PDA

View Full Version : Why does Austin Collie get no respect?

batsandgats
03-11-2009, 04:27 PM
He led the nation in recieving yet isnt considered a top receiver. I guess you can argue competition but he did well against utah who won the sugar bowl. Crabtree didnt face that great of defense's in the Big 12 and hes still considered a top prospect. Collie should be up there with the top 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye-Pdlk-kpU

nepg
03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
David Ball, Mike Hass (big fan of both, btw)... Just because he led the nation in receiving doesn't mean he's a great NFL WR prospect.
________
Web Shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Babylon
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I think he needs to better that 4.55 time from the combine. He's a good receiver that i have seen kill a lot of teams out here in the Northwest. A possession receiver with some speed who i actually think may have a nice pro career. My guess would be a 3rd round pick.

batsandgats
03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
the average time ran by wr's at this combine was 4.6, crabtree is probably going to run around the same time, larry fitzgerarld ran a 4.63 so i hope its not his 40 that is holding him back because it didnt hold others back. I see nothing in Austin Collie's game that doesnt say he wont be a great pro. Hes nothing like Mike Hass, and David Ball didnt even play division 1 i believe
3rd round pick sounds good but i think he should at least go in the 2nd

Menardo75
03-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Because he plays at BYU.

RWills
03-11-2009, 06:57 PM
He might turn into a solid slot WR, but this is the draft and he offers nothing to be taken high, good at a lot but not great at 1.

03-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Let's keep this up. We need another Jordyzz thread. :)

batsandgats
03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
what does byu or jordyzzz? have anything to do with the fact that he is a good player?.
What makes you think he can only be a slot receiver?

gpngc
03-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm with you.

Completely overlooked prospect. Will battle Iglesias as the 8th WR off the board.

3rd round probably, 2nd round possibly. I think he'd fit in with the Colts.

Crickett
03-11-2009, 07:39 PM
the average time ran by wr's at this combine was 4.6

And the average receiver isn't top 5 by definition (unless there are 10 receivers or less in the draft).

etk
03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Is this a rhetorical question? We all know the answer to the OP....

-White
-BYU
-Average 40 time

I love his skillset and I think he's a much better athlete than people give him credit for. He's a complete receiver IMO and I think he'll be a solid #2 in the league.

Would LOOOOOOOVE him on the Bucs in round 3.

batsandgats
03-11-2009, 08:05 PM
im glad some people realize hes a good receiver, i didnt realize being white and mormon could make you underrated. Kevin Curtis? well he is kind of underrated, although he did choke when it mattered most in the playoffs. Maybe its the Mormon part, cuz people love Welker...well he did bounce around a while before being discovered
I wasnt saying he was top 5 in 40 yard speed, just that he had around the same speed as most receivers but is more athletic than people give him credit for. Marques Colston ran a 4.55 and he can stretch the field. Whoever gets this kid is going to get a great receiver, and btw, i hope its not the Bucs that take him hehe, i am a Saints fan, i dont want to scream at my db's twice a year for getting burnt by a player i like. Maybe Sean Payton can pick him up if he falls to the 4th, we dont have many picks and need defense, but hes gotta pick an offensive player each draft and him falling to the 4th would be too great to pass up.

Geo
03-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I wish he ran a 4.45, because I would have really liked him for the Colts.

RWills
03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Didnt Kevin Curtis run a great 40? Big difference. Colston is a physical freak and comparing him and Collie are not even on the same planet

Babylon
03-11-2009, 08:20 PM
im glad some people realize hes a good receiver, i didnt realize being white and mormon could make you underrated. Kevin Curtis? well he is kind of underrated, although he did choke when it mattered most in the playoffs. Maybe its the Mormon part, cuz people love Welker...well he did bounce around a while before being discovered
I wasnt saying he was top 5 in 40 yard speed, just that he had around the same speed as most receivers but is more athletic than people give him credit for. Marques Colston ran a 4.55 and he can stretch the field. Whoever gets this kid is going to get a great receiver, and btw, i hope its not the Bucs that take him hehe, i am a Saints fan, i dont want to scream at my db's twice a year for getting burnt by a player i like. Maybe Sean Payton can pick him up if he falls to the 4th, we dont have many picks and need defense, but hes gotta pick an offensive player each draft and him falling to the 4th would be too great to pass up.

