PDA

View Full Version : Stallworth Detained In Pedestrian Fatality

Splat
03-14-2009, 11:36 AM
STALLWORTH DETAINED IN PEDESTRIAN FATALITY (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/14/stallworth-detained-in-pedestrian-fatality/)

Friday was a good day for Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth. As of 4:00 p.m. EDT, he officially earned a $4.875 million roster bonus.

But Saturday is turning out to be a very bad day for the one-time first-round pick. According to CBS4 in Miami, Stallworth has been detained after an automobile accident that killed a pedestrian (http://cbs4.com/local/donte.sallworth.macarthur.2.959162.html).

Per the report, the accident happened at the intersection of Fisher Island Drive and the MacCarthur Causeway in Miami.

We’ve separately been advised that police are investigating whether Stallworth was driving under the influence. According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, authorities performed a mandatory blood draw on Stallworth, and they are awaiting the results of the test.

We’re also told that prosecutors are involved, and charges could be filed very soon.

:(

Nalej
03-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow. That's gotta be the worst feeling in the world.
I really hope it was an accident and not an alchohol related incident.
If so, say goodbye to your career

Splat
03-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I really don't know what to say very sad.

vidae
03-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Ughhh. I hope it wasn't alcohol related. You hate to hear about something like this happening regardless, but when you throw drinking and driving into it..

Vox Populi
03-14-2009, 11:49 AM
He should use his phone call to talk to Leonard Little.

MaxV
03-14-2009, 11:50 AM
I knew Leonard Little's name was going to be mentioned in this thread.

CashmoneyDrew
03-14-2009, 12:06 PM
What is it with Tennessee players and traffic fatalities? Dewayne Goodrich, Leonard Little, now possibly Donte Stallworth? Damn. Sad story.

BeerBaron
03-14-2009, 12:07 PM
He should use his phone call to talk to Leonard Little.

Get the same lawyer he used and you'll probably get away scot free.

Ugh....the stupidity of the rich is just too much sometimes. You just got 4+ million bucks. If there was alcohol involved, seriously, use some of that money to buy yourself a damn cab.

Hopefully it's just an accident but seriously, wtf...

Prowler
03-14-2009, 12:13 PM
that's why people shouldn't drive like morons. i don't even care about the alcohol or not. there's no excuse short of he was driving in the dark and the kid fell from the sky out of an invisibility cloak and onto his car.

BeerBaron
03-14-2009, 12:16 PM
that's why people shouldn't drive like morons. i don't even care about the alcohol or not. there's no excuse short of he was driving in the dark and the kid fell from the sky out of an invisibility cloak and onto his car.

I've had some dumb people just bolt across in front of me before and it was damn hard to get stopped. I can see how it can happen on accident....

But if the police are really investigating hard, odds aren't good that it really was just an accident.

TitanHope
03-14-2009, 12:31 PM
What is it with Tennessee players and traffic fatalities? Dewayne Goodrich, Leonard Little, now possibly Donte Stallworth? Damn. Sad story.

Adding Haynesworth goin' 2 Fast, 2 Furious on some dude, they should seriously install Drivers' Ed. at UT. Can any Tennessee alum drive?

Ok, no one here ever get in the car with Hawk or Staubach12.

PoopSandwich
03-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Wow are you kidding me?

If he was drunk he deserves to go to jail for a long long time, people in Cleveland already hate this guy... I hope they find out what happened.

senormysterioso
03-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I've had some dumb people just bolt across in front of me before and it was damn hard to get stopped. I can see how it can happen on accident....

But if the police are really investigating hard, odds aren't good that it really was just an accident.

Actually, that means that odds are good that it was just an accident. They obviously would have given him a breathalyzer on scene and if he popped on that they would have had probable cause to give him a blood draw. If they're holding him, that probably means that his breathalyzer was ok or that he refused the test, in either case they'd have to get a warrant for the blood draw. He would have been charged already if alcohol was involved most likely.

Prowler
03-14-2009, 12:57 PM

true, for some odd reason i was thinking that he had killed a little kid.

Matthew Jones
03-14-2009, 01:02 PM
I like Stallworth, he's a really funny guy, but this isn't good at all. Still, I think it was accidental (for the reasons someone mentioned above about the blood draw and the charges not having been filed yet), and Leonard Little did something similar and he's still in the league. Good luck to Donte'.

Flippityskip91
03-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Actually, that means that odds are good that it was just an accident. They obviously would have given him a breathalyzer on scene and if he popped on that they would have had probable cause to give him a blood draw. If they're holding him, that probably means that his breathalyzer was ok or that he refused the test, in either case they'd have to get a warrant for the blood draw. He would have been charged already if alcohol was involved most likely.

They already drew blood as part of a mandatory practice when fatalities are involved.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/03/browns_stallworth_involved_in.html

senormysterioso
03-14-2009, 01:54 PM
They already drew blood as part of a mandatory practice when fatalities are involved.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/03/browns_stallworth_involved_in.html

Good call, I forgot that a lot of states have that law

Splat
03-14-2009, 03:04 PM
DONTE STALLWORTH UPDATE (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/14/donte-stallworth-update/)

Jvig43
03-14-2009, 03:35 PM

You have to consent to the breathalyzer if you were involved in an accident. Either way, I hope Stallworth wasnt under the influence of anything.

jayceheathman
03-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Get the same lawyer he used and you'll probably get away scot free.

Ugh....the stupidity of the rich is just too much sometimes. You just got 4+ million bucks. If there was alcohol involved, seriously, use some of that money to buy yourself a damn cab.

Hopefully it's just an accident but seriously, wtf...

Whether you are rich or not you should have a designated driver. Poor people drink and drive as well but it never makes the front page of Yahoo.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but Donte had some DUI & speeding issues when he was in NO, right?

I wouldn't be surprised..

keylime_5
03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
We just payed his roster bonus yesterday, so weird timing.

jayceheathman
03-14-2009, 03:55 PM

You have been watching too much Harry Potter.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-14-2009, 03:58 PM
We just payed his roster bonus yesterday, so weird timing.

Browns have bad timing with everything.

BigDawg819
03-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Adding Haynesworth goin' 2 Fast, 2 Furious on some dude, they should seriously install Drivers' Ed. at UT. Can any Tennessee alum drive?

Ok, no one here ever get in the car with Hawk or Staubach12.

Peyton Manning seems to be doing just fine.

CashmoneyDrew
03-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Peyton Manning seems to be doing just fine.

Peyton Manning is going to have a Lindsay Lohan like break down now with that jinx right there. We're gonna see his vagina all over the tabloids and everything.

eaglesalltheway
03-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Peyton Manning is going to have a Lindsay Lohan like break down now with that jinx right there. We're gonna see his vagina all over the tabloids and everything.

I wonder if he is a "secret" ginger...

eaglesalltheway
03-14-2009, 04:32 PM
If it turns out this was just an accident, I wish the best to the family and to Donte, but if Donte was under the influence, he deserves to be punished to the full extent of the law. My condolences to the family no matter what. I'm just hoping that Donte didn't do somehting very stupid, he does seem like a nice guy...

PoopSandwich
03-14-2009, 06:20 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/14/prosecutors-poised-to-charge-stallworth-with-dui/

Says his last drink was at midnight, if thats so he should be fine but you never know.

Hollywood
03-14-2009, 06:47 PM

You've obviously never driven in the third world country they call Miami. Let's wait for the details to come out in this story before we start ripping into the guy...

steelersfan43
03-14-2009, 07:43 PM
I dont understand How Leonard little Killed a guy and had .19 blood alcohol level and only got 90 days in jail.

PalmerToCJ
03-14-2009, 08:35 PM
I dont understand How Leonard little Killed a guy and had .19 blood alcohol level and only got 90 days in jail.

Agreed 100%, that absolutely sets me on fire. I drink plenty but I NEVER drive drunk, not so much for my sake but for other peoples sake. Anyone who kills someone while driving under the influence deserves life in prison in my eyes. It's not a mistake, it's a choice to do it. I don't care how drunk you are, you know what you're doing is wrong. The fact that Little not only is a free man but has made millions of dollars since the incident drives me beyond crazy... I can't imagine how her family feels, especially when Little got another DUI afterwards.

Back on topic, for the sake of all of this... I hope it's just a bad accident for everyone involved. No need to jump to conclusions.

Brent
03-14-2009, 08:43 PM
When you are rich, you are given more privileges than poorer people.

steelersfan43
03-14-2009, 09:10 PM
When you are rich, you are given more privileges than poorer people.
Society makes me sad

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/emo-panda.jpg

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-14-2009, 09:57 PM

He's been caught drinking and driving again after this incident as well. He definitely learned his lesson.

It amazes me Rams fans cheer for that scumbag.

sbh15
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM
I think either way Donte's career has got to be over. There's no way he can come back from this. Leonard Little got in a wreck right? Wasn't this a pedestrian who Stallworth straight up hit? How do you recover after something like that...

America
03-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I think either way Donte's career has got to be over. There's no way he can come back from this. Leonard Little got in a wreck right? Wasn't this a pedestrian who Stallworth straight up hit? How do you recover after something like that...

Didn't Leonard run over some lady multiple times. And he knew her too...

sbh15
03-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Didn't Leonard run over some lady multiple times. And he knew her too...

