PDA

View Full Version : Andre Smith struggles at Alabama pro day

Who Dat Nation
03-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith didn’t perform well at his Pro Day workout today in front of the entire league after creating a stir by leaving the NFL scouting combine early last month. One league source told us: “He bombed.”

According to NFL.com, Smith was not “overly impressive.” His top 40-yard dash time was 5.28 seconds and he bench pressed 225 pounds just 19 times.

According to our league source, Smith ran with no shirt on and was visibly overweight. With a group of trainers urging him on to run faster, Smith had a generally rough day.

thenewfeature06
03-11-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't want him on the raiders now... too many question marks

roscoesdad27
03-11-2009, 03:06 PM
40 time doesnt mean much for an o.t. and 19 reps on the bench isnt horrible.

still clearly the #1 o.t. in the draft imho.

bitonti
03-11-2009, 03:11 PM

yeah... are you Papa Smith? cause this guy is maybe the #1 guard in the draft.

thenewfeature06
03-11-2009, 03:13 PM
his weight is mostly fat because he is a slob

brat316
03-11-2009, 03:17 PM
ahhaha, looks like the extra 2 weeks didnt help. What was he doing all this time? Sitting around eating bags of chips. I guess he figured he could just show up and play and if he sucks well at least he got a **** load of guaranteed money.

AkiliSmith
03-11-2009, 03:20 PM
ahhaha, looks like the extra 2 weeks didnt help. What was he doing all this time? Sitting around eating bags of chips. I guess he figured he could just show up and play and if he sucks well at least he got a **** load of guaranteed money.
Well he lost 15 pounds off of his playing weight so he must have did something

Black Bolt
03-11-2009, 03:20 PM

He's Shawn Andrews #2, and that isn't a bad thing.

gpngc
03-11-2009, 03:21 PM

I agree with him.

Talent-wise he's the best.

Who cares about his speed and muscular endurance?

5.28 is BAD for a gigantic mauling OL? lol

gameplaya2435
03-11-2009, 03:22 PM
He ran with his shirt off? Did he seriously think that would impress scouts, watching his big belly and man titties flop all over the place?

roscoesdad27
03-11-2009, 03:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md-EZ6TOWyw

dominated in the best conference in college football for the last 3 years...had the seond longest arms and the draft and for anybody questioning his agility and quickness chew on this.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=andre+smith&aq=f

gpngc
03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md-EZ6TOWyw

dominated in the best conference in college football for the last 3 years...had the seond longest arms and the draft and for anybody questioning his agility and quickness chew on this.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=andre+smith&aq=f

I think you were trying to show his touchdown catch with the second clip? Not sure... but yea- he caught a screen and ran for a touchdown lol it was pretty funny.

Anyway, Smith has the Ogden-trait in that if gets inside your pads you aren't going anywhere. The 19-reps measures muscular endurance, not strength.

He's way too good to play inside. I could maybe see him as a RT early in his career, but he's got fine footwork, excellent HANDS (overlooked in OL evaluation), and great balance for such a powerful mauler. Will he struggle somewhat with speed rushers? Sure. But who doesn't?

The problem with Smith is this "leaving the combine" stuff. Extremely weird IMO. As a strictly on-the-field player, however, he's the top OT and I would argue the third best talent in the draft behind Crab and Curry.

Babylon
03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree with him.

Talent-wise he's the best.

Who cares about his speed and muscular endurance?

5.28 is BAD for a gigantic mauling OL? lol

I would question whether he's the best talent wise. There is just too much baggage with this guy. He becomes a bargain later in the 1st round but i wouldnt be putting any big money into this guy, too risky.

D-Unit
03-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Any chance he slips to the Cowboys at 51? :)

Dark Knight01
03-11-2009, 03:41 PM
How long are his arms and how big are his hands and what was his time in the short shuttle and 10 yard split?? How much did he weigh in at and how tall was he?

Or is everyone just concentrating on his bench?

Dark Knight01
03-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Watch what happens with Andre Smith. He will slip to the 13-18 range in the draft and some average to solid football team will take him and he will be DOMINANT and be a starter for 10 years.

I can see it now….

GB12
03-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Hello round 2.

Well probably not really, but **** did he fall far since December.

senormysterioso
03-11-2009, 03:42 PM
he's going to slide a long way, maybe not to 51 but it wouldn't shock me to see him last until the second

phlysac
03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
It still puzzles me that Andre Smith always receives the "look what he did against SEC competition" defense when Michael Oher's stock has dropped having not given up a sack this season in the same conference.

steelernation77
03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
If he gets to the 20s, I see a slew of teams looking to trade up, including the steelers.

Donno
03-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Reminds me of Leonard Davis

edgrenade
He'll slide to the Niners @10

Babylon
I think there would be a stop loss at about 20 to the Lions. At that point they can roll the dice on a top 5 type talent and let him play OG for a year or two if they have to.

phlysac
03-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Mixed reviews....

Smith measured in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. His short shuttle time is still to come as are the times from his Alabama teammates.

To put Smith’s workout in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

One source told the Chicago Sun Times that Alabama OL Andre Smith was impressive in position drills at his Pro Day.
Despite negative reviews elsewhere, the source said he'd still be surprised if Smith fell out of the top ten picks. The source added that Smith was not winded after drills, despite a report that he looked overweight. Next time Smith runs his forty, he'd probably be better off leaving his shirt on

gpngc
03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
If he gets to the 20s, I see a slew of teams looking to trade up, including the steelers.

I'm starting to think the Steelers make a play for Oher in that range. They aren't aggressive in free agency, but they will trade up if they want someone (Polamalu, Holmes).

Before they signed Tra Thomas, I thought Smith could fall no further than #8 to JAC. Now I'd say the latest he'll go is #13 to WAS.

Could Buffalo take him at #11? Peters was a major disappointment last season.

