PDA

View Full Version : I like Michael Johnson and I'm not afraid to admit it

Mr.Regular
03-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Okay, first off I want to say I realize that he isn't an elite prospect. He has some major question marks and I don't view him as a top 10 pick by and stretch of the imagination.
BUT I really like him. He is freakish (and the term is thrown around too much but he is one) and though he is inconsistent, when he turns it on he turns it on BIG TIME.
He could fit in either a 34 or 43 and with some good coaching he could really excel at either IMO. If he finds himself in a good position with a solid team, watch out.
For what his value is right now (early 2ndish) I think he is an absolute steal. I view him as a top 20 prospect.
MJ definitely has come down with a case of 'so over-rated that he's now underrated'. I feel like no one else on the boards like him, so I wanted to see what your opinions are.

BRAVEHEART
03-13-2009, 08:25 PM
we all have to come out sometime.

abaddon41_80
03-13-2009, 08:26 PM
*stands up*

I like Michael Johnson, too.

gpngc
03-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Okay, first off I want to say I realize that he isn't an elite prospect. He has some major question marks and I don't view him as a top 10 pick by and stretch of the imagination.
BUT I really like him. He is freakish (and the term is thrown around too much but he is one) and though he is inconsistent, when he turns it on he turns it on BIG TIME.
He could fit in either a 34 or 43 and with some good coaching he could really excel at either IMO. If he finds himself in a good position with a solid team, watch out.
For what his value is right now (early 2ndish) I think he is an absolute steal. I view him as a top 20 prospect.
MJ definitely has come down with a case of 'so over-rated that he's now underrated'. I feel like no one else on the boards like him, so I wanted to see what your opinions are.

+1.

It reminds me of the Mathias Kiwanuka situation. Not overly similar as prospects, but their stocks both took dives in the postseason (unjustifiably so IMO).

Malaka
03-13-2009, 08:27 PM
*stands up too and joins the others*

Me three...

Shane P. Hallam
03-13-2009, 08:29 PM
I think he can be legit with the right coaching. He is tearing it up, and lots of teams are working him out. Falcons, Redskins, Browns, Bucs included with the Bengals and Packers looking at him. He could slip into the late first still.

thetedginnshow
03-13-2009, 08:31 PM
I think he'd be terrible in the 4-3, but I think he might be able to be a stud in the 3-4 if a team limited what he had to do.

TACKLE
03-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I agree that in the right situation he could thrive. He was much more productive than he got credit for (9 sacks, 17.5 TFL, 46 tackles, 7 batted down passes, 3 FF, 1 Int). He had some of his best games against top competition. He is a physically unique player. With that being said, its frustrating watching the guy who shows the best first step in the draft to not explode off the ball like he's capable of.

gpngc
03-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Upon further review- everyone's a fan!

lol

Shane P. Hallam
03-13-2009, 08:34 PM
A lot of people like him, just not as a Top 10-15 pick!

the decider13
*stands up*

Yup, I like Michael Johnson, but I don't want the Broncos to use their first on him unless they trade down to the later first. But I think his upside is limitless.

Brent
Samuari Mike would whip him into shape.

Mr.Regular
03-13-2009, 08:37 PM
A lot of people like him, just not as a Top 10-15 pick!
I've seen people freaking out if he's pegged at a spot even in the late first. I'd be ecstatic as a Packers fan if we had to trade up (or down from 9) for him in that range.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I like him more than most but I can see his length really being an issue for him. It's tough to keep linemen off you when they have such a big target, especially since once somebody gets a hold of him it's over.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the 1st round, even mid-1st. I just can't picture him up at the top because you don't give "maybes" that much guaranteed money.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I've been a fan of him for ever. I'd spend Atlanta's late first on him in a heartbeat.

skinzzfan25
03-13-2009, 09:17 PM
I would love him in a Skins trade down to either late 1st early 2nd.

Big_Pete
03-13-2009, 09:59 PM
I think Johnson's best fit is as a 4-3 DE, preferably one with solid starters.

That will allow him to impact immediately as a speed rusher in passing situations, while he develops the rest of his all-round game (which needs alot of work)

Johnson's lack of production really concerns me; either he has major issuesor he was very badly utlised at Georgia Tech. If he can't dominate at the college level, it is a big ask to expect him to do the same in the NFL (and why you draft someone early)

I have to admit if it came down to a choice between picking Johnson and Lawrence Sidbury, I would go with Sidbury.

critesy
03-13-2009, 10:01 PM
i actually wouldnt be too mad if he was taken 13 to the skins

Race for the Heisman
03-13-2009, 10:22 PM
The only reason I wouldn't take him at 18 for the Bears is because the consensus says he'll still be available at the top of the second.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Another SKins fan here!!

