PDA

View Full Version : DT Clinton McDonald, Memphis

D-Unit
03-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I realize this might not be thread worthy, but he's a prospect that I really like. I can see him fitting in the 3-4 or the 4-3. I think he's got the frame that can be molded to be bigger or smaller or stay the same... whatever it is to fit your needs. Team site says he's 6'3", 285, but he wasn't invited to the combine, so not sure how official that is. His motor and power stand out to me most. I think his technique needs more work and that he needs to develop more go to moves, but with proper coaching, could be more than a serviceable player. Right now he's a late round/udfa type player from what I've gathered. Is that right/wrong? Anyone else have thoughts on him? Is his pro day over yet?

TitanHope
03-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I know STRIP likes him a lot too, and I was really disappointed that he wasn't invited to the combine.

I agree that he's a late round guy, but I think he'll get drafted. Seems like a 4-3 UT/3-4 DE prototype with great athleticism. Someone that versatile has a greater chance of finding a team to pick him.

I got no clue when his Pro Day is, but I hope he has a great showing.

bitonti
03-11-2009, 03:14 PM
he's too small to be considered a prototype anything. hes a decent player but could go undrafted, like Eric Foster of Rutgers, now the Colts.

TitanHope
03-11-2009, 05:29 PM
He's a tweener, true. But, that doesn't mean he doesn't fit the type of prototype some teams look for.

For example, Tony Brown is 6'3, 280-something. Jovan Haye is 6'2, 280-something. Both are DT's for the Titans, so McDonald fits the type of body that they look for. Haye played DE in college, and Tony Brown is a DE/DT tweener as well. McDonald played both positions in college.

All I'm saying is he has value for Cover 2/Tampa 2 teams as a UT, 3-4 teams as a DE, and hell, he has the athletecism to play OLB in a 3-4 (I think STRIP said he played some OLB at Memphis...not sure). One would think that that versatility would increase his chance of someone taking a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th RD.

Not to mention, he may blow up his Pro Day and further improve his stock. He has the athletic ability to do so.