Dark Knight01
03-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Arm and hand measurables for Andre Smith:

Had an arm span of 35 3/8 inches and a hand span of 9 3/4 inches at the combine.

Arms and hands are huge and is a natual knee bender.

ErikG803
03-11-2009, 03:54 PM
From PFT

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

Another AFC East scout told Pauline: “He lost millions today.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

Dark Knight01
03-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Mixed reviews....

Sounds like smokecreen season is starting in regards to Andre Smith......

keylime_5
03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
19 isnt' that bad, especially considering he has the longest arms of any tackle in this draft not named Phil Loadholt (who is 6'8", not 6'4" like Smith).....Eugene Monroe did 23 and Mike Oher did 21. I think if Cincinnati is as enamored with Andre come April as they reportedly were as recently as this past week, then I don't think it'll still be an instance of Smith not falling past pick #6 still. Either way the Smith thing has been blown out of proportion, he's still a top 10 lock IMO.

CC.SD
03-11-2009, 04:00 PM
16 16 16.

Seriously watch some Alabama games if you're worried.

PACKmanN
03-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Any chance he slips to the Cowboys at 51? :)

why? you want more fat, lazy linemen? :)

brat316
03-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I want to know ho he did in position drills

Babylon
03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
If the NFL.com numbers are accurate, and there is no reason to think they arent, then he leaves a lot to be desired. His game resume was great but you really have to question this guys dedication and upside.

For all those that would still take him early i wonder if any data is meaningful or should we just go off end of season rankings.

Dark Knight01
03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
19 isnt' that bad, especially considering he has the longest arms of any tackle in this draft not named Phil Loadholt (who is 6'8", not 6'4" like Smith).....Eugene Monroe did 23 and Mike Oher did 21. I think if Cincinnati is as enamored with Andre come April as they reportedly were as recently as this past week, then I don't think it'll still be an instance of Smith not falling past pick #6 still. Either way the Smith thing has been blown out of proportion, he's still a top 10 lock IMO.

^^Like I said.....the SMOKESCREEN season has started with Andre Smith! LOL

phlysac
03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I want to know ho he did in position drills

From an earlier post...

One source told the Chicago Sun Times that Alabama OL Andre Smith was impressive in position drills at his Pro Day.

metafour
03-11-2009, 04:17 PM
^^Like I said.....the SMOKESCREEN season has started with Andre Smith! LOL

Lets not start pretending like Andre Smith was EVER a cant-miss, no-fault prospect. He struggled quite a bit as a sophomore and HAS been beaten. The work-ethic/attitude questions are legit. I dont see why this has to be a smokescreen...was Alan Branch a smokescreen?

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I hope he falls all the way to 21, and then...

Lets just say, Good night to the NFC East...;)

Seriously doubt he falls this far though, but I can dream...

Dark Knight01
03-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Lets not start pretending like Andre Smith was EVER a cant-miss, no-fault prospect. He struggled quite a bit as a sophomore and HAS been beaten. The work-ethic/attitude questions are legit. I dont see why this has to be a smokescreen...was Alan Branch a smokescreen?

I think so because it sounds like a bit too much over reacting going on to try and make it sound like he is a HORRIBLE football player.

Like I said middle of the 1st round average to good football teams are probably hoping he slips to them.

brat316
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Look at it this way either you get a great to good LT, or you get a very good athletic/mauler guard. If he is that athletic in short areas he should have no problem pulling.

ThePudge
03-11-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't think this does anything to lower his stock. At all. Don't forget, for a shorter OT, he had some of the longest arms at the Combine, so I'd put his bench press right on par with Eugene Monroe (23) and Michael Oher (21). Not at all an impressive showing, but still, acceptable when you consider the competition and the man's long arms.

As for his 40 and weight, I am pleasantly surprised. Did anyone expect a sub 5.2 from this guy? I personally expected something in the 5.35-5.40 range. 5.28 is fine. Far higher than Jeff Otah a year ago. He ran only .05-.06 slower than Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith respectively, while sixteen pounds heavier. The man has some baby fat, how is that a surprise? We knew this people! If we knew it, don't you think NFL personnel knew it? Also, he weighed in at 6'4 1/4 325. That, for him, is nothing short of excellent. It shows he is finally taking the process seriously, losing 7 additional pounds and obviously training for some of the agility drills more than others. His broad jump is not too good, but count me more than satisfied with his three-cone, his 40 Yard Dash.

I'd like to know how his positional drills went because I see nothing that would equal disaster out of his numbers there. I still think the guy will be a Top 10 pick.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
All this crazy talk about my main man Andre.

We here in the Chocolate City can't wait to roll out the red carpet for Mr. Smith.

Hell, the Danny will have Obama and Gibbs standing first in line to personally fit him in his new XXXXXL Redskins jersey!!

I hope the top 12 teams pass on Andre while we here in DC are grinding in the SB lab at Redskins Park to rebuild the Hogz for the 21st century!!

JJJ888
03-11-2009, 05:09 PM
If you can't work in preparation for the combine or your pro day, how can I expect you to work in the NFL?

Oh that's right, I can't. There's no questioning Smith's talent, but in my opinion the biggest busts are those guys without the work ethic to survive in the NFL. Smith fits that bill perfectly. Keep him off my team at all costs.

whatadai
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
From PFT

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

Another AFC East scout told Pauline: “He lost millions today.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

Since when did SI become reliable?

PossibleCabbage
03-11-2009, 05:32 PM
The reassuring thing about A. Smith is that the bulk of the tape on him is good to outstanding.

The worrying thing about A. Smith is that he's handled the pre-draft process as poorly as anybody in history.

