http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/viktorzd/everette-brown.jpg

Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
6'3, 272 lbs
2008: 49 tackles, 33 solo, 3 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss
Combine: 4.80 forty, 18 bench reps
Impressive Senior Bowl
Pro Day: 3/11
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/50/502347.jpg

Ev's stock has been dropping due to size, however Ayers stock is on fire.

Personally, I feel Brown is the better player and pass rusher regardless of his height. He has the moves and drive to pressure QB's in the pros.

Although I like him more, Ayers is still a fine DE and 1st round prospect. He had a great senior bowl and is moving to the early first in a number of recent mock drafts.

Who is the better prospect; who should be off the board first?

CashmoneyDrew
03-14-2009, 01:22 AM
My Tennessee homerism aside, Everette Brown is definitely the better pass rusher. Not only that, but he's definitely the better prospect as well. Brown will be off the board in the top 10. I think Ayers when all is said and done will come off the board in the mid-to-late 20's of the first round.

Cicero
03-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Do I want the guy who had 13 sacks this year, or the guy who had less than 13 in his career?

CashmoneyDrew
03-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Do I want the guy who had 13 sacks this year, or the guy who had less than 13 in his career?

Sacks are all well and good, but even though Ayers may have been lacking on sacks, he certainly wasn't lacking on disruptive plays in the backfield against both the run and the pass. Ayers has almost as much potential as EB in my mind and is probably more versatile as well.

Cicero
03-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Does anyone know who the last DE was who had 3 sacks in his final year of school that was drafted in the first round? I'm genuinely curious.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-14-2009, 01:29 AM
That's really going to be a schematic choice above all.

I have Brown rated considerably higher on my big board, but Ayers is probably going to be rated a bit higher as a 4-3 defensive end. Brown probably has somewhat limited functionality as a 4-3 defensive end. If you have a scheme that can accommodate him, then great. But those are rare and Ayers has much more consistent appeal to teams looking for a guy to play with his hand in the ground.

shady00
03-14-2009, 01:32 AM
I basically made this post to explore why analysts have Ayers flying up their boards, some have him ahead of Ev, which I don't agree with.

foozball
03-14-2009, 03:18 AM
Because Ayers is one of the only legit 4-3 DE's in this year's draft. He has the size to play LE and the athleticism and first step to play RE. If this was any other year, he'd probably be a mid 2nd

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-14-2009, 04:32 AM
Ayers looks like an NFL DE, Brown is a 'tweener without a true position - OLB in a 3-4, or an undersized RDE?

Also, Florida State has a sorry track record for producing outstanding pro DEs. The list is long and undistinguished, except for Peter Boulware, nearly all of them were average or busts.

And Florida State DEs all seem to have the same physical profile, small, quick, athletic, but not great in the pros.

Ayers is nothing great either, a nice prospect who could develop, but more a 2nd rounder in my eyes.

BandwagonPunditry
03-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Does anyone know who the last DE was who had 3 sacks in his final year of school that was drafted in the first round? I'm genuinely curious.

Kentwan Balmer.

---

Brown's a decent size for a 3-4 OLB, as long as he can handle the transition he'll be fine there. With his talent for rushing the passer and several 3-4 teams looking for a 'backer high up in the order I don't really see Ayers going above him.

Cicero
03-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Kentwan Balmer.

---

Brown's a decent size for a 3-4 OLB, as long as he can handle the transition he'll be fine there. With his talent for rushing the passer and several 3-4 teams looking for a 'backer high up in the order I don't really see Ayers going above him.

He was drafted as a DT though.

TheBuffaloBills
03-14-2009, 07:23 AM
I am going to go with Everette Brown. His initial burst is IMO the best in the draft at the DE position. He has all the traits to be a very good in the NFL. You can't teach speed and athleticism, but you can get stronger in the NFL.

jnew76
03-14-2009, 09:10 AM
He was drafted as a DT though.

And it is not out of the realm of possibilities that a team has Ayers slide inside as well... at least some of the time.

BuddyCHRIST
03-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Is Brown's stock really dropping? Some people on here are saying that but he is still projected as a top 10/15 pick which is where I saw him all along.

I think the stock rising/falling also has to do with where they were projected. Ayers wasn't considered a first rounder before the offseason started.

DiG
03-14-2009, 11:56 AM
we are talking just about 20 lbs here. as a pure pass rusher yes everettes numbers and performance are better and if i am drafting for a situational pass rusher or a 3/4 olber then id have everette over ayers BUT if im running a 4/3 defense and i need a starting DE then i absolutely want ayers. he is a great run stopper but also has above average athleticism and ability to get into the backfield whether it be sacks, tfl, or disrupting the quarterback.

Brent
03-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I've seen some people talk about Ayers being athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB, for what it's worth.

Bobertchin
03-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Ayers would make more sense to teams like the Giants or the Titans, who like to rotate and move DEs inside on passing downs. He would have the strength (despite his Bench reps, which aren't a measure of overall strength for DL as much as punch) to do that, I think. I could see one of those teams valuing him pretty high. However, as a Titans fan, I'm not sure that Ayers is high on their list. I was just using them as an example. The Giants probably don't need a guy that high, with their FA pickups, either. I just don't know who else uses that kind of scheme for their DL.