PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with an anonymous N.F.L. scout

lionsfan81
03-12-2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_encroachment/167/20090312/from_the_inside_part_ii_interview_with_the_scout/

My Favorite Part:

JR: So are there any players who you have found to be, shall we say, disappointing in the interview room or off-camera?

Scout: Well I donít want to give out his name, but we talked with a kid in Indy that most everyone thinks is a real high first round pick. And he was dumber than a fencepost. We asked him about school and classes and stuff like that and he was like, enough already, Iím done with that (excrement), where is my paycheck... Another kid we had in just didnít get it. Everything was Jesus. Get him off Jesus and he might as well be a deaf-mute. Jesus wants you to answer a question without him, son. Real odd too, because his agent is Jewish (laughs).

BJ Raji for the dumb guy maybe???

I KNOW IT ALL
03-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Raji seems pretty sharp to me:

pj2X92O3OVQ

lionsfan81
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Raji seems pretty sharp to me:

I guessed Raji cause he was academically ineligible for his junior year, therefore not caring about grades or whatever.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
That was a very interesting read. Gotta wonder how reliable it is, but it definitely has some great insights we usually aren't privileged to.

Paul
03-12-2009, 01:24 PM
I guessed Raji cause he was academically ineligible for his junior year, therefore not caring about grades or whatever.

I believe it was either BC or his adviser that kind of flubbed some paperwork that made him ineligible. I can't really recall the story.

FinChase
03-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Interesting read. I'd love to know who some of the unnamed players were.

Flyboy
03-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Scout: Well I donít want to give out his name, but we talked with a kid in Indy that most everyone thinks is a real high first round pick. And he was dumber than a fencepost. We asked him about school and classes and stuff like that and he was like, enough already, Iím done with that (excrement), where is my paycheck... Another kid we had in just didnít get it. Everything was Jesus. Get him off Jesus and he might as well be a deaf-mute. Jesus wants you to answer a question without him, son. Real odd too, because his agent is Jewish (laughs).

I lawl'd so hard at that ****.

killxswitch
03-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Funny stuff. I am glad to read the Britt quote so all the "he's a drama queen" ******** can stop.

Saints-Tigers
03-12-2009, 01:43 PM
That's legit stuff, I'm a mod over on RealGM, and Jeff Risdon is a respected figure, and he's a scout for some (unnamed) team.

He's always hitting us with good insider info.

BeerBaron
03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
BJ Raji for the dumb guy maybe???

Nah, I wouldn't think Raji....

Vontae Davis maybe? Unless it's real obvious and it's Andre Smith, Davis is my 2nd pick for who the dumb guy was.

ManOverboard
03-12-2009, 02:02 PM
DHB maybe?

phlysac
03-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Nah, I wouldn't think Raji....

Vontae Davis maybe? Unless it's real obvious and it's Andre Smith, Davis is my 2nd pick for who the dumb guy was.

Doubt it's Davis...
Like this year, the (Vontae) Davis kid from Illinois. Heís had some problems but you can tell by talking to him and looking him in the eye that he gets it now.

or Smith...
You know, he is a naÔve young man who made some dumb choices. First thing I would tell him is to fire his agent and get with someone more reputable. You know, someone who can do some damage control and earn some trust back in his corner. The kid is a monster on the field, just a beast. Heís probably the best run blocker Iíve ever seen coming out of college. But he has got to prove he learns from his mistakes

I wonder who?

ManOverboard
03-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Britt is supposed to hit the weight room harder? He did 23 reps...more than Andre Smith.

diabsoule
03-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Maclin for the dumb guy?

Don Vito
03-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Raji is not an idiot, he's actually pretty smart. BC duffed it with his credits and he was ineligible for last year, it was not his academic performance that held him back.

Race for the Heisman
03-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Knowshon perhaps?

Matthew Jones
03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I was actually trying to figure this out by reading interviews:

Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez
Beanie Wells, Knowshon Moreno
Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin
Eugene Monroe, Michael Oher, Jason Smith, Andre Smith
Brian Orakpo, Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin
B.J. Raji
Aaron Curry, Rey Maualuga

That's who I ruled out for not making a lot of Jesus references. I was thinking it was probably a junior or sophomore because they obviously didn't care to complete their education.

BeerBaron
03-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I assume that it's an underclassmen if he hated school that much and is projected as a high pick. If it's not Davis or Andre Smith, then I'm a little more stumped.

Stafford
Crabtree
Maclin
Wells
Sanchez
Andre Smith
Vontae
Harvin
DHB
Maybin

Are the guys I'm looking through and thinking about....I dunno.

Matthew Jones
03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
I am thinking it may be Malcolm Jenkins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WxJm-E7FNg&feature=related

Just a guess. Anyone know if his agent is Jewish?

BeerBaron
03-12-2009, 02:18 PM
I am thinking it may be Malcolm Jenkins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WxJm-E7FNg&feature=related

Just a guess. Anyone know if his agent is Jewish?

I think that the dumb guy and the religious nut are 2 different players. It doesn't say if the religious guy is projected high or not, so that one could be anybody.

Babylon
03-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm thinking name names or shut the hell up.

Matthew Jones
03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I think that the dumb guy and the religious nut are 2 different players. It doesn't say if the religious guy is projected high or not, so that one could be anybody.

Oh, okay. I must have read that wrong. I could see Raji as the dumb guy, being a smart guy doesn't seem to be one of his strengths. I don't see what's wrong with being religious though.

thetedginnshow
03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Huh. By reading that, you can tell how scouts allow themselves to get tricked into making bad decisions. I guess they're human after all.

CashmoneyDrew
03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking name names or shut the hell up.

Yeah, same here. If you're already guaranteed anonymity, then why not just say who you think is dumber than a box of rocks?

gpngc
03-12-2009, 02:24 PM
I'd guess P. Harvin.

Sanchez is too smart to say that, V. Davis was on ESPN yesterday and speaks fine, Knowshon was great at his presser at the combine, Maclin didn't seem too dumb when he was interviewed either.

So yea, I'd guess P. Harvin.

CashmoneyDrew
03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
I'd say Maybin if we're including him in this list.

brat316
03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Come on dumb kid has to be Crabtree remember that Texas game.

I ..I just dreamt in my head

ManOverboard
03-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Crabtree doesn't seem like he would be like "just give me my money already, **** school and grades and all that"

CashmoneyDrew
03-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Hahaha, I loved that. And I love Crabs way too much to believe it's him. Don't be stupid Crabtree! Stupidity is the way of the mortals and that is not your path sir!

jth1331
03-12-2009, 02:44 PM
From what I hear about people I know that are at Tech, Crabtree is very cocky and would seem to fit the bill of one of those guys that doesn't care about school and just wants to get his money now.

georgiafan
03-12-2009, 02:58 PM
C'mon yall know whoever said it was a WR.

CroomDawgs
03-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm goin with harvin, Maybe Chris Wells?

phlysac
03-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Andre Smith was the "Jesus" guy. He mentioned God a multitude of times in his Pro-Day presser yesterday. Even saying...
I serve a sovereign God. Noone can take away what God has for me.

just a hunch.

Brent
03-12-2009, 03:12 PM
JR: Have any other QBs stood out or climbed the draft board for your team since we talked in Mobile?

Scout: We’ve been looking real hard at the (Stephen) McGee kid from (Texas) A&M. He looks great outside that (read-option) offense they ran. He’s got a much better arm than they ever let him show and he’s got the accuracy. He needs some work to get out of the habits that that offense teaches but he’s a kid who has already shown us how quickly he can learn.
Yes! haha.

thetedginnshow
03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm goin with harvin, Maybe Chris Wells?

Beanie is actually pretty articulate.

LonghornsLegend
03-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Yes! haha.

McGee has some talent, hopefully he doesn't move up too much, I'm trying to pimp him in the cowboy draft thread, he's got great size and he reminds me a bit of Romo, I think he'd be perfect to groom for 2-3 years in our system and see what we have.

holt_bruce81
03-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I'd say Crabtree.

Im_a_Romosexual
03-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Pettigrew maybe?

scar988
03-12-2009, 03:33 PM
my guess on the dumb kid is Everett Brown from FSU.