After attending a drunken birthday party in 1998, Little crashed into and killed another motorist, Susan Gutweiler in St. Louis, MO. When tested, his blood alcohol level measured 0.19 percent, a level that exceeds the statutory level of intoxication of 0.08 in the state of Missouri. Little received 90 days in jail, four years probation and 1000 hours of community service.

From Wikipedia...

21ST
03-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow. That's gotta be the worst feeling in the world.
I really hope it was an accident and not an alchohol related incident.
If so, say goodbye to your career

How does alchohol make it not an accident?

someone447
03-15-2009, 12:00 AM

His career will not be over if it turns out he wasn't drunk. Like it said in one of the articles, he flashed his lights and honked his horn, and was unable to take evasive action because of a median. Hopefully this isn't alcohol related, but we will see.

CashmoneyDrew
03-15-2009, 12:22 AM
His career will not be over if it turns out he wasn't drunk. Like it said in one of the articles, he flashed his lights and honked his horn, and was unable to take evasive action because of a median. Hopefully this isn't alcohol related, but we will see.

I think he may have meant it will be hard for him to recover mentally or something.

FlyingElvis
03-16-2009, 09:37 AM

Yeah, it seemed like they were blood testing as a mandatory response.

You've obviously never driven in the third world country they call Miami. Let's wait for the details to come out in this story before we start ripping into the guy...
Agreed. Especially if a report the talking heads mentioned this a.m. was correct, which claimed Stallworth went around a stopping vehicle to beat a yellow light. If so that's an illegal crossing.

Either way, not enough info yet. Honking the horn and flashing the lights . . . there damn well should be some skid marks, too. If not Stallworth is in trouble either way. And even if he stopped drinking at midnight he could be over the DUI limit, especially if he likes his Patron from a tumbler like I do.

21ST
03-16-2009, 11:06 AM

Its all about criminal intent if you ever wanted someone dead drinking and driving is a pretty good way to go about doing it. It is illegal because it impairs you and if you are imparied you cant be fully responsable for your actions its real crazy

noondog
03-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, it seemed like they were blood testing as a mandatory response.

Agreed. Especially if a report the talking heads mentioned this a.m. was correct, which claimed Stallworth went around a stopping vehicle to beat a yellow light. If so that's an illegal crossing.

Either way, not enough info yet. Honking the horn and flashing the lights . . . there damn well should be some skid marks, too. If not Stallworth is in trouble either way. And even if he stopped drinking at midnight he could be over the DUI limit, especially if he likes his Patron from a tumbler like I do.

The very fact that he admitted to have been drinking is bad, bad news. Of course he's going to say he quit at midnight...I mean, he's going to try to absolve himself of the potential that he was under the influence, right? The blood testing will undoubtedly be expedited now.

Anyways, even if he did quit drinking at midnight, the liver can only break down alcohol so fast....the rate is something around 1 standard drink every two hours, which means that his body could reasonably only have broken down about 3.5 drinks between midnight and 7 a.m.

I really hope that this isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was over the limit. Tragic either way.

CashmoneyDrew
03-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Anyways, even if he did quit drinking at midnight, the liver can only break down alcohol so fast....the rate is something around 1 standard drink every two hours, which means that his body could reasonably only have broken down about 3.5 drinks between midnight and 7 a.m.

I'm pretty sure it's more than that.

noondog
03-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty sure it's more than that.

I did up until a few months ago too....I assumed that it was the typical beer an hour deal. I have a friend that had to take a remedial course after having been caught drinking and driving, and that's exactly what they told him (1 drink every 2 hours).

Apparently the most misleading part of it is that at a beer an hour, you won't necessarily feel impaired (depending on your individual tolerance to the sauce), but you will still blow over after a while because you'd be ingesting at a rate which exceeds what your body can break down.

Anyways, take it for what it's worth. I may be wrong, just trying to share what I have heard.

FlyingElvis
03-16-2009, 01:01 PM
^ It varies some based on weight and metabolism as well. 1 per hour . . . 2 per hour . . . either way it depends on when he started. If he had "at least four Patrons and two Margaritas" between 10p and midnight he's still likely to be well over the limit. If he started at 6p and had the last at midnight there's a big difference.

We will find out soon enough.

someone447
03-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I did up until a few months ago too....I assumed that it was the typical beer an hour deal. I have a friend that had to take a remedial course after having been caught drinking and driving, and that's exactly what they told him (1 drink every 2 hours).

Apparently the most misleading part of it is that at a beer an hour, you won't necessarily feel impaired (depending on your individual tolerance to the sauce), but you will still blow over after a while because you'd be ingesting at a rate which exceeds what your body can break down.

Anyways, take it for what it's worth. I may be wrong, just trying to share what I have heard.

I know for a fact it isn't 1 drink every two hours. It is slightly under a drink an hour. Like 1 drink every hour and fifteen minutes. Many of those classes are propaganda, much like DARE when we were in school. Of course drinking and driving is bad, but most of the other stuff they tell you in court mandated classes are exaggerations.

Every study has shown that it is a little less than a beer an hour.

someone447
03-16-2009, 01:06 PM
^ It varies some based on weight and metabolism as well. 1 per hour . . . 2 per hour . . . either way it depends on when he started. If he had "at least four Patrons and two Margaritas" between 10p and midnight he's still likely to be well over the limit. If he started at 6p and had the last at midnight there's a big difference.

We will find out soon enough.

Unlikely that he would still be over the limit at 7am, have you ever woken up still drunk after 6-8 drinks? I know the only time I've woken up still drunk was when I had 15+.

BandwagonPunditry
03-16-2009, 01:14 PM
How does alchohol make it not an accident?

...it means he would have been driving under the influence. At that point whether it was an 'accident' or not would pretty much be moot.

FlyingElvis
03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Unlikely that he would still be over the limit at 7am, have you ever woken up still drunk after 6-8 drinks? I know the only time I've woken up still drunk was when I had 15+.

Like I mentioned before - it all depends on the drinks. I like a glass of tequila when it's the good stuff. I don't measure out a shot, I pour up a tumbler. Those 4 Patrons could very well have been doubles or more. And we could be talking run of the mill Margaritas or a big ones. I'll wager the drinks are more likely to be large & strong in the VIP section. ;)

EDIT: And nothing says he was just waking up. My guess is he was out all night and on his way home. All speculation now, of course.

Whistler6
03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Reports are he was heading to the beach... Heading to the beach at 7am means he was probably getting an early start on sailing, surfing, working out, etc. There could be anything he was doing. If it was 9am I'd feel much more confident saying that, but the 7am deal makes it an uncomfortable situation. Still, there has been no charges yet and he was completely cooperating with the police, so I think it was simply and unfortunate accident.

j05son
03-16-2009, 02:18 PM

Yes, because every incident like this is the drivers fault 100% of the time.

true, for some odd reason i was thinking that he had killed a little kid.

Great job reading the story before jumping to conclusions...

If it turns out this was just an accident, I wish the best to the family and to Donte, but if Donte was under the influence, he deserves to be punished to the full extent of the law. My condolences to the family no matter what. I'm just hoping that Donte didn't do somehting very stupid, he does seem like a nice guy...

Indeed.

The very fact that he admitted to have been drinking is bad, bad news. Of course he's going to say he quit at midnight...I mean, he's going to try to absolve himself of the potential that he was under the influence, right? The blood testing will undoubtedly be expedited now.

I really hope that this isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was over the limit. Tragic either way.

There is no magic number to how fast your liver can breakdown alcohol. It factors on the amount of food eaten prior to drinking, the "healthiness" of the food, ones metabolism and of course the amount of alcohol consumed.

Let's wait for the details to come out in this story before we start ripping into the guy...

This.

someone447
03-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Like I mentioned before - it all depends on the drinks. I like a glass of tequila when it's the good stuff. I don't measure out a shot, I pour up a tumbler. Those 4 Patrons could very well have been doubles or more. And we could be talking run of the mill Margaritas or a big ones. I'll wager the drinks are more likely to be large & strong in the VIP section. ;)

EDIT: And nothing says he was just waking up. My guess is he was out all night and on his way home. All speculation now, of course.

It wouldn't surprise me at all for it to be alcohol related. That wasn't my point of the post. It was, if he was telling the truth and he had 6 drinks, and stopped at midnight, there is no way he was still drunk at 7am.

Your body processes alcohol at the same speed whether you are awake or asleep.

FlyingElvis
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
I got your point. & you're right - it would metabolize about the same awake or asleep.

I'm just saying that 6 drinks may be 6 doubles, which changes the calculations significantly. But it's entirely possible that he's not a lush like me. :D

Prowler
03-16-2009, 04:05 PM

Great job reading the story before jumping to conclusions...

Indeed.

There is no magic number to how fast your liver can breakdown alcohol. It factors on the amount of food eaten prior to drinking, the "healthiness" of the food, ones metabolism and of course the amount of alcohol consumed.

This.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ar8OHkJ9Poc.IlPdvLPvrdw5nYcB?slug=jc-stallworthcharges031509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

when you're behind the wheel it is your responsibility to make sure you don't kill anybody. other circumstances don't really matter. a man is dead and the police are going to probably charge stallworth. even if some people were idiots walking infront of oncoming traffic, that doesn't mean you can just hit them.

Hollywood
03-16-2009, 04:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ar8OHkJ9Poc.IlPdvLPvrdw5nYcB?slug=jc-stallworthcharges031509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

even if some people were idiots walking infront of oncoming traffic, that doesn't mean you can just hit them.