The concern I would have is that a lot of what has happened with him recently betrays a sort of laziness. He seems like the thought he had this in the bag and more or less mailed it in. Do you really want to give a guy like that a big guaranteed contract and hope that he'll not conclude that "I have enough money" and just continue to mail it in? A lot of guys don't make it in the NFL not due to lack of talent, or lack of technique, but just a lack of mental toughness, and desire. We all know that Smith has the body to make it in the NFL, but does he have the head?

Personally, I wouldn't take him in the top 15 unless he really wows me in an interview and private workout.

Geason Noceur
03-11-2009, 05:33 PM

I don't think anyone questions his physical talent. It's his dedication and maturity that people question, and as we all know, physical talent can only get you so far in NFL. It's the one's that put in the hard work that excel above others. So far Andre doesn't seem to understand that.

thule
03-11-2009, 05:36 PM
This screams Alan Branch to me...I remember a lot of people talking god I hope he falls outta the top 15...and then bam he went in the 2nd. I could definitely see this as the case again...with a bunch of people freaking out when their team passes on him...but it happens every year...whether it's Alan Branch or Winston Justice....bottom line is scouts really evaluate you in the post season and if you didn't show that work for the biggest interview of your life...scouts usually write you out of the first round all together.

I feel that he is still a top 20 pick...however i won't be the least bit surprised to see him fall outta the first round.

LonghornsLegend
03-11-2009, 05:39 PM
I wonder what's more important, watching a guy run around in shorts looking fat, or watching a guy on film dominate every DE he comes across.

His stock may hurt in that he's not consideration for the #1 pick, but he's still a dominant tackle, just because he didn't rep 225 30 time doesn't mean he doesn't pummel everyone that he comes into contact with on the football field.

Matthew Jones
03-11-2009, 05:40 PM
I agree completely with Pudge - this guy's workout numbers aren't bad. In what way is it much worse than what Eugene Monroe and Michael Oher put up? Let's remember who won the Outland Trophy for his play ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. I shouldn't have to tell you guys that's the most important part. He's fat? Big deal, we already knew that. No one thought Andre Smith was gonna come in at a chiseled 290 pounds. Scott had him listed on here at 340 or 350. He's been dropping weight. This guy isn't a businessman in his approach to the draft, but we all know how well he can play out there on the field. He's a mauler and last year people saw fit to award him the title of best offensive lineman in the country. There's absolutely NO way he falls out of the first round.

Andre Smith: 6'4", 325, 5.28, 19 reps (36" arms)
Eugene Monroe: 6'5", 309, 5.16, 23 reps (33" arms)
Michael Oher: 6'4", 309, 5.32, 21 reps (33" arms)

If you need to look at a difference of an inch or five pounds or .1 seconds running 40 yards downfield, or two reps in the bench press to tell how good a player is, you obviously haven't seen them play. Smith may be the #4 tackle drafted, but he is a first-round talent and could easily end up being the best tackle in the draft class. No other top tackle in this draft offers what he does in the run game, and this guy only allowed one sack last year.

PossibleCabbage
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
The other thing at issue here is that this whole Andre Smith saga is so unbelievably strange, that there may well be some sort of underlying issue at stake here beyond "lazy and immature". Before a team can really justify drafting him high, they really need to figure out the underlying cause of this.

Is it poor form to bring him in for a pre-draft visit and give him a psych eval?

essential
03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm starting to think the Steelers make a play for Oher in that range. They aren't aggressive in free agency, but they will trade up if they want someone (Polamalu, Holmes).

Before they signed Tra Thomas, I thought Smith could fall no further than #8 to JAC. Now I'd say the latest he'll go is #13 to WAS.

I'd love it if the Bills took him at #11, let him play LG for a year, then trade Peters next year if his contract demands aren't reasonable, and then slide Smith to LT next year.

energizerbunny
03-11-2009, 06:10 PM
He may now fall to the 49ers at 10, but those who know anything about lineplay know there is no way he falls much further than that.

THe reason he will be a top 15 pick is the same reason Murtha won't get touched before the 3rd.

WHo would you rather have, a guy who looks great on the field or a guy who looks great in shorts?

Smith is younger than most of the other LT prospects, so he hasn't had the extra off-seasons to train, which may explain why he isn't as strong in useless tests such as the bench press rep test.

19 reps at his arm length is still very good.

Borat
03-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Sounds like smokecreen season is starting in regards to Andre Smith......

Sounds like the scouts wish there was a smokescreen keeping them from witnessing Andre Smith running a 40 topless.

LonghornsLegend
03-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Despite negative reviews elsewhere, the source said he'd still be surprised if Smith fell out of the top ten picks. The source added that Smith was not winded after drills, despite a report that he looked overweight. Next time Smith runs his forty, he'd probably be better off leaving his shirt on.
Source: Chicago Sun Times
per roto....

phlysac
03-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm still confused as to why it seems that alot more people seem resistant to Andre Smith dropping than they did Michael Oher. They both dominate on game day.

Young Nasty Man
03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I think this guy has been hanging out with a couple of friends: Colonel Sanders, Taco Bell Dog, Ronald McDonald, Wendy, and the King himself. In his defense, he is a wall that is immovable so if its that diet and a little bit of crisco too, keep it going pal.

draftguru151
03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Andre running with no shirt on was kinda scary.

ThePudge
03-11-2009, 06:34 PM
19 reps at his arm length is still very good.

Not very good. Not awful though like some are making it out to be. You'd like a guy with his style of play to put up at least 25 reps even with the arm length. 19 reps is very good for a Wide Receiver, maybe a Quarterback as well. Still, for a top OT that makes his living overpowering opponents in the run game, 19 reps is nothing "very good."

Babylon
03-11-2009, 06:36 PM

That visual is burnt into my brain, thanks a lot.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-11-2009, 07:06 PM

Yeah, no kidding. No idea why he didn't keep his shirt on the for whole workout. Big fellas can have man-tits. That's fine. But you don't advertise it to a bunch of scouts.