Brent
03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I think it's Oher or Andre Smith for the dumb kid.

ThePudge
03-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Ignore my previous post.

As for the player that just wants his paycheck, I would assume that is Eugene Monroe.

'cuse-213
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKfVdJSAx0

Its a no-brainer... Literally?

Geason Noceur
03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Knowshon perhaps?

Moreno seemed very humble in his presser, and he even said that one of his primary goals was to return to school and graduate.

bucs-buffs-avs
03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Knowshon perhaps?

For the dumb guy? I highly doubt it. I saw him on ESPN a few weeks ago and he was very articulate. Curry too.

WMD
03-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Whoever said that is double the idiot, because first off, it's just a dumb thing to say.. Secondly, it's a dumb thing to say AT THE FREAKING COMBINE.

This guy wasn't even smart enough to lie.. I'd love to find out who it was.

sbh15
03-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I'd guess P. Harvin.

Sanchez is too smart to say that, V. Davis was on ESPN yesterday and speaks fine, Knowshon was great at his presser at the combine, Maclin didn't seem too dumb when he was interviewed either.

So yea, I'd guess P. Harvin.

Did you see Percy after the National Championship? He's actually quite articulate. Not to mention, he planned on staying in school until a couple of teams told him he was way high up on their boards.

gpngc
03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Did you see Percy after the National Championship? He's actually quite articulate. Not to mention, he planned on staying in school until a couple of teams told him he was way high up on their boards.

Nope- I didn't watch the postgame stuff.

Just a blind guess.

My new guess would be Aaron Maybin or E. Brown!

WMD
03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Blind guess, I'd say Mark Sanchez. He seems like an asshole to me. Not that I know him, I just kind of get that impression.

Dark Knight01
03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Why would a "scout" say this, not name a name and remain anonymous?? :confused:

The scout sounds about as smart as the player he didn't name!

LOL

I KNOW IT ALL
03-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Blind guess, I'd say Mark Sanchez. He seems like an asshole to me. Not that I know him, I just kind of get that impression.

He might be an asshole but I doubt he would come across as stupid or ignorant in an interview. The guy knows how to deal with the media.

DJC
03-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Why would a "scout" say this, not name a name and remain anonymous?? :confused:

The scout sounds about as smart as the player he didn't name!

LOL

To save his job maybe? And he did name names. The guy doing the interview, Jeff Ridson, left them out I'm guessing upon request.

Punisher
03-12-2009, 06:11 PM

Haha Mark is the most humble athlete you could meet. He is a role model here in Mission Viejo, and a grade A human being. Very quiet person as well off the field.

SFbear
03-12-2009, 06:14 PM
This one intrigued me but I don't think I would ever be able to figure out who the two players were

"Two years ago we brought in a player a lot of people assumed we had an interest in drafting. We didnít really but we played along, you know, hoping to see if somebody else who wanted him would trade up. Well, whatís funny is that he was still on the board when we picked and we took another kid that we never brought in, and you could see the shock on Mel Kiperís face. And you know what, he wound up not working out too well for the team that took him and weíre very happy with our pick. (Note: he told me the players involved, and his comments are a major understatement)."

Race for the Heisman
03-12-2009, 06:19 PM
64 Potentials

1) Ayers, Robert; Tennessee
2) Beatty, William; Connecticut
3) Bomar, Rhett; Sam Houston State
4) Brace, Ron; Boston College
5) Britt, Kenny; Rutgers
6) Britton, Eben; Arizona
7) Brown, Donald; Connecticut
8) Brown, Everette; Florida State
9) Butler, Darius; Connecticut
10) Coffman, Chase; Missouri
11) Cook, Jared; South Carolina
12) Crabtree, Michael; Texas Tech
13) Curry, Aaron; Wake Forest
14) Cushing, Brian; Southern Cal
15) Davis, Vontae; Illinois
16) Delmas, Louis; Western Michigan
17) English, Larry; Northern Illinois
18) Freeman, Josh; Kansas State
19) Gilbert, Jarron; San Jose State
20) Greene, Shonn; Iowa
21) Harvin, Percy; Florida
22) Heyward-Bey, Darrius; Maryland
23) Hood, Evander; Missouri
24) Jackson, Tyson; Louisiana State
25) Jean-Francois; Ricky
26) Jenkins, Malcolm; Ohio State
27) Jerry, Peria; Ole Miss
28) Johnson, Michael; Georgia Tech
29) Johnson, Rashad; Alabama
30) Kruger, Paul; Utah
31) Laurinaitis; James; Ohio State
32) Loadholt, Phil; Oklahoma
33) Luigs, Jonathan; Arkansas
34) Mack, Alex; Cal
35) Maclin, Jeremy; Missouri
36) Marks, Seníderrick; Auburn
37) Matthews, Clay; Southern Cal
38) Maybin, Aaron; Penn State
39) Maualuga, Rey; Southern Cal
40) McCoy, LeSean; Pittsburgh
41) Meredith, Jamon; South Carolina
42) Monroe, Eugene; Virginia
43) Moore, D.J; Vanderbilt
44) Moore, William; Missouri
45) Moreno, Knowshon; Georgia
46) Nelson, Shawn; Southern Miss
47) Nicks, Hakeem; North Carolina
48) Oher, Michael; Ole Miss
49) Orakpo, Brian; Texas
50) Pettigrew, Brandon; Oklahoma State
51) Raji, B.J; Boston College
52) Robinson, Duke; Oklahoma
53) Robiskie, Brian; Ohio State
54) Sanchez, Mark; Southern Cal
55) Sintim, Clint; Virginia
56) Smith, Alphonso; Wake Forest
57) Smith, Andre; Alabama
58) Smith, Jason; Baylor
59) Smith, Sean; Utah
60) Stafford, Matthew; Georgia
61) Unger, Max; Oregon
62) White, Patrick; West Virginia
63) Wells, Chris; Ohio State
64) Wood, Eric; Louisville

Gimme the Money:

2) Beatty, William; Connecticut
4) Brace, Ron; Boston College
5) Britt, Kenny; Rutgers
6) Britton, Eben; Arizona
8) Brown, Everette; Florida State
9) Butler, Darius; Connecticut
10) Coffman, Chase; Missouri
11) Cook, Jared; South Carolina
12) Crabtree, Michael; Texas Tech
18) Freeman, Josh; Kansas State
19) Gilbert, Jarron; San Jose State
20) Greene, Shonn; Iowa
21) Harvin, Percy; Florida
22) Heyward-Bey, Darrius; Maryland
23) Hood, Evander; Missouri
24) Jackson, Tyson; Louisiana State
25) Jean-Francois, Ricky; Louisiana State
27) Jerry, Peria; Ole Miss
28) Johnson, Michael; Georgia Tech
30) Kruger, Paul; Utah
32) Loadholt, Phil; Oklahoma
35) Maclin, Jeremy; Missouri
36) Marks, Seníderrick; Auburn
38) Maybin, Aaron; Penn State
40) McCoy, LeSean; Pittsburgh
41) Meredith, Jamon; South Carolina
42) Monroe, Eugene; Virginia
43) Moore, D.J; Vanderbilt
44) Moore, William; Missouri
45) Moreno, Knowshon; Georgia
46) Nelson, Shawn; Southern Miss
47) Nicks, Hakeem; North Carolina
49) Orakpo, Brian; Texas
50) Pettigrew, Brandon; Oklahoma State
52) Robinson, Duke; Oklahoma
55) Sintim, Clint; Virginia
56) Smith, Alphonso; Wake Forest
59) Smith, Sean; Utah
60) Stafford, Matthew; Georgia
61) Unger, Max; Oregon

That's just a general narrowing, can't say I really know any of the personally, now can I? I'm thinking bigger school, probably highly recruited, possibly an underclass although maybe a senior who was close to coming out before.

Can't say I know too much about who the Jesus-Freak might be but maybe Jared Cook? I seem to remember some story about him in that light, but at the same time I don't want to be libelious? Maybe Darius Butler? Ricky Jean-Francois (I know he's not that highly rated, but he stuck out in my mind)?