I'm leaning towards Michael Johnson heavy lately with our #13. We need pass rush and Haynesworth in the middle would give big Mike open rush lanes to the QB.
More athletic Charles Mann...

DT35
03-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Without that neck he's probably just barely 6 feet.

PACKmanN
03-13-2009, 10:48 PM
I think he can be legit with the right coaching. He is tearing it up, and lots of teams are working him out. Falcons, Redskins, Browns, Bucs included with the Bengals and Packers looking at him. He could slip into the late first still.
when??????

DiG
03-13-2009, 11:00 PM
i dont claim any of these skins fans saying they somewhat like michael johnson. id be hesitant to take him with a second round pick let alone our first. id prefer rakpo, english, tyson, everette, krugar, sidbury, and ayers all over johnson. no question about it.

ironman4579
03-13-2009, 11:13 PM
I agree that in the right situation he could thrive. He was much more productive than he got credit for (9 sacks, 17.5 TFL, 46 tackles, 7 batted down passes, 3 FF, 1 Int). He had some of his best games against top competition. He is a physically unique player. With that being said, its frustrating watching the guy who shows the best first step in the draft to not explode off the ball like he's capable of.

It's not that he wasn't productive (although you can probably name any number of players with better numbers that aren't even being considered close to first rounders). It's that he doesn't produce like a guy with his physical ability should. He should be dominating on just about every play and flashing numerous times each and every game, and he just doesn't do that.

TACKLE
03-13-2009, 11:19 PM
It's not that he wasn't productive (although you can probably name any number of players with better numbers that aren't even being considered close to first rounders). It's that he doesn't produce like a guy with his physical ability should. He should be dominating on just about every play and flashing numerous times each and every game, and he just doesn't do that.

I know its not all about numbers even though they are nice. He isn't a standout for GaTech. Unless your watching for him, he usually doesn't really standout.

kalbears13
03-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I broke the dam!

critesy
03-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Another SKins fan here!!

I'm leaning towards Michael Johnson heavy lately with our #13. We need pass rush and Haynesworth in the middle would give big Mike open rush lanes to the QB.
More athletic Charles Mann...

haha oh man ive been here for years

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I broke the dam!

"No. I broke the dam"
"I broke the dam. I ran a boat into the dam and I broke it."
"No! I broke the ******* dam!"
"I literally broke the dam!"
"On a boat! That wasn't mine!"
"I kept it secret for two days!"
"The boat caught on fire and it exploded!"
....."Aw, f*ck it!"

That having been said, I too broke...err Like Michael Johnson. Just not in the first half of the first round.

LOLitsTomBrady
03-14-2009, 01:11 PM
he'll go in the 3rd round. Mark my words

TitanHope
03-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I love Michael Johnson, and I'm not ashamed of our bromance!

Honestly, I can honestly see the Titans taking him if he's available at #30, much like the Giants did with Kiwanuka a few years ago. No doubt Jim Washburn will love his ability.

Sniper
03-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Nope, still loathe him.

etk
03-14-2009, 01:45 PM
I know its not all about numbers even though they are nice. He isn't a standout for GaTech. Unless your watching for him, he usually doesn't really standout.

I disagree completely. You can't miss him when he's on the field.

He's not a standout pass rusher, but he definitely stands out in all other areas. He does things that very few other DEs can do, even with his "terrible motor".

Texas Homer
03-14-2009, 01:48 PM
I think he is a 1st round guy, but he is definitely a risk pick. You might get a STUD or you might get a DUD.

High risk-High reward pick.

I like him as a prospect too.

TACKLE
03-14-2009, 02:00 PM
I disagree completely. You can't miss him when he's on the field.

He's not a standout pass rusher, but he definitely stands out in all other areas. He does things that very few other DEs can do, even with his "terrible motor".

I never said he has a terrible motor. I actually think he has a lot better motor than he gets credit for. I agree with you that he is good at playing the run and is effective in dropping in coverage, but for someone who is going to be picked as a pass rusher, he doesn't get consistent pressure off the edge. I've seen Tech play a couple times, and I want to see him dominate the OT but I haven't really seen him do that.

roscoesdad27
03-14-2009, 02:33 PM
i actually wouldnt be too mad if he was taken 13 to the skins

thats where i have him going in my latest mock....him and orakpo are the best pure 4-3 d.e.'s in this draft imho.

art vandelay
03-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I am a fan as well. He has tools that you just can't teach (height/weight, speed, first step quickness and explosiveness, etc.) I don't consider him an elite prospect but he has elite potential. I view him as a late 1st rounder. I can tell you the biggest anti-Johnson fan on here is RavenOfProphecy.

initial_flo
03-14-2009, 04:42 PM
He is a terrible player and a terrible person as well.

