PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Jackson vs Jarron Gilbert who is the better 3-4 DE?

bergo23
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I know Gilbert played at a small school, but his skills and showing at the Shrine game and combine seem to close the gap for me, to the point where teams like Washington and San Diego in the middle of the first might consider Gilbert.

Who will become the better 5 technique and WHY? I know Washington wouldn't be playing him there but rather beside Big Albert.....I am more interested in why Gilbert wouldn't be a GREAT pick for Rivera's defense, who values versatility having been schooled in the 3-4 and the 4-3.....Gilbert seems like the perfect player for that kind of versatility.

Thoughts?

BoltHype
03-12-2009, 11:32 AM
It's tough; has anyone legitimately seen Gilbert play?

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Two very similar prospects, ( personally I'd take Gilbert over Jackson), big, active, strong, agile.

I think Jarron has slightly more upside, but Tyson is being underrated so far in the draft, IMHO.

Saints-Tigers
03-12-2009, 11:46 AM
I think Gilbert is more of a penetrator than a guy that holds the point of attack. I think people are so down on Jackson because of his lack of sacks, but his passrushing was really good for a guy that holds the edge and occupies blockers and fills running lanes so well.

Matthew Jones
03-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I think Gilbert is more of a penetrator than a guy that holds the point of attack. I think people are so down on Jackson because of his lack of sacks, but his passrushing was really good for a guy that holds the edge and occupies blockers and fills running lanes so well.

I agree with this. From what I've seen of Gilbert, he's more of a rusher and Jackson is more complete. I'd take Jackson since he didn't come out of nowhere and I have more faith generally in bigger-school guys, but both are good prospects. I'd look at Tyson in the 16-24 range, and Gilbert in the 24-32 range.

Menardo75
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I would probably take Jackson because he is the best all around.

THav916
03-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Gilbert is perhaps my favorite player in this draft. My opinion is that Jackson is a better 3-4 DE prospect, as he's a more true 3-4 DE and does everything you want in the 3-4 DE. Gilbert's more of a projection of a 3-4 DE based on his skill set and more unproven. I actually think Gilbert might be the better prospect because of his versatility. I could see a team taking Gilbert at 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE or 4-3 DT, whereas Jackson seems like the perfect 3-4 DE and nothing else.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I have a hard time seeing Gilbert in the first round and a hard time seeing Jackson outside the top 20.

killxswitch
03-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Gilbert is perhaps my favorite player in this draft. My opinion is that Jackson is a better 3-4 DE prospect, as he's a more true 3-4 DE and does everything you want in the 3-4 DE. Gilbert's more of a projection of a 3-4 DE based on his skill set and more unproven. I actually think Gilbert might be the better prospect because of his versatility. I could see a team taking Gilbert at 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE or 4-3 DT, whereas Jackson seems like the perfect 3-4 DE and nothing else.

If Jackson lasted til the 27th pick I would be thrilled if the Colts took him as a 4-3 UT.

Mr. Hero
03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
If Tyson Jackson weren't such an under-achieving knucklehead this wouldn't even be a debate, he's a much more fluid athlete at that size, but I think Gilbert's going to be a better player unless TJ gets a coach who really lights a fire under his ass.

CC.SD
03-12-2009, 12:55 PM
If Tyson Jackson weren't such an under-achieving knucklehead this wouldn't even be a debate, he's a much more fluid athlete at that size, but I think Gilbert's going to be a better player unless TJ gets a coach who really lights a fire under his ass.

I wouldn't have put it like this, but have essentially the same thoughts; Jackson has a significantly higher ceiling, IMO as high as anyone in the draft. That kind of size with athleticism is pretty rare, he'd be a nifty pickup and I could easily see him fitting in with Jamal Williams and Luis Castillo.

bitonti
03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Tyson Jackson is better than Jarron Gilbert due to strength of competition. if anyone can name a good NFL prospect Jarron gilbert has beaten for 1 of his 20 career sacks ill give em a dollar.

roscoesdad27
03-12-2009, 01:59 PM
for a 3-4 defense i would take jackson as he has more size and strength...gilbert would be a very good 3-4 d.e. but i think he would be best utilized as a 4-3 l.e. that kicks inside to u.t. in nickel and dime packages ala justin tuck.

LonghornsLegend
03-12-2009, 02:10 PM
What is the upside with Tyson Jackson? If your just getting a Marcus Spears type then I don't see any reason he should go before pick 20, Gilbert while being more raw has way more upside it seems...I don't see him as a Igor type where he commands double teams and improves the run defense instantly, but I think he offers more pass rushing versatility from that end spot and a higher ceiling.

I guess it depends on need, but Tyson Jackson seems like an early 2nd rounder to me, he's at a position easy to find, and I don't see any attributes that makes him a thought at pick 16...Reminds me of Spears going early 1st, and Canty going in the 4th and Canty was by far the better player at end.