PossibleCabbage
03-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Aren't we potentially overthinking this? Wasn't the report at the combine that Andre Smith came across really poorly in interviews, and hasn't his general demeanor so far in the pre-draft process been indicative of "I got this in the bag, pay me"?

XRage
03-12-2009, 06:23 PM
For the dumb guy, I have a strong hunch that its probably Crabtree. I remember watching his presser from the Combine a couple weeks back and was amazed at how dumb he sounded. I have no clue on the religious guy.

I'm thinking that the team the scout works for is either the Dolphins or the Titans. He mentioned that two years ago they drafted a guy that nobody saw coming, and they are pretty happy with the guy they drafted while the guy they passed on isn't making his team too happy. The two big draft day surprises that jump out at me from the '07 draft were Ted Ginn at #9 and Tennessee passing on local star Robert Meachem for Michael Griffin. But I'm thinking its not Miami because the anonymous scout mentioned specifically that Mel Kiper's face was shocked at the pick, while its safe to say that everyone in the world was shocked by that pick. I'm also not sure that its Tennessee because even though they are pretty happy with Michael Griffin, I'm not sure that New Orleans is unhappy with Robert Meachem. I don't follow the Saints and I know he hasn't lit the world on fire, but he did score 4 touchdowns on only 13 touches last year. I'm also inclined to believe that the scout works for a team in the AFC East or on the west coast somewhere since he mentioned Marshawn Lynch solely by his last name, hinting that he is pretty familiar with him.

gpngc
03-12-2009, 07:07 PM
For the dumb guy, I have a strong hunch that its probably Crabtree. I remember watching his presser from the Combine a couple weeks back and was amazed at how dumb he sounded. I have no clue on the religious guy.

I'm thinking that the team the scout works for is either the Dolphins or the Titans. He mentioned that two years ago they drafted a guy that nobody saw coming, and they are pretty happy with the guy they drafted while the guy they passed on isn't making his team too happy. The two big draft day surprises that jump out at me from the '07 draft were Ted Ginn at #9 and Tennessee passing on local star Robert Meachem for Michael Griffin. But I'm thinking its not Miami because the anonymous scout mentioned specifically that Mel Kiper's face was shocked at the pick, while its safe to say that everyone in the world was shocked by that pick. I'm also not sure that its Tennessee because even though they are pretty happy with Michael Griffin, I'm not sure that New Orleans is unhappy with Robert Meachem. I don't follow the Saints and I know he hasn't lit the world on fire, but he did score 4 touchdowns on only 13 touches last year. I'm also inclined to believe that the scout works for a team in the AFC East or on the west coast somewhere since he mentioned Marshawn Lynch solely by his last name, hinting that he is pretty familiar with him.

Griffin-Meachem-Titans scout is a great guess.

Here are my others- remember the writer said MAJOR understatement:

Carriker/J. Anderson-Adrian Peterson-Vikings scout is another guess for me (I THINK Minny wanted a DE that year?)

Carriker-P. Willis- 49ers scout is my other guess.

G. Adams-C. Johnson-Lions scout is a decent guess but I doubt any Lions scouts are doing interviews lol.

Who before #17 was linked to Jarvis Moss? That's another possibility. I'm pretty sure we could narrow this down assuming it was a first round scenario (the word MAJOR makes it sound like it was).

I mean Justin Harrell was a MAJOR bust but no one considered him higher than #15 IIRC.

PossibleCabbage
03-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure that New Orleans is unhappy with Robert Meachem.

Well, considering that he's currently buried on the depth chart behind Marques Colston, Lance Moore and Devery Henderson; and has been called out several times by the coaching staff for "mental mistakes", and whispers from the Saints inner circle have been along the lines of "The NFL game is too big for Meachem", I would say it's almost certain that New Orleans is unhappy with Robert Meachem.

At least, I would hope that no team would be happy with a first round draft pick who the coaches don't trust, and is no higher than fourth on the depth chart two years after he was drafted (behind a 7th round pick, a 2nd round pick, and an UDFA).

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm afraid the dumb guy could have been Oher. He missed a lot of time from middle and secondary school as a young man from being homeless periodically.

Crabtree vibes like he was show me the money in interviews.

Jesus freak was either Laurinaitis or Malcolm Jenkins.

I'm down with JC too, but whoever it was must have gone overboard in the Combine interview.

There's clips of both giving personal testimonies of their faith on youtube.

steelersfan43
03-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Oh, okay. I must have read that wrong. I could see Raji as the dumb guy, being a smart guy doesn't seem to be one of his strengths. I don't see what's wrong with being religious though.
He should keep it to himself... If you are answering questions for scouts and you mention jesus in every one of them you have a problem.

steelersfan43
03-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm afraid the dumb guy could have been Oher. He missed a lot of time from middle and secondary school as a young man from being homeless periodically.

Crabtree vibes like he was show me the money in interviews.

Jesus freak was either Laurinaitis or Malcolm Jenkins.

I'm down with JC too, but whoever it was must have gone overboard in the Combine interview.

There's clips of both giving personal testimonies of their faith on youtube.
I didnt know that about Oher, I like him a lot more now. (i dont know why lol, i feel bad for him.)

PossibleCabbage
03-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I mean Justin Harrell was a MAJOR bust but no one considered him higher than #15 IIRC.

Can you really call a player a major bust if he's still in the league, and he's been limited in his two seasons not by inadequacy, but by injury?

It seems to me that guys are injury busts only after the team that drafted them gives up on them. But a guy who's hurt for his first two years shouldn't be labeled a bust, simply because he could get healthy and be great for the rest of his career.

Beans
03-12-2009, 07:34 PM
http://whereswaldo.com/fankit/graphics/IntlManOfLiterature/Scenes/DepartmentStore.jpg

gpngc
03-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Can you really call a player a major bust if he's still in the league, and he's been limited in his two seasons not by inadequacy, but by injury?

It seems to me that guys are injury busts only after the team that drafted them gives up on them. But a guy who's hurt for his first two years shouldn't be labeled a bust, simply because he could get healthy and be great for the rest of his career.

I mean you can at this point, but sure- he could turn it around and prove me wrong of course...

Harrell being a bust or not is completely irrelevant to this thread- so why bring it up? All I'm trying to do is narrow down the search for the mystery scout.

CashmoneyDrew
03-12-2009, 07:42 PM
http://whereswaldo.com/fankit/graphics/IntlManOfLiterature/Scenes/DepartmentStore.jpg

I found him!

Beans
03-12-2009, 07:43 PM
I found him!

the dumb guy or the jesus guy

CashmoneyDrew
03-12-2009, 07:45 PM
the dumb guy or the jesus guy

Screw that. I was looking for Waldo.

keylime_5
03-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I think it's Mike Crabtree.

EDIT: upon reading the thread it seems like that's the popular choice.

However, it seems some of you (racetoheisman :)) put waaaay too much time into thinking about this though.

Race for the Heisman
03-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I think it's Mike Crabtree.

EDIT: upon reading the thread it seems like that's the popular choice.

However, it seems some of you (racetoheisman :)) put waaaay too much time into thinking about this though.

Not really, it was more like a big board plus a few select juniors and then cut the fat. Plus I'm on spring break, I'm enjoying doing nothing for a week.

keylime_5
03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
haha, I wish I could say the same about my spring break. Catchin' up on work all week.

Question for BeansDooma though, did you find that image or did you actually take the time to scan it in? Whoever scanned it originally, I gotta wonder why the heck for (you can find anything on google these days).

Beans
03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
googled it

P-L
03-12-2009, 10:45 PM
This was the most interesting part in my opinion.

JR: I know neither guy is in your particular region, but I’ll ask you what everyone asks me: Your thoughts on Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez?

Scout: I really love Stafford. All these people talk about how he’s inconsistent, how he’s not accurate enough, how he throws too many picks. That was the same things everyone said about Matt Ryan and look at him now. Stafford has a better arm (than Ryan) to boot. Sanchez is a different type of quarterback. Real athletic kid, very smart. I see a lot of Brady Quinn in him. I like what you said about him in Mobile (we had dinner during Senior Bowl week). We haven’t seen enough of him, but everything we’ve seen of him is damn impressive. In my mind both these kids are better than anyone who came out last year. I just don’t get why it seems everyone is so down on these kids.