I think Andre Smith still could fall. His individual workouts are going to be crucial. But his game tape is mostly excellent. For now, I still think there's room for him in the top 10.

whatadai
03-11-2009, 07:16 PM
So I get negative rep for questioning SI's reliability. Does no one else notice how SI reports that he looked overweight yet he is 10 pounds lighter than what he played at? 10 pounds of FAT is actually very visually noticeable. You can't really lose 15 pounds of muscle in a few weeks either.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm a person who likes to stay away from the higher risk guys, and i put Smith in that category. On field stuff is great, but he has to have some mental ability to keep himself in shape, out of trouble, and not let the money go to his head. It already looks like he has cashed it in because he knows he's going to get a whole lot of gauranteed money regardless because of what he did on the field. I personally stay away. He could end up being great, but i stay away because i get a bad vibe. He just doesn't show the enthusiasm, character, and commitment that i would want to throw a boat load of gauranteed money at. mid-late round 1st would be great, but nothing top 10 for me personally.

also, combine and workout numbers can be overinflating, or overrated, just look at Gholston, they didn't help him at all....

Menardo75
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
His 40. time really isn't a bid deal. He still looked like he had more than adequte feet in his drills. 19 reps on the bench isn't bad for a guy with long arms. He is still a top ten pick in my book.

draftguru151
03-11-2009, 07:37 PM
So I get negative rep for questioning SI's reliability. Does no one else notice how SI reports that he looked overweight yet he is 10 pounds lighter than what he played at? 10 pounds of FAT is actually very visually noticeable. You can't really lose 15 pounds of muscle in a few weeks either.

Now he isn't as overweight. Still a lot of flab on that belly.

Babylon
03-11-2009, 08:17 PM

Questioning SI is one of the 15 commandments?

brat316
03-11-2009, 08:17 PM
IF he did awesome in the position drills then he is not going to fall much, I think he still will be a top 10 pick. Would be top 5 but I don't think Smith meets Spag's requirements, and after that maybe Seahawks take him if not then the Bengals.

gpngc
03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
IF he did awesome in the position drills then he is not going to fall much, I think he still will be a top 10 pick. Would be top 5 but I don't think Smith meets Spag's requirements, and after that maybe Seahawks take him if not then the Bengals.

What is with everyone's interest in the position drills lol? It's OL. He'd be blocking air or an opponent with little-to-no resistance. It's about as important as his HORRIBLE 5.28 40-time. lol

I can't speak for the Rams or Bengals, but I'm fairly sure Tim Ruskell wouldn't take him because he only takes choirboys. I wish the Seahawks would look at him if they wanted a tackle at #4.

Brad
03-11-2009, 08:41 PM
As some what of a SEC addict, I still believe this kid is the real deal. He simply destroyed the very talented SEC defensive lines.

Menardo75
03-11-2009, 08:42 PM
What is with everyone's interest in the position drills lol? It's OL. He'd be blocking air or an opponent with little-to-no resistance. It's about as important as his HORRIBLE 5.28 40-time. lol

I can't speak for the Rams or Bengals, but I'm fairly sure Tim Ruskell wouldn't take him because he only takes choirboys. I wish the Seahawks would look at him if they wanted a tackle at #4.

It's important so you can see his footwork much more important than 40.

gpngc
03-11-2009, 08:46 PM
It's important so you can see his footwork much more important than 40.

I think you can trust the footwork he shows in three years worth of film against real opponents with pads on, not to mention a real football environment with teammates and multiple opponents.

Over

moving your feet as quickly as you can and punching bags while wearing shorts.

Borat
03-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I think you can trust the footwork he shows in three years worth of film against real opponents with pads on, not to mention a real football environment with teammates and multiple opponents.

Over

Then why have a pro-day at all? According to you, he should have just brought out a projector

Brent
03-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Good, the worse he looks, the better chances Oher has of being a Niner.

gpngc
03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Then why have a pro-day at all? According to you, he should have just brought out a projector

Height, weight, medical checks, interviews, objective tests. The combine was first created because personnel guys didn't feel like traveling all over the country anymore and wanted to check everyone out medically in one place. There were no drills at all.

Position drills for players whose positions mainly deal with short-area one-on-one physical hitting battles are pointless.

Coaches and scouts like to see a guy work in a drill and push himself but they really aren't focusing too much on their technique as an OL in shorts with no opponent.

For QBs, sure, it's completely different.

Michigan
03-11-2009, 09:07 PM
http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/a_smith_090311_blog.jpg

You know you want to see them.

CC.SD
03-11-2009, 09:21 PM
I can put up 225 6 times. Am I nearly a third as good a football player as Andre Smith? I think the answer has to be yes. :)

IndyColtScout
03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
LOL, wow I'm not sure I would have been able to stop laughing at him running with his shirt off.

On a serious note, I personally think he'd be better off keeping the weight on, and moving inside to OG.

I know a lot of teams are looking at him as OT, but he is really going to struggle with speed edge rushers. He's not Jason Peters 2.0.

RaiderNation
03-11-2009, 09:40 PM
If he falls past #20, Id love for Oakland to trade up for him. He is the perfect fit at RT for us. We might even take him at #7

Xenos
03-11-2009, 11:36 PM
16 16 16.

Seriously watch some Alabama games if you're worried.
Dude, AJ Smith is going to avoid this guy like the plague and I don't blame him. He has Fonoti syndrome written all over him. He has the skills but the fact that he comes of as a guy who has questionable work ethics makes me think that we'll pick another tackle in the draft. Perhaps Oher or Beatty. Heck, I would rather have Clary than Andre Smith.

CC.SD
03-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Dude, AJ Smith is going to avoid this guy like the plague and I don't blame him. He has Fonoti syndrome written all over him. He has the skills but the fact that he comes of as a guy who has questionable work ethics makes me think that we'll pick another tackle in the draft. Perhaps Oher or Beatty. Heck, I would rather have Clary than Andre Smith.