Sorry but this is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this site. Are you under 16 and unable to drive? Do you really think his (OR ANY OTHER human being) thought process was 'hmmm this guy is being an idiot and walking in front of me, I guess I can hit him'

It was an accident, **** happens man. If he could have avoided it he would have, he didn't and he is in a horrible situation now because of it.

Prowler
03-16-2009, 04:31 PM
just explaining my point since i was negative rep'd for my previous comments. and i know it was an accident, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been prevented.(for example by not speeding past a car to blow through a light, drinking, and whatever else allegedly happened)

by not obeying the laws, slowing down, not drinking, not looking, whatever the dude is dead. i'm just advocating some accountability and saying that irresponsible driving isn't cool.

PoopSandwich
03-16-2009, 04:33 PM

when you're behind the wheel it is your responsibility to make sure you don't kill anybody. other circumstances don't really matter. a man is dead and the police are going to probably charge stallworth. even if some people were idiots walking infront of oncoming traffic, that doesn't mean you can just hit them.

Is this a joke? I'm not even saying this because I am a Browns fan, I dislike Stallworth as a player a ton.

If I am going 70 mph im not taking my own life and possibly others driving because someone walked out in front of my car... If you can get out of the way you can, if you can't... well...

Prowler
03-16-2009, 04:43 PM
this isn't a deer that got hit.

and my post was a reply to the previous post not a totally new statement. my counter argument to
is that donte is probably going to be at fault and there is no excuse for killing somebody.

PoopSandwich
03-16-2009, 04:49 PM
this isn't a deer that got hit.

and my post was a reply to the previous post not a totally new statement. my counter argument to

is that donte is probably going to be at fault and there is no excuse for killing somebody.

Really? He is going to be at fault based on what, that he hit the guy?

Not much has leaked out besides that it was someone crossing a HIGHWAY and Donte tried to get the guys attention by honking and flashing his brights but couldn't get out of the way.

Just wait for the facts to get out, youre making yourself look stupid.

Prowler
03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Really? He is going to be at fault based on what, that he hit the guy?

Not much has leaked out besides that it was someone crossing a HIGHWAY and Donte tried to get the guys attention by honking and flashing his brights but couldn't get out of the way.

Just wait for the facts to get out, youre making yourself look stupid.

DUDE!!! look at my article link and any news site. stallworth was detained and is expected to be charged with crimes.
Miami police have indicated that Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth is expected to be charged as a result of the driving accident that killed a pedestrian early Saturday morning, two sources with knowledge of the investigation said.

“The police seem pretty confident that they’re going to charge him,” a source with the NFL said. “ … Even if he [is] clean, I think the police feel he’s going to be charged with something, regardless.”
if it was clearly not his fault then he would have been let go and there wouldn't be any of this talk.

Hollywood
03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Prowler: honest question but are you old enough to drive?

Prowler
03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
check my profile, i'm 24 and i don't understand how people don't understand what i'm saying.

PoopSandwich
03-16-2009, 05:36 PM
check my profile, i'm 24 and i don't understand how people don't understand what i'm saying.

Because you're basically saying if you hit someone with a car and they die its your fault 100% of the time.

Someone jumped in front of my uncles car trying to kill himself, was it my uncle's fault?

someone447
03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
DUDE!!! look at my article link and any news site. stallworth was detained and is expected to be charged with crimes.

if it was clearly not his fault then he would have been let go and there wouldn't be any of this talk.

You do realize that just because someone is charged, it doesn't mean they are guilty...

Wait until the facts come out to say that he was at fault. There are lots of unavoidable accidents involving pedestrians(unavoidable for the driver.)

If a pedestrian is killed in an auto accident, someone is ALWAYS detained. Being detained is not the same as being arrested. Someone is detained in order to question to see what happened.

If he was truly negligent, then you have a point. But if he did everything possible to avoid it, HE ISN'T AT FAULT!

Prowler
03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
i was rushing through my comments and lost the focus of my argument. i'd say absolutely not your uncle's fault. stallworth's guy was supposedly right next to the bus stop and was just trying to get back to his family. personally, i'm way more conservative morally than most people and have frankly lost my balls the past few years. i drive around the speed limit and am happy enough with my life to be afraid to die. so when i see that a person was killed through a probably negligent driver i pretty much immediately react against the driver since i am paranoid when i drive.

so my problem is just overprotectionism of life due to lack of balls. and i've had some friends die in car accidents too. nothing wrong with speeding a few miles over the limit, but this situation doesn't smell right.

someone447
03-16-2009, 06:00 PM
i was rushing through my comments and lost the focus of my argument. i'd say absolutely not your uncle's fault. stallworth's guy was supposedly right next to the bus stop and was just trying to get back to his family. personally, i'm way more conservative morally than most people and have frankly lost my balls the past few years. i drive around the speed limit and am happy enough with my life to be afraid to die. so when i see that a person was killed through a probably negligent driver i pretty much immediately react against the driver since i am paranoid when i drive.

so my problem is just overprotectionism of life due to lack of balls. and i've had some friends die in car accidents too. nothing wrong with speeding a few miles over the limit, but this situation doesn't smell right.

Personally, I don't understand the whole being afraid of dying thing, but I digress.

I wouldn't say not wanting to die shows a lack of balls, and driving safely surely doesn't show a lack of balls.

You keep saying "probably" guilty, or probably negligent, no one knows right now. There has been almost nothing released about the accident. Wait until some more facts come out. I hate to bring this up again, but look at the Duke LAX case. Just wait and see what actually happened instead of jumping to conclusions.

j05son
03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
just explaining my point since i was negative rep'd for my previous comments.

I neg-repped your comment about how he hit a kid. You obviously didn't read the article at all and based an opinion of some conclusion you drew up. Why post on something you OBVIOUSLY neglected to even read [as if you had, you would have known he didn't hit a kid] and try to argue with users about it!

Let's wait for the details to come out in this story before we start ripping into the guy...

Quoting Hollywood once again, as your to small minded to read it the first time.

If Stallworth was drinking or under the influence of something, by all means, he is 100% at fault and should be charged as such. Those results aren't in, and there is nothing new about the accident [which COULD be the pedestrians fault for all we know].

Prowler
03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
i already corrected myself and read all the articles. when i first read it i saw bus stop and immediately thought of school bus for some reason. go shove something up yourself if you want to be condescending.

cunit2k9
03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Stallworth's innocent! OJ hit the guy!

21ST
03-16-2009, 10:02 PM

Well dont you think you should man up pretty soon, your gonna die one day anyway why care? When its time to go its time to go

yourfavestoner
03-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Prowler: honest question but are you old enough to drive?

He may be old enough to drive, but has obviously never driven in Miami. I swear, pedestrians are trying to get hit in that city.

someone447
03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
He may be old enough to drive, but has obviously never driven in Miami. I swear, pedestrians are trying to get hit in that city.

Try El Paso, TX. There are just herds of Mexican illegals that stream across the freeway with no warning.

jriles0522
03-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Multiple sources reporting Stallworth was over legal limit during time of accident.

What does this mean for him this season?

Whistler6
03-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Multiple sources reporting Stallworth was over legal limit during time of accident.

F*** his season.. This changes his entire life. Wow.

FlyingElvis
03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
^Yup. It means his season will be spent in courts trying to minimize the payout to the family and the duration of his incarceration.

PoopSandwich
03-19-2009, 04:18 PM
If it ends up being true then Stallworth's playing career is probably done and he should spend a good amount of time behind bars. Alot is going to depend on where the man crossed as well if it was illegal or legal as well.

As far as in relation to football, Stallworth will almost 100% have to give back his 4.5 million dollar bonus.

I hope for his sake this isn't the truth, not because I want him back as a football player, but because as a person he's going to have to live with this the rest of his life.

yourfavestoner
03-19-2009, 04:52 PM

It means that he probably just went from an involuntary manslaughter case to murder.

Borat
03-19-2009, 05:03 PM
It means that he probably just went from an involuntary manslaughter case to murder.

Murder? I think it will be vehicular manslaughter.

Smooth Criminal
03-19-2009, 05:09 PM
This season? He better be in jail for this season. This should end his career. He should get alot of jail time for this. Max is 15 years, hopefully he'll never see the field again.

yourfavestoner
03-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Murder? I think it will be vehicular manslaughter.

Not if he was over the legal limit. Both murder and manslaughter are criminal homicides, except that manslaughter is a criminal with no "malice aforethought" or a man-endangering state of mind. Driving while being over the legal limit is considered to be a grossly negligent act with a high probability of resulting in serious bodily harm to another, and would therefore fulfill the malice aforethought requisite necessary for murder charges.

Smooth Criminal
03-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Not if he was over the legal limit. Both murder and manslaughter are criminal homicides, except that manslaughter is a criminal with no "malice aforethought" or a man-endangering state of mind. Driving while being over the legal limit is considered to be a grossly negligent act with a high probability of resulting in serious bodily harm to another, and would therefore fulfill the malice aforethought requisite necessary for murder charges.

He'll get vehicular manslaughter.

Yes, by the word of the law, they could charge him with murder. Doesn't happen very much though. They typically charge people with vehicular manslaughter, because it is a much easier case to prove than murder. Still 15 years jail time.

PACKmanN
03-19-2009, 05:20 PM
yup, for how many years people are told not to drink and drive yet they continue to do it, when will they ****** learn. My heart goes out to that family.