JT Jag
03-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I have a STRONG hunch that Andre is the Jesus Freak.

ironman4579
03-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Well, considering that he's currently buried on the depth chart behind Marques Colston, Lance Moore and Devery Henderson; and has been called out several times by the coaching staff for "mental mistakes", and whispers from the Saints inner circle have been along the lines of "The NFL game is too big for Meachem", I would say it's almost certain that New Orleans is unhappy with Robert Meachem.

At least, I would hope that no team would be happy with a first round draft pick who the coaches don't trust, and is no higher than fourth on the depth chart two years after he was drafted (behind a 7th round pick, a 2nd round pick, and an UDFA).

He may be farther down the depth chart than that even, if the reports out of Saints training camp and pre season last year on Adrian Arrington prove true.

bucs-buffs-avs
03-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Griffin-Meachem-Titans scout is a great guess.

Here are my others- remember the writer said MAJOR understatement:

Carriker/J. Anderson-Adrian Peterson-Vikings scout is another guess for me (I THINK Minny wanted a DE that year?)

Carriker-P. Willis- 49ers scout is my other guess.

G. Adams-C. Johnson-Lions scout is a decent guess but I doubt any Lions scouts are doing interviews lol.

Who before #17 was linked to Jarvis Moss? That's another possibility. I'm pretty sure we could narrow this down assuming it was a first round scenario (the word MAJOR makes it sound like it was).

Adams has been very, very far from useless. He said major understatement. This wouldn't be a major understatement at all.

lionsfan81
03-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Adams has been very, very far from useless. He said major understatement. This wouldn't be a major understatement at all.

We should think big busts. My guess is the Lions drafting Mike Williams. Maybe he is a scout for the vikings and they brought Mike in for an interview but actually took Troy Williamson?? I dunno that's my guess at least. Just trying to think who would be a major understatement, so it has to be a big time bust.

ironman4579
03-12-2009, 11:15 PM
We should think big busts. My guess is the Lions drafting Mike Williams. Maybe he is a scout for the vikings and they brought Mike in for an interview but actually took Troy Williamson?? I dunno that's my guess at least. Just trying to think who would be a major understatement, so it has to be a big time bust.

But it would likely also have to be a big time stud on the other side as well. Williamson is far from a stud, although I think you have the right idea. We need to think beyond just two years ago. Just because the guy said "a couple years ago" doesn't mean he actually meant two years.

CantStopGregJones
03-12-2009, 11:21 PM
The dumb guy is hands down Rey Mauluga hands down and if you don't believe that then you too are a "dumb guy". The guy is a worthless thug.

lionsfan81
03-12-2009, 11:24 PM
The dumb guy is hands down Rey Mauluga hands down and if you don't believe that then you too are a "dumb guy". The guy is a worthless thug.

I thought about Mauluga as well.

BamaFalcon59
03-12-2009, 11:28 PM
The scout works for the Vikings. Well, that's a guess.

- Adrian Peterson over Jamaal Anderson. MAJOR understatement. All Pro vs. DE who may be cut.

- QB love. He obviously has seen a lot of the two QBs, and the Vikings need one badly. Anyone would look good to them.

I'd also say a Jaguars rep seems plausible. Andre Smith seems like a possibility and some mocks have Crabtree, who may be the 'dumb' player, being selected by them. Reggie Nelson was a good pick, but not an understatement unless the other guy has been really bad. And I think they brought Nelson in before the draft.

The Jets would make sense. Need a QB, were rumored to be interested in Jarvis Moss I believe. Got Derrelle Revis.

My first guess would be the Vikings. Then the Jets.

LonghornsLegend
03-13-2009, 12:22 AM
This one intrigued me but I don't think I would ever be able to figure out who the two players were

"Two years ago we brought in a player a lot of people assumed we had an interest in drafting. We didnít really but we played along, you know, hoping to see if somebody else who wanted him would trade up. Well, whatís funny is that he was still on the board when we picked and we took another kid that we never brought in, and you could see the shock on Mel Kiperís face. And you know what, he wound up not working out too well for the team that took him and weíre very happy with our pick. (Note: he told me the players involved, and his comments are a major understatement)."

I think the one player has to be Justin Harrell, who else is a huge bust from that 1st round? Jarvis Moss came to mind, but he's still going to have a key role for Denver next year...Can't figure out who the other player is that worked out for said team though.

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2009, 12:42 AM
It wasn't Justin Harrell. The guy said the player they passed on was slated to them in the first round. Harrell was considered as huge reach in the mid-late teens, so the team would have had to been rumored to want him above that.

So I doubt it.

Strawdog
03-13-2009, 12:42 AM
I think the one player has to be Justin Harrell, who else is a huge bust from that 1st round? Jarvis Moss came to mind, but he's still going to have a key role for Denver next year...Can't figure out who the other player is that worked out for said team though.

At one point in the interview he says the GM for his team doesn't watch a lot of film, preferring to get the information from the scouts. I'm not positive about him, but that seems to exclude Ted Thompson/Packers.

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2009, 12:44 AM
At one point in the interview he says the GM for his team doesn't watch a lot of film, preferring to get the information from the scouts. I'm not positive about him, but that seems to exclude Ted Thompson/Packers.

For his team. Thompson would have been the GM of the team who passed on the player that the scouts team was supposed to take.

Wordy enough? Haha.

Strawdog
03-13-2009, 12:48 AM
For his team. Thompson would have been the GM of the team who passed on the player that the scouts team was supposed to take.

You're right. I swapped the order of the players.

I wonder if it's Buffalo and Donte Whitner. I remember that being a reach, but I don't remember who Buffalo was considered to be targeting that year.

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2009, 12:51 AM
You're right. I swapped the order of the players.

I wonder if it's Buffalo and Donte Whitner. I remember that being a reach, but I don't remember who Buffalo was considered to be targeting that year.

That was three years ago, and it's not because the scout said they were right about Marshawn Lynch.

And it's not the Broncos because he spoke badly of Brandon Marshall as well.

OzTitan
03-13-2009, 01:00 AM
Right now (a prominent network’s mock) has us taking a kid I can guarantee you we have no interest in. And the explanation he gives is that we have to love some things about him. No, we don’t.

Two years ago we brought in a player a lot of people assumed we had an interest in drafting. We didn’t really but we played along, you know, hoping to see if somebody else who wanted him would trade up. Well, what’s funny is that he was still on the board when we picked and we took another kid that we never brought in, and you could see the shock on Mel Kiper’s face. And you know what, he wound up not working out too well for the team that took him and we’re very happy with our pick. (Note: he told me the players involved, and his comments are a major understatement).

Not that knowing which team's scout this is is really that big a deal, but there are a few dots to connect there.

- Big network mock, giving X team a player that's probably too obvious and probably at least mentions the word "love" in the reasoning, e.g. "this team loves this type of speed" or something like that.

-The editor's note on the 2nd quote is key. "Major understatement"? So it's a team and player who were a popular match in mocks in 2007, but the team went a different way, and the player is now a seemingly major disappointment, while the team's actual pick is not. Someone clever enough may be able to even lower the potential field down by the fact the player the team chose was not brought in, but the player everyone thought they would take was (hard info to find but it probably is out there somewhere).

Quick glance and the Titans, Meachem and Griffin config mentioned earlier makes some sense.

Flyboy
03-13-2009, 01:16 AM
EDIT: Eh, nevermind. I'm dumb.

Diehard
03-13-2009, 01:50 AM
- Big network mock, giving X team a player that's probably too obvious and probably at least mentions the word "love" in the reasoning, e.g. "this team loves this type of speed" or something like that.

From NFL.com:

The Titans love tough defensive players, and Ayers' showing at the Senior Bowl and combine put him in the first round. The Freak can't play forever at left defensive end.

Doesn't fit too badly. Also:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-04-23-683410518_x.htm

But Meachem is a much bigger target at 6-foot-3, 217 pounds compared to the 6-foot Ginn. The Titans sent offensive coordinator Norm Chow and Reinfeldt to watch Meachem at his pro day last month, and the receiver was among the first to visit team officials in Nashville.