Not so sure about that.

batsandgats
03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
whether he choked or not is debateable, i dont think he did but alot of people seem to think so, so be it. I guess he can be the scapegoat for the reason why the 3 plays before that didnt work.
Kevin Curtis did run a fast time a hand times 4.21 and 4.35 electronic time, one of the fastest at that combine, but still went in the 3rd round, but that has nothing to do with it
Collie can be very physical. Hes 6'1something around the same height as Crabtree and i think possesses some of the same skillsets. Was in top ten for bench press so you know hes strong. As for Colston, he was drafted in the 7th round, so that goes to show how wrong scouts can be. Colston is very talented, but i wouldnt call him a "physical freak", he gets the job done very well. The point is, lots of good receivers run in the same range and running in a straight line for 40 yards in shorts doesnt mean that much. The only thing i see it useful for is cornerbacks because they need 4.3 or 4.4 speed to catch up if they make a mistake

PACKmanN
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
what does byu or jordyzzz? have anything to do with the fact that he is a good player?.
What makes you think he can only be a slot receiver?
are you thinking that Jordyzzz is only a slot receiver? yeah right, Jordyzzz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Collie.

I can go on forever.

jared
03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
He has speed on game day, that's for sure. The guy has been consistently productive in every game and is money as either a short or deep threat. It's just too bad that his game tape apparently doesn't give him the benefit of the doubt with regard to 40 time that Crabtree's does. Sigh... not that I'm surprised anymore. It'll be the same next year with Decker.

jballa838
03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I might go watch BYU's Pro day. but see the local. I believe

batsandgats
03-12-2009, 12:19 AM
He has speed on game day, that's for sure. The guy has been consistently productive in every game and is money as either a short or deep threat. It's just too bad that his game tape apparently doesn't give him the benefit of the doubt with regard to 40 time that Crabtree's does. Sigh... not that I'm surprised anymore. It'll be the same next year with Decker.

id like to see what they say the negatives on Decker are, hes a better prospect than Collie IMO, a little bigger and stronger, more physical (not saying Collie isnt, its just Decker is more physical) the only downfall is that he might play baseball, which i hope not. Id have a hard time choosing between the two if i had to pick just one to have on my team

DancingMonkey
03-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Love Collie as a player, and just to top off what has already been said about him - the kid loves to play football. One of the most passionate players I've seen at BYU in years.

Bronco in UT
03-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Huge Utah fan here, Collie is definitely legit. He also has some KR skills as well. For whatever reason his game speed is much faster than his 40 time. McCain ran a 4.24 at his pro day, and Collie constantly out ran him and the rest of our defense. Defenses spent an entire game plan on him while still failing to stop him. He will be a nice #2. YAC is what is holding him back.

etk
03-12-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't think Decker is a better prospect than Collie, but he's a different breed of receiver and would help out any team as a good possession guy.

jared: Don't expect much next year. Decker and Shipley will be grossly underrated.

jbooshey
03-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Any good pro's from BYU in the league right now? I know my team has Brady Poppinga...I like his motor, but he leaves a lot to be desired. Can't just hang on to Steve Young. Who else is out there?

SeanTaylorRIP
03-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Any good pro's from BYU in the league right now? I know my team has Brady Poppinga...I like his motor, but he leaves a lot to be desired. Can't just hang on to Steve Young. Who else is out there?

John Beck, Aaron Francisco, wait... NM.

nhlkdog411
03-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Is this a rhetorical question? We all know the answer to the OP....

-White
-BYU
-Average 40 time

I love his skillset and I think he's a much better athlete than people give him credit for. He's a complete receiver IMO and I think he'll be a solid #2 in the league.

Would LOOOOOOOVE him on the Bucs in round 3.

There we go..its pretty straightforward really. And I agree with your assessment as well..not a number 1 but could definitely fit as a 2 somewhere.

Babylon
03-13-2009, 11:33 AM

He has a chance with the right team to have a nice career and based on his skillset and speed i think that is what he should expect. Sort of reminds me of a Ricky Proehl, who played for the Rams and got himself a ring.

batsandgats
03-13-2009, 03:15 PM
hes way more athletic than ricky proehl

Babylon
03-13-2009, 03:50 PM
hes way more athletic than ricky proehl

Proehl came into the NFL as a 4.5 guy.

YAYareaRB
03-13-2009, 07:51 PM

John Tait, he's retiring now. Aaron Francisco. Chris Hoke and Ryan Denney. Doug Jolley. Not a lot.