YAYareaRB
03-19-2009, 06:12 PM
My friend just got handed 4 years for vehicular manslaughter and the person he killed was a good friend of ours, drunk, and in the same car with him. I'll be damned if he gets off the hook with less than 2 years.

someone447
03-19-2009, 06:25 PM
My friend just got handed 4 years for vehicular manslaughter and the person he killed was a good friend of ours, drunk, and in the same car with him. I'll be damned if he gets off the hook with less than 2 years.

An acquaintance of mine from HS killed someone while driving drunk, and he was charged with vehicular manslaughter. I'm not sure how long he is serving though.

It won't be murder, because gross negligence doesn't include malice forethought. The could charge him with it, but no reasonable jury should(or will) convict if he is charged with murder. He will get vehicular manslaughter and a huge wrongful death. Hopefully he doesn't try to fight a lawsuit in civil court, and gives the family whatever they ask for. It's not like it will bring the guy back, but it will go a long way to showing that he is truly sorry.

Not to mention, this will never get to court. He will take a plea that gives him vehicular manslaughter.

TRAP STAR
03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
And the legal experts continue to weigh in with their valuable insights...

someone447
03-19-2009, 06:40 PM
And the legal experts continue to weigh in with their valuable insights...

Dude, I have done so much research on things like this... Not to mention, with my dad being a lawyer, I have talked to quite a few lawyers about the laws regarding this.

It's not like it is hard to read a law and see what it says. You don't have to be a legal expert to know the law... Not to mention, there are TONS of precedents for this, and the vast majority I have seen they are charged with vehicular manslaughter.

TRAP STAR
03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Dude, I have done so much research on things like this... Not to mention, with my dad being a lawyer, I have talked to quite a few lawyers about the laws regarding this.

It's not like it is hard to read a law and see what it says. You don't have to be a legal expert to know the law... Not to mention, there are TONS of precedents for this, and the vast majority I have seen they are charged with vehicular manslaughter.

Interesting, and do you know any of the facts of the case? Or are you basing your analysis on some low-brow, vague article thrown together in half an hour with extremely limited information?

You might want to figure out what the case is before you start trying to predict what it will result in.

the decider13
03-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Didn't the same thing happen with Leonard Little? He's still playing ball.

CC.SD
03-19-2009, 07:01 PM

and it's an absolute travesty.

I've been waiting to hear if he was over the limit before weighing in on this, and now it's out. He's done, get him out of the league, get him out of the public eye. He is a murderer and should be treated as such.

No excuses and no tolerance, don't think about Donte's life (murderer), think about the lives of the victim's family.

someone447
03-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Interesting, and do you know any of the facts of the case? Or are you basing your analysis on some low-brow, vague article thrown together in half an hour with extremely limited information?

You might want to figure out what the case is before you start trying to predict what it will result in.

The VAST majority of drunk driving cases go the exact same way. I would bet anything he pleads to vehicular manslaughter. It is an incredibly rare occurrence that someone who kills someone while driving drunk gets charged with, much less convicted of murder.

He won't get off scott free, there has been a huge crackdown on drunk driving over the past few years(even bigger than it was before.) It will also never make it to court if he is charged with murder. No DA would risk losing if he is willing to plead to vehicular manslaughter. Especially in a case that will be high profile as this.

If he was over the legal limit(which hasn't been 100% confirmed) but it does look very likely, he will be facing jail. There is no doubt about that. There is also only a very slim chance that the DA wouldn't accept a plea. Vehicular Manslaughter is the most he will get(it could also be intoxicated manslaughter, depending on the laws in Florida).

He could get vehicular homicide, but that is actually a lesser charge than manslaughter.

kalbears13
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Some 20 year old kid I played baseball with was charged with vehicular manslaughter like 2 months ago while racing. Two weeks ago he was on drugs and punched a window outside of a building and bled to death.

Something like this totally changes your life. Everyday waking up thinking about it. One stupid choice...

DenverDex
03-19-2009, 08:29 PM
and it's an absolute travesty.

I've been waiting to hear if he was over the limit before weighing in on this, and now it's out. He's done, get him out of the league, get him out of the public eye. He is a murderer and should be treated as such.

No excuses and no tolerance, don't think about Donte's life (murderer), think about the lives of the victim's family.

Couldn't have said it better.

Brodeur
03-19-2009, 09:01 PM

Politician Paul is not the Commish anymore.

Halsey
03-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I have no sympathy for a millionaire who chooses to drive drunk. Pay someone a modest sum to drive you, take a cab, take a limo, stay at your own mansion and party, whatever. If he was really drunk, I hope he spends a long time in jail.

someone447
03-19-2009, 09:07 PM
I have no sympathy for a millionaire who chooses to drive drunk. Pay someone a modest sum to drive you, take a cab, take a limo, stay at your own mansion and party, whatever. If he was really drunk, I hope he spends a long time in jail.

Why does it matter he is a millionaire? I have no sympathy for anyone who gets in a wreck while drunk(even if I have driven drunk a couple of times, I try not to, but the call of ***** can be a powerful thing.)

brat316
03-19-2009, 09:13 PM
As far as in relation to football, Stallworth will almost 100% have to give back his 4.5 million dollar bonus.

Why? He didn't get injured and it was a bonus for being with the team and other various things he probably did or did not do. He probably won't get his next bonus.

Smooth Criminal
03-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Leonard Little drove drunk and killed a person when the penalties were less severe. Drunk driving penalties have gotten much more extensive, as they should. Its an easy thing to not do, and causes so much damage.

PoopSandwich
03-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Why? He didn't get injured and it was a bonus for being with the team and other various things he probably did or did not do. He probably won't get his next bonus.

Why?

You don't think theres a contract violation about hitting and killing someone with car while drunk?

Halsey
03-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Why does it matter he is a millionaire? I have no sympathy for anyone who gets in a wreck while drunk(even if I have driven drunk a couple of times, I try not to, but the call of ***** can be a powerful thing.)

Fair point, but someone who can afford to be driven around has even less of an excuse, in my mind. I agree that it's wrong to get behind the wheel drunk no matter who you are.

MidwayMonster31
03-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't know much about NFL contracts that expect players to follow the law, but DUI manslaughter is a charge that the state of Florida does not **** around with. Stallworth will be lucky if he ever plays football again (not in prison, of course).

Mr. Stiller
03-20-2009, 02:51 AM
He'll get **** for time.

My sister and her ex boyfriend were riding home from Thunder in the Valley (Big local Bike week here in PA). A drunk driver pulled out on to the road, gunned it.. and collided with them.

This was his 5th DUI and 2 Wreck with a .08 or great BAC.

He's got 4 months.

FlyingElvis
03-20-2009, 08:54 AM
^ I won't be surprised to see him get off with little jail time. This country as a whole has laughable DUI laws and even weaker enforcement. Drunk drivers kill people all the time and get off. The amount of times I see/hear/read something about some douchebag working on the 4th, 5th, 6th+ DUI makes me sick. Combine that with the wealth Dante has to throw at his defense and a possible illegal crossing and he may not get any jail time at all.

MidwayMonster31
03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
It turns out that the victim wasn't on a crosswalk...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AijClXkEiUN_jaUwELIGIgs5nYcB?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

Whistler6
03-25-2009, 10:30 AM
ESPN is reporting that Stallworth flashed his lights... If he had time to react by flashing his lights, I would think he'd have time to slam the breaks or swerve. I guess that coulda done a whole lot more damage to other cars though. Just an all around crappy situation. I'm hoping realllllly hard he was sober and this was just an unfortunate accident. Dang.

CashmoneyDrew
03-25-2009, 10:52 AM
ESPN is reporting that Stallworth flashed his lights... If he had time to react by flashing his lights, I would think he'd have time to slam the breaks or swerve. I guess that coulda done a whole lot more damage to other cars though. Just an all around crappy situation. I'm hoping realllllly hard he was sober and this was just an unfortunate accident. Dang.

He could've been blocked in by other cars or a median or something.

tjsunstein
03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
There's no justifying this. He was drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk. If he was honestly not smart enough to call a taxi or even a teammate, why should he get off at all? Money is the root of all evil. Are there any reports that say how fast he was going? Because speeding after you know you had a few is probably up there for dumbest things ever.

Wootylicous
03-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Around 50 mph in a 40 zone

CashmoneyDrew
03-25-2009, 11:08 AM
There's no justifying this. He was drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk. If he was honestly not smart enough to call a taxi or even a teammate, why should he get off at all? Money is the root of all evil. Are there any reports that say how fast he was going? Because speeding after you know you had a few is probably up there for dumbest things ever.

I'm definitely not trying to justify Stallworth on this. He did his wrong and he should and will have to pay for it. I'm just saying that there's still a possible situation where he may have not been able to stop even if he had been sober. I don't know if you were talking about me when you said that, just trying to clarify my statement.

someone447
03-25-2009, 11:19 AM

It hasn't actually been released that he was drunk yet. It is just reports, the results of his blood test hasn't been released.

iowatreat54
03-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Really, the fact that the guy wasn't in a cross walk might lower the sentencing a bit, but not much. Stallworth is going to have to pay out his ass to the victim's family regardless, but the fact that he said he flashed his lights and he wasn't in a crosswalk might make him avoid jail. Which is Rudy Cool.

someone447
03-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Really, the fact that the guy wasn't in a cross walk might lower the sentencing a bit, but not much. Stallworth is going to have to pay out his ass to the victim's family regardless, but the fact that he said he flashed his lights and he wasn't in a crosswalk might make him avoid jail. Which is Rudy Cool.