The evidence mounts?

OzTitan
03-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Good work. Now all we need is some suggestion Griffin didn't visit the Titans, and we can slap a label on this :)

Ayers fits the comment rather well because most UT fans I've talked to can't seem to figure out why he's getting the attention he is after a so-so college career. Being close to a local, the Titans probably have a pretty good idea of him as a prospect already and may have taken him off their board.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Kiper has/had the Titans taking Michael Johnson. Apparently the Kearse pick still has weight when labelling the Titans as a lover of raw physical freaks at DE - and he could easily be a guy a team completely takes off their 1st round board for sure.

OzTitan
03-13-2009, 02:38 AM
Hrm actually I'm thinking that interview was probably done before Kirwan's v3.0 mock where he says the Titans "love" tought defensive players. Ayers is the Titans pick in his 1.0 and 2.0 mock, however he doesn't use the term "love". Not sure if that's really vital, but it seems like a deliberate reference to me by the scout. Then again, it isn't quoted or emphasized in any way....

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Kirwin is an NFL.com writer. The "network" reference seems to me it would be pointing towards ESPN or the NFLN. Would Kirwan's mock be broadcast on the NFL Network?

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
03-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Knowshon perhaps?

Knowshon's a pretty articulate kid. He has a little "Hines Ward" in him...in that he's always joking and laughing...some people seem to mistake that for stupidity.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2008/09/10/knowshon-likes-legos-now-this-is-news/

PACKmanN
03-13-2009, 07:20 AM
who was Buffalo excepted to take before they drafted Lynch? maybe its them? or even the Redskins? many taught they were going to take Gaines.

Larry121283
03-13-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't think a scout, knowing what Michael Oher's life has been about (at this point, who doesn't?), would come out in the way he did saying he is "dumb" with the color he gave it...

It'd be like calling Frankie Gore dumb in that color...you just wouldn't project your thoughts on it in that way.

Also, I doubt it is Smith, because he touches on Smith in the article...doubt he'd remain anonymous on a kid he already talked about and actually shed some negative (as well as positive) things on him.

I don't think "dumb" would be a way to describe the person he is describing either.

Larry121283
03-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Hrm actually I'm thinking that interview was probably done before Kirwan's v3.0 mock where he says the Titans "love" tought defensive players. Ayers is the Titans pick in his 1.0 and 2.0 mock, however he doesn't use the term "love". Not sure if that's really vital, but it seems like a deliberate reference to me by the scout. Then again, it isn't quoted or emphasized in any way....

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Kirwin is an NFL.com writer. The "network" reference seems to me it would be pointing towards ESPN or the NFLN. Would Kirwan's mock be broadcast on the NFL Network?
Network?

Maybe try out scout or rivals?

LonghornsLegend
03-13-2009, 08:58 AM
I think it is sounding more and more like Meachem and Griffin, because I do remember alot of those guys being shocked when Griffin was picked, everyone was saying they needed a WR so bad and felt they were going that way.

Flyboy
03-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Could be the Texans too. *shrugs*

Strawdog
03-13-2009, 09:52 AM
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/042807abl.html

[Griffin] had visited the Titans, but he said he was very shocked when Tennessee drafted him. This will reunite him with former Longhorns teammate and current Titans quarterback Vince Young.

That rules out Griffin.

P-L
03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Ok, well we know it's not Denver, Buffalo, or New York (Giants). It was also stated that neither Stafford or Sanchez are from this team's area. That probably rules out the west coast teams, Atlanta, Carolina, and the Florida teams.

DJC
03-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Alright guys, curiosity got the best of me. No work today and nothing to do = some investigation work. Using this article and the last one in October, I've combined some information. Take a look.

-Not Buffalo
-Not Denver
-Not Dallas
-Not Tennessee
-Not Detroit
-Not Browns
-Not Buccaneers
-Not Falcons
-Not Giants
-Not Oakland
-Not Green Bay
-Not New Orleans
-Not San Diego
-Not Cleveland
-Not Tampa Bay
-Not Miami
-Not St.Louis
-Not Jacksonville
-Not Kansas City
-Not Washington
-Not Minnesota
-Not New York Jets
-Interviewed Donald Brown, Jason Smith, Rhett Bomar at Combine
-Not a 3-4? (didnt like Maualuga
-GM busy in FA
-GM doesn't scout
-Established GM, not new
-Mentions NFC North teams often
-Looking at QBs

Possibilities
-Arizona (Levi Brown, not likely)
-Houston (Okoye over who?)
-San Francisco (Patrick Willis, needs QB)
-Pittsburgh (not likely)
-Cinncinnati (Leon Hall a great/unlikely pick?)
-New England (not likely)
-Carolina (Beason, needs QB)
-Baltimore (Grubbs, no need for QB at all though)
-Chicago (Olsen a great/unlikely pick?)
-Indianapolis (Anthony Gonzalez, future QB needed?)

Still doing some more investigations. Next step is to look at Ridson's mocks for this year and last, and see how accurate the picks were for the possible teams, since he'd probably get some input from this scout. Feel free to help eliminate some more teams and try to figure this out.

Edit- My sleeper pick is Carolina. He called Otah to them in March last year.

Mr. Stiller
03-13-2009, 11:01 AM
The scout works for the Vikings. Well, that's a guess.

- Adrian Peterson over Jamaal Anderson. MAJOR understatement. All Pro vs. DE who may be cut.

- QB love. He obviously has seen a lot of the two QBs, and the Vikings need one badly. Anyone would look good to them.

I'd also say a Jaguars rep seems plausible. Andre Smith seems like a possibility and some mocks have Crabtree, who may be the 'dumb' player, being selected by them. Reggie Nelson was a good pick, but not an understatement unless the other guy has been really bad. And I think they brought Nelson in before the draft.

The Jets would make sense. Need a QB, were rumored to be interested in Jarvis Moss I believe. Got Derrelle Revis.

My first guess would be the Vikings. Then the Jets.

Can't be the Jets, because they'd be talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Revis is a great player and we Love Timmons, so, no one lost there (Other than the picks NYJ lost to trade in front of us.)

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2009, 12:06 PM
It's not a guarentee that it was two years ago.

The teams that can be excluded are:

Denver Broncos
Buffalo Bills
Any team with a new regime the past two or three years

IDK. Maybe later.

gpngc
03-13-2009, 12:09 PM
It's not a guarentee that it was two years ago.

The teams that can be excluded are:

Denver Broncos
Buffalo Bills
Any team with a new regime the past two or three years

IDK. Maybe later.

Minnesota fits every single criteria I think.

We just need to find out if they had J. Anderson in for a visit (and didn't have AD in).

And if any 49er fans know if they had Carriker in for a visit and not P Willie.

It did just occur to me that "two years ago" could actually mean the 2008 draft. That would open up a whole new can of worms. :confused:

I KNOW IT ALL
03-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't think it could be the Vikings with Adrian Peterson because they did bring him in pre-draft.

"We had him brought in," said Spielman, "and our doctors felt fine with the collarbone. I don't know what we'll do to make sure that is ready, but I do know he's scheduled to participate in the weekend minicamp and be ready by time we get into training camp.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
I remember everyone thought the Panthers were going to draft LenWhale

but he's been decent for the Titans

Race for the Heisman
03-13-2009, 01:12 PM
What about the 2006 draft? It could be described as a couple of years ago and had a fair bit of hype about it, what with Bush, Young, Hawk, Williams, Ngata, and more.

Not a great year for cornerbacks, looking back on it. I remember the Titans wanting Devin Hester and then switching the pick out for Lendale at the last second, although I'm not sure how relevant that is. I really got into the draft right after 06, so I can't really say too much about the events leading up to it.

PACKmanN
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
He was there for Andre Smith. NFL Network reported in their "Around the League" segment that the Packers where one of the teams that had a private meeting with Smith the night before his pro day. Take it for what its worth. Maybe they are making their final judgments on rather he should be on their board or not.

