PDA

View Full Version : Jason Smith vs. Jake Long

Thunder&Lightning
03-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Is Jason smith a better prospect than jake long was?

Sniper
03-14-2009, 12:13 PM

No, he isn't.

03-14-2009, 12:19 PM
not really..he may have a slight edge in the pass protection department, but Jake Long was a beast....

Best O-line prospect this decade however would have to be Joe Thomas

JT Jag
03-14-2009, 12:22 PM
No. Jason Smith is a better pass-blocker, but he's not even in the same ballground with Long when it came to run-blocking.

On a scale of 1-5 I'd put:

Jason Smith
Pass Blocking: 5
Run Blocking: 3

Jake Long
Pass Blocking: 4
Run Blocking: 5

Woody56
03-14-2009, 12:24 PM
No. I would say Smith is more on Chris Williams level as a prospect than Jake Long.

JT Jag
03-14-2009, 12:34 PM
No. I would say Smith is more on Chris Williams level as a prospect than Jake Long.Personally he reminds me a LOT of D'Brickashaw Fergason.

Texas Homer
03-14-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd take Jake Long every day of the week.

ThePudge
03-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I would say I'd rather have Jason Smith five years down the line than Jake Long. I was never all too high on Long last season. I happen to be very high on Jason Smith. I saw Long as a very solid Left Tackle, but an All-Pro type Right Tackle. I see Smith as a true LT, a guy who has the ability to be an absolute stud at Left Tackle.

I would agree, Long was the far more polished prospect, more experienced, a much better run blocker, technically sound, and more balanced. Jason Smith though catches my eye with natural athleticism, agility, toughness, and a work ethic that would typically just scream overachiever. If Smith is an overachiever, with his natural ability, athleticism, etc, we could be looking at one of , if not the best Left Tackles in football five years down the line.

So, to make it interesting, I will say if I personally held a Top 3 pick in the 2008-2009 drafts, I would probably lean toward Jason Smith. Long was by far the more balanced and safer prospect, but I feel Smith gives me more upside and a personality that points to him being able to reach that potential.

TACKLE
03-14-2009, 02:19 PM
I really like Jason Smith but...

Eugene Monroe > Jason Smith

I think Long is going to be really solid for a long time but I think Monroe/Smith have the chance to be elite at their position.

roscoesdad27
03-14-2009, 02:27 PM
andre smith is better than either of them and is the best runblocking o.t. that i have ever seen in college....jason smith belongs in a heavy pass scheme only imho.

Michigan
03-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I would say I'd rather have Jason Smith five years down the line than Jake Long. I was never all too high on Long last season. I happen to be very high on Jason Smith. I saw Long as a very solid Left Tackle, but an All-Pro type Right Tackle. I see Smith as a true LT, a guy who has the ability to be an absolute stud at Left Tackle.

I would agree, Long was the far more polished prospect, more experienced, a much better run blocker, technically sound, and more balanced. Jason Smith though catches my eye with natural athleticism, agility, toughness, and a work ethic that would typically just scream overachiever. If Smith is an overachiever, with his natural ability, athleticism, etc, we could be looking at one of , if not the best Left Tackles in football five years down the line.

So, to make it interesting, I will say if I personally held a Top 3 pick in the 2008-2009 drafts, I would probably lean toward Jason Smith. Long was by far the more balanced and safer prospect, but I feel Smith gives me more upside and a personality that points to him being able to reach that potential.

Jake Long made the Pro Bowl as a LT this year.

Sniper
03-14-2009, 02:44 PM
andre smith is better than either of them and is the best runblocking o.t. that i have ever seen in college....jason smith belongs in a heavy pass scheme only imho.

Why is it that some people can never answer the original question without saying "ZOMGZ MY FAVE PLAYER IS BETTER THAN BOTH"?

goblue8888
03-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Long was every bit as good as Smith as a run blockler and Longs supporting cast at oline was a lot worse than Smiths. Not to mention none of these guys have the mean streak long had IMO. The crazy thing is that long was the second best OT in last years drat behind Clady.

ThePudge
03-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Jake Long made the Pro Bowl as a LT this year.

