PDA

View Full Version : Six OT go in the first round? Check this out

BoltHype
03-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Based on what happened last year, I expect a similar run on offensive tackles to take place. Guys who might have high-to-mid second round grades could get taken in the first round simply because the demand is so high for offensive tackles.

What do you guys think about the following scenario:

02 - St. Louis Rams (Jason Smith)
Consensus pick for the Rams

06 - Cincinnati Bengals (Eugene Monroe)
Bengals need a left tackle and Monroe can be that for them

08 - Jacksonville Jaguars (Andre Smith)
The Jags wouldn't have any qualms about taking Andre Smith

10 - San Francisco 49'ers (Michael Oher)
I could see the niners passing on a QB, and I'm hearing from fans that they don't want a first-round QB anyways

16 - San Diego Chargers (Eben Britton)
Chargers took Britton's teammate Antoine Cason last year in the first round. They'll give him time to develop into a right tackle.

22 - Minnesota Vikings (Phil Loadholt)
The Vikings need a RT and Loadholt has been looking real good at the Combine and his Pro Day

Thoughts?

BoltHype
03-12-2009, 11:24 AM
BTW, this isn't a mock draft necessarily, I just wanted to talk about a potential run on Tackles and where they could end up going.

Mr.Regular
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Well there are pretty much 4 locks. And Britton and Beatty should be pushed up boards and have a very high chance of going round 1.
Loadholt, even though I like him, probably will last until round 2.

Yatta!
03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I think there first 5 are all pretty much sure fire first rounders and I could see Will Beatty sneaking in a la Duane Brown last year. It's not a crazy scenario by any means.

ElectricEye
03-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Don't see much of a chance for Loadholt to go in the first round at this point. He's improved his stock for sure, but mid second is more his range. Beatty would have a much better chance.

Couldn't see Britton drafted that early either.

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2009, 11:40 AM
I think 6 OTs will be taken in the first round, but Loadholt won't be one of them, IMO. I think Beatty will be that LT that sneaks up into the later portion of the first. Even if A. Smith or Oher fall, there are plenty of teams who would snag them in the first.

Menardo75
03-12-2009, 11:55 AM
If there are six taken the sixth would be Beatty not Loadholt.

THav916
03-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Six seems very reasonable, if not expected. I'm even wondering if a Meredith or Loadholt could sneak in as a 7th. Very few people thought Baker would last year and no one thought Brown would, so anything is possible. The projections from this thread as far as the #pick and tackle seemed reasonable and that was with the 6th OT going 22nd...leaving plenty of room for more taken.

BoltHype
03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I know Beatty has a higher ranking according to Scott, but you never know what NFL teams think. Loadholt has far superior physical tools is more scheme diverse. Beatty's slight frame might have him harder to fit schematically with power running teams

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I know Beatty has a higher ranking according to Scott, but you never know what NFL teams think. Loadholt has far superior physical tools is more scheme diverse. Beatty's slight frame might have him harder to fit schematically with power running teams

He has a trimmer frame, but he is already the relatively same size as the other top OTs (except for A. Smith). One could argue he could be schematically diverse because he has some room to add muscle yet as well...

If I had to bet on a 7th though, it'd be Meredith...

BoltHype
03-12-2009, 12:12 PM
He has a trimmer frame, but he is already the relatively same size as the other top OTs (except for A. Smith). One could argue he could be schematically diverse because he has some room to add muscle yet as well...

If I had to bet on a 7th though, it'd be Meredith...

It's a good point. If the Chargers, Steelers, and Vikings had to choose from either Loadholt or Beatty to play Right Tackle, I think they'd go Loadholt.

I think Beatty could play left tackle and is better there, but Loadholt could also play LT if it came down to it. But I do see him as a more natural RT

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2009, 12:14 PM
It's a good point. If the Chargers, Steelers, and Vikings had to choose from either Loadholt or Beatty to play Right Tackle, I think they'd go Loadholt.

I think Beatty could play left tackle and is better there, but Loadholt could also play LT if it came down to it. But I do see him as a more natural RT

Agreed, on both counts. Beatty isn't really a good fit at RT.