Some Packers fan posted this on another forum, could it be one of our scouts? but also I doubt Ted would allow one of scouts to talk to the media about prospects.

edit: As well, we are working on getting Jennings a contract and possibly Colledge and Collins. Plus, imo, Delmas and Lang seem like the type of prospects our team targets. We also want hard workers for prospects, the Packers do not like to draft trouble makers.

Plus, I know an mock had the Packers taking Cushing at 9, really lol.

Job
03-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Why rule out the Bills? From what he said, he could have been a scout learning from past mistakes, being a bit bitter about Lynch being an idiot.

Dark Knight01
03-13-2009, 02:57 PM
He was there for Andre Smith. NFL Network reported in their "Around the League" segment that the Packers where one of the teams that had a private meeting with Smith the night before his pro day. Take it for what its worth. Maybe they are making their final judgments on rather he should be on their board or not.

Some Packers fan posted this on another forum, could it be one of our scouts? but also I doubt Ted would allow one of scouts to talk to the media about prospects.

edit: As well, we are working on getting Jennings a contract and possibly Colledge and Collins. Plus, imo, Delmas and Lang seem like the type of prospects our team targets. We also want hard workers for prospects, the Packers do not like to draft trouble makers.

Plus, I know an mock had the Packers taking Cushing at 9, really lol.

^^^The Pack are going to be looking at drafting Orakpo or Everette Brown because those two would be solid fits as OLB pass rushers in their new 3-4 scheme.

DJC
03-13-2009, 04:01 PM
It's gotta be 2007. He didn't say a couple of years or anything, he said 2 years specifically. I'm going to eliminate the Vikings and Jets from my list from the info above.

Alright guys, curiosity got the best of me. No work today and nothing to do = some investigation work. Using this article and the last one in October, I've combined some information. Take a look.

-Not Buffalo
-Not Denver
-Not Dallas
-Not Tennessee
-Not Detroit
-Not Browns
-Not Buccaneers
-Not Falcons
-Not Giants
-Not Oakland
-Not Green Bay
-Not New Orleans
-Not San Diego
-Not Cleveland
-Not Tampa Bay
-Not Miami
-Not St.Louis
-Not Jacksonville
-Not Kansas City
-Not Washington
-Not Minnesota
-Not New York Jets
-Interviewed Donald Brown, Jason Smith, Rhett Bomar at Combine
-Not a 3-4? (didnt like Maualuga
-GM busy in FA
-GM doesn't scout
-Established GM, not new
-Mentions NFC North teams often
-Looking at QBs

Possibilities
-Arizona (Levi Brown, not likely)
-Houston (Okoye over who?)
-San Francisco (Patrick Willis, needs QB)
-Pittsburgh (not likely)
-Cinncinnati (Leon Hall a great/unlikely pick?)
-New England (not likely)
-Carolina (Beason, needs QB)
-Baltimore (Grubbs, no need for QB at all though)
-Chicago (Olsen a great/unlikely pick?)
-Indianapolis (Anthony Gonzalez, future QB needed?)

I think it's the Panthers. Their GM is a former sports writer, so he doesn't have a background in scouting. He's been busy in FA trying to resign Gross and figuring out the Peppers situation. We need to find out if they brought in Beason before the draft. Also, any way of seeing what teams interviewed what players at the combine?

Area51
03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Its the Titans scout. Because if you remember back in 07, the Titans drafted Michael Griffin where not even Titan fans or mocks had us taking this guy even anywhere close. Everybody said we needed receiver first round everybody. Everybody had the Titans taking Robert Meachem from the Vols, and yes the Titans did go scout this guy heavy. The Titans never had Griffin in for a visit. The Titans ended up taking Griffin over Meachem while he was still on the board. So far Griffin is a top 5 safety while Meachem is at best a number 5 receiver on the Saints.... take it for what its worth.

Flyboy
03-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Its the Titans scout. Because if you remember back in 07, the Titans drafted Michael Griffin where not even Titan fans or mocks had us taking this guy even anywhere close. Everybody said we needed receiver first round everybody. Everybody had the Titans taking Robert Meachem from the Vols, and yes the Titans did go scout this guy heavy. The Titans never had Griffin in for a visit. The Titans ended up taking Griffin over Meachem while he was still on the board. So far Griffin is a top 5 safety while Meachem is at best a number 5 receiver on the Saints.... take it for what its worth.

Posted on the previous page...

[Griffin] had visited the Titans, but he said he was very shocked when Tennessee drafted him. This will reunite him with former Longhorns teammate and current Titans quarterback Vince Young.

Area51
03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Michael Griffin never came in for a visit.

DJC
03-13-2009, 06:32 PM
It's not Tennessee. In the October interview, he talked about the Titans and how awful Vince Young has been. Here's the link for that if anyone's interested. http://football.realgm.com/src_encroachment/128/20081027/from_the_inside_talking_with_a_scout/

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Minnesota fits every single criteria I think.

We just need to find out if they had J. Anderson in for a visit (and didn't have AD in).

And if any 49er fans know if they had Carriker in for a visit and not P Willie.

It did just occur to me that "two years ago" could actually mean the 2008 draft. That would open up a whole new can of worms. :confused:

No, because the two players have had opportunities to boom and/or bust. It is at minimum two years ago, who knows the maximum.

gpngc
03-13-2009, 06:38 PM
I would say Aaron Curry from Wake Forest or big Eugene Monroe from Virginia. Those kids aren’t really in my area but I’ve seen a lot of coaches tape of them.

EDIT AGAIN: I just realized- the scout could mean his area of the country in terms of his scouting assignment- not where his team is located. This probably doesn't help....

I'm thinking SF or MIN.

If it is 2007 the MAJOR understatement comment leads me to believe the team took either Peterson or Patrick Willis.

I don't remember who Carolina was linked to- but the only way it would've been a MAJOR understatement is if the guy they brought in and passed on was a complete bust.

EDIT: My mistake... 2007 would be roughly two years ago whereas 2006 would be two years ago +. I'm going to investigate the '06 draft now...

phlysac
03-13-2009, 06:48 PM
What am I missing? How was the 2008 draft "roughly" 2 years ago? It was in April of 2008. Less than ONE year ago.

If you take his "2 years ago" comment as close to literally as you can, it would be regarding the 2007 draft.

gpngc
03-13-2009, 06:56 PM
2006 ideas:

-Houston passing on Winston Justice for DeMeco Ryans.
-Many teams passing on Chad Jackson for anything else (who was he linked to?)
-Carolina passing on something (what did they need?) for D. Williams.

In the second round there are a couple of MAJOR understatement good picks like Greg Jennings, MJD, and Marcus McNeill...

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2009, 06:59 PM
2006 ideas:

In the second round there are a couple of MAJOR understatement good picks like Greg Jennings, MJD, and Marcus McNeill...

The Steelers got Santonio Holmes, but I am pretty sure they brought him in, I'm not sure. They were rumored for Jackson.

DeAngelo Williams was a good pick that was not expected.

gpngc
03-13-2009, 07:06 PM
The Steelers got Santonio Holmes, but I am pretty sure they brought him in, I'm not sure. They were rumored for Jackson.

DeAngelo Williams was a good pick that was not expected.

Can't remember for the life of me what the Panthers were looking at that year...

Looking at 2007 again- was Jarvis Moss ever worked out by and/or linked to the Vikings at #7 or Niners at #11?

I do remember thinking Patrick Willis was for sure going #12 to Buffalo that year- and I think Carriker to San Fran was a hot prediction. Did he work out for them?

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
I doubt it was the 49ers, because the main draft guy, Nolan, is now in Denver as the defensive coordinator. Could have been, though.

Kelly Jennings maybe for Carolina? I'm not sure.

gpngc
03-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I doubt it was the 49ers, because the main draft guy, Nolan, is now in Denver as the defensive coordinator. Could have been, though.

Kelly Jennings maybe for Carolina? I'm not sure.

I believe they had just signed Ken Lucas and already had Gamble. They were however in the market for another CB because they took R. Marshall in rd. 2. But, no I don't think anyone was surprised by the Panthers passing on K. Jennings. He was considered by most to be an early-to-mid 2nd round pick.