See, I'm not completely sure what to think about jail time. Drunk driving is bad(if he was in fact drunk.) But the guy who got hit was in the process of breaking the law when he was killed. There are crosswalks for a reason, and that is to keep pedestrians safe.

But I am a callous, cold hearted bastard who has no regards for the "sanctity" of human life.

iowatreat54
03-25-2009, 11:34 AM
See, I'm not completely sure what to think about jail time. Drunk driving is bad(if he was in fact drunk.) But the guy who got hit was in the process of breaking the law when he was killed. There are crosswalks for a reason, and that is to keep pedestrians safe.

But I am a callous, cold hearted bastard who has no regards for the "sanctity" of human life.

Doesn't really matter that he wasn't in a cross walk. If I see someone steal a pack of gum, and I kill them, I will still go to jail. I mean, I think it's obvious Stallworth wasn't intending to kill anyone (unless he was playing Death Race, in which case, he wins), but even accidentally killing someone can bring a charge of manslaughter.

Like I said, the fact that the guy wasn't in the crosswalk will prolly keep Stallworth out of jail, but he is still going to have to pay a high price for this. If it turns out that he was even the littlest bit intoxicated, he absolutely should go to jail imo.

FlyingElvis
03-25-2009, 12:03 PM

Awesome. Way to not read anything in the articles posted so far.

Are there any reports that say how fast he was going?
There is one that says 50 in a 40, but how reliable that may be is unclear thus far.
He was drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

No reliable information as to whether or not he was drunk, and one report that the guy was not in a crosswalk.

Good gawd man, if you're going to play junior judge/jury/executioner, please at least follow along with the information that is available.

Crickett
03-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Good gawd man, if you're going to play junior judge/jury/executioner, please at least follow along with the information that is available.

HE'S NOT JUDGE JUDY AND EXECUTIONER!!!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

someone447
03-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Doesn't really matter that he wasn't in a cross walk. If I see someone steal a pack of gum, and I kill them, I will still go to jail. I mean, I think it's obvious Stallworth wasn't intending to kill anyone (unless he was playing Death Race, in which case, he wins), but even accidentally killing someone can bring a charge of manslaughter.

Like I said, the fact that the guy wasn't in the crosswalk will prolly keep Stallworth out of jail, but he is still going to have to pay a high price for this. If it turns out that he was even the littlest bit intoxicated, he absolutely should go to jail imo.

That is a horrible comparison...

A better comparison would be this. Someone goes into the store to steal a pack of gum, and the roof collapses, killing him, should the store be held liable? I don't think so because he was breaking the law. Same thing with someone drowning in your pool while trespassing, you shouldn't be held liable for that either.

If Stallworth wasn't drunk he shouldn't go to jail, period. It doesn't matter if the guy was in a crosswalk. Accidents happen, no use ruining two peoples lives. If Stallworth was drunk he should go to jail.

iowatreat54
03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
That is a horrible comparison...

A better comparison would be this. Someone goes into the store to steal a pack of gum, and the roof collapses, killing him, should the store be held liable? I don't think so because he was breaking the law. Same thing with someone drowning in your pool while trespassing, you shouldn't be held liable for that either.

If Stallworth wasn't drunk he shouldn't go to jail, period. It doesn't matter if the guy was in a crosswalk. Accidents happen, no use ruining two peoples lives. If Stallworth was drunk he should go to jail.

Yea, I was rushing it before class, it was bad. But in your case, yes. The store is completely liable. It doesn't matter if the person was breaking the law. That does not negate their personal rights nor does it negate the store's liability. Likewise, just because the guy wasn't in a crosswalk, doesn't mean Stallworth has no liability in hitting him.

He may not go to jail, but he is definitely liable. When I was a kid, I got hit by a car crossing the street in front of my house, and the lady that hit me had to pay out her ass for it because she was at fault. I don't think she went to jail, but she also wasn't drunk and didn't kill anyone. I think it is absolutely justifiable to "ruin" Stallworth's life if he was drunk. If he wasn't, he still should have to pay a ton of money to the family.

Fogartynyy2789
03-25-2009, 02:09 PM
This is going to turn into a Leonard Little situation where he'll plead guilty to a lesser offense and serve misdemeanor time, or pay some fine. The same thing happened to Jim Leyritz and he was drunk. He'll be playing again either in 2009 or 2010.

someone447
03-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Yea, I was rushing it before class, it was bad. But in your case, yes. The store is completely liable. It doesn't matter if the person was breaking the law. That does not negate their personal rights nor does it negate the store's liability. Likewise, just because the guy wasn't in a crosswalk, doesn't mean Stallworth has no liability in hitting him.

He may not go to jail, but he is definitely liable. When I was a kid, I got hit by a car crossing the street in front of my house, and the lady that hit me had to pay out her ass for it because she was at fault. I don't think she went to jail, but she also wasn't drunk and didn't kill anyone. I think it is absolutely justifiable to "ruin" Stallworth's life if he was drunk. If he wasn't, he still should have to pay a ton of money to the family.

I know the store is liable according to the law, but I think that is a ridiculous law. If you are in the process of breaking the law, the law should not protect you. Just like I believe a person has the absolute right to shoot someone who has broken into their house, regardless of whether or not they are a viable threat.

This is just a matter of personal belief, I think it is completely wrong that someone who is committing a crime is protected by the same laws they are ignoring.

tjsunstein
03-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Awesome. Way to not read anything in the articles posted so far.

There is one that says 50 in a 40, but how reliable that may be is unclear thus far.

No reliable information as to whether or not he was drunk, and one report that the guy was not in a crosswalk.

My interpretation was that he had a BAC of .12 and the guy was in a crosswalk. All the information I'm aware of so far has come from this thread. Whether it be me misreading it or someone else spewing out incorrect info, I'm not sure. I just pretty much scanned. And I put italics on that one quote by you because some of the information that is available is inaccurate, like the report of the .12...

FlyingElvis
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Nothing has been released - it's all "leaked" info and unnamed sources. For all we know the guy could have jumped in front of Stallworth so his family could get a big payday - just aim for the expensive car. ;)

All I'm saying is that your post was very . . . definitive - depsite the fact that none of the available info can be considered accurate & definitive.

Prowler
03-25-2009, 03:15 PM
jail him for life. anybody who's excuse is 'i flashed my lights to warn him' is too ignorant to be operating a vehicle. add speeding, drinking, and frankly this entire thing just doesn't feel right. 911 calls didn't seem to mention that stallworth trying to help him. for all we know he hit him, drove around the block, got scared, and came back.

if you see people on the side of the road then you slow down. if you see people on the side of the road looking like they are going to cross then you slow the **** down. if they cross then you can stop in time. i don't care if stallworth somehow manages to legally weasel his way out of this, he was morally wrong for not taking proper precautions to avoid him. driving is a privilege.

home invasion and jaywalking have nothing in common.

someone447
03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
jail him for life. anybody who's excuse is 'i flashed my lights to warn him' is too ignorant to be operating a vehicle. add speeding, drinking, and frankly this entire thing just doesn't feel right. 911 calls didn't seem to mention that stallworth trying to help him. for all we know he hit him, drove around the block, got scared, and came back.

if you see people on the side of the road then you slow down. if you see people on the side of the road looking like they are going to cross then you slow the **** down. if they cross then you can stop in time. i don't care if stallworth somehow manages to legally weasel his way out of this, he was morally wrong for not taking proper precautions to avoid him. driving is a privilege.

home invasion and jaywalking have nothing in common.

Thats why my original analogy involved petty theft.

We don't know if he was drunk yet. I'm sure he also attempted to brake, but if someone darts out into the road, sometimes your care just won't stop quick enough.

I have never been close to being hit by a car while crossing the street. I'm not stupid enough to think that I can take a car that weight 2k pounds.

Both the driver and the pedestrian have the responsibility to avoid accidents. There is a reason there are jaywalking laws, and that is so pedestrians don't dart in front of traffic.

Getting hit while crossing the road not at a designated area should automatically qualify you for the Darwin awards. It's not like it is hard to see a car coming and get the **** out of the way. Cars don't just sneak up on you. It isn't like they are small.

I have absolutely no sympathy for someone getting hit while illegally crossing the street. You should be smart enough to avoid the 2000 LB VEHICLE COMING AT YOU ON THE ROAD, THE ROAD WHERE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING! Now, if he was crossing at a stop light when it was red and he got hit, thats a different story because that is a designated area where cars are supposed to stop. But if you try to dart across the street and you get hit, well, you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Prowler
03-25-2009, 03:55 PM
i'm just ranting, not directing this towards anybody

pretty much my entire ire against stallworth is now taking stemming from his comments about flashing his lights and the leaked reports that he was over the limit. this entire thing screamed drunk driving from the start with half comments and unconfirmed reports. it's pretty safe to say that he was drinking something that night.

when i drive, i know what cars are in which lanes beside me and i pay attention to the road/people next to it. if he was drinking then he didn't think to care about what vehicles were next to him, or that maybe he should have slowed down. the only excuse for his logic besides alcohol is stupidity. either way, he wasn't thinking clearly enough to be driving. add in speeding and he was clearly wreckless. the possibility for jaywalking has to be taken into account at all times. people never know when a little kid will run out infront of your car or someone who's had a long day will take one too many steps. jacka** jaywalkers who dodge traffic take advantage of the situation, and they deserve to be heavily fined or jailed in some cases.

j05son
03-25-2009, 04:17 PM
He was drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

Firstly, it's being assumed that he was over the limit, no actual results are available to back this claim up. Secondly, the Miami Beach Police have released a report that has stated that Reyes WAS crossing illegally, was in the far left lane of a 6 lane causeway. They released that Stallworth's estimated speed was 50mph [in a 40mph zone] and that he stopped just feet beyond where the victim [Reyes] lay.