I think Meredith could sneak in there because he could possibly play either, though it would depend on where he goes with Tackle spot he plays...

I just see him as a better LT prospect than Loadholt, despite Loadholt having great height, arm length, and hands...

LonghornsLegend
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Beatty is really high up on some teams boards, I have been hearing scouts rave about his potential as a LT, I'd be surprised to see him fall to the 2nd...If so I wouldn't mind moving up for him, he's going to be a good one, just needs to bulk up some.

Loadholt will definately not be a 1st round pick.

Solomon
03-12-2009, 12:20 PM
I agree. I think 6 OTs will go in the first.

And guess what? I had Loadholt going to the Vikes in round 1 in my latest mock draft! The guy was already a strong mid second after the end of his senior season and in the offseason he has been very impressive. Getting stronger and in better shape than he's been in awhile, playing well at the senior bowl and reportedly performing very well in his position drills at his pro day. Minny seems to prefer massive, strong maulers on their line and Loadholt fits the bill better than any OT not named Andre Smith in the draft.

I also think the Giants will grab their LT of the future in William Beatty near the end of round 1.

Here are the teams that I think will strongly consider OT in the first round (and depending on how things shake out the Jaguars might still go OT since they need a long term solution):

Rams
Seahawks
Bengals
Raiders
Forty-Niners
Redskins
Chargers
Bears
Lions
Eagles
Vikings
Giants
Steelers (I know they have both starting OTs from 2008 returning but they haven't locked either up longterm, need an upgrade on the line and could conceivably kick somebody like Colon inside at guard if needed)

If half of them decide to go OT, that's 6 tackles right there.

BoltHype
03-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Solomon, I think Loadholt to the Vikes makes perfect sense, reunite him with his former Sooner teammate!

Matthew Jones
03-12-2009, 12:26 PM
If I was trying to fit six offensive tackles into the first round, here's what makes the most sense to me:

2. Rams - Jason Smith, Baylor

4. Seahawks - Eugene Monroe, Virginia

10. 49ers - Michael Oher, Mississippi

13. Redskins - Andre Smith, Alabama

20. Lions - William Beatty, Connecticut

21. Eagles - Eben Britton, Arizona

Something along those lines.

Mr. Hero
03-12-2009, 12:44 PM
William Beatty? He's a better prospect than Loadholt, whom i do like, and Britton. His only problem is he needs to bulk up a little. He's got very quick feet and a strong initial punch in pass pro, and as a run blocker he gets a great initial push, but just lacks the bulk to manhandle NFLers and finish his blocks.

Mr. Hero
03-12-2009, 12:48 PM

You mean power running teams like Uconn? Beatty gets a great initial push in the run game and defenders don't shake him, his only problem is he needs to add about 10-15 pounds of muscle to his frame so that he can finish his blocks and really take advantage of the early jump he gets on defenders.

CC.SD
03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I like Britton a lot as a prospect and think he will be a terrific tackle, but if he is all that's left at 16/Andre Smith is scratched from AJ's board, I think the Bolts will go in another direction and try to grab a RT in the third.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-12-2009, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=Solomon;1542806]

Rams
Seahawks
Bengals
Raiders
Forty-Niners
Redskins
Chargers
Bears
Lions
Eagles
Vikings
Giants
Steelers
[QUOTE]

This is a good list of the teams that could draft OT in the first. You are the first to mention the Bears. Currently the Bears have one OT on their team, a guy who barely played as a rookie last year. Ya think it's one of their priorities?

nepg
03-12-2009, 01:09 PM
I could see 8 going in the first round, actually...

Oher
Monroe
Smith
Smith
Britton
Beatty
Loadholt
Meredith (really has improved his stock)

Also, Duke Robinson might be looked at as a RT...so 9?
________
Paradise Park condo Jomtien (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

bitonti
03-12-2009, 01:47 PM
if there are 3 players (Britton, Loadholt and Beatty) for 2 spots i think Eben Britton is the odd man out. He reminds me of Eric Winston. the other guys are legit LTs (yes Loadholt is a poor mans Marcus McNeal)

andre smith I have listed as a guard and actually could fall out of the round at this rate.