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2009, 07:14 PM
The thing is, every pick after Carolina was either a success (DeMeco) or a player that wasn't expected to go high either way.

phlysac
03-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Scot McCloughan was VP of Player Personel for the 49ers in 2005,06,07 while Nolan was coach. The team didn't have a GM technically, it was a combo that became known as "McNolan". McCloughan was named GM in 2008 and is the GM for the 49ers currently.

I do remember thinking Patrick Willis was for sure going #12 to Buffalo that year- and I think Carriker to San Fran was a hot prediction. Did he work out for them?

Everyone and their mom nationally thought the 49ers were going to draft Adam Carriker or Alan Branch. As a 49er fan, we couldn't understand those perceptions. It was Willis all the way.

As far as Carriker coming in for a workout. I don't remember that he did. I thought they just worked with him at the Senior Bowl but I could be wrong.

DT35
03-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Michael Crabtree always stutters and doesn't sound all too intelligent when he speaks. But he's still my favourite player in this draft and will be one of my favourite players in the league.

9ersForLife
03-14-2009, 07:26 AM
When the scout is talking about a player who just answers everything with God, I am pretty sure he is talking about Andre Smith.
Check out this video after his pro day,
http://videos.al.com/birmingham-news/2009/03/andre_smith.html
Im still trying to figure out who the stupid player is, Raji isn't too smart but he talks fine and is actually pretty funny and laid back.
The only left to check is who Andre Smith's agent is and if he is jewish/ has a jewish last name.
If u guys know any site that has a list of the top players and their agents, we can check it through that path as well.

9ersForLife
03-14-2009, 07:38 AM
My guesses for the "dumb" player are:
Everette Brown
Michael Oher
Jeremy Maclin
Aaron Maybin

The rest of the top 15 players I either heard talk or don't have the feeling they are dumb.
Anyone heard these guys talk and got the feeling they are dumb?

Woody56
03-14-2009, 07:58 AM
When the scout is talking about a player who just answers everything with God, I am pretty sure he is talking about Andre Smith.
Check out this video after his pro day,
http://videos.al.com/birmingham-news/2009/03/andre_smith.html
Im still trying to figure out who the stupid player is, Raji isn't too smart but he talks fine and is actually pretty funny and laid back.
The only left to check is who Andre Smith's agent is and if he is jewish/ has a jewish last name.
If u guys know any site that has a list of the top players and their agents, we can check it through that path as well.

im 99% sure andre smiths agent is a black guy

OneToughGame
03-14-2009, 08:24 AM
im 99% sure andre smiths agent is a black guy

Doesn't mean he isn't Jewish. I'm pretty sure Taylor Mays is Jewish.

Addict
03-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Doesn't mean he isn't Jewish. I'm pretty sure Taylor Mays is Jewish.

does make it less likely.

9ersForLife
03-14-2009, 01:00 PM
If he's black there's a slim to none chance he's jewish.
But listening to him talk, he did use Jesus quite a lot and in places that weren't necessary.
What about the stupid players?
Anyone heard any of those guys talk?
I can eliminate from the stupid list:
Stafford, Sanchez, Crabtree (he might be cocky but he doesnt seem stupid), J. Smith, Curry, Jenkins, Cushing.
If somebody feels like searching the rest of the top players on youtube and listening to them talk, that could solve this for us.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-14-2009, 01:25 PM
I enjoyed that read.

XRage
03-14-2009, 01:36 PM
What about the stupid players?
Anyone heard any of those guys talk?
I can eliminate from the stupid list:
Stafford, Sanchez, Crabtree (he might be cocky but he doesnt seem stupid), J. Smith, Curry, Jenkins, Cushing.
If somebody feels like searching the rest of the top players on youtube and listening to them talk, that could solve this for us.
I wouldn't eliminate Crabtree, he seems pretty unintelligent in his Combine presser (http://www.nfl.com/combine/videos/mediasessions#page:2/video:09000d5d80ed77af). Listen to his answer at the end when he was asked about what adjustments he's going to have to make going from a spread offense to a pro-style offense.

2006 ideas:

According to Real GM Football (http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_teamarticle/138/20060426/nfl_draft_dissection_2006_%E2%80%93_carolina_panth ers/), Carolina had big needs at linebacker after losing Will Witherspoon to free agency as well as tight end and safety. The guy even predicted them to pick Demeco Ryans, who was later taken with the first pick in the second round by the Texans. However, this pretty much disqualifies the Panthers as the possible team if we are going off of the '06 draft since both teams are pretty happy with their players.

Woody56
03-14-2009, 02:06 PM
I think the stupid guy might be Orakpo. He did say "the key to being versatile, is being very versatile."

PACKmanN
03-14-2009, 02:07 PM
could Michael Oher be the Jesus guy? and Chris Baker as the dumb guy?

XRage
03-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Reading back over the October interview, I was able to spot some more clues as to which team the scout works for might be:

-Mentions that his team almost never considers defensive backs worthy of top 10 picks

-Team apparently has a pretty decent need for a QB as he mentioned that his team was looking at several senior QB prospects going into the season. He also mentioned that he himself paid particular attention to Nate Davis.

-Its definitely not the Titans as he shits on Vince Young pretty hard and I doubt he'd talk bad about someone that is still on his team that he might have possibly had a hand in helping draft.

-Likewise with the 49ers, talks bad about Alex Smith.

-Its not the Lions, as he refers to them in 3rd party form and talks down on both Jordan Dizon and Mike Williams.

-Team is more than likely not on the West Coast, as he admits that he is not a West Coast guy and also specifically says that his team has a West Coast guy.

-Is not high on Billy McMullen, which probably eliminates at least the team that drafted him, the Philadelphia Eagles.

After reading back through the more recent interview, I picked up these tidbits:

-Reaffirms his strong interest in the QB prospects.

-Mentions that his team is looking hard at Stephen McGee, the QB from Texas A&M. Ironically, he praises the guy while acknowledging that he plays in an option read offense that develops bad habits, when in the October interview he basically said that guys from spread offenses that develop bad habits aren't even worth the risk.

-Team's GM has been busy in free agency

-Team is placing an emphasis on character more and more each year

-Team interviewed Louis Delmas, Donald Brown, Rhett Bomar, and Jason Smith.

-Mentions that there is a scout on the team that looks at prospects in SEC Country, hinting that the team is not located in that part of the country. Now, logic would say that if you have a team based in a certain part of the country that you don't need a scout for that particular area of the country since you are already in the area and should be pretty familiar with the local prospects. But I'm not certain.

-Most likely not the Giants since the interview refers to the Giants in 3rd party form when asking a certain question.

-Team's GM is not big on watching film

-Team likes to bring in potential prospects during OTAs and get input from the vets on how they feel about them.

-Specifically said "two years ago" when talking about the big draft day surprise. This eliminates any draft day surprises from the 2005, 2006, and 2008 drafts.

-I also noticed that several of the under the radar prospects he talks about in both interviews are in the Midwest region.

Combining the information from this interview and the more recent one, I'm eliminating the:

-Broncos (mentioned the Broncos in 3rd party form and talked down on Brandon Marshall)

-Bills (talked down on Marshawn Lynch)

-Titans (talks down on Vince Young, SEC country)

-Lions (mentions in 3rd party form and sort of talks down on Jordan Dizon)

-Eagles (talks down on Billy McMullen, whom they drafted)

-Raiders (west coast team, drafted )

-49ers (west coast team, talks bad about Alex Smith)

-Cardinals (west coast team)

-Chargers (west coast team)

-Seahawks (west coast team)

-Bengals (Have not shown that they are putting more emphasis on character)

-Ravens (Not a certainty but I'd find it hard to imagine that they were looking hard at any QB prospects going into this past year's college football season having just drafted Joe Flacco and having two young backups with game experience)

-Falcons (Pretty set at QB, located in SEC Country, and we are definitely not happy with Jamaal Anderson from the 2007 draft. We also haven't been busy in free agency and Dimitroff is definitely a guy that probably watches a lot of film seeing as how he earned his way being a scout. )

-Redskins (have drafted 3 defensive backs in the top 10 since 2004)

-Giants (interviewer refers to them in the 3rd party when bringing them up on how they are noted for drafting guys they haven't met with)

-Buccaneers (SEC country)

-Panthers (SEC country)

-Saints (SEC country)

-Jaguars (SEC country)

-Dolphins (SEC country)

This leaves the:

-Rams
-Chiefs
-Cowboys
-Texans
-Packers
-Vikings
-Bears
-Steelers
-Browns
-Colts
-Patriots
-Jets

If we can figure out which team has interviewed Louis Delmas, Donald Brown, Jason Smith, and Rhett Bomar all at the Combine that would pretty much give it away. Also, it would help if we can find out if the Vikings brought in Adrian Peterson for a personal visit before they drafted him. He wasn't a huge surprise at 7, but they were definitely thought to be looking at defensive ends that year and Jamaal Anderson fits the other player's description perfectly.

lionsfan81
03-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Reading back over the October interview, I was able to spot some more clues as to which team the scout works for might be:

Can you post a link to where you found the october interview? thanks

phlysac
03-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Likewise with the 49ers, talks bad about Alex Smith.