I have the same belief as many, if he was drunk or impaired, that he should be prosecuted as such. Like few on this site, I actually read the links and just didn't come out with dribble about he hit a school aged kid or someone in a crosswalk. It might serve some good to actually read the articles before voicing an opinion with misconstrued facts in it.

edit: they [Miami Beach Police] also released all but one 911 call.

iowatreat54
03-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Even if he was below the legal limit, that doesn't help his case. Just because he legally could drive, doesn't mean he wasn't impaired or too impaired too drive. The BAC level is just there as a measurement for level of alcohol, if you have below the legal limit you can still be arrested for driving impaired.

So if it comes out that Stallworth's BAC was like .06, that in no way excuses it because it's below the limit. He still drove while impaired and hit/killed a person. The only saving grace would be if his BAC was like .02 or lower I would think.

someone447
03-25-2009, 07:17 PM
i'm just ranting, not directing this towards anybody

pretty much my entire ire against stallworth is now taking stemming from his comments about flashing his lights and the leaked reports that he was over the limit. this entire thing screamed drunk driving from the start with half comments and unconfirmed reports. it's pretty safe to say that he was drinking something that night.

when i drive, i know what cars are in which lanes beside me and i pay attention to the road/people next to it. if he was drinking then he didn't think to care about what vehicles were next to him, or that maybe he should have slowed down. the only excuse for his logic besides alcohol is stupidity. either way, he wasn't thinking clearly enough to be driving. add in speeding and he was clearly wreckless. the possibility for jaywalking has to be taken into account at all times. people never know when a little kid will run out infront of your car or someone who's had a long day will take one too many steps. jacka** jaywalkers who dodge traffic take advantage of the situation, and they deserve to be heavily fined or jailed in some cases.

By all accounts he attempted to stop his car, and his car stopped only a few feet after where he hit. Braking hard, flashing your lights and honking your horn is all you can do if a pedestrian darts in front of you.

The pedestrian was also clearly reckless, he was crossing a 6 lane causeway? That is his fault he got hit. He should be smart enough not to try to play frogger. Like I said earlier, I have never even came close to being hit while crossing a street. The sun had either barely risen or not even risen at the time of the accident. It is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier for a pedestrian to see a car coming in the dark than it is for a driver to see a pedestrian. I have no sympathy for the victim, I just don't understand how you let yourself get hit by a car on a 6 LANE CAUSEWAY!

FlyingElvis
03-26-2009, 09:16 AM
^ I agree - throwing caution to the wind while crossing a major road is pretty close to the pinnacle of stupidity. Don't get me wrong - it's tragic that this guy died. However, it's also a solid candidate for a Darwin Award.

captainjack27
03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Not to alleviate any wrong doing by stallworth, but come on...Who crosses a 6 lane causeway in the middle of the street? That's just being unsafe. Not to disrespect the deceased, but you need to be smarter than that, even if Stallworth was over the limit, thats just dumb.

locseti
04-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Stallworth has been charged with DUI manslaughter, carries a max sentence of 15 yrs. His BAC was .12, well over the legal limit. Honestly though, this guy who tried to cross the 6 lane causeway during a time when many people are commuting could have been struck dead by someone stone cold sober. I wonder if that fact will play into the outcome at all.

iowatreat54
04-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Just because the pedestrian made a dumb decision should not lessen any charges against what Stallworth did. He was intoxicated and essentially used his car as a weapon to kill a person. Because it was an accident means it is manslaughter and not murder. That should be as lenient as the charges should be.

someone447
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Just because the pedestrian made a dumb decision should not lessen any charges against what Stallworth did. He was intoxicated and essentially used his car as a weapon to kill a person. Because it was an accident means it is manslaughter and not murder. That should be as lenient as the charges should be.

I don't agree he used his car as a weapon, but I do agree DUI manslaughter is the lowest his charge should be. This will end up as a plea and he will probably get a year or two(at least thats my guess.)

But the dumb decision by the pedestrian should lower the civil settlement that is sure to come.

iowatreat54
04-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't agree he used his car as a weapon, but I do agree DUI manslaughter is the lowest his charge should be. This will end up as a plea and he will probably get a year or two(at least thats my guess.)

But the dumb decision by the pedestrian should lower the civil settlement that is sure to come.

Well technically, he did use his car as a weapon, or at least that's how cases like these are usually determined I believe.

But yes, the decision of the pedestrian should only effect the civil suit, not the criminal charges. Even so, it would only like lower the payment like a couple million at the most. The guy's family is still going to be asking for like $20M and Stallworth will prolly settle out of court for no less than half. (I'm just making uneducated guesses on the numbers, but they will be high)

awfullyquiet
04-01-2009, 02:27 PM
why not 10?

personally i think if you're stupid enough to drive drunk, and you kill someone, you should go to jail for much longer than a year, even on a plea. you killed a man for christ sake because you are too stupid to not drive drunk. you killed someones father, brother, son, husband, while he was on his way to work. i hate how everyone gets off easy on DUI's, criminal negligence doesn't hold enough weight anymore, it's not like people do not know it's illegal... and that's the crux of the matter... which is why i abhor charles barkley saying 'well, i'll continue to drink and drive, even if i only had a few drinks'... because ****, for every time i've read in the paper/heard from a friend/what not... that it was 'just a few drinks'... that'd be less dui's.

morally reprehensible, borderline malicious... maybe i take too hard of stance on this... but, i do not believe that this was purely 'accidental'. A stone cold sober person probably wouldn't have hit the guy... what time of day was this again? 7am?

It's Stallworths responsibility to drive with due cautions to pedestrians. In the state of florida the driver is responsible to yield to pedestrians at all times. Stallworth, lacking this, should be charged with the maximum sentence for vehicular homicide. It's that easy.

JUICE da Block Captain
04-01-2009, 02:31 PM
why not 10?

personally i think if you're stupid enough to drive drunk, and you kill someone, you should go to jail for much longer than a year, even on a plea. you killed a man for christ sake because you are too stupid to not drive drunk. you killed someones father, brother, son, husband, while he was on his way to work. i hate how everyone gets off easy on DUI's, criminal negligence doesn't hold enough weight anymore, it's not like people do not know it's illegal... and that's the crux of the matter... which is why i abhor charles barkley saying 'well, i'll continue to drink and drive, even if i only had a few drinks'... because ****, for every time i've read in the paper/heard from a friend/what not... that it was 'just a few drinks'... that'd be less dui's.

morally reprehensible, borderline malicious... maybe i take too hard of stance on this... but, i do not believe that this was purely 'accidental'. A stone cold sober person probably wouldn't have hit the guy... what time of day was this again? 7am?

It's Stallworths responsibility to drive with due cautions to pedestrians. In the state of florida the driver is responsible to yield to pedestrians at all times. Stallworth, lacking this, should be charged with the maximum sentence for vehicular homicide. It's that easy.

That's all fine and dandy, but the justice system in the US does not work that way.

awfullyquiet
04-01-2009, 02:34 PM
That's all fine and dandy, but the justice system in the US does not work that way.

i'm looking for idealism here, not realism. really? he'll probably get 3 years probation.

killing someone is exactly 3 times worse than what joba chamberlain did...

Gay Ork Wang
04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
u get up to 5 years for downloading movies from the internet in germanys. that he could get less is bs

someone447
04-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Well technically, he did use his car as a weapon, or at least that's how cases like these are usually determined I believe.

But yes, the decision of the pedestrian should only effect the civil suit, not the criminal charges. Even so, it would only like lower the payment like a couple million at the most. The guy's family is still going to be asking for like $20M and Stallworth will prolly settle out of court for no less than half. (I'm just making uneducated guesses on the numbers, but they will be high)

I understand that in the eyes of the law he used it as a weapon, but I think that is faulty reasoning.

someone447
04-01-2009, 02:42 PM
why not 10?

The guy ran across a 6 lane causeway, obviously he wasn't looking for cars. Had he done what was taught to everyone at the age of 4 he would be alive. Stallworth deserves punishment, but the guy who died deserves a darwin award.

How do you know a sober person wouldn't have hit him? Sober people get in car accidents every single day.

In the eyes of the law Stallworth should yield to pedestrians, but using common sense, THE PEDESTRIAN SHOULD YIELD TO THE ******* CAR!! I have never even came close to getting hit while jaywalking. If a car is coming, you don't go. You don't try and play frogger across a busy 6 lane causeway, that is stupidity, pure and simple.

Again, Stallworth broke the law and he deserves to be punished. But this is one case where the victim is also at fault.

5 years for downloading movies? Thats absolutely ridiculous.

Gay Ork Wang
04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I bet there are millions of accidents a year by sober persons and 100000s by drunk people. People should drive drunk more, they dont have as many accidents!

i hope u get im joking

iowatreat54
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm sorry, but you can't use the logic "a sober person could have hit him." I don't care if you think it's true, but that isn't what happened. A drunk person hit him. You don't look at coulda's and woulda's, you look at what happened.