I agree with you, but let's not go crazy. I feel like AJ miiiiiight just bring out the riverboat gambler if Andre falls to him, it could be a real coup if he pans out.

Menardo75
03-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Over

Also shows your hand quickness and coordination. When you are in person and you see it you get a lot better feeling for it. You also can see how coachable he is by asking him to do different things. It is clear you know nothing about offensive line so you can stop.

MarioPalmer
03-11-2009, 11:46 PM
19 REPS????

Thats aweful, and he has completely fallen off as a top OT prsopect and at best is a top OG prospect and he will not be touched in the top 10 or even the top 20. I would take Michael Oher over him to play OT or even OG. Andre Smith has done nothing to distance himself as a top tier OL prospect at all, and with all the question marks surrounding this guy, it only seems he is interested in a big pay day, a couple of years of mediocre to bust territory football and then out of the league a la Mike Williams of the Texas Longhorns drafted by the Bills as the #4 overall pick.

So sad to watch a player with immense talent fall apart and have no hyeart nor desire to play at this level. I guess he forgot what it's like to love this game and play it for the game itself, and I guess he forgets that he is a complete let down to all the people that have rooted and cheered for him. So sads to see someone waste that kind of talent when the whole football word is in the palm of his hand. I guess he doesn't relize how many people would kill to have his kind of talent and to be in his position.

I would let him fall like Alan Branch and pick him up in the 2nd round, especially after this aweful pro day and his off the field actions since the end of the regular NCAA season.

Menardo75
03-12-2009, 12:05 AM
19 REPS????

Thats aweful, and he has completely fallen off as a top OT prsopect and at best is a top OG prospect and he will not be touched in the top 10 or even the top 20. I would take Michael Oher over him to play OT or even OG. Andre Smith has done nothing to distance himself as a top tier OL prospect at all, and with all the question marks surrounding this guy, it only seems he is interested in a big pay day, a couple of years of mediocre to bust territory football and then out of the league a la Mike Williams of the Texas Longhorns drafted by the Bills as the #4 overall pick.

So sad to watch a player with immense talent fall apart and have no hyeart nor desire to play at this level. I guess he forgot what it's like to love this game and play it for the game itself, and I guess he forgets that he is a complete let down to all the people that have rooted and cheered for him. So sads to see someone waste that kind of talent when the whole football word is in the palm of his hand. I guess he doesn't relize how many people would kill to have his kind of talent and to be in his position.

I would let him fall like Alan Branch and pick him up in the 2nd round, especially after this aweful pro day and his off the field actions since the end of the regular NCAA season.

I think you are over reacting a lot. 19 reps for a long armed kid great but it isn't bad at all. He is still a top prospect no matter what unless he really bombs the interviews at his pro day.

Xenos
03-12-2009, 12:21 AM
I agree with you, but let's not go crazy. I feel like AJ miiiiiight just bring out the riverboat gambler if Andre falls to him, it could be a real coup if he pans out.
As much grief as Clary gets for the sacks he gave up, you also have to take into account that he was left on an island all by himself without an TE help like Shelton or McNeill. Also, I wonder how much of the sacks were due to having Mike Goff next to him.

Anyways, if we're going to go tackle in the draft, I would rather pick up Oher or Beatty instead. We need to let LT rush to the right, instead of just the left.

NGSeiler
03-12-2009, 12:23 AM

I like Buffalo as a destination. He can fill in immediately at the LG spot which I believe has been vacated with Dockery being cut. Then, depending on how things go with Peters, they could always try to slide him out to LT.

Andre Smith: 6'4", 325, 5.28, 19 reps (36" arms)
Eugene Monroe: 6'5", 309, 5.16, 23 reps (33" arms)
Michael Oher: 6'4", 309, 5.32, 21 reps (33" arms)

Did you intentionally round Smith's 35 3/8" arms up to 36" while rounding Monroe's 33 7/8" arms and Oher's 33 1/2" both down to 33"?

I can't speak for the Rams or Bengals, but I'm fairly sure Tim Ruskell wouldn't take him because he only takes choirboys.

That's basically the Rams' philosophy as well, with Billy Devaney in the driver's seat. I would imagine he's likely off their board completely.

phlysac
03-12-2009, 01:00 AM
When it was rumored that Andre Smith was 360lbs I bought into the Mike Williams argument but now I find it ridiculous. Mike Williams weighed 370lbs. Andre Smith weighs 325. HUGE, HUGE difference.

RollingMoss
03-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Nick Saban, Andre Smith, and Bill Belicheck have conspired to drop Smith's stock and have him fall to the Patriots in a nefarious plot to something something something. I got an inside source on this one. And I'm high. It's gotta be true!

Bama9507
03-12-2009, 01:47 AM
He's a joke but even more of a joke is 40 times for OL. Useless waste of time.

nobodyinparticular
03-12-2009, 02:36 AM

He drafted Marcus McNeill who was falling for concerns over weight, back and ability to play LT, he drafted Cromartie who was there because of problems with his hip and polish--I'd say that AJ Smith is a good stopper in the draft if physically talented players are falling.

Xenos
03-12-2009, 04:00 AM
He drafted Marcus McNeill who was falling for concerns over weight, back and ability to play LT, he drafted Cromartie who was there because of problems with his hip and polish--I'd say that AJ Smith is a good stopper in the draft if physically talented players are falling.
The difference with those guys is that they didn't have a work ethic knock against them. That's one of the big red flags for AJ Smith. You can have all the talent in the world but if you are lazy then forget about it. He already went through that guys like Tony Fonoti, I doubt he's going to go for it now.