Yes, and he did play well. He surprised me with how quickly he came in and looked very natural on the Left Side. Did he play at a Pro Bowl level? No, not exactly. Ryan Clady was unanimously the best rookie OT, but got screwed out by Long because he was picked 11 picks earlier and the Phins underwent a massive overhaul and went from one win to a winning record. The Pro Bowl is very political.

energizerbunny
03-14-2009, 04:02 PM
i would agree that Long would be the 4th best tackle if he was in this years class..

Smith,Monroe,Oher,Long.

Long is good but you guys are putting too much emphasis on his great rookie season, he is not as good as any of the top 3 guys this year..... Andre Smith is even better then him.

StorminNorman
03-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I would take Jason Smith over any Tackle prospect in recent memory.

Mr. Hero
03-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Great post and really nothing I can add. I agree completely and have really been digging Jason Smith for a while now, I see him as a better Ryan Clady and Clady was incredibly this year.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Great post and really nothing I can add. I agree completely and have really been digging Jason Smith for a while now, I see him as a better Ryan Clady and Clady was incredibly this year.

Yeah, a lot of people are making the Clady comparison, but I don't see Jason Smith as being that good.

I cannot tell you how much I was begging for Denver to take Cutler's Vandy buddy in Chris Williams when Denver was on the clock. Carolina may have taken Clady next though.

I think coming out Jake Long was a better prospect. But, I don't see Jason Smith being better than Jake Long or Ryan Clady in the NFL.

I still believe Monroe has the best shot at having a Ryan Clady type impact in his rookie year. Monroe has the best feet, IMO. I know many will dispute that, but I think he is more advanced and better than Smith.

I think Andre Smith & Jake Long should be compared. Andre & Long are more of the same mold.. Many think Andre might be a RT & some questioned whether or not Long could play LT in the NFL. Andre Smith was just as good as Long in College, IMO. But, with the character concerns Long is the better prospct.

thetedginnshow
03-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Someone made the comparison to D'Brickashaw. I think that's pretty accurate. I think Ferguson was a little better prospect, but I see him having about the same success.

Michigan
03-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Yes, and he did play well. He surprised me with how quickly he came in and looked very natural on the Left Side. Did he play at a Pro Bowl level? No, not exactly. Ryan Clady was unanimously the best rookie OT, but got screwed out by Long because he was picked 11 picks earlier and the Phins underwent a massive overhaul and went from one win to a winning record. The Pro Bowl is very political.

What makes you say that Jake Long did not play at a pro bowl level? He only gave up 2.5 sacks all year, fifth best in the NFL. To put that in comparison, here's how many sacks the other Pro Bowl LT's gave up this year:

Michael Roos 1.0
Jordan Gross 3.0
Chris Samuels 3.0 (12 starts)
Walter Jones 3.5 (12 starts)
Joe Thomas 4.5
Jason Peters 11.5

Not bad for a player whose biggest weakness is supposedly pass protection.

Clady undoubtedly played at a pro bowl level too (just 0.5 sacks all year), but it's not "unanimous" that he played better than Long. Clady played in an OL friendly blocking scheme, isn't as good of a run blocker, and didn't have to play next to a revolving door of LG's like Long did.

Sorry for getting off topic, but it really bothers me when people say Jake Long was undeserving of a Pro Bowl because Ryan Clady played "so much better". You can definitely say Clady should've made it, but that isn't a reason Long shouldn't have made it.

Halsey
03-14-2009, 08:27 PM
People are forgetting what a highly rated prospect Robert Gallery was. That's classic revisionist history to leave him out. The fact that he's been a major disappointment does not change the fact that Gallery was one of, if not THE highest rated tackle of the last decade.

Hollywood
03-14-2009, 08:35 PM
People are forgetting what a highly rated prospect Robery Gallery was. That's classic revisionist history to leave him out. The fact that he's been a major disappointment does not change the fact that Gallery was one of, if not THE highest rated tackle of the last decade.

Concur. Gallery was not only considered an extremely safe pick with a low floor, but he also had a tremendous ceiling as a dominant LT. Seemed like a sure bet to be an all pro LT.

You look back at that top 5 of Eli Manning, Gallery, Larry Fitzgerald, Philip Rivers and Sean Taylor I think the majority would agree that Gallery was the safest pick to reach the pro bowl at his position.

Thumper
03-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Why is it that some people can never answer the original question without saying "ZOMGZ MY FAVE PLAYER IS BETTER THAN BOTH"?

