PDA

View Full Version : Do we realllllly need the combine?

gutman54
03-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Ok, ok, let me rephrase that. Do we really need the workout portion of the combine? I understand where teams need to interview players and do physicals, but why do we need to know how fast a player runs or how many bench reps they can do. If a player look good on film can that be enough? So what if Player X runs a 4.3 40 and Player Y runs a 4.62. If Player X fumbles every 20 carries, runs like a scared duck, and doesn't have the mental capabilities, why take a chance on him if Player Y runs hard every down, and in interviews like a champ. The numbers seem to be irrelevant, and when it comes down to it, they don't always, or automatically mean production. Half of the threads on here seem to be about how one guy puts up better numbers than another. Why not just look at their film, talk to them, and check out their medical history. Maybe it's just late, but that's how I'm feeling right now.

LonghornsLegend
03-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Because your giving a guy millions of dollars so you want to know as much about him as possible, from film, to interviews, to how many bench press reps he can do, it's all a process and it's all important when your handing out that type of money.

Strongside
03-14-2009, 02:16 AM
It's pretty handy to get all the players and see what they can do on an even playing field. Every year teams pay for the combine and they don't have to if they don't want to, so I'd say they like it.

foozball
03-14-2009, 03:15 AM
Hmmm...what would it be like without a combine...just imagine...

Sveen
03-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Short answer: Yes

LonghornsLegend
03-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Without the combine Dwayne Jarrett would of been a top 10 pick and Rogers-Cromartie would of been a 5th rounder.

Splat
03-14-2009, 11:08 AM
We don't need the combine signed Andre Smith.

Race for the Heisman
03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
We don't need the combine signed Andre Smith.

Good point. We need the combine to expose people like Smith. I'd still take him top 10, but meh.

superman
03-14-2009, 11:23 AM
because guys are going to look faster or slower than they really are based on competition

Brent
03-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Yes, they need it, especially for the interviews and medical exams.

superman
03-14-2009, 11:52 AM
if we didn't have the combine we'd think wells could really run a 4.3

gutman54
03-14-2009, 12:30 PM
How bad do you need to know his 40 time? How often do you actually run like that in the game? You don't see game speed and that is what counts. Like I said, I agree with the physicals and interviews, as that weeds people out, quick. I just think there is toooo much stock being put into what they can do performance-wise during the physical drills.

superman
03-14-2009, 12:50 PM
i was just being a beanie hater.

and again the performance drills are just to see who is better/faster/stronger than who on an even playing field. game tape doesn't show that. it shows other valuable stuff.

Staubach12
03-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Yes, we need it. This was a pretty stupid topic IMO.

Bobertchin
03-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Well, we don't realllllly need it, but we probably do really need it. It's important, but it isn't everything. The Combine measures athletic potential and maturity and ability to train (see Andre Smith for how you can fail the latter two). You can't let it outweigh the film completely, but if a guy looks like he isn't separating enough on the field, and you find he runs a 4.6, you might then know why.

College players go up against other college players. It's very hard to judge how athletic they are relative to NFL players. So you have the Combine, which helps.

Philliez01
03-14-2009, 03:29 PM
A few thoughts.

1-What the hell would I do that week? The Combine is like Madden to me, it's now a habit to watch it though I still like the combine.

2-We don't technically know what would happen to certain prospects if they didn't have a scouting combine. We don't really know where these teams have these guys though Scott, Mayock, Kiper, GBN, etc. appear to have a solid grasp (Scott in particular of course) of where they go. Dwayne Jarrett may have been a top-10 pick in our eyes, but we've all been flabbergasted at certain falls (at one point, Eric Winston was thought to be a potential #1).

3-Like someone said, most clubs (if not all) take every single aspect of a player. If a player doesn't do well or falls below expectations, some teams may see it as a "player not caring" and while the 40 doesn't make a player; if half-ass it, it shows that you may have a bad work ethic.

4-The interviews, physicals and weigh-ins are all crucial. Even in today's day and age with technology, prospective NFL players can come out of nowhere. The Combine is a national stage, as opposed to a local Pro Day, and this is there "big shot" at being a 5th rounder as opposed to a UDFA.

Drills are important in terms of showing athleticism, work ethic and smoothness. While it doesn't make a player or destroy one, lousy drills usually don't bode well. I know, Rice ran a 4.7x or something and other guys were below-average that turn into superstars (and vica versa) but usually it goes hand-in-hand.

JRTPlaya21
03-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Without it the hidden gems would likely stay hidden. Not to mention what would most of us do for that week.

Crickett
03-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Yes, they need it, especially for the interviews and medical exams.

Do we really need to know if these guys have any kind of injuries or sanity?

if we didn't have the combine we'd think wells could really run a 4.3

Would that really be so bad if we thought he could really run a 4.3 40?

i was just being a beanie hater.

and again the performance drills are just to see who is better/faster/stronger than who on an even playing field. game tape doesn't show that. it shows other valuable stuff.

But do we really need to know what prospects are better/faster/stronger?

I mean do we really need to know? Is it really necessary? ;)

superman
03-14-2009, 04:19 PM
well...yeah