Larry121283
03-12-2009, 08:09 AM
I really want to like Smith, his film is terrific and would be an asset to any power running team...but he hasn't given me any reason to compound that love during the draft process.

Tough to judge where he lands now.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Lazy players don't start for 4 years at Alabama.

Maybe he isn't real keen on lifting weights. Neither were Herschel Walker or Lawrence Taylor.

He'll learn to love the iron once he discovers he's not the strongest man on the football field anymore.

Keep dissing him, we love him already here in DC.

ElectricEye
03-12-2009, 11:33 AM
People are completely overreacting. There's a lot of positives to take out of this. First among them is his arms. I was kinda concerned how long his arms would measure out as with his height. That's clearly no longer a concern. He has the arm length to play the left tackle. The second is his weight. He shed a couple of bad pounds off his playing weight.

Anybody who uses his 40 time as a knock against him doesn't really know what they're talking about. The 19 reps he threw up wasn't great, but it's absolutely ******** for anyone to say it automatically dooms him to guard or right tackle. Andre Smith has long arms and most importantly, functional strength. 19 reps isn't great, but it isn't the end of the world for a guy with such long arms. Oher and Monroe didn't do all that much better than Smith and nobody is saying it's the end of the line for them. People are really looking for anything to get this guy with after the combine. Yeah, he brought that on himself, but people need to seriously turn on the tape before saying that he'll flunk out to guard. Andre Smith blocks better than anyone in the draft by far and moves more than well enough to stick at left tackle. People don't seem to really care about that at this point.

JT Jag
03-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Maybe he isn't real keen on lifting weights. Neither were Herschel Walker or Lawrence Taylor.

He'll learn to love the iron once he discovers he's not the strongest man on the football field anymore.

Keep dissing him, we love him already here in DC.He started for three years. But, more to the point, lazy players don't start for two years for Nick Saban.

Saints-Tigers
03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I'd take him and tell Stinchcomb to Eff off. Our backs would love to run behind Jammal Brown, Carl Nicks, Jahri Evans, and Andre Smith...

Gchu83
03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
You know you want to see them.

You asked for it...
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n254/garypchu/bilde.jpg

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-12-2009, 12:06 PM

There is one very big difference that makes it very tough to compare the two. MONEY. Knowing that you are in line to make a whole boat load of money does amazing things to the mind, it has happened many times before, and it will happen many times again. Going to college you have the eye on the money and you have everything still to prove. At that point, you haven't done anything that gaurantees you money, and in a general sense, people don't know/care who you are. As you progress and chase the dream, people start talking to you, people love you, and you get money on the mind. People, scounts, papers, tell you that you are a lock for the 1st round, and you are gauranteed crazy money. Maybe you aren't mature, you can't handle all this mentally, and you start to coast. Someone is going to take a chance on you, you are that talented and it shows on tape. You are in the money.

That is the difference between going to college and the NFL. Money. Maybe his agent was the root cause of the many combine issues, but his agent wasn't responsible for him being 'out of shape', doing poorly in interviews, and overall making bad decisions. Fact is, he has some very worrisome character issues, and whether that shows on film is irrelevant. PacMan was great on film too, so was Mike Williams, they got what you want, but they don't deliver because they just don't care. They got paid...'make it rain'

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-12-2009, 12:07 PM
You asked for it...
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n254/garypchu/bilde.jpg

haha, thanks for that. Full motion too...

Edit: I just realized it looks like an alien face.....haha

draftguru151
03-12-2009, 12:10 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Alabama/Andre-Smiths-Pro-Day.gif

I KNOW IT ALL
03-12-2009, 12:12 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Alabama/Andre-Smiths-Pro-Day.gif

I can't believe a guy that looks like that can move like he can.

Dark Knight01
03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Yep! I agree this whole Andre Smith bashing thing is getting old and being completely thrown out of proportion and I smell other fans (and scouts) from other teams are trying to bash him hard to create some SMOKESCREENS so that he can slip into the middle of or even end of the 1st Round to their team?

Guess what folks....that aint gonna happen.

Andre Smith will be a top 10 pick and will not be receiving top 5 money and he will be starter as a RT for some team. His position work outs were just fine and some people are ripping him because he didn't have the body of Atlas. Charles Davis and Mike Mayock both stated his position workouts were solid.

He is a freakin O-Linemen people and what O-Linemen is supposed to have the body of a greek god? What matters is can he play football and dominate at the line of scrimmage? Yes and yes....

Dark Knight01
03-12-2009, 12:59 PM
If he falls past #20, Id love for Oakland to trade up for him. He is the perfect fit at RT for us. We might even take him at #7

He is not falling to the 20's and he will not fall out of the top 10 IMO.

If Crabtree is off the board when the Raiders are up at #7...Andre Smith may be the pick.

He would be a great fit for them at RT....especially since they want to get tougher and more physical on both lines this year. Picking Andre Smith would be a good first step in that direction.

Dark Knight01
03-12-2009, 01:02 PM
People are completely overreacting. There's a lot of positives to take out of this. First among them is his arms. I was kinda concerned how long his arms would measure out as with his height. That's clearly no longer a concern. He has the arm length to play the left tackle. The second is his weight. He shed a couple of bad pounds off his playing weight.

Anybody who uses his 40 time as a knock against him doesn't really know what they're talking about. The 19 reps he threw up wasn't great, but it's absolutely ******** for anyone to say it automatically dooms him to guard or right tackle. Andre Smith has long arms and most importantly, functional strength. 19 reps isn't great, but it isn't the end of the world for a guy with such long arms. Oher and Monroe didn't do all that much better than Smith and nobody is saying it's the end of the line for them. People are really looking for anything to get this guy with after the combine. Yeah, he brought that on himself, but people need to seriously turn on the tape before saying that he'll flunk out to guard. Andre Smith blocks better than anyone in the draft by far and moves more than well enough to stick at left tackle. People don't seem to really care about that at this point.