I have absolutely no sympathy for Stallworth, or any person that drives drunk and get's a ticket/accident/hits someone as a result. But the fact is because Stallworth is a high profile individual and has a lot of money, he will get a reduced sentence to something ridiculous like court supervision for 5 years and whatever he has to pay won't even effect his lifestyle.

someone447
04-01-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm sorry, but you can't use the logic "a sober person could have hit him." I don't care if you think it's true, but that isn't what happened. A drunk person hit him. You don't look at coulda's and woulda's, you look at what happened.

I have absolutely no sympathy for Stallworth, or any person that drives drunk and get's a ticket/accident/hits someone as a result. But the fact is because Stallworth is a high profile individual and has a lot of money, he will get a reduced sentence to something ridiculous like court supervision for 5 years and whatever he has to pay won't even effect his lifestyle.

No one is using that to defend him... I only used that to show why I have no sympathy for the guy who got hit. Everyone agrees he should be punished.

He will get jail time, I would bet anything. It won't be as much as most people in his situation, but this will be used to show that they are really cracking down on drunk driving.

someone447
04-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I bet there are millions of accidents a year by sober persons and 100000s by drunk people. People should drive drunk more, they dont have as many accidents!

i hope u get im joking

I was only saying that you can't say the only reason this happened was because he was drunk. It was definitely a factor, probably even a large factor, but to say it wouldn't have happened if he was sober is a fallacy.

iowatreat54
04-01-2009, 03:34 PM
No one is using that to defend him... I only used that to show why I have no sympathy for the guy who got hit. Everyone agrees he should be punished.

He will get jail time, I would bet anything. It won't be as much as most people in his situation, but this will be used to show that they are really cracking down on drunk driving.

Well, I still have sympathy for anyone who gets hit by a car going 50 mph. It's not like the guy just jumped in front of him. He had time to flash his lights supposedly but no time to even hit the breaks? I don't care if there are cars behind you, you hit the ******* breaks. Doing damage to a car is worth it to not hit a person.

I hope you are right on the 2nd part.

Gay Ork Wang
04-01-2009, 03:38 PM
I was only saying that you can't say the only reason this happened was because he was drunk. It was definitely a factor, probably even a large factor, but to say it wouldn't have happened if he was sober is a fallacy.
it was a joke directed at nobody

locseti
04-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Serioulsy there are such stupid drivers out there, he could just as easily been killed by one of them. I'd put Stallworth at .12 up against any woman yapping/text messaging on her cell phone in a heart beat.

someone447
04-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, I still have sympathy for anyone who gets hit by a car going 50 mph. It's not like the guy just jumped in front of him. He had time to flash his lights supposedly but no time to even hit the breaks? I don't care if there are cars behind you, you hit the ******* breaks. Doing damage to a car is worth it to not hit a person.

I hope you are right on the 2nd part.

I don't have sympathy for idiots, and playing frogger on a 6 lane causeway makes you an idiot.

He did hit the breaks, he stopped feet from where he hit the guy. That means he was braking to avoid him. I don't know why people thinks he just went GTA on the guy and ran through him at full speed.

it was a joke directed at nobody

Ah, I thought it was sarcasm. Kind of tough to tell on the internet.

JUICE da Block Captain
04-01-2009, 03:42 PM

You think the fact that Stallworth has a lot of money and is a high profile individual means he'll get less jailtime? Do you have any proof for this statement?

Yes, Stallworth will be able to afford quality legal representation but other than that he has no advantage in court. In fact, being a high profile athlete will likely play against him because the possibility exists that he'll be made an example,

locseti
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
You think the fact that Stallworth has a lot of money and is a high profile individual means he'll get less jailtime? Do you have any proof for this statement?

Yes, Stallworth will be able to afford quality legal representation but other than that he has no advantage in court. In fact, being a high profile athlete will likely play against him because the possibility exists that he'll be made an example,

lenny little?

JUICE da Block Captain
04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
lenny little?

It's not just celebrities that are getting reduced sentences. It's everybody.

iowatreat54
04-01-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't have sympathy for idiots, and playing frogger on a 6 lane causeway makes you an idiot.

He did hit the breaks, he stopped feet from where he hit the guy. That means he was braking to avoid him. I don't know why people thinks he just went GTA on the guy and ran through him at full speed.

Ah, I thought it was sarcasm. Kind of tough to tell on the internet.

I was under the impression that he stopped after hitting, not that he was breaking and stopped. I know I read he stopped right after the accident, but I don't think I ever read/heard that he breaked, that what he did was flash his lights.

Even so, I have more sympathy for the victim and his family than I do for Stallworth, because what he did is 100x dumber than what the victim did.

someone447
04-01-2009, 04:08 PM
lenny little?

His case was before states started cracking down on drunk driving.

someone447
04-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I was under the impression that he stopped after hitting, not that he was breaking and stopped. I know I read he stopped right after the accident, but I don't think I ever read/heard that he breaked, that what he did was flash his lights.

Even so, I have more sympathy for the victim and his family than I do for Stallworth, because what he did is 100x dumber than what the victim did.

I don't remember what article it was, but it was saying he came to complete stop just feet past the victim.

I have no sympathy for the victim or Stallworth, but I do have sympathy for both the family of the victim and Stallworth's family(more for the victims family).

awfullyquiet
04-01-2009, 05:47 PM
The guy ran across a 6 lane causeway, obviously he wasn't looking for cars. Had he done what was taught to everyone at the age of 4 he would be alive. Stallworth deserves punishment, but the guy who died deserves a darwin award.

how many cars were on the road at that time?

if it's JUST stallworth. and JUST the guy at 7am. in very light traffic (wasn't it a weekend? indeed: a saturday morning... not rush hour). avoiding the person would involve what? swerving? was he incapable of doing that... you don't know how much traffic was on the road at 7am on said 6 lane causeway.

How do you know a sober person wouldn't have hit him? Sober people get in car accidents every single day.

but we're to be under the legal and medical assumption that inebriated drivers tend to have worse reaction times. and thus isn't taking criminal negligence into consideration whatsoever.

In the eyes of the law Stallworth should yield to pedestrians, but using common sense, THE PEDESTRIAN SHOULD YIELD TO THE ******* CAR!! I have never even came close to getting hit while jaywalking. If a car is coming, you don't go. You don't try and play frogger across a busy 6 lane causeway, that is stupidity, pure and simple.

and sometimes people just don't look where their going. see: distracted. i do not think a person, remotely sane, would run across busy traffic.

i think it's insane to also jump to the conclusion that it was FILLED with traffic. because, regardless, who hit this man? a drunk man. no sober person hit the guy in any of the other 5 lanes. only a drunk man.

Again, Stallworth broke the law and he deserves to be punished. But this is one case where the victim is also at fault.

out of lack of intelligence, sure... but legally? florida has a yield to pedestrians law which i highly support, and hope they can legally support that

5 years for downloading movies? Thats absolutely ridiculous.

yes, that is ridiculous.

someone447
04-01-2009, 07:19 PM
how many cars were on the road at that time?

if it's JUST stallworth. and JUST the guy at 7am. in very light traffic (wasn't it a weekend? indeed: a saturday morning... not rush hour). avoiding the person would involve what? swerving? was he incapable of doing that... you don't know how much traffic was on the road at 7am on said 6 lane causeway.

but we're to be under the legal and medical assumption that inebriated drivers tend to have worse reaction times. and thus isn't taking criminal negligence into consideration whatsoever.

and sometimes people just don't look where their going. see: distracted. i do not think a person, remotely sane, would run across busy traffic.

i think it's insane to also jump to the conclusion that it was FILLED with traffic. because, regardless, who hit this man? a drunk man. no sober person hit the guy in any of the other 5 lanes. only a drunk man.

out of lack of intelligence, sure... but legally? florida has a yield to pedestrians law which i highly support, and hope they can legally support that

yes, that is ridiculous.

7am is rush hour, thats why I figure there was at least some traffic.

No one knows the circumstances of the accident, thats why I said you can't say he wouldn't have hit him had he been sober.

I know that legally the driver has to yield to pedestrians, and of course they should. That wasn't the point of my post. I don't care how distracted you are, how do you miss a car coming at you? That is stupidity pure and simple, I have no sympathy for him. I don't put a whole lot of weight in the legality of actions. What is legal and illegal has nothing to do with what you should and should not do.

We aren't arguing anything legally, or even morally. Stallworth deserves anything that is coming to him. But I just don't believe the guy who got hit deserves sympathy.

Chief49er
04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Still drunk at 7am and killing a man with his car, he deserves to spend a long time in jail.

Screw him.

locseti
04-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Still drunk at 7am and killing a man with his car, he deserves to spend a long time in jail.

Screw him.

You've never woke up "still drunk" and drove home early in the morning?

Chief49er
04-01-2009, 08:14 PM
You've never woke up "still drunk" and drove home early in the morning?

I have never killed anyone with my car.

someone447
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Anyone who has driven drunk can't judge someone who killed someone while driving drunk. Remove plank in your eye, before speck in your brothers eye, that whole thing.

JUICE da Block Captain
04-01-2009, 09:59 PM

So it's OK to drive drunk as long as you don't kill anybody? That's like saying it's OK to shoot at somebody as long as you don't hit them.