Hate, Hate, Hate

Mr. Hero
03-14-2009, 05:25 PM
I get an eddy curry vibe from him, where he's not really that into his sport, but he's just such a freak with simply perfect measurables that have pushed him down this path. If someone can get through to him he can become great, but I seriously doubt it and don't want a massive risk like that on any team I support.

Thus I'm still sippin on my hatoraid when MJ comes up.

mqtirishfan
03-14-2009, 05:30 PM
when??????

When we trade back and get both of Philly's picks!!!!

ElectricEye
03-15-2009, 12:06 AM

Which isn't a good thing when you're a 6'7 4.6 defensive end. Doesn't jump off the tape at all and he isn't just going unnoticed either. He gets legitimately handled by guys who can't hold his jock in terms of talent. The game against Monroe is a perfect example. Didn't do ANYTHING until late in the second half when he made a few explosive plays. Made his statline look better, but he was still mostly a non-factor.

LonghornsLegend
03-15-2009, 12:18 AM
I am a fan as well. He has tools that you just can't teach (height/weight, speed, first step quickness and explosiveness, etc.)

But what good is any of that if you can't put it to good use? I get the feeling with this guy he's always going to be an under performer with alot of talent, he'll end up getting cut by the team that drafts him and then everybody is gonna go nuts that their team should sign him as a FA.

He was way too hot and cold for me, I can't expect him to just turn it around at the next level, and you have to ask yourself is he going to put in that type of work at the next level to become great...I don't think he's a scrub, but he just reminds me of one of those guys who physically look the part but when they get out on the field it never amounts to much productivity.

etk
03-15-2009, 03:35 PM
I never said he has a terrible motor. I actually think he has a lot better motor than he gets credit for. I agree with you that he is good at playing the run and is effective in dropping in coverage, but for someone who is going to be picked as a pass rusher, he doesn't get consistent pressure off the edge. I've seen Tech play a couple times, and I want to see him dominate the OT but I haven't really seen him do that.

Yeah, we're in agreement here.

I put the terrible motor in quotations because of his reputation across the US....not because I quoted it from you.

And he definitely doesn't get pressure quite like he should. He doesn't jump the snap well and struggles to use his hands and contort his body around the edge. He doesn't possess and inside moves either. He also plays up/down to his competition. His best games were against teams like Miami and Virginia where the stakes were high.

The only time his motor is in question is against the run. He takes some plays off, especially at the POA where he doesn't like to get physical and push.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
He works too hard to ever get cut and will always be the most physically gifted defensive lineman on his team, like Kearse, IMO, Longhornslegend.

Johnson has HOF tools, but the question is will he become a Pro Bowl type DE in the NFL?

Honestly, if he could be that 6-8 games out of 16, and average to consistent in the other games he plays, I'd be happy with his production.

OzTitan
03-15-2009, 05:30 PM
I love Michael Johnson, and I'm not ashamed of our bromance!

Honestly, I can honestly see the Titans taking him if he's available at #30, much like the Giants did with Kiwanuka a few years ago. No doubt Jim Washburn will love his ability.

He's probably more of a 'Floyd Reese' style pick, but I could see a scenario where, at 30, Johnson is awfully tempting. Particularly for a team who do tend to churn out quality DL from average prospects. It's been a while since Washburn has had a really exceptional prospect to work with.

initial_flo
03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
I think I'd look at him in the early second, because I don't think I'd have him as the first guy selected in a draft [for any one team].

If he's sitting there at like 30-40 and you need some presence on the defensive front 7 that seems reasonable. If you hit that's great, if not, at least your number 1 wasn't wasted.

SenorGato
03-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Player comparison: Bryan Thomas?

Two inches taller...but check out Thomas' combine.

TankGiant
03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
+1.

It reminds me of the Mathias Kiwanuka situation. Not overly similar as prospects, but their stocks both took dives in the postseason (unjustifiably so IMO).

Kiwanuka dropped because of looking bad in games due to the injury he suffered in the Virginia game. He kept playing injured and was worked during Senior week by Debrick. Michael Johnson on the other hand is an amazing talent he just hasn't put it all together. I am a fan of Johnson and not afraid to say it.