is overtaking Smith and Moore as the 3rd cornerback, I'm just looking for a little feedback as to why. I know Butler has a tremendous vertical and maybe is a little more physical due to his height, but I just keep coming back to Smith's 21 career interceptions against Butler's 7.

One possibility is scheme specific, as Butler might fit more in a Cover 2. With that said though, I think Smith's playmaking makes him a better fit for any scheme. Am I wrong?

Butler is gaining steam because of his athletic ability: speed, footwork, quicks, etc.

Butler is not physical at all. He's weak and slim. Smith is one of the most physical CBs in the draft. He's tough.

Butler would most likely get drafted to an off-man system because of his athletic tools and footwork. Smith could fit in any system because he's a solid athlete, physical and makes plays. Butler has really bad hands and ball skills.

Butler is basically Leodis McKelvin lite and McKelvin saw his stock rise a lot last year as well. Alphonso Smith is similar to Brandon Flowers.

thenewfeature06
03-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Butler is gaining steam because of his athletic ability: speed, footwork, quicks, etc.

Butler is not physical at all. He's weak and slim. Smith is one of the most physical CBs in the draft. He's tough.

Butler would most likely get drafted to an off-man system because of his athletic tools and footwork. Smith could fit in any system because he's a solid athlete, physical and makes plays. Butler has really bad hands and ball skills.

Butler is basically Leodis McKelvin lite and McKelvin saw his stock rise a lot last year as well. Alphonso Smith is similar to Brandon Flowers.

the only time i have seen smith be physical was the clemson game,on a bubble screen to tyler grisham,when there is only flashes of physicality i can't put the stamp on him yet

RWills
03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Butler has elite footwork to go with great recovery speed and leasping ability with being a returner. I agree with the Leodis light comment

and Smith is more Asante Samuel than Hobbs, unlike Hobbs Smith has amazing ball skills and like Asante is great at jumping routes

Paranoidmoonduck
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
The same reason that Vontae Davis is mostly rated over Alphonso Smith. To be a cornerback, you usually have to hit that sweet spot of physical ability and Butler is closer to it than Smith.

Personally, I have Smith as my #2 corner.

etk
03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
the only time i have seen smith be physical was the clemson game,on a bubble screen to tyler grisham,when there is only flashes of physicality i can't put the stamp on him yet

I'm not sure you watched enough of WF's games to get a good picture. He's physical in every aspect: tackling WRs, filling versus the run, in press man, and he also uses his hands & body well (physical) to break up passes. He might not be the next Antoine Winfield but he's always making contact and isn't afraid to hit. Some of those bigger corners that are supposed to be more physical (Vontae Davis for one) only tackle when they feel like it, and put little effort into it.