Job
04-01-2009, 10:19 PM

If he did stop the car just feet past the victim, then I guess you can assume that someone sober would have had a better reaction time, maybe just enough to stop right before hitting him, or at least slow down enough to not kill him.

kwilk103
04-01-2009, 10:35 PM
one of the things i hate....drunk drivers

never have driven drunk, never will

with a parent that worked in the icu for 20yrs, you learn not to do it real fast

plus, if my parents would ever find out...i would be a dead man

someone447
04-01-2009, 11:17 PM
If he did stop the car just feet past the victim, then I guess you can assume that someone sober would have had a better reaction time, maybe just enough to stop right before hitting him, or at least slow down enough to not kill him.

Drivers are distracted all the time. Like I have said countless times in this thread, you cannot say a sober driver wouldn't have hit him. A sober driver may not have hit him, but a different drunk driver may not have hit him too.

CC.SD
04-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Anyone who has driven drunk can't judge someone who killed someone while driving drunk. Remove plank in your eye, before speck in your brothers eye, that whole thing.

Why are you defending drunk drivers? What switch in your head went off that said "I feel the need to even remotely, even casually defend the drunk driver"?

someone447
04-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Why are you defending drunk drivers? What switch in your head went off that said "I feel the need to even remotely, even casually defend the drunk driver"?

Have you not read any of my posts? I said Stallworth deserves whatever punishment he gets, I also said that if anyone has ever driven drunk, they have no right to judge him. Then I said it is a fallacy to say that a sober driver wouldn't have hit him. Which one of those is defending what he did? Please, quote one post, since it came out that he was over the limit, that I defended him.

The closest I came to defending him was saying I have no sympathy for the guy who got hit. He was an idiot and decided to play frogger on a 6 lane causeway. There were two people who could have done something different. Stallworth could have not driven drunk, and the pedestrian could have not been an idiot and ran in front of a car.

Chief49er
04-02-2009, 09:10 AM

Ummm what?

I have not got behind of the wheel drunk since high school, when I was young and stupid. When I grew up and realized that people can die from it I figured I would never do it.

He killed an innocent man and he was drunk, **** him.

awfullyquiet
04-02-2009, 10:04 AM
ack. edit:delete

Hollywood
04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
The closest I came to defending him was saying I have no sympathy for the guy who got hit. He was an idiot and decided to play frogger on a 6 lane causeway. There were two people who could have done something different. Stallworth could have not driven drunk, and the pedestrian could have not been an idiot and ran in front of a car.

I agree with most of what you are saying in this thread, but I totally disagree with this. I know that street well and it was 7 in the morning, the dude just got off work and that street at 7 am on a weekend is completely empty. You are telling me that you honestly would walk the extra X amount of meters just to go to the crosswalk on an empty after you got off work?

Even if he was an idiot and crossed somewhere with a high risk of getting hit, how could you not have sympathy for a man that just got killed by someone that should not legally be on the road? I have sympathy for anyone who just killed, whether in my opinion they are an idiot or not; and it's only your opinion that this guy was an 'idiot'.

I also have sympathy for Stallworth whos life is forever changed because of this.

someone447
04-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree with most of what you are saying in this thread, but I totally disagree with this. I know that street well and it was 7 in the morning, the dude just got off work and that street at 7 am on a weekend is completely empty. You are telling me that you honestly would walk the extra X amount of meters just to go to the crosswalk on an empty after you got off work?

Even if he was an idiot and crossed somewhere with a high risk of getting hit, how could you not have sympathy for a man that just got killed by someone that should not legally be on the road? I have sympathy for anyone who just killed, whether in my opinion they are an idiot or not; and it's only your opinion that this guy was an 'idiot'.

I also have sympathy for Stallworth whos life is forever changed because of this.

It's not because he was jaywalking, its because he didn't notice a ******* car barreling down on him. How the **** can you not see a car coming towards you? I don't have sympathy for either of them, this accident was caused by stupidity on both sides. I don't have sympathy for people who do stupid things, and I don't expect sympathy when I do stupid things.

Ummm what?

I have not got behind of the wheel drunk since high school, when I was young and stupid. When I grew up and realized that people can die from it I figured I would never do it.

He killed an innocent man and he was drunk, **** him.

I probably phrased that poorly, the guy who posted below me said it much better.

But congratulations, you got lucky when drove drunk. I got lucky when I drove drunk. We didn't kill anyone and we didn't get hurt. Stallworth did, does that make what he did more morally wrong? I don't think it does. It may **** up his life more, and it may **** up his mind more, but I don't think accidentally killing someone while drunk is more of a moral lapse than putting yourself in the position to kill someone while you are drunk.

awfullyquiet
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
It's not because he was jaywalking, its because he didn't notice a ******* car barreling down on him. How the **** can you not see a car coming towards you? I don't have sympathy for either of them, this accident was caused by stupidity on both sides. I don't have sympathy for people who do stupid things, and I don't expect sympathy when I do stupid things.

you're assuming the road is straight, that they're no traffic signals, and that stallworth followed said traffic signals. none of this is noted either.

i keep looking at the map and am trying to pinpoint where it is.

Hollywood
04-02-2009, 12:51 PM

This might be the dumbest ******* thing I have ever read on the internet. Congratulations. 59 year old man is rushing trying to catch his bus at 7AM on an empty street after a long night of work, Donte comes speeding 10 MPH over the limit of 40 while drunk (by a wide margin, this wasn't a 0.8), hits him, kills him and oh...you have no sympathy for the guy who just left a 15 year old girl fatherless because he was stupid and should have seen the car coming?? It was an error in judgment, you know nothing of what he saw or was going through his mind when he tried to cross.

You must have never had anyone close to you die, because I guarantee with some of those people close to you there was a way to prevent it from happening. You probably sat in the funeral of your 75 year old grandfather attack a heart attack with a smirk on your face like 'i aint got no sympathy, old man shouldnt have eaten so many cheeseburgers'

Hollywood
04-02-2009, 12:54 PM
you're assuming the road is straight, that they're no traffic signals, and that stallworth followed said traffic signals. none of this is noted either.

i keep looking at the map and am trying to pinpoint where it is.

This too. Mcarthur causeway is a pain in the ass to drive on him, I could only imagine crossing. It's a ******* bridge, and if youve ever crossed a hilly street or bridge at the low spot you know there are blind spots everywhere.

someone447
04-02-2009, 02:10 PM
This might be the dumbest ******* thing I have ever read on the internet. Congratulations. 59 year old man is rushing trying to catch his bus at 7AM on an empty street after a long night of work, Donte comes speeding 10 MPH over the limit of 40 while drunk (by a wide margin, this wasn't a 0.8), hits him, kills him and oh...you have no sympathy for the guy who just left a 15 year old girl fatherless because he was stupid and should have seen the car coming?? It was an error in judgment, you know nothing of what he saw or was going through his mind when he tried to cross.

You must have never had anyone close to you die, because I guarantee with some of those people close to you there was a way to prevent it from happening. You probably sat in the funeral of your 75 year old grandfather attack a heart attack with a smirk on your face like 'i aint got no sympathy, old man shouldnt have eaten so many cheeseburgers'

Like I said, I have sympathy for the family of the victim, not the victim.

I see death as a completely natural part of life. What is there to be sympathetic towards a dead person for anyway? He doesn't know he is dead. But even had he lived, I would have had no sympathy for him.

Was I sad at my grandfathers funeral? Of course I was, but not for him. I was sad for myself and for my family.

someone447
04-02-2009, 02:12 PM
This too. Mcarthur causeway is a pain in the ass to drive on him, I could only imagine crossing. It's a ******* bridge, and if youve ever crossed a hilly street or bridge at the low spot you know there are blind spots everywhere.

All the more reason not to cross there... I like to be certain I'm not going to get hit by a car when I cross a street.

Chief49er
04-02-2009, 05:37 PM

I probably phrased that poorly, the guy who posted below me said it much better.

But congratulations, you got lucky when drove drunk. I got lucky when I drove drunk. We didn't kill anyone and we didn't get hurt. Stallworth did, does that make what he did more morally wrong? I don't think it does. It may **** up his life more, and it may **** up his mind more, but I don't think accidentally killing someone while drunk is more of a moral lapse than putting yourself in the position to kill someone while you are drunk.

Sorry dude, but you are very confused. I did it in a small town when I was 17 and that is because I was a young dumbass. Once I became a man I realized my actions have consequences, I have never done it since then. So yes he was morally wrong and should go to jail for a long time. The dude is a loser that was drunk and killed an innocent man. He accidentally killed someone, but he got behind the wheel of his car drunk and willingly. He is a very wealthy man, he could of got home many other ways.

Screw him, he is a complete dumbass.

awfullyquiet
04-02-2009, 05:45 PM
He is a very wealthy man, he could of got home many other ways.

like walking home. across macarthur causeway.

someone447
04-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Sorry dude, but you are very confused. I did it in a small town when I was 17 and that is because I was a young dumbass. Once I became a man I realized my actions have consequences, I have never done it since then. So yes he was morally wrong and should go to jail for a long time. The dude is a loser that was drunk and killed an innocent man. He accidentally killed someone, but he got behind the wheel of his car drunk and willingly. He is a very wealthy man, he could of got home many other ways.

Screw him, he is a complete dumbass.

I'm not saying you can't say he was morally wrong. That was never the point of my post. My point was that drunk driving and killing someone while drunk driving are morally equivalent(unless you purposely killed the person.) You can't get on Stallworth anymore than any other drunk driver. Drunk driving is never ok, regardless of whether or not you hit someone.

It seems like I have to say this every post so people don't think I am excusing what he did. He does deserve to go to jail, but anyone who drives drunk deserves to go to jail.