Because that would make sense.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Personally, I'd take Jake Long. I had my questions about him at left tackle, to be sure, but he was one of the most complete and consistent offensive tackle prospects I had ever seen. Jason Smith isn't quite that for me. I do think he hold significant potential as a left tackle and could be great, but he's further from that potential that Long and his tools aren't so overwhelming for him to be rated higher.

Castle
03-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Isn't anyone worried that Jason Smith played primarily in the 2 point stance his entire career? I'm quite surprised hes rated higher than Monroe at this point considering Monroe has more experience and better overall technique in both pass and run blocking.

Mr. Hero
03-15-2009, 03:34 AM
Isn't anyone worried that Jason Smith played primarily in the 2 point stance his entire career? I'm quite surprised hes rated higher than Monroe at this point considering Monroe has more experience and better overall technique in both pass and run blocking.

The reason that doesn't worry me very much is that on top astounding measureables Smith is a very hard working with a great attitude and is fiery on the field. He will better himself at the next level and his motor is tremendous. So while he certainly needs quite a bit of polish I feel very comfortable prognosticating him reaching his potential. Thus my comparison to a rich man's clady once he does hit his stride.

Cicero
03-15-2009, 03:50 AM
Long was the better prospect coming out of college.

ironman4579
03-15-2009, 09:11 AM
What makes you say that Jake Long did not play at a pro bowl level? He only gave up 2.5 sacks all year, fifth best in the NFL. To put that in comparison, here's how many sacks the other Pro Bowl LT's gave up this year:

Michael Roos 1.0
Jordan Gross 3.0
Chris Samuels 3.0 (12 starts)
Walter Jones 3.5 (12 starts)
Joe Thomas 4.5
Jason Peters 11.5

Not bad for a player whose biggest weakness is supposedly pass protection.

Clady undoubtedly played at a pro bowl level too (just 0.5 sacks all year), but it's not "unanimous" that he played better than Long. Clady played in an OL friendly blocking scheme, isn't as good of a run blocker, and didn't have to play next to a revolving door of LG's like Long did.

Sorry for getting off topic, but it really bothers me when people say Jake Long was undeserving of a Pro Bowl because Ryan Clady played "so much better". You can definitely say Clady should've made it, but that isn't a reason Long shouldn't have made it.

Not much to add after this. I'd say Long was a top 3 tackle in the AFC last year, and top 5 or 6 in the NFL.

P-L
03-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Even if Long didn't deserve to go over Clady, he still deserved to go. He was the third best AFC left tackle this year behind Ryan Clady and Michael Roos.

Iamcanadian
03-15-2009, 10:34 AM

I cannot completely agree. First, Long was drafted by Parcells #1 overall because Parcells is a run first believer and in his system Long was a perfect fit. Nobody knows how good a run blocker you will end up with in Smith and it will be years before you know. Is he a better pass Blocker than Long, yes, but the margin isn't as big as some people here are suggesting. Monroe is a far better pass blocker than Jason so you may ask why Smith will likely be drafted ahead of Monroe. Jason is simply a far more physical player who has a mean streak which suggests he will be a good run blocker down the line. He isn't a Thomas however as a pass blocker. IMO, I'd take him over Monroe but certainly Parcells wouldn't take him over Long. He is not a finished product like Thomas or Long and has a lot of work to put in before he can come close to matching their effectiveness. It should be noted that when you are as raw as Jason Smith the bust factor is also much greater. Jason Smith IMO, will be solid LT in the NFL but he may never be an All Pro. We'll just have to see how he develops.

MarioPalmer
03-15-2009, 10:40 AM
No he is not, but I'd take Ryan Clady over both of them. Clady beasting it up against Richard Seymour was ******* EPIC. Jake Long got his lunch against Mario, but that was expected cause Mario is Mario, but Clady freakin owned Seymour and that was one of those moments that made you just sit there with your mouth open. Clady should have gone #2 Overall in 2008. Not Chris "I'm too small to play DE" Long.

Sniper
03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
No he is not, but I'd take Ryan Clady over both of them. Clady beasting it up against Richard Seymour was ******* EPIC. Jake Long got his lunch against Mario, but that was expected cause Mario is Mario, but Clady freakin owned Seymour and that was one of those moments that made you just sit there with your mouth open. Clady should have gone #2 Overall in 2008. Not Chris "I'm too small to play DE" Long.

Again, a prime example of "answering the actual question instead of sucking off one of my favorite players would just be too damn hard".