Yep! 40 times mean NOTHING when it comes to an O-Linemen...more importantly what was his 10 yard split?

I agree this whole Andre Smith bashing thing is getting old and being completely thrown out of proportion and I smell other fans (and scouts) from other teams are trying to bash him hard to create some SMOKESCREENS so that he can slip into the middle of or even end of the 1st Round to their team?

Andre Smith will be a top 10 pick and will not be receiving top 5 money and he will be starter as a RT for some team. His position work outs were just fine and some people are ripping him because he didn't have the body of Atlas. Charles Davis and Mike Mayock both stated his position workouts were solid.

He is a freakin O-Linemen people and what O-Linemen is supposed to have the body of a greek god? What matters is can he play football and dominate at the line of scrimmage? Yes and yes....

Babylon
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Yep! I agree this whole Andre Smith bashing thing is getting old and being completely thrown out of proportion and I smell other fans (and scouts) from other teams are trying to bash him hard to create some SMOKESCREENS so that he can slip into the middle of or even end of the 1st Round to their team?

If none of this whole process matters then why do scouts and coaches get annoyed when he doesnt perform at the combine? Then they all show up at his pro day. Agree he isnt going to have some epic fall but to overlook every piece of bad news about the guy is why people get fired. Why not just base the draft on the rivals 5 star players from 3 or 4 years ago?

nobodyinparticular
03-12-2009, 01:27 PM
He is not falling to the 20's and he will not fall out of the top 10 IMO.

If Crabtree is off the board when the Raiders are up at #7...Andre Smith may be the pick.

He would be a great fit for them at RT....especially since they want to get tougher and more physical on both lines this year. Picking Andre Smith would be a good first step in that direction.

A RT with a top 10 pick... Wow...

themaninblack
03-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Willie Anderson was a top 10 pick at RT.

Young Legend
03-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Yea, I wouldn't rule of Smith to the Raiders if Raji and Crabtree are both gone.

hannah73
03-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Watch the interview with him on another site (can't mention).

He seems just a little out of it, kind of child like in his answers. In it he's being worked out by a "trainer"...it's just bizarre. He's jumping up and down on the back of a weight bench stand (where the spotter stands)...

If he had professional training and could kind of get in shape he could be a solid 320 at 6'4". He doesn't look too solid. Why take your shirt off? Is he mentally ill?

On the other hand he plays great for 3 years...he must have SOME work ethic and what not. Maybe he's just young/immature and needs a coach to constantly keep on him. Would he adhere to a rigid workout regime? Doesn't look like he's had any. Yet he's done very well for himself in college.

An enigma.

And Richard seymour benched 225 like 18 times, IIRC. Doesn't mean much.

Babylon
03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Watch the interview with him on another site (can't mention).

He seems just a little out of it, kind of child like in his answers. In it he's being worked out by a "trainer"...it's just bizarre. He's jumping up and down on the back of a weight bench stand (where the spotter stands)...

If he had professional training and could kind of get in shape he could be a solid 320 at 6'4". He doesn't look too solid. Why take your shirt off? Is he mentally ill?

On the other hand he plays great for 3 years...he must have SOME work ethic and what not. Maybe he's just young/immature and needs a coach to constantly keep on him. Would he adhere to a rigid workout regime? Doesn't look like he's had any. Yet he's done very well for himself in college.

An enigma.

And Richard seymour benched 225 like 18 times, IIRC. Doesn't mean much.

An enigma wrapped in a Twinkie maybe. I think if he were the only good OT in this draft you'd have to take him based on supply and demand but with at least 3 other guys you can hang your hat on this guy has to slide. The question is how much. My guess is if Detroit goes with Stafford at the top they would come back and roll the dice on Smith at 20. For Detroit he could play either tackle of guard. Buyer beware.

OSUraider
03-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Yahoo! might have the worst staff in the world about the draft..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Andre-Smith-s-draft-freefall-continues?urn=nfl,147436

The guy says he may not even be a second day pick

Bama9507
03-12-2009, 05:49 PM
He's disgusting

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-12-2009, 06:43 PM
There is no excuse for huffing that 40 bare-chested when your upper body has more waves than a waterbed!!

Given, Mr. Smith is a tad eccentric, but also very confident in himself and obviously enjoys/has a passion for the game of football on some level.

Ironically, if Andre tones up and gets his weight in the 315-320 range, he might be a better LT, but he won't be as physically dominant as he was at 345-350.

Dark Knight01
03-12-2009, 06:52 PM

Miami was considering starting Jake Long on the right side last year and just as long as he turns into a DOMINATING RT then why the heck would it matter?

CashmoneyDrew
03-12-2009, 06:56 PM
God I love the comments from the people posting on that Yahoo article. Saying that they don't know if they even want their team taking a chance on him in the 3rd or 4th round. Idiots. And don't forget the people saying he won't even get drafted.

Dark Knight01
03-12-2009, 07:01 PM
If none of this whole process matters then why do scouts and coaches get annoyed when he doesnt perform at the combine? Then they all show up at his pro day. Agree he isnt going to have some epic fall but to overlook every piece of bad news about the guy is why people get fired. Why not just base the draft on the rivals 5 star players from 3 or 4 years ago?

Scouts, GM's, and Owners ALL go back to study a players GAME FILM anyway....

PossibleCabbage
03-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Scouts, GM's, and Owners ALL go back to study a players GAME FILM anyway....

It's foolish to think though that Scouts, GMs, and Owners would ignore the fact that a guy behaved like a knucklehead who just wanted to get paid for the entire pre-draft process, including his bowl game. If nothing else, it will get personnel staffers to look a lot closer and ask a lot of questions they might not otherwise ask.