-Mentions that there is a scout on the team that looks at prospects in SEC Country, hinting that the team is not located in that part of the country. Now, logic would say that if you have a team based in a certain part of the country that you don't need a scout for that particular area of the country since you are already in the area and should be pretty familiar with the local prospects. But I'm not certain.

-49ers (west coast team, talks bad about Alex Smith)

I'm not assuming it IS a 49ers scout but I will say that he didn't talk bad about Alex Smith. He said "lack of patience" ruined Alex Smith. That could just be criticism of a player that needed time to develop.

The 49ers have a West Coast scout even though they are on the West Coast. I'm sure other teams would have similar staffing.

Another reason for intrigue was that he thought Malcolm Jenkins was the #1 prospect and that's who he mocked to the 49ers.

DJC
03-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Check my posts back on the last page.

9ersForLife
03-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Please clarify how u eliminated west coast teams. Isn't he talkin about west coast offense (which doesnt have to do with where the team is actly located).
Analyzing the teams u have left:

-Rams- no because they draft Richie Ignacio who is a problem off-field
-Chiefs- no, although picking Bowe over Robert Meachem might have been a surprise, Pioli is a GM who knows his stuff and watches film.
-Cowboys- doubt it cuz Anthony Spencer wasn't a surprise and they have had a lot of players with bad attitudes (they drafted Antonio Bryant)
-Texans- no cuz ppl predicted Akoye and they draft Dunta Robinson high (CB)
-Packers- no cuz Harrell sux
-Vikings- could be, although I don't think Peterson was a surprise
-Bears- no cuz people preditced Greg Olsen
-Steelers- might be, was Timmons a surprise?
-Browns- no cuz Quinn sux
-Colts- no cuz Gonzalez wasnt a surprise
-Patriots- no cuz Meriweather wasnt a surprise
-Jets- could be, ppl might have been surprised by Revis over Leon Hall

Vikings, Steelers or Jets?
I have a feeling it might be the Jets, anyone know anything about their GM?
They are intersted in a QB so it might be them.

shady00
03-15-2009, 12:02 AM
DHB is dumb as a rock when it comes to interviews.

thetedginnshow
03-15-2009, 12:15 AM
It's an NFC team in the midwest or on the east coast.

Woodie
03-15-2009, 12:22 AM
While the GM thing does fit with Carolina, there weren't many surprises in either the 2006 or 2007 draft (even though the Scout is certainly talking about 2007). So there was no reason for Mel Kiper to be shocked at either pick.

In 2006, everyone and their brother knew the Panthers were going to take a RB with their first. The only question was which one. Many in the media felt it was going to be LenDale White because they thought we needed a power back and we had dinner with him at the combine, but DeAngelo and the kid NE took (his name escapes me at the moment) were also talked about quite a bit.

In 2007, a lot of the talk was that we would go DT/DE, FS, or LB at #14. And when we made the trade with the Jets (talk about a deal that worked out for both teams), there was a lot of speculation that we liked Beason and felt we could get him later. So, leading up to our pick, much of the talk was that we would take either Meriweather or Beason, and once NE took Meriweather, most of the talking heads felt Beason would be the pick.

So, no shock for Mel and no surprising passes means the Panthers are not the team the scout works for.

steelersfan43
03-15-2009, 12:49 AM
I really don't want jesus guy or Andre smith on my team lol.

Woodie
03-15-2009, 01:09 AM
I really don't want jesus guy or Andre smith on my team lol.
Well, Jesus might give you a heck of a Hail Mary.

PACKmanN
03-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Can anyone comment if their gm didn't make it to the Senior Bowl? It says the GM has been busy so maybe we can narrow it down that way. Also Scott can comment on the GMs he saw or didn't see.

XRage
03-15-2009, 10:32 AM

Links to both interviews: October (http://football.realgm.com/src_encroachment/128/20081027/from_the_inside_talking_with_a_scout/) March (http://football.realgm.com/src_encroachment/167/20090211/from_the_inside_part_ii_interview_with_the_scout/)

I'm not assuming it IS a 49ers scout but I will say that he didn't talk bad about Alex Smith. He said "lack of patience" ruined Alex Smith. That could just be criticism of a player that needed time to develop.

The 49ers have a West Coast scout even though they are on the West Coast. I'm sure other teams would have similar staffing.

Another reason for intrigue was that he thought Malcolm Jenkins was the #1 prospect and that's who he mocked to the 49ers.
After re-reading that part of the interview, I have to agree with your assessment. He in fact didn't necessarily bash Alex Smith moreso than he criticized the bad habits learned from the spread offense. As for the west coast thing, I was just assuming for the sake of narrowing this thing down that teams wouldn't have scouts assigned solely to the area that the team is already based in. But since you said that that is indeed the case then I guess that opens up about 10 more teams for consideration (including the teams in SEC country that I also eliminated). We're never going to figure this thing out :confused:

OzTitan
03-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Its definitely not the Titans as he shits on Vince Young pretty hard and I doubt he'd talk bad about someone that is still on his team that he might have possibly had a hand in helping draft.

I don't really think still being on the team is that big a deal when you're anonymous. Plus it's entirely possible noone but Bud Adams in the organization wanted Vince Young. If that was the case, I think a scout sounding off off the record is plausible. Particularly just after Vince Young chucked a tantrum like he did in week 1.

Plus I'm not sure what you mean by the SEC thing. Teams tend to be extra familiar with local prospects, but they still need scouts for it obviously, how else would they be extra familiar? the close proximity just means those scouts get more chances to see the locals etc.

thetedginnshow
03-16-2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/210/story/646612.html

That guy seems to talk about God a lot. Doesn't sound like he was on the radar much though. Might mean it's Andre Smith.

batsandgats
03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
michael oher?

DJC
03-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I think we'll find out who the dumb player is soon. Just wait for Ridson to release his next mock, and see what top prospect dropped significantly from his last one.

Black Bolt
03-16-2009, 06:04 PM
He might be an asshole but I doubt he would come across as stupid or ignorant in an interview. The guy knows how to deal with the media.

I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned.

GaMeTiMe
03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_theredzone/172/20090225/consensus_2009_nfl_mock_draft_v20/

Those appear to be the mocks this site references. I would imagine the mock the scout spoke about his team "loving" the player is from that list.

BigBanger
03-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Jesus lover- Andre Smith. No doubt. Smith doesn't sound like a ****** in the general sense, but since he talks about God so much, he does sound like a crazy nut job.

I was shocked with how dumb Vontea Davis and Aaron Curry both sounded on ESPN First Take. I expect that from Vontea, but Curry was horribly deficient in basic verbal functions (Not as bad as Vontea). I don't know how either of them passed any classes in college. I just laughed at Vontea and how dumb he is, but Curry simply surprised me.

Michael Crabtree is smooth talker... NOT!!!!! He could be dumb as a fence post.

Shere Khan
08-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Crabtree doesn't seem like he would be like "just give me my money already, **** school and grades and all that"

Yeah, look at him now though.

Job
08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Necroposting FTW.