MarioPalmer
03-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Again, a prime example of "answering the actual question instead of sucking off one of my favorite players would just be too damn hard".

Not quite sure how to take that, but Jake Long is a beast, he is perfect for the system he is in. His run blocking is elite and his pass blocking will become elite. But if were talking about the last 2 drafts and the so called best prospects at a specific position then why isn't Ryan Clady mentioned? Is it because he wasn't the top OLT taken? Because that shouldn't matter. Clady is better than Jason Smith, and if Clady had stayed in school for his senior year he would without a doubt be the #1 player on the board and most likely the #1 player taken. You don't think so.

Most people know just through common sense that Jake Long is a better OLT prospect than Jason Smith, really it's not even arguable. Clady on the other hand has been over looked in this conversation. And with how Clady played last year, you have to admit that he was outstanding and showed that he was much more valuable then being drafted where he did.

But, in reality, what kind of question is thread? It's not even comparable between Jake Long or Jason Smith. Jake Long was a sure pick who was polished and was a consistent performer from day one at Michigan going up against elite college competition. Smith played against the weak Big 12, who doesn't have any top level elite DE's outside of maybe 1 or 2 guys over the period of time that he was at Baylor.

Iamcanadian
03-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Clady had a very nice rookie season but he isn't the type of LT Parcells prefers. Long is far more physical than Clady and far better suited to Parcell's system.
How could Clady dominate Seymour since his responsibility would be to handle the OLB's in New England's defense. Seymour would be far more likely to be the OG's responsibility certainly in passing downs and in running plays Clady if he did take on Seymour, he would get help from the OG or be asked to block the OLB.

MarioPalmer
03-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Clady had a very nice rookie season but he isn't the type of LT Parcells prefers. Long is far more physical than Clady and far better suited to Parcell's system.
How could Clady dominate Seymour since his responsibility would be to handle the OLB's in New England's defense. Seymour would be far more likely to be the OG's responsibility certainly in passing downs and in running plays Clady if he did take on Seymour, he would get help from the OG or be asked to block the OLB.

You would think that, but I watched that whole game and Seymour and Clady went at it the whole game. It was an excellent battle and Clady got the best of him. As a matter of fact I think that was when Seymour was on that early season tear when he was destroying his offensive line counter part. It was a fierce battle between the two, and your right Long is a better run blocker and is more physical, I just like perfer my OLT's to be beasts at pass blocking.

It's the same reason why I would take Orlando Pace over Jonthan Ogden. You really can't go wrong with either one, it's just a matter of what you want your offense to lineup.

stephenson86
03-15-2009, 12:49 PM
http://www.goldengatebias.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/jason-smith.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/144/322325017_342081acda_o.jpg

based on pure sexyness...gotta be smith

Michigan
03-15-2009, 02:50 PM
based on pure sexyness...gotta be smith

Until you realize Jake Long has the closest thing to a 317 lb six pack in history.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2008/football/nfl/02/23/combine/Jake.Long.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Sports/ap_jakelong_080411_mn.jpg

http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/jakelongdrag1.jpg

the decider13
03-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm glad Clady got some respect in this thread, I was gonna be mad. I've had my Clady sig on here since 2 months before the last draft. He was my dream pick for the Broncos, and he already (IMO) asserted himself as a top 3 left tackle in the NFL. And everyone who is using pro bowl as a measure should also consider the all-pro team. Which of course, Clady made. And Jake Long did not.

To get back on topic, I would take Jason Smith over Jake. Might even take Monroe over Jake, but that one is closer.

stephenson86
03-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Until you realize Jake Long has the closest thing to a 317 lb six pack in history.

LOL haha fair point, but jason smith just looks like teh jesus sex in his pads

but none compare to

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/andre_smith.jpg

now there is a lineman body that would melt chocolate from a mile off

batsandgats
03-15-2009, 05:55 PM

not even close, sorry

katnip
03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Jake Long looks stronger when they both came out.. Plus a beast at Michigan..

So better prospect, smith > long = No

PACKmanN
03-16-2009, 01:31 PM
LOL haha fair point, but jason smith just looks like teh jesus sex in his pads

but none compare to

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/andre_smith.jpg

now there is a lineman body that would melt chocolate from a mile off

lol, is he holding his stomach in? But I wouldn't take any of these OTs over Long or Clady, maybe Monroe