In addition to watching game film, scouts, GMs, and owners are all going to be making a bunch of calls to Alabama coaches about this guy. Probably more calls than they would have made if Andre had a relatively uneventful pre-draft process.

Regardless of what the game film says, if a guy's college coaches all say "he's immature, and nigh-uncoachable" that's going to hurt a guy's stock a lot, no matter how dominant a player was in college. Even the most dominant college players need to improve their games to make it in the pros. If a guy is unable or unwilling to "make the next step", he's not worth a high pick no matter what game tape says.

roscoesdad27
03-12-2009, 07:38 PM
if he falls past the ravens I will personally go kick ozzie in the nuts.

JT Jag
03-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Quick question, y'all: Andre started for two complete years for Nick Saban.

I propose that NO real lazy player, on or off the field, would last that long under Saban.

ElectricEye
03-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Oh it matters alright and he certainly isn't helping himself, but he hasn't hurt himself THAT bad either. Turn on the tape and you'll see the best blocker in the draft.

art vandelay
03-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Man, Smith scares the **** out of me. I wouldn't touch him. Reminds me alot of Mike Williams (Bills OT).

MarioPalmer
03-13-2009, 01:14 AM
I think you are over reacting a lot. 19 reps for a long armed kid great but it isn't bad at all. He is still a top prospect no matter what unless he really bombs the interviews at his pro day.

C'mon Menardo, you know as well as I do that 19 is not enough for a top tier OL prospect. I'm not asking him to pull a Jake Long and hit 36 reps, but around the 30 mark, 27-32 is what I was looking for because he is not only considered a great lineman, but he is considered a top tier road grading run blocker who destorys defensive lineman while getting to the next level and bowling over LBs and safeties.

I just don't see him as the "it" guy anymore, and I don't have him rated higher than Shawn Andrews anymore. I see Andre Smith as a fringe 1rst02nd round guy who will have to make the move to guard. Especially if his work ethic isn't there. If he doesn't have the right attitude, I will not pick him to block for my QBs blind side. You can put him at guard and let him block up the middle and use his girth and strength (??????) to block for the run game, but not my QBs blind side.

Look, I like the kid, and I really want him to do well, but the more this process goes on the more I see him failing and its disturbing to say the least. Hopefully when he gets to the league the right coaches, players, etc. can help turn him around, but I have this sneaking suspicion that he may turn out like Mike Williams of the Bills. A big over wieght, non working mammoth that was turned into a OG because he lacked the true discipline to be a true legit OT.

Dark Knight01
03-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Hmm...I think Andre Smith got suckered into taking his shirt off by a team in the 13-22 range.

Why haven't we seen BJ Raji run with his shirt off??

He is shorter and fatter than Smith and probably has bigger man boobs than Smith! LOL

NGSeiler
03-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Hmm...I think Andre Smith got suckered into taking his shirt off by a team in the 13-22 range.

Why haven't we seen BJ Raji run with his shirt off??

He is shorter and fatter than Smith and probably has bigger man boobs than Smith! LOL

Do we really want to start advocating FOR this, though? ;)

Dark Knight01
03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
It's foolish to think though that Scouts, GMs, and Owners would ignore the fact that a guy behaved like a knucklehead who just wanted to get paid for the entire pre-draft process, including his bowl game. If nothing else, it will get personnel staffers to look a lot closer and ask a lot of questions they might not otherwise ask.

In addition to watching game film, scouts, GMs, and owners are all going to be making a bunch of calls to Alabama coaches about this guy. Probably more calls than they would have made if Andre had a relatively uneventful pre-draft process.

Regardless of what the game film says, if a guy's college coaches all say "he's immature, and nigh-uncoachable" that's going to hurt a guy's stock a lot, no matter how dominant a player was in college. Even the most dominant college players need to improve their games to make it in the pros. If a guy is unable or unwilling to "make the next step", he's not worth a high pick no matter what game tape says.

Why aren't people bagging on BJ Raji then??

He is shorter and fatter than Andre Smith and he has academic ineligibility problems and some say character concerns at BC??

Why didn't BJ Raji run with his shirt off?

Babylon
03-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Why aren't people bagging on BJ Raji then??

He is shorter and fatter than Andre Smith and he has academic ineligibility problems and some say character concerns at BC??

Why didn't BJ Raji run with his shirt off?

First off i hope you arent equating BC academics to that of Alabama. Raji had a problem with getting his courses straight, he has Zero character issues. Smith on the other hand looks like he's going down the Dennise Rodman road.

Saints-Tigers
03-13-2009, 03:20 PM
First off i hope you arent equating BC academics to that of Alabama. Raji had a problem with getting his courses straight, he has Zero character issues. Smith on the other hand looks like he's going down the Dennise Rodman road.

LOL, grossly overstated.

gameplaya2435
03-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Well seeing that pretty much every prospect in the background had their shirts off, I guess I can cut A Smith some slack for trying to fit in. I still see a walrus face with bug eyes on his stomach in that picture though. :p

As for B.J. Raji: he's a defensive linemen, he's expected to be dumb! (kidding) I do want to see Andre go up against Rich Eisen in the 40 though. Get on that, NFL Network.

ErikG803
03-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Andre Smith is PURE MUSCLE.

http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=TL&Dato=20090311&Kategori=TS32&Lopenr=311009998&Ref=PH&Item=17&MaxW=1000

phlysac
03-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I'd bet guys like Larry Allen won't get into the Hall of Fame if anyone ever sees them with their shirt off. Offensive Linemen simplay CANNOT succeed if they're fat.
/sarcasm

energizerbunny
03-14-2009, 04:07 PM
classic case of draft niks overrating a guys importance for his workouts.

No team will ever take Smith and play him anywhere other then LT, he is far to impressive to play anywhere else and moving him inside would waste one of his greatest assets.

Texas Homer
03-14-2009, 04:18 PM
I doubt Smith falls past 10.